Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

November 2018 - Fragile

Go down 
+3
RosieAnnie
Penski
Calico
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

November 2018 - Fragile  Empty
PostSubject: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 am

Hello peeps

Late - but here.

Your challenge for the cold and bleak month of November is...

Fragile

Which is a suggestion from one of you lovely ladies.   Suggestions for the List [pom, pom, pooooom, ]   are always welcome :)

(BTW - I am not feeling fragile at the moment ... but I am feeling work harassed  cattail cattail  chasing my tail!!)
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey, I'm first outta the gate instead of the last one!

Fra-gile

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry rode into town looking nonchalant, however, they were cautiously checking out the townsfolks and the sheriff.  As they went by the jail they nodded when the sheriff tipped his hat at them.

“He don’t look familiar, does he?” Curry asked quietly.

“Nope.  And more important, he don’t seem to know us.”  Heyes smiled.  “How about I send Lom a telegraph while you take the horses to the livery.  We can meet at the hotel and get a room before getting a drink.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

A little bell sounded when Heyes walked into the Western Union building.  An older man came out from a back room, wiping his hands on a napkin.  “How can I help you?”

“I’d like to send a telegram.”

“Sure.  Can you write?”

“Yes, sir.”

The man handed him a small piece of paper and a pencil.  “Write down you message, including who it’s going to.

Heyes licked the tip of the pencil and began to write:

To Lom Trevors
Porterville, WY

In Harristown.  How’s our mutual friend?

J Smith

The man took the paper and pencil from Heyes.  “That’ll be ten cents.”

Heyes took a coin out of his pocket and gave it to the man.  “I’ll be at the hotel if there’s a response.”

The man nodded as he began tapping out the message.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and the Kid came back into the hotel from a meal and drink at the saloon and started heading up the stairs.

“Mr. Smith?”

Heyes turned.  “Yes.”

“A telegram came in for you, sir.”

“Thanks.”  Heyes went to the desk and read the telegram while slowly walking back to the stairs.

“From Lom?” Curry asked.

“Yep.  Looks like we’re staying only for the night.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes looked through his binoculars at a deserted cabin.

“Well?” the Kid asked.

“I only see Lom’s horse.  Looks okay to go down.”

“Never can be too careful.”  Curry handed the reins back to Heyes after he put his field glasses away in the saddle bag.

“Nope.”

They guardedly rode down a small incline towards the cabin.  When Trevor’s horse whinnied at the new arrivals, Lom came out.

“Heyes.  Kid.  Glad you came so quick.”

“You said it was important,” Heyes commented.

“And not about our amnesty,” Curry added.

“Speaking of your amnesty…”

“The governor has another job for us,” the Kid bemoaned.  

Heyes scowled.  “What is it this time?”

“It seems the Devil’s Hole Gang held up a train…”  Lom put up his hand to silence them.  “I know it wasn’t you.  Wheat and the gang took something valuable and the federal government wants it back.”

“The federal government?  What did they take?” Heyes asked.

“A Chinese urn from the Ming dynasty, dated back to 1600’s.  It’s priceless and the federal government is embarrassed that they lost it.”

“An old vase?” Curry confirmed.  “That don’t sound like something the boys would even take.  Can’t get no money from it.”

“Unless they’re holding it for ransom,” Heyes added.  “Has the gang asked for ransom money for the vase?”

“No,” Trevors said.  “I don’t see how they would know it was a valuable artifact.  It was just in a crate marked ‘Fragile” with a lot of padding around it.”

“Hmm… No, it don’t sound like they knew what they were taking.  So, what do you want us to do about it?”

“Go to Devil’s Hole and get it back.”

“Wait, YOU want us to go back to the Hole and retrieves this vase?” Curry asked incredulously.

“The urn.  You two can get back in there and get it.  It’s worth a lot to the governor if he can present it to the proper officials.”

Heyes sighed.  “We’ll go see if we can get the urn back.”

Trevors looked relieved.  “Be careful… It’s fragile.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I’ll do it since I know I’ll be cleanin’ my gun this afternoon.”  Kid Curry took out his gun and fired three shots into the air at the entrance of the Hole.  “Think they have the same system in place?”

