Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Empty
PostSubject: Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitimeFri Dec 01, 2023 4:59 am

Do you realise it has been sixteen full years since the challenge started?

You DID realise that ... oooh, you fibber!

Anyhow, if you were wondering why the not particularly Christmassy title, now you know.

So, please let your fertile minds have a good think about

Sweet Sixteen

two thumbs
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 1:26 pm

Just a little tale of the boys post Valpo, but pre outlawing days!

Hannibal Heyes woke up with a start, as he was jolted by Jed curled up behind him coughing and shivering and obviously trying to avoid doing either.  He said sharply, the lack of sleep and worry making his tone harsh. “That's the third time you've woken me, Jed....We got at least three hours before we gotta get moving, so I coulda done with the sleep.”

Jed's face, flushed with the beginning of a fever, fell and he replied apologetically, with no sign of a challenge in his voice. “ 'M sorry, Hannibal.” the words forced out in a breathless whisper, against chattering teeth.

The tone, and the look of not quite hidden hurt on his friend's face, made Hannibal feel guilty, it wasn't like his cousin had got sick on purpose. “Ain't your fault, Jed. You try get some more sleep while I figure out what we're gonna do next.”

“I wanted to get ya somethin' special for ya birthday Hannibal, but all I got was sick.”

Hannibal looked over at his friend, and realised with a small jolt of surprise that it was his sixteenth birthday in four days. Which meant it'd been exactly two years since they'd run away from the home, on learning Hannibal was going to be apprenticed out to some money lender in Missoula, the day after he turned fourteen. “Well, we're gonna have to find a town anyways, Jed the weather ain't no good for sleeping in barns.”

“But we only got enough for one night, two if we don't eat breakfast.”

“Jed, go to sleep, I can't think with you wittering at me.” Hannibal's tone was harsh again, as he knew Jed was right, because all the scheming in the world wouldn't turn two dollars twenty five into the amount they needed to stay warm, for the time Jed probably required to recover.

“'M sorry, Hannibal.”

“Stop apologising and go back to sleep!”

Jed struggled out of the blanket, and with another harsh cough, stood on slightly wobbly legs, glared and said sharply. “I ain't a baby, Hannibal.” Then with an angry glance he attempted to stride towards the barn door, though the effect was somewhat ruined by him stumbling as another cough was wrenched out of him.

After the door slammed behind him, Hannibal sighed, he hadn't meant to turn this into an argument, but he felt responsible for keeping them safe and knew he was failing, which made his temper short. With a deep breath he followed Jed out, finding him sat miserably under a tree, coughing.

Hannibal took a deep breath and sat down next to him, letting out a small huff of breath as he did so. Then gently shoving his friend's shoulder he said. “Come back inside, Jed...you're sick already, ain't no point sitting here freezing your butt off.”

Jed coughed again, then shrugged, stood and allowed Hannibal to steer him back into the slightly warmer barn.

ASJ

They only had one horse between them, which as they rode into town, with Jed suffering a raging fever half a day later, was a blessing as Hannibal could sit behind him keeping him steady without worrying about guiding another horse.

“He better not have anything catchin' son, or I'm not gonna let you stay.”

Hannibal glared at the bushy moustached man behind the signing in desk, after he'd carefully sat his friend on the worn leather couch and asked for a room. “He's been sick for three days and I ain't caught it, and he's gotta get outta the cold or there ain't no way he's gonna get better."

The anger in his voice didn't quite disguise the small crack in it, and after a moment's silence, the man glanced between them, obviously noting their worn clothing, and his face softened ever so slightly and he nodded, and said more gently. “All right, son. I got a room set away from the others, down the back corridor a ways, its kinda worn, but I rent it out cheaper than my others, lets you stay a bit longer if you're short on money." He paused and added with some concern in his voice. “Once you got him settled, you gonna need a Doc?”

