Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feb 2024 - The Staircase

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Empty
PostSubject: Feb 2024 - The Staircase    Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2024 12:12 am

Hello folks
Late again but here I am ...

I have been dropping heavy hints to my Ginger Lovely about what I would like for my Birthday - to go in my beloved garden...

Bereft of other ideas, your challenge for February is...

The Staircase .... (Even better if you choose The SPIRAL Staircase ...)

Thinking caps on, and - type

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kid's Sister

PostSubject: The Staircase   Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2024 8:43 am

The Staircase

It was a lovely sunny winter’s morning in Devil’s Hole and one Kid Curry was up and about getting things ready for breakfast once Heyes had got out of bed, Soldier came in from wherever he’d been and came up to Kid, he barked,

“Oh, Mornin’ Soldier how are you today?” he said as he gave him a love.”

All of a sudden there was movement in Heyes’s room Kid went to the door and said,

“Heyes you awake in there? Want some coffee?”

“Yes to both questions” said Heyes from behind the door.

“Ok,” said Kid as he and Soldier went and got Heyes some coffee, Heyes came out of his room in his dressing gown and went and sat in his rocking chair by the fire it was a cold morning. Kid brought him his coffee, he took it, thanked Kid and then he drank some while Soldier played with his squeaky bone.

“Soldier do have to” said Heyes in a loving way. Kid came into the front room and said,

“Soldier breakfast come on.”

Soldier stopped mid-squeak, dropped the bone, and went out into the kitchen.

“Thanks Kid it was becoming a bit monotonous” said Heyes as he drank his coffee. It was while he was drinking his coffee Kyle Murtry came to see him.

“Mornin’ Heyes how are ya this mornin’”

“Fine Kyle but I wish you’d knock”

“What for?”

“Because Kid and I like our privacy and it’s good manners.”

“Oh, I’m sorry anyways why I’m here is that I am the messenger for the rest of the gang of when are we going on our next job”

“I don’t know I haven’t decided so you’ll just all have to be patient.”

“Oh alright.”

Kid came in as Kyle was leaving, he said,

“Kyle remember Candy’s only just had her foal let her be with him for a few days please.”

“Ok Kid I’d forgot that” then he left and went back to the boys

He told them what Heyes and Kid had said,

“Hey, you know Kid’s right it’s best we leave Candy with her foal for a few days before we go tearing them apart” said Lobo.

The rest of the boys agreed so they would have to be patient like Heyes suggested.

That afternoon Heyes was reading the paper when his eye caught something in the bottom left-hand corner of the page he was reading, he gave it his full attention, it said,

Bullion to be moved from bank in Jefferson City Missouri to Cheyenne in Wyoming before going on to Colorado to the Denver mint. Mr William McKenna president of Jefferson city bank said “they would have gone through Kansas but owing to the heavy rain last month which caused a land slide it was deemed safer to go through to Wyoming.

The bullion is the biggest we’ve moved so far over a quarter of a million dollars in gold that is why there will be extra security on the train from here to Wyoming for we know this will be a temptation to a certain number of people. However, I want to reassure everyone involved this bullion will get to its destination in one piece.”

Heyes almost was almost crestfallen but then he read between the lines extra security from here to Wyoming so did that mean there would only be the usual amount for the ninety-seven-mile trip to Denver. So Heyes decided to ask Lobo to go into Cheyenne to the rail yard and ask around discreetly mind but if he knew what was exactly going on he could make a definite decision.

So, Lobo was dispatched to the rail yard to find out what was going on while the others waited at home, Kid stood out on the porch and he saw Soldier running off somewhere, he called Heyes,

“Heyes, Come here a minute.”

“What is it Kid?” He said as he came out

“Look he came from that way this morning, so I wonder what’s so all fired interestin’ up that way for a Border Collie”.

“Kid, Clearwater’s that way maybe some little kid is playin’ with him, or even feedin’ him”

“Clearwater but it’s abandoned Heyes has been for months” said Kid, Heyes replied,

“Kid, little children like to use it as a playground”.

“Oh, I see even though it could be dangerous” he said as he went in to get some lunch for them.

Soldier entered Clearwater and went to the saloon he went to the up the staircase to one of the rooms and there on the bed was another border collie this one was a female he had brought her some food. He knew he shouldn’t have stolen it from the cupboard, but she needed to keep her strength up. He lay down beside her and kept her company for a while. He licked her and she licked him back then he left her and went back to Devil’s Hole.

Kid was waiting for him when he got back,

“Here you are now Soldier Heyes wants a word with you?”

