Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 am

RosieAnnie - This was a joy to read, and I just didn't see Harry's upcoming appearance coming! You truly captured his character, by trying to appear competent by fluttering around on the edges of people who can truly do things well. Capability by association. What's so bad about Galveston? Loads of great lines, but I loved, "Harry, you know me and Thaddeus well enough to know by now, we can be bought." Trust Heyes to have a plan to look after Harry in spite of himself. applause

InsideOutlaw - Clearly you and RosieAnnie have been at the font of witty dialogue, because here's another one just brimming with great lines like:

“Morris, does he always talk this much?” asked Nate.

“Only when he’s not inhaling,” answered the Kid.

Not only great lines, but great plotting. I would love to have seen Paulson's face when he opened the safe! Terrific.

Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 am

To answer a few questions about Galveston - my only objection to the place is the weather. Hot, humid weather makes me 100% miserable. I really don't like intense heat; adding humidity makes my sinuses swell up and, in general, gives me the get-up-and-go of a wet dishrag. No No No But if it's bad for me in 2013, think about the misery of people in the 1880's. The Victorians had strict standards of dress. Harry would suffer terribly in his business suit.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Yope1995 - Loved that the boys were hunting skunks! Very good first entry. Well written and funny. Congrats! congrats

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Yope 1995: A clever idea, and an entertaining story! I enjoyed the whole thing, but my favorite part may be when Heyes is alone in the line shack, calling to the skunk and getting nailed. Even the horse didn't want to be around that smell. Well done!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Yope1995: Congrats on posting your first story! Catching skunks for a bounty is a fun idea and I enjoyed the humor throughout the story. I was a little confused at the end, though: why did the boys get $200--did they actually get a bonus for completing the job?

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Yope1995 -- Congratulations! Fun story. Really loved the skunk hunt. Laughing Reminds of when my daughter and her two tent mates at camp had a close encounter with a skunk looking for the Twix bar stashed in my daughter's backpack. I had to send her a new backpack, but we parents (us and her best friend/tent mate's parents) certainly enjoyed ourselves.

Anyway, poor Heyes, it is so difficult to get rid of the smell too... I just assumed the man who wanted the skunks was so unnerved by the Kid's "gunfighter" glare after he tried to short change them that he got the number wrong. It wasn't likely that the Kid was going to correct him. Anyway I laughed through the story -- good job.
Back to top Go down
Yope1995

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Hey thanks for bringing that to me attention, Ghis! I added a sentence to fix it. *palms forehead* I can't believe I missed that! Laughing
And thank you all for your nice comments!

Riders, you had the right idea. Very Happy

Last edited by Yope1995 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed misspelling)
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Yope1995: Thanks for clarifying! I really like this line by Heyes that you added: “You gotta stop staring down people."

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Yope1995: This was a very clever use of the prompt. Their job wasn't too hard on the back, but it was an pretty awful one. I enjoyed them misunderstanding and bringing the skunks in alive much to their own misfortune. Nice that they got paid, with a bonus to boot. Loved the "you've got to stop staring down people" line.
Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

gonefishing I've been a bit lazy so I'm playin' catch-up with this month's entries. Bear with me, I promise I WILL get to yours real soon thumbsup

Sistergrace: Your first line created such imagery, with Heyes comparing his life to the tumbling safe.
I really enjoyed how the last line led into the next segment; very nice progression.
Your use of "mutiny" terms in relationship to the outlaws was very clever as well and my fav ended up being the final lines of the story.
Great job! congrats

Hannaheyes: Kid vs, Kid, huh? What an interesting perspective of what could have transpired should the two of them have met up face to face.
Again, my fav lines again, were the last ones:

Heyes: "Yeah, I guess so. Was I ever that cocky?"

The Kid laughed. "Heyes, you're still that cocky!"

applause Very enjoyable!

