Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22

Go down 
+16
EleanorW
calicole
Gan Ainm
Remuda
Nebraska Wildfire
InsideOutlaw
WichitaRed
sistergrace
Maz
Kid4ever
Dan Ker
Nightwalker
MoulinP
Penski
Calico
RosieAnnie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Eleanor Ward - I'm so glad you were inspired and had some time to write. Loved their expressions when they found out the news. I can see them being dumbfounded. Lom is a good friend. I can see Heyes and Curry wanting to do those professions. Smart how they raised the needed money for a new life. Planting a tree as a memory was special - good thinking, Kid. I really enjoyed this challenge, Eleanor! applause

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 7:10 am

1) Kattayl

Hello Kattayl,
I have my mug of tea – ready for reading and commenting.

Oh dear! Our boys are in prison, hefting rocks.
And, Awwww – they get to do solitary, but together, with a deck of cards. Could be worse.
Nice. The boys are out again, and being philosophical.

2) InsideOutlaw

Hello there Inside.

Buck Grimes – what a great name for a grumpy boss. And, Disappointment Valley – I love it.
Hey, he is covered in grain like Captain Kirk being covered in Tribbles from the grain store. Well done, Kid.

3) EleanorW

Hello Eleanor, long time no see.

Yeah! They have amnesty.

Horses for Kid, the law for Heyes. Yup, I can see that.
And, they’ve done it. They have a ranch. And a tree planting.

4) Penski

Hello there oh reliable Penski.

The gang is planting a garden? Lovely. No, make that four small gardens. I do love to garden – can I help, boys?

Awww – stone soup. We all share whatever we happen to have. And Preach adds a little tot of interest. That was sweet, Penski.

EleanorW, Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 10:44 am

Rachel741 - So glad you found the time to write a challenge! Sometimes the short ones are packed with a lot and this one was. Poor Jed feeling guilty for hurting his partner. Laura is spunky, but it would take a gal like that to be Heyes' new partner. That last line was perfect! Loved it! sm

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2022 6:37 pm

Kattayl- Prison in Idaho, well at least it's Smith and Jones and not 20 years. The work was definitely hard on the back so they just might have preferred a shared solitary cell with a deck of cards. Interesting challenge - thank youi.

Inside Outlaw - From someone who has difficulty with coming up with names, I'm in awe of this story Grimes, Disappointment Valley, and Heartbreak Ranch all are great names that set the stage for the story. Of course, Heyes comes up with the perfect plan and timing. LOL, Grimes comeuppance.

Eleanor W - This story appeals to the tree lover in me. I live in a home surrounded on three sides by woods. My husband and I for our first Christmas together in our new (then) home got a live Christmas tree and planted it in the spring. It's now a full grown very big spruce in our front yard. Good for the boys, they have amnesty, careers that they enjoy, and planting the seeds for a successful future.

Penski - I agree that Home Grown veggies are vastly superior to canned (or frozen). Loved Heyes; quip "says the outlaw named Wheat." in response to Wheat's outrage. I wonder if Hank is from NJ. Everyone knows that there is nothing better than a fresh picked jersey tomato. I'm with Kyle sunflowers are not only pretty but instead of us chewing on the seeds, I leave them or the birds. LOL the four different gardens in the different spots. I can empathize with too much of a good thing, some years you can't even give away zucchini (everyone has too much of their own) Oh no, a hailstorm ruined their gardens but at least they got a hearty meal our of it. Great spring story!

EleanorW, Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2022 11:13 am

First of all, I'm always willing to learn. I was surprised about the meaning of the word  'planting' in the first two stories!

Kattyl

I guess this is the last part of a longer story?
'Planting a fist to somebody's eye' .... Funny way of a description for a foreigner..I'm sure there's 'growing' a fine shiner out of it.
In German, BTW, we call that a "Veilchen" because of its color, in English 'violet'. So, the meaning of planting and growing is obvious.
I am glad Heyes and Curry find a way to survive and stand their stay in a penitentiary. Together, watching out for each other, it sure is easier to act as model prisoners, holding their tempers
And they were allowed to share a mutual cell.
Wasn't that one of Curry's fears to have an adjourned cell with Heyes?
I guess without a pack of cards Kid really could have been tempted to attack his partner...
They can be glad if the governor doesn't learn about the sentence of Smith and Jones. But the foretaste of what life might be in prison will help them to stay on the straight path while waiting for the amnesty.
'Planted' in prison and 'to plant a fist'.... Good, though for me unexpected implementation of the prompt.

