Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022

Go down 
+7
nm131
Leah_Anders
Kattayl
rachel741
Nebraska Wildfire
sistergrace
RosieAnnie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ingin6

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Blue Moon   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2023 2:51 pm

ukrachel74:  Short and kinda' sweet.  It would be a tough decision to make to be with someone who could get killed just because some 'wanna be' jerk wants a title that could get him killed too.place

Penski: Poor guys, having to leave 3 towns because someone could spot them. That is tough. It is amazing that the sound of the eruption could be heard so far away and that the smoke and ask could impact things even around the whole globe. Glad that they could find a safe to stay for while. Enjoyed it.

Last edited by ingin6 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 pm

Rachel741 - Poor Kid can't seem to get a break from his reputation as a fast gun.  Sad that he can't get a steady girl because of it, but I can't say I'd blame the ladies.  I often wondered about the Kid getting married after amnesty because he could make his wife a widow easily.  Nice that his partner seemed to know exactly what to say to make him feel better.  Loved this!  sm

rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 10:12 am

Kattyl

Good description and comparison of thoughts of an outlaw - not all of them are dumb.
Weighing the pros and cons is a feature not all of them are able to accomplish (correct word?🤔).
Your story is cleverly written, we can only guess who the narrator is. Actually, I was pretty sure...
Small implemented hints give us an idea of a special person, like
   ●the mind keeps him from sleeping before a job
   ●change of management
   ●cocksure
   ●full of himself
   ●better getting out of the business
Hints used to make the reader curious to go on reading your challenge but which can apply to several semi intelligent outlaws as well.
The one last job - very tragic.
I like the group constellation with the surprising end.
Well done.

Kat and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Your review   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 5:12 pm

Hi Dan Ker

There are actually two writers with similar names. Your nice comments actually are meant for Kat while I am Kattayl.

Confusing I know

Kattayl (Kathleen Taylor)

Penski and Kat like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 9:23 pm

Sorry, next time I will pay better attention.

Kat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Your review   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 10:20 pm

Hi Dan Ker

It's no problem.. Just wanted to make sure Kat gets the praise she deserves.

Dan Ker and Kat like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 3:53 am

Penski- poor boys, thank goodness for their old friend! I loved the Kid's sarcastic retort, in response to Heyes' own snarky comment about the sunset and the moon. Made me laugh! Fascinating look at how widespread deadly volcano eruptions are. Nicely done.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 9:46 am

Hello there Kat,

Ooooh, so who is this thinking?
Is the cocky new leader, Heyes .. OH OH
It is the poor guy who gets killed.
Henry Maxwell Jenkins …
Love it Kat

NOW – I did a challenge once as a missing scene with Henry Maxwell Jenkins as the protoganist.
I have just posted it in overspill if you are interested

Hello to you Rachel

Good heavens, Kid. If only there was time travel, there is a whole queue of Kidettes here wanting to be your gal. (Of course, some of us, I mean, them, are a tad on the mature side for you.)
Chin up, you just need your notoriety to die down a little and to meet the right lady.
Very nice, Rachel.

Hello to you, faithful and reliable, Penski

Oh, Kid – what a scamp you are!

And, bless Lucy – making the Sheriff blush as she diverts him.

Oh, poor boys – just one spotting or familiar name after another.

Penski, we can always rely on you for a bit of real history. Krakatoa, huh?
NOW, I knew it could be heard and felt continents away, but I did not know about the blue moons.
That was REALLY interesting – and what a clever use of prompt.

Penski, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 10:29 am

Penski

Nothing better than some true history in a story; fine research.
In addition, it is interesting how you made use of the facts and how you combine them with ASJ.
We know the boys have to be very observative in general in order to survive. Only natural if you think of how much time they spend on the trail they notice the changes of nature.
I like your repeated question,
"I wonder why?" (BTW, I counted 6 times).
Curiosity on the run is admirable.
What I do like best is the comparison or allegory you are using (if intended) :
Heyes and Curry are constantly on the run, one unlucky streak after the other. No matter where they are going,
"It seems like everywhere we go, there is someone we know who wants us."
"The same thing that's making them colors is here, too."
Nature is everywhere, following them. The effects of a catastrophe on the other side of the world are noticeable in their own small world - make them pensive, maybe let their own problems seem minor.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 6:17 pm

Inside Outlaw - Oh, I love being entertained by Heyes and the Kid while learning something new.  I had never heard of Samhain so thank you for the links to learn more about it.  Love how they resemble scarecrows during the robbery and how the Kid's stomach made him want to check out the old lady.  A very spooky story indeed!  Are they sure they didn't have little people stew?  Laughing  Great Halloween and prompt challenge! applause

(Thanks for coming out to play with me.)

