Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22

Go down 
+16
EleanorW
calicole
Gan Ainm
Remuda
Nebraska Wildfire
InsideOutlaw
WichitaRed
sistergrace
Maz
Kid4ever
Dan Ker
Nightwalker
MoulinP
Penski
Calico
RosieAnnie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2021 3:18 pm

November stories:

Rachel_74_1: I love the way Heyes can adopt that "aw shucks" persona and explain his odd fascination with the safe. How about those four fellas who show up in the cafe? Sounds like you've got the first chapter of another longer story here.

Kattayl: Wow, even I don't remember half those ladies. No surprise to me that Grace Turner was tempted into criminal activity through her desire for big money. Lots of fun here, and then you take us back to the reality of the outlaw life with the tale of what happened to ThreeT. Not exactly a surprise, I guess, but it was a shocking end to your story.

Penski: I feel real sympathy for Heyes here. I'd go nuts, too, if I was locked down in a hotel room for two weeks --- which is one real big reason I'm not going ahead with some hoped-for travel. At least us modern folks have lots of ways to entertain ourselves.

NM131: I was almost reading this between my fingers, afraid to see what would happen. I was pretty sure you wouldn't kill off Our Boys, but I was worried about the horses. Boy oh boy, our fellas took a big risk, and they nearly paid for it with their lives. Would've been smarter if they waited until a train passed and then crossed afterwards, but hey, if it wasn't for bad decisions, there'd be no fiction writing at all.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 8:10 am

Inside Outlaw: absolutely loved this story. Brought a huge smile on a day that I am not fond of (for none ASJ reasons).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 8:54 pm

Inside Outlaw - What a friendly gathering to celebrate Heyes' and Curry's amnesties (and maybe encourage some of their outlaw friends to join them in their own quest for amnesty.  Nice that Lom helped set it up.  Loved seeing everyone there and talking about the good ol' days.  Wonderful.

Rachel741 - How the great have fallen!  There was a sadness as I read how hurt and exhausted Heyes and the Kid were that they went to the Hole for a few days of rest.  Of course, Heyes took the attention away from his partner so he could rest.  Loved how Wheat saw it all and pondered on how wise the quest for amnesty really is.  Very good challenge.

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 12:28 am

Penski. Felt for the two exhausted boys. Glad they finally got rest. Lol, oh Harry. Enjoyed this.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 2:48 am

Hello and Happy New Year Again …
I am a tea free zone here – I must cough down the stairs meaningfully.

1) InsideOutlaw

Ooooh – they have the amnesty and the gang’s all here. Lovely.
Heyes had horse shoes that could run across ice? Like snow tyres? Hey, he really is clever, huh? Awww – what a lovely ending line about better days ahead. Awww.
Thank you, Inside

2) Rachel

Oh, Wheat. You know you don’t mean it. You will make them welcome you old softy.

I knew it!!! Aww.

Poor old Kid though. Still, he is quiet and warm – sleep well, Kid.

3) Penski

Hello there Penski, oh backbone of the Challenge.

Ooooh, what is happening at Rock Springs? (And how tatty is floor three of the Copper Penny?)
Harry Briscoe?? Huzzah!!
Love him getting the names wrong as per usual.

Penski, you are giving us a soaking wet in underwear scene – you just spoil us, huh?

Oh, poor boys – where ever they go the noise follows. And then they yield to – ahem – another kind of tempting friendly gathering.

Very amusing Penski.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 8:40 am

InsideOutlaw

A fitting story for the end of the year.
It's always the same. At the end of the year we take a look back happened throughout the year and the next look is straight ahead with New Year's resolution.
The gathering of old friends underlines such thoughts.
For some people it's like a cut - in your case the boys got their amnesty finally.
In hindsight memories can be better than they really were.
After a little time confrontations are forgotten and all that's left is a, little wistfulness.
I like that Heyes, despite of all his joy to have reached his goal, sort of mourns after the old times. True to his character. In his active outlaw days he was admired for his actions and brilliant ideas - the future remains uncertain.
Good his partner is at his side to steady him.

Rachel74

Enjoyable and good characterization of Wheat right to the point of his constant fear to be dethroned by his former leader.
Well capture, of him being tough on the outside and soft in the inside.
I had to smile about his decision to see himself in the role of a generous friend and to have the feeling of holding all the aces for a chance.
Good part,
"he is confirmed in his opinion Heyes isn't as smart as he figures".

