Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016

Go down 
+21
stormr
Kid4ever
FrankieASJ
nm131
HannaHeyes
cac
Calico
sistergrace
InsideOutlaw
MoulinP
Cal
Alias Alice
Penski
Maz
RosieAnnie
WichitaRed
Ghislaine Emrys
ChristinaASJ
skykomish
ty pender
Remuda
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Cal

Cal

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: ONE HUNDRED   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 2:25 am

And another challenge....yeeeehaw!

Kid4ever - OOh outlaw days....and nervous and unsuccessful....young then...oh dear sounds like a disaster to me Heyes...hope this one goes better...NOOOOO....never say fool proof...Hundred Percent, hundred dollars, hundred robberies....like what you're doing there...I'm liking Heyes' explanation of why their doing this, very persuasive and believable...Good grief...oh dear ...I'm not even convinced they got the money...and you shot Kid....guess they had a long way to go to become the most successful outlaws in the West then..

I did enjoy that ...love a bit of action...another look at their early lives...very well imagined and Kid's reticence at thinking this is their lives from now on is very poignant. 2thumbs
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 6:15 am

EXTRA 100th Month Special... Post YOUR Favourite wow

Allegra’s Cross Over – Before ASJ, I was very much into Harry Potter and even reading some of its fanfiction. I really love this story explaining the safe cracking, fast gun, escaping posses, and the magic saddle bags. You made it all seem so plausible. The fact that the gals were swooning over our boys was adorable. Fun how it was Kyle’s memory. And the ending was precious! LOVED it!
cool

Ghislaine’s Bad Things Happen When We Separate – I LOVE reunion stories and especially this one. The meeting was sentimental without being too “mushy”. Kid is so distraught and upset that you just wanna hug him like Heyes did. You did a great job with writing Big Jim and his concern about a stranger or killer within Devil’s Hole. Jed died with that other man – how sad. Wonderful challenge! two thumbs

Shenango’s The Wrong Choice – Hey, we may be beginning and ending the 100 extra challenge with childhood stories! I really liked how you introduced us to the family, showing how the boys were so typically of any other until that day. This is one of the few stories where adults are in control of the situation and carrying for the boys, not them having to discover and bury their families. So sad watching the men trying to tell the boys about their families and the boys reaction. Sniff… the final acceptance and resignation of their lost. Thanks for posting this one again!
applause

MoulinP

MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 8:17 am

One Hundredth Special Challenge

Can't comment on all the stories - so many. Just to say they are all fab and great to have them all in one place - well done all.

The Hundred
NM131 - after a hiatus? Still got it. Really funny

Cal - Loved the line "Maybe if they nodded hard enough. They could make it true" and you call me the giggle meister ....! Oh No! What's going to happen to our boys?

Alias Alice - Kev isn't going to let his age stop him is he? Wondering where the hundred came in? But yes you're not as old as your age, only as old as you feel - or something like that!

Sistergrace - so many little plots. So Heyes' coin was lucky after all. Very funny.

InsideOutlaw - only a hundred rounds to hold off Clitterhouse? Brilliant HH plan.

Calico - Sooo clever - what can I say? Just brilliant

Penski - the boys in thoughtful mood - liked the real names - thanks for the inspiration

Kid4ever - Negative Nellie - LOL
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 11:34 am

One Hundred Challenge (one more story)   two thumbs

Kid4Ever – Dang… now you’re the wire dodger!  You got my attention with the very first word.  Reading this story, they are desperate and robbing, but on their own.  Thinking this is before they broke up.  Kid doesn’t seem too happy thinking about 100 robberies and another failed (and hurtful) robbery – this could’ve broken them up.  Love Kid saying what happened last time, for our benefit, and Heyes’ remark, “I was there!”  Young Heyes is so arrogant - 100% sure and telling folks their names.  What a disaster!  Have a little more planning to do next time, Heyes.  At least they got away and the Kid has a smile and humor as they leave.  Yay for bunnies!  Yay for you writing past a bad headache (not easy to do)!
  applause

sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 3:18 pm

April 2016 100 challenge comments continued:

Kid4ever -  Lots of "hundreds" in that challenge!  About a hundred GREAT lines of dialog too.  Loved it!

