Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

March 2024 - A fine Vintage

Go down 
+3
Leah_Anders
Kathy
Calico
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

March 2024 - A fine Vintage Empty
PostSubject: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 8:01 am

Hello there everyone,
Tomorrow I am having my annual whodunnit, murder mystery

This year, it is set amongst vineyard owners in the famous Napa Valley,

SO, I thought the topic for your fertile (not futile, fertile) fingers should be

A Fine Vintage bottle bottle bottle

(which of course - could refer to things other than wine :) )
Back to top Go down
Kathy

PostSubject: Re: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 5:52 pm

A Fine Vintage

Kid Curry stood outside the gun shop, his blue eyes focused on a small Colt revolver, the likes of which he had seen only once before today. Inside, the shop owner took notice of the man standing with his arms folded across his chest and his low-hanging gun belt tied down on his thigh.

As the owner of the gun shop, Horace Bently knew a potential customer when he saw one, and he saw one in this man wearing a heavy Sherpa and a wide-brimmed brown felt hat with a custom-made hatband. Bently, a short, rotund, and balding man with wide, gray sideburns and a sandy brown handlebar moustache knew exactly which gun the potential customer was eying. It was the same gun most window-shoppers stopped to admire; a gun destined to become a classic among Colt firearms.

The gun was an 1846 Colt handgun with a nine-inch, silver barrel and a Rosewood grip that had
seasoned and darkened with age and use. Known as a Colt Walker, it was a single action gun with a revolving cylinder that held six charges of black powder behind six bullets.

Never one to miss the opportunity of a sale, Horace Bently straightened his bowtie and brushed the wrinkles from his crips, white shirt before opening the door to greet the man outside.
“If you’d like to come in, you can have a hands-on examination of the gun with no pressure to buy, of course,” Bently said from the open door of the shop.

Kid turned his head slightly as his eyes moved to the shop owner. “If it’s not too much trouble,” he replied.

Bently smiled and gestured with one arm to invite the customer inside. After successfully ushering the Kid inside, Bently retrieved the gun from the window display. He moved behind the counter and carefully rested the gun on a velvet cloth on top of the display case.

“It’s a fine example of an early Colt model of a single-action revolver. A revolutionary piece in its day but considered an antique by today’s standards I’m afraid. It’s still in perfect working order. The man who owned it took very good care it as you can see.”

Kid gently lifted the gun in his hand to get a feel of the weight and determine the balance. He opened the chamber and gave it a spin. He then drew back the trigger and ran featherlight fingers down the barrel. Then he lifted the gun to face level and looked down the barrel, then held the gun close to his face and sniffed.

Bently smiled and uttered a slight chuckle. “You won’t smell gunpowder. The gun has been well
maintained but I doubt it’s been fired in twenty years.”

“I was sniffing for the smell of blueberries,” Kid replied without further explanation.

Deep lines of curiosity filled Bentley’s brow. “Blueberries?”

Kid nodded as he placed the gun back down on the velvet cloth. “You happen to know who last owned it?”

“I keep detailed records of all the guns that pass through this shop,” Bently replied and moved down the counter to a five-drawer file cabinet standing against the wall. “I actually cross file with the buyer or seller’s name as well as by the specific item,” he said as he opened one of the lower drawers and began sorting through some files. “Ah, here we are,” he added and pulled a thin file from the drawer and set it down next to the gun.

“This particular gun has been in my shop for quite some time. I purchased it… almost three years ago from a man by the name of… Tapscott.”

“Matt Tapscott?” Kid asked.

“No, not Matt. This man’s name was Tom Tapscott.”

Blue eyes raised toward the store owner. “How old was this fella?”

Bently slowly shook his head as he tried to recall the sale. “I’d say fifteen or sixteen perhaps. He said his father was a prospector and had recently died. His mother needed money for the burial and traveling expenses.”

“Where was she traveling to?” Kid asked.

Again, Bently shook his head. “He didn’t say…. Do you know the Tapscotts?”

Kid nodded. “Met em six or seven years ago. A nice family. Ain’t seen em since, though.”

Kid’s eyes dropped down to the gun still resting on the velvet cloth. “How much you want for it?”

“As I said, it’s a fine, vintage piece of weaponry,” Bently said. “Antiquated, but still in remarkable
working condition. It’s sturdy, durable and would be a fine addition to any man’s collection,” Bently said in his well-rehearsed sales pitch.

“How much,” Kid prodded.

“It’s a hard gun to replace, quite rare, really.”

“How much?”

“I doubt I’ll ever come across another one.”

“I’ll give you twenty dollars; cold, hard cash.”

“Sold.”

Kid quickly put a twenty-dollar gold piece on the counter and gathered the gun and slipped it into the pocket of his Sherpa, then waited impatiently as Bently added the sale to his records and wrote a receipt.

“And your name, sir?” Bently asked.

Kid paused a moment while debating whether to give the man his real name or the alias he had used before getting his amnesty. The alias was the name Tommy Tabscott would recognize if he ever returned to the shop for the gun.

“Jones, Thaddeus Jones.”

“Well Mr. Jones, you’ve purchased a piece of American history. Money well spent because this gun will only go up in value provided you give it the care it deserves.”

“I’d like you to add a note to your records if you would.”

“A note?”

“If Tom or Bess Tapscott ever come back looking for the gun, I’d like you to tell them to get in touch with Sheriff Lom Trevers in Porterville.”

“You want to return the gun to the Tapscotts? Might I ask why?” Bently inquired.

“Well, I’ll tell you. Mrs. Tapscott bakes the finest blueberry pie in all the west.”

“I don’t understand,” Bently replied with a look of confusion.

Kid chuckled. “She uses a fine vintage of blueberries. The best I’ve ever tasted.”

“You want to return this gun to the Tapscotts because Mrs. Tapscott is a good cook?” Bently asked, still confused by the conversation.

“You ever been in jail, Mr. Bently?” Kid asked.

Bently shook his head. “No, I never have. Why?”

“Because if you ever had, you’d understand just why a homemade blueberry pie is like a piece of
heaven. Give that a bit of thought and you might come to understand why I was sniffin’ the gun. If it still don’t come to you, try looking up the Tapscott trial in Hadleyburg that happened about six years ago. Once you put all the pieces together, you’ll find that this gun really is a fine vintage piece of history. Might even be a museum piece one day.”

“Are you saying I just sold you a gun that’s worth far more than you paid?” Bently asked with a bit of indignation.

Kid smiled. “I’m saying the Tapscotts may have finally just struck gold.”

0-0-0-0-0

Author’s Note: The present-day value of an original 1886 Colt Walker is between $160,000 and $275,000.

Penski, Gemhenry, rachel741, Kattayl, KimL55 and Leah_Anders like this post

Back to top Go down
Leah_Anders

PostSubject: Re: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 4:20 pm

“I told you I’m not interested.”  Heyes’ dark eyes flashed with undisguised anger.

“Pity.  It’s a very fine vintage.  The best you’ve ever come across in your—limited experience, I’m sure.”

“I can get a drink anywhere.  I’m here for one thing and one thing only, so I suggest you stop your damn stalling and we get down to business.”

