Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

June 2023 Roses are Red....

Go down 
+2
Kattayl
Calico
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

June 2023   Roses are Red....  Empty
PostSubject: June 2023 Roses are Red....    June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2023 6:26 am

Hello one and all

Sorry to be a little late.

This month I am opening my tiny garden to the public gaze as part of my local National Garden Scheme group... and am VERY excited

So, while not going for an entirely or mandatory garden theme challenge...

I will pick (pun alert)

"Roses are Red.."

let the typing begin dogval dogval

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Roses are Red   June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2023 1:36 am

Roses are Red
June 2023 Challenge

NOTE:  This is the third story in the series following my challenges,
Busted/Crowning Glory and Dog Days at aliassmithandjonescanadian-forum.com

Excitement was in the air as Han Heyes and Jed Curry sat on a clean blanket in the back of the wagon heading for the new term at the Hopeful Academy.  Wearing stiff, brand new school uniforms that fit well through the generosity of Mr. Brown, Jane Brown’s father, Han smiled at the memory of Jane, a friend from their last school year.  Before they left Valparaiso, they listened as Dean Williams gave them a stern warning.

“Don’t get those uniforms dirty before you get to school…take care of them.”  He fastened his gaze on Jed, who glared back without moving.  His thoughts centered on the boy, thinking, “That boy’s stare could scare a man.  Hannibal is a brilliant schemer but this quiet one will grow up to be dangerous.  I need to keep a close watch on him.”

“You each have two sets of uniforms to last the year.  So do not tear them, rip them, stain them, or lose them.  Do you understand?”

“Yes, sir,” both replied.  They remembered the patched hand-me-down uniforms they’d been forced to wear last year.  Jed hadn’t minded, but it was important to Han to look neat and clean to impress Jane and the other girls.  Jed liked Jane but still didn’t understand Han’s attraction to girls.  

So now they rode in the back of the wagon, sitting up straight so their backs wouldn’t lean against the dirty wagon.  As always, their driver pulled the wagon into the stable at Hopeful Academy.  He went inside to check if the school needed him to pick up supplies and deliver them when he came to pick up the boys Friday.  

Without thinking, Jed jumped out of the wagon and reached back in to get the pillowcase that held his second uniform.  

“Now look what you’ve done to your sleeve!”  Both boys turned to the voice in the shadows and smiled to see Jane Brown.  Marching forward, she grabbed Jed’s arm and showed him the small tear near the elbow of his uniform.  

“Can’t take him anywhere,” Han tried to joke but was met with two serious faces.  

“Jed, change into your other uniform top.  Give me that one.  I’ll sew it so you’ll hardly notice.”  Jane examined the tear.  

Grabbing his pillowcase, Jed stepped into the shadows of the stable to change.  He looked around before undressing.  He’d gotten into trouble when he returned to the Home after passing all his tests for Hopeful.  Finally freed of the forced studying for the tests, he’d ignored the stables and went fishing with Han, thinking Hoffman was drunk and would sleep all day.  But he didn’t.  Dean Williams was waiting for them when they returned.  The welts his belt had left on Jed’s back still hurt so he knew they were visible.  

Seeing he was alone, he took off his torn shirt and searched in his pillowcase for the clean one…until he heard a voice behind him.  

“Oh, my goodness, your back!” the voice whispered.  

Feeling awkward, he quickly slipped his clean shirt on and buttoned it.  

A nervous giggle escaped the girl in the shadows.  “I’m sorry I said that.”

Jed looked closer.  He saw a small, brown-haired girl with a devilish twinkle in her brown eyes.  “Forget it.  I deserved what I got,” he told her.  

She looked around anxiously, wanting to change the subject.  “You keep your clothes in a pillowcase?”

Suddenly, Jed started to understand what Han might see in girls.  

“I’m Clementine Hale,” she said.  “And I’m very good at saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.”

Words left Jed as he grinned at the girl, but she kept talking.  “Jane’s father persuaded my father to send me here for this year as he’ll be traveling a lot.  Jane was going to introduce me to you two, but she forgot about me when she saw you tear your shirt.”

And Jed heard it again, that adorable nervous giggle and smiled.

“I didn’t forget you, Clem,” Jane said, as she pulled Han over to meet her friend.  Interrupted by the warning bell, they all ran out of the stables toward the school building.  

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

This year the boys had two friends.  The four students bonded over having lost their mothers.  Clem’s and Jane’s mothers died in childbirth.

Han excelled in everything he studied and was learning to play the guitar.  The Hopeful Academy dean was proud to have his orphan student interview with prestige schools for next year.  Jed enjoyed math even more as they studied trajectories and velocity but was uninterested in his other classes.  Still, he studied just enough to maintain passing grades.  Not that he cared about next year.  If Han wasn’t going to be here then, he didn’t want to be here either.  

They had become a foursome - Jed, Han, Jane, and Clementine - and were seldom apart unless in class.  Both girls were older than Jed and younger than Han.

When they parted at the Christmas break, Han and Jed gave the girls small handmade presents, but found two new travel bags in the wagon when they went to leave.  

“From the girls?” asked Han, as Jed looked at the cards.

“Those aren’t their names, Han.  They signed the cards with pictures of flowers.”

“They’re smart.  If anyone found the cards, they wouldn’t get in trouble for giving orphan boys expensive presents,” Han explained.  

“Who is who?”

“Clem likes yellow daisies.  The roses are red.  Jane loves roses, especially red ones.”

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

The week after Christmas, snow covered the ground around Valparaiso and continued to fall.  Jed worked in the stable taking care of the horses, sun, rain, or blizzard.  He didn’t mind.  Despite Mr. Hoffman, he enjoyed the animals.  

In a losing battle, Han was shoveling the front walk.  The snow came down faster than the three boys could shovel.  Stopping, they leaned on their shovels to watch a lone wagon approach.  

Recognizing the rider through his office window, Dean Wm Williams stood on the steps, under the cover of the porch.  “Mr. Brown.”

“Dean Williams,” the man said breathlessly into the snow and wind.

“Come in, sir,” the dean answered.  “Han, take the horse and wagon to the stable.  See they are taken care of.”

The visitor was the talk of the school and worried Han and Jed.  He paid a large share of their scholarships.  The two men talked for an hour.  Dean Williams opened his door three times, once to request hot coffee and once to request his secretary to join them.  And the third time to order that Hannibal Heyes and Jedediah Curry report to his office immediately.

“Honest, Han, I can’t think of anything I did wrong at Hopeful…well, nothing real bad,” Jed told his cousin as they hurried toward the dean’s office.

Sighing, Han stopped and attempted to calm his cousin’s wild curls with his fingers.  Williams wouldn’t waste the money for haircuts until they went back to school.  