Hannibal sighed thinking that yes they really did, but the money that'd be left after paying for the hotel, even with the cheaper price, wouldn't stretch to any doctoring, so he shook his head reluctantly. “We're just gonna wait it out. ”

The man frowned then shrugged as he said."That'll be fifty cents a night, son."

Hannibal handed over the money for four nights, took the key and turned away. Frowning in worry, he quickly but gently chivvied his now almost unconscious friend to his feet,  carefully slinging his arm round his shoulder, as he said. " The room out back you say?"  As the desk clerk nodded and waved down the corridor, Hannibal carefully manoevered his friend in the direction the man indicated, and they made their unsteady way towards the room.

The room the key opened was worn and shabby, the carpet and furnishings had definitely seen better days, but the bed looked comfortable and everything was clean at least and Hannibal gave a sigh of relief as he got his now pretty unresponsive cousin settled. He glanced out onto the street, and as he watched rain spatter down onto the dusty sidewalk,  let himself relax a bit. At least they were dry and relatively warm, even if all he had to eat was jerky.

ASJ

“They've killed 'em all...all of 'em, even Ginnie, cos she tried to bite 'em. Hannibal we gotta run, or they're gonna kill us too. C'mon, we gotta go.”

Hannibal woke from a light doze to the muffled cries of his cousin, as his hand pulled hard on his arm trying to tug him out of bed as he kicked out.  Biting his tongue and taking a deep breath to stay calm, as this was the sixth time tonight he said. “It's all right Jed, we're safe, we're safe.”

Feeling the heat pouring off his friend, Hannibal struggled out of bed despite his friend trying to hold onto him, and squeezed the flannel cloth into the water basin by the bed and gently bathed Jed's forehead and neck, and made sure at least some of the liquid ended up in his friend's mouth, puffing out a breath when after a few feeble efforts to push him away, his cousin fell back into a restless sleep.

ASJ

Hannibal woke with a start to full sun streaming through the thin curtain, and the sound of Jed's peaceful breathing next to him. He anxiously felt his forehead, and realised his friend's fever had finally broken, so he lay back down with a sigh of relief. His movement woke Jed who looked at him a little blearily, but his eyes were clear,  and the fever flush had left his cheeks, leaving him pale. Blinking heavily then looking round him, Jed gave a harsh cough, and winced, but it sounded dry, and with the alertness in his gaze, Hannibal was certain he was over the worst, and he watched in relief as his friend frowned in concentration, looked round the room again, then asked. “We bin here long? I don't remember getting here at all.”

Hannibal made a quick calculation, then let out a short laugh. “Yeah we bin here a few days, Jed, long enough that's its my birthday!”

Jed sighed, then gave a small smile. “Happy Birthday, Hannibal. I ain't got nothing for ya.” His face fell, then his lips turned back up into a smile and he scrambled a little clumsily out of bed, ignoring Hannibal's attempt to grab hold of him, and found his boots, digging eagerly into the left and bringing out a small handful of coins and counting them with enthusiasm.

“I'd forgotten all about it, but I've got four dollars, I was savin' it to buy you somethin'.”

He handed the money over to Hannibal with a sunny smile, and his friend took it with a small grin of his own. While hardly the sweet sixteen birthday he'd imagined when his family were living, with his friend well again, and them having enough money for a decent meal and a drink or two, it felt enough for now.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

sistergrace, Penski, Dan Ker, Kattayl, ingin6 and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Leah_Anders

PostSubject: Re: Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 2:16 pm

A little snippet into the life of two young girls talking about what they like best--young boys!

A Kansas Sweet Sixteen

“Oh, Lizzy!  Look at this beautiful gown!  Can’t you just imagine how marvelous I’d look wearing this?”  The pixie-faced brunette’s cheeks glowed pink as she twirled around, once, twice, holding the dress firmly against her bosom and tummy with both arms.  Her brown eyes twinkled in delight, anticipating being the belle of the ball with all the other girls green with envy and all the young gentlemen vying to be by her side the entire evening.  