I like your description of Heyes' attempt to camouflage his and Kid's true condition and reason for their request to stay in DH. Although this time he isn't all successful.
Fine expressions,
"how the mighty have fallen" and Wheat's surge of derision and gloating about their "strive for an impossible dream".

A gathering of friends is not always easy, but if you have nothing better to hold on to, on some old friends you can rely. That's why we have friends.

Penski

Whenever you need a reliable introduction, Penski is there.
In combination with phrases like "soft beds, first drink or dinner, dismounting in unison", you always manage to bring me into ASJ mood.
Together with your description of Harry Briscoe you show how close to the series you can write.

The sentence "Quit looking so suspicious" with an accompanying eyes roll from the other made me smile. I could imagine the scene at the saloon very well in front of my eyes. On top Harry's mistaking their aliases - that's it.
Big grin on my face reading about "moaning Myrtle" and "wondering if she's pretending" - well, afterwards one of them might tell if it's true...

A funny story about two ex-outlaws under the wonderful  Motto "No rest for the weary" ; not even nature can provide some peace and quiet.
Only one suggestion: I would have wished a more detailed description of the scenery the moment they heard the gunshots. First I had a wrong picture in my mind. Small thing.
Good repitition of "You can't be here", which seems to become a permanent companion for them.

All together, an amusing story about Bannermen agents stealing the sleep of two wanted men. In earlier times it was the other way round.

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 1:54 pm

InsideOutlaw- Nice story about a gathering of Heyes and Curry's old friends. It was nice of Lom, another old friend, to facilitate the meeting even if he couldn't attend. Isn't it the truth when relfecting back on one's lives, people tend to focus on the good times and the struggles can fade behind rose-colored glasses. Trust Kid to keep the partner's grounded in the here and now.

Rachel 741 - Loved the characterization of Wheat. His insecurity and caring hidden behind a tough exterior and bravado. You illustrated well that life on the run without a safe home base is exhausting and fraught will troubles. Old friends come in handy as long as the barriers are acknowledged. Your descriptive language allowed me to easily picture this story.

Penski
- Very funny story of the sleep-deprived partners in search of much needed rest among a gathering of Bannermans. I appreciaed the appearance of Harry and he's true to form. In a story with many good lines and scenes, I admit the "moaning myrtle" pretending brought the biggest smile to my face.

Hope everyone is having a safe, healthy, and happy holiday season. -NM

wreath chbottle

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2022 12:15 pm

Rachel741 - That was quick writing to post so soon - good for you! Love outlaw stories and I can definitely see Heyes and the Kid being swayed by alcohol, women, money, and power. That was a cute image of Rosie on the Kid's lap wearing his hat. Really enjoyed this challenge! two thumbs

InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2022 2:35 pm

Rachel:I could just picture Wheat being first threatened and then pleased by his former leaders appearance in the Hole. Tired and despondent as our heroes are, Wheat can afford to be gracious but wary. Good story!

Penski: Lol, this must be how they got so exhausted before Rachel’s story! Too funny how Harry kept showing up at just the wrong moment. Enjoyed their frustrations and attempt to sidestep the visitors.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 12:57 pm

Kattayl - What a fun challenge hearing what very drunk Heyes and Curry made as their last year's resolutions and what they thought should be back on the list.   Animal... Laughing   Yep, a healing Kid would be serious about getting outta that business.  Loved this!

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2022 6:35 pm

Kattayl - This was a fun story to read even with it's serious elements. Loved to hear about their past drunken New Year's Resolutions and whether they kept them or not. They did about the same as I usually do. The current resolution has promise, though. Thanks for the enjoyable read.

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am

Kattayl. That was a good read. Loved the mix of humour and seriousness. This year's resolution has promise.
Nm131. That was fun. Good banter, loved the bank scenes. Always fun seeing Miss Porter. Enjoyed this.

Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 9:21 am

nm131 - What respectable former outlaws Heyes and Kid Curry are becoming with a PO box and a bank account.  Sounds like they took their new year resolution a notch higher.  Heyes' enthusiasm is contagious.  Love that Curry has competition with Miss Porter - one who's not keen on the attention the Kid is giving her.  Wonderful challenge!

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2022 10:31 am

1) Rachel_74_1

Hello there Rachel!

Aww – Going Straight only made it through one day last year. Bless

Please may I be that Kitty-Kat purring at Heyes

Nice short there Rachel.

2) Kattayl

Hello there Kattayl.
Oh, they were making a list – they were checking it twice
You know our boys are both naughty and nice…

Monthly baths for Kyle – love it. (I take a bath nearly every month if I need it or not )

Ah, visiting friends more – good one.

