Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 am

Ghislaine - What a sad tale! I had no idea of who you were talking about at first (as I bet you hoped) and was confused by the need to have to look at the window where you can't look out. After reading the second part, everything clicked into place and I remembered the small room (more of a large closet) where the girls would parade in their underthings and the men would chose their companion. Didn't realize the men got to eat afterwards. Thanks for the research and the interesting story!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 am

Ghislaine: As Penski said, a sad tale to start the month. I liked the way the beginning paragraph of the second part of your story echoed the opening paragraph of the first -- nice technique there. A very realistic portrayal of what it would be like for the soild doves of the west.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 am

Ghislaine: This was so very sad and so very well done. Mirroring the two views of the same experience made the story all the more poignant. I found myself thinking a long time about the juxtaposition of the relative freedom of the men and the pitiful, desperate lives of the women. Excellent story! applause
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 pm

A sad but true tale reminding us of the real stories behind our fiction.
Well done Ghislaine

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Ghis; Everybody else kind of beat me to the punch, but I agree with what has been said. A very sad but powerful story. And of course, at the beginning I didn't know who you were talking about or what the circumstances were but the second point of view made it all clear. Very in depth story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 7:50 am

Ghislaine - Great story, so well written, and what a sad, little tale it was. You so poignantly captured the sad life of the 'mean-looking' woman in the background who's life had come to this dead-end. (It was her, wasn't it?) I loved the historical detail behind this. What a high bar to set for the first story of the month. applause
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am

The first two stories of the month are about soiled doves, but from divergent viewpoints. It's nice to see two such well-thought-out stories about women who may have started out in similar circumstances, but ended up very differently.

Ghislaine
: I read through your entry very quickly the first time, and I almost missed what was going on. On the second read, the full impact hit me. You got me interested in the woman's story, how she ended up there, and why she felt the way she did. Seeing the contrast from the customer's viewpoint in the second half added another dimension to her story. Her story is sad, and doesn't show much promise of future happiness.

Riders: Your story disproves the old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." Curry's good deed was rewarded. I think Mrs. Jones was a very smart woman; she recognized an old customer, whose surprised recognition might have hurt her, and turned it around quickly. I wondered for a minute why she cried so much afterwards, and I decided it was tears of relief. Her secrets weren't exposed. I also wondered if Kid was the child's father, but her story sounded very convincing.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Riders57: This story had angst, romance, suspense--all mixed together really well to make a very enjoyable story. I really liked how Heyes and Kid kept looking at each other out of the corner of their eyes, as if they weren't sure what to say or do next. And how nice that Kid did a noble deed, especially since it didn't come back to haunt him but rather helped him instead. I wouldn't have remembered that your Weekly Word Challenge was on the same theme had RosieAnnie not mentioned it in her comments there (thank you!) and I agree, these two stories complement each other perfectly. Did you have that in mind when you wrote the Word Challenge? Favorite line, by Kid: "...I’m gettin’ married,” he added dryly.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:53 pm

A really nice story Riders.

I kept changing my mind as to why this woman was helping the boys.

Thanks for an entertaining read.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Ghis, to answer your question, actually the word challenge came first. I had the final line "I can be discreet" almost immediately and your double challenge discrete/discreet seemed to lend itself to my word challenge response. Once I wrote that, that caused the bunny that led to this monthly challenge entry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Maz! Laughing LOL A literal heart and the Kid educating Heyes. Great scene.
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Maz: I love it when people incorporate their own experiences and background into their writing--so now I'm wondering if you really did ever bring in a heart to dissect with your students. Shocked Clever and fun story--great to see Kid one-upping Heyes with his "knowledge"! Cute reference to last month with Calico and LOL re a weird British tradition. Very Happy Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 7:32 am

Maz: A unique take on "hearts" - now we really know what makes them tick! Kid and Heyes ought to be thanking you, too, for not scaring them too much with what you can do. Now I'm wondering if you've really done that sort of thing. It sure sounds like you have, but then, your writing has also made me believe that you've robbed banks, punched steers, built cabins, and such like.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 am

Glad it didn't put you off your food.

Yes I have dissected many hearts and it's great fun, especially on Valentine's Day.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Riders: I like how you left a little mystery with Alice collapsing and sobbing after the Kid and Heyes left. Was she heartbroken that he didn't remember her? Was she telling the truth? It seemed as though Heyes had an idea but was sidestepping the question. Either way, it was good.

Maz: I still remember pithing my frog in biology. Thanks (Not) for reminding me. Seriously, this was a clever use of the prompt and I have no doubts you've been knuckle deep in a heart or two.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Riders - And another person "marries off" the Kid - becoming quite the habit. He must more like the marrying type than Heyes. Sweet how the Kid gave her extra money for her child and that helped save him and Heyes now. Not sure why Alice was sobbing when they left, though. Loved the ending!

Maz - That was an... interesting tale! I couldn't dissect in Biology. I let my sister and her friends do it while I drew pictures and labelled things. Favorite lines are the last two:
Heyes leaned towards his partner. “You know it’s not too late to get the heck outta here!”
From the kitchen a voice called,”Oh yes it is!”