Lizzy barely glanced up from the penny novel she was reading, sprawled on her back on the bed.  She was used to her best friend Clementine’s exuberance and typically adored her for it, but was getting a little tired of listening to her go on and on about her Sweet Sixteen party coming up at the end of the month.  “It’s fine,” she said, boredom flattening her voice.  

Clementine stopped twirling abruptly and glanced sharply at her friend. “Fine?  This gown was the most expensive thing in the shop Mother and I went to in Wichita.  I declare.”  Her eyes traveled back to the full-length mirror in front of her as she resumed her admiration for her own reflection.  

“Yes, you’ve mentioned that a few times now.  I just don’t get this whole Sweet Sixteen thing.  I mean, I love a good square dance as much as the next girl, but you’re the only girl in town that I’ve ever heard of having a Sweet Sixteen.”

“Well, that’s true.  It’s European.”

“Have you even been to Europe, Clemmy?” Lizzy asked, slyly with an impish grin on her face.  

“Well, no, of course not.  But I’ve been to Georgia and the best families in Georgia have debutante balls for their daughters.  This is the same.”  Clemmy and her parents had indeed been to Georgia.  They’d been part of one of the best families in town when they lived there.  But then her father fell into disrepute and her mother, unable to bear the shame of her husband’s troubles, had left Georgia with Clementine in tow and came west.  

“So why don’t you just say you’re having a debutante ball?”

“That’s obvious, silly!  Because I’m turning 16!  That’s why,” she smiled smugly.  

Lizzy shook her head and buried her face back in her book. Clementine stared down at her friend for a few seconds longer; then she turned away to admire her gown in the full-length mirror once more, turning this way and that to inspect herself from all angles.  

Suddenly, Lizzy closed her book and rolled over onto her stomach, crossing her long legs at the ankle and looked up at Clem.  “So who are you expecting at this party anyway?”

“Oh.  Well.  Jeanie, Lorette, Sophia, Claudia, Mary S., Mary J., Mary O.—”

“I’m not asking about what girls will be there.”

“Oh?,” Clemmy answered, feigning wide-eyed ignorance.  “Whatever could you mean then?”

“You know what I mean,” Lizzy replied, hotly.  “What gentlemen are you expecting?”

“Well, there are ever so many!  We’ve invited all the best prospects from town.”

“Are there any good prospects in town?” Lizzy laughed uproariously at her own humor.  

“Don’t be silly.  Of course, there are lots.”

“Oh, do tell!”

“Well, there are a few at least.  Maybe a couple, I don’t know.  In any case, we have to have fellas at my party so we can’t afford to be too choosy.”  She smiled radiantly, displaying deep dimples in her cheeks.  “We will make the best of it.”  

“Go on then.”

“Let’s see.  There’s Jimmy from the gunsmith shop, Franklin from the feed store, Cletus from over that at the mercantile.”  Her brow furrowed in concentration, trying to draw the rest of the names from her memory.  “That cute boy who delivers the groceries, maybe.”

“Curtis?  He’s not debutante ball material, Clemmy!  You can’t seriously be inviting him.  Anyway, he’s too old.”

“Oh really?  Just how old is too old for a party, I’d like to ask you?”

“My gosh, he’s got to be at least twenty!”

“That’s not old and he’s one of the cutest men in town.  So he’s coming.”

“Suit yourself,” Lizzy sulked.  

“Oh, I almost forgot.  I invited Hannibal Heyes.”

Lizzy looked at Clementine in surprise.  “Hannibal Heyes?  From the school?  Really?  Does he even have anything to wear to a fancy party?”

“Well, since leaving school, he and Jed are working on a ranch outside of town.  I’m pretty sure they draw a wage.  He said they’d love to come, so I’m sure they can scrape together a few dollars to get a suit.  I hope.”  She bit her lip, suddenly realizing she had no idea if Hannibal and Jed would be able to afford decent clothing for her party.  “I sure do hope so.”

