Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022

Go down 
+7
nm131
Leah_Anders
Kattayl
rachel741
Nebraska Wildfire
sistergrace
RosieAnnie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Kattayl

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Your review Paying Twice   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 pm

Hi Dan Ker,

I always appreciate your insightful comments. Winter's Refuge is my version of a prison story for our boys and the aftermath. It is posted in FanFiction.net and Archive of Own Own.

Kathleen (Kattayl)

Dan Ker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 11:15 am

Leah Anders - You're the first one outta the gate again this month. Being from across the pond and not exposed to British foods, I would be at a loss of what to order, too. The Kid ordered something he thought sounded familiar, but it definitely wasn't. Heyes was smart to ask questions. I'll have to find a pub and try some of these dishes myself. Enjoyable challenge. thumbsup

Leah_Anders likes this post

Back to top Go down
Leah_Anders

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 12:01 pm

Penski,
Being unfamiliar with British food myself, other than what I’ve learned on the Great British Baking show, I had to research it a bit. Hopefully, I didn’t get it too wrong for our UK friends! Thanks for reading.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 pm

Kattayl - I love how Heyes and the Kid are getting back together and need to learn that they can only trust each other. Poor Heyes learned the hard way to listen to his partner and his words of wisdom. I like how Kid Curry got back what was stolen or due to Heyes. Wonderful challenge! two thumbs

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: March 2023 Challenges   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 11:20 pm

Leah--Love our boys trying British food, especially Welch Rabbit! Creative use of the prompt!

Penski--Another governor welching on a deal and that the straw that broke the camel's back. Glad they want to stay honest. Great use of the prompt.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 2:16 am

Well done all three of you for managing to wrestle the prompt into three very different but enjoyable tales.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2023 2:21 am

1) Leah_Anders

Hello to you, Leah
An ENGLISH pub in the Wild West – is it the (D)Rovers Return ? Or the Woolpack?

Ah, Welsh Rarebit – what a treat. Clever.
Obviously Doe Rarebit though, rather than Buck Rarebit if there was no ham lurking under that cheese.
AND, you boys will lurve the Shepherd Pie bunnysuit

2) Kattayl

Hello there Kattayl.
I am a bit concerned about this Cane managing to drag Heyes’ left leg…. Oh, I see what you mean.

Aw, poor Heyes, so poor and he’s wasted his beer.
And all those regretful thoughts over how he and the Kid split up.
Well, Heyes, thieves do welch on promises – you do know that.
And the Kid’s gun flies into his hand – I know you didn’t write that, but it did, huh?

Ooooh – and Heyes gets THE hat in this encounter, also clever.

3) Penski

Hello there faithful Penski

Ooooh, finding the Governor’s son. [From the very title of the challenge, we feel even if they do – it won’t help them much.]

Oh, dear, a hangover followed by the shakes. Poor chap.
I’m not sure a single week will have cured him boys…

And, another welching governor. Mind you, if they didn’t keep welching, there would be a dearth of plots.
VERY episode like, Penski

Kattayl and Leah_Anders like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 5:13 pm

Oh, my goodness, Rachel741, I LOVE this challenge plot and hope it does become a long story with the adventures of Thaddeus Jones and Joshua 2.0!  You are so dang clever!  I can see the Kid realizing that his gun gets them into trouble and that Heyes deserves the amnesty more than him.  Will Joshua 2.0 be Joshua Smith, too?  What are you doing?  Get writing more, my friend!
 writing

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2023 10:34 am

Leah Anders - Clever use of the prompt. I loved English Pub food the few times I was across the pond but never tired Welsh Rabbit. I can see where Kid would make the mistake of thinking it was some kind of rabbit stew. To my American ears some of the names of British dishes are a tad strange.

Kattayl - A different take on the prompt. Unfortunately, it was not the only time or last time one or both boys had someone welch on money owed. Heyes did learn his lesson on gangs though.

Penski - - Well one more Governor welched on the deal. looks like this is the last. Heyes and Curry are taking their next best option.