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: What I Herd When I Was A Kid   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Penski: Enjoyed this one. What a time for Kid to remember something Heyes told him years ago when he was a kid.
And he found out that Heyes lied to him. I am quite sure that Grandpa Curry could tell some really tall tales.

InsideOutlaw: Was Heyes thinking of choking Kid with that twine? That woman sure knew Heyes: I don't see evil in you but I see mischief, sure got that one right, your a liar and a thief and proud o' both. And your name ain't Arthur.

Penski, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 6:36 pm

Kattayl - YAY someone else came out to play with me - the more the merrier! Oh, a new poster covering the Kid's is a good thing. Oh, oh, poor Clem! I loved her disguise and I bet her shorter, lighter hair was cute on her. The courtroom scene was tense and well written. So glad Clem did her civic duty and put those criminals away. Wonderful challenge! two thumbs

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 11:27 am

1) Penski

Hello to you, oh most faithful of challenge players…

Ooooh – is it a were-Coyote???!! (Gosh, that was a while back!)

I love the original Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Junior

Dear Kid, obviously Heyes really made an impression when they were young with that story.

Ooooh - a man dressed in leather with a fur hat - I think we may have a suspect. Smile.

AND – is he just deflecting suspicion?

I guess we will never know!!

Clapping, Penski

2) InsideOutlaw

Hello to you, Inside Outlaw … (I need tea, where is my tea?)

This is making me think of BlackAdder II
“We have put a BAG on his head… “

Poor Kid.

Will Heyes be inventing the Balaclava later?

Oh dear, do we have a witch? (It’s like a fairy-tale, Grimm. Yours, Ann Old-Joke)

Well, she has Heyes down pat with her character reading, huh?

Clapping again, glad the boys got to share the stew after all.

3) Kattayl

And hello to you, Kattayl

Oooh, another double act are being posted over our boys’ posters… that’s what going straight will do for you. Yesterday’s outlaws.

Of course you are going, boys. You always deliver for Clem.

Clem, she needs witness protection!

And Kid has spotted the HE …

Well done boys! But of course they don’t want to return to a court just for a thank you.

Very good Kattayl

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 7:29 am

Penski

Your contribution is a good example for true lies -

I especially like two things in your story,
- the casual conversation about possible reasons for disappearing livestock within the ongoing poker game, which draws more attention to everybody in the saloon than the mere game.
Lovely, not only Kid's fast draw achieves that but his incidental remark, too
- it is funny to imagine Heyes' realization after his words, "what a foolish thing to say", when it dawned on him he was the one who planted the seed..
Also funny and very well fitting is their conversation about the origin of the word,
"I changed it"
"Why would you do that?"
"To sound smart"
"not a lie" but "sharing imagination" - splendid

InsideOutlaw

Another fun story.
Good to see there was a time Heyes had realized a good disguise is worth a lot not to resemble the already existing description on their wanted posters.
I am tempted to say, spooky outlaws enveloped in burlack sacks are hard to be taken seriously. Good comparison of Kid they would look like "my horse's favorite daydream".

Grimm's fairy tales in the Wild West. The described witch may not have had in mind to put them in the oven, though I would guess that adult outlaw's meat is not as tender as young one's meat...
But your witch is (as most witches are, at least the few I know of)  smart enough to assess Heyes to be a "liar, thief and to be proud of both".
I am sure the said did not like his partner's description of "looking like a demon but being a pussycat " - but one thing is for sure; they can be dangerous if necessary but in their hearts they are not evil... Old witches are wise.

Kattyl

Usually Heyes and Curry are not the ones to convict other outlaws - but in your case these outlaws threatened a friend of them and are known for their violence, which Heyes and Curry don't approve of as we all know. So there's no question what they would do.
I like their silent conversation you used twice - characteristic, they know each other by heart and in certain situation they don't have to use words to each the respective other's opinion.
Also I like Kid's part of identifying the male outlaw in the courtroom. After all, he is a close observer.
Though Clementine's sentence, "he is an unemployed ranch hand that decided it was easier to rob banks than work" must give our two boys something to think about - that was their line of work too for quite a while, which they were proud of...

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 10:03 am

Rachel741 - Oh, I really loved this challenge.  When I started reading it, I stopped and reread your Absent Friends one first and I''m glad I did.  So thankful a sister intervened which reunited Heyes and the Kid.  I always love a reunion story and this was no exception.  two thumbs

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Burning Question   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 3:10 pm

Rachel74:?  I too had to go back and read Absent Friends.  This was a wonderful follow up.  Loved every thing about it.  Kid realizing the mistake he made in leaving but wondering if he can go back.  Heyes knowing that he needs to find Kid and get things straight between them no matter what.  The sister, not keeping from Kid who his visitor was, it all worked perfectly together.  Great story.

