Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022

Go down 
+7
nm131
Leah_Anders
Kattayl
rachel741
Nebraska Wildfire
sistergrace
RosieAnnie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Dan Ker

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2024 9:34 am

1) Kid's sister

"We all fail at some time" -
So true. Even a self-proclaimed genius. And sometimes these failures cause terrible effects for those you care for, for the most time.
I like your ending with giving us an explanation for their deep worry about each other, together with emphasis on the prompt.
Heyes took his promise very seriously. But he, obviously, traced his friend's career closely.
"What's he done this time?"
Interesting background of Kid. In fact, we know nothing about it.
So, he also was in an outlaw group and got his reputation.
Kid's eye-catching horse certainly added to this reputation.
Also interesting your description of Heyes being an obedient patient. It's true, someone who likes to talk appreciates a silent person at his side.
I'm glad the Marshall turned out to be quite indulgent with Curry killing one of the men who had killed his parent , in contrast to the sheriff/deputy. Good /bad lawmen we all know from the series.
I like the scene with the guard doing crosswords to pass the time, though nine down for 'armed robbery'? Well, there's a formula for everything, right?

2) Penski

'Better try and fail than to never try at all'
This idiom can support you in every life situation.
Well thought and worked out structure by picking up different time lines to think of situations in which the most confident person can get nervous, leaving familiar territory and doing things for the first time.
The most important thing is to hide your nervousness and keep your emotions in check - but behind each poker face the fear of failing exists.
In your story you only concentrated on Heyes. He is the thinker, the one susceptible to overthink things and therefore, even if he, at a certain point in his life, is overly positive and hardly admitting failure, such ideas might cross his mind.
I like that, according to each situation, he received the advice to stick to the idiom or passed in on.
And finally sometimes, perhaps on the long run, the saying turns out to be true if you have faith enough.
Good idea.

3) Kattayl

I have to admit I had problems to get into the story. I didn't know which timeline, couldn't assign names to persons or draw a connection to Heyes and Curry.
I don't know who the person is who wrote the letter but I like the essence of it;
a reminder for others to always believe in
"Never be afraid to fail" and to pass on the advice to further generations.
I like the statement or dogma behind your words.
We all have to make decisions in our lives and it's wrong
"to not do something because you are afraid" (of the consequences).
In advance, no one knows how things will turn out.
It's believable Hannibal and Jed were afraid to get into the outlaw business. I like your add "it turned out to be profitable".
To be afraid to leave the safety and shelter of DH is understandable, too.
There's a lot of wisdom in
"you'll never grow, never spread your wings, never real your dreams".
And most of all, "never let fear change you".
I can only hope or wish that there are more people, who will be able to overcome their fears and follow the steps to a happy life according to the prompt.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Never Be Afraid to Fail   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2024 3:36 pm

Hi Dan Ker,

The people referenced in my story and their background can be found in chapter 37 of Winter's Refuge. Jose Ortiz, Mac MacGarson and Laz McWinters were started the original Devil's Home Gang.

Thank you for your review

Kattayl
Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: A Midsummer Night   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2024 8:23 pm

I really like the Sam and Joe stories. Yep, them coyotes are smart. Glad that Joe ran into Charlie, animals are much smarter than most people think they are. Gin does fit right in with Whiskey and Brandy.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2024 4:39 am

Aww... A donkey as a watchdog hating dogs!
In the middle age in Europe gooses acted as watchdogs, too.
I like your chosen names whiskey, brandy and now gin!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Penski Midsummer's night dream   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2024 5:31 pm

Ah Joe, Sam and Buddy are back!!! Enjoying this body of stories around them. Coyotes are a problem everywhere and all over here right in the middle of Los Angeles. Maybe we should borrow Gin from them. Loved Buddy moving and running in his dream. I always wonder what dogs are thinking when they do that.