“Okay, now let me do the talking,” added Han, as the boys walked up the steps to the backdoor of the Home perfectly in step.

The dean’s assistant opened the office door.  They entered hesitantly.

“Mr. Brown,” Han said, extending his hand.

“Good to see you, boys.”

While Han took care of the greetings, Jed studied Mr. Brown.  If he didn’t know better, he’d think the man had been crying.  But what does a rich man like him have to cry about?

Dean Williams indicated two empty chairs.  “Sit down.”

Never having sat down in this office, Jed backed up, but Han went to the farthest seat, sat down, and crossed one ankle on the other knee.

Following his cousin, Jed took the last chair.  He sat just on the edge and leaned forward.

“Please excuse the boys’ appearance, Mr. Brown.  Han has been shoveling snow and Jed attending the horses,” said the dean.  Jed didn’t think he looked happy, but Mr. Brown was a large benefactor to the Home, and the dean would never cross him…at least not to his face.

Mr. Brown turned to the boys, sadness in his eyes.  “Han, Jed, I came here to ask a favor of Dean Williams, which he has been so kind as to grant.”  He nodded to the dean but did not smile.  

Confused, the boys waited quietly to hear what Mr. Brown had to say.  He looked away from them.

“Jane is very ill.  She has been for some time but insisted on going to school and living as normal a life as she could.  It’s one of the reasons I brought her friend, Clementine, to stay with us this term.”  His words choked him.  He stopped to take a sip of water.  

Jed didn’t want him to continue.  He couldn’t stand to hear about someone he cared about being so sick that her father was holding back tears.  

Mr. Brown smiled through teary eyes at the two boys who looked alarmed.  “She definitely won’t be going back to school.  In fact, she may not live until the end of your Christmas break.  The dean has agreed that you two may leave with me today and stay at our house until Easter.  Your company is at Jane’s request.  You will attend the Academy and live with us, even on weekends.  How do you feel about that?”

“Can’t the doctors cure her?” Jed blurted out.

“No, Jed.  Doctor Henry is an excellent doctor, up on all the latest research.  But he can only make her as comfortable as possible.”  

Mr. Brown was close to weeping when the dean took over.  “I wouldn’t have let you two go but this is a special circumstance.  Be on your best behavior.  If you don’t, I will hear of it.  Don’t keep Mr. Brown waiting.  Be sure to pack both your uniforms.  Help out where you can…now go!”

Jed and Han left the room quickly.  Their dorm was empty this time of day.  They took their new travel bags and quickly placed their school uniforms on the bottom.  

“Jed,” whispered Han.  “Pack everything you want…we ain’t coming back here.”

“Han?”

“Must have taken a donation for Mr. Brown to get us out of here.  I been half planning for us to run away next week.  I overheard Dean Williams tell his secretary he made a deal to apprentice me out to a banker before school starts again.”

“Wow, they won’t be happy at Hopeful.”

“Williams wants the money he’ll get.  You weren’t going to tell me?”

“Wanted to make a plan first.  This works better.  We’ll stay with the Browns while we can.  I need to go over my plans with you.”  

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

The two weeks before classes resumed were a joyous kind of sad.  Jane tired easily.  Han read to her every time she asked.  Enjoying sitting in her mother’s sunroom, Jane loved the Christmas Rose plants growing there.  She’d smile sadly, “I wish to see their roses bloom again.”  The boys asked.  Mr. Brown answered sadly, “No blooms until February, or more likely March even inside, I’m afraid.”

But that was two months away.  They knew Jane’s life was now counted in days, not weeks or months.

Dr. Henry came by; Clementine and the boys listened to him talk to Mr. Brown through the closed door.

“She seems better.  More alert,” Jane’s father said, hopefully.

“The company of her friends eased her pain but hasn’t slowed the disease.  Don’t look for miracles,” he answered, almost too softly to hear.

Missing a few words, they heard, “Best thing you could have done for her is surround her with friends.”

“Yes, the boys have been no trouble.  Dean Williams assured me they’d be hard to handle.  I should feel free to use my belt liberally.  But I have found them well behaved.”  

The three could hear nothing more.  Suddenly, the door opened.  They jumped back quickly, sure they would be questioned about spying.

“Jed, Han, you need physicals to return to school.  I’ve arranged with Dr. Henry to conduct them,” Mr. Brown said, placing a gentle hand on their shoulders.  

“We’re very healthy, Mr. Brown.  We don’t need physicals,” Han said.  Jed nodded his agreement.  Neither were willing to show the healing welts on their legs or the scars of their backs.

“No excuses, boys.  Han, you’re first.”

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

Although appalled at the evidence of the beatings the boys had received, Dr. Henry kept their secret.  Overall, they were in good health. He spoke to Clem, and she spoke highly of both of them.  He couldn’t figure out if she had a favorite between them.  To him, she claimed she loved them both

Jane appeared to be feeling better, although the doctor assured them it was a more positive attitude rather than healing.  When school started, her friends did their homework together with her in the sunroom.  She joined in when she could.  But slowly as the weeks passed, she slept more and the light in her eyes dimmed.

One night, in the sunroom by her rose bushes, she laughed as Han used funny voices for the characters in the story he was reading.  Jed and Clem sat with them in a circle.  Anytime Jane smiled, her friends did, too.  Tonight, Han had a surprise.  He had asked to borrow the guitar in Mr. Brown’s study.  Retrieving it from behind the shrubs, he watched Jane’s face light up.  “I would truly enjoy some singing!”  

“I’m just learning to play.  The Academy thought I should be more well-rounded and learn an instrument.  I only know one song,” Han confessed.  “Simple Gifts.”

Han played and sang.  With Jane’s encouragement, he played it again and they all sang together.  

“Again, please!” Jane said.  So, they sang it again, but Jane was quiet, delighting in hearing them sing.

Mr. Brown was listening.  He joined them in the sunroom.  

“Papa, will you sing with us?”

He could refuse her nothing.  Taking the guitar, he played while they sang.  He was rewarded with a beautiful smile from his daughter.  “Thank you, Papa.  I love you so much.” she said.  Then he chose a religious song that had been his wife’s favorite.  The boys didn’t know it, but Clem did and joined in softly.  

With a smile on her face, Jane leaned back in her chair, closed her eyes, and passed away.

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

After Jane’s funeral, Mr. Brown insisted the boys stay with him until Easter as he had arranged.  He respected both boys found after school jobs in the mercantile.  They were good boys.  He’d found them truthful and hard working.  

Two weeks before Easter, they were called into the Dean’s office.  They thought it was to tell them they would start returning to Valparaiso on weekends, but they were wrong.  There were papers spread on the dean’s desk.  He looked at Jed sadly.  “Can you tell me what these are and what you were doing?”

