Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Penski -- thanks for the kind comments. I did debate whether to use "elucidate" there and decided while it is not something he would normally use, when he is playing the role of a well-heeled investor he would use words that he would not normally be comfortable with --so I decided it was the appropriate term there -- even though I agree that it is an unusually, educated word for him. And yes I realize that he might well not know it (consider his stumbling over "incommunicado" in the Pilot); he sometimes does tend to speak more to something he would have read (in Jailbreak from Junction City -- the scene with the Sioux/sous mix-up) than that he would normally know. I used it specifically there because, in addition to the role they were playing, Heyes needed to throw off Pierson who was on the verge of recognizing them. The young boys he had met previously would certainly not have known the word.

Last edited by riders57 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Riders - I agree with RosieAnnie that you managed to fit a lot of story into the wordcount, and the use of the flashback was a really clever way of making the motivation pack more of a punch. I love a scamming Heyes and he was at his best here - they even managed protect the freedom of the press. Great story!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Riders:Clever of Heyes to prime the pump with the ten thousand dollars! Good conning by both the partners. I love a good outlaw story!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

RIDERS - What a great story! Love their plan of revenge. The flashback was done well, just enough to let us know the backstory with the character. Great job!

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 am

Riders57: Fun story of political payback. Heyes and the Kid breaking the law to do a noble deed--love it! Also really liked how you changed colors to show the flashback of the boys when they were, um, boys.

Niekx: That was hilarious--a great and very different take on the prompt! I can certainly understand them saloon gals fighting over the clientele--they must be the ancestors of the Ex-Outlaw Appreciation Society!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 am

Niekx -- LOL. What an interesting way of selecting your mark! Very cute story. I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice the last of my scented soap in that situation -- and if it should slip and fall into the water -- well who knows what would happen? Very good.

Ghislaine -- Hubris is indeed a word that all leaders should keep in mind. A thought-provoking tale indeed.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Niekx: I may never look at a run in my stockings in quite the same way again! I loved the girl's voting process and got a good laugh out of it, too.

Ghislaine: I could really hear this and could just picture Kid taking Heyes down a few pegs with some amusing, gentle teasing and then nailing it with 'hubris. Not even Heyes's ego could ignore that! Loved Kid saying Heyes was the leader of a gang of outlaws not a general leading an army and his observation that the men had to have the buy-in. Well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Such good stories and I can't think of a thing!

Sister Grace - Yes, I have never understood the voting process either, so many thanks for the explain. Kid would definitely get my vote, but I get the feeling that we would have to contend with a lot of Heyes fans. Let's not put them against each other, it's a shame to split up a set.

Riders - This is a very clever story, and I too like the use of the flashback to show us how badly they were treated when they were younger. It made the revenge all the more powerful. Heyes and Kid were so good at conning - they would have made fantastic politicians.

Niekx - I envy your ability to come up with such another good story after the first. I put so much energy into my first I'm dried up for now. This made me laugh SO much. No wonder they were all poking holes in their stockings. I loved the last line about the soap! If she needs any help to find it in the water I will gladly help. bath

Ghislaine - I had to look up 'hubris' - what a great word, and a great story. Heyes was getting above himself, wasn't he? This story showed how much Kid helped him become such a great leader and he made such a good point. Any good leader needs buy-in from their team, and it's not a good idea to forget that. A very good version of 'democratic process'.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

NIEKX - What a funny story! I laughed all the way through. Loved their way of deciding who gets what choice. I sure would've wanted to be first ;) Wonderful story.

GHISLAINE - This was a powerful story. Really showed how Kid helped Heyes become the greatest outlaw leader in the west. That last word 'hubris' really put it into perspective. Well done.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Sister Grace - So - this got me wondering if the colleges are like our constituencies? Probably not, because each Member of Parliament represents that area and the Prime Minister is the leader of the winning political party. We don't vote for the Prime Minister, only our local MP. Oooh! Too complicated! So which of the boys would get voted in? I know who I'd vote for!

