Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016

Go down 
+21
stormr
Kid4ever
FrankieASJ
nm131
HannaHeyes
cac
Calico
sistergrace
InsideOutlaw
MoulinP
Cal
Alias Alice
Penski
Maz
RosieAnnie
WichitaRed
Ghislaine Emrys
ChristinaASJ
skykomish
ty pender
Remuda
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Alias Alice

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 2:51 pm

InsideOutlaw
Another brilliant Heyes plan! How on earth does he do it? Because he has clever writers like you, Inside Outlaw, to help him sometimes! Clever and highly original story!
I like the way you captured the boys' tension and anxiety too, before things came right.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Extra/ favorite stories...

cjp242 - Congrats on your first post. It was a great one! Love your descriptions of the area, the storm, the ground, everything. I could see it clearly in my mind. Heyes' differing moods were well explained also. Hope to see you post more.

-----------------

April 100 stories...

InsideOutlaw - Absolutely loved this Hannibal Heyes plan. I have always wondered what the first meeting with that particular sheriff was like. No wonder he has so bad a grudge against Heyes. I enjoyed this!

nm131

PostSubject: 100 Challenge   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 10:50 am

Favorite Challenge

cjp242 - Storm Clouds - I'm glad you decided to post your first effort at a challenge story. I would have never known it was your first ASJ story as it is a beautifully evocative piece of writing. The use of the song and how it is sung and heard throughout the night is a brilliant way to set the tone of the story. It is not easy to write in first person, at least not for me, but you gave voice to Heyes' internal changing emotional ruminations quite convincingly.

Don't hesitate to post more of your work. The atmosphere here has always been quite supportive. I hope to see your challenges regularly. hellowave writing

Kid4ever -Beating the odds are something Heyes and Curry do well even if the outcome isn't exactly as they planned or would wish. I like how you had Heyes contemplating and calculating the chance of Kid conquering the odds one more time. Heyes is very much an odds player, while Kid is not but they both are survivors to the core. I liked both endings but my choice would be the alternate longer version. Thanks for posting your selection. bath

100 Challenge

InsideOutlaw Loved Heyes' creative deception for escaping their desperate situation. I admit in the midst of the tension I did chuckle of the image of Kid scarfing down the can of peaches and then getting annoyed when Heyes snatched the fork away. Nice use of banter between the partners. The sunrise reveal of the Sheriff's name was the perfect ending. Kudos. applause

Calico - I am in awe of your creative genius and your gift for humour, once again!
That was a perfect story compilation of 100 challenge prompts for the 100th challenge if I ever read one. wow
cool

MoulinP Heyes must have used his silver tongue for this plan. Getting the gang members to impersonate Heyes and Curry for distraction purposes on the 100th job was unexpected but it worked in spite of the risky nature for the impersonates. I'm with Kyle on the real miracle was Wheat agreeing to shave his mustache. LOL on the ending conversation. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 2:59 pm

One Hundred challenges…

Calico –
Another unique and very clever challenge from our resident Calico!  LOVED how you celebrated the 100th with a challenge that took us down memory lane with the series as well as the many different monthly topics!  It didn’t seem forced at all.  Lots of clapping  applause  and two thumbs up  two thumbs  for this one!

Moulin P – I was wondering about the red shirts / blue shirts and blond-hair / dark-hair.  Very clever of Heyes (and you)!  What a great way to celebrate their 100th job.  I can picture the gang not appreciating the taste of champagne.  bottle  Wonderful challenge!
   sm

HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 9:52 pm

100 Extra Challenge/Favorites

Kid4Ever - I know I've read this before, but I couldn't remember the ending. Therefore, I was as nervous as Heyes was to find out the outcome. It's hard waiting to find out news of that nature. I enjoyed both endings, but I favor the one on the original challenge. By the way, I completely agree with the saloon girls at the beginning :) Thanks for posting this again.

---------------------

100 Challenge

Calico - Nice to read another original from you! I loved the way you wove all the challenge titles into the story all the while going through memory lane of the episodes. Some of those challenges were from before I found this site. Wonder if I can still find them somehere...? I may have to go on a hunt.