Jed gave Han a guilty look.  “They’re vectors.”

“I can see that.  What were you doing?”

“I was seeing how much force I needed to shoot a rock thirty yards to the big tree near the stable at each angle.”

“What happened?”

“I hit Mr. Lawson by accident.  I wasn’t expecting him to come out of the stable right then.” Jed said contritely.  

Han stared out the window knowing what the dean would say next.

“I’m sorry, Jed, I have no choice.  You know the rules.  No weapons of any kind, including slingshots, are allowed in this school.  It’s a shame because your grades have improved, but I’m sending a letter with Han to Mr. Brown that today is your last day at this school.  Han, I expect you to finish out this year.  You have a bright future ahead of you.”

“Yes, sir,” said Han, with no intention of returning without his cousin.  

Jed hung his head and simply said, “Sorry, sir.  Goodbye.”

The dean looked at the boys.  “Maybe I should give Jed another chance,” he thought, but then dropped the idea.  He had ignored other sightings of the slingshot by teachers.  No, Jed couldn’t stay.  At least Han understood; his graduation would look very impressive for the school.

“Sorry, Han.”

Han surprised him by smiling.  “Just mean we move our escape up a few days.  Let’s go by the mercantile.  Today is payday.”

At the Brown’s home, it was quiet.  Clem had left and Mr. Brown had buried himself in his work since his daughter died.  

“No need for us to leave tonight.  We’ll leave in the morning.  Pack your travel bag and have it ready.  Leave the uniforms here.  Maybe the next orphans can use them.”

Rising at sunrise, Han left two notes on the dresser in the room they shared.  One was from the dean of the Hopeful Academy about Jed and the other was a simple thank you note from the boys for all Mr. Brown’s help and kindness.  As they headed for the front door, Han slipped out into the sunroom.

“Look,” he said, pointing to the Christmas Rose plant.  

“The roses bloomed!”

“And the roses are red.  Jane’s favorite.”  With his knife he cut two of the flowers.

As they walked out of town, the two boys stopped at the church graveyard and laid two red roses on Jane Brown’s grave.  Each said a silent goodbye before they left Hopeful to start life on their own.

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Roses are Red   June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2023 9:04 am

“You might've changed your name, but you sure ain't no different than before we split. Why can't you just walk away from idiots? Your Ma always told us that turning the other cheek is sometimes for the best.”

The Kid turned to Heyes with a snarl in his voice, “And look where that got 'em, dead, and us sent to hell pretendin' to be an orphanage. I ain't never gonna let anyone push me around again.” He paused then added. “Not even you. And if we're talkin' 'bout not changin' I think you're even bossier than you was and I never figured that was possible.” The Kid had learnt to shoot best he could in order to be able to stand up for both himself and Heyes when they were all each other had. That fierce determination not to be a victim had only strengthened in the time he'd spent out in his own. Now they were back together, it just meant he was back to protecting more than just him. So he wasn't going to let Heyes stop him from doing what he thought was needed to make sure they both stayed safe.

They were yelling at each other, both trying very hard not to turn this into a brawl but to Heyes the odds were shortening on it staying that way, but that belief still didn't stop him shouting in reply. “I ain't bossy you just don't never listen.

A hammering on the door broke into their fight and the Kid shook his head and turned his back on Heyes, flinging it open to be confronted by the very angry desk clerk who hissed at them. “It's after midnight, and you're keeping everyone awake! If you don't tone it down, I will throw the two of you out.”

The Kid glared at Heyes who shrugged and smiled apologetically at the man, which just annoyed the Kid more, and he looked between them as he said. “Don't need to do that, as I'm leavin' anyway!”

With that he pushed past the fuming man and stomped down the stairs out into the street.  It was three weeks since they'd found each other, after nearly eighteen months apart, and things weren't going well. They had been having similar arguments, with about the same frequency as before they'd gone their separate ways, so something had to give.

The Kid aware of someone watching him from above swirled round and saw Heyes looking down at him, his face worried and as he noticed the Kid had seen him he shrugged a little helplessly and turned away.

The Kid strode away, still angry and walking quickly, guided by the light of the full moon found himself coming up on the small cemetery, lit by gas lamps and his eyes fell on a beautifully kept grave with a fresh bunch of red roses laid in front of it.

Markham
Robert John
Clara Louise
Never parted even in death

The Kid turned at the sound of footsteps and a middle aged woman wearing black came up behind him, slowing in startlement when she saw him. “Don't worry Ma'am, I don't mean you no harm.” With that he tipped his hat and made to walk away but a delicate hand on his forearm stopped him. “You're one of the young men from the hotel aren't you?"

The Kid felt a little embarrassed, suddenly recognising the woman as one of the other guests and realising his and Heyes' argument had likely woken her and maybe driven her out here into the dark, said softly. “Sorry we disturbed you Ma'am.”

Her worn face broke into a small smile which didn't quite reach her eyes as she said. “Oh son, I rarely sleep. I was already planning on coming out for a walk before I heard you arguing."

“Still I'm sorry, we should a been more respectful.”

The woman didn't answer him directly and merely asked. “The other young man, he your brother?”

The Kid shook his head and said. “Cousin.” Then not sure why he added softly. “We used be as close as brothers, but we don't seem to do nothing but argue now.”

Her smile turned sad and her eyes glistened as she looked over at the grave.. “Ahh, son, take it from me, find a way of working it out between you. Me and Robbie were all each other had, but we had a falling out when he fell for a saloon girl who l misjudged at the time. So when he married her, I was so mad and we fought all the time and they eventually left. I found them again, but only when Robbie was so sick, that he didn't know I was there. The sickness had already taken their baby girl and poor sweet Clara died just weeks after Robbie, broken hearted. I never got to tell him I was wrong. The only thing left for me to do was bring them both home. I remembered Robbie telling me just before they wed that Clara loved red roses, so I come here most every weekend to sit and talk and tell them I'm sorry.” She laid her hand back on his arm and said firmly. “Don't be like me, son. Sort it out between you, before you've nothing left but regrets.”

With that she walked over to the grave, laid a kiss to her fingers and lightly stroked the marble headstone with a “See you next week.”  The words were said softly but carried easily over to the Kid in the silence of the night. She gave him a final glance and a small smile before hurrying away, her face already streaked with tears.