“Soldier, now I know for a fact I put in the cupboard a full packet of sweet biscuits and there not there now, I haven’t eaten them, and Kid hasn’t eaten them so that only leaves one person you, cause the boys didn’t know they were here, well what have you got to say for yourself young man.”

Soldier put his tail between his legs and put his head down and went to his basket, Heyes and Kid stood there looking at him.

“Oh, Soldier what you do that for? You only had to ask” said Kid.

“Kid I’m gonna have to punish him cause he is part of the gang after all.”
“I know Heyes but don’t be too hard on him.”

“Soldier, there will be no sleeping with Kid for two weeks and also when we go out on a raid you will have your leash on at all times.”

Soldier barked in response Heyes raised his eyebrows

“Don’t you argue with me young man.”

He whimpered and laid down,

“Right now, sounds to me like Lobo’s back.”

Heyes went and open the door and called him in Lobo came in and sat down and told Heyes what he’d found out.

“Heyes, I’ve found out that the train will be arriving in Cheyenne, and it will sit there over night with the US Cavalry guarding it. Then in the morning the soldier boys will depart for the fort, and it will be guarded by the usual four deputies. Two on the inside two on the outside.”

“Alright thank you Lobo the boys they’ll have my decision tonight whether we’re going to rob this train or not.”

“Ok, Heyes.”

Lobo left and Heyes went and sat at his desk and took out a piece of paper, and started to see if the plan he had been formulating would work without getting anyone hurt.

Kid was cleaning his gun and waiting for Heyes’s decision Soldier went to the pantry and there was some of the cold ham left Kid looked up from his cleaning,

“What do you think you’re playing at young man?”

He barked and sat up and begged.

“Oh, you want some of the cold ham do ya?”

“Kid, don’t you dare.”

“He’s asked nicely Heyes.”

“Oh, alright just a little bit” said Heyes as he continued to work on his plan Kid cut some off and gave it to Soldier He took it and ran off with it.

“Now’s where’s he going with that?”

“Who cares he’s not stealing anything else from the cupboard.”

Heyes came in to the kitchen and showed Kid his plan.

“What d’ya think?”

“Heyes I think you need to sit down; I also think you’ve out done yourself.”

So Heyes went over and told the boys they were going to rob the train, Soldier took the meat to his girl she took it from him and ate half and then gave him the other half which he ate then he lay down beside her and they both fell asleep. Kid called him and he didn’t come.

“Heyes where is he?”

“Oh, Kid don’t worry he’s a smart dog he’ll come back when he’s ready.”

“Oh, ok Heyes.”

Soldier woke early hours of the morning and got up of the bed his mate looked at him cocked her head on one side, he barked and then ran out of the door and down the staircase and out of the saloon he went back to Devil’s Hole. He came up to the door of the cabin just as Kid opened it to see how cold it was outside.

“Oh, here you are where did you spend the night?”

Soldier barked, and then went in and sat in his basket.

“Did you now,” said Kid as he shut the door.

Heyes came out of his room and saw Soldier was sat in his basket,

“Oh, he’s back I thought I heard that familiar woof” said Heyes as he sat in his rocking chair. Kid went and made coffee and brought some to him when it as ready.
“Heyes it’s cold out there very cold.”

“Oh, thanks Kid”.

The boys had breakfast and then got ready to go on their job Soldier was reluctant to leave for he knew his mate would need him soon.

“Come on Soldier let’s go” said Kid as he clipped his leash to his collar Soldier looked towards Clearwater and then looked at Kid, his heart was torn he wanted to go on this job, but he wanted to stay with his mate. In the end Kid picked him up and put him on his saddle and then he mounted Candy.

“I don’t know what’s the matter with Soldier he really didn’t seem to wanna come Heyes.”

“I gotta hunch I think Soldier’s got a girlfriend and she lives in Clearwater is that it Soldier,”

Soldier barked,

“Oh, Soldier you got yourself a girl well, ain’t that nice” said Kid as they came up to the place the locals call Summit for it is after all at the top of a hill.

They started to make their preparations for the train to arrive with all that lovely gold. They waited behind some bushes and then it happened, the train arrived they could see the black smoke as it pulled up the hill. Then as it reached the top it stopped with a screech of brakes.

The boys came from their hiding place, and Heyes and Kid with Soldier went over to the baggage car, Heyes did his usual stand and deliver he heard the men inside moving about the men on top of the car were being covered by Wheat and Kyle.

The voice came from inside,

“Whoever ya are we will not open this here door for no one but the director of the Denver Mint.”

“Oh, well I am Hannibal Heyes,”

“I’m Kid Curry with Soldier Curry my dog.”