MoulinP 1 - What a diversion Heyes came up with! It worked to perfection. That's alot of jobs they've pulled. No wonder they were the most successful outlaws in the west. And they found that thankfully, the descriptions on the wanted posters are indeed kind of vague and can fit alot of people.

Cal

PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED special   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 1:24 am

Another fabulous special......can't wait

Kid4ever - OOOh no argument from me so far - those ladies got taste.....haha drunk hopefuls....bless...oh philosophical Heyes...well he has read an awful lot of books and I'm not arguing that he's ridden the odds....I'm feelin' an older and wiser Heyes....OK ...what have you done Kid4ever....I'm now moving to behind the sofa.... scared Why do you do this to me....I mean Heyes......Thank goodness the odds were in their favor....ohhh nerves are shot....where's that lovely ending by nm131!
Another roller-coaster ride....your in very good company on this thread....pass the valium....ok yes it was good...I've read it three times....only because I know its got a good ending....different ending? nooooooooo.........

ONE HUNDRED  - April

InsideOutlaw - Goody - Outlaw adventure! Wheat and Kyle too....you spoil us InsideOutlaw. Sorry...been reading ...this is a page turner....yes I'd go after Heyes and Curry too if I was in the posse....what reward? lol....posse chase, love those....oh dear this isn't going to end well....heading for the sofa scared one hundred rounds oooh clever ref to tittle like it....hahahahaha......thankyou thankyou thankyou....that was a fab ending ....and old Clitterbucket thrown in for good measure....that was a romp....loved it!

Calico - This even looks fantastic! - Wow if this doesn't show how much creativity has gone into this challenge thread over the eight years nothing would....I'm going to have to read this through twice...I keep getting distracted by the cool titles....I've been enjoying reading back through the challenges...“Grace did get her comeuppance.  We persuaded her Soapy was the goose that laid the golden   71 eggs   72 and … watched her fall   73 into our trap.  A trap set for purely practical reasons - not ‘cos we bore a grudge.”.....genius miss Calico....This makes me feel very new indeed! Kudos to all you fab writers.

MoulinP - Is that?....well is that?....you doing this on purpose MoulinP....I'm getting brain ache....nooo they've got Heyes and Curry....soo they can't be? I'm confused....OK so our boys are on the Hotel porch...Heyes could you explain the plan to me too! OK I get it....now I can sit back and enjoy the fun....loving Heyes' mother hen act....good banter fest....Preacher in a white shirt hahaha yeah that would be different...champagne is hiddeous...couldn't agree more Kyle....fab MoulinP another triumph from the giggle meister.... happydog
Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 am

reading Celebrating 100 Challenge Stories does have it's advantages. LOTS of reading for the month and we get the chance to re-visit some very special contributions applause

strcat CALICO: Aww, after reading your challenge I'm left with the "what could have been" feeling. Not only for a young Hannibal and Jed, but also for the Hardwicks. They would have made a nice family. Since I enjoy both reading and writing childhood stories for HH & KC, this was a great one to start with for me. You created characters that made ME want to go live with them yes

study MAZ: Great banter between Heyes and Kid; lots of fun moments. A touch of hurt and comfort with Dr. Curry providing the TLC with Heyes being a model patient as usual, lol Love the names of the prospective saloons!  And then, just when I thought things couldn't get worse... bazinga! You throw in their age and how long they've been doing this! Sad  And they still have to deal with those men outside... brb

reading ROSIEANNIE: You took a unique approach to sharing some wonderful news for Miss Porter and Lom. It was fun to read the account of how things transpired to get them to that point. It's interesting to think that the possibility of such a union could happen with those two characters. yes

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 am

bal Continuing on with the EXTRA 100th CHALLENGE...

cowboyclap SISTERGRACE: Right from the get-go I had a huge grin on my face. I share your passion for horses and you described the life I lived as a 12 year old here in CA. I'd ride my bike to the stables by the "riverbed" (a fancy term for a trickle of water - sometimes - that ran through it!) and do just as you wrote. I'd muck out the stalls just to be near a horse! I wasn't above begging or groveling for ANY job that took me near the animal. The owners were amazed that I wouldn't accept any money. Seriously addicted, I LOVE this account and how her attention shied away from one to another. I, too, share that particular passion and agree 100% - sure as shootin' I wanted to get me one of both rifle

lol2  HANNAHEYES: Another story that has me lol-ing just at the thought of HH & KC stuck in a cave with Wheat AND Kyle! That combination is guaranteed to entertain. Great job with the dialogue, bantering, and situations that occurred as the four made their way through the cave. There were several places where I did laugh out loud at what one of the characters said; all were very much in character as far as that, too.  two thumbs

applause INSIDEOUTLAW: Great names for HH & KC - that Heyes and his imagination, lol Lots of fun banter between the two weaved around an entertaining tale of bounty. Glad to see that Heyes was able to get a bit of revenge against his nemesis. yes

