Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Still catching up with June...

Hanna Heyes
Wow, a sustained story with all dialogue, among four characters, with a subplot thrown in to boot – I’m impressed! Lots of great lines, especially, “Bears need fiber, too” – very cute. Thanks as well for the notes at the end; interesting information. I had not seen the story before, so I am glad you posted it here, and it works just fine with the prompt. Fun story!

Riders 2
Nice depiction of the boredom that could settle in at Devil’s Hole between jobs or when the boys needed to stay put, and great idea to have a baseball tournament. I was a little surprised Heyes and Kid were so familiar with the game, but guess they could have played it as youngsters, since by the 1880s, league play was well underway. Love the use of the prompt here – baseball diamond fits so well – as well as the line about explaining the concept of stealing bases! Great job!

Fortitudine
Oh, I really liked this. It has a quiet quality to it, these two strangers sharing in their own way. Alternately funny and wistful, and downright profound in parts when Kid reminisces about family and survival, the revelation comes out of nowhere and catches the reader by surprise. Then, the emotions and resolution are so credible. And I think this has a lot more dialogue in it than usual for you, and it works to great advantage. Many great lines and description, of which this one stood out: “Occasionally a gust of wind would come through the walls of the shack like a terrier after a mouse and they unconsciously drew closer together.” That says it all. Lovely!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 5:57 am

Rem -- I wondered the same thing when I thought of the story. So I did some research -- as early as the 1820s there were news stories about games of "Town Ball" which involved 4 bases, a bat, and a ball. By 1850 there were pieces in boys' magazines and books of games about something called either "Goal Ball" or "Base Ball" that had the diamond, 4 bases, bat, and ball. So I figured the timing was such and it was sufficiently widespread throughout the U.S. and its territories that they would have played in the school yard or wherever when they were little. What didn't become common until the 1890s were gloves for catching.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Insideoutlaw 1 - Great take on the prompt, carrying a torch - First love is the kind of hurt that stays with you. A sad, bittersweet tale which showed the bond of friendship between them. I bet if they were to make the series again there would be more backstory, mind you we wouldn't have the gaps to fill in with great stories like this.

InsideOutlaw 2 - I could really see men like this being haunted by nightmare-and some great lines, especially, 'Heyes and I were both wounded and had been for most of our lives; they just weren’t the kind of wounds you could see.'

Riders - I love your take on the story - the different perspectives dovetail into one another and build up a really rounded picture. Poor Wheat, be careful what you wish for, because Heyes is a hard act to follow. No wonder they disappeared so quickly from The Hole.

NM131 - Long time no read! Glad to see you back. What a lovely, reflective piece with memories of fireflies in a jar juxtaposed against the harshness of their adult lives. I hope this signals a return to having writing time for you - your great stories have been missed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Continuing June…

Keays
What a lovely way to describe a young woman’s excitement and other emotions on her wedding day! She obviously misses her friend, so tries to tell him everything in one rush. Cute how she got ahead of herself several times. My eyes went wide as she started to describe her apprehensions for the wedding night, thinking it a little inappropriate, but she realizes it in the next paragraph; funny how she just had to tell someone, and far easier to do so on paper than in person. Nicely done!

Sky
Really like Heyes’ first-person narrative here. Felt bad for him in a way, as he seemed to regret contracting with the interviewer’s publisher for a story, but not enough to consider returning the money when given the chance. As well, given his reticence, I wondered if he fabricated the truth at all, but then decided probably not. I especially liked his memories of Emily Ann and his hope of a future for her, and how he and Kid probably would not be welcome in a respectable home – sad thought, but likely true. Many good lines, my favorite being, “You're worryin' that old rumor like a dog with a bone.” Ultimately, I am amazed that Heyes managed to hold on to the necklace for so long, but even desperate men find a way. Well done!

Rosie Annie
Looking back at Heyes’ old letters, I felt as Horace did at first, that it was almost breaking a confidence. But curiosity gets the best of us and we want to know more. This is well written. As well, so are Heyes’ letters. We did not get to see a man really in love, so it is nice to see him in a different, but very credible, vein. (Silly to think his partner got all the action!) His missives flow with love and are poetic in part, as those of his “darling girl” must have been as well, given the lovely “memories of ‘diamonds and rust.’” Thanks for showing us the “other side” of Heyes.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 am

More June...

