Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Misc comments

Go down 
+3
BeeJay
Penski
Ghislaine Emrys
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I think I have enough advance notice!  Very Happy   Thanks, Penski, for putting this all together.
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

Maz suggested an Anita Sanchez story called The Tracker.  It wasn't easy, but I found it on the internet, after emailing Anita Sanchez.  She has an awesome website of her ASJ stories at http://simplifyasj.webs.com/ with some great tips of writing a fanfiction.  I found this part fascinating under Point of View...
Since they’re such strong personalities, they would react differently in the same situations. Sometimes, just for practice, I try a story both ways. The Cell and Bank Job are actually the exact same story, in fact several paragraphs use identical words.  In one story Heyes is injured and Kid is trying to rescue him, and it's all Kid's point of view, in the other it’s Kid who’s hurt and Heyes is the rescuer as well as the main character.  

After email Anita Sanchez, I found that she had removed The Tracker to work on it more.  She wrote:
I had pulled The Tracker from the website since it's one of my favorites and I wanted to work on improving it. The character of the Tracker is based on a real Native American I was once lucky enough to meet, (although we didn't do any tracking!--but his name really was Marvin and he was amazing--the part where he rides through the desert singing is based on a real memory--we weren't tracking a fugitive, though, he was just leading a group of tourists on a scenic ride.) Anyway, the story is dear to my heart, and I'm thrilled that you remember it.

Anyway, Anita reposted the story for us and it's ready for tomorrow's chat.  It's the 3rd story down.

See you Saturday at noon (eastern time) for story chat and early for chitchat!

BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Penski,

Thank you! Above and beyond the call of duty!!

That's some interesting information from Anita.

walkdog 

Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 11:34 am

We had an interesting chat today with 5 of us.  Check it out AND Anita Sanchez's wonderful story site!

I have a copy of the chat regarding the story - you can pm me for a copy of it.

Last edited by Penski on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 2:51 pm

I am so glad she reposted it. When I went to her site and couldn't find it I thought that was it.

It was one of my favourites and even though I read it..seven years ago??? I still remember it.

Fortitudine

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 1:24 pm

"Penski"]Here's the chat schedule for 2013/2014. "

Hi, Pen. You'd better take me off rotation, because I will not be able to make the new chat time.

Thanks.

There is no problem so big or complicated that it cannot be solved by the use of high explosives ~ Old Marine Corps saying
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlegreybungalow.blogspot.com
Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 2:48 pm

I didn't hear from Yope so I chose Night of the Wolf, by Kellie Ingle.  You can find it here - http://www.derbysulzers.com/nightofthewolf.htm

Calico

Calico

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 am

Ooooooh I have a chat!!!
Beam.

Put me down for:
Away in a Manger (nice and seasonal)

Which can be found here.

http://calicoasjstories.wordpress.com/childhood-stories-1/4-second-chances/6-away-in-a-manger-dec-1858/

And... ?? 8 o clock British Time ?? or am I way out.
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 7:13 pm

All I know is that 4pm Eastern Time is 1pm in the West. The time converter says that is 9pm, but it's pretty much like it always has been. People can come and chat earlier: 3pm Eastern, with story discussion(remember we are a serious literary site writing ) about an hour in.

BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I kept these chats at every week, because if I make them every other week it will be at least a year, and even over, before everyone gets a chance to have a story discussed.

So, story chat every Sunday.

BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 8:08 pm

No official story chat tomorrow. Feel free to use the chat room if you wish.

Our next story chat will be Sunday, December 8th. We will be talking about Calico's Away in a Manger . two thumbs 

Don't forget to bring the comfy cushions, because spin

Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Storm would love to change with someone from January 5 to sometime in February or March.  Would anyone be willing to change with her? Let me know.

thankyou

Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 pm

We've gone "around the room" and folks had a chance to pick a story for chat.  Next Sunday is the last of the story discussions with Eleanor Ward's Force of Will.

So any suggestions of what you want to do on Sunday chat starting in August?  Do you want to continue going around the room and talking about stories?  How about watching and "talking" about an episode?  (Not sure if logistally this is possible, but it would be fun)  Do you enjoy the topic chats?  