There was silence and then the door opened slightly just enough to put a rifle through, and aimed at Heyes, Soldier barked, and Kid looked and shouted,

“Heyes look out!!” Heyes looked and then ducked as the rifle was fired.

“There was no need for that!” Heyes said crossly then he turned to the boys.

“Right boys blow open the doors” Kyle came forward with the dynamite and put it on the handle of the door and then Heyes yelled,

“If you boys inside want to move away from the doors so you don’t get hurt.”

There was a scuffling inside and then there was the explosion as the dynamite went off the wood splinted and the door hung awkwardly on its hinges the dazed men inside came to the front to be met by rifles, shotguns, and a Colt 45 Peacemaker in the hand of Kid Curry, Heyes was holding a snarling, growling Soldier,

“Now, boys if you’d just like to climb down my boys can get to work” said Heyes as he struggled to keep hold of Soldier.

“Kid, would you mind,”

“Soldier, that’s enough” came the command and Soldier stopped pulling on his leash.

“Thanks,” said Heyes as he relaxed a little. He then told Kyle to relive the gentlemen of their firearms. He then got in to the boxcar and looked at the safe.

“Kyle I’ll need the dynamite.”

“Ok, Heyes, comin’ up” he said as he gave it to him Heyes put it on the dial and then lit the fuse. Then everyone dived for cover. The dynamite went off and then when the dust had settled the Devil’s Hole gang ran to the safe and saw inside, to them it was a beautiful sight a quarter of a million dollars in gold bars.

So Heyes and the boys got the gold out of the safe and on to the horses then Heyes left the guards guns in the box car and then they all left the posse had left Cheyanne and was on the way to Summit it was about a half an hour since the gang had left when the posse turned up they saw the gold missing and one of the Guards told who done it.

Sheriff Guthrie was furious that Heyes had done it again he vowed to get him this time, with two pack mules with all that gold he and the boys wouldn’t be making much progress. So, he and his posse went out after them.

They were about a mile from Devil’s Hole when Heyes turned round to see Guthrie and his posse.

“Boys get that gold to Devil’s Hole Kid, and I will head them off,”

“Ok, Heyes be careful now.”

So Heyes and Kid put their horses in to a full gallop and thankfully the posse followed them. The boys went on to Devil’s Hole. In Clearwater Soldier’s mate was wondering where he was, she could hear people outside and she was scared, but they didn’t seem to hang around long.

So, she allowed herself to get up from the bed where she was laying and looked through the window. She could see two figures coming towards the town. She could see they were being pursued by some other humans she got back on the bed and waited quietly, the figures that were Heyes and Kid along with Soldier, came riding in to Clearwater they went into the stables and dismounted they were far enough ahead for the posse not to see where they went.

They hid in the shadows of the stables as Guthrie and his posse came riding into Clearwater they stopped and dismounted they looked around for a minute and then decided to keep going. Once they had ridden out and it was all quite Heyes, Kid, And Soldier came out from their hiding place.

Soldier made a run for the saloon Kid still had him on his leash, so Soldier didn’t get very far. Heyes looked at Soldier’s desperation.

“Kid let him off.”

So, Kid did as he was told, and Soldier went running into the saloon he ran up the Staircase and into the bedroom and his mate was missing. He started to bark and went downstairs he looked for her in the saloon she barked back, and he found her under the staircase and found that she wasn’t alone. He ran out and jumped up at Kid and Heyes, barked and chased his tail he was so happy.

“What has got him” said Heyes.

“Heyes I think my dog’s lost his mind” said Kid as he tried to catch hold of Soldier, but Soldier was too quick for him. He ran back into the saloon. He got up close to her and licked her. The boys had followed him in there.

“Soldier where are you, you daft animal” called Kid as he and Heyes searched for him, they went up the staircase and looked in the bedrooms and found the one where Soldier’s mate had been they saw blood on the eiderdown, and they looked at each other.

Heyes found the biscuit wrapper and other things that had gone missing from the pantry. But it was the blood that bothered him, so he and Kid went to look for Soldier. Heyes stopped at the bar and poured himself a whiskey it was while he was drinking he spotted some motion under the staircase.

“Come here under the staircase there’s movement.”

“Are you sure?”
“Yes,”

So, they went gently, cautiously towards the staircase Soldier appeared and almost frit Heyes and Kid to death,

“Soldier I’m not gettin’ any younger you know shocks like that isn’t good for me” said Heyes.

“Oh, Soldier you’re goin’ the right way to get your head blowed off” said Kid.

Soldier barked and licked both of them lovingly. Then Soldier turned and picked something up and then turned back to the boys and showed them with pride a black and white puppy.

“Oh, Soldier is this why you have been comin’ here is it boy” said Heyes kindly.