Ghislaine
This song will never be the same. Ever since you posted it, I have heard it in my head – not the original, but your newly revised version! Money in the safe with diamonds, indeed! You have the rhythm down, so it fits perfectly. Quite an original take on the prompt. Fun!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 am

I/O -- I like your second story too. It's always interesting to see different perspectives on the psyche's of our boys. Your interaction between the two flowed very naturally and was very in keeping with their personalities. Hope your bunnies keep hopping along.
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 4:07 pm

ooh Hanna a big cave. I think somone mentioned the Mammoth Caves before..probably you sm

I even looked them up on Google. BIG caves.

So..you gonna leave the boys in there?? Suspect

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Finishing up June…

Penski
This is an interesting and plausible back story to the boys’ start into a life of crime. Some wonderful moments here: Had to smile at Jed’s reluctance to forego his gunbelt even at so tender an age, and Heyes’ seemingly effortless first job reminded me a bit of one Jack Dawkins, the Artful Dodger. (Although I think someone mentioned it already, there are definite overtones of “Oliver Twist” here; I can definitely see Silky as a somewhat reluctant Fagin, and Jenny as a motherly Nancy – fun!) Like how you’re continuing the story and look forward to reading more. Well done!

Joann
This was entertaining, a role reversal for the boys. But, poor Kid – he could not catch a break and busted fairly quickly. I can just hear Heyes’ version of “told ya so…” Nice touch to have Kid ask about straights and flushes up front – gives him some table cred with the other players – but who could have predicted he would wind up with the lowest value suit? Oh well…Don’t think you stated same, but I presume the winner of the hand had cards after the ace to beat Kid’s subsidiary cards? Better late than never; I’m glad you posted this. Fun story!

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Hanna Heyes - Interesting about the cave in Kentucky... a big mammouth one at that! Good thing the guys are cautious and observant so they have a chance to get out.

Sister Grace - Oh, I thought the Kid was gonna be a goner being identified by an old love (or is it a young love scratch ). Loved the name June-bug and the stormy night in the hayloft and the fact that she slammed the door on his face. So there's a little Jed out there, huh? Probably not the only one, if I had to guess. So thrilled you decided to post this one - great little story!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Starting July…

Inside Outlaw
Lovely, but bittersweet, reminiscing by Heyes about his first love. The first-person narrative really works here, and gives great insight to a side of Heyes we rarely see or hear about. The heartache he relates has a very real quality to it, and I like how he is so ultimately pragmatic about it on the one hand, and wistful on the other. Just as the boys understand they will never know what might have happened had that fateful day early in their lives not occurred, so too can’t Heyes know where an uninterrupted sojourn along life’s path with Sally might have gone, and he chooses not to go there. Love the line, “I never back down from a risk and [Kid] tells me I’m fearless, but the truth is I’m terrified of giving my heart away to anyone ever again.” Nicely done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 am

HannaHeyes -- I enjoyed the full story when I read it on the other site and you are correct that this piece fits this month's theme. Your descriptions of Mammoth Caves are wonderful and make it clear how familiar you are with them.

SisterGrace -- So glad you submitted a story this month. This is very sad, and very emotional. You pull us in and wring our hearts for both the Kid and Emma -- what an awful situation. Still she was better off than many unwed mothers of that era -- her grandfather stood by her and didn't cast her out, and she apparently was not forced to turn to prostitution to support herself and her son as so many women would have been. Beautifully written.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 am

Hanna: I enjoyed this story over on the other site and, like Riders said, it sure demonstrated your knowledge of Mammoth Cave. This snippet was perfect for the challenge!

Sistergrace: The characterizations were so well done here. I loved the strength of Emma and her generosity in not turning in Kid. Especially liked the last scene where she shuts the door and explains: "I don't know this man," she told her son, carrying him into the house. "Never did." Great story.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 pm

It's been so long since I've read challenges or commented on them that I fear I'll never be able to catch up so, I'm going to begin with July.

