Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Ghislaine - Very short and sweet challenge. And a very different take on the prompt, too, I might add. Can I see Heyes saying "Nevertheless"? Not really. I see him more saying "But it’s wrong. It should have an ‘i,’ not a ‘y.’” Possibly more coming? Now that's a good deal! sm

Yope1995

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Ghislaine: Leave it to Heyes to notice the wrong spelling! But to go along with Penski, I can't really hear Heyes saying 'nevertheless'. Nice though! I hope you turn this into a story; sounds like a good beginning. :-)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3759676/
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Allegra - Fantastic! Great to have you back and writing. Your descriptions of HH and KC's predicament, along with their lines and even the tone of Curry's growl, made your story not only visual, but wonderfully audible too! Very enjoyable challenge.

Ghislaine - I loved the Kid's reasoning (or more rightly, I loved YOUR reasoning)! Makes perfect sense to me, that since these folks are none too particular about little details like how to properly spell the name of their town, they might be even less inclined to carefully read the descriptions on a couple of old wanted posters.

The final words of your challenge really caught my attention - 'trip to Bountyful.' Seems I remember a fine movie by a very similar name a few years back. Those three words might make an excellent title for a longer version of this story!

(I did not even flinch when you had Heyes say the word, "nevertheless." To my ear, it sounded like something he just might say.)

Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Where can I find these stories? Arrgh, being a new person really stinks.

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 pm

Cornelia - go click on 'The Story Challenge' then scroll down under 'Topics'. You'll see a word or phrase for each month. This month is 'Bounty.' Hope this helps!

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Ghislaine - I think it's very like Heyes to point out something is not spelled right. Like Kid's thoughts on the whole thing. Looking forward to reading a longer version of this (I hope!)

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 am

Ghislaine -- interesting short story. Of course, while not spelling correctly may mean they're less careful about things, spelling it "bounty-ful" could mean that they are more interested in bounties than most towns too. Re: you're question -- I agree with Penski, I don't see Heyes saying "nevertheless." Not sure he'd know how to spell the word bountiful either, but it's certainly possible so....
Back to top Go down
Yope1995

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 am

SisterGrace: This was short, sweet and I just thought it was cute! Very clever, too, to think of the HMS 'Bounty'.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Like everyone else is saying Ghis; short and sweet! It didn't bother me hearing Heyes say; nevertheless. He likes words so he might just be trying it on for size. One of the things that always bothered me in the series was in STGHA when Kid is reading the letter and asked Heyes; "Doesn't or don't?" And Heyes answered; "Don't." That didn't set right with me because Heyes reads a lot and he would know the difference, IMO that is! Cute little diddy though and I hope you do develop it into something longer!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 am

Allegra - Well, of course they're worth it, because they can bluff so well as they prove in this one! Always sparkling dialogue with your stories, and this is no exception. Great take on the prompt and these lines speak volumes on the unusual lifestyle of the boys:

“Next time you untie us,” Heyes grouched.

“It was your turn,” Kid retorted.

Ghislaine - Short and sweet seems to be everyone's opinion of this one, and the sugar on top is the promise of a longer story. Can I see Heyes saying nevertheless? I can see him trying it out if he'd read it somewhere. Maybe he'd repeat it enough in sentences to annoy the Kid Mad - that seems in character for both of them to me.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 am

Allegra - I love the line “Whatever you’re doin’, you’re not doin’ it fast enough,” it just captures the nature of the relationship between them so well, bouncing off one another - literally in this case. I do love a devious Heyes and his bluffing certainly pays off in this one. So glad to see you back.

Ghislaine - Love the Kid's reasoning that they may not be careful about other things if they don't make sure their town name is spelled correctly. So glad to see that this is part of a larger story. Would Heyes say 'nevertheless?' I'll have to get all the DVDs out to check if he ever did. Any excuse, eh?
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Penski: From the beginning, vividly reminding us of the start of our heroes' amnesty adventures, to the twist on the train and the uneasy ending, this was a fun story! I really liked how you wrote the Kid. And, of course, how you inserted real people into the story, as is your wont. Favorite line, which is a nice reference: “You need to not be so cheap and put in a better lock.”