Riders - I agree with other posters who say that this was a very effective use of the flashback as it really made us support the boys in their nefarious doings. A conning Heyes is my favourite and this was a clever combination of a flim flam and a robbery - talk about getting you money's worth!

Niekx - Sooo funny! I'm pushing my nails through my stockings right now in the hope it can get me a night with the boys. A story which makes me laugh and leaves me with an image of a nekkid, wet Kid just has to be right up there for me. bath

Ghislaine - A clever story, which is very subtle in showing just how powerful their partnership is. Nobody else could make Heyes listen to him when he gets on his high horse, and Kid keeps all that cleverness beautifully grounded. A very smart way to use the prompt, to show that even criminal enterprise has a democratic element - the Devil's Hole Gang are lead by consent.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:03 pm

riders57 - Your transition from present to past and back is very smooth and reads clearly.

Oh! Barton and Slattery! I'm happy to see them making an appearance.

Love the name of the town's only steakhouse!

Hannibal Heyes is indeed the silver-tongued one. This line of "stretched truth" is perfect:

“I’m certain if Mr. Barton or I had ever met you before Mr. Pierson, we’d remember you,” Heyes answered smoothly.

The "baiting of the hook" plays well, and the plan itself is a truly worthy "Hannibal Heyes" plan!

The note at the end was priceless. The final scene, echoing the story's beginning, is very well done!

Niekx - Hold on! I need to go poke a few more holes in my pantyhose...back!

Lots of fun, Niekx! Very enjoyable read!
thumbsup

Ghislaine - Hubris, eh? Gonna have to look me that one up. (Okay, so I already did.) I think you have the members of the DHG, as well as its leaders, down just right. Kid Curry can speak volumes with a silent look, while Hannibal Heyes can spout off a thousand words in trying NOT to say he might have been...(wrong!) Loved this! Well written. cool

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Niekx - :eek: So very funny and such an original and witty take on the prompt. I adored the thought of the girls divvying up the available customers and trying to score points to get at our boys. I loved this! I'm off to get myself some yellow feathers in the hope the boys notice me.

Ghislaine - Another very different take on the prompt, and I agree that the dynamics of the relationship are powerfully, yet subtly, drawn in this story. You really show how much Heyes needs Kid to keep his feet on the ground, and also cleverly weave in how he managed the gang. There was really a tight partnership leading TDHG - and this shows that together they are so much stronger than they are apart.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 am

Niekx - What a cute take on democratic process! Love the idea of the saloon gals deciding, democratically, who would get to seduce which customer. Really loved the visual of dropping the soap and having to help find it. bath Fun story!

Ghislaine - Really enjoyed how the Kid knew what to do and say to his cousin to get through to him. I'm not one for the boys using big words, but I can see the Kid learning a word like 'hubris' and making a mental note to remember it, knowing he might have a chance to use it. Lots of great lines, but I think my favorite one is - He (Heyes) knew he could wear the gang down if he talked long enough but he preferred they realize the merits of his plan before sundown.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Hannaheyes: Very enjoyable! The various members of the DHG were all in character. It was fun to finally find out what they had voted on and stealing the Thanksgiving meal from the townsfolk seemed an appropriate payoff for this story. The info about the Geisels was really interesting--I recognized the name right away but didn't know the actual history until I read your author's note. Great way to include history in a fanfic story!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 pm

I admit I took some creative liberty with history. The Giesels did live in Massachusetts, but I don't know if they moved there from the west Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi all, sorry I missed the chat yesterday…fell a sleep…Embarassed

Thanks for the nice comments on my story. I am glad I could plant some pleasurable thoughts here and there. But credit for the soap suggestion goes to Silverkelpie – lots of big yellow feathers for you!!!
thankyou

Riders – Great story! It shows the up and downside of the democratic process. It appears the Mr Pierson did leave some impression with the young lads, that they go back there for some revenge….and come out ahead as well!

Ghislaine – What a strong, thought provoking story! It made me think of our coaching calendar at the office which gives us something new everyday to think on during the workday. I didn’t know the word “Hubris” but chewed on it for quit some time.