InsideOut

The Kid bullied by an employer for a low - paying job.... Very likely that sometimes they don't have another choice.
Kid definitely draws the attention towards himself with his entire attitude! Grimes really can be glad that Kid has learned to control his temper to a certain point.
Wonderful Heyes' attempt to calm the situation. But the silver tongue reveals perseverance even if he has to accept one of his ideas wasn't so good.
I like the name "Heartbreak Ranch" - add "willbreak" and "bodybreak" and you hit the spot.
"I swear I’m plantin’ him", I couldn't find a fitting translation, but I know a colloquial idiom for it, so another funny implemented prompt!
Love Kids quick change of mood from "save it" to a "beaming smile" after Heyes words sank in.... Vividly described and good imaginable challenge story.

EleanorW

Aww.. They finally got the amnesty..
Followed by the big question,
"What do we do now?"
Wonderful Lom's observation, "You’ve spent years harvesting other people’s money and assets. Now it’s time for you to do some planting.”
For planting you need seeds... Good usage of two different meanings,
A)" to plant the seeds of a new life." in a figurative sense - for Kid breeding horses and Heyes being an apprentice a law study ( made me laugh, I think he would be a troublesome apprentice, asking questions all the time...).
With the achieved amnesty, they are indeed like 'seeds', starting a new life out of the blue.
Seeds need water to grow and high class poker games are a possibility.
I had to smile at the idea of both of them being houseproud... Funny thought, if they would fight over tasks...
Great sentence, used not only in this story, 'Planting' needs a "good planning.”

B) beautiful second usage of the prompt, to plant a tree on the day their parents died as a sign they have managed to backtrack(?) on a life their parents would be proud of.
The tree grows as a constant memory how long they new long has already lasted. Sniff...
But I like that you emphasize that they enjoyed their outlaw lives, though they know their families wouldn't approve.
It is only fair to involve Lom in the "tree planting ceremony,”... without him in the background things could have ended differently.

Penski

Now a story which comes close to my understanding of 'planting'.
Funny story of a possible way outlaws would do gardening.
I like that such an idea can only "grow" from Heyes' ingenious mind - and the setting in front of their cabin puffing a cigar is great, I love imagining the scene and Curry's face!
Like a good leader their voting is democratic - and grumblers like Wheat have nothing to say in the matter.
Really sweet, to plant and see things growing is one of the most human basic neccecities and conjures up more than one memory about a time some outlaws weren't outlaws yet.
Lovely, the general idea to have a garden unites some of them, but during the implementation they act individually, each one in his characterist way, challenging each other like, I guess, is a typical reaction for outlaws..
I love, the moment realization hits how much their gardens depend on nature's mood, you pick up the
European folk story to point out that even among outlaws can experience and share the moral regarding the value of sharing.
'Planting' in the context of growing and sharing food. Fine idea.

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2022 7:28 pm

Kattayl:I have to admit I’m really curious to know what ‘Smith and Jones’ did in Idaho that earned them 6 months of moving rock and fending off bullies. Fortunately for them, their innate politeness made an impression on the warden so they got off easier than Rigioli. Nice guys don’t always finish last!

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2022 7:35 pm

EleanorW: After three long years, the amnesty finally arrives and you capture the moment well. Who wouldn’t be blind-sided after all they’ve been through? It didn’t take them long to decide what to do next and then successfully implement it. I guess a career of planning and executing robberies paid off in a way neither they nor Lom ever imagined.

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 pm

Penski:I chuckled all through this one! Gardening in the mountains is challenging to say the least and I loved all the discussions about why each location had its good and bad points. Of course everyone had a different idea about what to grow, too. And it was fun to see Wheat come up with a good plan. Loved the ending with Preacher, too!