“Soldier’s a daddy” said Kid. Soldier moved to reveal his mate with seven more puppies.

“Oh, Soldier you have been a busy boy” said Heyes as he went and got him and Kid a whiskey each.

“To Soldier and his family may they be very happy together.”

“Heyes, I’ve just thought of somethin’ does that make me a grandpa.”

“I don’t know Kid possibly.”

So, then it was getting dark, so they decided to stay for the night Kid crept downstairs in the middle of the night to look at Soldier’s family again.

Heyes had forgiven him for stealing for he had a reason why.
Kid was proud of him he had been through a lot and now he had a family of his own not only him, Heyes and the boys. But a proper family of his own. Kid left them too be alone, together huddled under the Staircase.

Gemhenry likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Feb 2024 - The Staircase    Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 pm

The Staircase

Mortality. Everyone is mortal, we all know that. The question becomes how, where, and when we confront that reality. It’s not something the average person contemplates. The Kid and I, not being the average person have thought about our mortality a time or two.

Me, now if father time caught up with me in a rocking chair, a fat cigar in my mouth and a glass of good whiskey in my hand lazing away my golden years on a wide porch with Kid next to me and our families all around us, I’d count myself a lucky man. I believe in making one’s own luck.  Going for the amnesty is mostly about drawing to an inside royal flush in the game of life. I’m an odds player and royal flushes, never mind drawing one inside, are astronomical odds. It ain’t too likely

Lower odds, say a full house or a flush, have me meeting my maker in different circumstances. I wouldn’t mind having mortality creep up on me in the middle of a dimly lit bank. There I am, kneeling in front of a brand new safe that everyone proclaimed impossible to crack and I finessed the tumblers to throw open the door triumphantly. I’d go happily if the newspaper articles proclaimed Hannibal Heyes proved the impossible was possible. The genius, handsome leader died with a smile on his face and gold in his hands. Only trouble is that we don’t do those kind of things anymore.

Much lower odds, perhaps two pair, has fate cutting the thread when I’m still broke, and running. Being buried under the name Joshua Smith even at fifty is more likely. I’ll remind you that I’m a helleva poker player. I know how to manipulate the odds in my favor.

Kid Curry, now he’s not an odds player. He plays according to intuition and his gut. His mortality is an omnipresent companion. When you’ve got the reputation as the Fastest Gun in the West, you’re constantly reminded that your time on earth may be short.

Despite the specter of death hovering behind his shoulder the Kid is at heart a happy soul. He has a big smile, a friendly demeanor, and finds joy in little things. Kid eats like every meal may be his last. He has a ready laugh. And those baby blue eyes, sandy blond curls and youthful good looks leave him with prime pickings among women. I’m not talking about only woman in our social strata. Even respectable women find him attractive. Just ask a random sampling of females traveling in trains that the Devil’s Hole Gang robbed, old and young alike. The women weren’t intimidated or afraid of him. They might be fearful if one of the gang came near but let Kid reach up to help a girl off the train and they’d swoon in his arms, fluttering their eyelashes. The rest of us would be getting down to business and there would be the Kid acting the role of a gallant highwayman. Not that he wasn’t doing his job, he was only with an extra flair and it wasn’t an act. That’s the way he is.

The Kid is convinced the grim reaper is gonna suddenly reach out and yank his sorry soul down to the netherland. Sometimes, I worry he’s right. Every time I watch him stand in the middle of a dusty street in a no name town in the middle of nowhere or stand on a beer soaked floor in a smokey saloon and face a man with a gun and a grudge my gut clenches. Then there’s running from a posse or a bounty hunter when with every retort of a rifle or the whistle of a bullet has me wondering if Beelzebub hit the target on Kid Curry’s back.

So, the notion of mortality is something we live with and half-expect to meet face down in the dirt or a sticky wooden floor, not on a staircase, laughing with a girl in each arm.

Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Heyes_10

Me and the Kid cleaned up in our hotel room before coming downstairs to start our evening’s activities. We ate a steak dinner in the hotel dining room. The steak was tasty. The Kid had pie for dessert, no surprise there.

We spend a lot of time in saloons; have ever since we ran away from the home. That night was no different. The Longhorn Stampede Saloon was packed, and we muscled our way to the bar. Kid kept an eye on the room while I scoped out the gaming tables as we drank our beer. Picking the preferred poker table and waiting for an open seat took some time. Finally, two chairs in the back corner table became available. Kid slid into the seat so his back was along the corner wall where he had a good view of the door and the entire room. The table was also only a few steps away from the hall leading to the back outdoor privy. Escape routes are important to identify. He keeps an eye on the crowd for anyone we might know and not want to meet as well as those who may be looking our way with a hint of recognition. It was a round table for six and there was a fella between us. I could see most of the room but to tell the truth my attention is mostly on the players and the cards when the Kid is around.