Hannaheyes – This was a fun story! I agree with Ghislaine that you caught their personalities very well. But I do feel a little sorry for the towns people though. Not a really Robin Hood thing to do. But then again, I don’t suppose they had a big enough oven for a proper DHG size turkey!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 pm

HannaHeyes: I love the Grinch Who Stole Christmas and now we have the Outlaw Who Stole Thanksgiving! Fun story and interesting factoid about Dr. Suess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

HannaHeyes -- You do come up with some imaginative stories! Cute explanation for the genesis of How The Grinch Stole Christmas -- very seasonal too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 pm

HannaHeyes - Yes, a very seasonal story and a great take on the prompt. I was beginning to think that they were voting on some really risky job, but this was a lovely twist, with the Devil's Hole Gang showing they're really no Robin Hoods, but a larcenous bunch. Stealing thanksgiving dinner, indeed! All the better for being based on a real incident, and who cares about the geography?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm

HannaHeyes - Oh! Could you imagine doing all that work and preparation and then finding the whole meal was stolen!? Mad I bet the women just wanted to string them up. Great story, and a wonderful historical note. I must confess to not knowing much about the writer as he's not huge over here, although I was, of course, familiar with the story which sprang from it.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Gotta get all caught up with the latest entries before running away for the Thanksgiving holiday. . .

Niekx: I like seeing a different point of view, and you certainly provided that in this story. Lots of snappy dialog, and naming the saloon "The Ballot Box" and including the vote was a clever use of the monthly prompt.

Ghislaine: I really like the way you show how clever Kid is. Heyes might use "high-falutin'" language that goes over the head of most of the gang, including Kid, but Kid sees through the language to the motivation behind it. He's smart enough to confront Heyes in private, and brings home his point in an oblique but effective way. Heyes actually listens, even if he doesn't get it.

Hanna Heyes: Probably nobody likes nonsense better than I do, and I like this. Adding Mr. Geisel was an interesting way to bring in the grinch. I have to say, I'd feel pretty p.o.'d if someone took our holiday dinner! Only a grinch would commit such a dastardly act.

HunkeyDorey: Again, a different point of view. In a strange way, our boys brought the remnants of this family closer together by exposing the past. Isabelle gained a new appreciation for her father, and learned that her father appreciated and loved her. A nice story for the holiday season, too.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 am

HunkeyDorey -- what a well-written story. You really managed to convey so many emotions as the story came out -- the fear and anger at the beginning, then the sadness as the reasons for the father's actions unfolded, to the realization of his love for his daughter -- all through the prism of the passage of time and remembrance of the events. Excellent.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

HunkeyDorey: This was really a pretty dark story that evoked a lot of emotions in me. I felt for Isabelle learning the truth of her existence in such a harsh way. Heyes and Kid seemed like hardened men in their harsh pursuit of justice and, yet, they realized at the end they were mistaken in their assumptions. I like these glimpses of their dark sides because they never could've been who they were without moral ambiguity. The father was beautifully characterized. With all his flaws, he loved Isabelle as best he could. Loved this. applause
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 pm

HunkeyDorey

I too found this to be a very compelling story, very complex and full of emotion for the length of the tale. As In/Out stated, it's interesting to see the darker side to Heyes and Curry which occasionally showed up in the series but not very often. So to have it reestablished once in a while is a good reminder to us that they were not always amiable and fancy-free--they could both be dangerous when they chose to be.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 pm

hannaheyes - Fun look at the DHG at Thanksgiving. sm Really enjoyed these lines:

"...Even Kyle agrees with me, don't you Kyle."

"Well, to be honest..."

"See! Kyle agrees with me!"

Nice historical connection to Dr. Seuss!

Hunkeydorey - Very interesting twist on a tale that could have come out of "Exit from Wickenburg." Your descriptions of Heyes' and Curry's characteristics are very artistically written. Your use of first person in telling the story from Isabelle's point of view adds a nice flavor. I am particularly fond of stories that give HH and KC a dangerous edge, which you did very well.applause

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next