“Very well.”  The man, dressed in a fine waistcoat, ascot tied precisely around his neck, glanced down at the gold pocket watch he held in his right hand.  “Beautiful piece of machinery, this watch.  My grandfather stole it from an old man in France.  It was handed down to my father before me and now it belongs to me.  Amazing watch really; never misses a beat.  Keeps perfect time, actually; as old as it is.”  He reached across the huge mahogany desk where he was sitting and picked up the crystal decanter filled with blood-red wine, pausing to pour a measure into a delicate gold-edged goblet.  

“Quit your stalling.”

“Those paintings on the wall?  That vase?  That sculpture over there.”  He gestured expansively around the splendid room where they were sitting.  “All very old.  All…priceless.”  The man swirled the red, sparkling liquid with a practiced movement of his wrist before taking a delicate, almost effeminate sip.  He licked his full lips, never taking his eyes off Heyes’ face.  

“I get your point.  You have a lot of old things.  I don’t care about any of that.”

“Yes.  Yes, there is a lot to be said about old, expensive things.  But there are some things that I prefer to possess that are young and fresh.”

“You don’t possess her.”

“The law says otherwise, I’m afraid.  I bought her.  Just like I bought all these other splendid things.  She’s just another possession; not old and not priceless but mine nonetheless and I intend to keep her.”

“You say she’s not priceless.  So what’s your price?  I’ll find the money you need, just name it.”

“Oh, Mr. Smith.  You haven’t been listening, so I’ll repeat myself.  She’s mine and I intend to keep her.  I have—great things—in store for her.  Great things.”

“I know what kind of great things you have in store for her and I’m not going to let you do to her what you did to the others.”

“And what do you think you can do about it, Mr. Smith.  I told you—she’s mine.”  

Heyes turned to look over his right shoulder.  In the corner of the big room sat a young girl, no older than sixteen but dressed in a bright red party gown which made her look much older than her tender years.  Her hair was down around her shoulders in a tangled mess and her eyes rarely looked up to see the terror that might overcome her.  

Her name was Anna and he’d met her his first night in town.  She was working at the saloon as a bar maid.  She had approached him and sat down at his table, awkwardly trying to be flirtatious but coming off more like a school girl playing make believe.  It was not a good look as far as Heyes was concerned but most of the men in the saloon didn’t seem to mind how old she looked; in fact, her young only made her more enticing to the likes of the men in the saloon.  

Heyes had offered to take her to his room; not to make love to her, but to allow her a bit of safety and peace in an unsafe place.  Once alone in his room, she told him that she’d only arrived in town a few days earlier with her father, a terrible brute who had terrorized her and her mother for most of her life, and that her mother, unable to bear life with her husband any longer, had taken her own life.  

Heyes learned that her father had soon after taken her to this saloon and left her, without a penny; without any clothing except an old, soiled shirt and pants much too big for her delicate frame and a couple inexpensive but flouncy dresses he’d bought at a low-end dress shop, suitable for work at such an establishment as the one she found herself in.  

The truly unfortunate thing for the girl was that her father didn’t just leave her to fend for herself in this god-forsaken town.  The truly unfortunate thing for her was that her father had quickly built up massive gambling debts to the man who sat across the big mahogany desk from Heyes.  And these debts had been paid in full by the life and body of a helpless and vulnerable young girl.  A girl who had spent her entire short life being victimized by first one man without remorse and now, a second man who seems not only without remorse but without a soul.  

“I said, what do you intend to do about it, Mr. Smith?”

Heyes focused his attention back on the man.  “I intend to leave here.  With Anna.”

“I see.”  The man slouched back in his fine leather chair and nonchalantly appraised Heyes over slender, steepled fingertips.  “I thought I was clear on my position but I see that you are a bit dense so I’ll repeat myself.  The girl—is—mine.”

“And I’ll repeat myself.  Anna is coming with me.”

The man smiled serenely and sat upright in his chair.  “Before you leave, I’d like to show you another priceless object I’ve acquired over my life.”  He reached to open the large side drawer of his desk; pausing when he noticed Heyes’s hand quickly move to his holstered gun-butt.  Hesitating, he said, “Don’t worry.  Yes, I do have a gun in here but I don’t intend to shoot you.  Unless you leave me no choice, of course.  No, no.  I just believe you’ll appreciate this particular object more than an average man.”

Heyes nodded almost imperceptively, but his hand remained resting on his gun.  “Go ahead then, but I’m warning you…”

The man opened the drawer and pulled out a beautifully stained wooden box.  He placed the box on the desk between himself and Heyes, who watched with interest.  With some pomp, he opened the lid of the box revealing its contents.  Heyes’ eyes opened wide in amazement at the treasures within.  

Inside the box were a pair of stunningly engraved revolvers.  Both were highly ornate in their etching and sported ivory handles.  One was engraved with the image of an eagle while the other held the image of a man who seemed familiar to Heyes.  

The man stood up and lovingly extracted one of the revolvers which he laid, with an almost rapturous sheen on his face, on the desk in front of him.  He lifted his eyes to meet Heyes’, gauging the almost-unwilling admiration he saw reflected in his eyes.  He smiled with satisfaction.  “I knew a man of your—caliber—would appreciate this for what it is.”

Somewhat grudgingly, Heyes said, “I can’t deny, it’s a beautiful piece of hardware.”

“Yes.  And the other one is equally beautiful.  Very beautiful.”  

“Where’d you get these?”

“These, my friend, were given to General Ulysses S. Grant after the capture of Vickburg.  You might recognize the manufacturer?  These are the Remington New Model Army revolvers, specially ordered for Grant.  Quite impressive, wouldn’t you agree?  The carvings are by the firm of L.D. Nimschke out of New York, although I hardly think you’d be familiar with their work.”

“I’ve heard the name.”

“My goodness, you are more knowledgeable than I’d give you credit for, I must say, Mr. Smith.”  Extending the gun toward Heyes, the man said, “Please, be my guest.  It’s not loaded, of course.  In case you might get any bad ideas.”

Heyes accepted the offered revolver, turning it this way and that in his hands, momentarily swept away in his admiration of the workmanship and history of the hardware.  After a thorough examination, he gently placed the revolver back into the box and closed the lid.  

“How did you get your hands on these?  Stolen, I presume?”

“My dear Mr. Smith.  I thought you understood by now.  I can have anything I desire.  My wealth knows no bounds.”  The man smiled serenely, fingers laced across his expensive suit jacket.  

“That’s funny, because I heard that you’ve gotten most of your—wealth—by stealing and cheating other people.”

“Well, of course.  I make no apologies for how I attained my position, or my wealth.  Stealing.  Cheating.  Even killing.  Makes no difference to me.”

Heyes stared darkly at the man.  “Oh, I understand killing to get what you want.  So I hope you understand that I won’t be leaving here without Anna.”

“Come now, Mr. Smith.  You hardly seem capable of killing a man for something so trivial as this young creature.”

“Believe me, it would be my pleasure to kill you.  But no, I don’t think that’s going to be necessary.”  Heyes stood up and walked over to Anna, still sitting silently in her chair.  He extended his left hand to her in a gesture meant to convey they were leaving; his eyes never wavering from the man’s face.  

