Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22

Go down 
+16
EleanorW
calicole
Gan Ainm
Remuda
Nebraska Wildfire
InsideOutlaw
WichitaRed
sistergrace
Maz
Kid4ever
Dan Ker
Nightwalker
MoulinP
Penski
Calico
RosieAnnie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Calico ventured out to play with us!  I love your nonsense - brought out a smile and a few giggles.  Trying to explain the dang tiers to men from the 1880s actually made it fun.  The thought of  chbottle  and a bubble bath...  well, I won't go there.  Very enjoyable challenge!

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2020 4:24 am

1) Hello to you – and happy December, RosieAnnie

Oh, we always like a story with Harry in it.

Poor old Harry, checking out larger ladies – just in case.
Awwww – I love that he is getting some praise and admiration from his landlady.

But, but… Poor Harry. I guess we knew his bosses wouldn’t be quite so admiring. Oh, I see!! This is Harry deciding he might try bending the law next time. Lovely inter-episode filling in there Rosie Annie.

2) Calico

Hello there you old flea bag. Roused yourself for half an hour did you? Do you seriously want that bit of nonsense polled? AH, it means there won’t be a non-polling head to head. Okay, back to your tea and toast you go.

3) Hello there Penski, oh sole keeper of the October challenge flame.

Two poor little hungry orflings – now, will they remind the boys of anything?

Oh dear, - but, methinks I foresee some light at the end of the tunnel.

Is Mrs. Tucker going to suggest they leave??? No! of course she isn’t. Awww. Consider us all having a Hallmark moment there, Penski. Awww.

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am

November challenges:

Calico: Wait, you let them in your home? Were they masked? Because we know those boys should've been masked a whole lot more, when they plying their trade in the infection-free Old West. I hope you made sure they self-isolated before allowing them in, or many tiers could fall. (Pun intended.) I must admit, if those two naughty fellows showed up at my door, I, too, might consider including them in my pandemic pod. Fun challenge!

Penski: Oh, you have to tug at my cold, dead heart during this holiday season, don't you? I detect a wee bit of thawing happening in that abandoned organ. Yes, I loved this story of two lost children who find a home. Even Lobo got into the action by paying for more food for the kids. I do have a feeling that the local law enforcement officers would be seeing a lot of these children, too. I'm really enjoying your continuing story of Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 5:02 pm

Eleanor - You had a bunny hop and wrote a challenge! So glad you joined in on the fun this month. That's a tough posse after them. OUCH - you hurt Heyes! What a blessing to find a quiet, remote cabin so Heyes could get some rest. I really liked how Kid Curry slept in front of the door so no one could sneak in (writing a note to myself). The Kid got his wish for a quiet Christmas. thumbsup

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2020 7:24 am

Rachel741 - Your short story does fit the "A Quiet Christmas" prompt. Glad you decided to play with us this month. I could feel the cold Heyes and Curry felt that first night - temperature and attitude. Nice when they made up. What a waking that would be! I really like Josiah having them do chores like Heyes suggested. Michael sure is wary. Love Josiah and Ellie - wary but welcoming, too. The beginning and end of your story are complete opposites - love how you wrote it that way. Wonderful challenge! two thumbs

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 am

I know late to the November feedback but just had to comment. Calico your story just made me giggle. So funny. Penski. Aww sweet story, two orphans finding a hom. Lovely.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 am

1) EleanorW

Even if it's been a long time since your last challenge you handled the prompt very well.
I think a lot of people, who are the same sociable as Heyes, have to cope with a different kind of Christmas celebration this year. So, your implementation is absolute fitting.

Heyes and Curry had a different idea of how to spend Christmas.
But fate decreed otherwise.
I like the contrast you point out between a pessimistic Curry and a more optimistic Heyes. "It could be worse." Love his positive thinking. Unfortunately, it could get worse...

You certainly are talented to write adventure and hurt/comfort.
Good description of the landscape, easy to visualize.
Increasing tension when Heyes is shot at (and my, you shot a horse, an innocent animal...)
I guess because of the word limit, you couldn't explain, who the shootist was.
Trying to hide their tracks is close to the series.
Good written action scene, step by step, your readers can easily follow. Vividly written - "they cantered through the bed of the creek").
I enjoy your detailed narrating style, good in character.