“They did when I brought Clara Phillips here.”

Kyle came from behind a large boulder.  “I told you it was them, Lobo.  Howdy, Heyes and Kid!  What you doin’ here?”

Howdy, Kyle and Lobo.”  Heyes smiled.  “We were wondering if we could hole up for a few days, for old time sake.”  

Kyle and Lobo looked at each other before Kyle spoke up.  “Well, I guess that’s okay.  Wheat’ll sure be surprised.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“What are you two doin’ here?”  Wheat came storming out of his cabin.

“Hi to you, too, Wheat,” Kid Curry said sarcastically.

“Well?”

“Don’t worry none – we aren’t staying.  Just need a place to rest for a few days and then we’ll be on our way.”

“Just a few days?”

“Yep.”

“Do you bring a posse to our doorstep?”

“No.  We lost a bounty hunter about…”  Heyes turned and looked at the Kid.  “Three days ago?”

“About that.”

“Like I said, we just want to rest up some before we leave.”

“Well, I guess that’s okay, but just for a few days.”

“Just for a few days,” Heyes confirmed.

“You can sleep in the bunkhouse with the rest of the boys.”  Wheat smiled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kyle led Heyes and the Kid into the bunkhouse.  “That bunk at the end is empty.  You can stay there.”

“Thanks, Kyle.”  Curry walked over to the bed.  “Top or bottom?”

“I’ll take the top.”

The Kid nodded and put his saddlebags under the bed.  He sat down.  “Better than the ground.”

Hardcase came into the bunkhouse.  “I heard you were back!  Are you stayin’?”

Heyes shook his head.  “No.  Just staying for a few days.”

“Well, you’re gonna play poker with us today, aren’t you?”

Heyes grinned.  “Your cards or mine?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

That evening, Wheat and the gang played poker in the bunkhouse with Heyes and the Kid.  A bottle of whiskey sat on the table and the men were smoking cigars.

“I’ll raise you two bits,” Lobo said.

“I’ll see you and raise you two more.”  Heyes puffed on his cigar.

Kyle looked at his cards again.  “I fold.”

Hardcase growled, “Me, too.”

Curry threw down his cards.  “I fold.  Think I’ll go outside and stretch.”  He made eye contact with his partner.

Heyes got the message.  “I’m gonna play out this hand and take a quick break myself.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry stood by the corral stroking his gelding’s neck.  “That was a long hand.”

Heyes joined him.  “How’d you know it was me?”

“Years of practice.”  Curry put a foot of the bottom rail at the same time Heyes did.  “Did you see it?”

“The vase?  No, where is it?”

“In the corner.  Appears they’re usin’ it as a spittoon.”

“A what?”  Heyes closed his eyes and shook his head.  “Just don’t tell Lom or the governor.”

“How do you want to play this?”

Heyes thought a moment.  “Casually notice it and follow my lead.”

“Okay.”

“A Chinese artifact for a spittoon…”  Heyes mumbled as he put his arm around his partner’s shoulders.  “Let’s get back in there.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The poker game resumed when Heyes and Curry came back inside.

Wheat shuffled the cards.  “Five card stud?”

“Sure,” others around the table agreed so Wheat dealt five cards to everyone.

“How many?” the dealer asked once the men had time to look at their hand.

“Two.”

“One.

“Four.”

“Four, Kyle?” Wheat asked incredulously.

“Well, I can’t help it if you give me bad cards, can I?” Kyle whined.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

After several hands, the Kid folded and casually looked around the room.  “Where’d you get that vase in the corner?”

“Vase?” Kyle asked and looked in the same direction.  “Oh, you mean my new spittoon?”

“Yeah.  Where’d you say you got it?”

“Didn’t, but it was a train robbery near Clarksburg.  It was all wrapped up in a wooden box marked FRA-GILE.”

Heyes looked up from his cards.  “Kid, you know who’d love that vase?”

“Clem?”

“That’s what I was thinking.”  Heyes shuffled the deck of cards and passed them out.  “Kyle, would you be willing to sell it to us?”