“Mr. Smith.  I would not be so eager to do that if I were you,” the man said, threateningly, as he also stood up.  In his hand, a small pistol had appeared as if from nowhere.  Heyes pulled Anna to her feet and shielded her body with his own.  The man waggled the gun in Heyes’ direction.  “As you can tell, this pistol is nowhere near as impressive or expensive as the revolvers, but I assure you, my aim is good and true and you won’t take two steps before I shoot you dead with it.”  

“I don’t doubt that even you could probably make that shot but you see, I wasn’t so stupid as to come here alone today.  So if you value your own life, you’ll put the gun down and let us leave.”

The man’s eyes blinked nervously; his tongue flicking across his dry lips before regaining his aplomb.  “Dear Mr. Smith, you don’t really expect me to fall for something so simple-minded, do you?  No, it’s just you, me and the girl.  And I don’t think the girl is going to be of any use to you.  Not like she will be for me, at least.”  The man grinned lasciviously.  

Heyes glared at the man.  “The more you speak, the more I’d love to kill you myself but you’re not even worth the bullet.”  Heyes hugged Anna protectively, angling his body between her and the man.  “Come on, Anna.  We’re leaving now.”

“Stop!”  Heyes heard the sound of the hammer being pulled back.  In one swift motion, he pushed Anna clear and pivoted toward the man, simultaneously drawing his own side-arm.  Without stopping, he fired and the small pistol flew from the man’s hand.  The man grabbed his gun hand with his other uninjured hand; blood pooled into his palm as he stared down in disbelief.  “You shot me!” he screamed, more in indignation than pain, although pain was undoubtedly a factor.  He sank back down in his chair, all color drained from his face and lips.  

At the sound of the gunshot, the door burst open and Kid Curry ran through, his own gun in his hand and looking for a target.  Heyes scowled fiercely.  “Where the hell have you been?” he demanded of his partner.  

Kid took in the scene, wide-eyed.  “I was waiting for the signal,” he said, defensively.  

“Signal!  Well, that’s just fine,” Heyes replied in disgust.  Turning to confront the man once more, he said, “You’re fine.  Wrap your hand in this and get to a doctor.  With any luck, you won’t bleed out before you get help.”  He threw his bandana at him and then turned his attention back to Kid Curry.    “Thaddeus, would you mind helping Anna outside.  I have a little more business to discuss with our friend here.”

At the sound of Heyes’ voice, the now-weak man locked fear-filled eyes on him.  He shrank visibly into his luxurious chair as Heyes approached his desk with fury in his eyes.  Heyes placed his hands, palms down, flat on the fancy desk and commanded all of the other man’s attention.  “Now you listen to me, you useless bag of maggots, we’re taking Anna far away from here.  If we ever, ever catch wind of you trying this again, we will be back.  And next time, it won’t be your hand that gets blowed off.  You understand me?” he said as he leaned further across the desk until his face was mere inches from the other man’s face.  The man nodded, quickly and repeatedly.  Heyes straightened up to his full height.  His eyes grazed across the top of the desk and the treasures there; pausing on the unopened bottle of wine.  “A fine vintage, to be sure.  I’ll just take this for my trouble.”  He glared at the man for a few seconds more and began to turn to leave.  Suddenly, he paused and returned to the desk, reaching out with his left hand to scoop up the elegant wooden case holding the Remington revolvers.  Then, with three quick strides, he was past the threshold of the room with its lavish furnishings.  Moments later, he rejoined Curry and Anna, who were already astride Curry’s horse.  Heyes handed the wooden box up to Anna and then mounted his own horse.  The three rode off, leaving the stink of opulence behind them.  

The two men and one young girl holding a carpet bag stood on the railroad platform.  She wore a simple gingham dress and a matching bow in her silken hair, befitting her tender age.  Heyes glanced at the waiting train.  Kid Curry held another carpet bag in his hand.  Heyes reached out and took it from his friend.  “Our friend in Yuma is expecting you.  She owns a dress shop there.  She’s a nice lady and she’ll take care of you until you are ready to set out on your own.  Her name is Louise.”  He reached out and handed Anna the other carpet bag.  “This is for you.  I’ve already told Louise you have it and she’s going to help you find a buyer.  With the money you get for the pair of revolvers, you should be able to have a fine life.”

Anna smiled up at Heyes; she threw her arms around his waist and hugged him furiously.  The train whistle signaled it was time to board.  He gently kissed the top of her head before she turned and walked onto the platform.  All three waved, and the train chugged away down the track, headed for Yuma.  Once it was out of sight, Curry turned to look at Heyes who smiled sadly.  “Cheer up, Heyes.  We still have a very expensive bottle of wine to drink.  Only, let’s do it about a hundred miles from here; where your angry friend won’t be able to find us.”

Penski, Gemhenry, rachel741, Kattayl and Kathy like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 9:33 am

Heyes woke with a start, an idea full grown in his head, and leaned over to the other bed, and nudged his fast asleep partner hard, before lighting the lamp by his own and sitting back on his quilt. The Kid sat up, gun in hand, instantly alert, before flopping back down onto his pillow, with a heavy sigh, re-holstering his weapon as he did so. Still reclined he looked over at his overly awake, overly cheerful partner, who was practically bouncing up and down on the mattress, making the tired springs squeak a bit. “This can't wait till mornin' Heyes?”

Heyes gave him a broad smile. “It could, Kid, but its such a good plan, I wanted to share it soon as possible.”

The Kid stared at him, gave a small snort, then shrugged as he realised there'd be no sleep until he listened. “Go on then, Heyes.”

Heyes' smile broadened and he practically rubbed his hands with glee. “I got a question for ya, Kid. What are we really good at?” The Kid trying to think of an answer other than finding trouble, didn't reply quick enough for his partner, who threw his hands up. “Aww C'mon Kid, it ain't that hard a question.”

“Well, we were really good at robbing, Heyes...”

Before he could add anything else, Heyes nodded vigorously. “Exactly Kid, and like you said to Lom it don't seem fair we're being penalised for excellence. I'm pretty sure that's why the idiots in Cheyenne are stalling, because damn it, Kid, we were good.”

The Kid still dozy, and eager to return to his pleasant dream of eating dessert, naked with an incredibly pretty, and very willing gal, who was promising more delights once they were finished eating the damned good pie, said. “Just spell it out, Heyes, I got a real nice dream waiting for me.”

Heyes looked offended. “You'd take a dream over a Hannibal Heyes plan of the finest vintage?”

The Kid sighed as the dream slipped away, and hoping he could recapture it another night, he resigned himself to staying awake to listen as he said. “All right, Heyes, we were real good at outlawing, but not getting caught isn't any easier now then it was when we started going straight, even harder most likely, and even you gotta admit that last job before we left, wasn't exactly one of your best.”

Heyes' excitement only seemed to increase as he dismissed the criticism  with an expansive wave of his hands. “Well, that was our old way. I got a new plan. Subtlety, Kid, that's what we need.”

The Kid frowned and shook his head. “Subtlety?”

“Yeah, subtlety, it means...”

The Kid sighed and cut Heyes off. “I know what it means, Heyes, but it ain't nothing I ever thought of us using before.”

Heyes' face fell for a minute, then lit back up. “And that was a mistake, Kid, and one we won't make again.”

The Kid wondering if Heyes had banged his head, or was getting sick, looked at him in concern. “You wanna go back to it?”

