Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

March 2023 Welsh (Welch)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Empty
PostSubject: March 2023 Welsh (Welch)   March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2023 1:37 am

Oh SO many apologies
I knew I would be away for two days on a work thing over month end and planned to set a challenge and put up the poll on the 28th Feb

THEN I forgot all about it
Sorry sorry sorry

Anyhow - My lovely husband suggested something about St Davids Day for March 1st

So...
Your topic is WELSH

Or just possibly WELCH

(After all, Soapy did once ask if the Governor had welched on the deal...)

Ysgrifennu Hapus

Back to top Go down
Leah_Anders

PostSubject: Re: March 2023 Welsh (Welch)   March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 7:22 pm

“Heyes, I’m starved. What do you say we head out and get some lunch?” The two men had just gotten into town and settled into a room at the local hotel. It seemed, at first glance, like a quiet town, verging on boring; which, when you’re two wanted outlaws, is not a bad thing.

“Good idea, Kid. You know, I think I saw an English pub when we rode into town. They could have some interesting chow.”

Kid nodded enthusiastically, “That sounds good. Anything except beans and hard biscuits. Please!” He grabbed his hat, turning back to ask, “Just what do Englishmen eat, Heyes?”

Heyes shrugged, “You got me, Jed. Let’s go find out.”

Opening the door of the restaurant caused the tiny bell attached to the doorknob to tinkle softly; apparently just loud enough to grab the attention of a middle-aged woman who promptly walked out from the kitchen in the back. She smiled and greeted them cheerfully, with a pronounced English accent, “Sit anywhere you like, gentlemen. You made it in right before I locked the doors to prepare for the dinner crowd later.”

The men smiled politely and found a table near the rear of the empty restaurant where both of them could sit at an angle which allowed both of them to watch the front door. She approached their table with two cups of steaming hot coffee. “I assume you want coffee…all you colonists out here love your coffee,” she said, chuckling with amusement at her joke. “My name is Agatha. I own this establishment. Now, what can I get started for you? I have shepherd’s pie, welsh rabbit and steak and kidney pie. What appeals to you?”

The two cowboys looked at each other quizzically. Kid could tell by Heyes’ furrowed brow that he didn’t recognize these names any more than he did. “Well, hmmm. I guess I’ll have the welsh rabbit, ma’am,” Jed said, rather doubtfully.

Heyes considered his options and asked, “Is shepherd’s pie some kind of dessert, Ma’am?”

She laughed and said, “No, it’s more of a meat and vegetable pie.” He looked dubious but she assured him, “Oh, trust me, you’ll love it. If not, I’ll bring you something different.”

“Well ok then. I’m always up to try something new. Shepherd’s pie for me, I reckon,” said Heyes.

As she walked back into the kitchen, Jed leaned across the table. “Heyes, have you ever heard of welsh rabbit? It’s probably some kinda rabbit stew, don’t ya think? Like the kind we make sometimes when we’re lucky enough to kill a rabbit?”

“Yeah, Kid, you’re probably right. Rabbit stew, that sounds right.”

A few minutes later, the door to the kitchen swung open and Agatha arrived at their table with plates of food. “Here you are, gentlemen. One shepherd’s pie for you. And one welsh rabbit for you.”

Heyes beamed happily at the delicious mound of mashed potatoes in front of him before digging in and discovering the steaming chunks of meat and vegetables. He greedily put a big spoonful in his mouth and groaned in contentment. “Agatha, I have to give you credit. This is delicious.” He glanced up long enough to notice Jed hadn’t started eating yet, uncharacteristically. “What’s the matter, Thaddeus?” he asked.

Jed was staring down at his plate. “Uh, Agatha, you musta forgot part of my lunch.”

“Oh? I’m not sure I know what you mean,” she frowned.

“Yeah, I don’t mean to complain or nothin’, but where’s the rabbit? All I see is bread with cheese on it. Don’t get me wrong, it looks tasty enough. But where’s the rabbit stew?”