The Kid watched her go and suddenly found himself swamped by memory. He and Hannibal fishing, swimming, getting into trouble together. He remembered seemingly endless summer days full of more laughter than tears when they were both still part of loving families. His mind then moved reluctantly forward to that dreadful day, when they'd surveyed the wreckage of their lives, crying with helpless grief, but still managing to find strength in each other. Taking a deep breath to regain some control, he allowed his mind to drift onward to their miserable three years at Valpo. Having each other to rely on had been about the only thing that had kept them both sane and mostly in in one piece. The Kid easily remembered with a wince of pain, how the early days of simply surviving after they'd run away from that hellhole hadn't really been that much better.  He'd kept them alive by developing and honing his skill with a gun, and Heyes had kept them hopeful and resilient with a seemingly boundless positivity, and schemes and dreams woven by his silver tongue. The Kid now a few years older realised just how hard that must have been for him at times and appreciated it far more than he had at the time. He quickly found his cheeks heating slightly as his memory moved onto the sheer stupidity of the argument that had led to them splitting up. He looked down at his fist remembering how he'd flattened his friend before storming away, ignoring his cousin's shouted pleas for them to just talk about it.

The loneliness of life out on his own was a still painfully fresh memory. Nothing had been easy and everything bad that happened had seemed so much worse because he had no one to talk to, grumble at or just laugh with. As the memories faded, the Kid was left with a tight throat, itchy eyes and a new determination not to walk away this time. As his Ma and Pa had often said, usually after one of their frequent fiery discussions had ended in a kiss and them heading upstairs together, family was worth fighting for, even if it meant sometimes saying sorry when you weren't sure you were the one at fault. He knew with certainty that Heyes wouldn't leave him, and so in order to make sure they didn't end up being miserable and angry all the time, they needed to learn to compromise. The Kid figured that would take work, but a final glance at the lonely red roses on the grave convinced him it would be worth it. He didn't want either of them to live with the sort of aching grief that he was sure another separation would bring them.

Taking another deep breath he started to walk back to the hotel just as the dawn chorus began to chirp around him. Listening to the cheerful sound of a new day beginning, he smiled at the appropriateness of it.

Last edited by rachel_74_1 on Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Penski, Kat, Kattayl and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: June 2023 Roses are Red....    June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 3:47 pm

My story actually exceeded the 3,000 words so I had to cut almost 900 words from it. I'll post the longer story soon.

Roses are red…

Hannibal Heyes walked into the Silver Queen saloon in Jackson and over to the bar. Raising a finger, he said, “One beer.” He took a long drink. “Any good games of poker around here?”

“Sure is, but they don’t start until much later.”

Heyes looked up at the top of the staircase. A beautiful young woman with deep red hair, wearing a red satin dress, looked down at the room below. Heyes winked and smiled, showing his dimples.

She smiled and seductively walked down the stairs and towards him. “Well, aren’t you cute!” She ran a finger down the side of his face. “What’s your name, stranger?”

“Joshua.” He gave her arm a caress. “Yours?”

“Roses are red!” She lifted the sides of her dress to flare it. “What’s your guess?”

“Rose?”

She nodded.

“Beautiful name for a beautiful lady!”

“Shall we go on up and get to know each other better, Joshua?”

Heyes took her by the arm. “Lead the way, darlin'.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes yawned as he made his way into the hotel after a delightful afternoon and an evening of poker.

“Mr. Smith, your friend hasn’t arrived yet,” the desk clerk answered. “Shall I still let him go up to your room, no matter what the time?”

“Yes, definitely.” Heyes furrowed his brow as he climbed the stairs. They had separate jobs that went in two different directions. They had agreed to meet in Jackson yesterday. Heyes was surprised when he was the first to register at the hotel.

He opened his door and sighed. His last thoughts before falling asleep were, “Where are you, Kid?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes woke to a tap, followed by two more taps, on the door. He quickly got up and grabbed his gun, noting it was still dark outside.

“It’s me, Joshua,” came a whisper.

Heyes unlocked the door; Kid Curry leaned heavily against the doorpost.

“Come in.” Heyes guided his exhausted partner to a bed, shutting the door behind them. “Where’ve you been? I was worried.”

“Long story – wait until mornin’.” Curry fell onto the bed.

“Oh, no, you’ll sleep better without all your clothes on. Can’t sleep with a gun, either.” Heyes pulled the Kid up into a sitting position. He placed his hat on a table and pulled off his jacket and shirt before letting him lay down again. “I’ll get your gun and boots, but you’ll have to undo your button fly.”

“Okay,” came a worn-out answer. Curry slowly unbuttoned his pants.

Heyes unbuckled the gunbelt and placed it on a bedpost, took off Curry’s boots, then pulled down his partner’s pants. He covered his sleeping friend with a quilt.

Heyes smiled. “See you in the morning, Kid.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The partners slept in late. The Kid woke while Heyes was shaving. He stretched, still in bed. “Time for breakfast?”

“More like lunchtime, Kid.” Heyes wiped the last of the shaving cream from his face. “You gonna shave first?”

“Probably.” Curry rubbed his head. “I sure could use a bath.”

“Before lunch?” Heyes smiled.

“I guess it can wait until after I eat.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A clean Kid Curry walked into the Silver Dollar saloon with Heyes late in the afternoon.

“I wonder where Rose is?” Heyes commented as he looked around the room.

The Kid grinned. “I haven’t known you to be so interested in a gal before.”

“You haven’t seen her yet.”

Curry softly whistled. “That must be her.”

Heyes looked in the same direction. “Yep, that’s Rose.”

“I can see why you’re so attracted to her. Are you gonna…”

“I did yesterday. You go ahead.”

“You’ll be okay?” Curry’s eyes stayed on the beautiful lady coming down the stairs and towards him.

“Last night’s games were good and the players were friendly.”

“Well, then, if you don’t mind…”

“Have a great time, Thaddeus,” Heyes encouraged.

“Thaddeus? Are you a friend of Joshua?” Rose ran her fingers down his chest.

“He sure is, Rose. You two have fun.” Heyes turned and joined a poker table.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Rose twisted her long, wavy hair back up as the Kid pulled on his boots.

“You should keep it down. It’s beautiful, just like you.”

“Now aren’t you sweet!” Rose gave him passionate kiss.

“Now don’t you be startin’ something…”

BANG! A gun went off downstairs.

Curry pushed Rose aside. “Joshua!” he exclaimed and grabbed his gunbelt.

Rose grabbed a silky robe and ran out behind him. At the top of the stairs, they saw Heyes on the floor.

“Joshua!” Curry ran down the stairs.

“I’m okay,” he panted as he shut his eyes. “Just get me outta here. We gotta leave town now!”

The Kid put his bandana on Heyes' forehead. “You can walk?”

Heyes nodded as he pressed the cloth to his head.

Curry half-carried his partner out of the saloon. “Think you can wait while I get our stuff and horses?”

Heyes nodded.

The Kid found a crate in an alley, hidden from the main street, and eased Heyes down. “Don’t you go nowhere. I’ll be right back.”