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Penski - So that's who upped the bounty on the boys! You wrote Heyes and Curry very much in character. Very enjoyable story sm

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Ghislaine

And so Heyes is a spelling pedant - I knew it! 'Nevertheless' I love the reasoning that if a town's not too careful about spelling and such, then it might also not be so bothered about just who pays them a visit. I always think it's great when the Kid thinks! sm Lovely dialogue and excellent snippet. cool

Would Heyes say 'nevertheless'? Maybe - At the risk of 'thinkin' again' he might have used the phrases; "All the same", or "even so" or even just a straight "No, it's wrong." I am pretty sure he has a rich vocabulary and I can't hear anything wrong with what you used. It wouldn't have occurred to me to question it if you hadn't asked. He's a smart guy after all and he reads a lot which always helps. study

Penski

Tsk, tsk - those boys winding up the railroads again and this time getting them cross enough not only to put a pretty hefty bounty on their heads but make it a 'dead of alive' reward. Shocked

Love the visit to the private car and then nicking all the booze for a knees up later. Mind you, that's probably what turned the reward into a 'dead or alive' deal. It would bring a whole new meaning to the warnings of alcohol being bad for your health now wouldn't it! sm Great story and I'm clapping applause <- see?
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Ghislaine: Cute conversation between the boys. And Kid's thinking gets Heyesian approval!

Would Heyes say "nevertheless?" Sure, why not? He has a rich vocabulary.

Penski: I can see how an "in-your-face" type of robbery would irritate these very rich men. I like that Curry defends their guard. He also seems to realize the consequences of the higher bounty on himself and Heyes, more than Heyes does.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 4:46 am

Penski -- great story! Love the tie back to the pilot at the beginning. You kept the boys very in character throughout the robbery. So like Heyes to take the good stuff for a celebration. Also the boy's reactions to the new bounties were very in keeping with their characters -- Heyes cockey about having a bounty higher than Jesse James and the Kid more cautious and focused on the new language "dead or alive." Well done.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 am

Penski: You wrote both of them so well in character that I felt like a bystander watching the action. I loved Kid telling Blair not to be so cheap and as arrogant as they were so were the railroad men. No wonder they all hated each other. Well done!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:07 am

Ghislaine: This was the kind of silly argument the boys would have just to kill time and it had me chuckling. Could I see Heyes saying "nevertheless"? If he was dressing up his speech to elevate himself, but not when he is casually talking.
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 am

Riders57: I am continually impressed with your consistently entertaining stories and how they are all so different yet always original in terms of plot. This was a great take on the prompt! Loved Pitt Cairn's name! Also enjoyed how Bligh managed to cheat the boys, though I would have hoped/thought they would be a little more suspicious and suspect that maybe he had more money on him than just what he showed them.

Last edited by Ghislaine Emrys on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 am

Riders: Very well written story and a great take on the prompt. What a cheapskate Mr. Bligh is; and I loved the name of the bar. This was a clever plot idea!
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:55 am

Ghislaine, thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for that entry! That story was from Riders57, not me. I am working on an entry for January, and when it appears, I hope you like it, too!

Riders57, I thought this was a very clever take on the entry. It just goes to show that Mutiny on the Bounty can inspire stories that can in different directions. I'm always glad to see the boys get paid, even if they got cheated, just a little bit. And, of course, they did what they could to make up for the lost wages!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 am

Riders - Very good take on the prompt and different too. Liked Heyes and Kid intimidating Bligh to get paid, even if they did get cheated. Clever writing!

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 am

Sorry Riders57 and RosieAnnie! Embarassed I remembered the story's author's name began with an "r" but by the time I finished reading it, I'd lost track of who it actually was. My feedback comment now has the correct name attached to it. I'm sure I'll enjoy your story just as much, RosieAnnie. sm Both of you write great stories!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

LOL Ghis, not to worry. We all have those moments. I seem to recall a Max/Maz mix-up on the old board.

Also, we should give Remuda credit for the bartender's name. She's the one who came up with it, when she was helping me break through a writer's block.
Back to top Go down
Yope1995

Yope1995

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Penski: I had fun reading this. My favorite line was:
"Now, let's go open that safe," Heyes rubbed his hands together in glee.
I actually found myself smiling when I read it. ;D Heyes around a safe is like settinga child loose in an un-guarded candy store.
I loved reading it; and, you know, that Blair fellow did look a bit like Walter Brennan's character.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next