100 Anniversary challenge comments continued:

Ghislaine -  You did a great job conveying Jed Curry's transformation into "the Kid."  A very enjoyable, sentimental piece of writing.  Glad to see you back, Ghislaine!

Shenango - So sad.  But it's truly good to hear from you again, Shenango.  Thanks for sharing this mournful tale.

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm "switching gears" a bit to start reviewing the April Monthly Story Challenge "One Hundred."
My reasoning is three-fold:
1) These stories will be the ones polling, while the "Extra" Challenge can be left to catch up with later.
2) These are "NEW" stories, thus an extra added attraction to the reader study
3) There are fewer stories in this category and, thus, will be easier to peruse through.

So, to start things off..."ONE HUNDRED"

nm131: Great take on an old camping/scout song that was both fun and annoying (fun if you were the singer, annoying to the listeners if it was sung to completion!)  Laughing With fond memories from camping, scouting and six kids of my own, I believe I have experienced all forms of appreciation, lol Thanks for the trip down memory lane  Very Happy
I imagine that Kid was in hog heaven to have that many bottles to shoot at  bottle
Love how Curry saved the day (and the bottle) and that they all got to share at least one!

Cal: An interesting plot, enticing enough to generate the desire for more!
Enjoyed the characters and the way you "introduced" them to the reader so that we had a pretty good idea of what they looked like as well as some of their mannerisms.
Holy shitake mushrooms - 100 Indians??? Sheesh, even Heyes and Kid would be a bit daunted by that many!
My most favorite lines from your challenge were:
Caleb shook his head in disbelief.
‘Unbelievable. How had Heyes and Curry survived all these years?’ he thought.

Alias Alice A very entertaining tale of "Kevin the Prospector."He sure has some grandiose plans for the future, doesn't he? I enjoyed how you wove the boys into it as prospective "bodyguards." That's a job the two of them could be very proficient in  yes
And thinking of Kevin finding HH & KC a couple of gals makes me grin Very Happy

sistergrace: Just to let you know, I'm still giggling Laughing
Poor Kid, even when he's a winner he loses!
Gabby Abby had MY head whirling, I can imagine the pain Curry was in Rolling Eyes
Great way to end it with Heyes' line. His momentary lapse of faith in his coin is restored and all is right, at least from where he sits, lol yes

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 5:32 pm

wheel  Continuing with the April Monthly Challenge "ONE HUNDRED"

InsideOutlaw: Lots of fun little twists in here to keep the reader interested and entertained Very Happy
I was really glad to see that things all worked out thanks to Heyes' plan and that the sheriff's eyes they pulled the wool over was Clitterhouse's - great ending! applause

strcat Calico: Aww, I'm so glad you did this! yes What a wonderfully creative way to capsulize all of our monthly story challenges sm Eight years and four months...it sounds so long when you see it, but it only feels like a short time as far as writing stories. It was so fun to take a trip down memory lane and I love how you reminded us of all the topics we've had fun contributing to. Ah, the memories applause

MoulinP: Red shirts, blue shirts and white shirts... sounds very patriotic - as well as confusing - which is just what Heyes intended! Clever plan on his part.
Cute bit with the mix up on the name Spartacus Very Happy
bottle Ah, the gang's first tast of champagne... love their reactions! Guess they'll stick with beer yes

Penski: You set the tone for the challenge with the storm making everyone, including the horses, miserable.
The jail? What a unique place for HH & KC to find shelter! Pretty sure that's a first two thumbs
Over a hundred wanted posters? That should keep 'em busy - and warm - for awhile.
I enjoyed perusing through the stack of wanted posters with the boys. Very interesting names as well as the stories behind the names. Thanks for sharing a bit of history with us sm
Awww... sniff Sad Now I feel sorry for Heyes. Back when he was only worth $100...
And to answer Heyes' question: YES, they'd both still be wanted - by all of us!!!  grouphug

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Kid4ever - Too bad Heyes didn't learn early on how jinxing it is to say something's one hundred percent foolproof. Kid definitely seems the more reluctant to go through life as an outlaw. Even if the jobs had went as planned, I don't think they would've quit to settle down. The lure of easy money is just too tempting, especially if you're good at getting it.