“Hurry.”

Curry rushed into the hotel. “We have to check out now. Make up our bill while I get our things,” he called out. His hands were full a few minutes later with their belongings.

“That’ll be $1.50,” said the clerk. “I hope everything is okay?”

“Yeah.” Curry fished in his pocket and pulled out $2.00. “Keep the rest of it,” he said as he ran to the livery.

The Kid helped the stableboy saddle up their horses, tied down their belongings, and paid within five minutes. He walked the horses behind the buildings to the alley.

“How are you doin'?”

“I’ve been better.”

“Let me wrap up your arm better before we go so the bleedin' quits. I’ll clean it when we stop.” Using clean bandanas as padding, he tied them tightly around the arm and his head. “Sure you can ride?”

“Just help me up and I’ll stay on.”

The Kid pulled Heyes to his feet and up on his horse. He mounted his gelding and the two left town quickly.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ten miles from town, Curry stopped beside a creek. “You’re barely stayin’ on your horse, Heyes. We’re stoppin’.”

“How far away?”

“Far enough.” Curry dismounted and went over to Heyes. “Stay put for a few minutes while I get your bedroll ready.”

Heyes nodded.

The Kid made a bed near the creek by a tree, hidden from the road. He led the horse over to it. “Okay, just get down and I’ll help you.”

Heyes slid off his horse into his partner’s arms.

“Will you be okay while I take care of the horses and make camp?”

“Sure.” Heyes closed his eyes.

The Kid hobbled the horses and made camp. Once the water was very warm, he put a hand on his friend.

“You gonna tell me what happened while I clean your wounds? Thought you said you’d be okay? You don’t look okay.”

Heyes opened his eyes. “Roy Smiley.”

“Roy Smiley did this to you? I didn’t see him. Where’d he go?”

“He came in. Sat down. Didn’t recognize me at first. Ten minutes later, he grinned. Remembered me. I'd just won a big pot. Mostly his money. He was mad. Hit head with bottle. Shot me in arm, grabbed money and left.”

“So that’s why we had to get outta town quick, in case he went to the law.”

“Don’t think so, but never know. He’s wanted, too.”

The Kid gently began cleaning the wounds.

“Was okay until he came.”

Curry shook his head. “Just our luck.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The Kid fell asleep. Several hours later, he woke up to moaning.

“Heyes?” He reached over and touched his partner's arm. “Dang, you’re hot!”

He began bathing Heyes’ head and arms. By morning, he was exhausted and Heyes was getting no better.

Curry began to pace. “If you’re no better by noon, we’re goin’ back to Jackson. I’ll figure out something.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Early afternoon, Curry watched the saloon’s back door. “Please come,” he prayed.

About thirty minutes later, a lovely lady appeared.

“Rose!” the Kid called out.

She turned, looking around.

“Over here.”

“Thaddeus?” Rose made her way over to him. “What’s going on? Where’s Josh… Oh my, he doesn’t look good!”

“He got a fever last night from gettin’ shot. I didn’t know where to go.”

Rose fished for a key in her pocket. “Take him to my place. It’s just outta town on the south side. Small cabin, with a white picket fence and garden. You can’t miss it. I’ll be there late.”

“Thanks, Rose. Don’t know what I’d do without you.”

She smiled. “I’ll think of something.” She looked back at the saloon. “I have to go.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A little after midnight, Rose walked the short distance home. The house looked dark, like no one was there. She opened her small gate and walked up to the porch. A curtain slightly moved, and the door opened. Inside only one lantern and the stove were lit.

“How’s Joshua?”

“The same. He seems more comfortable here than where we were.”

“Which was?”

“We made camp about ten miles away.”

“Oh. Thaddeus, may I ask why you left in such a hurry with Joshua injured?”

“Guess we owe that to you.” Kid Curry sighed. “We know the man who hit and shot him.”

“Smiley?”

Curry nodded. “You know him?”

Rose shuddered. “Evil man. I hate him and won’t bed him, no matter how much money he offers. No one in town likes him.”

“He still around? What happened after we left?” the Kid asked, as he bathed Heyes down.

“Heard he’s still hanging around, but after what he did to Joshua, folks are telling him to leave. Everyone thought you were trying to take Joshua to a doctor – we don’t have one in town. Harriet’s a healer, so most folks go to her.” Rose yawned. “I’m sorry. I need to rest for a while. It’s been a long day.”

“Sorry, we’re in your way.”

“Oh, you’re not in my way.” Rose made her way over to her bed and began taking off her clothes. She smiled when the Kid quickly turned, giving her privacy in her one-room cabin.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Rose slept in late. She stretched, yawned, then sniffed. “Is that coffee I smell?”

Kid Curry looked up from tending to his friend. “Hope you don’t mind?”

“Mind? It’s wonderful waking up to it already made.” She slipped into a robe, poured a cup of coffee, and walked over to them. “Is he any better?”

Curry shook his head. “It didn’t seem like such a bad wound.”

“I’ll get dressed and go get Harriet.” When she saw Curry’s face, she quickly added, “Harriet won’t say a word to anyone that you’re here.”

“I brought in a bucket of water while it was still dark. Also brought in some more wood.”

Rose heated up some water, removed her robe and began cleaning up. “Thaddeus, you’ve seen me naked before,” she commented when he quickly turned around.

“Well, that was when you were workin’. Don’t seem proper when you’ve invited us into your house.”

“You’re the sweetest, Thaddeus!”

A few minutes later, Rose walked towards him, her hair down, dressed in a light blue shirt and a darker blue skirt.

The Kid whistled. “You look beautiful!”

“Thank you.” Rose made a little curtsy and grabbed a wide-brim straw hat. “I’ll be back soon with Harriet.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Rose returned with an older, dark-skinned person.

“Thaddeus, this is Harriet. Joshua’s the one I was telling you about.”

Harriet knelt beside Heyes. “When did he get the injuries?”

“Almost two days ago,” Curry answered.

She unwrapped the bandages. “No more bleeding.” Next, she pulled out a large magnifying glass and inspected the wounds. “Still glass in his head. Arm needs better cleaning, too. Just used hot water and liquor?”

“Yeah, that’s all I had.”

“It’s good, but sometimes not good enough. This time it’s not good enough.” Harriet stood up. “I’m gonna make a poultice for both wounds. You try to get some water in Joshua. Just a few drops and stroke his neck. He should swallow.”

An hour later, the poultice covered the wounds and Heyes was dressed only in his union suit.

“Joshua ain't gonna like this,” the Kid commented.

Rose smiled as she looked down at him. “I’ve seen him wearing less.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening Rose came home earlier from work. “Slow night because of the weather,” she explained as she took off her wet jacket. “How’s Joshua doing? Any better?”