We both did well. I did better. The cards were with me that night. My fellow players were easy to read. The players took their losses well even the ones that bowed out early. I find cards relaxing and I’m perfectly happy playing until sunrise. I’m a gambler by nature and games of chance satisfy the appetite for thrills, mental stimulation, and the satisfaction of coming out on top. The Kid’s a risk taker, too. He comes at things from an adventurous angle rather than gambling, though.  My partner has appetites of a more primal nature that he attaches some importance to. His belly was full so no problems there. However, it had been a while since his desire for female companionship had been fulfilled.

It started at the bar. There was an exotic appearing girl that kept brushing by the Kid every time she took her serving tray to get filled. Dark almond shaped eyes batted long eyelashes at baby blues. She had long straight midnight black hair that was pulled back and cascaded down her back, unusual for a saloon girl. They normally wear their hair piled on top of their heads with feathers and ribbons stuck in. Her complexion was hard to describe. It was like a light golden olive. The purple satin dress was clean, modest for the job, and showed a slender shape. And she was tall, taller than the average woman. My guess was Wanda, I don’t for one minute think that was her real name, was of mixed race. She probably had some oriental, most likely Chinese, in her.  She was stunningly beautiful. Every man there had to have looked at her with longing at some point in the night, even me. There are some good looking women that are forced into the soiled dove life by circumstance, but they generally elevate themselves by working in the high class cat houses with wealthier clientele. Wanda was wasted in the Longhorn Stampede Saloon.

The Kid and Wanda flirted for most of the night. She ran her fingers through his curls as she delivered our drinks and laid a hand on his shoulder as she watched him play a hand now and then. Kid, for his part was polite, courtly, and his comments and gestures started to have more playful innuendo with her. As the night grew longer the game of poker was less alluring than the game of love for a night. Wanda played right along. If I’m a good judge of people and I am, Wanda was intrigued by my partner just as much as he was with her. Kid Curry enjoys the chase even if they both knew that if he had the money and she was available then the rest of the night was a foregone conclusion. It wasn’t a forgone conclusion to those who also had money in their pockets and desire in their eyes.

The Kid raked in a winning pot. He methodically surveyed the interior of the saloon as he stacked his chips. Our eyes met as his swept around the table and the clear blue irises and dilated black pupils told me that no threat was detected. It also told me that my partner had finished with cards and was ready to relax his way.

“Thank you, Gentlemen. I’m gonna cash in my chips now. It’s been a pleasure.” The Kid pushed back his chair and kept a hand on the back. “Joshua, sit here. It’s crowed and it’ll be easier for someone else to take your seat, save them from having to squeeze around.”

I knew he couldn’t care less if a new player had to contort himself to get into that corner seat. What he did care about was that I would be able to see the entire interior now that he would be otherwise occupied. I dutifully moved positions. He bent down close to my left ear. “I’m not in any hurry. I plan on taking my time. Watch yourself. I’ll check on you when I get done and if it’s real late and you’re not here I’ll see you at the hotel.”

I tilted my head up to see him. The Kid might have been talking to me but his eyes were tracking Wanda. “I’ll be here.” I answered with certainty. It was my deal and shuffling the cards by rote I watched the chase’s finish. I’ve read my best friend being described in the dime novels as a cougar stalking his prey. In flights of literary fantasy writers seem to like to portray him as some sort of graceful big cat. That night was one of those times when I could see how the description fit. Kid Curry definitely has a gunfighter’s strut. The combination of having a successful night at cards with money in his pocket, his natural athletic way of moving, and confidence in his own skin lent an aura around him as a tame predator, but a predator just the same. The crowd effortlessly cleared a path for the Kid as he closed in on Wanda. I could see her giggle when the Kid whispered in her ear and put an arm around her waist. The beauty laid the serving tray on the bar, gave a nod to the bartender, and led my partner by the hand to the staircase along the back of the saloon directly opposite of the table where I was playing poker. The black and blond heads disappeared up the stairs, smiles on both faces.

My ears pricked up when grumblings about Wanda’s disappearance with one of the bigger winners of the night drifted above the general hum of the saloon’s noise. I started to pay more attention to my surroundings. Julie, our new waitress, was a friendly talkative brunette. She was also the gossipy sort. Apparently, the girls are not obligated to go upstairs with customers as part of their employment. It is solely their discretion, and they get to keep the money less a flat fee for the use of the room.  Wanda has the reputation for being very picky and mostly serving drinks and nothing else.