Heyes' expression sobered as he said. “Well, I'm getting real sick of being broke, and  always on the run. I know you are too. So, we gotta change something.” Then his face broke into a smile. “And I got it, Kid. We ain't going back to robbing trains and banks.”

“We're not?” The Kid stifled a yawn, as his head spun a little trying to keep up with his partner's logic.”

“House robbing, Kid, that's the next big thing.”

“We tried that, Heyes, I can still feel my ribs twinge, if I twist wrong, with the beating we got from Armendariz's men. Not to mention I've lost at least five years of my life each time we've tried it since.”

Heyes sighed. “You're just not thinking broad enough, Kid.That's where subtlety comes in.”

The Kid eyed his partner, and said with a slightly wicked expression,“Like choosing the right window you mean, and not falling down the steps with the things we stole?”

Heyes gave him a hard stare, but only said. “Yeah, and not intimidating the help without a bandana over our faces, so they can identify us, that kinda thing. And we won't steal nothing heavy, just what we can put in our pockets.”

The Kid felt a small smile breaking out on his face. “Ya know Heyes, that's pretty damn good.”

“See, I still got it, Kid, aren't you glad I shared? We'll just steal from folk that can afford it. Use the money from the first job to settle somewhere where Heyes and the other fella ain't well known, and pick a couple of new names we can get used to. Then just plan our jobs so people don't suspect us, donate some of it to build a school and a church or something, so even if people do start to wonder, they won't much care, as long as we don't steal from our neighbours.”

The Kid felt his enthusiasm for the idea growing, but then a thought struck him. “How we gonna explain the money, Heyes?”

“Now that's the easy part, we'll just say we're gold prospectors, or diamond miners who struck it rich.” He paused and added. “You're gonna have to be careful, and not draw on too many asshats who annoy ya, we'll just threaten them with lawyers instead.”

The Kid felt hopeful for maybe the first time in months, and smiled over at his partner. ”When do you think we oughta start?”

“When the nights get longer, Kid, easier not to be seen.” He paused then added. “And after we check in with Lom, just to make sure we aren't gong to get what we were promised anytime soon.”

ASJ

To: Lom Trevors. Porterville
Any news from our mutual friend?

To: Joshua Smith, Blast Town
None yet, but don't give up.

To: Lom Trevors, Porterville
Sorry, Lom, we're done.

To: Joshua Smith, Blast Town
Now boys, don't do anything rash.

To: Lom Trevors, Porterville
We know when we're beat, and its time to fold.

The Kid peering over Heyes' shoulder, nodded his agreement, and Heyes handed what he'd written to the telegrapher, paid him and together they left. “He'll come looking, Heyes, you know that.”

“Well he won't find us. I'll be kind of sorry to say goodbye to Joshua Smith, he weren't such a bad fella.”

The Kid laughed. “Well, that kinda depends on who you're asking, Heyes, he was kinda short on ideas sometimes.”

“At least he wasn't a stubborn hothead like Thaddeus Jones.”

The Kid glared, then shrugged in agreement. “Yeah, both them fellas were kind of losers, next time we'll do better.”

ASJ

The Kid was mending one of his saddlebags, when Heyes looked up from reading his book. “I've thought of my new name. Joshua Hayes, with an a. I've kinda got used to Joshua.”

The Kid met his eyes. “What about someone putting that together with Kid, and getting Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry?”

“Kid's easy to explain away, you're my younger cousin, and I ain't being rude or anything, but you weren't always good at remembering not to call me Heyes.”

The Kid glared feeling a bit slighted, but he had to admit that his partner had a point, and managed a small smile as Heyes added. “Besides we'll be rich enough, that people likely won't ask too many questions anyways.”

“I bin thinking too, Heyes. I'm gonna keep Thaddeus as I'm kinda used to it. Thaddeus Blake is a name I could get comfortable with.”

Heyes nodded and then grinned Kid as he said. “I've found our first job, Kid. Big time rancher, owns a huge place just outta town Carlton Russell the third. His only daughter is getting wed next week to some lawyer outta Flagstaff. Russell's planning on giving her away, he's a widower, housekeeper lives out, and a lot of his hands are out driving cattle. So his place will be good and quiet for a couple of weeks.”

“Won't people be real suspicious when he gets robbed after some stranger in town was asking questions?”

“Have some faith, Kid, I didn't need to ask a thing, some of the girl's school friends' are going, and its all they're talking about. Lady who runs the general store was real happy to talk too, as she's had a run on her best fabric, so she's got enough cash to shut up shop for a few days to visit her daughter and new grandbaby. Besides whose gonna look till he comes back? We'll be well away by then. Subtlety, Kid, subtlety.”

The Kid frowned. “I sure wish you'd thought 'bout that when we was robbing banks and trains, would've meant we got recognised less.”

Heyes humphed and returned to his reading as the Kid laughed, but added nothing else, happy he'd made his point.

ASJ

“There's gotta be fifty thousand dollars cash in here, Kid, and about the same in jewellery.”

The Kid whistled as he peered into the safe. “What we gonna take?”

Heyes studied the treasures for a minute. “I'm thinking the cash, Kid, much harder to trace, especially as its in used bills. Not all of it mind, we don't want to be greedy. I'm thinking about fifteen thousand should do us as a starter.”

The Kid's eyes widened, fifteen thousand dollars was more then they'd seen in years, and sounded plenty fair. He even wondered if Russell would even notice it was missing straight off.

Santa Isabel
Mexico

“Senor Hayes, Senor Blake. This meet with your approval?”

The land agent, waved over the beautiful Villa in front of them, just outside a growing town, nestled on the Gulf of Mexico and Heyes and the Kid stared in silent appreciation, before Heyes finally found his voice. “Gracias Senor Alvarez, it is just what we're looking for.”

“Buena, Buena.”

Later when it was officially theirs, they sat in the comfortable living room, and looked at each other in slightly stunned silence, before Heyes cleared his throat. “We got enough cash to last us for several months, so we don't have nowhere else we need to be till then.”

The Kid smiled, though Heyes could see regret in his face as he said. “I kinda wish we could have done this a different way, Heyes, but we've done everything that was asked of us, and got nowhere, and it don't seem like that was ever gonna change, so it feels like we didn't have much choice, but I...” He trailed off, not quite sure what he was trying to say.

Heyes looked at him in some understanding, as his own feelings were also a little mixed. “I know, Kid, but waiting for amnesty was killing us, and this way, we get to live well, and do some good too. The Mayor here says they're wanting to hire a doctor full time, so I was thinking we donate some of the money from our next job to help them with that.”

The Kid turned to him, his smile turning more genuine as he said. “So long as he ain't a quack like Doc Beauregard.”

Heyes laughed and clapped him on the shoulder as he said. “Well, the Mayor seems a sensible sort, I'm sure he'll get the right man.”

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski, Kattayl, KimL55 and Kathy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Kattayl

PostSubject: Secrets of the Lady A   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 pm

The Secrets of Lady A’s Saloon
A Fine Vintage
Challenge March 2024

Hannibal Heyes leaned back in his oversized chair near the fire in the leader’s cabin at Devil’s Hole. “And we found it in this locked chest in a hidden third floor bedroom built by Miss Angelica to hide outlaws.” He smiled at the men from the Devil’s Hole Gang gathered in the room. They enjoyed hearing his stories as much as he enjoyed spinning them. The Kid leaned, arms crossed, in the doorway of his bedroom watching with a grin.