Good Job!!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2024 6:28 am

Hello there one and all...
And a special hello to Penski, who is our solitary contributor this month.
Ah, Coyotes, always pesky critters... ('But, but... our cubs are so hungry...')
Dear Kid, is going to keep watch with Buddy - Awww.
And Charlie IS right - we have a brave defending donkey.
That was so enjoyable, Penski.
wolf wolf wolf

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 10:13 pm

Kathy - What a melancholy story.  Jed the lone wolf as his partner and two friends are now gone.  I love the story of Clair, Heyes and Kid.  The line about the dimples as deep as canyons that women find irresistible was cute.  I especially loved the scene at the grave - some great lines there.  I found I wanted to know what the Kid has been up to since Heyes died.  So, what's next for the Kid as he waits for his time to go?  Loved this one!  Thanks so much for participating!  applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Notes on Many more miles   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2024 2:54 am

Kathy, what an emotional story. I cried at the end when Curry put the penny on the grave. Good heartrending use of the prompt
Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Many Miles To Go   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2024 4:53 pm

Kathy:  Beautifully written.  Heartbreaking.  A great story.  So sorry Kid is alone.

Kattayl:  Love the way this is written.  Always looking for the next adventure and always managing to do so.

Sorry ladies, I got the names and stories mixed up.

Penski: It was great to read about the start of Joe and Sams' new lives. Love the stories.

Last edited by ingin6 on Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2024 7:18 pm

Kattayl - I loved how you wrote this with the same basic ending for all seven sections of their lives, and yet you managed to twist it just enough to not be exactly when it came to the Kid being hungry. I was trying to decide which section I liked the best and couldn't come up with a favorite because I loved them all. Wonderful challenge using the prompt! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Penski Many Miles to Go   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Penski,

I enjoy Sam and Joe stories and we get to have an origin story and know how they picked their new names!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2024 12:35 am

1) Kathy
Hello there Kathy, thank you for coming out to play - I think you are a first time challenger ??
Ah, so the Kid has come to say goodbye to an old friend.
And we are about to go find the memory box ... what will we find? An old love letter? Consider me waiting...
Oh, I say, Clair gave Heyes his hat band?! My lip quivers. And Heyes' last letter to her... quiver again.
Awwww, that was very touching.

2) Kattayl
A little Han and Jed, I always love those ... and they are running away to war. (Don't go boys, it will only lead to trouble - ah, I see they were home by nightfall)
And now we have them running from the Orflingnage...
And from one of Kid's first gun fights ...
(This is very well structured, Kattayl)
And an early successful train robbery...
And running from a possee after going straight - and dear Kid hungry every time
And the amnesty coming ...
And babies...
AWWW - what a clever zip though their lives, Kattayl

3) Penski
Hello there faithful Penski
Ah, so this is when they first decided to just 'disappear'.
Bless the hotel keeper for appreciating the bath.
And fresh name choosing - since Smith and Jones always gets comments, smile.
Sam Anderson and Joe Barton.
And so, ... the adventure continues... train train train

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2024 8:31 am

Kathy

I like your usage of the prompt in two different ways, literally and figuratively.
A short stop to express condolences before heading on to Porterville means to cover a good distance for Curry.
Sometimes a trip of many miles not only brings joy to the traveler but gives you time enough to think.
For Curry to think about the past, in the past for Heyes to think about his lost love. Heyes'
'travelling' hatband - everything 'comes full circle' again.
Strong sentence, "tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all ' - wise words.
Good idea for the origins of Heyes's hatband and why he was fond of it.
I like the easiness of Kid joking about Heyes in heaven - fitting for a person who is not fully convinced about a life after death but does not want to give it up alltogether but truly believes in seeing his partner again.
'We traveled so far together, we will do it again'... In a figurative sense.
Good idea, a story for reflection.

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2024 9:02 am

Kattyl

First of all - I love the structure of your story, covering different moments of time in Heyes's and Curry's lives with repeated phrases uniting them.
To travel many miles can imply leaving home and your old life behind you.
Fine idea to use the keywords looking for 'great adventures' together with the repeated ending of each part to provide food as a basic need to keep up the strength...
Travelling to find 'Great adventures' can express looking forward to something that entails fun and changed, new circumstances.
In my opinion you used the expression to describe something positive, combined with an uncertainty of results - good basic for two active boys and later outlaws, as well as a kind of life attitude, meant to be a companion to sustain hope and anticipation.
Fundamental requirement might be to travel many miles...