I like your emphasize that Heyes and Curry, at the end, are happy about the situation, despite the circumstances.
What really is fitting for the prompt, is the fact that they are able to accept a COMPROMISE to spend a different kind of Christmas celebration than they intended, and they are thankful with less.
I think we can learn from the guys;
Before we have nothing at all, we can take pleasure in small things

2) Rachel74

A heart warming story.
What a fine idea to translate the prompt in two different ways:
a) literally
b) figurative

a) Sometimes the worst punishment isn't a fight but to ignore someone by denying to speak.
Even if Heyes usually is someone who likes to chatter or maybe starts to holler when he is riled, the worst case is when he gives Kid the cold shoulder.
I like how you point out how Curry would rather deal with some sarcastic words than to meet a stoical quietness.
With your description I can easily recreate the palpable chill, not only outside but between them, too. Very good.
Literally spoken, quietness can hurt, heightened especially when you expect to be in better spirits.

b) It's a long time since they experienced a pensive Christmas time in a classical way. The time was spent with the DHG or in a brothel. Later, lack of money forced them to stay on the trail, in no mood to contemplate the special spirit. Now they have the chance to stay with a substitute family.
I very much liked Curry's inner conflict : the safety expert within him pleads it could be a dangerous decision. On the other hand, there's the memory of past Christmases with a long missed feeling; a feeling of love and security, he doesn't dare to ask for...
So, I'm really glad Heyes, as angry as he was before, offers to take the chance to stay.
A quiet Christmas time, where quietness feels good and safe.

EleanorW and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Eleanor W. Enjoyed this a lot. Nice how the boys came to appreciate the quietness ofvtheir Christmas.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: A Quiet Christmas   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2020 5:11 pm

EleanorW: I like the peaceful feeling of your story. The boys are in trouble as always, but thankful for whatever quiet they can get.

Rachel_74_1: I’m glad the boys found a sympathetic family and had a peaceful Christmas, not something they’ve always had.

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 am

Eleanor W: Nice to see you again! I loved this story. Our boys are in a scrape as usual, and poor Heyes gets banged up a bit, but they manage to adjust to their changing circumstances and find joy in the simple things. If that's not a Christmas message, I don't know what it.

Rachel74: What a sweet story! I'm so glad our boys accidentally found a family who was willing to let them work for their room and board. I think it fits in with the hospitality, too, that was expected in that era. And of course, our boys weren't caught stealing anything more than a space in the barn.

Penski: A very timely topic! And a good reminder to all of us that disease and quarantines have been around for as long as humans have. We all can certainly understand the boredom of confinement. Lucky for our boys they were able to get outside a bit, after the gang went. A nice appreciation, too, that the holiday is not about drunken celebrations, but about the people in our lives.

EleanorW, Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Rosie Annie - Your challenge kinda hit home with me. Loved how Clem was depressed, rightfully so, about Christmas coming only to have the boys left her spirits. They'd lift mine, too, with all the gifts and food they came bearing. Loved how the quiet Christmas became a cheerful one.

Ctree

rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 10:43 pm

RosieAnnieUSA. Poor Clem. So glad the boys were there to cheer her up. Lovely.
Penski. Such a timely and poignant story. Enjoyed this.
Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 7:15 am

1) RosieAnnnie

A heart warming story.
So true, to spend Christmas alone might happen to people and with this in mind, there isn't much left to leave you in Christmas spirit.
Decorations can work miracles.
The mere scent of the Christmas tree, together with candles and some bakery and to wait for those you are looking forward to, can raise your mood immediately.
I like it that you show that sometimes things develop differently.
Sometimes a family has to seperate, so you can't visit all you would like to see... Very understandable, Clementine's resignation at the last - minute cancelation.

Wonderful expression "oh, my stars!" I always like the welcoming scene when the boys meet Clementine..

"Christmas is no time to be alone."
So true, old friends are family, too. Sometimes they are even closer than your own family!
That's the way Heyes and Curry both are, so determined, whether she likes it or not... And of course, Clem likes it!