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Silverkelpie: Loved all the twists and turns in this.
Flim flam people who had no idea who they were dealing with, did they?
Loved the way Heyes used finesse so they could bet paid.
It held my attention from the very beginning! Awesome job! sm

Maz: Aw, what a nice, heartwarming story!!!
Who would be able to resist/say "No" to BOTH Jed's blue eyes and the dog's brown ones??? Not me!
Had me worried there for a bit, but it looks like Bounty is on his way to his new home and family - yay!
Left me with warm fuzzies on this cold, wet nite in CA...tyvm congrats

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Gringa: I loved the many twists and turns your story took me on. Lots of surprises, too, right up to the very end.
The two "Smiths" was a very nice touch.
Loved the bantering about their names while they were waiting.
And, it was very fun to find out what all the connections were at the end.
Great job! thumbsup

Allegra: Great account of them trying to convince the other whose turn it is to untie...always love to hear what they come up with to do the convincing.
For me, I enjoyed the clever way they retrieved their weapons the best.
And, I love Heyes' way of thinking: They ARE worth it! sm

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm

GHISLAINE: Very Happy You should know by now that the length doesn't matter here... Very Happy
You packed so much into such a short space...
Loved Heyes' way of explaining to Kid about the spelling.
Re: your question about "nevertheless"...I think it depends on who Heyes is speaking to. If it is the Kid, no; he'd be less formal. But if it were someone he was trying to impress with his intellect, yes.
And I agree with Heyes, I like the way Kid is thinking sm

PENSKI: I think this may be one of the first times the boys have stolen the liquor...nice creative thinking!
Boy, they sure made Blair mad enough, didn't they? Great explanation as to why their bounty got to be $10,000.
And, in the midst of Heyes' bragging, Kid is the one to bring up another new thing that has been added to their posters, a four letter word that takes all the fun out of it for him.
Great job! applause

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm

desert Slowly but surely I am reading my way through all these wonderful stories!

Next up, we have:

RIDERS57: "Stingy, stingy, stingy man!!!" I agree with the barkeep, he MUST be related with the name like Bligh!
Weighing the potato peelings??? wow...sheesh
I'm afraid I agree with them, they can't afford to hang around.
Loved the ending, the note was a very nice touch, indeed.
I really enjoyed finding out about the origin of the saloon's name as well as your clever name for the barkeep, himself.

congrats

CORNELIA MAY: I'm so glad you jumped right in and got your feet wet with a challenge story!
Very interesting use of the prompt, but I have to think that you may have more in store for Emma Peirce, as far as letting the rest of us in on some more of her background (hint, hint) scratch
You've got our attention, now write more!!! sm

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

INSIDEOUTLAW: Loved all the wonderful bantering going on between the guys.
Ooh, fun new names for the pair? Heyes has such a flair with them!
I absolutely loved Kid's description of how Heyes got injured...still have a big grin just thinking of it, lol
Very clever ending...wonder if Paulson would go for it? scratch

ROSIEANNIE: Ah, good ol' Harry Briscoe, how we love that Bannerman man. Nice to see him in a challenge.
I really liked the name Harry chose for his agency: "The Briscoe Agency for Professional Detection and Bounty Hunting!" sm
I was glad to see that someone took it upon themselves to do the "Bounty Paper Towels" slogan, and was creative enough to make it work. It was the first thing my mind thought of, but I didn't have the faintest clue how to go about incorporating it into an asj story.
Very fun reading; you nailed his character perfectly! thumbsup

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Wow...can't believe I am almost caught up (unless another writer jumps in here with a challenge story real fast, that is) sm

YOPE1995: Glad to see that another of our newest gang members has a contribution to share with us...yay!
Ok, so I do not think Heyes and Kid have ever signed up to trap LIVE skunks for a bounty in any other story. May be a first???
$40 is waaaaay to low for risking their lives capturin' those critters!!! Shocked
Loved the confusion about the "live" skunks, I was wondering, too!
The bantering tone between the two was great. Many great lines, too.
It WAS Heyes' idea, but I'm sorry he had to be the one to pay the price Very Happy
AND they got PAID...with a Bonus, too...will wonders never cease??? But who could say no to Kid (certainly not Moi') Twisted Evil
One last point...inquiring minds want/need to know, what DID Kirkwood want with the skunks????? (Just teasing, it isn't a plot point, just MY mind wandering around looking for anwers sm )