“Come on, Heyes, tell us what happened,” Kyle said, blue eyes wide in anticipation.

“Okay, well, me and the Kid went into Lady A’s Saloon in Windy Bluff and here’s what happened:

“Heyes, we gotta go right now!”

Startled, Hannibal Heyes pulled up the pants he was just starting to drop, glad he hadn’t taken his boots off yet. He stuck his black hat on his head. Grabbing his shirt and vest in one hand and his gun in the other, he turned to the lovely brunette with the light brown eyes that he had paid the bartender to spend the next few hours with. “Sorry, darling,” he said, as he slapped a few extra dollars on the end of the bed and left closing the door softly behind him. He could hear her sad sigh in the hall.

Jedediah ‘Kid’ Curry stood in the hall on one foot pulling on a boot.

“Kid, this better be good.”

Even though he only had one boot on, Curry pulled his partner down the hall. “You ever heard of a US Marshal named Badlands Jefferson?” Curry asked, as he looked around as if deciding which was to go. Like Heyes, he was carrying his shirt, vest and gun. He only wore his jeans and that one boot.

“Heard of him. Likes the Dead part better than the Alive on our wanted posters.”

“Must have seen us come in here. One of the girls came upstairs and warned me he was askin’ the barkeep and anyone who’ll listen which rooms Curry and Heyes are in.”

Around a corner, the upstairs corridor of the saloon came to a dead end. “Where now Heyes?” Curry hurriedly put down his shirt and boot in order to fasten his gun belt around his waist and thigh.

Heyes looked out the second story window. “We could climb out the window and walk on the entrance overhang and maybe get to the roof next door.”

“No good. See those two across the street starin’ over here? Those are Jefferson's men.”

“Then…” Heyes looked around, seeing a means of escape. “Then we throw our shirts out the window to make them think we’re going that way and instead we go up.”

“Up? Where up?”

Curry watched as his partner used his knife to pry open a short door that he hadn’t even noticed. It hadn’t been opened in a long time and was painted shut. Helping Heyes with his own knife, the door opened.

“Looks like no one but mice been here for a long time. Heyes, you sure we should go this way?” Curry asked. Pounding footsteps and loud banging to “Open this door now!” could be heard at the beginning of the corridor. “Guess we aint got no other choice.”

After making a quick show of opening the window and throwing their shirts out, Curry and Heyes crawled through the short door only to find the hallway behind it was just as low and cramped. Curry did his best to close the door behind him and was surprised that now that it was loosened, it moved easily…and had a deadbolt on the inside.

Heyes lit a match and led the way. “Does it feel like we’re climbing?”

“Sure does. Any idea where this goes?”

“Heard of old houses that had forgotten rooms and hallways…” Suddenly the tunnel widened, and they were standing in the middle of a large room. “One window and no other way out.”

Curry stood on a dilapidated dresser to look out the high window. “We must be in the attic. I can see the street below real good on three sides. Those men are still staring at the saloon just waiting for us to come out. And there’s another one in the alley.”

“Then we wait.” It was an abandoned bedroom, although someone had made an effort to make it comfortable. Heyes lit the lamp on the bedside table that still had oil.

Sitting in an overstuffed chair, Curry made himself comfortable. “What are you up to now?”

“Look what I found. A locked chest…looks like an antique. I have never been able to resist an unopened lock.”

Curry smiled and explored the rest of the room while Heyes happily concentrated on the chest. There was no closet, just old dresses hanging on a bar. He thought of the saloon girls that must have looked mighty pretty wearing them. And in the back of the closet, he found a full-sized door. It too, had a deadbolt on their side but this one was not thrown until Curry worked the rusty bar free and locked the door.

“Heyes, guess what I found?”

“Can’t be as good as what I found in this trunk.” He held up an old bottle of wine. “It’s over twenty five years old.” The outlaws smiled. As long as they had to stay here and wait for Badlands Jefferson to leave, at least they had something to good to drink.

ASJ*****ASJ

It wasn’t until the next morning that the heavy footfalls and banging on doors below them stopped. Badlands Jefferson was not one to give up. He kept yelling that he had seen them go into the saloon and knew they were hiding somewhere. He found the opened window. The shirts they had thrown out had blown to the roof of the next building…a one story, one room post office. In the end, Jefferson had to admit defeat. Still, before he and his men left town, he tied his horse in front and kept circling the saloon shaking his head.

Curry watched from the high window until he was sure they had ridden away and weren’t coming back. Cautiously, the two outlaws left through the door in the closet. They were indeed on the third floor and found a ladder that took them all the way to the ground floor, skipping the second floor altogether. When they stepped off the ladder, they found themselves behind the bar with the bartender staring at them, arms folded in front of them but a smile on his face.

“You must be the Curry and Heyes that marshal was looking for last night. Seems like you found Miss Angelica’s room.”

“Miss Angelica’s room?”

“Lady A’s Saloon – Miss Angelica. She founded this place and had that room you found built to hide outlaws and other fugitives.”

“Well, it did its job,” Curry said, looking over the bar, scanning the room for threats.

Heyes plopped the empty wine bottle on the bar. “It even came with a vintage wine to drink!”

Astonished, the barkeep exclaimed, “You opened that chest? The key has been missing since she died over twenty years ago.” He chuckled. “And she’d be smiling that two fugitives hid in that room and did indeed enjoy a vintage bottle of wine. “

Penski, Gemhenry, rachel741, KimL55 and Kathy like this post

Back to top Go down
Kid's Sister

PostSubject: A Fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2024 1:17 pm

A Fine Vintage

The sun rose over the town of Goodland in the State of Kansas Hannibal Heyes woke next to his wife Angel. He sat up and brushed his fringe out his face, looked at the clock, stretched, then he got out of bed. Angel started to stir as he got up, she opened her eyes to see him on the way to the bathroom.

She spoke to him as he closed the door,

“Morning darling”.

“Oh, mornin’ sweetheart you ok?”

“Yes I’m fine I’ll go and see if Masie’s made coffee yet shall I?”

“That seems a very good idea”.

“Thought it might be” she said as she threw back the covers and got up, she put on her dressing gown and slippers, left Heyes to his morning ablutions.

She went downstairs to find Masie heading for the living room with a broom.

“Morning Masie cleaning already?”

“Mornin’ to ya ma’am and no I ain’t cleanin’ I’m exterminatin’ for we have a mouse ma’am”.

“Now where you gone you lil’ critter” said Masie to the mouse.

“Oh, ok Masie but before you do battle Heyes would like to know if you made coffee?”

“Yeah, it’s already for him”.

“Alright I’ll pour it”.
Angel was just pouring Heyes’s coffee when Hannibal Jr arrived  

“Mornin’ Mamma”

“Morning Jr where have you been so early this morning?”

“Takin’ little Joe to school” he said proudly.

“Oh, I see”.

He suddenly noticed his mother was pouring coffee,

“Oh, thanks mamma” he said as he went to take the cup

“Oh, no young man this is your father’s”.

“Thank you Angel, morning Jr” said Heyes as he entered the kitchen.

“What’s Masie doin’” asked Heyes as he took the cup of coffee from his wife of thirty-five years.