“My spittoon?  Then what would I use?”

“What you used before that?” Curry ventured.

Kyle thought for a moment.  “Nah, I kinda like my spittoon.  Did you see the dragon on it?

“Suit yourself,” Heyes replied and began the game.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Several more hands…

“I’ll raise you five dollars,” Curry started the bidding.

“Five?!  I don’t have five and…”  Kyle looked down right depressed.

“My offer still stands, Kyle.  I’ll but the vase and you can stay in the game.”  Heyes tapped the ashes off the tip of his cigar.

Kyle pondered.

Wheat sighed.  “What’s it gonna be, Kyle?  Are you sellin’ the vase or droppin’ outta the game?”

“I guess I’ll sell my spittoon, but I want ten dollars for it.”

“Hmm… I don’t know.  Is Clem worth it, Kid?” Heyes asked.

“Well, she did try to blackmail us.”

“True, but she covered for us in Santa Marta pretending to be married to you.”

“You married Clem, Kid?” Kyle asked.

“No, Kyle.  We PRETENDED to be married as a cover.”

“Oh.”

“Are we gonna finish this hand?” Wheat asked, exasperated.

Heyes tossed two silver Eagles towards Kyle.  “There you go.”

“Thanks, Heyes.  The spittoon is all yours.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Kid Curry were cinching their saddles and tying down their saddle bags and bedrolls.

“Sure you don’t wanna be part of the gang for our next heist that I’m plannin’?  I heard of a $5,000 payroll.  Wheat puffed up.  “Of course, I’ll be the leader this time.

Heyes shook his head.  “Thanks for the offer, Wheat, but going straight has become a habit, isn’t it, Kid.

“Sure has, Heyes.”  Curry untied the reins from the hitching post.  “You got your ten-dollar spittoon?”

“Hey, it’s a vase and a gift to Clem for having to put up with us.”

The Kid mounted.  “Hope you cleaned it good.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry and Heyes were at a creek cleaning the Chinese artifact.

“Ugh, this is gross!” the Kid commented.

“Only Kyle would use a 17th century Ming dynasty urn as a spittoon,” Heyes grumbled.

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 am

Seth Green groaned when he heard the knock on the door. He knew that knock. He put his papers down, folded his hands and took a deep breath. “Come in.”

The door opened, revealing the formidable bulk of Miss Griswold. Five feet tall and five feet wide, she filled the doorway.

“Mr. Green, I must speak to you. That boy – “

He held up one hand to silence her.

“If there’s an issue with a boy you wish to discuss, you know it must be confidential. Please close the door behind you.” She bit her lip in frustration, but complied.

"Will you sit down? And then you can tell me, slowly and calmly, what’s got you so upset.”

“I am not upset! I am frustrated. There is a difference, you know.” She pushed two chairs together and sat down across both. There was an audible protest from the chairs. She ignored the sound and rearranged her voluminous skirts, ignorant of her imminent peril.

“Of course,” he soothed. “What’s frustrating you?”

“These boys!” she fumed. “We took them in when nobody else would. And after all we do for them, providing a roof over their heads, providing education, providing everything. What do I get in return? Not respect, not gratitude. I expect better.”

She didn’t notice his eyes narrow, or the harder tone in his voice. “I’m glad you said that, Miss Griswold, because now I understand the root of the problem you’ve been having here. You say, we don’t have to take in these orphans. As Christians, we do have to take in the orphan, house him, feed him, and clothe him. Our Lord does not command the recipient of our duty to say thank you.”

“No one can say I am anything less than a committed Christian, Mr. Green! Have I not served Valparaiso for ten years now? And I have certainly not been enriched in the process! No, rather, I am frustrated by the un-Christian behavior of some of these boys. They do not realize how good they have it here.”

“Why should they? They are orphans. They had it good with their parents. No matter what we provide for them at Valparaiso, it can never equal what they have lost. They aren’t grateful. They are angry. They feel cheated. They may even believe that God has abandoned them. You and I know that is not true, but they are children, and we are adults.”