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Riders - A great story, with mystery surrounding the woman does make me think she didn't tell them the full story. Do we get to know? Loved it and really want to know more of the back story - as I guess so many others do. (Hint, hint Very Happy )

Maz - Laughing still laughing! So clever, so funny - but such a literal take on the prompt does make me glad that the prompt wasn't 'kitties,' or the board would be awash with tears.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Penski: The Kid understood exactly what his partner was feeling and was able to help soothe his heartache. I loved the concept of each death being splinters in the heart. I found this to be melancholy and sweet at the same time.
Back to top Go down
skykomish

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello Ladies of the Ex-Outlaw appreciatin' variety. Last month I ended up so far behind that I never did get comments posted for all of the stories. This month I have promised myself to keep up as they are posted so that I don't get overwhelmed. So here is a start on this month's stories. reading

Ghislaine - Touching story. (No pun intended.) At first I was confused as to who was speaking, but it didn't take long before I became suspicious and then clued in to the plot. I especially liked the part near the end when they see the first narrator standing behind the glass after choosing their partners for the evening. A sad and revealing story.

Riders - Ah, another soiled dove story. Redemption stories are a favorite of mine. This one is charming. I was never sure what was going to happen next. It kept me guessing and was a real pleasure to read. sm

Maz - Dissection! Shocked You wrote about dissection! I have to agree with Heyes, it's a bit weird. But this was fun and hilarious. I enjoyed it immensely and laughed out loud all the way through. It was so much fun that I read it to my husband. Bravo and thanks for the laughs. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Penski: Aww. Another winner here, Penski! Love the angst and comfort displayed by both men towards each other. Interesting that you made it not Heyes' first time. Lots of good lines but I have to say that one didn't ring true for me: We was robbing a train. I think Heyes talks like that only when he's trying to be a hick. My favorite line was: "I aimed for his hand – you know how I always do that.” Also, I really liked your title.

Yope1995: This was a well-crafted story and excellent use of the prompt. I really liked how you wrote the interaction between Heyes and Kid in the cave in the first part of the story. The appearance of the stranger was certainly coincidental but that he was an angel who could perform a miracle was actually quite believable. I also enjoyed the ending where the boys were trying to figure out just what had really happened.

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Yope1995 - Your writing is really improving with each story / challenge. Very angsty beginning with the Kid hurt and dying. Caused a few tears to leak there. I knew right away who Gabe was and became hopefully. Love the end with the boys trying to figure out what really happened the evening before. Wonderful challenge.

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

OVERSPILL AREA -

Ghislaine - Very interesting how you took a E. A. Poe story and changed it up a little to become Heyes' POV. The safe luring him like a lover to take from it. And at the end, his conscious wins. Favorite lines - I think it was its tumblers! Yes, it was this! They had the feel of first love –soft and supple, seducing me. Whenever my eye fell upon them, my blood ran hot; and so by degrees --very gradually --I made up my mind to take the contents of the old safe, and thus rid myself of the temptation forever.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 am

Loved your story Yope! I held my breath there for a moment or two with the Kid dying,but I loved the end! thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 am

I also really liked your story Penski,I could see it very well in mind. You don't really think much about them having to deal with killing people,but I like the way you explained their feelings.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:36 am

Ghislaine - This story is packed with so much emotion and so many details that I found myself reading it several times to make sure I caught everything. So many heart references, the window of course, but the hearts of each of the characters, so damaged. Very sad. Below, I've divided my comments between the two viewpoints. Overall, I'm left with a bleak,empty feeling inside, knowing that no one in that house, not the men or the women, is going to find the "heart's desire" they seem to be looking for.

First viewpoint scene - I find myself wanting to know even more about this woman. She refers to herself as a famous resident, yet I wonder if she was truly famous, or only famous in her own mind. I really liked this line in her self-description - That, at least, was the truth, even if nothing else about me was. I also find myself feeling very sorry, not only for her, but for the two, more vibrant women who were chosen. How long will it be before they, too, find themselves scowling out from behind that heart-shaped window, passed over for anyone younger, prettier?

Second viewpoint scene - I tried to read this envisioning Heyes as the speaker, then with the Kid. It didn't seem to matter. Both young men think they're riding high, but don't yet realize the depths to which they are about to fall, just like the sad and mean-looking gal in the corner, who later ended up old and worn out.

I'm clapping! Very well done!

riders57 - Your story grabbed my attention from the start. Love the name of the town. What I liked best was your veiled reference to the "hearts" that were involved, without coming right out and saying it. Alice's broken heart, which turns into a "heart of gold" when she goes out of her way to save HH and KC, the Kid's big "heart of gold," and Alice's commitment to use Curry's "gold" to turn her life around in the interest of her son's heart.

One of my favorite lines was: It helps that in my old line of work you learn to lie convincingly. Interestingly, Alice says this right AFTER she has told the Kid he's not Johnny's father. Which leaves me to wonder...

Very enjoyable story, riders! Two thumbs up!

Maz - Written like the true scientist you are, Miz Maz! Now, if Gracie had the Kid stashed in her basement, she could think of lots better things to be doin' than some silly ol' science lab experiment! Twisted Evil I love your style, Maz, and this short story is no exception!

Penski - Splintered hearts - What a great title! Such a sad and angsty story. My favorite part about your story is that even though both their hearts will bear permanent scars, each partner has the other to help him move on. I had several favorite lines, but this one jumped out at me:

“Bilson’s still haunting you?”

“They all do, Heyes..."

Yope1995 - Your use of imagery was beautifully done, from the raging storm to the Kid's raging fever, from the campfire casting its eerie shadows on the wall of the cave, to the boys discussion the shadow of a strange midnight visitor. It is ironic that Curry, even after knowing he'd been shot and seeing he's now healed, responds very true to character with, “Yeah...yeah, Heyes.” Very well written! Is there really "Someone" out there looking out for us? Good question to ponder.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next