Saturday night was starting to turn into dawn. The crowd in the saloon hadn’t thinned much. My poker game played on only instead of whiskey and beer coffee was being served up by tired girls and a harried bartender.

At a close by table a game still going strong. The players were mostly well-heeled ranchers. The type of men that you would guess would be home in bed, getting some sleep before they had to take their families to Sunday mass. That was odd in itself but every time I looked over at that table I noticed a man had one eye on the staircase and one eye on his cards. The stack of chips sitting in front of him placed him as a middling player, probably up a little but nothing to give reason for him to be still there. He wasn’t cleaning everyone out and he wasn’t desperate for that one big hand to win everything back. Why was he still there? I could guess.

A loud easy genuine laugh had me giving a silent sigh. I started to breathe a little easier and I could feel some of the night’s tension lesson in my shoulders. The Kid was standing at the top of the stairs talking with Wanda. The girl didn’t have her working clothes on but had changed into a day dress. Wanda linked her arm through Kid’s and they started down the stairs.

There was a low disgruntled growl before a fiftyish rancher suddenly stood up from the poker table next to mine. His florid face telegraphed anger and outrage and his manner was of a man used to getting his way. “Hey baby face! What do you think you’re doing?” He belligerently yelled.

The room suddenly quieted as the drama unfolded.

Now, The Kid and me have had to contend with entitled men for a lot of years. Going for our amnesty we let a lot more slide than we used to. It’s still hard, though to back off or bow and scrape. The Kid’s not good at it.

“Me? You’re talking to me?” The Kid answered with an exaggerated look around and false innocent expression plastered on his face. His eyes were anything but innocent. I saw them swirl from a bright sunny blue into an icy gray even from where I was sitting. My cards hit the table and my right hand dropped down to my thigh. I listened with growing unease.

“Yeah, you. Who do you think you are?”

I doubted the rancher would be so confident if he knew who he was really shouting at.

“I know who I am. I’m a man who’s taking a walk with a beautiful, smart, and interesting lady to watch the sunrise by the river. Then we’re going to have a nice breakfast, maybe go for a ride and a picnic later.”

“No, you’re not. Wanda’s my gal?”

“I don’t see a ring on her finger. If Wanda was my girl, I’d count myself lucky. You can be darn sure I’d do something about it and not have her work in the Longhorn Stampede Saloon.”

The jaws dropped on the players and one let his cards flutter to the table in shock. Julie appeared at my back. She leaned in to whisper in my ear that that the jealous rancher was a widow and a steady customer of Wanda’s. He was too concerned about appearances to do anything official with a saloon girl never mind someone who wasn’t lily white.

I inwardly groaned. I’d bet a gold eagle that Kid knew the situation and decided to do something about it.

“Walt…” Wanda started to soothe but I also noticed she didn’t step away from my partner.

The rancher flicked his jacket behind his holster. “Step away Wanda.”

“You have no claim on me. It’s nice to be with Thaddeus who isn’t ashamed of being seen with me in town even it’s only for one day.”

There was a collective gasp. I think I might have joined in.

A buxom blonde was on the stairs. Her heel slipped off the stair, trying to maneuver around the arm linked couple to get out of the way and she started to fall. My friend caught her with his free arm, wobbling as he steadied her against him.

Kid Curry balanced on the stair with a girl in each arm, his eyes fixed on Walt. He went to extricate himself from the women, but they clung tighter.
I drew my own gun the same time as the rancher. For a split second I would swear I saw the grim reaper reached out with a giant scythe behind my partner.

Two simultaneous shots. I don’t even remember pulling the trigger. I do remember watching my best friend slide down the stairs, head first, arms enveloping both women. My heart was in my mouth. It figures that it wasn’t the Fasted Gun in the West but his penchant for the fairer sex that had him lying on a sticky floor at the bottom of a staircase. Not now, now how, and not in the Longhorn Stampede Saloon.

I holstered my Schofield when the sheriff burst through the batwing doors. I no longer paid attention to Walt who was pale and holding a handkerchief against his bleeding forearm, surrounded by his poker buddies. I dreaded it but I needed to see to my partner.

As my leaden feet crept closer, I noticed shaking and no visible blood. It must be the shock of what happened that had the girls still lying on my partner. Only they weren’t quivering in fear but giggling. GIGGLING!?

Clear blue eyes stared up at me. “If I gotta go, there are worse ways,” the Kid directed at me with a knowing smile. I pulled the girls off him, who still fussing how brave he was and how he made sure they weren’t hurt in the fall as he threw himself down the stairs. The Kid found his feet, dusted himself off and in a quiet undertone said, “Not a scratch on me….” His eyes strayed to the tin star wearing man standing between the two poker tables. “…nice shootin’, thanks.”