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2024 9:23 am

Penski

Many miles to travel to a new spot to start a new life - I like the idea for Heyes and Curry.
Especially during their quest for amnesty they have learned to cut down on things, only sticking to basic things. Something which often goes along with traveling...
I'm sure glad Heyes can double their money at poker. I very much like that Curry also adds to their income the best way he can.
Traveling to say goodbye to their true names and aliases - total cut of their past.
It's interesting how they chose their new names and, I admit, for me surpring that Heyes's name is related to Samuel Clemens, the original name of Mark Twain.
BTW, Clemens is still a common German name, used as well as first or second name.

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2024 12:59 pm

Oh calico, loved the boys wandering into different genres....spock the son of plummer and sister Julia snorts. The dramatic pauses. Oh and Heyes and Columbo, match made in heaven. So much fun.

EleanorW. Really enjoyed your story. Nicely action packed, fun banter.

Maz McCoy. Good choice of story Dan. Nicely visual, well described. Good portrayal of the guys friendship.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

EleanorW and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2024 1:14 pm

Dan Ker - One Small Step
By Maz McCoy
Good pick, Dan Ker!  Maz McCoy really has a talent for capturing the essence of the boys in the dialog she writes.  It just wouldn’t do for Kid Curry to be having “not nice” thoughts about Hannibal Heyes.  Great challenge story!

rachel741 - Nothing to be Afraid of
These snippets in time are well done.  I enjoyed the coin toss making its appearance, and Kid’s line about not being one of Heyes’ “marks” was perfect.  I liked that the fellas now recognize there is plenty to be scared of, and your closing line hits the spot!

EleanorW – Making the Leap
Talk about a leap of faith!  I can see why this is your favorite, EleanorW.  Very well written, and you had me sitting on the edge of my seat.  Loved it!

Calico - A Change of Scene
Oh. My. Goodness!  Did anyone ever tell you that you have a wildly creative imagination?  Too, too fun!

Penski - Nothing to be scared of
by Nell McKeon
This is a great choice for your favorite, Penski.  Nell McKeon is a fine writer.  Even though the subject matter is dark, she scores high marks in my book!

Penski -  
A Twist in the Tale
Your tale has a big Twist with a capital T!  The Kid was obviously confused, but then again, it was a confusing time for all of us who experienced the change of Bilson to Heyes back in the early 1970s.  Well done, Penski!

Kattayl -- Forgiven but not Forgotten
This is a good one, Kattayl.  Since we know Heyes and the Kid were both kind of sweet on Clementine, and later, both enjoyed the company of BeeGee, it doesn’t surprise me that both had eyes for the same gal in their early years too.  I like how you used the prompt in writing this challenge. Two thumbs up!

Gemhenry (and Penski)
A Starter Paragraph
by C D ROBERTS
Wow!  I definitely remember this one and the eerie feeling stuck with me all day the first time I read it.  Great choice, Gemhenry (and Penski)!  Great piece of writing C D Roberts!

Penski
Five Years Earlier...
by Calico
This was another good choice, Penski.  Calico, you’ve always done a fine job of writing the boys as children, and you’ve certainly done yourself proud with this one.

EleanorW, Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2024 2:52 am

1) Sister Grace
Aww, thank you for coming out to play.
An Acronym - how very nineteenth century appropriate, smile. And very pity and witty too!

2) Penski
Oh bless! A perfectly executed robbery, Wheat doing a smashing job distracting the deputy with an outhouse question ... and all for just $200.
Very nice indeed, Penski. safe

3) Calico
Are you a new joiner Calico? I don't seem to remember seeing you on the challenge...What's that? Check the old records? Ah, welcome back you old fleabag. I think they should have made you actually finish that list though!
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2024 4:36 pm

Kathy. Enjoyed this, glad Heyes and Clara parted on possibilities. Kid's right, hard to settle with his reputation. But he should take chances. Nice use of the prompt, with the repeated use throughout. Very good challenge.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2024 2:17 pm

Kathy - Thanks, again, for coming out to play! Loved your challenge as you used the prompt several times. Poor Heyes' ego... Will it ever be the same? I have to agree with the Kid about having a wife or children with his reputation, even if there is amnesty. Loved it! two thumbs

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Family Day   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Kathy:  I really liked this story.  A different take on things.  Liked the Kid pushing Heyes to make a decision.  Kid's decision not to be a father is hard but you can understand they whys and wherefores.  You left it open to a follow up, maybe?