“Jed!  Jed Curry?”

“Yes, why?”

“Jed Curry is barely a teenager.  He’s too young to go to a Sweet Sixteen ball.”

“He may be young but he is gorgeous, don’t you think?”  Her eyes took on a far-away look and she clutched her gown more tightly against herself.  Refocusing on her friend’s face, “Anyway, I need fellas at the party or else it’ll just be a bunch of girls standing around without anyone to dance with.  And this party has to be a success or I’ll just die, I tell you.  Just die!”

Clementine had met Hannibal Heyes and Jed Curry shortly after leaving Georgia and moving to Kansas.  It was not the happiest time of her life but her two new friends and their crazy antics made life bearable for the long few months she spent at Valparaiso School for Children while her mother was not emotionally stable enough to care for her during the months her father was ‘away’.  Thankfully, her stint at the school was short compared to the boys’ but she never forgot how much she grew to care for them both.  She was delighted when she ran into them a few weeks ago in this one-horse town and she’d been keeping company with them as much as possible without making her mother suspicious.  But to her chagrin, both boys were complete gentlemen; which was for the best because there was no way she could choose which boy she preferred and, for all her flirting, she wasn’t interested in committing to either one of them, preferring to keep both of them dangling on a short rope.  And honestly, they both also seemed quite happy with their—arrangement; neither seemingly feeling any sort of jealousy with their shared companionship.  To be truthful, Clementine had never met any two friends who seemed to care for each other at least as much as they cared for a woman such as herself.  It was a puzzlement but not one that caused her much concern.  

“Don’t worry, Clem.  Your party is going to go down in the annals of this town.  People will be talking about the first, and probably the only, Sweet Sixteen party this place has ever seen for years to come.”  

Clementine, oblivious of the sarcasm etched in Lizzy’s voice, turned back to the mirror for another long glance.  “Yes, I believe you might be right, dear Lizzy.  Indeed, you might be right.”

sistergrace, Penski, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Sweet Sixteen and Never Been Kissed   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitimeTue Dec 26, 2023 6:14 pm

December 2023 Challenge
Sweet Sixteen

A sweaty, tired pair of teenagers were finishing a sunrise to sunset workday fixing fences for the Tumbling One ranch in southwestern Colorado. This ranch hired hands only eighteen-years-old and older. Hannibal Heyes had reached that milestone age last month, a few days before they were hired. The harder job was convincing the foreman, Louis Weber, that the baby-faced fifteen-year-old Jed Curry was eighteen.

Heyes used his practiced smile. “He looks young, sir, but he’s the same age as me. A month older, in fact,” Heyes lied easily to the foreman. Finding work had been hard for them since leaving Valparaiso. They were willing to do almost anything but jobs for boys were hard to find, especially since Jed looked so young. So Heyes tried something they had used before with success.

“He still don’t look eighteen to me so I’m not hiring him,” Weber growled, looking at the skinny blond kid closer.

“Wait ‘til you see him use that gun. You’ll know he’s at least eighteen.” Heyes used an argument that had worked for them before to convince people that Jed was older. And it worked again. Foreman Weber was amazed at Jed’s speed and accuracy. So, they’d been working for him for three weeks trying not to draw attention to them. But that changed one day in town.

The teenage cousins spent their first Saturday afternoon off in the nearby town of Crawford’s Bend. Jed thought they were going to stock up on supplies like bullets and canned peaches. But Heyes had another idea that Jed was adamantly refusing.

“Heyes, I don’t want no upstairs saloon girl for my sixteenth birthday tomorrow. Heck, I ain’t never really even kissed a girl more than a peck on the cheek.”

“I seen you looking them saloon girls over…and them returning your looks,” argued Heyes.

Sighing, Jed turned away and pretended to study the candy on the counter. Without making eye contact, he mumbled, “Had the notion that my first real kiss wouldn’t be paid for.” Blushing, he added louder, “Meet you outside.”