“Well. I suppose. I see your point. But at the least, they can comply with the rules.” She leaned forward towards him, her bosom straining against the fabric of her dress. Seth caught himself inadvertently looking at the fascinating struggle of flesh against fabric and forced himself to look her directly in her face.

“What do you expect, Miss Griswold? What do you want from these boys that you don’t think you’re getting now?”

“A little respect. Not being challenged when I ask them to do some little thing, like clean up after themselves. Or when we ask them to do simple tasks, simple upkeep, so that they can eat, or that the building doesn’t fall down around their ears.”

He sighed. “That does sound reasonable on the face of it. But we are living in unreasonable times. The war has created more orphans than we can accommodate. The demands on us are greater than our resources. You know that as well as I do, since, as you say, you’ve been employed here for ten years. Many of the children we admit are damaged by the terrible things they’ve seen since the fighting began back in the ‘50’s. We put them in bunkhouses, feed them donated food, stuff them into overcrowded classrooms, and in turn, expect them to study hard, perform chores cheerfully, and to be happy and grateful for all these gifts they never wanted. Is that logical?”

Seth watched her grind her teeth. She didn’t look any less frustrated. In fact, she looked more frustrated. Well done, he told himself. You’ve let off some steam, and now, she’s built up her own head of steam. He decided to switch tactics before she threw his own inkwell at him.

“But you didn’t come here today because of the general unsatisfying situation we all must endure. Is there a particular incident, or student, that has aroused your ire today?”

“The usual one. I just don’t know what to do with him, Mr. Green. I’ve tried paddling and detention. I’ve given him extra tasks, made him skip meals, and nothing gets through to him. He is incorrigible.”

“Ah. The Heyes boy. What’s he done this time?”

“He broke into Mr. Gridley’s desk and found the mathematics final in the drawer. He then copied all the answers, and he’s been selling them to other students.”

Seth was curious. “Selling them for what? The boys don’t have any money.”

“Food, or favors. For example, he’ll give a boy the answer key in exchange for his turn washing dishes. That sort of thing.”

“I’m curious. How did he get the test in the first place? Mr. Gridley’s desk has a lock.”

“He picked the lock.”

A look of doubt crossed Seth’s face. “No, really,” she insisted. “He knows how to pick locks.”

“How would he know that? His father was a farmer, not a locksmith.”

“I don’t know how he knows, but he knows.” Now her voice became more firm. “You can ask him yourself. Either somebody showed him, or he figured it out for himself. He’s very clever, you know.”

“Alright. Let’s agree that he got into the drawer, but not about how. It could have been left unlocked, you know. Did anyone see him pick the lock?”

“No. But it had to be him.”

“For me to accuse him of theft, I need better proof than ‘it had to be him’. There are 150 boys here.”

“Alright,” she admitted grudgingly. “But I know he gave the answers to that little friend of his, the Curry boy. As you know, the Curry boy is not clever at all. He never saw a test he couldn’t fail in some spectacular fashion. And suddenly, he did well on a mathematics test.”

“Maybe Heyes tutored him. I’ve seen his grades, and he does very well in math. And the boys are close friends, I’m told.”

She looked at him with pity. “Mr. Green, sometimes I think you are just too good for this world. You do try to see the best in everybody, don’t you? Just don’t let that blind you to facts.”

“Let’s look for more facts, then, because I’m not going to accuse any boy without cause. Did any boy tell you, or another adult, that Heyes had offered to sell him the mathematics test?”

“No. But Mr. Gridley found him in the room, after class ended, when he had no reason to be there.”

“How did that happen?”

“Mr. Gridley left his good pen on the desk. When he realized, he went back to get it. It wasn’t ten minutes since class had ended, and Heyes was still there.”

“Doing what?”

“Sitting on the desk, seemingly just looking out a window. Mr. Gridley told him to go back to the residence hall and make sure his chores and homework got done.”

“And then what happened?”

“Mr. Gridley got his pen, and then he wondered, what was the boy doing there, really? He checked his desk, and the drawer was unlocked. He saw that the mathematics test was there, but the papers were out of order, so he knew someone had been there, but wasn’t sure any damage had been done. Not until the test was given, and then he knew.”