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 am

wheel  Still making my way through the EXTRA 100th Challenge Stories...

bottleBEEJAY : When I first saw which story you had picked, I was like happydog This is one of those stories that you read through and think it's going in one direction, then as you get further into it you realize that all is not as it seems. I enjoy stories like that and I've learned to expect the unexpected with most of yours, but this one is still one of my favs. two thumbs

draw SKYKOMISH: A very interesting account of the raid from a different perspective/point-of-view. Nice job sharing his thoughts and feelings as time passed. Tugs at the heartstrings for a young Jed and how the events lead up to an adult Kid Curry facing that man again. yes

applause ALIAS ALICE: A young HH and KC and chickens... sounds like a great combination! I'm glad they ended up with a friendly family for awhile. And thinking of Jed trying to explain where babies come from has me still giggling  Very Happy

two thumbs NM131: I'm glad you were motivated enough to continue. This one definitely encourages the reader to keep reading and has a very "tense" mood throughout. There's that moment when you get to the part where you realize just what Kid is up to and go "Noooooo!" Sigh  Great job in holding the reader's attention. applause

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 12:31 pm

EXTRA 100th Month Special Challenge

Kid4Ever's Against the Odds -
I love how Heyes is reflecting back on their luck as he eagerly waits for the Kid to arrive.  You wrote well Heyes' anguish when he hears the news and knows Curry won't be coming.  At the perfect moment, after you took our breath away, you allow us to sigh with relief.  So well written!  Unlike some readers who scared at an angsty story, my favorite stories are angsty with some (not too much) hurt/comfort.

So what ending do I like best?  scratch I think I like the one you posted on the challenge site with the different mode of transportation.  Maybe I would like the other if Heyes finally couldn't sit still and went towards the crash scene just to stumble on a hurt Curry.  Curious... which one did you write first?  huh

Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 1:48 pm

thankyou Penski, for your comments and input. Now, to answer your question...
I wrote the first version to fit within the confines of the word count, BUT, as I came to the conclusion, I found I wasn't satisfied with it so I wrote the second one. writing
Unfortunately, it was waaaay over and even though I prefer it over the first, I couldn't submit it.
It's kind of funny for me to read your comment about the possibility of Heyes NOT being able to stay there and wait because when I was doing my second version, I did toy with the idee of having him do that yes
Gee, there could be a THIRD version! Very Happy  

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 4:23 pm

IonaGraham - Good to see you back! I knew this was going to be a somber tale both by the the title and then reading where they were. The ending still surprised me though, but seems to be likely considering the circumstances. Very sad but very well written. I'd never read this before, but coincidentally, have had a similar idea for a story in mind for months. I had a completely different ending scenario in mind though. (If I ever got that story wrote, I didn't want you to think I'd blatantly stole your idea.) Thanks for posting!

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 6:03 pm

EXTRA 100th Month Special Challenge wow

Iona Graham's The Lie -
This challenge is heart-wrenching!  So well written and so... I remember thinking "wow" after I read it the first time and I thought that today as well.  Heyes is so positive and Lom to pouring the champagne.  Poor Lom - he'll be sick when he hears the news.  Instead of prison, they did it on their terms.  soapbox Governor!  Doesn't he know what comes around, goes around?  Thanks for posting this one again!  Now where is my tissue box?  two thumbs

nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Extra 100 Challenge    Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2016 6:07 pm

IonaGraham - I'm glad you decided to post a favorite challenge and I do remember this one. It's the kind of angsty, somber, heartbreaking story that have a degree of realism. It was doubly effective as the story started out on such a positive note only to end in bitterness and defeat. I wouldn't have been surprised if the ASJ story did end up with the lie and the partner's response. I hope the Governor chokes on the liquor! soapbox No
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED special   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 3:09 am

And so the party continues - this has proved to have been a brilliant idea Calico purr

IonaGraham - Anybody know a good counsellor - bereavement specialist - supplier of very large sofas scared  You could have warned me! OK......