“She trying to catch a mouse we seem have acquired from somewhere” said Angel as she saw to the pot of tea for herself. Heyes went to find her to tell her he’d like his breakfast, before his lunch when there was an almighty bang and sound of breaking glass from inside the living room.

Heyes and Jr along with Angel when hurrying along to the living room they went on to find Masie on the floor with the drinks cabinet on its side, and shards of glass everywhere.

“Masie what happened?”

“Oh, Mr Hannibal look what I done I’ve broken everything, including your mamma’s crystal glasses”.

“Oh, never mind you’re more important now what happened,”

“Well, that lil’ mouse he ran up there on top of cabinet so I got the foot stool and stood on it to get him with my broom but before I could he ran I overbalanced, the broom got stuck on the top of the cabinet and

I fell, bringin’ the broom with me as well as the cabinet.”

Angel went down to her,

“Oh, Masie are you hurt? Let’s look at you”.
Heyes turned to Jr,

“Jr go over the road to the sheriff’s office and get Thaddeus for the two of you are going to have to lift this cabinet back up I can’t your mother will kill me if I try.”

“Ok Pa” said Jr.

As he went to the front door his mother called after him, “And while you’re at it go and get the doc.”

“Yes mamma.”

Jr went into the Sheriff office and there was his cousin Sheriff Thaddeus Curry doing some paper work, he looked up as the door opened, and in walked Jr.

“Mornin’ Jr.”

“Mornin’ Thaddeus can you come over to the house Masie’s had an accident and knocked over the drinks cabinet and Pa wants you and I to put it back up in its rightful position”.

“Oh, ok is Masie hurt?”
“I don’t know I gotta get the Doc.”

So, Thaddeus told his deputy which happened to be his brother Benjamin that he was going out and he shouldn’t be long. So, he went out with Jr. Jr went and got the Doctor Thaddeus went and got her Husband Mike from the saloon. The four of them arrived at the house together. They went inside and into the living room.

“Masie you alright sugar”.

“Oh, Michael what you doin’ here?”

“I fetched him” said Thaddeus.

“Oh, alright I’m fine Michael”.

“I’ll be the judge of that Masie” said Dr Earnshaw.

“Yes Doctor.”

“Right, everybody out bar Mrs Heyes, and Mrs Heyes could you draw your curtains please.”

“Oh, of course” said Angel.

Well then Doc Earnshaw examined Masie and discovered that she had broken her right hip and her right arm”.

“Oh, Masie no oh you poor dear”.

“Oh, ma’am we’ve got that party next week for Lawrence’s birthday”.

“Masie it’s alright we’ll manage.”

She helped her get dressed again, then drew the curtains back. She then went out and told Heyes Masie’s injuries.

“Oh, no Angel she’s not of an age to go doing things like that.”

“and all she’s worried about is Lawrence’s party next week” said Angel.

The Doctor came out and said, Thaddeus, Jr can you carry Masie to her quarters please”.

“Sure thing.”

So, while the boys carried Masie to her quarters, the front door bell went,

“I’ll get it” said Angel.

She went to the door and opened it and there stood the young man from the telegraph office.

“Morning, Mrs Heyes telegram for ya.”

“Thank you Jake how’s your mother?”

“Aww she’s ok still suffering with her sciatica though”.

“Oh, I am sorry to hear that” said Angel as she opened the telegram it was from her father Lord Faversham. He explained he was coming to America on business and wanted to see her.”

“Jake wait there I’ve got an answer for you to take” she said as she went inside. She wrote down a message to her father. This is what it said, “Father, you always welcome here but our housekeeper has had an accident please could you bring Mary with you when you come to see us. Your loving Daughter Angel.”

She went back outside and gave Jake some money, and said if there was any left he could keep it.

“Thank you Mrs Heyes” he said as he ran off.

Angel went back inside and turned to Heyes and said,

“Right Heyes, breakfast.”

“Oh, at last”.

While Heyes and Family were having breakfast, Out at the New Beginnings ranch One Jed Curry was just thinking about coming in to get a drink and a slice of pie for breakfast was some time ago. His wife Elizabeth came to the door of the ranch house and called him,

“Jed, come on it’s time to stop for a while.”

“Alright, Lizzie just comin’”.

“Yes, I know you and just comin’.”

“Well, there’s always somethin’ that needs doin’.” He said as he dismounted his horse and went inside,  

He undid his gun belt and took it off and hung it on the hat stand by the front door. He sat down at the table and Lizzie gave him some apple pie and a cup of coffee, one of his sons came back from town just as he sat down,

“Hi Pa” said as he came in the house.

“Tyrone, did you post those things for your sister Mary,”

“Yes Pa I did and while I was in town I went to see Thaddeus but he wasn’t there Ben was, Ben said that Jr came in and ask him to help him put Uncle Hannibal’s drinks cabinet back on its feet after Masie had an accident with it,”

“What sort of an accident?” Asked his mother.

“She was trying to catch a mouse but it moved before she could hit it and she fell taking the drinks cabinet with her. I don’t know how badly hurt she is but Jr went to fetch the Dr and Thaddeus went to fetch Mike from the saloon.”

“Oh, heavens do you think we should go see how she is?”

“Yes, I think it might be best let me finish my pie and coffee and then we’ll go and see how badly hurt she is” said Jed. So that’s what happened Jed mounted his horse, this horse was new to him his horse he’d had all of those years on the run with Heyes had died last month. The horse he had now was one of Candy’s foals which eased the pain slightly but it still hurt.

Lizzie went and mounted Cornelius he now was showing his age but he still loved to have Lizzie on his back occasionally.

They rode into town and went to the livery stable to put their horses away while they visited Heyes and Angel. Jed looked in and there stood Hermes not as jet black as he used be he was more dark grey than black. But he was still Hermes. Jed went over to him and saw the sadness in his eyes,

“Yes Hermes I know old friend I miss her too but it was for the best she was in a lot of pain near the end and we couldn’t have that now could we.”

Hermes shook his head and snorted a little.

“Exactly it’s best this way maybe not for us but definitely for her” he said as he gave him a loving stroke and pat as Mr Jenkins came in to the stables.  

“Oh, howdy there Jed, Lizzie what can I do for ya?”
“Can you keep our horses while we go visit Heyes and Angel and found out how badly hurt Masie is” said Lizzie.

“Of, course I can come on Cornelius, come on Fudge.”

So, they went to see them. They walked down the street and Thaddeus came out of the Sheriff’s office and saw them,

“Morning Ma Morning Pa”.

“Morning Thaddeus” they said as they continued on their way to the Heyes residence. They went up the path to the door and knocked just as Jake came back with an answer to Angel’s telegram.

“Hello Jake you mum alright?”

“No, Mrs Curry she’s not her sciatica’s playin’ up again”

“Oh, I am sorry to hear that” said Lizzie as the door opened and there stood Heyes.  

“Mornin’ Heyes” said Jed cheerfully

“Morning Kid, Lizzie” he said.

Then he turned to young Jake

“And what do you want young man”.

“I have an answer to Mrs Heyes telegram.”

“Oh, I see, Angel there’s a telegram here for you.”
Angel came to the door.

“Lizzie, Jed come on in while I deal with Jake thank you”.