“Rabbit stew?” she said, looking confused. Then her face lit up in amusement and she laughed uproariously. Once she regained control of herself, she said, “This is welsh rabbit. No stew. No actual rabbit…actually.”

Jed stared up at her, not sure what to say. Finally, he just repeated her words back to her. “No stew. No rabbit.” She nodded, biting her lower lip as she did so. “Just bread. With runny cheese.”

“Yes, I guess you could say that. But I can assure you, it’s delicious.”

Jed looked dubious but he delicately dipped his finger into the cheese sauce on his plate. “Well, that is pretty tasty, Agatha. I guess I will eat this welsh ‘rabbit’ after all.”

“That’s the spirit, young man. I knew you’d like it if you tried it. Now, can I bring you gentlemen anything else before I close the kitchen for lunch?”

“Yes, ma’am. I’d like a little more of your coffee, if you don’t mind.” She nodded and started off to the kitchen. “Oh, ma’am. One more thing if you don’t mind?”

“Yes?”

“Could you bring me one of those shepherd’s pies? This is pretty good but I’m gonna need more than just toast with cheese. And if you happen to have any real pies back there, like apple or peach, I’ll have some of that too. Thank you.”

She laughed again and walked away, shaking her head. Jed looked across the table to see Heyes smiling at him in a bemused fashion. “What? A man’s gotta eat, ain’t he?”

Penski and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Welch(ed)   March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 7:32 pm

March 2023 Challenge Story
Welch(ed)

Hannibal Heyes trudged wearily into the small dusty town of Road’s End and headed to the salon with a cane made from a tree limb, dragging his left leg.  Hesitating outside the batwing doors, he took a deep breath.  Setting his makeshift cane next to the window he tried to stand up straight on his leg.  The left leg collapsed.  Resigned, he grabbed the cane and pushed the doors open.

The one man in the world he trusted and wanted to see in the saloon was not there.  The one man he had wrongly trusted and wanted to avoid was sitting at the back table playing poker.  

He didn’t have enough money for a room but had enough for a beer.

“You seen my partner in here?  We were here together three days ago?” he asked the bartender as he ordered his beer.  “My height, sandy brown hair, blue eyes?”

Ignoring the question, the barkeep walked to the far end of the bar and served a waiting customer.  Then he returned.  “Saw him here with you.  I remember men that wear their guns tied down.”

Heyes took a welcome sip of the beer.  “Seen him since?”

“Might have.”

Heyes reached into his pocket and deftly withdrew half of his remaining money.  “That’s all I got in the world until I find my partner.”

“Should have known,” the barkeep chuckled.  “He was in the next night.  Mr. Jenkins, he owns the bank, came in looking for someone to deliver papers two towns over.  Your partner volunteered.”

Heyes sighed loudly.  “Thanks.”  He picked up his beer to go to a table, forgot about his leg and cane and crumbled to the floor, spilling the beer all over himself.

ASJ*****ASJ

Only one thing had gone right for Heyes since Jim Plummer stole the take from a robbery and his gang broke up.  He tried in vain to find a gang in Wyoming or Colorado that needed a good safe man.  Got arrested once for asking the wrong person that question.  He spent three nights in jail until he convinced the sheriff that he was an undercover Bannerman detective trying to work his way into a gang.  

The jail cell had been better than being alone and out in the rain.  He had enjoyed the company of the sheriff and his son, the deputy.  Enjoyed the evening poker game that was allowed.  Of course, he stayed locked up.  The table was set up outside the cell and he reached through the bars.  He even purposely didn’t win too much.  When he got out, he was more careful about trying to find a new gang.  

About two weeks later, the only right thing that happened, happened by accident.  He was working in a saloon, sweeping up the place during the day and washing the floors and taking out the trash at night.  At sundown one night, he heard a familiar sound with he was emptying the trash.  Bang.  Bang.  Bang.  Bang.  Bang.  Bang.  Then a stop to reload and the sound of someone practicing shooting resumed.

The Kid and Heyes had split up when Heyes joined the Plummer Gang.  Curry hadn’t wanted to join a gang he didn’t know a lot about.  Heyes felt bad about it now that following Plummer turned out to be the wrong choice.  The Kid had wanted to stay together and kinda honest.  But no matter where they were, if he had money for the bullets, the Kid practiced his shooting.  