That was a good read, you certainly showed a fantastic change in the guys mood as events went south....I'm not going to tell you I enjoyed it ....I am going to thank you for the cut back to the £$&%$£! Governor at the end though...very BC&SDK .....I'm so glad you posted though ...what a fantastic breadth of imagination is represented in this thread....vive la difference! dog18
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 100   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 8:21 am

I'm posting comments for the 100 challenge first before heading off to start reading the challenge extra.

nm131 – Great to see you writing and posting again. What a fun story and good research for the prompt. Nice to have a pre amnesty story with the Devil’s Hole Gang. Enjoyed the description of Kid trying to open the stuck door. Also, who doesn’t love Kid practising his fast draw? purr

Cal – Hello Cal. hellowave I haven’t had the chance to read any of your previous stories yet but I really enjoyed this one and looking forward to seeing the full story when it is completed. I can just imagine the look on Heyes’ and Curry’s faces as they turn to face the Indians.

Alias Alice - Kevin had better be careful he doesn’t find himself the target of a con artist now that he has come into money. Heyes and Kid would make good security guards though. Love his plans on how to spend it. Very generous of the old timer offering to help the boys find a couple of gals too.

Sister Grace – Ooh – poor Kid having to sit and listen to Gabby Abby wittering on throughout that journey. I can understand why her Aunt pretended to be deaf and why the other passengers in the stagecoach all seemed to be engrossed in other things. Luckily for the boys Aunt Agatha didn’t want to claim the reward money on them.

Inside Outlaw – Another great pre amnesty story. Lovely images of “The Bounty Hunter” episode with the boys lying on the ground. Wonderful banter between them. I did wonder what Heyes was going to do with the empty cans but as usual he managed to come up with a plan to get them out of trouble and out of Sheriff Clitterhouse’s grasp.

Calico. – Very inventive way to get all the story challenge titles into one story. Love the humour in your stories. thumbsup

MoulinP – Love Preacher’s comment about brown not being his colour. Laughed at this comment from Kid, “Go an’ pace or summat. Whatever it is jus’ do it quietly. An’ stop worrying.” Good to know that the descriptions of Heyes and Curry are so vague
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED special   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 am

Allegra (via Penski) - First of all let me confess - I'm a bit obsessed with AS&J...I know...you'd have never guessed right? But....I have just had a visit from my HP obsessed daughter...first trip home in three years! Well she does live on the other side of the World....anyway...special treat...I booked us on a tour of the studios in London where HP was filmed....in preparation we did an eight film marathon...we both said we should read the books again...she's reading them in Chinese....I'm reading them in Spanish....nothing like a challenge! And now ....joy of joys....an AS&J HP crossover....like Penski my first thought was WHAT?!? Shocked

Oh this was fabulous...a joy to read reading ...this will get my daughter interested in my western obsession....you covered all the angles...the saddle bags of infinite capacity are a particular favourite of mine .....and there you go....mystery solved...the fast draw blur....the cracking of uncrackable safes the strange footage of posse persuits....I'm crying laughing at some of this....brilliant. congrats The girls reaction to the handsome guys is precious particularly in the light of the final reveal.....Kudos!

Thanks for posting Penski....imagine if this gem hadn't featured in this one hundred celebration....only a couple of days left....what else....or should that be who else....needs a nudge! hatgun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 100 Extra Challenge/ Favourites   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 am

Calico – I remember reading this the first time you posted it and how much I loved it despite how heartbreaking it was. It still has the same effect on me second time around. If only they had stayed – how different their lives would have been. And how sad for the Bauers too – all the plans they had made and the disappointment when they realised they weren't going to be taking Hannibal and Jed back home with them.

Maz – Great banter from the boys despite the situation they are in. Surprised by the line about their ages. Still not got their amnesty after all those years!!! And you hurt Heyes instead of Kid?

