Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Return to Devil's Hole

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Return to Devil's Hole Empty
PostSubject: Return to Devil's Hole   Return to Devil's Hole Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 pm

It's been a while since posting in this forum!

To review, a quick list of the plot types:
--Overcoming the Monster
--Rags to Riches
--The Quest
--Voyage and Return
--Comedy
--Tragedy
--Rebirth

Descriptions of each type can be found in the discussion about the Pilot.

This episode, like many others I think, doesn't really have one dominant plot type but rather has scenes which conform to several of the types listed above:

Perhaps the idea of Overcoming the Monster could be stretched to the point of seeing it as Heyes has to struggle to convince Big Jim to give up his plan that he spent seven years devising. Also, Clara tries to prevail over the outlaws to accomplish her goal.

Rags to Riches could, conceivably, be viewed as Heyes being known as an outlaw but no longer having the status of being the leader of the DHG and no longer enjoying the success that came with his involvement with the outlaw gang and now being a nobody, in terms of material wealth but actually being somebody with a great deal of wisdom since he knows the path Big Jim is on will only lead to disappointment, if not something even worse.

I think it's pretty obvious that Clara is on a Quest--to find a man who done her--or her daughter--wrong. Or so she says. She certainly encounters problems along the way to achieving her goal.

The return of Heyes to Devil's Hole certainly fits with the Voyage and Return plot type. He's going back to the scen of a previous life and, while at Devil's Hole, realizes even more why he (and the Kid) left that life. And the end scene shows us his departure again.

Using the definition of Comedy as given in the other post, again, I believe this applies to Big Jim: He finds himself in a state of confusion over a) his feelings for Clara and b) his feelings of loyalty to the men he summoned to the Hole to implement his grand robbery, only to find himself ultimately swayed by Heyes--though not without some angst on his (big Jim's) part--to give up his plan.

I think Rebirth is manifested in Big Jim. Clara's love and Heyes' reasoning both influence him and he becomes a new man. And Heyes, I think, is newly determined, after seeing what conditions are like at Devil's Hole, to pursue the amnesty with his partner.

I don't see any examples of Tragedy, according to the definitions provided, in this episode.

Do you agree? Disagree? Have different ideas/thoughts? I'd love to hear comments!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Return to Devil's Hole   Return to Devil's Hole Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am

I agree with you that Big Jim experiences a rebirth as far as his outlaw career goes. But maybe Clara does, too. She experiences a rebirth of love. Heyes' determination to pursue amnesty is tested by his return; his determination experiences a rebirth when he sees what life at Devil's Hole really is like.

Rags to Riches - maybe what the DHG was hoping for! They didn't get what they wanted, though. Sad You could make a case for Big Jim in this category, too. Instead of being stuck up in the mountains with a lot of unwashed crooks, bereft emotionally, he's found love with a beautiful, wealthy woman who seems to return his affection. He's going from a cabin in Wyoming to a comfortable lifestyle in San Francisco. It can also be reflected in Heyes' desire to change his life; the rags of the outlaw lifestyle, to the riches of completely shedding his outlaw past and embracing the hope of amnesty and a new life.

Voyage and Return - Both Heyes and Clara travel to Devil's Hole and return.

Comedy - that stupid song in the episode. It's a joke.

Tragedy - the episode flirts with tragedy in Clara's stories about the loss of her daughter and the her husband who ran off to Devil's Hole. Either story would be a tragedy. The real tragedy may be the script for this episode.

Overcoming the Monster - this could be several things. Big Jim has to overcome the pull of his old lifestyle. Clara has to overcome the feelings of betrayal and anger that take her to Devil's Hole. In contrast, members of the DHG do NOT overcome the monster. They're still driven by greed, to the point that they are willing to kidnap Clara and use her to extort Big Jim.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Return to Devil's Hole   Return to Devil's Hole Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

First off, thank you for contributing to this thread, RosieAnnie!

I agree with almost eveything you say. I do feel that the Rags to Riches theme in this episode takes a metaphoric form rather than a literal one, in that the riches the characters obtain are not actually in monetary form. I really like your thoughts on Overcoming the Monster, especially when you say the other gang members do not manage to overcome the monster--that's a nice contrast you pointed out.

As for Comedy, your comment was funny in itself! I like your interpretation of Tragedy, although I do think the script has a lot of good things in it. But not anything that has to do with Clara--I not at all fond of her and my estimation of Big Jim is lowered when he, inexplicably to me, falls so quickly and completely for her. On the other hand, maybe Clara can be seen as Big Jim's Quest: After he and Heyes talk, he clearly ponders Heyes' reasoning for giving up the outlaw life and maybe he subconsciously starts searching for something else to challenge him and the obvious solution to his problem is Clara--how can he unlock her??? So, he goes on a quest to find out.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return to Devil's Hole   Return to Devil's Hole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return to Devil's Hole
Page 1 of 1