Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:07 am

JOANN B: Nice addition, even if you didn't make it under the wire. I enjoy seeing Kid as the poker player for a change. Nice little role reversal there! And he's smart enough to ask about straights and flushes before he sits down! Too bad he lost, though.

INSIDE OUTLAW: Wow, you're speedy! Anyway, I like first person pieces, but they're tough to do. You have to get the voice just right. And I think you've done it here. Interesting that Heyes seems to be blaming himself for he and Kid becoming outlaws. You make Heyes' motivations for that reasonable and clear. Of course, now I'm wondering, is Sally out there somewhere, remembering her first love?

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:10 am

InsideOutlaw: Aww, poor Heyes. And poor Kid. I really like
stories that deal with why the boys decided to seek amnesty and this was
great. The description of the meal in the mountains was interesting--I
didn't know skunk cabbage was edible. The reminiscing about Sally was
very nice; I liked how you presented Heyes' thoughts. As always, he's
looking out for Kid so it makes sense that that would be his
motivation--or so he thinks--for going for the amnesty. Well done!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 am

Joann B -- great start for getting back into the challenge mode -- keep it up. I guess clubs aren't the Kid's lucky suit, too bad diamonds were for his fellow player.

Inside Outlaw -- I think you do first person narratives very well. Interesting take that it was Heyes carrying the torch for his Sally, rather than the Kid. Great start to the month.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 7:15 am

Ghis: I'm glad you question the skunk cabbage. I wrote that pretty fast and relied on my memory that skunk cabbage was edible but forgot that it had to be dried first and made into flour. It is now a tasty meal of onions and mushrooms. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am

JoannB; Aww, poor Kid. The one time he takes a leap in the poker arena and he gets ousted. Obviously you understand the game and you played it well. Thanks for posting even though it is late. Actually you have incouraged me to post my story for 'No Good Deed....' I didn't post it originally because I hadn't posted the chapter yet from which it came and I didn't want to give too much away. But now that you've posted late, well I think I will too.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Remuda - Lucy seems like a real sweetheart and you made Lawrence , or Lawrie, very likeable, too. Interesting how you name no names, but it appears to be our boys scouting out the banks and yet Curry leaves to have the bank robbed and then arrested for it? Too questions... You'll just have to find the time to finish this story. Wonderful read!

JoAnn - So glad you posted, even if it is late. The Kid is doing so good and then... Methinks the player if cheating somehow. Hey, is Heyes gonna come to Kid's rescue this time? Excellent writing of a poker game. I unfortunately don't know how to play and could never write something like this.

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Inside Outlaw - Gosh that was fast and simple and wonderfully written! I love reading stories between Columbine botched job and seeing Lom - what made them decide to go for amnesty. I LOVED your descriptions of their two hearts, with Kid's being large for everyone and Heyes' being small and him not giving it anymore since the raid, except to Sally. I can see the young love and the father breaking it up. Excellent story!

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm

InsideOutlaw: I wasn't actually questioning your statement about skunk cabbage. I honestly didn't know it was edible. When I was a kid, I lived in a place where there was a lot of it around and I remember being told to leave it alone because it would smell. But thanks for the clarification and explanation!

sunny

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 pm

NM131: This was very nicely done. I especially loved this phrase: '...not needing light to convey a futile wish to go back in time and innocence.' That is exactly what the thought of fireflies evoked.
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Insideoutlaw...So Heys has been carrying a torch for Susan all these years huh? Nice take on the title. Clever!

nm...I love seeing fireflies but Ihave a feeling the torches Kid spotted spell trouble. Good snippet, I liked it

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 pm

nm131 - Welcome back... Hope this snippet is just what you need to light the torch again! I LOVE fireflies and remember the first time hubby saw them in Wisconsin while visiting. What a great memory of my own childhood. And speaking of great, this line... Curry looked up into a face known as well as his own, eyes met and held for a long moment, not needing light to convey a futile wish to go back in time and innocence. Great snippet!

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Riders - And another excellent Torch challenge! Love how they ride in, pack, leave a note, and ride out without looking back. Kid's already having doubts though he really wants amnesty. Love the letter - sounded like Heyes. Great job with the prompt!

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm

nm131: Welcome back! So great to see you here! This is a real effective story, moving very naturally from sweet childhood reminiscing to an understated understanding the danger presented by the lights. I really liked the ending, bringing everyone, characters and readers alike, back to reality. Hope there's a lot more on the way from you!

riders57: Good hook at the beginning--referring to Kid wanting to unholster his gun. Oh, a complement to your vignette on the other thread! I really like how you've fleshed the story out more here. The questioning is realistic and I enjoyed reading how the note to Wheat came about. The info about telephones in Denver was cool.

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm

NM 131: How did you manage to do wistful and tense at the same time? Nice contrast of childhood memories with the harsh reality of the present.

RIDERS 57: I thought this sounded familiar for some reason, then I realized it's the Heyes/Curry precursor to your weekly challenge entry of Wheat's story. Clever! I like looking at one event with different eyes. The reader gets different viewpoints that can add richness and depth to a story. Me likey.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:54 am

Riders: A twofer! I liked seeing this side of the story. The boys having made their decision not really wanting to confront the gang. I could see Heyes being pretty pragmatic about what to take, but emotional enough to want to memorize it. I got a kick out of Kid wondering whether it was the 'Dead or Alive' that changed everything. It sure would be for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:55 am

NM131 -- so glad you came back in -- hope to see more from you, especially if they are as good as this one was. The juxtaposition of the innocence of childhood against their desperate adulthood was wonderful. I too still love watching fireflies and remembering my childhood (and my childrens') spent catching them. Unlike you I have tons of them around (it seems the disappearance of our bats -- which I miss -- has been good for the firefly population around us).

