Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

November 22 - A Sneaky Signal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Empty
PostSubject: November 22 - A Sneaky Signal    November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am

Hello to one and all

If you are this side of the herring pond, sheesh, isn't it WET.

The challenge for you wonderful writers this month is from the LIST ....

Activate your braincells on

A Sneaky Signal

purr

Penski, rachel741 and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: November 22 - A Sneaky Signal    November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2022 11:27 am

Preacher, a full flask of whiskey in his hand, watched from where he was leaning against the small fence, as Heyes and his three companions rode into the hideout's main square, laughing, their bags loaded down with the take from the bank job at Kingston. He'd not gone with them this time, still recovering from a twisted ankle sustained during the last job. Not that it mattered, because as long as they were in good standing, every member got their equal share of whatever was stolen, regardless of whether they participated or not.

Heyes and the Kid had insisted on that when they'd become leaders after Big Jim's arrest. Anyone violently unwilling to accept the rule, had been rapidly shown the door and any further grumblings from the rest, had been quickly silenced by sharp edge of Heyes' tongue or the business end of the Kid's colt. Now pretty much everyone agreed with the idea, especially as it had benefited all of them, at one time or another in the past year.

Preacher had to admit that the boys were mostly a good bunch, especially compared to some of those he'd run with.

Heyes was giving orders as he glanced round him.  “All right, Lobo! Tell the bunkhouse we're gonna break out the good stuff after we get the money sorted out. Tell everyone they done good!”

“Sure thing Heyes...” Lobo waving briefly at Preacher, headed to the bunkhouse to share the good news as Heyes turned to the other two men.

“Pete, Frenchie, go sort the horses out, then you're done and we can celebrate.”

Preacher could tell, Heyes; mind wasn't really on what he was saying as his eyes roamed restlessly round him, definitely looking for something, though Preacher knew very well it was actually a someone he was searching for.  His gaze turned a little worried as he didn't see who he was looking for, obviously expecting to have seen him quickly appear on his return.

Preacher stashed his flask as Heyes dismounted and handed his horse over to Frenchie, then he limped over with a smile, as the two men led the horses to be brushed down and fed. Heyes stared at him and sensing the tension in his leader, Preacher waved behind him to the bunkhouse and attached cabin.  “Kid and the rest of the boys got back 'bout an hour ago.”

Preacher glancing up at Heyes, caught the look of relief cross his face, before it was quickly hidden and replaced by his usual innocent smile, that didn't quite hide the slight worry still in his eyes, as he asked  casually. “He...they all right, any problems?” As if he wasn't concerned about the answer, though it was clear to Preacher that it meant a lot.

Preacher knew their two leaders were as tight as brothers and he was glad to be able to reassure the man.“Yeah, Wheat said there weren't no trouble. They all seemed  real cheerful, cept Kid was complainin' 'bout the dust. He helped the men tend to the horses, rode out to make sure weren't no trouble comin', then said somethin' to Kyle before tellin' the rest of us not to fuss him less there's an emergency for at least thirty minutes.” He paused and laughed, before adding. “Ain't like none of us was gonna argue with him.”

Heyes' expression cleared totally then and the smile turned genuine. “He in the leader's cabin?”

“Sure is, Heyes, I'm figurin' he's splashin' bout in that bath I saw Kyle and Mick strugglin' with just before you got back.”

“Tell the boys we'll divide the money in about an hour.”

“Sure thing, Heyes.”

XXX

Heyes stood outside the cabin and smiled, today had been a good day. $26,000 dollars cash and they'd got clean away. Set them up nice and easy for winter. He knocked on the door with the signal knock he and the Kid had sneakily devised in Valpo to avoid beatings,least the best they could, and still used now, often to save too many embarrassing moments, but sometimes like now, to simply signal "It's me!"

He was met by a happy Kid, chest deep in soapy water, enthusiastically scrubbing himself, with a huge grin on his face, and a glass of whiskey and cigar on a small table next to him.

Water was spilling onto the wooden floor and Heyes shook his head in amusement, as his partner turned to him, with a wink, the smile still on his face, and asked. “Any problems?”