A date with mortality was once again averted. Unfortunately, a date with the sheriff, explanations, and a polite but assertive invitation to move on was not.

Penski and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Feb 2024 - The Staircase    Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 3:10 pm

Staircase

Hannibal Heyes, the leader of the infamous Devil’s Hole Gang, chewed on his cigar as he raked in another pile of chips from the center of the table. He glanced out the Longhorn Buck saloon’s window as he shuffled the card and froze. A second later, he threw down the cards. “Today’s your lucky day, fellas. Split my chips between all of you.”

Heyes jumped up out of his seat. “Lobo, Hank, and Doc, back doors and alleys – go to the livery and get the horses ready. Now! Templeton just rode in.” He looked around the room. “Are the rest upstairs?"

“You got four of ‘em upstairs,” the bartender replied.

Heyes nodded to the man and threw down a hundred on the counter. “Worth it to me if you stall the marshal, Joe.”

“You got it.” Joe quickly pocketed the money. “Drinks around the room if you act like no one left. You hear?”

Heyes ran up the stairs, taking two at a time. On the landing, he loudly hissed. “Time to go – NOW!”

Hattie opened the door as she pulled her robe closed. Inside the room on the bed was his partner, Kid Curry, pulling up his pants and putting on his boots. “Who?” he asked.

“Marshal Templeton just rode into town. I have Lobo, Hank, and Doc going to the livery to get the horses ready. Told them to keep outta sight.”

“What’s he doin’ here?” The Kid stomped on his boots and grabbed his henley.

“Wish I knew.” Heyes removed his hat and ran his fingers through his hair.

Another door opened and Wheat came out putting on his shirt. “I heard.” He knocked on the door next to him. “Kyle!”

“Comin’,” came a voice from inside. “Just puttin’ on my boots.”

Kid Curry exited the room and gave his gal a big hug. “See you next time, Hattie.” He gave her an extra gold eagle and a kiss.

“Bye, Kid. Here's one for luck!” She blew him another kiss as they parted.

“Gus!” Heyes hissed as he knocked on the last door.

“What? Dang it all. I was havin’ a real good time with Lulu.” He opened the door buckling his belt.

“Next time you can make it up with Lulu. Everyone ready? Down the back staircase and make your way to the livery. Stay in the shadows and don’t let Marshal Templeton see you,” Heyes commanded. “We’ll leave together.”

“Bye, Stella Bella.” Kyle gave his gal a quick peck on the cheek.

As the gang quickly and quietly made their way down the back stairs, Joe yelled, “Gals, throw on your dresses and get down here quick! You have some work to do detainin’ a lawman.”

“Coming.”
“Just a second.”
“Hold your horses!”
“Where’s my shoes?”

“Remember, mum’s the word, folks. You got a good pile of money over there to split, thanks to his generosity,” Joe reminded the few customers.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The gang split at the bottom of the stairs with Gus, Kyle, and Wheat going in the most direct way and Heyes and Curry taking the around about way.

Staying close to the building, the Kid ventured a quick look on the main street.

“Where is he?” Heyes whispered.

“Headin’ to the saloon. Think Joe and the girls can keep him busy for a few minutes while we leave?”

“They better!” Heyes exclaimed. He motioned with his head. “This way.”

Kid Curry nodded and followed his partner with his gun in his hand.

Wheat, Kyle, and Gus hurried into the back door of the livery.

“About time you got here. Templeton’s in town.” Hank put a bridle on a horse. “Help us get the rest of ‘em ready.”

“Yeah, we hear.” Wheat put a blanket and then a saddle on a bay. “Wonder what he’s doin’ so far away from his town?”

Kyle cinched a horse and added a saddle bag. “He sure ruined my night!”

“Mine, too,” Gus complained, as he led a finished horse close to the back door.

“Take care of this one and I’ll start the last one.” Lobo handed off the reins to Doc.

“Better hurry, boys! Heyes will wanna get outta town as soon as he gets here.” Wheat led another horse over to the back door.

A minute later, Heyes and Kid Curry hurriedly dashed through the back of the livery.

“We ready to go?” Heyes asked as he found his mount.

“Just putting on the last saddle bag,” Lobo replied.

“Mount up and let’s get going. Two at a time. Walk outta town and then pick up the pace. Meet in the tree line where the road divides to make sure everyone got out safe.” Heyes made sure everyone was ready. “Wheat and Kyle, you go first.”

“You’re next, Hank and Doc,” the Kid said. “And then Lobo and Gus.”