Heyes had approached the end of the dead-end alley cautiously at first.  He studied the man before him and knew him instantly.  His cousin had grown up, filled out and gained a reputation as a fast gun.  Heyes had read about him in the papers when he could, but hadn’t found anything in the last seven months.  He clapped his hands when all six of the cans jumped off the fence in rapid order.

The Kid had turned around quickly, empty gun pointed at Heyes.  

“Heyes!” he had said with a smile.

And that was it; all was forgotten.  They were partners again.  That was three weeks ago.  Heyes was worried that the Kid didn’t say much, although they were comfortable together.  Heyes had asked but the Kid never said what he’d been doing the last seven years.

“Kid, what do you think about us joining another gang?” Heyes asked tentatively.  

When the Kid smiled this time, it was the same easy smile, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes.  There was a harder edge to the Kid now.  He was wary of strangers. Heyes figured it took something out of you to get a reputation as a fast gun.

“Ain’t against it anymore long as we check out the gang first.  Some of them like killin’ to intimidate and show how powerful they are.”  

“We will, I promise.”

Heyes didn’t mean to, but he’d broken that promise and ended up hurt, broke, and alone.  

The Kid and him had wandered into Road’s End after a long ride, cold and on edge.  They pooled their money and Heyes multiplied it at the poker table.

“Kid, I found us a gang that needs a safe man and a gunnie.  Vern Hendry’s the leader.”  Heyes had been so excited that he expected the Kid to be too.

“You check him out?”  

“I’ll talk to the bartender,” he answered before the Kid could stop him.

As he walked back to the table, he saw the harder edge to his partner in his face and in his manner.  It was going to take a lot to convince him.

“Says the gang comes here all the time,” Heyes said as he sat down.

“That’s all the checkin’ you gonna do?”  The Kid’s voice was a low growl.

Heyes knew he had to use his silver tongue now, but it had never worked too well on his cousin.  

“They got a job tomorrow morning.  They want us both to join in.  We’ll each get a full share of the take,” he said, trying to convince Curry.  

“Where?”

“South of here.”

Once Curry steepled his fingers in front of his face in thought, Heyes knew he wasn’t going to agree.  

“Tell you what, I’ll go with Vern, feel them out.  Open the safe for them.  Get my full share I was promised and then we’ll discuss it.  We could use the money.”

“You go with them, don’t know if I’ll be here when you get back.”

“Aw Kid, you ain’t never been stupid.  This is our opportunity.”

“Your choice, Heyes.”

Heyes watched in amazement as the Kid drained his drink, stood up and left.  “Kid, wait!”  Heyes had gone after him, but the street was empty.  

ASJ*****ASJ

And the Kid had been right.  Everyone in the gang had been friendly and amazed he opened the safe without dynamite.  Vern Hendry had led them all out of town, stopping at a small shack about two miles away.  Heyes watched him count the large take thinking of the delights that money would buy for him and his cousin.

But that didn’t happen.  When he stood up to collect his take, something hit him hard on the back of his head.  When he woke up, he’d been dragged by the feet out into the brush.  His horse was gone.  His gun, hat and boots were gone. His eyes and jaws were aching, and he had a hell of a headache.  When he tried to stand, his left leg wouldn’t hold him.  

And now he was back where he started, in the saloon in Road’s End.  But the Kid was gone, and he was alone watching Vern Hendry, the man who welched on his promise of a full share of the take, laughing while playing poker.

“Next time you gonna listen to me?”  The Kid’s voice was behind him.  He helped him stand up.  Heyes grabbed the Kid’s arm, leaning heavily on him as they found a table.

Hope, that’s what Heyes defined what he felt.  Even though he was soaked in beer, he had hope that he might have another chance.  “Yeah, I’ll listen.  You have some good ideas.  You gonna tell me now where you been the last seven months?  All stories about the gunfighter Kid Curry just disappeared from the newspapers.  Where were you?”