InsideOutlaw - We don't often get a glimpse into the inner workings of the mind of Hannibal Heyes. Your story touches on some of his deepest emotions. I can completely buy into the idea of Heyes' choice never to make himself vulnerable again, and also into the idea that Heyes wouldn't want to make that same choice for his partner. With your help, Heyes articulates his emotions very thoroughly. Good read.

nm131 - Yes, it's been FAR too long, nm! Nice to hear from you again. This piece took me back to summertime Northern Michigan. (Uh-oh, I feel a Kid Rock song coming on!) This line wrapped everything up perfectly into one simple, and as you stated, futile wish: Curry looked up into a face known as well as his own, eyes met and held for a long moment, not needing light to convey a futile wish to go back in time and innocence. Glad you're back to writing!

riders57 - Such deep truths revealed with two muttered sentences, one by Heyes and the other by Curry. Well-written and enjoyable. I have never really contemplated HH and KC's return to the Hole to say their goodbyes before. Glad you did it for us.

InsideOutlaw 2 - Gosh, don't you just love it when the boys whisper in your ear? Glad Kid kept talkin' and glad you kept writin'! This was my favorite line: Sure, I’d like to have a family someday, but most of all, I wanted to keep the family I have safe right now.

hannaheyes - Enjoyed this tour of Mammoth Caves with Heyes and the Kid. I felt a little bit like Becky Thatcher, grabbing onto Tom Sawyer's hand and beginning this adventure. I giggled at Heyes' description of "Fat Man's Misery" and Curry's bumping his head on "Tall Man's Misery." I always enjoy a little bit of history in my fanfic, so I was glad you included the nod to the tuberculosis clinic that had once been in the caves. Now I'm left to wonder, will I need to take another tour of Mammoth Caves in order to find out if Heyes and Curry left behind any Historic Graffiti of their own?

Riders57 2 - Very somber tale for both guys. A real relationship just would have been too difficult for either of them to sustain. I'm left very curious about the baptism ritual you have described and I'm wondering if this comes from some specific denominational tradition. I've never heard of one like it before, but using it here gave the story a lighter feel, in contrast with with Kid's darker emotional state. Nice balance.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Riders: I'm glad you chose to expand on the word challenge. That opening paragraph was very moving and sad. You captured the regret and anger of Kid's decision very well. I liked that, for once, Heyes knew to be quietly supportive. Good story.
Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 2:44 pm

InsideOutlaw - A nice reflective story. I liked how you had Heyes try to settle the Kid by talking about dreams, , Sigmund Freud and how dreams relate to the rest of their lives. It was a nice touch to end the piece on a optimistic note.

HannaheyesThis reminded me of my college years when I was a RA for a professor who was studying little brown bats in PA. We certainly spent enough time crawling around caves. Nothing like the majestic Monmouth Caves though, You made me want to visit them! The governor sure underestimated the determination and resourcefulness of our favorite outlaws.

Sister Grace - since I've been gone a long time and decided like you to start with July I'm glad I haven't missed many of your stellar writings. OMG this was so sad especially the end

"Emma didn't speak. She just held her son and then she stood, eyes riveted on mine, and suddenly I understood.

"I don't know this man," she told her son, carrying him into the house. "Never did."

The door shut tight, behind them.

I wanted to weep for Kid because this is going to cut deep even though he intellectually knows they why of the situation. Really hope to be reading more from you soon.

Riders57 Interesting how you described the baptism - a joyous celebration of rebirth with torches contrasted with Curry's painful parting amid a flickering candle and Heyes' quiet support. Nice creations of different moods.

Last edited by nm131 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Sister Grace: Aww. Very bittersweet. Really liked the kind of Rashomon-like structure of the story, and the plot in general. Poor Kid. This could easily be continued, ya know! It'd be great to know what Kid did after seeing the kid, and how Heyes reacted as well.

Riders57: Another "Poor Kid" story. I liked how Heyes was there to support him and that he knew when not to talk. Were the baptisms being conducted in Latin--was that the strange language they heard? And why do it in the middle of the night--was there some special significance to that? I don't know enough about Christianity to know what that was all about. (At first, I thought it might be Druids...)

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:49 pm

NM131
What a lovely reminiscence of youth! Perhaps we can all relate to the summer ritual of catching lightning bugs, just as the boys did. And those were truly simpler, innocent times, especially if you’re on the run from a posse, on foot no less. The boys are well drawn – Heyes trying to concentrate on the here and now, and Kid ever alert. Unfortunately in their case, memories of childhood coalesce into the reality of the present – the thought-of fireflies presenting as torches of an approaching posse. Love this line, “Curry looked up into a face known as well as his own, eyes met and held for a long moment, not needing light to convey a futile wish to go back in time and innocence.” Wonderful read, and welcome back – you were missed!
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Aww two sad Kid loses the girl stories. reading

Sistergrace...well written and edited and I wondered..would she reallly turn him in for the reward...