“I see. Circumstantial evidence, no smoking gun. Have I got that right?”

Miss Griswold glared as hard as she dared at a male supervisor. “I suppose so,” she grunted. “He’s too clever to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar.”

“I suppose so. And you want me to talk to him, do you?”

“Of course! I hope you will put the fear of God into him. Nothing has made an impression, as I’ve told you. You’re the superintendent of this orphanage. You need to get tough with him.”

“That’s already been tried, hasn’t it? He’s been paddled. He’s been denied food, denied privileges. You told me the previous administrator even locked him in a wardrobe overnight to ‘teach him a lesson,’ didn’t you? What kind of lesson that’s supposed to teach a vulnerable child, I don’t know.”

“He’s a tough boy. He requires a strong hand to set him on the proper course of behavior.”

Seth looked away for a moment, wondering if he could ever get through to this woman.

“Miss Griswold, I don’t believe he’s tough, anymore than I believe most of the boys here are tough. In fact, I think he’s fragile. He’s been broken by his losses, by the things he’s seen that no child should ever see, and he’s acting out. He doesn’t have the tools to do anything else. The inappropriate corporal punishment he’s received here has only caused him to rebel more.”

She pushed herself to her feet. The chairs seemed to sign with relief. “Mr. Green, I say this with all due respect; you are new to this job. You don’t know these boys as well as the staff do.”

“No, I don’t. That’s my advantage. I assume you have him waiting in the hallway?”

“Of course, Mr. Green. I’m nothing if not efficient.”

“Give me five minutes to review the files. Then you may bring him in.”

“Of course.” Alone, Seth pulled the files on the two boys and reviewed them quickly. When he heard the knock on the door, he was ready.

“Please come in.” The boy entered hesitantly but closed the door behind him quietly. “Please sit down, Hannibal. I need quick moment to organize my paperwork, and then we can talk.” The boy settled himself lightly on a chair. Seth aimlessly moved papers around on his desk while surreptitiously studying his guest.

Hannibal Heyes didn’t look like a major threat to the proper running order of the Valparaiso Home for Waywards. He looked like a typical skinny 14-year-old boy who was lurching into manhood by fits and starts. On closer examination, Seth noted the large dark wary eyes that observed and filed away everything they saw. They were the eyes of a wounded animal. Not much different than so many of Valparaiso’s boys, but this child-man was known by everyone to be unusually intelligent and much too cunning for his age.

Seth clasped his hands on top of his papers and gave the boy a reassuring smile. “Do you know why I wanted to see you, Hannibal?”

The boy shrugged. “I must be in some sort of trouble, except I don’t know what kind. I ain’t done anything wrong.”

“Haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Haven’t.”

“No, that’s not it. I asked you here because a younger boy might be in trouble, and I wanted to see if you could help him. I’m hoping that you and I can have a good give and take on this problem.” Seth smiled at the surprised expression that passed over the boy’s expressive face. “Would you be willing to consider doing that?”

“Yes, sir. Sure.”

“Good. I knew I could rely on you. You’re already fourteen, right?” A nod. “Young to me, of course, but old enough to accept some adult responsibilities. Part of that is setting an example for younger boys. Does that make sense to you?”

“Yes, sir.”

Seth steepled his fingers. “How is your friend Jed Curry doing with his studies?”

“He does alright, sir.”

“Not according to his file, which I read before you came in. He’s not doing very well at all.”

“Why’d you ask me, if you already knew the answer?”

“I wanted to get your perspective.” Seth could almost see Heyes’ consider the new word, discern the meaning, and then file it away. “You are his friend, aren’t you?” Heyes nodded, almost imperceptibly. Like a hunted animal, suspicious of everything, completely untrusting.

“Jed has not had a stellar academic record. Yet on the last mathematics test, he did better than he’d ever done before. So did two of the other boys who’ve not done well to date. Mr. Gridley is wondering how that’s possible.”

Heyes almost snorted with contempt. “It sure ain’t got anything to do with Mr. Gridley. He don’t care if anybody fails or passes, so long as he’s getting paid to write on the blackboard for an hour and drill the multiplication tables.”