Penski and Leah_Anders like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2023 2:11 pm

Racheal 741 - I'll say things don't add up. I did watch season 3 and there were some fine episodes, albiet they would have been better with Pete. I like how you capture right away the different dymanic between the two still outlaws.

No disrespect to Roger but he was probably the best villian in ASJ and I could never get over him as Danny Bilson.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 1:03 am

Penski. I always look forward to the Sam and Joe stories, and this was as good as usual. The boys bang in character, and passing on their hard won wisdom, with the fairness you'd expect from them. Excellent challenge.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Penski   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 4:02 pm

Loved seeing Sam and Joe again and the way they handled Johnny!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 9:24 pm

mn131 - Yay, you finished and posted this story!  Obviously, the Shoshone can track as good as Apache.  Loved how the Kid knew his Indians and where they are located.  Smart but crazy Heyes plan to go on a stormy Lake Tahoe.  I've seen waves that can be surfed on in that lake when it's windy.  They're lucky on four accounts:  they didn't drown, they didn't lose their belongings (thanks to the Kid), they found their horses, and they lost the posse.  Wonderful story in not too many words!

rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2023 2:10 am

Nm131. Exciting story. Loved Kid learning about Indians, seems something he'd do to add to his ability to protect them both, a role which he takes very seriously.  Nicely done. Good dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 02, 2023 11:03 am

Oh folks, I am SO sorry – I just plain forgot yesterday. Bad, aging Puss Cat! sorrykitty

1. Rachel

Hello there Rachel, here I am late again, and wishing someone would bring me a cup of tea.

Oh dear, that IS a worrying message for poor old Kid.
And poor old Lom, always having to pass on difficult messages.

Ooooh, so they are splitting the boys up – BAD things will happen, always do.

WELL that is a very good hook for further stories to come, Rachel. What will happen? A new temporary partner?
Clapping

2. Penski

Hello there oh faithful one.

Who is taking the oats? Do they have a hiding orfling? Or rabbits? Or a phantom porridge maker?

OOOh strawberry with rhubarb – I could fancy that.

I am extremely intrigued here – I don’t feel I suspect Jonny or Hank.
Is it one of the horses running a sneaky game on the side – smile?

Well, that shows I am not the great detective.

Oh, bless – that was amicably settled.
What a heart warming little tale. Sigh.

3. NM

Hello there NM. You will be pleased to hear my mug of tea has arrived.

Oooh, go to the Bucket of Blood – what a name!!

Naughty, naughty, Kid! You know you are supposed to save yourself for the exclusive use of the ex-outlaw society…

Nice views of them hurrying to leave town.

Singing “The water is wiiiiiide I cannot get o’er, nor have I wings, on which to fly… I’ll build a boat, just for two…. And both shall row… The Kid and I…”

And poor old Kid gets first turn with the oars.

Exciting stuff! Strike out for the shore, boys…

Ah ha ! A recycled story – if you wait long enough the right title comes back around

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm

Penski - I enjoy reading about partners in their new life after they have given up on the governor(s) granting them amnesty but not given up on the honest life. I'm glad they were firm but compassionate when things didn't add up and employee was stealing from them. They might however develop a nice little side business. LOL, Kid wanting his oat bags back.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 2:09 pm

Kattayl - I love Valparaiso stories (okay, I like almost ALL stories involving Heyes and the Kid) and seeing how certain traits are beginning. Showing Heyes' punishment and fear of the dark works well with your current story "Winter's Refuge". I have no doubt that Heyes is the smartest in the school and well deserves the chance to go to the private school. And Jed Curry is smart, too, so he'd do okay in the private school as well. Having them gone during the week probably made the dean a happy man. Poor Jane Brown - I felt sorry for her trying to fit in and then have Jed and Heyes think her hairpiece is an animal. Love Heyes developing his silver-tongue to make her feel better. Wonderful challenge and use of the prompt! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2023 6:30 am

Lol Penski that was cute. I like outlaw stories and that was a good one. And Wheat playing on the guy's egos. Fun challenge.

Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Crowning Glory   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2023 9:55 pm

Penski, what a cute story and Curry and Heyes, the Crowning Glories of the Devil's Hole Gang! And of course Wheat has to stir up trouble. Kyle to the rescue and all ends well! Very Creative!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 7:08 am

Kat - Welcome to the wonderful world of writing challenges - so glad you decided to play with us! I love different stories about how the Hanford job went so wrong and your story was one of the more plausible. Of course, Heyes wouldn't have planned a job if there wasn't serious money to be had. Sometimes getting in his head for one of his plan is difficult, but you did so very well. Yep, they had the money, but lost it in different ways seems perfect solution. Loved the reference to 5th Victim's saving a partner from a mountain lion. Great challenge and I hope you'll be back next month. It's a fun challenge to write for all the prompts. thumbsup

Kat likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 9:08 am

Welcome Kat! This was a wonderful plausible reason as to why the Hanford job only netted them $73. I loved the reference to 5th Victim and the mountain lion! Nicely done :) The dialogue was fun. Enjoyed this.

Carl Sagan

Kat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 10:52 am

1) Kattyl

I'm always fond of childhood stories. 😊
I admit I am a little unsure whether I understood the prompt the way it was meant, because I found two different translations, slightly different in their meanings but in your story both meanings would be fitting!
1) version Nr. 1
crowning glory = crowning finale

You made good usage of the boy's streaks in their juvenile years.
Strong point is the connection of their attitude to share their loot with others - at least with friends.
I had to laugh about Heyes's foresight to store upon salve for emergencies.
I like your idea that a person can handle his own fears better while concentrating on other things. Jed really is an empathizing friend who is helping in a way which is not embarrassing.

I don't know if it was intended for the Dean to call Han "Mr. Heyes" but it certainly would be an explanation why Heyes prefers to drop this form of address in later years.
Your suggestion that the Dean is strict on one side is believable and nice to see he strives to support some pupils to visit another school on the other side - no matter which ulterior motives are motivating him.

Also, I like your characterization of Jed. I guess he wouldn't be too eager to have to learn more at school but as long as he is together with Han he will go along with it.

2) version 2
crowning glory = to put a crown on somebodies head

A wig as a crown ~ clothes make people
I think poor Jane has suffered enough because of her hair - after all, children can be mean.
But secrets attach together...
And Heyes, even at that point of his life, as well as Jed, is no angel, either.
I'm sure Heyes will make good use of their knowledge.
And not before long, Jed will appreciate a kiss from the female gender...
Enjoyable read, well implemented prompt.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2023 11:25 am

2) Penski

Oh, great... Obviously, there is yet another meaning of the prompt, at least for me..

I admire the way you manage to create the atmosphere of an episode just by describing the first scene right from the beginning.
A scene popular and loved from all ASJ fans.

I very much like Kid's blunt statement, "You ain't making love to it. Just open it." Reminds me of a short story by Shade Nightwalker.
Also well done is the way you display Kid's role as supervisor of the robbery and Heyes as the talented safecracker.

It's really interesting. The first part of your story is an imitation of the pilot. You are using the basic to change and develop the plot into the direction you want it to. That's the reason why your stories are always so close to the series.
The introduction scene enables you to point out that both men are on the same level. They both deserve to be called "crowning glories".

Your characterization of Wheat is perfect, his attempt to draw attention to himself by playing the rough outlaw in an effort to show everybody how efficient and easy he can handle his assigned task. Always a good one to stir up trouble or needle somebody with an oh so casual remark.

Beautiful Kyle's position as an in-between and arbitrator.
To share the crown is never easy and it is so human to fell for troublemakers!
With your imaginative ideas, so easy in themselves, the prompt  seems to implement itself almost  on its own.
I'm fond of your outlaw stories.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2023 7:50 pm

nm131 - You found time to come and play with us again!  That makes four of us in the "sandbox".  Your ficlet made me laugh. I love how you showed different ages and yet nothing had changed - the girls still loved Jed's golden, curly crowning glory.  You had to have some Heyes in your story, too, but I bet he wished you just plain ignored him instead of giving him lice - poor Heyes.   What a fun challenge! sm

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2023 9:26 am

nm131: cute story. Poor Heyes! And yes among much other loveliness, the Kid's hair was plain gorgeous in S3!

Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next