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 6:58 pm

stage [b]Headin' back to the "100th EXTRA - FAVORITE CHALLENGE STORY" POSTS

Cal: Heyes and Kid at loggerheads right off the bat - yikes!
Love the bantering (as well as each stressing their points) of HH & KC
So this time it's Kid who has the plan, eh?
Oh... Guess that's one way to convince any would-be robbers.
I can't believe Kid talked Heyes into doing it... shitake mushrooms - I think I was holding my breath as I read to the end.
Enjoyed the tension, as well as where the story took me; I look forward to reading more soon cowboyclap

FrankieASJ: Aww, a contemplative, retrospective Kid standing guard over a wounded Heyes. All the ingredients for a bit of h/c scene, including the presence of a third character... the egg.
I enjoyed Kid's reminiscing about what the egg represented to him and that when he squashed it, it was a reflection on how their own lives had been changed and destroyed.  Sad

ty pender: applause You chose one of my top favorites of your challenges! two thumbs
It never fails to make me grin, smile, giggle, lol and tears to course down my cheeks (and not only because I was there when you wrote this and know how it all transpired...)
Those pictures are hilarious and add to the jocularity.yes
I'm so glad you put this up for your choice. If you'll excuse me, I have to wipe my eyes... Laughing

MoulinP: HH on his own as a hardware clerk with Seth for a sidekick - what a combination! This one caused me to wonder where in the ASJ timeline this happened, since there was only a slight reference to Kid and no appearance at all? scratch
Lots of creative uses for a clotheshorse. Who knew? Guess that would be a Hannibal Heyes plan yes

Penski: excited For some reason, I missed this on its first run and you had me chuckling from the first moment I realized where the story was taking me!
LOVE IT!!!applause
I think my most favorite part was where Kid kept referring to different episodes to see who had done what and where  Laughing  
You presented a very reasonable explanation for "that ASJ glitch" we all would love to have been done in an entirely different way, but we didn't get any say so... so, thanks for helping us out Very Happy

Remuda: cool Coming right on the heels of Penski's, your challenge choice offers us a chance to experience Kid's thoughts and emotions concerning his interaction with Bilson.
Lucky for him, he has Heyes there to help him sort things through and work through his thoughts and feelings.
Nice way to weave in their encounter with the man who made such an impact on Kid. two thumbs

Last edited by Kid4ever on Tue May 24, 2016 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 2:22 am

1) Nm131

Hello there!  Thanks for dipping a dainty toe again for the hundredth challenge.

Sheesh, I’m guessing the beer has to be fairly bad for the DHG to be turning up a fastidious nose at it.   I am loving Southpaw Paul as a name.   Nooooo! Not the whiskey.   bottle Poor old Preacher.    Clapping hard NM – we love to see the whole gang enjoying themselves.

2) Cal

So our boys are all tied up by the Indians??  Let’s hope Nathaniel’s new friend and Caleb’s Spanish can help them out.  Very reminiscent of real episodes, Cal. desert

3) Alias Alice

Ooooh – a proper gold strike!  Prepare for the gold rush.   gold coins Oh bless him – saying our two would be out of their depth with any real crooks.  Though, actually, he may have a point there.   And Kevin is gonna blow the lot on wine, women and song.  Quite right too.  What a good hook into a story there, Alice.

4) Sister grace

So dear old HH won ninety nine coin tosses out of one hundred.  It’s all in the wrist action, Kid.   So poor old Heyes is up on the roof of the stage, huh?   BUT – that’s the seat everyone actually wants for the novelty value in real life now. stage   Loving Gabby Abby.  Bless her.  Please may I have some Carter’s Cure All in my carpet bag???   Just for a little tonic.   I bet Aunt Agatha is NOT deaf – just defending herself.   Ah ha!  I knew it!    And the boys have given themselves away – mind you, they do use their real names a norful lot in the series.   LOVE it Sister Grace.  So HH escaped via the coin and the Kid has to have his ears bleed the whole way to Wyoming.   CLEVER Aunt Agatha.