Curry came around and sat opposite Heyes.  He picked up his partner’s almost empty beer and finished it in one gulp.  Then he stared into the empty glass.  “I learned to be careful who I trusted while spendin’ six months in prison for trustin’ the wrong man.”

Heyes, for once, didn’t know what to say, but he knew what to do.  He held up two fingers to the barkeep then looked his partner in the eyes.  “Think we both learned there’s only one person we can ever trust…each other.

Heyes heard Vern Hendry’s voice laughing at the poker table.  Curry looked the same way.  

“That the man that did this to you?”

Heyes nodded but turned away, but his prison hardened partner stood.  

Curry checked his gun and reholstered it.  “Let’s go get what he owes you.”  He handed Heyes his makeshift cane and led the way to the poker table.

Heyes realized that his partner had learned a threatening stance, a gunfighter’s stance, while they were apart.  

“Vern Hendry, I believe you owe my partner some money.”  The Kid’s voice was quiet, but his tone allowed no contradiction.  

Hendry looked up from his cards and into the now steel blue eyes of his opponent.  He looked at Heyes and back at Curry.

“Partner?” Hendry asked.  

“Partner,” Curry answered firmly.

“Ah, Vern, that’s Kid Curry,” one of the other poker players said with a tremble in his voice.

Vern’s right hand moved.

Before he could reach to his side and draw his gun, Curry’s gun was in his hand.

“Wouldn’t try to go for your gun.  Take it out with two fingers and put it on the table.  All of you do that.”  Heyes was startled at the harshness in his partner’s voice.  

“Good.  Now, Hendry, the money you owe my partner.”

Hendry reached into his breast pocket and took out a stack of bills.  He counted some out.  

“That right?” Curry asked Heyes, who nodded then picked up the money.  

“That your gun?”  Curry held his gun on Hendry while he pointed at a Scofield among the colts on the table.

Heyes picked it up.  “Sure is.”

Curry motioned him to back away and stepped backwards still holding his gun on the men.  “Barkeep, come over here.  Take those guns.  They can have them back when we’ve been gone fifteen minutes.”

“Now where’s Heyes’ horse?”

“Tied out in front,” one of the players answered quickly.

“One more thing,” Curry growled, but motioned Heyes to keep moving.  “You took his hat.  Don’t see it on any of you, but Hendry, that black one of yours with the silver things on the band will do.”

“But...”

“The hat!”

Hendry took it off and threw it on the table.  Before picking it up, Curry handed the barkeep some bills.  Keep them here awhile.”

“Yes, sir, Mr. Curry, sir!”

Heyes wondered at the respect the Kid got when he pulled his gun, but left and found his horse.  Curry plopped the black hat on his head before helping him into the saddle.  “Hat fits you!”

Heyes smiled, knowing he could trust his partner to take care of him.  And his partner could trust him to thoroughly check out the gang that they would join together

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: March 2023 Welsh (Welch)   March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 10:00 pm

Welched Again

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry rode into the town of Silver Fork as the sun was high in the sky. They discreetly noted the town, its people, and its sheriff.

“I’ve never heard of Sheriff Russell Sanders. Have you, Thaddeus?”

“I don’t believe I have.” The Kid smiled and relaxed. “Seems like a friendly town, too. Maybe we can rest up a few days here.”

“Maybe we can find a job or two to build up our savings.” Heyes headed to the saloon’s hitching post. “We should probably let Lom know where we are and if anything has changed with the new governor. I’ll go send a telegram and you get us two beers.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

About fifteen minutes later, Heyes and the Kid were enjoying the last of their beer when a man walked into the saloon.

“A reply for Joshua Smith,” he called out over the noise.

The partners made eye contact before Heyes raised his hand. “I’m Joshua Smith.”

“Here you go, sir.”

Heyes handed the man a nickel. “Thank you.”

Thaddeus looked over Joshua’s shoulder. “From Lom?”

“Yep.”

“That was quick. He must’ve been waitin’ for us to get in contact with him.”