Curry smiled. “His fever's down a little. Whatever concoction Harriet made, along with keepin’ him wet, is workin'. She’s comin’ back tomorrow to check and clean the wounds.

“Oh, good, you have coffee made. Want some more?” Rose poured herself a cup.

“Sure.”

“Glad it’s raining. We need the water and it’s nice to have some time off.” Rose took off her wet outer clothes and, wrapping a blanket around herself, sat down in a chair near Heyes with her coffee. “He might get chilled with the fever coming down and being wet. Have a blanket ready for him.”

“I got one here.” The Kid sat on the other chair. “I can’t thank you enough for takin’ us in and gettin’ Harriet, Rose. Not sure why you did it.”

“Oh, I appreciated the big tips from both of you. It was nice having clean and polite men, and it doesn’t hurt that you’re both awfully cute.” She sipped her coffee. “Besides, I know you wouldn’t have asked if you had any other options.”

Heyes moaned.

“I sure hope he wakes up tomorrow. Funny how I miss how much he can talk when he doesn’t,” Kid Curry commented.

“Joshua’s a talker?” Rose asked.

“Yeah, didn’t you notice… Oh, I suppose not.”

Rose smiled. “We didn’t do much talking when I spent time with him.” She sighed. “My Sam was a talker. Had grandiose plans.”

“Sounds like Joshua.” Curry took a sip of his coffee. “Mind me askin’ who Sam is?”

“Sam was my husband. We married young and he died young, making me a widow. We didn’t have much and there’s not much a gal can do to earn money.”

“That’s a shame.” He shook his head. “Is Rose your real name?”

“Is Thaddeus your real name?”

The Kid smiled. “You got me there.”

Heyes shivered.

“Time to get a blanket on you, partner.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry slept soundly, laying on the floor next to his partner.

“Kid… Water,” came a raspy voice.

No answer.

“Kid… Water...”

“Thaddeus,” Rose called out.

“Huh?” came a sleepy reply.

“Give Joshua a drink of water.”

“What?” Curry sat up and looked into a pair of brown eyes. “Joshua, you’re awake!”

“Water?”

“Sure,” the Kid whispered. He poured a glass of water. “Here you go.” He lifted Heyes’ upper body so he could drink.

A moment later, Heyes was sleeping.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Harriet knocked on the door early in the morning. Kid Curry grabbed his gun as Rose put on her robe.

“Who is it?”

“Harriet, dear.”

Curry quickly holstered his gun.

“Come in.” Rose opened the door. “I’ll make some coffee. It was a rather late night when Joshua woke up.”

“Good. I’ll clean his wounds.”

The Kid stomped on his boots. “He asked for some water.”

“He needs to drink to get better.”

Heyes groaned. “Oh…”

“Take it easy, Joshua.” Curry put his hand on Heyes’ chest. “Harriet's here to clean your wounds.”

“Harriet?”

“She’s the healer in town. Better than some of the doctors we’ve seen, especially Beauregard.”

“You look so much better today. Let me see your arm.” Harriet removed the blanket.

Heyes blushed. “I don’t have clothes on.”

Curry grinned. “Nope, just your longjohns. You were pretty sick with a fever and had an infection. Both ladies have seen you this way.”

“Both?”

“Good morning, Joshua!” Rose came over to greet him.

Heyes looked puzzled.

“You remember Rose, don’t you? I guess she looks different without her work clothes on.”

“Rose… I remember.”

“I should hope so! Does everyone want coffee?”

Harriet cleaned the poultice from his forehead. She dug in her basket and brought a magnifying glass and tweezers out. “Now you stay real still while I clean the glass from your wound.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening Rose came home to see Joshua sitting up. “You certainly look better.”

“I’m feeling better,” Heyes replied. “Harriet’s a wonderful healer.”

“She is.” Rose sniffed the air. “Is that bacon and biscuits?

“Yeah, I made Joshua something to eat. There’s more in the pan by the stove stayin’ warm. Why don’t you sit down and I’ll get you some.”

“I could get used to this – coffee in the morning and something to eat in the evening.” Rose sat in the chair beside Heyes. “Smiley's finally gone and good riddance! Townsfolk told him to git and not to come back.”

“That’s good. He’s just plain trouble.” The Kid handed a plate to Rose.

“This is delicious, Thaddeus.” Rose took another bite. “I’m gonna miss you two when you leave.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few days later, before sunrise, Heyes and Curry were packed and ready to leave. Rose was up, wrapped in her robe.

“I sure am gonna miss you two.”

“And we’ll miss your hospitality.” Heyes gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Thanks for takin’ us in, Rose. We really appreciate it!” Curry kissed her other cheek.

“Ready, Joshua?

“I’m ready.”

“Sure? It’s only been a few days.”

“You worry about staying on your horse…”

In unison, the Kid joined Heyes, “And I’ll worry about stayin' on mine.”

Rose laughed. “Good bye”

“Bye, Rose!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening, Rose came home to an empty, dark house. She lit a lantern and sat in a chair. On the side table was an envelope. Curious, she opened it and gasped. Inside was $750 and a note.

“We owe you this and much more. Love, Thaddeus and Joshua.”

Rose began crying. “Sam, it looks like I can move on. I have enough money now to move back east and start a new life.”

rachel741, Kat and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: June 2023 Roses are Red....    June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2023 6:48 pm

Another non story. This ficlet is set in my Terms universe, has the barest of plots and is a series of short snapshots.

Roses are Red

Denver

The air was hot, humid and still, blanketing the interior of the large theater. The crowd sat in the plush seats fanning themselves, captivated by the entertaining stories of the man in a beige linen suit sitting in center stage. The audience stood as one in a standing ovation at the conclusion to the night’s program. In spite of the resounding success of the evening’s talk by Samuel Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, forty-two-year-old Hannibal Heyes was anxious to exit the building into the cooler night air.

Heyes laid his hand lightly on the back of his companion for the evening to guide her through the crowd. He came to an abrupt halt upon entering the ornate lobby when the woman suddenly turned. Audrey Nickerson leaned in towards her escort’s ear to be heard over the general din of the exiting crowd. “Heyes, I’m sorry, in this heat I forgot my wrap on the seat. If you wait here, I’ll retrieve it and be right back. Can you hold this for me.” She thrust her program and clutch bag into Heyes’ hands and slipped back into the main theater.

“Oh, excuse me. I didn’t expect you to move backwards.”

Hannibal Heyes rocked on his feet, regained his balance from the force that hit him from behind. He slowly turned at the sound of a pleasant voice with a melodic amused tone to it. Brown eyes widened at the lovely, flustered woman behind him. She was dressed in a rose-pink summer gown with a spray of red roses and baby’s breath pinned where the material gathered on one side, accentuating her trim waist. Dark brown hair in an elaborate twisted updo framed a heart-shaped face with a light olive complexion. Contrasting unusual periwinkle blue eyes met his with interest.