5) InsideOutlaw

Oh dear.  Our boys are sounding pretty hopeless with their hundred rounds.    Afraid I am sniggering childishly at Kid Curry’s guess about the bean plan for freedom.  Snirt.  Get those saddles blazing.   CLEVER Heyes.   What a cunning bluff.  Bless him. Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 4090779501

6) Calico

Calico, you old fleabag – you actually made an effort for once!  I bet all those inserts and small font numbers took a few edits, huh?   Not much of a plot though.  What’s that?  You’re not polling it.  It was just to show willing, huh??  Okay – back to your basket.   purr

7) MoulinP

AH – Welcome to our current bandanny holder!  Hope you have it tied at a jaunty angle, Moulin P.

Red shirt???  Is it HH?  Is it the Kid??  Is a stray extra from Star Trek??   Is blue shirt wearing a wig?  Is that the explanation for the careful patting.  This is an exceedingly clever hook into a story, Moulin P.   Oooh.  Blue Shirt a head taller than Red.  Seems not our boys then??? Not both of them anyhow.
Another clever HH plan.  “I’m Spartacus – I mean, Hannibal.”  “Naw, I’m Hannibal!”
Very amusing indeed, Moulin. cowboyclap

8) Penski

It is our very own Penski, the VS mistress to the stars.
Oooh, now them.  If there is a large pile of wanted posters, does that mean they are in a Bounty Hunters cabin???   wanted  Yup, you’re right, Kid, not many good news stories in there, are there?   Seaborn Barnes – what a GREAT name.  (A bit Game of Thrones sounding??)   Aw, loved that, Penski.   Wistful ‘if only’ thoughts by the boys, but not too sentimental.  

9) Kid4ever

Oh dear, sorry to hear you are not in the pink, Kid4 – but glad bunnies still bounce.

We are getting a good few topic word checks in this one, Kid4.  Clever.  Don’t bet with Heyes, Kid.  Methinks, even if you win, you’ll lose.   And – if you win, he can’t pay you.   AH, so this is only their second ever bank robbery getaway.  They do sound so young.  Not going well, is it boys?  Do we all feel a little pang that they only plan to rob a couple of banks then give it up for ranching once they’re rich.  Aww. safe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: One Hundred   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 9:34 am

Catching up on all the One Hundred stories.

Penski – Very atmospheric description of the weather. Lucky for the boys that they were able to find shelter and in a jail of all places. Maybe there’s some future stories to come from the two outlaws that Kid met up with in the past – Nick Worthington, Wade Alsup? Nice research on all the outlaws – I did wonder if some of them were fictional or real life.

Kid4ever – Love how you got the “100’s” in to the story .
Great banter throughout. “Quit being such a Negative Nellie,Kid. Laughing
I love Heyes’ philosophy – By time time we’ve robbed a hundred banks we should be real experts, and , the bigger the haul, the less we have to rob.
Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: 100th Challenge   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Penski It would have to be some storm for the partners to voluntarily spend time in the jail. The sad and sorry ends, brilliantly told through the 100 wanted posters, to so many misdirected lives really drove home the motivation for amnesty. Ah, the arrogance and invincibility of youthful perceptions and decisions dogged their lives more relentlessly than any posse. I like how the outlaws mentioned were real, some I heard or others I have not and I will admit that my name-picking challenged brain is slightly jealous. I mean Big Nose George Deetz and Seaborn Barnes? applause minz Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 1350706698

[color=#990066]Kid4ever[/color] Not a very auspicious start on a legendary outlaw career, although Heyes never did lack in the confidence department. Lots of 100's in this story, 100 different dead-end jobs, Heyes' big plans for 100 bank robberies, 100 dollar bets and 100% fool-proof jinx to foil the 100s of dollars for their pockets. brb No

Extra 100 Challenge

Allegra - My Harry Potter is a little rusty, it's been a long time and I never did finish the series of books or movies. But even though I'm not fluent in Potterverse I enjoyed your crossover and it worked beautifully. The explanation for the magic saddlebags and the ending were very welcome! cool