Any suggestion, I'm all ears!

InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 am

How about a weekly guest host who would moderate the discussion? Rather than come up with a set topic, let the conversation take its own course as it so often does, but the moderator would make sure that the topic stayed appropriate (not that I'm suggesting that we ever get inappropriate :).

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 6:16 pm

I like the idea of discussing an episode; I think that would be tons of fun. I assume you mean we could all take turns and select an episode to discuss.(Maybe, it would work best if we watched it prior to chat; I think it may be difficult for some people to be in chat and have an episode run at the same time-I would be watching the episode on my computer which would make it difficult to chat!)

I think your idea, InsideOutlaw, while interesting is problematic: I don't know that members would be comfortable moderating chat, which is really what a host would be required to do; scheduling members to do that would be difficult. We have had chats without set topics in the past, but usually the chats tend to be very slow when no topic is set. In most chats, when we are done talking story it becomes pretty loose, and people can pretty much have a free-for -all. Also, anyone can use the chat room at any unscheduled time for just that.

The idea of the Sunday chat was to discuss something related to writing as this is a writing site; I think discussing episodes would fall into that range as it always helps to revisit the episodes when considering a story/plot/characters etc.

And thank you, Penski for organizing the chat schedule!

Calico

Calico

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 am

Perhaps we could tie in the writing by picking an episode and always having a few generic questions in mind:

?? Does the episode set any - PREQUEL, MISSING SCENE, FOLLOW UP - bunnies a bouncing

?? Any of the characters ripe for a VS come back

?? Anything in the episode that is so visual it'd be a real stretch VS wise ...

?? Any favo(u)rite lines crying out to be used again and again in fanfic?

[I like the episode idea.

I really like: The Legacy of Charlie O Rourke
Brimstone
How to Rob a Bank...
Stage Coach Seven

Well I like lots.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Oh, I like the idea of having questions like Calico's to look for when watching the episodes.  Also watching for things that have become canon and that might disprove canon (Heyes DOES eat).

It's amazing how much dialog watching the episodes brought about during the get-together.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 am

I like the idea of commenting on episodes, especially if given parameters as a guide.  BUT...  I also think that some people, well me anyway, might not have time to spend an hour watching an episode ahead of time and then spending another hour (or whatever) discussing it in Chat.

So how about a combination--a compromise:  We could have the rotation of people as usual and each person could select either an episode to discuss OR a topic related to ASJ in some way, like when food and the cousins questions were discussed, or even a character like Harry.  And if a topic is chosen, there could also be general questions designed to guide the discussion, such as:
  * How accurate was the portrayal in the show vs reality?
  * How did the (topic being discussed) further the plots/atmosphere of the show?
  * How have you tied this (ie the topic under discussion) into your fanfic writing?
  * What more do you want to know about (topic under discussion)?
  * What are some good resources for further reading about (topic under discussion)?

What do you all think?

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 2:20 am

?? Anything in the episode that is so visual it'd be a real stretch VS wise ... ??

Hello hello hello,
I've been asked to expand on the above comment ...

Hmm. What did I mean. Paw thoughtfully scratches at a flea.

Well, there are some little visual gags that are so swift they are lovely to catch on screen but by the time you've written them out long hand would lose the flavour.

Eg:
In the pilot, where Harker is dragging the half awake HH into the saloon, the music box is jollying away with its jaunty, but rather annoying tune.
Heyes is momentarily fascinated, adopts an intrigued expression, reaches out a curious hand,
Harker reacts with momentary annoyance and reclaims HH's attention to matter in hand
Seconds later Harker realises he is competing with the music, turns and boots machine to silence
HH's face reacts again.

On the screen it is almost backgroung preciousness, written out - like I just did - it sits with leaden ponderousness upon the page.

Things like the multiple drop achieving and repeated gunfire sessions - as per Stagecoach Seven - can sit like heavy metal on the written page too, without careful scene cutting / angle editing, because they take longer to READ than they take on screen.

Anyhow. That's the kind of thing I meant as harder to do in VS.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Misc comments Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misc comments   Misc comments Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misc comments
Page 1 of 1