“No pardon me, ma’am. I was trying to move to the side and out of the way of everyone making for the doors.” He gestured with his right hand and then realizing he was holding a ladies clutch rapidly dropped his arm to his side and slightly behind his back. He stepped to the side slowly with the women being pushed alongside him by the theater goers. “You see, my companion forgot her wrap and she went back for it before I could offer to get it for her.”

The women in rose smiled. “Well, that explains things. I’m sure your wife knows your chivalrous nature without it having to be demonstrated at all times.”

The dimple appeared in the handsome face as his grin widened. “Oh, I’m not married. I’m not the marrying kind. My companion is our attorney and friend’s wife. Her husband wasn’t enthused about attending and as I am a reader and an appreciative fan of Mr. Twain as is Audrey, I volunteered to escort her to tonight’s program. May I assume you and your husband are fellow enthusiasts?”

“You may assume I am still an avid reader of his books. My husband, when he was alive, added all his works to our library. I’m here with friends.”
Audrey Nickerson, clutching her light silk summer shawl, hurried into the lobby, searching for the man she left. Her eyes lit up with delight at the sight of her friend subtly flirting with woman, who she also recognized.

“I thought you may be here, Violet. I see you’ve met my escort for the evening.” Audrey smiled as she performed the introductions. “Heyes, may I introduce Mrs. Violet Ducasse. Violet, this is Hannibal Heyes. Violet and I are both members of the Ladies Auxiliary Foundation for the Denver Children’s Hospital.” She stepped closer to the man next to her and laid her hand on his forearm, giving a brief squeeze of encouragement. “You may be interested to know that Violet is a published author herself.” She turned to her female acquaintance. “Heyes is quite the avid reader. Perhaps he has read some of your work.”

Violet Ducasse laughed daintily as her expressive hands gestured dismissively. “I doubt that, Audrey. Most of my published poems and short stories are in various ladies’ magazines. My own dear departed husband didn’t even read most of my work unless I asked for help proofreading before I sent them to my editor.”

Audrey sighed, she knew she had a history of trying too hard to play matchmaker for Heyes and Curry in the past. A brief upturn of the lips developed at the thought that at least she had a hand in Jed “Kid” Curry finally finding the perfect woman. There must be someone out there for Hannibal Heyes. She eyed the rose clad woman speculatively before glancing back at Heyes, thinking perhaps there is a spark.

Heyes handed the clutch back to Audrey, grinning as he could practically see Audrey’s though processes. He made an impulsive decision. Bowing slightly in front of Violet he asked gallantly, “May I call on you, ma’m. I would like to explore our literary interests together and perhaps other things as well.”

“I’d like that, sir. You must have had an interesting life and not one I would have thought that lent itself to the pursuit of literature.” Violet opened her reticule and withdrew an enameled card case to hand Heyes her calling card.

“You’d be surprised. My partner, Kid Curry, wasn’t always cooperative when I would want to spend hours reading but he did like a good adventure story back then and after, well after… let’s just say he has come around to appreciating the written word.”

Audrey inserted, “Perhaps, Violet, you can extoll the pleasures of writing as well as reading. We have been trying to get Heyes to author the Heyes and Curry story but to no avail, yet.”

The crowd was thinning rapidly. The little group seemed to realize that they were almost alone among the theater goers in the lobby.

“I guess I better find my friends. They’re probably wondering where I wandered off to. Nice to see you again Audrey. And it was nice meet you, Mr. Heyes. I, of course have known of you but it is nice to finally meet the man.”

Heyes fingered the calling card, before tucking it into his vest pocket. “The pleasure is all mine. I look forward to getting to know you better, Mrs. Ducasse.”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourteen months later at the Curry/Heyes ranch outside Denver

“How’s this feel, boy? We’re both getting a little stiff. It’s not the age but the miles. And you and I certainly have a traveled lot of miles in the saddle together.” Kid used firm long slow strokes with the curry brush on the faithful dark bay gelding. The ranch hands cared for the rest of the ranch’s horses but generally Curry and Heyes still preferred to take care of Blackjack and Clay themselves.

“I thought I would find you here.”
“What can I do for you, darlin’.” Kid came out of the stall to find his wife standing in the stable aisle. “The kids stallin’ about getting ready for bed?”

‘No, the twins are sound asleep. Although for how long, God only knows. Sean and Michael are being almost too good to believe. They went right down with no problem. They’re up to something.”

Kid chuckled as he put away the grooming tools. He glanced quickly around before enveloping Erin is his arms and initiating a warm kiss.
Erin allowed herself to respond with deepening passion. The couple broke apart and got lost in each other’s eyes during their stolen private moment at the end of a hectic day. A slender arm patted her hair back in place and hazel eyes widened in a sudden thought.

Kid reached for his wife’s hand and started to lead her out of the stable back towards the house. “My bet is the boys have some animal hidden away that they want to make a pet out of. ‘Cause two dogs and a cat isn’t enough in the house. I’ll check on things when I go up to say goodnight.”

Erin tugged her husband to a stop. “No, wait.”

“What am I waitin’ for?”

“Jed?”

“Yeah?”

“Has Heyes said or do you think…I mean people are saying…rather they ask me if I know…”

“Erin, what are you talkin’ about? Heyes says a lot of things. Sometime too many things. What people? And what are they saying.”

“The women in town. They’re saying that maybe wedding bells will be ringing. Has Heyes talked about what he and Violet …”

“The women in town talk too much too. Heyes and I discuss almost everything but not our private love lives. Never have and probably never will. I wouldn’t be countin’ on him putting a ring on her finger just yet, though.”

“Well, they’ve been courting for over a year now. I know Violet is smitten and Heyes seems happy. He has certainly been spending a lot more of his time at the town house and less time at the ranch.”

Kid sighed heavily. He sat down on the bench just outside the stable, gently pulling Erin down next to him. “Darlin’, I’ve known Heyes all my life. I have yet to see him truly in love.”

Erin turned towards her husband and patted his thigh somewhat forcibly. “But…”

“But nothin’. Heyes has been infatuated, intrigued, interested, and has even had his heart broken by a woman once or twice when a relationship ended before he wanted. He always eventually walks away even when he didn’t need to. I think he likes Violet and likes spending time with her and even her children. They have many common interests. However, what I mean is that, to me, and I suspect he knows that he is not really wantin’ a ready-made family and to be tied to someone who he doesn’t really know if he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Heyes cares for Violet. He may even love her in some way.”