I've got a question:
A decorated Christmas tree within the house is a German tradition?
I didn't know that. I always thought it's a common custom. And, of course, I'm delighted about the German spiced wine, it's called "Glühwein", by the way.
It's tradition to drink it on Christmas markets, but this year they are forbidden. It's a beverage that was known even in the middle age. They drank it to keep them warm, because castles were always cold and draughty.
I'm curious if the three of them will have a headache in the morning... Glühwein is sweet and stupefying.

2) Penski

When history repeats itself...

They aren't the only ones who ever experienced Christmas in quarantine.
I'm only glad Heyes and Curry obviously knew something about the infectious smallpox disease.
It can happen so fast... Just to be exposed in a room with an infected person could be enough.

It's funny to see that this time they can't see or hear their antagonist. But that's not the worst case.
To be confined in a jail cell for 19 days is really hard. Funny, of course they are blaming each other for their bad luck....
But Heyes wouldn't be the opportunist he is, if he wouldn't appreciate a night in a warm room, with breakfast for free just to make a break out of it when everything is save enough.
Great expression : they don't want "the family get smallpox"!
I'm astonished even Kyle knows about the contagious disease.
Marvelous, the sentence of all sentences, so many of us already hate by now: "wash your hands and pull your mask up."

Quarantine means boredom for the more agitated Kid and an ordeal for Heyes, even if they are in their homely cabin now.
All others are lucky to celebrate in town. And the possibility to go out for a ride, together with some imaginative measures ensure the both of them a different kind of celebration.
Not a sad one, only concentrated on small things you can better appreciate on a quiet Christmas with only two people around...

A realistic scenario implemented in the 19th century. They can be glad that Wheat didn't avail himself of the opportunity to take over the DHG.

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 2:19 am

Hello there one and all. I hope you all had some cheeriness over Christmas even if the jingling and mingling was off limits.

I am hoping a cup of tea may arrive shortly, meanwhile:

1) EleanorW

Hello there, Eleanor, long time no read – smile.

Dear Heyes, with his ‘It could be worse…” optimism. (I say that all the time, the usual second half being ‘it could be raining’)

Oh, dear – poor old horse. And, poor old Heyes. I feel some bone setting bravery ahead.

Awww … Kid had even forgotten it is Christmas. But tasty rabbit and both alive and safe. Awww. And still hoping the New Year will be THE amnesty year. Very touching Eleanor.

2) Rachel

Hello there, Rachel.

Oh, Heyes, I am glad you came out of your sulks. Nobody likes the silent treatment.

Yes, the utter innocence of a wide-eyed Heyes. Butter wouldn’t melt, huh?

Does young Michael recognise them from somewhere? Ah, no… He is just less trusting. My heart melts as they are invited to stay for Christmas. And their own childhood Christmas memories come back. Awww, all warm and snug and welcome.

3) RosieAnnie

Hello there faithful Rosie Annie.

Oooh, so Clem’s father has remarried. Always awkward meeting the new step mother.

Awww, and Clem has a kind motherly friend already. My Christmas cockles warm gently.

Methinks you may get visitors after all, Clem. Chin up. Yes! Here they are – and they’ve brought goodies. And whiskey. Mmm. Awwww … she gets an ‘old friends are family’ Christmas after all.

4) Penski

And the even more faithful Penski. Happy New Year to you.

Look on the bright side boys. You will probably be allowed to meet one friend from another household so long as you do it at a distance and in the freezing cold. You can also have fun cutting your own hair. (Yeah, smile, it is getting to me a tad.)

That’s right boys. Dinner first. Escape in the morning.

Oh, how we can all empathise with the boys. (Of course, it was worse back then – counts blessings (and hand wipes), grumpily.)

Yes, settle down with Treasure Island, Kid. And dream about cheese.

Now, Penski. I have a complaint – why isn’t the tree decorated with pieces of yellow bandanna?

What a lovely, isolated, Christmas they had. Awww, again.

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
EleanorW

EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 4:46 am

If the pandemic has been good for anything it's in giving me a little more time to indulge in fandom.  Really enjoyed everyones contributions.  Very Christmassy.

Penski: I liked the comparisons to our current situation with the pandemic.  Very clever.

Rosie Annie:
 What a nice idea, for the boys to visit Clem and brighten up her lonely Christmas.