“Kid,” Heyes said in a hushed tone. “He wants us to meet him at Nolan Ranch. Said it looks promising this time.”

“Amnesty?” the Kid mouthed the word.

Heyes nodded enthusiastically. “He asked us to be there at the end of the week.”

“That’s only a few days away. Let’s get goin’!”

The two men patted each other’s back as they left the Silver Fork saloon.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry checked out the ranch using a pair of binoculars.

“Looks like just Lom’s horse.”

Curry nodded and mounted his horse. “Can’t be too careful.”

The two ex-outlaws rode cautiously to the old Nolan ranch and up to the cabin.

Lom greeted them on the porch. “I was hoping you two would be here sometime today.”

“Got here as soon as we could, Lom.” The Kid tied his horse to a post.

“So, Lom, did we get it?” Heyes asked, enthusiastically.

Governor Shaeffer has one job he wants you to do and then you’ll get it.”

“Another job?” Heyes enthusiasm dwindled. “Another job?” he repeated, his shoulders sagging.

“What kind of job is it this time, Lom,” the Kid asked.

“Come inside. I brought some fried chicken and have some whiskey. We’ll talk after you’ve eaten.”

“What kind of job!” Curry demanded.

“Just getting his son away from Dodge City and back to Cheyenne.” Lom led the way. “Let’s eat and I’ll tell you the details.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry talked as they rode on a train from Cheyenne to Dodge City.

“What’s the plan, Heyes?”

“Easy. We find Charles Shaeffer in Dodge City and take him back to Cheyenne.”

“What if he don’t wanna come, which I’m assumin’ the case is or we wouldn’t have be told to bring him home,” the Kid wanted to know.

“Okay, let’s think of the worse situation. He’s a drunk and stubborn and don’t want to go back home. We’ll go back by horseback, which’ll take just over a week, giving him time to sober up and come to his senses.”

The Kid shrugged. “That don’t sound too hard.”

“Nope. It’ll be an easy job.”

Curry sighed. “I wish you hadn’t said that – probably just jinxed us.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“How many saloons are there, Heyes?” Kid Curry’s hand hovered near his gun when they got off the train and saw how large and rowdy Dodge City was.

“Man over there said there were sixteen of them.”

“Is there any law and order here?”

“Sure don’t appear to be much.”

“How are we gonna find Charles?” the Kid wanted to know.

“One saloon at a time.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Several hours later, Heyes and Curry entered the thirteenth saloon, The Long Branch.

“I sure hope we find him soon,” Heyes sighed.

“Give me that picture.” Curry held out his hand then looked at it closely. “That him?” He pointed to a man about to get in a fight towards the back of the saloon.

“Sure looks like him.”

“Darn it all!” The barkeep pulled out a gun and cocked it. “Charlie, you get outta here! You’re not startin’ no fight in my place, if I can help it! Get him outta here, boys!”

“Looks like we finally found Charles, Thaddeus.”

Two burly men grabbed Charlie and threw him out of the saloon into the alley.

“Come on.” Heyes led the way out of the saloon to find Charles.

Charles sat in a mud puddle cursing.

Heyes pushed back his hat and put his hands on his hips. “Charles Shaeffer?”

The drunk squinted his eyes. “Who wants to know?”

“Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones. Your father wants us to take you back to Cheyenne.”

“Cheyenne? Why’d I give up partyin’ here to go back there and be respectful again, just because Pa’s the governor?”

“Because you love your father and mother?” Curry ventured a guess.

“Maybe Ma…”

Heyes used his silver tongue. “I bet your mother would hate to see her son drunk and sitting in a mud puddle. Here…” Heyes extended his hand. “Let’s get you out of there and cleaned up. We can talk during dinner.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, three men rode out of Dodge City with provisions for a week.

“Isn’t it great to get out of Dodge City and breathe in some good air instead of smoky saloon air? By the time we get to Cheyenne, you won’t be even needing a drink,” Heyes said with a flourish.

“I can’t believe you talked me into this.” Charlie’s hurting head was touching his chest.

“I can’t believe you did, either,” the Kid muttered under his breath.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The first night out, Charlie’s body was shaking and he was irritable. “I’m going back!”