[color=#0033cc]Ghislaine [/color] -A particularity poignant reunion for Heyes and Curry. I'm really glad you decided to post a story and this was illustrative of a time not frequently told. Your characterizations ring true for that period. I especially liked Heyes attempts at rationalization to ease Kid's guilt and assurance to work together always. grouphug

Shenago
This story tugged the heartstings. The choice will haunt them forever. If the tears weren't already forming the last line sure didn't help. Sad
Back to top Go down
stormr

stormr

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Way behind on my reading but nothing new there! Starting with the favorite stories - somany great stories to revisit, and a pleasure to find some new ones (to me) as well.

Calico - A sweet and sad tall all in one. Your younger year stories are always great to read. I do have to say that I like the way our boys turned out so maybe it was the right choice.

Maz - Oh pull at the heart strings just a little harder. With all your amusing stories, interesting that you chose this one - very poignant though I believe Heyes figures a way out - he always does.

RosieAnnie - loved the letter style - what a great way to tell the story. Lom and Miss Potter - glad he found happiness.

Sister Grace - one word sums it up - perfection!! Yep, the smile...the gait...the story.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 5:19 pm

To all our wonderful writers:

I'm sorry I haven't managed to read the stories this month. My Dad passed away last Friday after a long illness and things have been chaotic ever since.

I will look forward to reading them and will comment as I do but I already know they are great!

IO

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2016 12:38 am

InsideOutlaw, I'm so sorry to read your sad news.  Sending you and your family my deepest condolences. May your father rest in perfect peace and may you find comfort in your memories.

~~<>~~<>~~<>~~

What a wonderful way to celebrate such a milestone!  Thank you all for more than a hundred minutes' worth of pleasure!

nm131: Woohoo, you're back! So nice to see you again and with a great story as well!  I, too, sang that song on long car trips when much younger.  Loved the ending which, somehow, I never managed to get to.

Cal: Well, this certainly makes me want to read more!  Lots of questions to be answered from this short excerpt and I look forward to reading the rest of the story at some point.  Great line from Caleb!

Alias Alice: Fun story and another one that I'd like to read more of.  I can see all sorts of possibilities for additional plot lines here!  And maybe it's my imagination, but Kevin kind of reminded me of Seth and his search for riches.

sistergrace: Ohh, you are SO tricky!  And Heyes and Curry really are SO stupid sometimes.  :-)  Great story and good for Aunt Agatha!

InsideOutlaw: Love this exchange: "How many d'you think there are?"  "Any is too many."  Fun banter as Heyes enacts his plan in front of a mystified Curry.  So that's why the sheriff had such a grudge! (I wonder how his stomach held up all those years…)

Calico: That's brilliant!  I got it at #4 and enjoyed the trip down memory lane.   Fantastically clever story!

MoulinP: Wow, what an excellent idea on Heyes' part!  I really thought it was the boys on the porch -- good job with the twist!

Penski: Kinda ironic the boys actually choose to enter a jail cell!  Really enjoyed this, especially Heyes' reaction to his first wanted poster.  Sure makes ya think the boys did the right thing to get outta the business when they could.  

Kid4Ever: Great use of the prompt, repeatedly!  I enjoyed the wistful notes from Kid mixed in with the suspense.  And how appropriate that the last line of your story was the last line for all this month's challenges!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2016 9:15 pm

And now for the Favorites stories; Part I:

Calico: I remember this story.  And it's just as sad this time reading it as it was before.

Maz: Just as poignant as the first time I read it.  Love how you left it open-ended at the end.

RosieAnnie: Another great reread!  The tone and voice in these letters is just perfect.

sistergrace: Love the how the ending comes full circle!  Glad you picked this story so I could read it again.

HannaHeyes: Loved this the first time and loved it again now!  Such clever dialog and, yup, poor Kyle.

InsideOutlaw: Your plots are always so enjoyable -- a great outlaw days story from you, as usual!

BeeJay: Definitely your best short story ever!  So evocative but oh, so sad.