Heyes returned the grin and began to unbuckle his gun-belt. “Not a one, Kid, well whatcha expect with me in charge of the plannin'?”

Kid paused in his enthusiastic washing and laughed. “Well, you woke me up enough times addin' to it and the boys likely could recite the plan in their sleep. They were sure getting' tired of listenin' to you repeat yourself, my ears were 'bout ringin' from them complainin' 'bout how many times you made them go through what you expected them to do.”

Heyes laughed. “Bet they ain't complainin' about their share of 26,000 dollars and the fact that everyone is back, safe and sound!”

Kid laughed again, as he nodded in cheerful agreement. “Guess you got a point there Heyes.” He then returned to his splashing, as Heyes sat on the bed to look at the bags full of money in some pleasure. He took a handful of notes out and sniffed them with a huge smile gracing his face, before saying. “I love the feel and smell of freshly stolen money.” He put the notes up to his ear as he riffled through them, “I'm sure I can hear it talkin' to me!”

Kid snorted at that, as he stopped washing his feet, to look up and meet Heyes' gaze, with a small shake of his head. “You're a little strange Heyes, you know that?”

But there was no heat in his words and Heyes couldn't help but laugh out loud. The buzz of adrenalin was fading now, slowly being replaced by the pleasure of a job well done. And as he looked into the affectionate amused expression of his partner,  now with a cigar clamped between his teeth and a glass of rye in his hand, he couldn't think of anywhere else he'd rather be.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Last edited by rachel_74_1 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Penski, Dan Ker and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Kattayl

PostSubject: A Sneaky Signal   November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 4:23 pm

November 2022 Challenge
By Kattayl

“Wheat, tell me again, what the sneaky signal means.”  With a befuddled look on his face, Kyle Murtry looked at his partner riding next to him.  

“Nothing sneaky about it.  The beauty of my plan is that it is obvious.”  Wheat held his head high, proud of himself.

“Thought this were Heyes’ plan.”

“Ahrump.  This part of it is mine.  Heyes said to watch for cheating and, when I saw it, send you out the front door.  The sign is my idea.”

“What if you’re just touchin’ your nose ‘cause it itches?”

“I’ll only touch my nose when it’s the sign.”

“But what if it does itch?”

“I’ll ignore it.”

“That’s hard to do, Wheat.  And what do I do, again, when you touch your nose?”

“When you see me give you the signal, you leave.”

“Leave?”  

“Yeah, you fold your cards, cash out your chips, and leave out the front door.”

“'Cause you’re gonna cheat?”

“No, I explained this to you.  If I give you the sign, then the person Heyes has me watching in the game is cheating.”

“But it ain’t you or I that’s cheatin’, right?  Heyes taught me to play without cheatin’.  Said if I do it his way I don’t need to cheat.”

“Er…that’s right.  Heyes learned not to cheat from me, Kyle.”

“And we don’t want to play in a game where there’s cheatin’.  ‘Cause cheatin’ can lead to guns and guns can lead to sheriffs.”

“All we’re going to do is relax and play a fair game of poker.  And I’ll watch for the cheatin’.  Heyes’ plan starts when I see cheatin’ and you go out the front door.”  Wheat nodded at his partner.  Kyle was loyal but often missed the point.

They rode in silence until they could see the town up ahead.

“Wheat, what if you touch your nose with your bandana, like you are blowin’ it, does that count as your sneaky sign?”

“No, when I touch my nose with my finger.”

Kyle tried to remember what he was supposed to do when he got the signal.  “I leave the table or leave the saloon?”

Wheat looked away to disguise his impatience.  “The saloon.  That’s the signal for Heyes to get Miss Jeannette to tell the sheriff and have him come to the saloon and arrest the man cheatin’.”

“Because the sheriff knows Heyes and the Kid?  Another sneaky signal.”

“The signals ain’t sneaky.  The sheriff don’t know the Kid and Heyes, they got other things to do.  Heyes played with these men last night.  Two of them are cheats.  He told me which ones and I’m going watch them close.  Then give you the sign.”

“The sign to leave out the front door.”