Heyes knew his younger cousin well enough not to follow him out. Instead, he started looking around the mercantile for a different birthday gift for Jed.

Leaning against a pillar outside the store, Jed watched as their foreman pulled up in a wagon in front of the church hall. In the back were the three daughters of the ranch owner. Jed had seen them at a distance from the porch of the bunkhouse or the stables, but never closer than that. From the talk in the bunkhouse, he knew there were fifteen-year-old twins as different as day from night. Leora Jane was blond, outgoing, with dark eyes that one of the hands had described as sparkling dark orbs of mystery. Black-haired, green eyes Leana Joan was reserved, but when she smiled, she lit up a room…and a few ranch hands hearts. Deanna was two years younger and a combination of her older sisters. And it was understood that all three were off limits to the ranch hands.

Jed enjoyed studying people and now he watched Foreman Weber help each girl from the wagon. Looking around protectively, his brow wrinkled in concern. It was obvious to Jed that he didn’t see what he was searching for.

Weber knocked on the church hall door. No answer. He tried the door. Locked. The girls had wandered away. Two were admiring dresses in the milner’s windows. The foreman couldn’t see the third.

“Ladies, get back here right now…please. Stay by the wagon,” he ordered, but Jed heard an undertone of frustration in his tone Weber searched the street for the missing girl…and his eyes fell on Curry across the street.

“Jed, get over here. Need your help.”

Remembering his cousin had cautioned him about attracting any attention, he took a quick look in the mercantile for Heyes. Not seeing him, he strolled across the street in response to his boss’ orders.

“Jed, watch these two girls while I find the other one.”

Jed looked at the girls, who giggled at him and smiled at each other.

“The other twin was looking into the saloon window,” Jed said, without taking his eyes off the girls.

Without a word but with a stricken look on his face, Weber ran toward the saloon.

Standing in front of the gigglers, Jed crossed his arms over his chest. They made him nervous and knowing they were ordered to stay away from these young girls increased his nerves. He had no idea what to say to them and wished Heyes was standing next to him. He’d know what to say.

He glanced down the block and saw Weber march into the saloon.

“You’re one of the new hands, aren’t you?” the younger girl, Deanna, asked.

“Yes.” He shuffled from foot to foot but said nothing.

“We’re here for the church social but the door is locked.”

Looking at the poster next to the door, he grinned. “That’s coz it ain’t until tomorrow.” He pointed behind them.

“Oh no!”
“Father will never let us come here two days in a row!”

They were devastated, but their attention was drawn to someone behind Jed. He turned quickly to see three rough-looking drifters approaching.

“Well, lookie here, ain’t you pretty ladies all gussied up,” the man missing a front tooth and a leer on his face said.

Jed stood right in front of the girls.

“Maybe you’d like to be with real men, not that baby-faced boy with you. We’d show you a REAL good time,” the tall man with his gun tied down on his hip added.

Jed calmed his nerves and took his gunfighter’s stance. His heart beat faster but he was determined not to let these men harm the girls. “Don’t come any closer,” he attempted to growl, his voice caught but the threat still came through.

“Step aside, boy. You’re out of your league here.”

“Think it’s you that are out of your league. Leave these ladies alone.”

The men laughed. “Guess we got to show you how a real man draws a gun. Your choice, boy. Step aside or draw. And know that I don’t miss when I draw.” His companions laughed but stepped aside.

“I ain’t known for missin’ either.” Jed dried his palm on his shirt and concentrated on the man’s eyes. He’d been in this situation before, usually defending Heyes after someone accused him of cheating at poker. He didn’t notice the quiet on the street as everyone became aware of what was happening. Exiting the mercantile, Heyes took a deep breath. He stood behind a post where his cousin couldn’t see him. He knew if it had gone this far, there was no stopping it.

Down the street, Weber, with a strong grip on Leora’s arm, came out of the saloon and stopped. He was too far away to help.

“Oh, my!” exclaimed Leora.