Touching last resolution there, Kattayl … Nice ending

3) nm131

Hello to you NM

Oh dear, cold and broke – that’s going straight for you.

Dear Heyes, suppose someone robs the bank? – AH, he has thought of that, but decided it won’t happen.

I am loving the boys overseeing the paperwork as they try and open a bank account.

And Miss Porter is still flirting away with the Kid. Hmmm ...

They did it! They have a joint account and a post box. Clapping hard here – it is a start.

4) Penski

You can’t just disappear boys – who would watch your weekly adventures and otherwise do what the Ladies Appreciation Society do?

Oh, not sure I like Sam and Joe as much as Joshua and Thaddeus … But, gotta admit those are anonymous aliases.

What a lovely fireside scene of our boys thinking about settling down with some livestock. And running a livery – they’d like that.

Maybe that is what happened huh? And that is why the weekly adventures stopped.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2022 6:25 pm

Rachel 741 - Aah whiskey, women, and song are powerful inducements to resolution breaking, not to mention having money to spend freely. But when the alcohol wears off, and the lust is satiated perhaps the benefits wont outweigh the risks and alternatives will seem at little more attractive in the new year. Good outlaw story of them living large on ill gotten gains.

Penski - A nice mixture of bittersweet reality, sadness, and a hopeful ending despite their unsatisfactory legal situation. It is a shame that they had to cut Lom out of their lives but probably necessary. One quibble Sam and Joe? Those names are as bad as Smith and Jones but there are a ton of Sams and Joes around, especially in that time period.

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2022 1:00 am

Penski. That was lovely. Bittersweet but very real feeling. Enjoyed it.

Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2022 6:52 pm

rachel_74_1: Nope, I don't remember most of mine, either, though I do usually still remember them on Jan. 2! The lure of the outlaw life was still too strong for Our Boys at this point in their lives.

Kattayl: Like most of us, resolutions are about good intentions, but we all find it's harder to keep them than it is to write them. Looks like their resolution for the new year was one they would actually keep.

NM131: Nothing says respectability more than a savings account and a p.o. box, does it? Of course the bank at Porterville is "safe" since Heyes couldn't open that Brooker. Miss Porter's intervention was timely and helpful!

Penski Why chase the elusive amnesty forever? Of course Our Boys would figure out a way to use their skills and make a decent honest living. I wonder, though, what Lom's thinking, since Heyes and Curry no longer contact him? Does he think they are dead? Or just gone back to their criminal ways? Enquiring minds want to know!

Penski, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 7:51 am

Rachel74

That's really human, "resolutions can wait a little longer". Who doesn't know that?
The basic idea to stop robbing is there, but if it goes along with money to spend to enjoy the beautiful sides of life, they are easily pushed aside... Like all other vices, they help just in the right moment and now and then a bad conscience surfaces,"you should stop doing that because they aren't good for you"....but nevertheless, you don't listen to the voice...
Good explanation that the thought of leaving the business was already there, like a growing seed, but the right time hasn't come yet.
As we all know, New Year's resolutions don't last long.

Kattyl

What a figurative comparison; really splendid that they stored their resolutions list from last year under a loose footboard! A good place to always remember them!

Nice reference to Heyes' scribbling. In fact, we never saw Kid's handwriting in the series...
Funny thought of the both of them fighting over the correct color for the leader's cabin. I agree, whenever they run out of arguments in their younger days they tended to resolve that in a more physical way...

Most of their resolutions were unrealistic and dismissed, except saving money.
Good stylistic mean to reach the highlight and end of the story:
All other resolutions were read out aloud, except the last one.
One of the most famous sentences of ASJ.