Rachel74:
 A nice Christmas gesture, inviting the boys in from the barn to spend Christmas Day with the family.

http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Calico - I love your repost of that fun story! Hogan's Heroes and Sound of Music were two of my favorites so it was fun seeing bits and pieces of them in your story. Only you could write something like this - so dang clever! Loved it!
wow

rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 pm

Oh Calico I laughed so hard I nearly had an embarrassing accident. Very disappointed that the close up is on the gun butt only though.

Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2021 9:11 am

Rachel741 - Your challenge was melancholy, but full of hope at the end. I definitely can see the boys separating for a time during season 3 as they're tired of trying for amnesty and posses and always looking over their back for danger. Thankful for the additional part added before mailing. Loved it! two thumbs

rachel741 likes this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 3:49 pm

Eleanor. Sniff here's hoping Heyes is safe and well and the boys reunite. Great story.

Carl Sagan

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Eleanor - What a sad tale! I can see something like this happening during season 3 when both are frustrated at still no amnesty. Both are so dang mule-headed, too. Hopefully Heyes isn't dead in an unmarked or alias name grave. Hopefully you'll come up with more to add to the ending. Loved it!

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
EleanorW

EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 am

Penski wrote:
Eleanor - What a sad tale!  Hopefully you'll come up with more to add to the ending.  Loved it!

I didn't consider it at the time, as I was just writing to the prompt, but it does lend itself to a longer story, so I may well do that at some point. sm

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Absent Friends   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2021 8:19 pm

rachel_74_1: You had me worried about the boys, but I loved the hope at the end.

EleanorW: another haunting tale, making me want to read more to see what happens.

EleanorW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 5:56 am

1) Rachel74

How great would it had been, if the first episodes of season 3 would have turned out the way you described, with a returning Pete Duel, who simply left because of a row...

Very good your description of Heyes' dreadful feeling of loss. "Heartsick" is a perfect expression when you can almost feel the sharp pain inside your heart.
I find it interesting that you write that Heyes, though he knows Kid wrote a letter for Clem, didn't want to read it right away.
How terrible must his sense of guilt be, which pushes his curiosity to the back of his mind?
It's very believable that Kid, not a man of the spoken word, is able to write something to Clem, meant only for her not to worry. He manages to write his regret of what had happened. But his pride and stubbornness don't allow him, as well as Heyes, to apologize. Both take things for granted.
Great Kids admittance "I made a bad decision, I wouldn't do it again."
Sometimes the written word is stronger and easier than everything else.
Wonderful way how they could come together again. It was the only incentive Heyes needed to do the first step.

2) EleanorW

The beginning of a New Year leaves a lot of people thinking about the past and the future.
For Curry, it's a sad outlook while pondering on his unhappy decision to seperate their friendship, which was said in anger and out of the spur of the moment with emotions all agitated.
I very much like that you emphatise, that some decisions we make in life are irrevocable, no matter how much we yearn to undo them, even if you would have given all your life.
But regarding to their respective features, it's a believable outcome...
Heyes has gone too far with his sharp, smug behavior. What might have been said in a way not meant to be taken too seriously, caught up Kid on the wrong foot. A row which was likely to happen, especially if anxieties and frustrations are underlying.
Excellent how you point out how quickly a supposed joke can soon become serious - and that works for both sides, a row has always two responsible sides...
Obdtinstion against a snide remark - neither one backs down.
Very well believable both regret their respective behavior and I feel with Kid that Heyes' last look full of anxiety, annoyance, sadness and betrayal haunts him.
The helpless feeling not to be able to reverse a chsnge is something some of us might have experienced as well.

Your story conjures up a gloomy scenario and you don't offer any prospect they will meet again.
Somehow I waited for a happy end - which, like in real life, doesn't always happen, not even in fanfic... Sigh.

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 7:43 am

rachel_74_1: What a sweet moment. I can see both men being too proud to admit to the other that, yes, I made a mistake. It would take an intermediary to break the ice.

EleanorW: This feels like a realistic take on the situation, especially Curry reasoning that his presence could only hurt his friend's chance for amnesty. The scene where they stand silently on the train platform, not speaking, each probably hoping the other would speak . . . very easy to see. All of Curry's worrying thoughts about what might have happened to Heyes are realistic. Here's hoping they get together again!

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Nm131. Lovely, just lovely. So happy to see a story by you again.

Carl Sagan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22
Page 9 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next