“How can you say that if you just said you don’t talk about your love lives.” Erin shot back indignantly.

Bright blue eyes held hazel green ones in an intense warm gaze. Erin started to blush and dropped her gaze as her hand slid down Kid’s thigh to capture his hand that was resting on his knee. He turned his wrist and held her small hand in his larger, rough one.

“I know the same way he knew I was falling in love with you before I even admitted it to myself. Every day is better if at night I lay my head down next to yours and wake up with you in my arms. I don’t think Heyes is in love with her the same way I love you.”

Three months later – Denver

“Roses are red, Violet’s eyes are blue. Candy is sweet and these are for you.” A pink foil wrapped candy box and bouquet of long stem red roses were held out by Hannibal Heyes as he entered the library at the Ducasse townhouse.

Violet put down her pencil on top of her writing pad as the box of chocolates was placed before her. The delighted woman reached for the bouquet and buried her nose in the fragrant blooms. She rose gracefully from behind the desk, giggling.

“You’re early. Not that I’m not pleased to see you. Now, I have an excuse to not finish the poem I’m struggling with.” The giggles turned into a musical laugh. “Perhaps, with your poetry skills you just demonstrated you could be of help.”

The dark head shook in mock horror at the thought of being enlisted in the composition of romantic poetry for whatever magazine Violet was currently contracted for. Heyes came around and hugged his lady friend with a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. The couple broke apart when the maid entered with a vase filled with water, which she placed on the small table in front of the large window before leaving the room.

“Han, honey,” Violet started as she reached for her diary on the corner of the Queen Ann desk. She patted the tapestry chair alongside the desk, indicating her paramour to sit. The diary was opened, and a slim finger ruffled the pages. Several small envelopes of fine stationary stiffened the body of the book. “Let me see, we need to be at the Amoradon’s next month on the seventh, the Paige’s on the eighteenth, and we have been invited to a garden party weekend at the Bogert’s the last weekend.” Violet was looking down and didn’t notice the sudden slumping of Heyes’ shoulders and the slight wince that passed quickly over his face.

Periwinkle blue eyes crinkled in confusion at the serious tone of her lover’s voice. Heyes led the way as the couple sat angled to face each other, their knees touching. Heyes’ eyes dropped to his lap for a moment before meeting Violet’s questioning look directly. He took both her hands in his, thumbs gently caressing her palms.

“Han, what is it. You’re making me nervous. We don’t have to attend all the events. I can decline an invitation if you want me to.”

“I want you to go and have a wonderful time. I won’t be going with you, though.” Heyes responded with a voice full of regret.

Violet drew back slightly and a small “Oh,” escaped from downturned lips.

“You know that Kid and I are opening another office in San Francisco. The branch we opened in Dallas two years past is doing well. We decided that we can attempt to break into the San Francisco area market. We have a few contacts in the area so that will help. I’m going to be spending most of my time there over the coming months, since the Kid did a lot of the leg work in Dallas.”

“When will you be back?”

“Violet, this is hard to for me to say. The last year has been wonderful. I’ve enjoyed being with you. You are an intelligent, talented, and beautiful woman with three well-behaved children.”

Delicate hands squeezed the masculine ones hard as blue eyes started to glisten. Pink lips compressed into a straight line in an effort to refrain from womanly tears. The unwanted feeling of being in her own romance story only without the happy ending swept over Violet. She knew a but was coming and was certain she didn’t want to hear it. One hand let go and came to rest over her heart.

“But?”

“But, if you remember when I first met you I did say I was not the marrying kind. I know who I am and I’m good with that.”

“I’m not,” murmured Violet as she dropped her eyes. A lone tear escaped to trail slowly down her cheek, Heyes reached up and gently wiped it away. He had the good grace to look uncomfortable.

“I haven’t brought the subject of marriage up to you. Why are you leaving me?”

“You’re right, you’ve never pressured me about the marriage question. However, we’re falling into a pattern of acting as a betrothed couple. You did nothing wrong, it’s me that’s wrong.”

In spite of her breaking heart, Violet couldn’t help the choked laugh that burst forth. “Oh, Heyes, not that old cliché of it’s not you it’s me from the noble but wrong man to his spurned virtuous lover.”

Heyes looked affronted at his lover’s assessment of his message. “You deserve to find a man who does want to be married. One who will cherish and love you to death do you part like my partner loves his wife. I can’t be that man. I don’t want to be that man, I’m not even sure I’ll ever feel that way about any woman to be that man. Your children deserve to have that man as a father. To prolong this is doing neither of us a favor.”

“I’m not going to beg.”

“I never expected you to. Violet you are a remarkable independent woman. You proved you don’t need a man to live a full life when you first husband passed. It has been wonderful these last few months to have you in my life for me and I hope for you.”

Heyes leaned over and embraced the woman across from him in one last passionate kiss that lasted for several moments. He disengaged and Violet’s arms slowly withdrew from his shoulders to clasp her hands together in her lap. Hannibal Heyes rose from the sofa.

“Under the circumstances, I think I should leave. I’ll see myself out.” He bent down and placed a chaste kiss on her damp cheek. With a somber tone he added, “I hope you find that special someone that deserves you and your family. Take care. Violet. My life has been better for knowing you.” The dark-haired man turned and walked out of the library without a backwards glance.

Violet sat still, collecting herself and getting her emotions of shock and hurt under control. Anger might come later. After a few moments her eyes fell on the tissue paper wrapped red roses lying on her desk. She rose from the sofa and took hold of the flowers, unwrapping them as she crossed to the waiting vase of water. Placing the long stems in the vase she pricked a finger on a sharp thorn. Violet starred at the small trickle of blood on the right index finger and thought, “Roses are red, Violet is blue, roses smell sweet and have thorns too. Just like my love for you. I hope we find that special someone that both our hearts are seeking even if it’s not a happily ever after ending for us together.

Notes:

We have all heard of the most famous poem of all that starts with ” Roses Are Red”- “Violets Are Blue”. The origins of the poem can be traced as far back to 1590 by Sir Edmund Spense and later in 1784 made famous by Gammer Gurton's Garland: The rose is red, the violet's blue, The honey's sweet, and so are you. The original words aren’t exactly how I grew up knowing the verse but they’re close enough.

Penski, rachel741, Kattayl and ingin6 like this post

Back to top Go down
ingin6

PostSubject: Roses Are Red   June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2023 7:52 pm

Nell: I loved it. Kid does know his partner. I wasn't surprised at all at the ending. Heyes was honest with her from the very beginning, can't fault him for that. At the very beginning, I thought that this might be the lead in to another story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2023 Roses are Red....    June 2023   Roses are Red....  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

June 2023 Roses are Red....
Page 1 of 1