Rachel741:  This is great.  Jed, totally trusting Han to throw him in the river and he would be fine, unless the current was really bad, but then his Pa would save him from drowning.,,, Oh my.  Sure glad that they spotted that log.  Wings????????   too scary to think about.

Penski: Loved this. Bittersweet. The celebrations bring back good memories. Their decisions about the future and not having families are sad and painful, a lot of thought went into them. Heyes not certain that he could stay in one place and Kid not wanting a family to suffer because of who he is and what could happen to him.

Last edited by ingin6 on Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total

rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2024 9:26 pm

Rachel - So glad you took a quick break from your wonderful Tapestry to write a challenge. Love childhood stories and I can see a small Jed wanting to do whatever his big cousin wants him to do. Poor Bridie is gonna have to keep a close eye on her son to keep him safe. Good idea about using a piece of driftwood instead of Jed. Cute story! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2024 11:35 am

Just finishing up with comments on Two Hundred, then moving into Family Time

Penski – Two Hundred - Under the Tree by InsideOutlaw

Great choice!  This one had my heart pounding!
 cactus

Penski – Two Hundred

Oh well!  At least they didn’t get caught!  Kid Curry was giving off some seriously intimidating Rip Wheeler vibes in this one Penski (if you know him from Yellowstone). Well done!
cowboy

Calico – Two Hundred

I loved the fade out!  The exchange of offended looks was fun too.  Hope you dabble your Calico paws into writing more often! (I can still hear Heyes recitin’ that list in my ‘magination.) egcat  

September

Kathy – Family Time

A sweet, tender experience for Heyes.  I especially liked the boys' final version of “family time” for just the two of them.  
Favorite line: “You know, there’s no question that I’ve got a silver tongue, and you’ve got the fastest draw I’ve ever seen, but sometimes I wonder just which one of us really is the genius,”  dogval  

Rachel741 – Family Time

I always enjoy a tale of childhood days.  It’s a very good thing that we know young Jed grew wise enough to talk his cousin Hannibal into doing things a safer way.  A very happy, homey, family challenge!
  two thumbs

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:52 am

Penski that was an enjoyable read. I especially liked their conversation at the end. You shoulda asked. Snorts, nice one Kid. Heyes definitely has a restless nature, and I liked how you described that. The easy friendship between them was a joy to read. Lovely challenge.

Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2024 2:54 am

1) Kathy
Ooooh, a little romance for Hannibal Heyes.
And he's in lurve... Aw. I have to say, I do think Heyes has rather earned that deflation of his ego - she is being perfectly kind and civil, but maybe you are not quite as irresistable as you think, young man.
Ah ha - we are leaving the door of hope open, he's going to write.
And meanwhile - he still has family time, 'cos Kid is family.
Thank you for indulging all we Heyes Gals, Kathy.

2) Rachel
Ahah, a water displacement experiment - and Jed is the perfect weight. I have to say driftwood doesn't sound nearly as much fun.
And something about wings is brewing for AFTER the family picnic day.
What a fun short that was, Rachel.

3) Penski
Hello to you Penski
I think the boys can cope with family friendly Sasparilly just this once (like Doris Day as Calamity Jane.)
I am sure a free buffet is making up for a lack of saloon activity.
And - awwww - we have wistful memories and 'what ifs'.
Almost getting a sniffle hear - of course they are already family. Sniff. and will see what’s beyond the bend together.
Liked that a lot, Penski

4) Kid's Sister
Hello to you, Kid's Sister
Oh dear, has Heyes' gal been kidnapped by a disgruntled ex- fiancee?
Well she has done well to climb over her own pinioned hands... very supple.
But the rescue goes well and - we have a wedding! And an arch of outlaw guns. Good heavens.
Awwww - what a happy, family day.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9