Once Lobo and Gus left, Heyes turned to his partner. “Ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Marshal Templeton rode into Last Chance to see if the rumors were true that the Devil’s Hole Gang hurrahed it there after a robbery. He went past the saloon and to the end of the town, checking out what establishments were open and if any loud partying was going on. He noted that there was only one hotel, two saloons on either side of town, a livery, a mercantile, a diner, and a few other businesses. Last Chance didn’t have a church, jail, or sheriff.

“Yep, this would be a perfect place for outlaws,” the lawman muttered.

The marshal went into the closest saloon and noticed a few fargo and poker games going on. The room was dark and heavy with smoke. He made his way across the room and tapped on the bar counter. “See any strangers in town?”

“Nope.” The bartender continued to wipe dirty glasses clean. “Might try the other saloon with the gals.”

The lawman eyed the man for a moment, then shrugged. “Thanks.”

The marshal walked his horse to the other saloon and tied him to the hitching post. He went inside the brighter lit room and watched four gals in brightly colored dresses sashaying down the staircase.

Templeton went up to the bar counter and knocked. “Seen any strangers lately?”

Two of the girls continued their walk over to him. They caressed his arms and chest. “Just you.” One winked at him. “And we have all kinds of ways to show you that you're not a stranger at all.”

The marshal blushed. “Besides me, dagnabbit! What about you, bartender?”

The man behind the counter shook his head. “Nope, haven’t seen no strangers lately.”

“Any of you men? I suppose none of you saw anybody either?” Templeton asked loudly, turning to face the customers.

“Nope.”
“Not me.”
“Strangers in Last Chance? Why’d anyone come here?”
“Sure haven’t.”

The bartender gave a quick wink to the customers and then looked down to his task of wiping glasses.

“No group of men?” he snapped, his eyes scanning the faces of the people in the room. The marshal was getting frustrated.

“A group of men sounds really intriguing,” replied Hattie as she ran her fingers through his hair. “How about joinin’ me upstairs?” she cajoled seductively, leaning in even closer so that their bodies touched.

“Or me?” simpered Lulu, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Or both of us.” Hattie winked at the marshal. “We’ll show you a real good time.”

“One that you'll never forget.” Lulu grinned.

Marshal Templeton gulped as he slowly pried caressing hands from his person. “As tempting as that sounds, ladies, I have work to do. Heard a rumor that the Devil’s Hole Gang comes here after a robbery so I'm checking up on it.”

“Oh, the Devil’s Hole Gang? I heard those two leaders are mighty cute, Lulu,” Hattie exclaimed.

“Heard some of the other boys ain’t so bad, either,” Lulu answered. “If you’re sure, Marshal?”

“I’m sure, ladies.” He turned his attention to the bartender and customers. “If you see those scoundrels around here, telegraph me at Pine Grove. You really should get you a sheriff, too.”

“We’ll look into hirin’ a sheriff just as soon as we can. Want a drink before you go? It’s on the house.”

“Sure.”

The bartender poured him a beer. “There you go.”

The marshal sipped his drink thoughtfully as he eyed each of the men in the saloon in turn and watched the ladies selling their wares.

“Thanks for the beer. It was nothing but a waste of time, me trying to find those outlaws today! I really thought my information about them being here was right,” he grumbled. “Well, there's nothing else to do; guess I'll be heading out.”

“Sometimes things just work out like that.” Joe shrugged. “Better luck next time.”

“Luck's got nothing to do with it.” Templeton pushed his way through the batwing doors. Can’t believe no one has seen any strangers in town.” Blowing out a deep sigh, standing in thoughtful silence, he slowly turned to survey the town and observed two men riding slowly out of town.

“You asked if we saw any strangers. Devil’s Hole Gang ain’t strangers,” Joe said under his breath.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Heyes and the Kid made their way to the tree line.

“Everyone here?” Heyes asked.

Wheat stepped out of the trees. “Yep, now that you and the Kid arrived. Any trouble?”

“No trouble, but we have to figure out how Templeton knew we might be at Last Chance.” Curry got down and stretched.

“Someone had to have told him.” Heyes took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair.

“Well, if we ever find out who, they’ll be in big trouble with me. I was havin’ a good time with Lulu,” Gus stated.

“Yeah, me an' Stella was too,” agreed Kyle.

“Huh, what do you know, Kyle was upstairs with a gal,” Heyes commented incredulously.

“I got needs, too, Heyes.”

The Kid chuckled under his breath and then became serious. “It’s dark, but we better get some distance between us and Templeton.” He mounted his horse again. “Let’s go!”

Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feb 2024 - The Staircase    Feb 2024 - The Staircase  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feb 2024 - The Staircase
Page 1 of 1