“If it’s not Mr. Gridley helping Jed and the other boys improve, then who?”

“I couldn’t say, sir.”

“What would you say if you could say?”

The boy smiled.

“You know what Mr. Gridley thinks?”

“Mr. Green, if Mr. Gridley thinks anything, that’s news to me. He’s numb as a box of rocks.”

“You’re not afraid of me, are you?”

Heyes shrugged. “I figure you can’t do me worse than the others who sat in that chair. Besides, you said you wanted to have a give and take with me, didn’t you? I’m only doing what you asked for.”

Seth smiled in return, refusing to take the bait. “I did say that, didn’t I? I hope you’ll continue to be frank with me. Not everyone is, you know.” A nod.

“You’re doing very well in that class. He must be teaching you well.”

The boy’s big brown eyes narrowed in anger. “He ain’t taught me nothing. I just take the books and work through the problems myself. I don’t need him for that.”

Seth was intrigued. “All of the math books?” Heyes nodded. “By yourself? How did you do that? And more importantly, why?”

Heyes shrugged nonchalantly. “I got bored sitting in class, so I just kept working the problems so I didn’t start snoring and get in trouble. Mr. Gridley don’t care what anyone does, so long as they don’t bother him with a question or talk out of turn or snore too loud.”

“I see.” He looked at the boy with new respect. “Do you know what teachers think when a poor student suddenly improves dramatically? That the student has cheated. Maybe the student got a copy of the answer key before the test. He memorizes the answers, and suddenly, he gets an A. It doesn’t make sense otherwise. You see?”

Heyes nodded slowly, cautious again.

“You know what I think? I think somebody may have gotten his hands on the test and shared it with other boys. For whatever reason. Maybe he thought he was helping a friend who’s been struggling. But that’s not helping someone. Not if teachers and administrators like me believe those results are the result of cheating. Do you understand?”

Heyes sat still, tense, waiting. If only Miss Griswold could see this boy now. The tough exterior the boy wore had slipped away, replaced by the fragile child who was waiting for, expecting, punishment. His slender fingers were compressed into fists.

“As you know, I’m new here. I’m not familiar with how these situations have been handled in the past. I’ll ask Mr. Gridley to nullify the results – nullify means, erase them like they never happened – prepare a new test on the same material, and re-test the boys. If they know the material, they’ll do well again. If they did well because somehow, someone provided the test answers to them, they might fail. But at least they’ll do it honestly. How does that sound to you?”

Heyes’ tense body seemed to relax slightly. “That sounds fair enough, sir.”

“I’m glad you agree with me. And, I’m going to require Mr. Gridley, and all the instructors here, to never leave confidential testing material in the classroom. They should take tests home with them, so that test security is ensured. Does that also sound fair to you?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. The only unresolved issue is, how did the test results get to these boys? Any ideas on that?”

“I couldn’t say, sir.” A quick grin crossed the boy’s face and deep dimples appeared. It was a brief glimpse into the cocksure, happy child he’d been before . . . well, before. “And I wouldn’t say, even if I could. Sir.”

“I can’t say, either. I will say that I suspect someone copied the answer key and shared it with other students.”

“And what are you going to do about that, Mr. Green?”

“Had I direct evidence or a witness, I would punish the perpetrator. Because I have neither, I will take no action in this matter beyond what I’ve already told you. However” – the boy’s quick grin froze – “I hope that the thief, whoever he is, realizes that cheating does not help anyone; it only creates more problems. Do you think the thief will understand that?”

“I can’t rightly say what goes on in some person’s mind, sir. If he’s smart, though, I feel pretty sure he’s going to learn from his mistakes.”

“I hope so. It’s best for him, and it’s best for the other boys as well.” Seth stood up. “I’ve enjoyed this little give and take with you, Hannibal. I hope you have as well.”

Heyes got up. Seth could see relief flooding his wiry body. “Yes, sir, I have.”