“Yes, and when the sheriff is over here, Heyes and the Kid are going into his jail and get Preacher and Hank out of there.  So I got to be sure the man’s cheating to keep the sheriff here for at least four minutes.  Understand?”

“No, but I understand what I needs to do.  When you touch your nose, I cash out, and leave the saloon.”

“That’s all you need to do.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Hannibal Heyes was frustrated.  “How?  How could this happen?  We’re back where we started.”

Hank passed him an open whiskey bottle.  They were sitting around a campfire with the rescued members of the Devil’s Hole Gang, Preacher and Hank.  Kyle was pacing in back of them.  

“Sorry, Heyes.  Was my fault Wheat ended up in jail.”  Kyle was contrite.

“Tell me what happened, Kyle.  All you needed to do was walk out of the saloon when Wheat saw one of the men cheating.”  The whiskey had calmed Heyes’ anger some, but his frustration was still apparent.  

Preacher took pity on Kyle.  “It was a good plan, Heyes.  Each step was simple and it worked.  Hank and me is free.”

“But Wheat’s in jail,” Heyes said with finality.

“For cheatin’ at cards.  Wheat don’t cheat.”  Kyle was sure of that.  

Kyle sat down around the campfire as far away from Heyes as he could.  Heyes leaned forward to speak to him.  “What happened, Kyle?” he demanded this time.

“Well, we was playin’ cards and Wheat he was watchin’ for them men cheatin’ and I was waitin’ for him to give me the sneaky signal.”

Heyes looked at Kyle.  “The sneaky signal?

“Yeah, this.”  Kyle put his finger to the side of his nose.  “That means he sees someone cheatin’.”

Heyes looked at Preacher, who was stifling a laugh.  “And?”

“Well, he said we wouldn’t touch his nose no matter what, even if it were itchin’.  So, when he touched his nose, I thought it was the sneaky signal, so I folded my hand, cashed in my chips, and left the saloon.

“Wheat started yellin’, “It was a fly, just a fly.”  I didn’t know what he meant, but a fly had landed on his nose, and he had brushed it off.  It weren’t the signal.  And you know the rest.  The sheriff came.  Wheat pointed out to him the two men who you had said were cheatin’.  But he hadn’t seen them doin’ it so he couldn’t tell the sheriff how he knew.  And those men, didn’t they say right back that Wheat was cheatin’ because he dropped his cards when he was a yellin’ about the fly.  And they, both of them, said Wheat was the one cheatin’.

“So, you got Preacher and Hank out, but the sheriff he done locked Wheat up for cheatin’.”

Heyes sighed, took another drink from the bottle, then put his head in his hands.

All the others passed around another bottle and watched.  Heyes did not move until they heard the sound of horses approaching.  Hank drew his gun, but it wasn’t needed.  Curry arrived with Wheat following.  

“Paid his fine.”  Curry took a bottle of his own out of his saddle bag.  “Wheat owes me fifty dollars.”

Upset, Wheat walked over and pulled Kyle to his feet.  “It was a fly, Kyle, not the signal.  Just a fly.”

“Well, we didn’t talk about what if a fly landed on your nose, Wheat.  You mad at me?  We still partners?”

Kyle sounded so sincere and so downtrodden that Wheat just nodded.  “Partners.”.

Kyle sighed in relief.  “Wheat, please no more complicated sneaky signals.”

Penski and Dan Ker like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: November 22 - A Sneaky Signal    November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2022 9:41 pm

phew... I almost didn't get this challenge written in time.

Kid Curry rode into the town of Oak Ridge in the wee hours of the morning when the only establishments open were a few saloons and they were quieting down. He led a saddled horse down the middle of town noting the alleys and locations of businesses, paying particular attention to the jail. He dismounted a few buildings away from the sheriff’s office, tied the horses to a hitching post, and stealthily walked in the darkness to the barred openings. With his back against the wall, he quickly craned his neck to glance in the front window and then disappeared back into the shadows.

He untied the gelding and led it to the back of the jail, tying it to a small tree. Fishing in his pocket, he retrieved a lock pick and quietly approached the lone barred opening. He tapped the pick against a bar and placed it on the ledge before hurrying away down the alley to his horse.