Back to top Go down
skykomish

skykomish

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2016 10:07 pm

April's Challenge Stories

nm131 -  So good to see you back and writing again.  This story is loads of fun.  So Heyes had everyone searching the camp.  Very nice of the Kid to humor his partner.  The long lost stash of flat beer was a great story idea.  I enjoyed reading about how it was disposed of.

Cal - Indians with rifles.  I can't help but wonder what they want.  Nat and Caleb seem like resourceful youngsters.  You have engaged my interest.  Now I want to know what the youngsters are doing traveling with HH and KC and why they are all out in Navajo country.  That is some pretty spare and barren land.  

SisterGrace - This is a fun story.  Aunt Agatha is a crafty one. Loved this line:  "Oh, Aunt Agatha never travels by train! Not since the incident."  I can almost hear "the incident,"  like it is in all caps.  You managed to write Gabby Abby's dialogue, so that I felt out of breath just reading it. Well done.

InsideOutlaw - First, I am very sorry to hear of your loss.  Condolences.  As for the story, loads of fun.  You came up with a wonderful Hannibal Heyes plan.  Nice back story to the history with Clitterhouse.  Loved the Kid's sarcasm in this tale. Nicely written.

Calico - Very clever Ms. Calico.  A fun walk down memory lane for all of us as well as for HH and KC.  

MoulinP - Nice Hannibal Heyes plan.  I enjoyed Wheat's grumbling.  I thought that something was up, but it took me a while to realize what was going on. Nice diversion and a fun plot.    

Penski - The description of the storm at the beginning almost made it sound like another character in the story.  Nicely done.  Very good having them forced into sheltering in the old sheriff office.  Down memory lane with the wanted posters was a nice touch.  I enjoyed reading this one.

Kid4ever - Loved this line:“I know what happened,” Heyes reminded his partner. “I was there!” This is an interesting account of how they got started in the "business."  I am surprised they kept at it with such a rocky start.  Lots of good action in this piece.  Nice job.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 5:57 pm

It Never Rains But It Pours...

Cal – Mexico doesn’t sound like the smartest destination this time around.  I can imagine beans would get very tiring to eat very quickly.  Really enjoyed the search for the last few coins for breakfast.  Loved this line - Kid still looks like he's considering turning Heyes upside down and shaking him.   lol2 … what a cute ending!

Maz – WHAT?!?  Where’s the “rest of the story”?!?  Another cliff hanger?  Sigh… There wasn’t blood on the Kid that Heyes could immediately see so that good, huh?  Okay, the ending was NOT good.   No  Another cliffhanger!

Cal

Cal

PostSubject: never rains but it pours   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Cal: Mmmmmm ....where's the blood? ......where's the angst? ......Oh dear ....

Maz:  Ah ....now this is more like it! Maz is a writer who really knows how to shoot an ex-outlaw ....right out of the blue ..... Rain, wet fire, potential for arguments ....fab.... WHAT? nugget? smiles?....Noooo......BANG! ....that's how you do it. None of your happy ever after, namby pamby endings ...leave him flat on his back on the cold wet ground ...or staring down the barrel of a mad man's rifle ....with a hanging threat of "You know the penalty for Claim Jumping"

....but I don't know....so I'm imagining terrible consequences... scared  

Good Grief!...Cal's behind the sofa ..."its alright ...Kids just having a bit of a lie down ...he fainted seeing all that gold ..."

......... Don't tell Cal but I thought it was brilliant!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Two more from the extra 100 challenge. Sorry the comments are being posted in dribs and drabs at the moment.

Alias Alice –  Lovely story. Good that the farmer and his wife took pity on the two boys.

Nm131 – Remember this one well from when you first posted it. I love the tension in the story as Kid makes the drastic decision that will change their lives. Glad you posted this one again.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Cal - Nothing but beans, eh? Actually, rattlesnake doesn't taste that bad. Kid might've liked it. I loved when Kid found out where his dollar had gone! That image of him grabbing Heyes by his shirt to pull him up made me laugh lol2 And the sequence of the conversation that follows is great. Also enjoyed the last line.