nm131

And there they are... Once again flat broke.
Funny, Kid's realization of the fact, their last New Year's resolution did not work out. So true, he's the one who sees things down - to - earth and realistic.
"Money flows through our fingers like water." One of the miracles of the series. They always didn't seem to be able to hold on to their money, not even during their quest of amnesty..
I guess that's the way they grew up, without anybody who taught them such a way of living. Because, honestly, Heyes' poker skills should have earned them a stake to save a certain amount of money.
I like your description of Kid's realistic point of view, a professional gambling isn't safe enough at their current situation.
"Poor payin’ jobs, havin’ to skip out town before gettin’ paid, losin’ our gear when our mode of transportation had to change suddenly, not findin’ jobs, havin’ to pay for rooms, board for the horses, and food all the time." Good summary.
I like Heyes' reflection he did save money earlier during his position as the DH leader.
Well written your description of Heyes' verbal expres​sion(" Heyes’ voice contained a faint note of disapproval or was it accusation.") and the Kid's respective reaction ("His hunkered-down-into-his-sheepskin posture straightened and he shot an incredulous wide-eyed glance sideways at his partner. “You’re not blamin’ me for us havin’ next to no money!").
As well as the contrast of their behavior in front of the Porterville bank (" Heyes: self-satisfied smile and excited expression", "Heyes exuded self-satisfaction and his brown eyes shined with anticipation.")
Kid: nervousness, indecisiveness
"aura of a vague dangerousness. "
That's vivid description, which easily creates a picture in my mind.
I like the difficulties they had to cope with to open an account, like papers and an address, a post office box, something they never thought of before.
Good capture of Miss Porter, too.
Beautiful to see their first steps into reorganizing an important part of their lives. That's what I would call to implemt a resolution.

Penski

Now, that's something. A following up to your Adventskalendar story!
I found their decision to strive for amnesty right up to a certain day amazing and very decisive.
And Soapy has the same opinion, obviously. ("Soapy, we’re giving up on amnesty.”
“Well, it’s about time.  Those governors have just been stringing you along, never intending to give it to you.”) Sometimes, your friends see things more clearly than you yourself ...
Lovely idea that Soapy helps them to get started with an 'early inheritance'.. He was fond quite obvious.

I like that their personalities during their quest for amnesty have changed so much, that now, at this point of their lives, they can make long-term goals.
And they learned to have the courage to change important things and not to resign themselves to jobs they don't like on the long run.
Two New Year's resolutions, which turned our "two good bad men" into " "two good, honest men”. They earned it.

Penski, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2022 9:50 pm

Kattayl - I've really enjoyed your series Amnesty but First Penance.  You've had such clever penances.  This one seemed like a trap and a no-win situation.  Thanks to a Heyes plan, it became a win situation.  Loved the spunky Miss Drake!  Obviously, there are folks who want to see Heyes and the Kid fail in their amnesty / penances challenge.  Looking forward to the next penance story since this one was another winner.  Loved it! two thumbs

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2022 10:15 am

1) Hello there Kattayl,
I am late but I have tea so let us slurp and read 

Nah, safes are no fun if you know the combination, huh?
Ooooh – so are the boys right? Are they being set up for a trap?

I am very intrigued here, Kattayl – what does Heyes want the tar for? Ahah! Like an early version of staining ink – Clever K.

Huzzah! Justice is served – and Miss Drake gets the last word.

Very enjoyable Kattayl.

2) Penski

Oh, Penski – how do you do it every single month?

Are we having a Big Mac story? Lovely

Oh dear, an efficient bounty hunter. They are the worst kind.

Oh poor boys – wrists all bleeding.

Is it? Is it? Is it THE actual masked man? It IS – and he knows the opening lines about our boys. Bless.

This is just a nostalgia fest, Penski. What a gentleman he is.

Ooooh – I did not know that back story on the Lone Ranger. I did use to watch it when I was a youngster though. Sigh. I did enjoy that.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 4:08 pm

Kattayl: Terrific story! You managed to put Our Boys' talents and naturally suspicious natures to good use. It doesn't surprise me that a bunch of sheriffs would take the opportunity for a little comeuppance.

Penski: I love it! What a fun story! Of course that mysterious masked man and his companion would know the right thing to do. Maybe not the strictly legal thing to do, but the moral thing. Nice work!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 7:48 pm

Kattayl - First outta the gate, again!  How do you keep coming up with such clever plots?  Staying in the same cells and in solitary confinement with your partner can't be all bad.  Thankfully they were in Idaho and not Wyoming.  Really enjoyed this challenge!  two thumbs

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2022 1:12 pm

kattayl- that was fun! Nice one :) Very glad Smith and Jones were the ones in jail!

Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Inside outlaw. Great look at what the guys have to put up with on the trail to amnesty. Kid shows an amazing patience and I am very pleased Heyes calls it quits. The ending was just perfect. Excellent tale.

Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 6:53 am

Inside Outlaw - Love the very fitting names in your challenge - Disappointment Valley and Grimes. How low has the two most successful outlaws gotten in their quest for amnesty. Kid Curry showed remarkable restraint against a bully. I felt their relief when they could quit the jobs. Shame on Grimes for his attitude! Loved the well-deserved ending! Wonderful challenge! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22
Page 15 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next