Riders...I thought it was Heyes at first. I may need to have a talk with Kid about all these women he keeps abandoning!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Riders
Ah, a missing scene between episodes – don’t think I’ve read anything like this before. Wonderfully told and paced, it makes sense that the boys would want to vamoose before the rest of the gang got back, both to avoid awkward explanations in person and probable curiosity and negative comments in return. Sad on one hand for them to have to leave the home they had known for a long time, while exciting and also scary they were starting a whole new life on the straight and narrow. Thought it so apropos for Heyes to leave a note, and almost ironic for them to formalize and finalize it by each signing it – so very legalistic. Also love the final admonition to Wheat to leave Lom be; I would not put it beyond him to want to strike again in the same place. Love that you got a bit of history in there as well; thanks for the notes. Finally, the last line really conveys the direction they were going – forward. Well done!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Maz -- Dang, about half way through I about choked to death laughing. You should warn a person. Love the references to nephratitis and the tease with ED -- she is coming back soon isn't she (and not torturing the Kid too much). I'm not sure torches are any safer than orphans and kittens though.

Last edited by riders57 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm really getting behind on my reading!....

INSIDE OUTLAW - I enjoy stories written from HH's point of view, especially if its a side of him rarely seen. I felt bad for Heyes when Sally's pa come between them. I agree Heyes is afraid of letting anyone close to him. A broken heart doesn't ever really heal.

NM131 - Kid made me rememberback to when I chased lightning bugs as a child. Really liked the 'futile wish to go back in time and innocence' line. Its so true.

RIDERS - Really liked that HH and KC left a goodbye note when they went back to the Hole to get some things. Wheat was probably pretty happy to read it ;)

INSIDE OUTLAW #2 - I can imagine the nightmares the boys would have. The line, 'Heyes and i were both wounded;....just weren't the kind you could see' is so true, not only to the story, but to Rl also. I agree with Kid that Heyes is kind-hearted, he just likes to hide it.

SISTERGRACE - I was worried Emma might actually turn Kid in. And I wonder if she ever told her son the truth. Sad, but well-written.

RIDERS #2 - Like the scene of the baptisms taking place. Seemed real peaceful. Nice:)

MAZ - Poor Kid! 'Someone' has him scared to death! At first, I thought ED was back in town.

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Oops! I think I missed one while I was on vacation! Sorry!

JOANNEB - Loved the role reversal here in your June story. Not often you get to see Kid being the one in the card game and Heyes watching. I loved it!

AND if I've missed anyone else, I do apologize! (But I believe I've got everybody now Rolling Eyes )

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Maz - Laughing You had me laughing right outta the gate! Loved the reference to Darkley and Nephratitis (that was your first story, wasn't it?). Poor Kid thinking he could actually escape from your pen. Besides, don't you have him jail in your house (though I'm certain he'd be grinnin' and not lookin' so downcast). Great challenge!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Inside Outlaw 2
Cool, a continuation of your first story this month. I could see the boys having these kinds of nightmares and delaying sleep for a while so as not to go “there” again too soon. Found your description of Heyes as “real sensitive” very interesting, as I see him more hard than vulnerable, albeit hiding something, in a way. For me, Kid is the more sensitive one. But, then, it is always fascinating to read each writer’s take on the same characters – what is true for one is so different to another. Loved the line, “Heyes and I were both wounded and had been for most of our lives; they just weren’t the kind of wounds you could see.” Nicely done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am

We're only half way through this month and it's shaping up with some cracking reads! reading Thanks everyone.

Hannaheys - I enjoyed this excerpt from your longer story. It fits so well with the prompt and I'd encourage anyone who hasn't read it to get over to the other site to read the full version.

Sister Grace - This was a wonderful story. You caught all the conflicted emotions of the characters and got us wondering what was coming... but no; she didn't turn him in. What a superb ending, succinct but all the more bittersweet for that.

Riders - Another sad and bittersweet tale, with the unspoken reticence between the partners definitely saying more than their words. Loved it

Maz - Hilarious! I absolutely loved it, but I have to say that Kid's been getting out of hand this month and may need some discipline. First he rides off and abandons his child and then he's climbing out of the window? Surely with all the women he's romancing this month he wouldn't have the energy to get his leg over... the sill... the window sill!! What did you think I was going to say on a PG site?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 9 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next