RosieAnnie - Good to see a story about one of the other characters in the show and nicely written from Caroline’s point of view. Good to see Lom has settled down and that Smith and Jones were able to attend the wedding. Telling the story in the form of letters was a great idea. thumbsup

Sistergrace. - What a lovely story. Great description of Kid - “Nice eyes, nice smile. Nice gait too. Real nice” cool

HannaHeyes – Wonderful banter from the gang. Loved the line "Was you raised by wild animals? Quit licking the wall." Laughing That reminds me of the Mountie in a tv series, Due South who used to eat strange things. Glad they made it out of the cave eventually.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Extra 100/favorites

Allegra - I remember reading this a few years ago. I always enjoy a cross over (if it's not too far out in bizarro world). I enjoyed getting to read this again. Magic saddlebags make sense now ;) I can't help but wonder though, where is the blue-eyed professor's partner? Thanks Penski for posting this.

PostSubject: Extra100/favourites   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 am

InsideOutlaw – Heyes never could resist the challenge of opening a safe, especially the latest model. Glad he was able to teach Paulson a lesson in the end. cool

BeeJay – Ooh, I remember this one. It does stay with you a long time after reading it. Poor Heyes having to deal with the loss of Kid and the guilt he would feel. A great angsty story and I loved the twist in the tale when I realised where the waiting room was. wow

Skykomish – Wonderful first person narrative. Very moving and with a great message about revenge and forgiveness. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Penski - OOh feeling that storm:windy: ...love the racing sideways rain....Hah...of course the sturdiest building would be the jailhouse....thats our boys taking care of their animals...will you get in the warm already I'm getting cold reading this....bounty hunter? nice injection of peril....is he coming back?....Yeah, he sure didn’t want to give up, even with some persuasion What did they do?....wanted popsters?  ...Must be over a hundred of them! well there would be this month Heyes! “Make sure you burn ours.” ...love it! ...oh all warm and cosy now....thankyou Penski....ooooh this is interesting.....are these real stories....they sound real....nice final reveal.....burn that one Heyes.....

wanted enjoyed that ...but you got to let me know how much of that is real stories....well done ...good take on the hundred challenge. applause
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm

April 2016 100 challenge comments, continued:

InsideOutlaw - That's got to be one of the best HH plans I've ever read!  Are you sure the "Outlaw" part of your name is just for show?  There are several REALLY good lines in your challenge, but this one takes the prize:  A delighted, maniacal smile assured the Kid his partner was acting normally, and he waited for an answer.

Calico -  ...98,99,100!  Looks like you got 'em all, Calico!  Aren't you the foxy feline.  Way to go!

MoulinP - Ah, the hundredth robbery!  Loved seeing each one of the gang members playing their blue or red part.  Clapping!

Penski - This has some wonderful lines.  What I liked best was, as the fellas discuss each of the historical characters who are mostly either dead or in prison, the mood of the challenge becomes somber, without becoming overly sentimental.  Well written, Penski!

100 Anniversary challenge comments, continued:

cjp242 - Your challenge, told completely from one point of view, caught my interest from the start.  The fading in and out of the Kid's singing was a nice touch.  I enjoyed this piece very much.  Looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Kid4ever - Oh, I remember this one!  Very well told.  Interestingly, this challenge has many similarities to cjp242's.  HH, alone, wrestling with his thoughts and emotions as he waits, hoping "against all odds" that Curry is safe.  Which ending did I enjoy most?  Sheesh, that's hard to say.  At first I liked the first one.  And later I liked the second one.  I guess what I liked best of all is that there ARE two endings.  Well done, K4E!

IonaGraham - Wow!  You really wrote a heart-stopper with this one, Iona.  GREAT job.  Both you and your writing have been missed.  Thank you for sharing this one with us again!

Allegra -  I have yet to see a Harry Potter movie, or even read a Harry Potter book, but when I finally do I am certain I will be looking at that Dumbledore character very, very carefully!  Enjoyable read, Allegra.  So nice to hear from you again too!

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:36 pm

I will try to comment on everything this month, but it may take a while.

Starting with the 100 Challenges specials

100 challenge stories.  Wow!  This thread is a real treat The stories are so different, but such fun to read.  