“Quiet,” he whispered and pulled her back into the building in case bullets started flying. “Stay right here,” he told her as he left and headed toward the confrontation in the street. He walked close to the buildings to not be seen.

The gunman snarled, “Well, boy, make up your mind. I ain’t got all day.”

“I never draw first,” Jed announced, unperturbed. He knew from the man’s eyes when he finally made the decision to draw. Saw the flick as his hand started to his gun…and Jed drew his first. The other man’s gun was only halfway out of his holster.

Jed heard the collective intake of breath from everyone there but kept his gun on the men in front of him.

“Now, leave these girls alone!”

His opponent wasn’t leaving, but his two friends encouraged him to leave this and go to the saloon saying the girls there weren’t so much trouble.

Without thinking, Jed twirled his gun before he put it away…and realized that everyone on the street was coming toward him. He checked on the girls behind him and was shocked when he was wrapped in their hugs of thanks. First, Deanna gave him a kiss on the check. “My hero!”

Then Leana kissed him right on the lips. It felt nice and when she stopped, he looked her in the eyes. Seeing encouragement, he lifted her chin with a finger and proceeded to kiss her deeply.

“Jed!” Heyes touched him on the shoulder. They broke apart just as Weber approached them.

“What was that?” Weber asked.

Not sure if their foreman was talking about the gunfight or the kiss, Heyes winked at his cousin and said, “Looks like a job well done to me.”

ASJ*****ASJ

The bunkhouse was empty with all the hands enjoying the rare Saturday afternoon off. But Hannibal Heyes and Jed Curry were sitting at the table continuing the argument that had started on the way home. They had left directly after the gunfight. Heyes knew Jed needed time to process what had happened and he couldn’t do that in the crowd that had gathered. Weber had agreed that the girls could go to the cafe for a quick piece of cake.

“Jed, what part of ‘keep a low profile-don’t do anything to stand out’ don't you understand?” Heyes repeated.

“Had to obey the foreman when he called me over and sure didn’t start the gunfight but wasn’t about to let those men touch the girls.”

“Well, now people are gonna start to question if you're eighteen again and we’ll probably lose a good job,” Heyes lamented. “Not to mention you kissed the owner’s daughter.”

“Sorry, but it ain’t my fault.”

Heyes looked at his partner and smiled broadly. “But you were right about something. You didn’t need to pay for your first real kiss.”

Blushing, Jed grinned. “Sure was nice.” But then a thought crossed his mind. “Guess we might have to leave at that. I know us ranch hands ain’t allowed near those girls.”

A knock on the bunkhouse door startled them. Nobody knocks on the door, they just come in. Privacy doesn’t exist here.

Heyes opened the door and stepped back in surprise. The owner and his three daughters stood there.

“May we come in?” the owner asked.

Shocked, Heyes just opened the door wide and stepped back so they could enter.

Jed jumped to his feet. “Sir. Miss.” He nodded at the visitors.

The girls’ eyes were taking in the whole room that had always been forbidden to them, finally looking at Jed.

“Don’t think I’ve ever met you two. I’m Owen Tumbler.”

Heyes spoke for both of them. “Yes, sir, we know, sir. I’m Hannibal Heyes and this is Jed Curry.”

“I know who you are.” He looked closer at the blond. “You sure you’re eighteen?”

Jed felt his heart beat faster. He didn’t want to lie but he needed this job. “Y–yes, sir,” he said, without making eye contact.

“Oh, Papa, just ask him,” Leora said.

“Yes, dear.” Tumbler laughed as he hugged his daughter. “Jed, we would like you to join our family at Sunday dinner tomorrow. I hear you were very brave in protecting my daughters. Hannibal, you are invited, too.”

Heyes answered, “Thank you, sir. We would be honored to…”

“Sir, it’s real nice you invitin’ us to dinner, but tomorrow is the church social that your daughters were tryin’ to attend today.”