Penski: I liked this a bunch. Laughed out loud when Big Jim asked Heyes what he had done to make Kid Curry angry. Liked their meeting in the saloon, Heyes had to be careful just what he said as not to anger him yet again, he almost did. guess Kid was in too much pain, tired and hungry to get let it bother him. Liked the meeting with Big Jim and Kid's getting angry about hiring out his gun and almost leaving, until Heyes told him explained to him about Jim wanting that reaction. He was the man they needed in the gang.

Last edited by ingin6 on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2023 9:08 pm

Oh that was good Penski. Loved the fact despite their time apart the trust in each other is still strong. Jim knows 'Hannibal' well. Very good challenge, loved it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 4:50 am

1) Rachel

Hello there Rachel!! I have tea, and for once am not running too late.

Ooooh, is he still with the nuns after all?
Awwww, he is! And he is going to try and find HH while Heyes looks for him. Aww.

And a variation on the Smith and Jones gag – am clapping.

“All wide eyed innocence and dimples…” Yup, that’s the other fella.

And they are back together. How lovely.

That was VERY enjoyable Rachel.

2) Penski

Oh, we all like Big Jim, don’t we?

Liking the ‘We need to talk’ ‘YOU need to talk’ exchange. Heyes does like to talk.

Oh, poor old Kid. All bleeding and hungry and …. Aww

Oh Kid, should you say yes to Heyes … or No. No, I guess, but you won’t – and it good to have a friend look after you.

And what a good ending. Will he? Won’t he? (Well, we think he will, smile)

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Sweet Sixteen   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm

Rachel741:  So Jed is sick, again.  No money, things do not change much for them for a very long time.  I guess that Jed was too sick to remember that he had $4.00, but it was for put away for a special reason.  Glad that he got well in time to celebrate Heyes birthday, that was a gift in itself.

Leah Anders:  That was cute.  Clem talking to Lizzy who was reading and not listening reminded me of Kid and Heyes when he is reading.  Of course she was concerned about how she would look in the dress she had young men to attract.  Sure hope the boys made it to the dance.

Kattayl: I enjoyed this. That was pretty grown up of Jed to not want to pay for his first kiss. Things never changed, even at 18 Heyes was trying get Jed not to draw attention to them. He did get his first kiss without paying for it and he didn't even initiate it. Protecting the ladies even then.

Last edited by ingin6 on Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 9:44 pm

Rachel741 - awww… a very sick Kid and a frustrated older cousin.  Heyes had a lot of responsibilities for someone turning 16.  I love stories when they’re on their own after leaving Valparaiso.  Nice of the hotel clerk to take pity on them and give them a cheaper room.  Love that the Kid was saving money for Heyes’ sweet 16 birthday.  Really enjoyed it!

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 7:57 am

Leah Anders - Yay, another Sweet 16 challenge! I can so see Clem parading in front of a mirror admiring herself in "the most expensive dress in the store". It really didn't seem to be about the boys attending but the girls who would be there and jealous about Clem's dress. Loved how Clem met Han and Jed and how Clem loved both - couldn't choose. And yep, the boys seemed okay with sharing her, too. Loved this. Very Happy

Leah_Anders likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2023 5:26 am

Leah Anders

Clem at the age oof sweet sixteen.. Very well imaginable standing in front of a mirror enjoying herself in a fancy dress all the while chattering.
To invite the 'best prospects' of town to her debutante ball might be a good idea.
But what would such a great event feel like, not having some of your dearest friends around you?
Can't be wrong to boast with two good looking boys in front of her girlfriend.
She is sure of Han's and Jed's adoration and does not deny their mutual background.
I like how you describe their friendship and 'arrangement' with her "preferring to keep both of them dangling on a short rope."
True to the series.

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 7:29 pm

Aww kattayl that was cute.

Carl Sagan

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Sweet Sixteen in Jackson   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 6:40 pm

Penski

Was really enjoying the parties celebrating Joe's 50th birthday.  But has all that joy brought trouble?  You had me smiling and partying with the boys until the cliffhanger ending....very good!

Last edited by Kattayl on Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 6:45 pm

Kattayl - Oh, I loved this story of the boys being teenagers and trying to survive in the world with whatever job they can get. Of course, Jed would protect the rancher's daughters from some drifters. Love the rewards he got from them and yet he knew to watch it to keep his job. Nice way to turn 16-years-old. Loved this! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022   Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022 - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments - from 2nd May 2022
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next