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 2:46 pm

Rachel: there’s a lot of story conveyed in this short tale. The Kid’s devotion to his partner, the responsibility he feels toward keeping Heyes safe, and the love and understanding Laura feels for Jed. Very nicely done story!

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 6:48 pm

rachel741 - It seems Heyes married a strong woman and quite a pistol. Laura certainly told Kid what was what even as she was wrapped up in her own worry. I'm glad Heyes will be okay. I don't know if Kid will ever quite forgive himself for that stray bullet, although, it was an accident. You have a lot of story in few words - nicely done.
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 1:27 am

nm131: Lovely. Is it me or is it suddenly a tad warm? Gorgeous story. Loved it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 pm

nm131 - Oh, that challenge was different than what you normally write, but still the high caliber you usually give us.  What a perfect way for Erin to learn more about her husband, who is very quiet about his injury (and for good reason).  It had just the right amount of spice.  Loved Heyes' comments about wanting to know but not wanting to know "that".  Very well done!  two thumbs

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2022 9:12 am

Kid's Sister - Not a new writer but first time posting a challenge - WELCOME KID'S SISTER! Enjoyed how Jed Curry named his boys with familiar names from the series. Poor Ben accidentally shooting his father! Of course, Heyes would come immediately to check on his partner. Yep, the Kid's been hit with a stray bullet at least once before. Really good challenge! thumbsup

rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Kid's sister. Poor boy shooting his father. Glad Jed was okay. Enjoyed this.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2022 11:05 pm

Kattayl - Loved this challenge! The description of Perfection was perfect. Loved that the stray bullet was one that went through a wall. I can see the Kid getting involved in the taking of a baddie and forgetting his pants. Great job! applause

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2022 8:44 am

Kattayl. Wonderful inventive story. Love what happened to ths stray bullet. Fun.

Carl Sagan

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Tal't tinke of the Stray Bullet   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 10:04 pm

NM131:  I loved it.  Yes, it is different but so very good.  Funny how Kid, the ladies man has trouble telling his wife about the naked pictures he has seen in whor..., broht....  I don't think painting a nude picture of Jed is a good idea, he and Erin could have fun with it but if Heyes ever found out (and he would), Kid would never hear the end of it.  I am glad that Erin choose that scar to ask him about, it is one he feels comfortable talking about as he can tease Heyes about how his plan didn't to according to schedule.

Rachel74:  What is going on with Kid that he thinks Heyes will be upset with him, it was an accident, a ricchochet.  I am glad that Laura set him straight in no uncertain terms, 'you are going to set right there'.  Good of Heyes to wake up and put his two cents in.  Short but really good.

Penksi: What a really good story. Poor Kid, you really put him through it. At least Heyes knows what he is going through having been shot in the hear previously. Kid, you should have kept quiet, now you are getting rained on, loved that this time it is Kid who is getting "the look."

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 2:02 pm

Penski. Aww my poor baby. Lol. Nicely done.

Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 5:04 pm

KId's Sister - It was very nice to read a story from you. Thank you for this tale of a stray bullet in the future. Nice to see Kid settled with a large family and Heyes near by. Poor Ben accidently shooting his father. Kid and Heyes reacted in character and took things in stride. Nice story, please join in again soon.

Kattayl - Loved your tale of the stray bullet. It was very easy to picture as you wrote very descriptively. I particularly liked the bit regarding the two different robes. Kid was very much in character, coming to the aid of a needy female no matter the circumstances. My eyes wouldn't have ben focused on the path of the stray bullet, I can tell you that. Heyes was on point and his comment to Kid as to his state on undress was LOL. Thanks for a very enjoyable tale.
r
Penski- Hurt/comfort is right up my alley and you didn't disappoint. You tale of a very realistic stray bullet was well written, as usual. At least Heyes knows what it is like to be shot/grazed in the head. A caring, competent Heyes taking care of a hurting, vulnerable Kid was pleasure to read. Thanks.

Penski, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Penski. I enjoyed that a lot. Could see it working as an episode. Very nicely done.

Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16