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:11 am

Lol! Come to think of it, I probably should have stuck that in there somewhere. Kirkwood as being plagued by skunks and he couldn't find anyone to rid the line shacks of them. So which "innocent" drifters happen by? Poor ol' Heyes an' Curry.
And, yes, I thought it was kinda low too Very Happy Poor fellas! xD

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
Cornelia May

Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Very Happy Thanks for all the feed back and suggestions, I took them to heart and decided to fill in the gaps and fix my grammatical mistakes. Please feel free to reread my story. writing

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Trying to catch up before the month's out...

Hanna
Interesting take on the prompt – a bounty on someone else besides the boys. I think this is the first time I’ve read a story where the boys meet up with Billy the Kid. Fun to see a showdown between Kid and another of equal renown. Of course, Kid’s not known as the Fastest Gun in the West for nothing! Favorite line is, “Kid gave Bonney a steely-eyed stare that would've made the devil run for cover.” Very enjoyable!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Silverkelpie
Wow, you really bumped close to the limit with this one with just one word to spare, and wonderfully chosen ones all, as usual. Obviously, corporate intrigue finds itself in all ages, and this is it at its best, and yes, most salacious, in more ways than one – who polishes the apples, indeed! LOL Seriously, this is another winner, SK. I’m glad Heyes was able to figure out the scheme before the boys got too caught up in the game, and how clever they were to be paid three times the original, agreed-to price. Too many great lines to quote, although one of my favorites is, for me, a new take on an old theme, but which I’d never heard before, “Do I look like I came down in the last shower of rain?” (No, Heyes, you don’t.) Standing ovation, and much applause!

Last edited by Remuda on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Maz
Aww, this is so cute! Have to admit I was waiting for Heyes to say something, but he’s obviously not the only one possessed of soulful brown eyes. Ol’ Bounty sure has a good instinct of who to pick for a new master, and it seems he chose well. Kid always had a good heart. Many great lines, and particularly love the following exchange:

“I said, if.”

Jed climbed up onto the seat beside him. “I know. I figured that meant, yes.”

“Son, you’d best not say that to a lady.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind.”

Love the “Ranch Days” series, Maz, and this is a wonderful addition to it. Well done!

Last edited by Remuda on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Gringa
Ah, another mystery nicely worked out, but still keeping us guessing – was Jenkins the bounty hunter there for the male or distaff ex-outlaw? I can think of reasons why it could be either, for alternate denouements, and both satisfy wonderfully. Love the nice play on the common names references from the series at the heart of this story. Writing-wise, there’s some lovely description here, my favorite sequence of which is, “His dark eyes caught a movement, a tiny, insignificant glint on the brass of the handle. It was oval, so only the playing of the light over the scratches and dents betrayed the displacement of the gleam from the oil lamp, but it was moving – slowly, almost imperceptively – it was turning.” Wow, and English isn't your first language! Clapping!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 am

Remuda - Thank you for your kind comments, but poor Silverkelpie helps me by working from both English and Spanish versions of my stories and I have to tell all those congratulating me on the twist that it was her suggestion to have the landlady wanted too. I have a great Beta!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 am

Kid4Ever:

Thanks for the comment. I wasn't sure I understood the last line and then I realized you had read it as though Heyes was going to trade what he stole for the bounty on his head. It could definitely be construed that way and that would be an excellent way to expand this, but I really meant that Heyes stole Paulson's bounty and left his (his wanted poster) so the man would know exactly who robbed him. I thought I better clarify that in case someone else read it that way, too.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 am

Ooh, Gringa - Much as I love to take credit for your wonderful story, this was all your own work, and your English is excellent. We all bounce ideas off one another, that's what's so good about this group, but you must take the credit for your story, and certainly for that wonderful exchange! Who else could come up with, "what does a 'Jones' do?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 33 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next