“Now Jake let’s see what my father says.”

She opened the telegram ad it read as follows,

“Dearest Angel, So sorry to hear about you Housekeeper I will bring Mary to you as soon as I can. See you soon your loving Father.”

“Well, that’s a relief”.

“What is?”

“Oh, my lady’s maid from England is coming here to take over Masie’s duties while she is injured.” Said Angel as she gave Jake a whole dollar for his trouble.

“Now you run along your Mother needs you I suspect so off you go” she said as he went running off up the path.

He stopped at the top, closed the gate and said,

“Thank you Mrs Heyes”

“You’re welcome” she said as she went inside and closed the door
She went into the living room to see Lizzie pouring tea.

“thank you Lizzie, you found it alright then.”

“She’s like a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out tea” said Jed as Angel sat down.

“Thank you dear” said Lizzie.

“Now why are you here not that it’s not nice to see you” asked Heyes.

“We heard about Masie’s accident and came to see how badly hurt she was,”

“Oh, she’s broken her right hip and her right arm. So, I have asked Father to send Mary I trust her and she’ll do things just the way Masie will tell her to do it.”

“Who’s Mary?”

“Mary used to be my lady’s maid when I was in England”.

“Oh, I see who told you about Masie” asked Heyes as he drank his tea.

“Tyrone, He was in town posting some letters for his sister Clementine seeing as she can’t go out on the account of her bad chest” said Jed as he had some of Masie’s delicious ginger cake.

It hadn’t escaped Lizzie’s notice so she said,

“Jed, My apple pie and now Masie’s ginger cake you’re going to have to have another notch put in your gunbelt if you’re not careful.”

Heyes did his best to stifle a laugh Angel smiled quietly to herself.

“Lizzie I have a lot of work to do when we get home.”

“When we get home it’ll be lunch time and you will fall asleep in your armchair as usual after lunch.”

Heyes couldn’t help himself he gave a little chuckle and said,

“Kid just put down the shovel before you dig yourself in any deeper you know she’s right so just stop diggin’”

“Maybe you’re right Heyes.”

Well two days after that Mary showed up with Lord Faversham they knocked the door of the Heyes residence and it was Heyes himself who answered the door.

“Yes, oh your Lordship Angel said you were coming please come on in”.

“Thank you Heyes my dear boy.”

They both came in and Angel came from the kitchen.

“Heyes who is it?”

“Hello Angel my dear child.”

“Father” she said as she ran to him and hugged him tightly.

Then she looked at Mary,

“Hello Mary I’ve missed you” She said as she hugged her too.

“Oh, now Ma’am I know you do things different over here but hugging servants.”

“Mary you are here to work yes but you are paid for your work and you can have days off, Masie does.”

“Masie?”

“Our housekeeper that’s why you’re here Mary Masie’s had an accident and she’s hurt herself quite badly so you have been brought here to help keep house until she back on her feet, I’ll take you up to her she’s been dictating things to Lizzie to write down so you know what to do and when to do them.”

“Up ma’am not down”.

“No Mary”.

“You can have one of the rooms upstairs as well Mary.”

“Well, if it’s all the same to you sir I’ll sleep downstairs in servants’ quarters.”

“Mary there isn’t any servants’ quarters the only thing that’s downstairs is the cellar.”

“Oh, I see well in that case I better go upstairs and see the housekeeper.”

So as Mary ascended the stairs Heyes suddenly realised that in four hours today they would received the shipment of four hundred bottles of champagne.

“Oh, heck it”.

“What’s the matter my love?” said Angel from the middle of the stairs.

“I better get over to the saloon and see what room we have in the cellar for in four hours we are going to be taking delivery of four hundred bottles of Champagne” said Heyes as he went and got his coat on, he also put on his hat and his gun just in case.

“I’d forgotten myself you could always ask Thaddeus if he’s not busy to give you a hand.”

“I think the boys and I can manage” he said as he went out of the door an over to the saloon.

Angel went upstairs with Mary and introduced her to Masie.

“I see you know what you’re doin’ girl makin’ sure Mr Hannibal and his family are well cared for.”

“Yes I know I will do as you tell me Mrs Pickford” said Mary.

“Oh, child it’s just Masie” she said smiling.

“I’ll leave you two to get acquainted” said Angel.

She went over to the saloon as the delivery arrived and the boys came out and started to unload the crates of whiskey, beer, wine and Champagne.

Heyes stood marking them off on the delivery sheet while Jr, Lawrence, Sam along with their cousins of Jerimiah and Ben Curry unloaded and took the crates into the saloon. Lord Faversham had just come out of the bank and came over to them.

“Hello you boys working hard there”.

“Yes sir” said Lawrence.

A saloon girl named Jenny passed them on her way inside.

“Hi Lawrence” she said as she passed.

Lawrence almost dropped one of the crates of champagne as she spoke to him.

“Mornin’ Jenny” he said.

“Lawrence watch what you’re doing” came the warning from his father.

“Sorry Pa.”

Heyes turned to Jenny,

“Stop distracting my boys and get on inside we open in twenty minuets”

“Yes, Heyes alright”.

Well, the rest of the delivery was put inside then Heyes paid the delivery man then he went on his way. Heyes went inside along with Angel and Lord Faversham. Mike put the bottles of whiskey behind the bar he was down to the last bottle and Heyes took that into his office.

“Boss man is that for you?”

“Yes it is.”

A week later everyone was at the Heyes residence for Lawrence’s birthday party. Now usually it as up to Heyes to make speeches at these things but with Lord Faversham there he would do it.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thirty-one years ago today Angel and Heyes brought a young boy into this world and named him Lawrence they watched him grow into a handsome young man. He has as most children do had his moments of rebellion but with his father’s guidance and his mother’s love he got over that particular hurdle now he is a wonderful son, brother and cousin to his family so Ladies and Gentleman please raise your glasses to Lawrence Heyes”.

“To Lawrence Heyes” everyone said.
Lord Faversham came over to Heyes and said,

“Hannibal my dear boy this Champagne is quite good.”

“Have a look at the bottle then you’ll understand.”

So, he did and he looked at Heyes in surprise.

“1849 well that’s a damn fine vintage of champagne.”

“Yes Father much like the man that bought it” said Angel smiling at Heyes.
Authors note: I have discovered that Heyes was born in 1849 so you can see what Angel was getting at.

Penski, Gemhenry, Kattayl and Kathy like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:32 pm

A Fine Vintage

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry dismounted and led the horses through a copse of trees until they could see their destination, a modest house with smoke coming from the chimney and a small barn.

“Think anyone is still watching her place?” Heyes asked.

Kid Curry glanced all around.

“What do you think? Safe to go to the door?”

“Would you shut up for a minute? I’m tryin’ to figure all that out.” Curry listened intently and studied all the surroundings. “If they are, I sure can’t spot ‘em.”

Heyes smiled and led his horse to the house, tying the reins to a post, with the Kid right behind him. He went up to the door and quickly knocked three times.

“Who is it?” came a response from inside.

“It’s us.”

The door flew open and Clem hugged and kissed Heyes.

“What about me?” Kid Curry asked.

She turned and gave him the same treatment. “Why didn’t you let me know you were coming?”

Heyes grinned. “We didn’t know until we found ourselves in the area. Had to stop and say hello to our favorite girl.”

