Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

StormR - Aren't you quick off the mark this month, but when those bunnies hop you've got to go with them, eh? I enjoyed the twists in this story, and I didn't see where it was going when I started reading, but I love that in a story. You captured the boy's characters beautifully, and it's good to see that they weren't changed too much by 'soft living.' A great start to the month.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 4:56 pm

StormR: I loved the tone of this; it struck me as sort of carefree and wistful. How nice that they are looking back and appreciating where they are now.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm

StormR - I really enjoy stories where the boys have received their amnesty and this one's no exception. Loved Heyes' gentle teasing of Kid. Wonderfully done!

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Riders - Your story is well plotted and a lot of fun. The ever practical Heyes finding a way to get back at an unsavory character and make a few thousand ill-earned bucks out of it at the same time. Heyes and Curry were well in character through the whole tale, no matter what their ages. I loved the note and the "long forgotten conversation with two young boys." sm

Niekx - Wholes in their stockings! Shocked What a clever way to decide. I love Flora very sneakily getting what she wants. Reading this was a lot of fun.

Ghislaine - So nice to read a story from you again. This one is particularly well written. It was a true pleasure to read. I did wonder about the lines where Heyes is searching for glory and fame. From the series, I would say that Heyes was more interested in laying low. He is most definitely greedy and larcenous, but I'm not sure that he was after fame. I loved the message at the end of the story, though. I was impressed with how well your story fit with the theme. It is almost a commentary on the nature of democratic government. And I can absolutely see Curry remembering the word "hubris" and planning to use it with Heyes when necessary. All in all, a really good read. Great job! applause
Back to top Go down
skykomish

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Hanna Heyes - Well this is certainly a different kind of robbery. I enjoyed the banter with Wheat. Lot's of fun. :foodsleepy:

Hunkeydorey - I really liked this story. Well written and from a fresh and interesting perspective. I didn't guess the truth about Galbraith and his "daughter" until very close to the end of the story. I thought the whole thing was believable and in character. I loved how "Stubby" did such a commendable thing for his wife and "daughter" but he is not cute, sweet, or cuddly. He is a gruff man who did a wonderful thing. Very good story which I enjoyed immensely. reading

Remuda - I do enjoy your Saddle Talks. Gant is one of my favorite characters. I really like the brief visit back to this episode. As usual, your banter is great and the boys are completely in character. Good job! yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Very somber story this time Riders, but gripping none the less. An interesting take on how Curry got his 'Kid' handle and that even as teenagers, he wouldn't hesitate to kill in order to protect his cousin. He might have regrets afterwards, but he'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Riders
Wow, that certainly is not a holiday story! However, it is a wonderfully well-crafted and -written piece, and a worthy prequel to "The Goodnight Trail." Bart McCracken was one meany who certainly needed to be taken down a couple of pegs. Loved the background as to how Kid got his name; Henry's a great character as well, if perhaps a little too grateful for Bart's demise. The aftermath for Heyes and Kid is very believeable -- one shocked by what he had just done and the other just being there for his friend. Really like the ending; the sheriff seemed to know a little of what the future might hold for the newly monikered lad. And talking about names -- Miser Hodges is a cool one! Well done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Continuing with November…

Riders
Wow, you really did just squeak in under the limit! As usual, this is well written and tells an interesting and absorbing tale, and nothing like a real Hannibal Heyes (or, Slattery) plan to keep the reader’s interest. The boys are in fine form here, and I love that the DHG gets in a guest appearance as well. Also really like how the boys were able to help Mr. Pierson -- so much for disdaining good deeds, Heyes (or, is that Slattery?)! You’re batting 1000 with great baddies; Boss Simmons is a great addition to your rogues' gallery. Lots of great lines, of which the following exchange was my favorite:

“Where’s the best steak in town?” [Barton] asked.

“That would be Mr. Simmons’ place, the ‘No Bull Gentleman’s Club.’”

“Well Mr. Slattery No Bull it is for dinner.”

Heyes laughed. “No Bull indeed Mr. Barton.”

Indeed, indeed! Clapping roundly!

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 am

Storm - Aww... Love that the boys received their dreams of a new life, after amnesty, complete with families. And that a night out on the trail had the beauty of sleeping under the stars & moon, but the dread of sleeping on an even harder, it seemed, ground. Nice bantering. Love these lines - Yep, they had put on a few years, that was true, but he thought they both looked a lot younger than either of them should, considering what their lives were just five years earlier. Maybe it was the new baby that kept Kid looking like a kid with that wide eyed amazement in just everday life.

Riders - YAY... more on Bart McCracken! Love the what comes around-goes around aspect with him dying at the hand of a young blond in the same place he murdered an innocent young blond. What a low-down horrible man terrorizing the town. Aww... poor Jed in shock over killing a man and Heyes being there to comfort his friend. Favorite line because of its description - He breathed shallowly, every breath bringing a new twist of agony. His vision was going now, the black edges slowly closing in, leaving an ever narrowing circle of light centered on his slayer.

InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am

Riders: Great tale about Bart McCracken and how Kid Curry got his name! I liked how you began with Bart's death and then filled in the events leading up to it. Kid was so in shock over having killed a man that he hadn't even realized he'd done it. Clapping long and loudly!
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Riders57: So glad you expanded and gave us a backstory; this was great! From the very first line (one of my favorites: As Bart McCracken’s life slowly drained into the floorboards of the saloon…) to the end, this was a fast-moving, engrossing story. Also really liked how you described the reactions of both Heyes and Jed after the shooting. Another favorite line: “Well, don’t lose. I want to eat more than that,”...