“No, you ain’t,” Curry argued. “If I need to, I’ll take your reins away from you.”

“I need a drink!”

“Nope,” Heyes stated. “Thaddeus, what do you think about camping over there?” He pointed to a grove of trees in the distance.

“Sounds like a plan to me.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I want a drink!”

“There’s some coffee,” Heyes offered.

“I don’t want coffee!”

“Water?” the Kid asked.

Charlie got up and started walking away.

“Where you going?” Heyes asked.

“Down by the creek to get cleaned up.”

Later, the Kid asked, “Joshua, it’s been over an hour. He should be really clean. Think we should check on him?”

“I guess so.”

The two partners stood up and brushed the dirt from their backsides before walking to the creek. They heard him before they saw him.

“Hic… I’m goin’ back to Dodge City. Hic… I don’t care what they say or do… Hic…”

“Where’d he get liquor?” Curry said to no one as they hurried to the creek.

“There you two are! I ain’t goin’ back with you, you hear! You’ll have to make me!” Charlie yelled.

“Charlie be reasonable!” Heyes quickly ducked as the bottle was thrown at him.

Curry wasn’t so lucky as the bottle hit him in the forehead. “OUCH!” He quickly put his hand to his head. Blood oozed from the wound so he quickly took off his bandana and applied pressure to his head.

“Now look what you’ve done, Charlie!” Heyes growled.

Charlie rushed Heyes, making both of them fall. Charlie began pummeling Heyes with his fists, though Heyes got in a few good hits, too.

BANG! BANG!

“Charlie, stop!” the Kid demanded.

Charlie scowled menacingly, stood up, and started coming for Curry. The Kid was ready and punched him in the face, making him drop unconscious.

Curry walked over to his partner, who was sitting up and trying to get his breathing under control, and offered him a hand up. “Your worse situation didn’t include a mean drunk.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, two battered men led a horse with a man thrown over the saddle. By noon, there was moaning and groaning coming from the man.

“Stop! Please stop! Oh, my head!”

The horses stopped.

“Let me up! Please, let me up! I’m gonna get…” Charlie threw up.

“Good thing he got that outta his body,” Heyes commented.

“And not on us,” the Kid replied.

“Come on, guys. I’m sick and hurting! Can’t we camp early today? What’s the big hurry?”

“The hurry is the sooner we get you to Cheyenne, the sooner we can be done with this ‘easy’ job.” Curry looked around. “Looks like a creek and coverin’ over there, Joshua. Wanna stop?”

“No, but I guess we have to.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“What happened to you two?” Charlie asked, as they sat around a fire eating pork and beans.

Heyes sported a black eye, a split lip, and had bruises in several places. The Kid’s forehead was bandaged with one bandana for the bleeding and another to hold it in place. His knuckles were bruised.

“You’re one mean drunk, Charlie!” Heyes stated.

“I did that to you?”

“You don’t remember?” Curry asked incredulously.

Charlie shook his head.

“Charlie, you have to get control of your drinking. Next time you could kill a man and get hung. Worse is that you don’t remember. Think how many men you’ve hurt. I’m sure Thaddeus and I aren’t the first.”

“But hopefully we’re the last,” the Kid added.

Charlie hung his head. “I’m sorry, guys. I really didn’t mean to do that to you. You’re right, Joshua. I need to stop before I kill someone.”

“We can get you started on the trail to Cheyenne and then your folks can help you after that. You know, Charlie, they love you and only want what’s best for you.”

“Yeah, I know. And I love them, too.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

By the fourth evening, they were approaching Denver.

“Charlie, are you gonna sneak away to get a bottle?” the Kid asked. “I’d rather tie you up than have you get back on the bottle.”

Charlie had the shakes, he sweated profusely, and was chilled, curled up in a ball by the fire. “No, I’m not leaving to get a bottle,” he answered, sounding sorry for himself. Feeling pretty bad and have for the past few days.”

