Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Least Favorite Episode

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Least Favorite Episode Empty
PostSubject: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:23 am

To go with the Favorite Episode thread...

What is your LEAST favorite episode and why?

If you're one of those who only watch Pete episode, choose between those. No saying "It's a Roger episode" for a reason why.
Rolling Eyes

WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Least Fav   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:43 am

Mine would have to be The Girl in Boxcar #3.
No its not because it is primarily a Kid episode.
I simply don't care for the plot too much.
Don't care for Heyes getting attacked by the town bullies.
Don't care for Kid being made to look like a bully with the old couple. They were going for angry, tough, Kid Curry but he came off as a bully and it gives you a bad taste in your mouth.
And, the girl gets on my nerves.
So yeah, it would be Girl in Boxcar #3

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Most of the later episodes with Roger - can't name a specific one.
Firstly, it has nothing to do with Roger; some of his episodes are actually in my top 5 favorite list.

It has to do with the change of tone. I remember when I watched ASJ without understanding most of what was being said, that I lost interest because the fun disappeared. I'm not sure whether I even realized Heyes and Curry were going for amnesty when I first watched it. But I do remember them getting into trouble, me being curious how they got out of it, and groaning when their plans failed or cheering when they succeeded. *That* i could understand. But after at some point, the humor disappeared. Kid became more aggressive, Heyes more clueless and that's when I lost my interest. Up to this day, I don't watch episodes as "What happened at the XST?" or "The strange fate of Conrad Mayer Zulick", just because I couldn't enjoy them when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Well I've answered favorite episodes before, so...

Many have no doubt seen my opinions on my least favorite episode on other sites but it's Six Strangers at Apache Spring. There are so many problems with this one -- the views towards native American's is wrong for the time period. If you had a group of renegades take over an area where there were ranchers and/or gold you would have had an Army posting in the area (or at least the white residents would have been agitating for one) -- but none here. Aside from Carolyn all the guest characters are quite annoying. Sorry SG, but every time I try to listen to SisterGrace I just want to smack her and tell her to "get real." I don't believe our boys would be that unknowledgeable about Indians -- they roamed around Wyoming in the 1870s for goodness sake -- and in other episodes there are remarks that indicate they are not totally unfamiliar (and somewhat sympathetic to) with Indians -- In Man Who Murdered Himself, Hank speaks about his discussions with the Tribe just north of Devil's Hole -- so apparently they maintained friendly relations with that tribe. The continuity errors are massive and annoying -- the bar fight is over the top. When they are all having dinner together and Sister Grace is serving, she's seen over the shoulder of both Heyes and the Kid even though they're sitting on opposit sides of the table -- and all she does is stand there polishing that danged glass. Aargh! Somehow, even though it is Sunday the general store is open and the woman is shopping there before she sits and has her conversation with Heyes while SisterGrace is preaching -- wouldn't have happened. (Though I have to admit that conversation is about the only part of the episode I enjoy). Every once in a while I try to watch this one thinking I'll change my opinion -- usually can't make it through it.

(Have to admit the Posse that Wouldn't Quit is my second least favorite -- too sappy and the boys are out of character -- but at least I can watch this one and enjoy the good parts.)

Last edited by riders57 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

riders57 wrote:
(Have to admit the Posse that Wouldn't Quit is my second least favorite -- too sappy and the boys are out of character -- but at least I can watch this one and enjoy the good parts.)

The Kid Curry stroll... Least Favorite Episode Faint-1339
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 2:38 pm

oh yeah Radiogaga that may well be the best "part." I also love the way he demonstrates to the girls the use of finesse in a con.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I've only seen the Pete Duel episodes, so I cannot comment on the Roger Davis episodes.
In general, I can put up with a lot of things that don't really make sense, if I'm having a good time. For instance; I like the pilot episode, but every time I watch it, I go slightly crazy with the tunnel digging scenes. To dig that kind of tunnel, you've got to move tons, literally tons, of dirt. How did the devil's hole gang move all that dirt? They never left the poker table! But there is a lot of fun dialogue, Pete Duel is extremely cute, and I just suspend disbelief and enjoy the episode. In this episode, as in a few others I won't name here, you just go along for the ride.
Something to Get Hung About
What is this all about, anyway? How many different story threads are there? Kid acts like a lovesick groupie for the Monte Markham character.
The Girl in Boxcar #3
Dislike Heyes' interaction with the posse. Not crazy about what's-her-name, the girl. Characterization of Kid seems off; this is the first time we see him abandon good sense and caution for a meal, and his brutality with the old couple doesn't seem to fit with his character in the series.
Return to Devil's Hole
Clara is a strange, strange character. All the stories she makes up about her reasons to go after Hamilton make a lot more sense than the real story about stolen jewelry. Miss the Heyes/Curry interaction. The character of Big Jim is contradictory; was a hardened gang leader ever so paternalistic? And how come he can't figure out Clara was lying, and Heyes has to explain it to him? The butler in the opening scene is weird, and Clara's whole relationship to him is strange, too. She's so cold when she's getting off the stage, and then proper later on. A lot of the characterization in this episode seems off. Kid seems to be true to himself, but he's only on for a couple minutes. And that music!!! Yikes!!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Hmm, seems I've answered this somewhere else once. I don't totally dislike any episode, but the one I'm least likely to watch or fast forward through is "Return to Devil's Hole." The musical interludes are really out of place and the song...a bit sappy, perhaps, but for me definitely cringeworthy. If one were necessary, a period tune (of the late 1800s, not the 1970s) might have fit better.
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: return to devils hole   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Yes I always fast forward through the mushy, terrible music scene on this one. But otherwise the ep is really good. Well from a Heyes point of view.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:05 pm

My least favorite episode is Bad Night at Big Butte. Starting with the title, it goes downhill from there. The acting is over the top, the characterizations are too broad, the music telegraphs the action too obviously, the ending is too silly. The rat is a letdown and the bird is too unbelievable. And the drop-down diamond scene--puhlease! The plot is not actually too bad but the execution of it is. Imho, worst episode by far!

TMWMH is not among my favorites because I dislike the scene where Heyes lays down in the dirt in the cave. I mean: Really? A grown man--an (ex)outlaw being goofy like that? And I don't care for Curry's over-acting when driving the horses. Plus, Julia annoys me no end. I mean: Really? We're supposed to believe she up and went along with the Brit's deception, yet she's basically afraid of the dark? Puhlease.

RTDH is also not among my favorites but I enjoy it for the glimpse it gives of Devil's Hole. And I like the interaction between Heyes and Big Jim, as well as the Heyes and Curry moments, along with Heyes in the hotel room with Clara at the beginning. It has its redeeming features, imho.

Not that I have a strong opinion, mind you! Very Happy

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Ghislaine Emrys wrote:
TMWMH is not among my favorites because I dislike the scene where Heyes lays down in the dirt in the cave. I mean: Really? A grown man--an (ex)outlaw being goofy like that?

Hmm, grown men being goofy scratch -- aren't they all somewhat, or at least most of them? That describes a lot of the guys I know, and I find that little goofy streak is often an endearing quality. Most I know would take their turn in the dirt to see how they measure up to the (alleged) seven-footers, and they'd have a good time doing it. sm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Least Favorite Episode   Least Favorite Episode Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Least Favorite Episode
Page 1 of 1