Maz - No, no, no! You cannot leave this story like this! I have to know what happens next, especially when there's only one penalty for claim jumping.

Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 1:20 am

Just finished reading the Extra 100 Challenge anniversary thread.  What a great bunch of stories!  The talent of all the writers is amazing -- thank you again for many hours of pleasure.

Skykomish: I don't really remember this story but…  Wow!  I can see why it's your favorite.  You got the speech pattern and thought process down pat.  Love the climax and Jed's characterization.

Alias Alice: How nice that the boys found a sympathetic farmer.  Great use of the chicken prompt.  I, too, would've liked to have heard Jed's explanation!

nm131: Well, this just makes me want to read the whole series yet another time.  It never loses its power!

Cal: Ohh, clever!  Sorry to say this is the first story by you that I've read--but it certainly won't be the last.  Well done!

FrankieASJ: Very nice reflective piece of writing.  You do hurt/comfort so dang well!

ty pender: Um…that was a bit weird!  :-)  Although I did like the allusion--at least, I think that's what was going on--to Roger becoming Heyes. A very unusual plot, for sure!

MoulinP: Fun with story with, yup, another great Hannibal Heyes plan!  I enjoyed reading this for the first time.

Penski: Enjoyed reading this again --such a great way to address the Kid's reaction to seeing a different Heyes.  Really liked the foreshadowing!

Remuda: Great reflective story about the aftermath to "Smiler."  I always liked this angst story.

stormr: I can just picture this playing out!  Poor Wheat (and that's not a typical sentiment around here, huh?!), and Kyle thinking it all makes perfect sense.  Very amusing!

cjp242: This was your first posted story???  Wow!  Full of excitement, angst, suspense--it's great!  I look forward to reading lots more from you.

Kid4ever: I think I vaguely remember this…  I really enjoyed Heyes' rambling thoughts as he waited for Kid and the angst while he waited to find out if his partner had been on that stage.  As for which ending I like more, I think I prefer the one in the challenge story -- not sure why; I just do.  

IonaGraham: Oh yes, I well remember this story!  Still leaves me speechless that you wrote that ending.  But…what a great piece of writing!

Allegra: Fascinating hypothesis that actually makes sense and explains so much.  This was a really fun reread!

Shenango: Aww, so sad…and so it begins…  This is a sad story but it sets things up so well.  Really nicely done!

Last edited by Ghislaine Emrys on Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: it never rains but it pours   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 10:59 am

FrankieASJ   it never rains but it pours

...Starting straight in with a big lightening flash - fab atmosphere  - I'm shivering....yes get to shelter. Oh a damsel in distress....with an injured husband....mmm dilapidated cabin...interesting....aww Kid wants to help....very Kid....haha love Heyes' quip about helping the needy....oh dear, reduced circumstances...I for one want to know why....Makes you so glad we got an NHS... poor can aford to be sick

Oh love this line - The Kid gave his partner a mordacious look. - I don't even know what it means! I'll look it up ....later.

OOOh Wyoming? does she know who they are? Heyes just sit back - I want to hear the story.

Good ending, and very thought provoking. No insurance against bank robberies either in those days.
Not surprised that hit the older HH and KC hard, especially as their earlier arrogant selves had been paraded so eloquently earlier in the evening by Mary.
Wouldn't have wanted to be in their cowboy boots for a while.

Good Tale FrankieASJ
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Frankie posted a challenge! wow

So reading... Love the description of the storm!  Oh, poor lady with her husband - I feel for her.  Glad for Kid Curry's sense of helping others.  How sad how much they had and how much they lost.  Oh, because of them.  Yep, our actions affect others.  Excellent tale, Frankie!  two thumbs

HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Frankie - What a sad story Mary has to tell. At least Alfred's eyes were closed so he couldn't identify them. What once was arrogance has turned to guilt as the repercussions are seen. I enjoyed this and wouldn't mind a bit reading a longer version.

Little Bluestem - What a way to spend a morning! I believe I would've slapped someone that cheery that early in the morning if I had endured that. I liked this alot.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016   Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - from 1st Nov 2015 to ...7th Oct 2016
Page 9 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next