Hannibal Heyes laid on the uncomfortable cot with his arm covering his eyes. He heard a faint clinking sound of metal against metal and smiled. Removing his arm, he glanced at the deputy and saw him sleeping with a dime novel book resting on his chest. Heyes quietly stood up and stretched, watching to see if the movement would wake the deputy. The man snorted, then began to snore. He walked to the high window and reached his hand upwards, patted the ledge and removed the lock pick. A few minutes later, he quietly closed the back door of the jail and hurried to the gelding nearby.

“Over here!” came a loud whisper.

Heyes mounted and reined his horse towards his partner. “Let’s get outta here!”

The two horses walked out of town and then quickened their gait when encouraged by their riders.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The two partners were sitting around a small fire drinking a cup of coffee on a chilly night.

“Heyes, you’re actin’ like you lost your best friend.”

“I did!”

“No, ‘cause I’m still here. It was just your hat and watch.”

“Not JUST a hat – my favorite hat! And you know how sentimental that watch was to me.” Heyes took a sip as he stared at the fire. “I’m going back for them.”

Curry sighed. “You’re crazy as a loon, you know.”

The Kid received “the look”.

“You don’t have to go.”

“Yeah, I do. Someone has to watch your back and the sheriff knows you.”

“Thanks, Kid.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“How do I look?” Heyes turned around for inspection.

“Like my partner with a beard.”

Heyes unbuttoned his shirt from the top halfway and stuffed some clothes inside. He buttoned his shirt back up. “What about now?”

“Lookin’ different.” Curry cocked his head and eyed him critically. “How about wearin’ glasses and oilin’ your hair back, too?”

“Good idea.” Heyes removed the clothing. “Let’s head back.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry camped in a grove of trees near Oak Ridge.

“I’ll stay here and perfect my disguise while you go into town and see if you can find out where my hat and watch are.”

The Kid grinned. “I like that plan.”

“Don’t stay out too long.”

Curry scowled. “You tellin' me how to do my job?”

“No! Just want to hear what you find out sooner than later.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Did you find out anything?” Heyes handed a cup of coffee to his partner.

“Sure did.” He took a sip.

“Well?”

“The sheriff kept your hat and keeps it on a hook in the jail.”

“That makes sense. And the watch?”

“He gave it to his sister, Agnes, who is a widow in town. She lives in a nice house and loves to throw parties. In fact, she’s havin’ one this weekend.”

“Perfect! This is one party we’re not gonna miss.”

The Kid grinned. “I knew you’d say that.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Thaddeus Jones, dressed in his grey suit, entered the party with his partner, Joshua Smith, an overweight, bearded man with slicked back hair and glasses.

Curry smiled as they walked over to the buffet. “Looks like you’ll be over by the food table, Mr. Smith.”

“Ha, ha. Very funny.” Heyes looked around the room. “Do you know anything about the layout of the house?”

“I heard her late husband’s office was turned into a music room. Not sure if there’s a safe in the wall.” The Kid picked up a small cucumber sandwich and ate it. “My bet is a beat up old pocket watch won’t be in the safe.”

“Maybe if it belonged to the infamous Hannibal Heyes it would,” Heyes retorted defensively.

“I still doubt Agnes would see it worthy to be in a safe. These little sandwiches are tasty.” Curry licked his fingers. “My bet is in her bedroom.”

“I guess I’ll check it out first. Probably the front bedroom.” Heyes popped a sandwich in his mouth. “Do you know who our hostess is?”

“Yeah. That older lady over there in the pink dress.”

Heyes grinned. “Have fun distracting her.”

“You just hurry and get what you’re lookin’ for and leave me to distract the lady.”

“Once I find my watch, I’ll raise a glass in the air as in a toast and then leave.”

“A glass of what?”

“I don’t know. Punch or champagne or wine – whatever I can get a glass of.”

“Just make sure I see your signal before you leave.”

“I will make sure you see it, Kid.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Curry approached a middle-aged lady in a pink dress with a glass of punch. “Mrs. Wilton?”

“Yes?”

“From across the room, you looked like you could use a drink of punch.”