“That’s from all the alcohol you used to drink, getting outta your system,” Heyes informed him. “Have some water. It’ll get better soon, I promise, and you won’t be needing it anymore.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

By the sixth night the trio were at the Colorado-Wyoming border.

“I sent Lom a telegram in Carr saying we should be in Cheyenne late tomorrow.” Heyes poured coffee in everyone’s cup. “You might be sleeping in your old bed tomorrow night, Charlie.”

“Yeah, I was just thinking about that.”

“How you feelin’?” the Kid asked.

“Tired… real tired, but I’m not shaking or chilled like I was.

“Good. You look better, too.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Lom Trevors met the three travelers just south of Cheyenne. “Howdy, Joshua and Thaddeus.” He held out his hand. “You must be Charles Shaeffer.”

Charles nodded and shook the sheriff’s hand. “Yeah, but I’ve gotten use to being called Charlie.”

“Thought I’d take you the rest of the way into town so these two can get some rest after their long journey.” Lom furrowed a brow. “What happened to you two?

“Long story, but it wasn’t an ‘easy’ job,” the Kid informed Lom.

Charlie sheepishly looked down. “No, it wasn’t. I was a mean drunk, but Joshua and Thaddeus convinced me to stop drinking before I killed someone.”

“I’ll meet you two where we normally meet in five days. I should have good news for you.” Lom Trevors turned to the governor’s son. “Are you ready to go home?”

“Yeah, I am.” Charlie nodded. “I wanna thank you, Thaddeus and Joshua, for what you said and did. I really do appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome, Charlie.” Heyes shook his hand.

“Just do us a favor and stay away from the bottle.” Curry shook his hand.

“I will. I’ll think of what I did to the two of you when I get an urge to have some. Bye.”

“Bye,” the partners answered in unison.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry were at Nolan Ranch waiting for their amnesty.

“Just think, we’ll soon have…”

Kid Curry quickly drew his gun and went to the window. He uncocked his gun and holstered it. “It’s Lom.”

The partners met Lom Trevors on the porch.

“Well?” Heyes asked in anticipation.

Trevors sadly shook his head.

“What? He didn’t give us amnesty?” Curry asked, his expression incredulous.

“Nope. I’m sorry, boys. Not so much as a thank you or note of appreciation. When he said no, I asked about paying you for your job and he laughed. Another governor welched on his deal.” Trevors got down and pulled a bottle of good whiskey from his saddle bag. “Let’s go inside.”

Three defeated men sat at the table and began drinking.

“That’s it. I’m done. I can’t keep doing this,” Heyes announced. He glanced at his partner, who nodded.

“Can’t say I blame you, boys. Not one bit.” Lom took a drink. “Don’t respect this governor after what he did to you.”

Curry chuckled. “Well, he probably won’t be in office long. Don’t seem like any of them are in office for too long.”

“Will you go back to outlawing?” Lom asked. “Hoping you won’t.”

Heyes shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

“Bein' honest seems to have grown on us,” Curry added.

“Good.” Trevors nodded and took a drink. “So, what now?”

“Maybe we’ll just disappear and start over with new names,” Heyes threw out.

“Well, I hope you stay in contact, but I'll understand if you don’t.” Lom stood up. “I should get going. You take care of yourselves. I’m so sorry things didn’t work out like what was promised you boys.”

Heyes and Curry walked Sheriff Trevors to his horse and shook hands.

“Not your fault, Lom. You tried and we appreciate it.” Heyes shook his hand.

“Appreciate you talking to ALL the governors, Lom.” Curry shook his hand.

“Bye Heyes… Curry.” Lom Trevors rode out of Nolan Ranch.

“Well, Heyes, now what?”

“What do you think about disappearing and settling down with new aliases?

The Kid nodded. “I’m tired of going from one place to another, always worried about someone recognizin’ us. I like that idea of a new start where folks may not know us. Where?”

Heyes pulled out a coin. “Heads East and tails West.” He threw the coin in the air and deftly caught it. “Tails!”

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 2023 Welsh (Welch)   March 2023   Welsh (Welch) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March 2023 Welsh (Welch)
Page 1 of 1