Heyes looked at him in amazement. Turning down a dinner invitation from the ranch owner just wasn’t done if you wanted to keep your job.

Tumbler looked at his daughters. “Is this true? You didn’t tell me you missed your dance.” He pretended to growl but it was obvious he was teasing.

Heyes thought the girls looked a bit embarrassed and it made them look cuter. Of course, they were too young for his advanced eighteen years.

“Oh Papa, we forgot to tell you in all the excitement. Jed was so heroic.”

“Yes, I heard from each of you and from Weber what Jed did. And Jed, thank you again for protecting my daughters.” He turned to face his daughters. “I suppose you want to go to the church social tomorrow. Do you think you can stay out of trouble?”

All three girls giggled. “Maybe you could send Jed along to protect us?” Leora coaxed her pa.

Tumbler looked at the blushing Jed, who suddenly found his shoes very interesting.

Heyes spoke up. “We’d be happy to drive your daughters into town and see that they get to the dance safely,” he said, glancing at his tongue-tied cousin. He marveled to himself that Jed calmly faced a gunfighter today and won but had trouble talking to these girls.

ASJ*****ASJ

So, after a fancy lunch on Sunday with the Tumbler family, Heyes and Jed drove the wagon with the sisters back to town. Weber seemed relieved to give up the responsibility but warned his replacements that nothing better happen to their charges. Heyes had also warned Jed there should be no more kisses.

As the partners helped the girls out of the wagon, Leora hugged Jed tight. Surprised, he held her tighter thinking she was falling. But as soon as her feet touched the ground, she stood on her tiptoes and kissed him passionately full on the lips. He kissed her back and tried to pull away when he felt her tongue in his mouth.

“Ah-hem,” Heyes said loudly, and Jed and Leora broke apart.

“Just my way of thanking you for saving my sisters,” Leora said very sweetly.

“You’re welcome, darlin’,” Jed returned, smiling.

As the girls went inside, Heyes pulled Jed aside. “What are you doing?”

“She kissed me, Heyes. But I enjoyed it…a very sweet sixteenth birthday for me.”

By the end of the evening, both Leana and Deanna had also found ways to kiss their blond escort. He enjoyed each kiss but soon left the party to wait in the wagon.

“Jed, you alright?” Heyes asked, coming outside to find his cousin. “All those kisses exhausting you?”

“No, I do like the kisses, even the ones with their tongue in my mouth. And I find all of them very pretty, but it ain’t safe for me to be around them if we want to keep these jobs. Who knows if we can find other jobs this steady again?”

Heyes nodded his agreement. “We’ll do this. Take the assignments that start early in the morning and keep us away from the ranch until after dark.”

Jed looked at his cousin. “Sounds like a good plan.”

“You know they’re not going to keep us when winter comes.”

Jed smiled. “Yeah, I know. But I gotta say it has been a very good birthday.”

sistergrace, Dan Ker, rachel741 and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 5:56 pm

Sweet 16 Challenge

Another Sam and Joe story… Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them.

Sam entered the livery, glanced around, and yelled, “Joe, where are you?”

“Up here in the loft.” Joe came to the edge and looked down. “What do you want?”

“It’s time for you to leave. Charlie’s here for the night shift.”

“Just a few more minutes while I finish up.”

“What are you doing up there?” Sam asked impatiently.

“Moving some hay around to make room for tomorrow’s new load.”

“Can’t that wait until morning?” Sam’s voice sounded agitated. “Isn’t that something Charlie can do?”

“I s'pose so.” Joe shrugged. “What’s goin’ on? And why are you even here?” he grumbled as he climbed down the ladder. “I usually don’t see you until I get home.”

“I came into town because I thought we’d go out for dinner tonight. Isn’t every day that my partner turns fifty-years-old.” Sam put his arm over Joe’s shoulders and steered him to the door. “Let’s go to Emma’s Diner.”

“Can you at least give me a few minutes to clean up first?” Joe moved away from being under Sam’s arm.