“Why, thank you, young man. I appreciate it.” Mrs. Wilton took the proffered cup and took a few sips. “That is just what I needed.” She smiled as she looked him over. “Do I know you?”

“Mr. Jones, ma’am. Thaddeus Jones.”

“Are you new in town? I certainly would have noted before if such a strong and handsome gentleman was in Oak Ridge.”

Curry blushed. “I’m actually passing through, but everyone was talking about the wonderful parties you put on. I was assured that I would be welcome – everyone is welcomed. But if not, I beg your pardon…” He turned to take leave.

“No, no, please do stay. Of course, you are welcome.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

“And did I disappoint?”

“Ma’am?”

“You may call me Agnes. So, did I throw a wonderful party?”

“Absolutely, Agnes. And please call me Thaddeus.”

“Thaddeus… What a lovely name.”

“Not half as lovely as you, Agnes.”

“Oh, how you flatter me… Continue!”

“Is there a Mr. Wilton?”

“Sadly, he departed from this earth a few years ago. However, he left me not wanting in my widowhood.”

“Wise man to watch out for his wife.”

“He was wise and kind.” Agnes took another sip. “What brought you to Oak Ridge, Thaddeus?”

“Lookin’ for work like many men my age.”

“And what kind of work do you do?”

“Just about anything, however, I’m not partial to cattle drives, especially being a drover where all the dust it.”

“I can imagine that would be a horrid job.”

Curry looked around the room. “I should not be taking all of your time during your party.”

“But the music is starting soon, and I so hoped you would ask me to dance.” She fluttered her eyelashes and gave him a coquettish smile.

As if on cue, the musicians began playing.

“It would be my pleasure, Agnes. May I?” He took the cup from her hand and placed it on a table. He cocked his head as he waited for Agnes to acknowledge her permission.

“You may.” Agnes put one hand on his shoulder and held out the other.

Kid Curry took her hand and began to whirl her around the room.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes blended with the others as they went up and down the stairs, but ducked into a hallway and made his way to a bedroom in the front of the house. Looking both ways, he opened the door and slid inside a flowery wallpapered room.

“This has to be it,” he muttered. “Now where would she put my pocket watch…”

Heyes hurriedly checked her jewelry box first, then the decorative boxes on her dresser and small drawers on her bed side tables. He opened the armoire to a colorful collection of larger size dresses. He then opened the drawers of her dresser and blushed as he rifled through corsets, bloomers, drawers, and petticoats.

“Where is it?” he snapped in frustration. He looked around the room again and noticed a ivory carved box on a bottom shelf of a table. Opening it up, Heyes grinned.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry waltzed Agnes around the room, always keeping his eyes facing towards the staircase and buffet table nearby. After a twirl, he was greeted by his partner with a smug look on his face holding up a champagne glass. Curry gave a imperceptible nod and Heyes drank the champagne before heading out the door.

“Phew… Agnes, I think you’ve about worn me out. I really do need some fresh air and a rest. Now if you’ll forgive me…”

Agnes was flushed as well from the exertion. “Yes, I really should attend to my other guests. Thank you for the whirl around the room, Thaddeus. I haven’t danced like that since my dear Homer passed away.”

“The pleasure was all mine.” Curry did a slight bow and quickly left the house. He met his partner under a tree where their horses were tethered. “I take it you found it?”

“I did!” Heyes held the watch up triumphantly, then pocked it before he removed the padding and glasses. “One down and one to go.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry cautiously made their way down a quiet Main Street. The Kid grabbed Heyes’ arm and pulled him into an alley. “Deputy.” He pointed to a figure checking the shops’ doors.

“Perfect timing! He’s making his rounds so I can grab the hat and we can get outta here.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Agnes sat in her brother’s office. “I don’t know who’d want to steal that worn hat and dented pocket watch.”

“I do,” grumbled her brother, the sheriff. “Hannibal Heyes, that’s who!”

“Hannibal Heyes was touching my drawers? Oh my!”

Gemhenry and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 22 - A Sneaky Signal    November 22 - A Sneaky Signal   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

November 22 - A Sneaky Signal
Page 1 of 1