I/O -- I'm glad you clarified the skunk cabbage. Like Ghis, I too grew up around lots of the stuff and recognize its olafactory similarity to its namesake -- so I was surprised to hear it was edible. In fact, I was surprised someone could get past the stench to even try eating it.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 am

Riders and Ghis: There's a ton of skunk cabbage here, too. It was used by the indians as a curative and, like I said, made into flour by them and the early settlers. It is supposed to be a pain reliever, fever reducer, and you can use it as a salve for wounds. I've even been told it is a mild tranquilizer. If you eat it raw, it burns your mouth (not that I tried-I couldn't get past the smell either) which is what I had forgotten. No matter, tons of edible mushrooms. I just like to use edible plants as I am sure that's what the boys would do. After all, who can eat trout and jerky non-stop?
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Good one Riders study

The torch is passed.
I like the note they left too

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:22 pm

gonefishing Inside Outlaw - I always like stories that expand upon the decision to go for amnesty. This was a nice edition to that subject as well as giving us a somewhat melancholy look into Heyes' past. Good take of the "carrying a torch" theme.

writing Riders57 The torch is passes into Wheat's grasping hands. I like the fact that they wanted to get in and get out of Devil's Hole undetected by anyone. Thought the note very in character for the boys. I also liked that Kid was sure at the beginning but becoming not so sure, his musings on the significance of the wanted posters, and the need for Heyes and Curry to bolster each other's resolve at the end. Riding away without a backwards glance took courage.
Back to top Go down
joannb

joannb

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Inside Outlaw

I liked your perspective on how going for amnesty had separated them from nearly everyone they'd ever known. They went from being part of a gang, to being two alone and in a way exiled. I thought the heart contrast was very interesting too. We got to hear a little about their lives before Devil's Hole too, and a romance for Heyes. No wonder he never let himself fall again--just too painful. Nice contrast of hearts explored.

NM131

Such a lot of impact packed into a small space. Nice melancholy look back on the innocence of childhood, and one many readers can probably relate to in some way. Then, the hard cold reality of the situation intrudes. What a great contrast--the fireflies of childhood memories and the torches of a pursuing posse. Very nicely done.

Riders

Terrific look at the beginning of the amnesty quest. They would have had to go back and pack up a few things, wouldn't they? As in I/O's entry, it shows the loss and change they face as they leave what they know behind to strike out on their own. They are leaving one world for the hope of another. The gang is facing change too, and one they may or may not embrace. For Wheat, we're pretty sure he will be happy about it, but he will face a lot more responsibility too--great vision of passing the torch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Finally starting June...

Inside Outlaw
Hmm...Quite the malodorous ending...LOL (we'll leave it at that!). Have to feel sorry for Wheat and Lobo there, though they got what they deserved. But then, they are outlaws and might not always totally comprehend, or at least give full heed to, the concept of "don't touch what isn't yours..."

Wonderful description of the filly in the opening paragraphs. You obviously know your way around a horse. Had a good chuckle at the lines where Kid just shakes his head when Heyes announces he has a plan for gentling the horse -- of course he does! Also really like the juxtaposition of "old hands break young horses." Fun story!

Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 6:57 am

InsideOutlaw: Very nice continuation. Dare we hope for more, which you seemed to be implying? I like how you mix the sort of sentimental thoughts from Kid about Heyes with the practical matters at hand. This was a great line: Heyes and I were both wounded and had been for most of our lives; they just weren’t the kind of wounds you could see.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 am

Continuing June…

Riders
Had to go back to make sure I was reading the right month. This story could pass for both June and July, what with the diamonds and torch (passing the…) themes. It is an interesting and believable scenario for Big Jim’s arrest and Heyes’ taking over the DHG. Big Jim’s breaking of his own rules nicely foreshadows the downfall of one who is too self-assured and successful – cockiness, greed, and/or carelessness might follow – and you nicely illustrate it here. Well done!

Maz
Love the way you wrapped the Majestic missive from Ms. Darkly around the Diamonds theme, Royally setting hearts aflutter with lovely descriptions of certain gentlemen. Crowning the month with Jubilant cheer, we eagerly await further declarations about Ms. Darkly and her adventures – long may she Reign as a rival with whom to be reckoned. Regally done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:58 am

Inside/Outlaw; Another reflective story. I like those, it forces you to think about things the way someone else would view it--not just outselves. The events of that day certainly would be staying with our boys and both of them were wounded by them. It also shows the depth of the friendship between them and how strong that bond is. Very nicely writen.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Inside Outlaw - You're spoiling us! Loved hearing Heyes and now we have Kid. I can imagine the nightmares would be real for both boys of the raid. Loved the part of Kid talking about Heyes' heart not being small but hurt. But my favorite part has to be...

We always carried whiskey and not just for medicinal purposes. Though, I guess in a way, this was a medicinal purpose, too. Heyes and I were both wounded and had been for most of our lives; they just weren’t the kind of wounds you could see.

Great job, again!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next