Calico - I didn't realize that you are such a softy, picking this poignant childhood piece.  This is a beautiful story.  Well crafted and full of tragic might-have-beens.  (Though if I am honest, I really like how HH and KC turned out, so I guess I'm glad they didn't find a home.)  Your not-funny stories are some of my absolute favorites, and this one is no exception.  I loved this line: “Even if they NEVER become fond of us – at least we will have kept two other mother’s sons fed, warm and safe until this country gets back to normal!”

Maz - Your choice surprised me too.  You have written so many roll-on-the-floor-laughing pieces, but chose this haunting story to post in this thread.  I remember when this was first posted.  It is a great story.  The dialog is top notch.  (You are always great at dialog, but this one is particularly good.)  Love the line:“Is that an attempt to make me smile or just a really dumb question?” I also really enjoyed this exchange:
Kid looked up. “The daughter of the mayor?”
Heyes smiled. “I had high hopes for ya.”
“I appreciated that.”

How sad to think they are still running, but then I guess that's the way we like them.  

Rosie Annie - This is a lovely story.  I think that the letter format works wonderfully well for this tale.  I like the idea of Lom settling down.  In the pilot he seemed interested in Miss Porter to me.  I like how she is able to do what she wishes because her parents are out of the country.  When they come back, the marriage is already a fait accompli, so her parents cannot interfere.

Sister Grace - I liked your choice of story.  I hadn't read this one before.  The voice of the narrator is wonderful, just the right amount of dialect.  Well done.  It is hard to make dialect work, and you did it well here.  As you may remember, I am not a Curry girl, but seeing him through the young girl's eyes makes me better understand his allure.  Love the last lines:   But dang, this one was perfection!  An’ I knew I wanted me one!

Hanna Heyes - The dialogue format in this story works very well.  Love the references to licking the wall.  Poor Kyle really did get himself in an uncomfortable fix in this story.  Wheat's bickering and complaining were well written and fun to read.    
I liked this exchange:"I done went and smacked my head on something. Look at all them things hanging down from the roof. Mother Nature ought to have to move them things. A body could knock his brains out."

"A body would need brains first…"
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 pm

100 Extra Challenge/Favorites

Ghislaine Emrys - I don't remember ever reading this story so I'm glad you posted it. It's a very believable turn of events that could've happened the years they were separated. And I bet in the years later, Wheat probably got paid back for all the chores he commanded be done.

Shenango - A very good version of the aftermath of the events of that day. I've not read many stories where they were told what had happened instead of finding it out for themselves. I don't envy the doc or sheriff having to break the news. Very somber, but very well written.

--------------

100 Challenge

Penski - What an ironic place to have to seek shelter from a storm. At least it was abandoned. Enjoyed reading all the names as the boys went through the posters. I recognized a few. I love the question at the end that leaves the reader pondering, "What if...?"

Cal

PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 2:11 am

oooh more specials this morning....well done Penski....are you on a writers round-up?!?

Ghislaine Emrys - Aw young Kid is sooo polite - what a fab look at Wheat and Kyle's first look at the Kid.  Wheat calling Kid BOY and giving him all the jobs....karma Wheat...be careful....Oh go on Heyes ...give him a hug! Kid chose to be called Kid? Or do you think its what people have been calling him so he's gone along with it....so sad that he feels Jed died in the gunfight....I am really hearing Big Jim ....only eighteen? ....That hug was overdue Heyes....I think Big Jim will understand first time he sees Kid shoot.

That's another one in the 'makes you think' category.  I like this take on their separation and reunion. Hard to imagine the boys as newbys at Devils Hole....so used to their confidence and swagger as leaders....very interesting to see Kid soo vunerable cool

Shenango - Another visit to a crucial moment in the partners life.  Like Maz and Calico's beginning to this wonderful thread I know this isn't going to be an easy read. Lovely picture you painted of just a couple of regular kids going off to fish. I think with the boys being so young, it was more probable that adults would discover the bodies at the farms ....doesn't matter really....its a tragedy either way and a tear jerker....imagine the survivors guilt those boys would carry around after this. I like the way Heyes catches on and assimilates their situation enough to impress the adults with his care for Jed. The Mom note at the end is heart breaking....

Well done...very brave of you to tackle that.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016
Page 8 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next