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Riders - So that's how Kid got his name. Loved that as they got older, Kid took over the role of protecter more and more. This story shows he wouldn't hesitate to do anything to save Heyes, including killing. Enjoyed reading the backstory of Bart. Wonderfully written!

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Riders 57: Interesting slant on how Kid Curry got his name and his reputation. Some of my favorite parts: Heyes giving Kid money for food, in case he loses, and how Kid says "I want to eat more than that." Also, the darkening tone of Kid's conversation with Henry Stanton, and Stanton saying "get your friend out of there." And, Kid noticing that there was an empty seat at the poker table in a crowded saloon, and that it was "kinda strange to see an open seat when a bar's this crowded." Very clever of him to notice that; even if he didn't know the reason why, he knew it could mean trouble. But poor Kid and Heyes! They still had to leave town without finding work!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm

More November…

Niekx
What a cute story and super original take on the prompt! Love the election process and the saloon named the Ballot Box – nicely coincidental. A couple of those ladies obviously have good taste choosing our boys, albeit they did not have much from which to choose. But, good on Flora for seeing the diamond in the rough underneath all the dust and grime – those baby blues will do it every time. She is definitely the winner of that election. And yes, of course, she could help if the soap just happened to slip…Wink, wink! That was a hoot! Whistling and clapping!

Back to top Go down
stormr

stormr

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 am

Riders - Wow! It may not have been a "holiday" story but it was certainly compelling. Loved the first paragraph as it sucks you in to the scene. Enjoyed finding out how Kid got his nickname.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

More November…

Ghislaine
What a great story! I thought we would find out by the end what the verdict was, but it is just as well to leave it open-ended; we can imagine a conclusion either way. Had to smile as Heyes expounded on how wonderful he was, only to have Kid be the conscience in all of it, bringing that hubris back down to earth. This is well-written with lots of wonderful lines, my favorite of which were, “Sometimes you gotta reach for the moon and if you fail, well, at least you’ll land among the stars,” and “They need someone who can take the Devil’s Hole gang where no band of outlaws has ever gone before,” which reminded me of Star Trek. Well done!

Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 am

Storm: Ah, thank you for explaining that "ripple" I felt - I thought you might have been the one responsible! sm

So glad you found a bunny AND were able to be the first poster...good combination!

One of my fav parts was realizing that they were back out sleeping Sleep on the ground even after getting amnest and families...sheesh, some things never change, do they! scratch

Second fav part was where you said that they had only been out there for one day and Kid was already grumpy - poor guy!

Very enjoyable and a "warm fuzzy" kind of story, great for the holidays study

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 am

Riders,

You are right; while it is NOT a holiday story, it DOES accomplish incorporating this month's topic into an attentiion-holding adventure since we are captured right from the very start with your first few words. Once that first paragraph was read, I was hooked for sure!

Very interesting take on how the legend of Kid Curry came about and it was equally enjoyable to learn more about the background story of some of your characters.

What a nice present for SisterGrace :xmaspresents: and the rest of us get to reap the benefits as well grouphug

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Two nice stories to start us off this month one about appreciating stuff from storm and a horror story for Jed from riders.

I will try to keep up with reading them this month.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Maz
I very much like this interlude back to happier times during their Ranch Days for both Heyes and Kid. Those were presumably hard-working, but carefree, days, especially when juxtaposed against the unpredictability of life in a gang -- which life would no doubt hold an edge for the two and their cohorts, whereas the consequences could be, and obviously were, unpleasant. I presume the timing of this is before Kid joined the DHG, so they would not have been in contact for a while; it's nice to know they both thought back to a time when they were together in the rather mundane ordinariness of the everyday. As with the ebb and flow of life, it’s good to know halcyon days were ahead for the pair, as well as, unfortunately, more of the same as they found themselves thus (and it would be great to find out how they got there). In the meantime, both have time to ponder their choices and circumstances. Well done!

Last edited by Remuda on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Maz: Hmm; does this mean the series is nearing its end??? Sure hope not. Cute--but weird!*--flashback interspersed with scenes that make me want to know even more how the boys managed to go from the ranch to their present predicaments. Thanks for keeping Ranch Days going strong!

*In the sense that talking about a fake (I presume glass) eye is a weird topic of conversation.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Maz - intruiging to be sure. I have been wondering how you would move them from their happy ranch days to the less happy life that drove them to outlawry -- sounds like you have a plan. interesting snippet on the eye -- cute.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Penski
Lovely but bittersweet remembrance of Christmases past mixed with a bit of Christmas present, and what different celebrations they are. I was trying to figure the boys’ ages at this time – out of the Home but with Silky, so perhaps young teens still? Your portrayal of the boys is wonderful, and I love the gifts they exchanged – nicely shows a thoughtful Heyes and sentimental Jed. Well done!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Maz - Really enjoyed this delve into the ranch days series. Like others, I'm eager to see how they went from ranch hands to outlaws. Well done!

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Penski - Lovely sweet, though a little sad story of the boy's Christmas. Loved the memories Jed had and the gifts they gave each other. Now I'm wanting cookies ;) Wonderful writing!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 26 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next