“How about we continue this welcomin’ in the house away from any pryin’ eyes?” Curry took Clem by the hand and led her into her house.

Heyes shut and locked the door behind them.

“How long can you stay? Is someone following you? Do you want some coffee? I just took it off the stove so it’s still hot. I bet you’re hungry. Are you hungry?” Clem's words spilled out in a rush.

Heyes held out his hands. “Whoa! One question at a time.”

“First thing – is anyone still watchin’ your place?” the Kid asked. “We didn’t see anyone.”

Clem shook her head. “They gave up a few months ago and haven’t been back.”

“In that case, yes to something to eat and drink.” As he spoke, Curry took two cups from the shelf and poured himself and Heyes some coffee.

Clem grabbed her apron and tied it around her waist. “How about eggs and bacon? I know it’s breakfast food, but it’s something I can make quick.”

“Anything sounds good right now, darlin'.” Heyes took the proffered cup from his partner and sat down at the table.

“How long can you stay?” Clem asked as she cut a few slabs of bacon and took out some eggs.

“A few days.” Heyes looked over to his partner, who nodded.

“Perfect! It’ll be so nice spending time with you and getting caught up. Oh, and we can go to dinner at that new restaurant in Denver.”

“Sounds expensive,” the Kid commented.

“It is, but you guys have money.” Clem cracked the eggs and put them in the sizzling pan.

The partners glanced at each other again.

“Uh, Clem, we don’t have any money. Well, not much anyways,” Heyes broke the bad news.

She stopped scrambling the eggs and put her hands on her hips. “You don’t have money? What did you spend it on this time?”

“Livin’,” the Kid replied.

“What do you mean by living?”

“If you go back to making our eggs and bacon, we’ll tell you.” Heyes paused until Clementine turned and stirred the eggs and started turning the bacon. “Living - like trail food, hotels…”

“Livery fees, bullets, occasional baths and haircuts…” Curry added.

“A drink or two and a poker game or two every now and then. Living.”

Clementine turned and waved her wooden spatula around. “And don’t forget the women.”

“Well, that goes without sayin’,” Kid Curry muttered quietly.

Clem dished up the two plates of food and set them on the table. She refilled the coffee cups and sat down. “So, you two are really serious about this going straight thing?”

“Yep!” the boys mumbled with food in their mouths.

Clementine sighed. “Why?”

Heyes put down his fork. “Because of the quieter safes, larger posses, communication getting better between towns. Most outlaws don’t live long and we figured we’re at the end of our luck.” He reached across the table and took her hand in his. “Would you rather see us in prison or dead?”

“No!” Clem pouted, then sighed. “I was just looking forward to trying that new place out with my two favorite men.”

“I’ll tell you what, Clem. You loan us twenty dollars tomorrow morning and we’ll go into town and pay some poker. I’m betting we can make at least a hundred…”

“At least!” the Kid agreed.

“… playing some poker. We’ll give you back your twenty and take you out to dinner at that fancy restaurant for the loan. What do you think?”

Clementine searched the faces of both men as she pondered their words a moment. “Guaranteed you’ll make a hundred from my twenty?”

“Well, as long as Lady Luck looks down on us we will.”

“Okay, you have a deal.” Clem smiled and quickly got serious. “I want my twenty back no matter how much you win or lose.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next day, Heyes and Kid Curry made their way back to Clementine’s house late in the afternoon.

She ran out the door to meet them. “Well? How’d you do?” she called out, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “Did you make a hundred with my twenty?”

Heyes looked down, forlorn as he shook his head.

“You lost it all?” Clem cried, her expression a mixture of disbelief and disappointment. Her hands dropped to her sides as the smile left her face. “Even my twenty?” She looked over to the Kid, who shook his head, then shrugged.

“Might as well tell her, Heyes.”

“What happened to your guarantee?” Clem wailed. “I was so looking forward to getting dressed up and sharing a very special dinner with...”

Heyes pulled out a large wad of bills and grinned. “We made way more than a hundred!”

Curry pulled a twenty out of the pile, handed it to Clem and grinned. “Here’s your money back.”

Clementine clasped her hands in front of her in glee and bounced up and down. “We’re going to the Market Street Steakhouse!”

“Tomorrow night.” Heyes nodded. “We want to be clean and looking our best when we escort you there, right, Kid?”

‘That’s right, Heyes.”

Clementine put her hands on her hips. “Speaking of looking your best, you will not be wearing those suits you usually do.”

“What’s wrong with our suits?” Curry asked.

“What’s NOT wrong with them! They’re probably wrinkled, the pants are too short, and the hats just plain look silly.”

“Silly?” Heyes scowled and shook his head. “So, what suits do you want us to wear?”

Clem smiled. “I know a place where you can rent a suit for the day.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two dapper men in rented suits waited for Clementine to emerge from her room.

“We’re gonna be late for our reservations if she don’t come out soon!” Curry hissed.

“Shhh… She’s coming.” Pause. “There is a sight to behold!” Heyes stepped forward and took the arm of an elegantly dressed Clementine.

“M’lady.” The Kid opened the door and bowed. “Your carriage awaits you.”

Clem blushed as she was escorted out the door. “I feel like a princess.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The party of three sat at a table towards the back as requested by the gentlemen. White linen tablecloths and napkins, along with silverware and crystal glasses, adorned the tables.

“Look at this menu!” Clem exclaimed.

“Look at these prices!” Heyes hissed so only his partner heard.

A waiter arrived at the table. “Would you care to order a drink before dinner?”

“How about one of those fine vintage French bottles of wine.” Clementine pointed to a few high-priced bottles.

“You know, we’ve had some wonderful wines from California while visiting our friends in San Francisco. How about one of these selections from Napa?” Heyes steered her to a different column of wine.

“They were of an excellent vintage,” Kid Curry agreed.

“California wine?” Clementine pouted.

“Actually, ma’am, the gentlemen are correct in that you can have an excellent bottle of wine from California. May I make a suggestion?”

“Please,” Heyes stated.

“I would recommend the Charles Krug Cabernet Sauvignon. It will be perfect pairing with a steak dinner.”

“Oh, it sounds French.” Clementine smiled. “We’ll have a bottle of that.”

“Very well, madame. A very wise choice.” The waiter turned to fill their order.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Later that evening, the Kid poured the last of the wine into their glasses as the dessert arrived.

“Oh, I love chocolate!” Clem exclaimed when a chocolate raspberry cake was placed in front of her. She sipped her wine. “I have to say this California wine really does taste good.”

“It certainly does,” Heyes agreed.

“We’ll have to remember this next time we visit Silky or Soapy and buy them a bottle or two as a gift.” Curry took a bite of the cake. “Now this is good.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Late in the evening, the trio arrived home.

“We’ll come out and take care of the horses once we change,” Heyes said as he helped Clem from the buggy.

“That was a perfect evening – thank you!” Clementine gave Heyes and Kid Curry a kiss and hug before yawning. “I guess I’m tired. When are you planning to leave?”

“Tomorrow,” Heyes informed her.

“After breakfast,” the Kid added.

Gemhenry, rachel741, Kattayl and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 2024 - A fine Vintage   March 2024 - A fine Vintage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March 2024 - A fine Vintage
Page 1 of 1