Sam sighed. “Okay, a few minutes, but hurry.”

“What’s the rush?”

“Don’t want tonight’s special to run out before we get there.”

Ten minutes later, the two men walked into a diner filled with friends, neighbors, and the employees, past and present, of the Jackson Livery.

“Surprise!”
“Happy 50th Birthday, Joe!”
“Glad you finally made it to your own party.”

Joe turned to Sam. “You didn’t mention a party.”

“You didn’t ask.” Sam grinned with two dimples showing.

“What about our animals at home?” Joe whispered.

“Henry’s oldest son is probably at our place now feeding and taking care of them. Just enjoy your party and the good food Emma made us.”

“Okay,” Joe replied quietly and then, facing the others, said in a louder voice, “Thanks for comin’, everyone.”

After a delicious dinner and pie for dessert, they left Emma’s and Sam steered Joe towards the Last Chance saloon down the street. Loud music and laughter could be heard outside.

“Come on, let’s go inside for a few drinks and games of poker. Just like in the olden days. “After you.” Sam pushed open the batwings and waited for Joe to enter.

“Happy birthday, Joe!”
“You don’t look 50.”
“First drink is on me.”

Sam and Joe made their way to the bar where the bartender poured them both a shot of whiskey. “It’s the good stuff since Ralph is paying,” he commented as he handed them their glasses.

“Thanks!” the two men said in unison before swallowing the amber drink.

“There’s an opening at that table. Think I’ll go sit in there.” Sam motioned for refills.

Daisy sashayed over to them. “Howdy, Joe. Heard you’re celebratin’ your birthday. “Wanna celebrate with me?”

Joe grinned. “Think I’ll go spend some time with a lovely lady. Lead the way, darlin'.”

Several hours later, Joe and Sam arrived at their cabin. After taking longer than normal to care for their horses, they staggered towards the house, laughing and holding each other up.

Once inside, Sam lit a lantern then opened the cabinet. “How about one more drink before we go to bed?”

“Sure. Why not.” Joe threw a log on the fire and sat down.

Sam poured two glasses and handed one to his partner.

“Thanks for the birthday party, Sam. I sure was surprised.”

“Glad you enjoyed it. Not every day my cousin turns fifty. Besides, I owe you for the party when I turned fifty.”

The men sipped their drinks in companionable silence.

“Who would’ve thought we’d live to be this old?”

“I know. By rights, we should’ve been dead a long time ago.” Sam took another drink. “What do you think the best part of the last fifty years is?”

Without hesitation, Joe replied, “That’s easy. The last ones – sixteen sweet years of bein’ in Jackson. What's yours?”

“Same – living in Jackson. No posses or bounty hunters or being worried about getting recognized.”

“And bein’ part of the community,” Joe added.

“Yeah. Who would’ve thought we’d have so many friends wanting to celebrate our birthdays?”

The two men clinked glasses and swallowed the rest of their whiskey.

“Thanks again, Sam.” Joe got up and headed to the bedroom.

“Happy birthday, cousin!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two older drifters huddled around a small campfire outside of Jackson, California.

“Sure is cold tonight, Ezra,” Art commented.

“Yep.”

“You sure have been quiet tonight.”

“Yep.”

Art waited a few minutes. “Wanna tell me what you’ve been thinkin’ about?”

Ezra smiled. “Remember that guy in the saloon? The one celebratin’ his birthday. I just remembered who he is – Kid Curry!”

“You sure?”

“Definitely! It’s been a long time, but I was in Wyoming at a town the Devil’s Hole Gang was hurrahin’ after a big robbery. Think it was at Rock Creek. Even tried to join the gang, but they told me no!” Ezra huffed.

Art's eyes widened and a big grin turned up the corners of his mouth. “So that guy Curry left with must be…”

“Yep, Hannibal Heyes.”

sistergrace, Dan Ker, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen   Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dec 23 - Sweet Sixteen
Page 1 of 1