“And one last thing, Hannibal. You might try tutoring those boys, instead of giving them the answers to the test. Learning is the goal of education after all.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.” Seth looked at the door for a long moment after Heyes had left. He could only hope that the boy would eventually learn that honest effort beat stealing any day of the week. Only time would tell.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Elleree

Elleree

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 pm

This is the Kid centered chapter some of you have been waiting for in my continuation of my story "Lock Smith."

Lock Smith
Chapter 3

Jed ‘Kid’ Curry rode his bay dun mare into town, eyes scanning the street. The town gave no indication of trouble, but that didn’t mean anything. At least Kid didn’t know the marshal named on the sign, and other than a few men outside the saloon, all was quiet. He eyed the drunks as he rode past, but they paid him no mind.

Curry headed for the hotel, knowing it had a livery. He was looking forward to surprising Heyes by being early. If he was honest, he’d admit he was looking forward to seeing Heyes unharmed and safe, period.

Kid stopped in front of the Twisted Briar and walked his horse to the side. The liveryman stepped forward and Curry eyed him.

“’Lo sir,” the young man said, yawning. “Sorry. Can I stable your horse?”

“Evenin’. Don’t they give you a break?” Kid asked.

“Yessir,” he said with a little smile as he started untying the saddlebags. “I’ve been doin’ extra work, so it’s my own fault.”

Kid looked at the smile. “For money or for a girl?”

The young man chuckled and looked less guarded. “A girl. Not that it’s worked...”

He said the last part in such a dejected tone that despite his own somber mood, Kid smiled and said, “Well, if you keep at it, maybe it will.”

The teenager smiled back and handed him the saddlebags. “I can take her now, sir. Need me to get anythin’ for her in the mornin’, sir?”

Kid handed him the reins and threw the saddlebags over a shoulder. “The name’s Thaddeus Jones. My girl here’s a sweetheart, but hoof shy. If you buy her some peppermints, she won’t fuss when you ask her to lift her hoof. Ladies like candy, too, so get yours some while you’re at it,” he said, tipping the boy liberally and giving him enough for the sweets.

“Thanks! You want me to fetch your horse or need help, ask for Daniel. I’m the best in the livery,” he said proudly, then seemed to freeze a little. “Uh, I mean…for my age.”

The young man’s self-assurance dimmed and Kid figured it was because most people didn’t want to hear a boy’s bluster, especially if his skin wasn’t the same color as their own. “Nothin’ wrong with bein’ proud of what you’re good at,” Kid said. “I’ll make sure to ask for you.”  

Daniel beamed as if he’d given him a great compliment so Curry nodded to him as an equal. The seventeen year old threw back his shoulders as he walked the mare to the livery and Kid went up the steps into the hotel.

He looked around carefully. The lobby was nice, if a little shabby, but it was clean and empty save for the clerk. Kid stopped at the desk, glad it was still manned despite the hour.

“Evenin’ sir,” the elderly clerk said with a smile. “Need a reservation?”

“My partner’s already stayin’ at the hotel and took a room for us. His name is Joshua Smith,” Kid said, heading to the register. Blue eyes scanned the pages and he let out a relieved breath when he saw his partner’s scrawl. Heyes arrived safe.

“Ah yes, you must be Mr. Jones,” the elderly clerk said, fetching a key. “Here’s the extra key. You’re in 212, up the stairs and down the hall on the left.”

Curry nodded, signed the register, and took the key.

“Meals’re served from 6 to 6 in our dining room. Need help with your bags?” the friendly gentleman stood on creaky knees and Kid shook his head.

“No, I got them, but thanks,” Curry replied as he picked up his bags and went up the stairs.

He’d tell his partner about his uneasy feeling and they wouldn’t stay as long as they planned. Heyes would rag on him, but they both knew better than to question their instincts about danger.

Kid gave their signal knock and turned the key, opening the door.

It was empty.

There was Heyes’ stuff, but no Heyes.

Kid stared at the room. He dropped his saddlebags and put a hand on the butt of his gun as he looked for a note or signs of a struggle.

Nothing. No sign of anything at all. Grimly, Curry checked his gun, though he knew it was fully loaded. Flipping it back in his holster, he left the room, once more locking it and securing the key.

Don’t overreact, he told himself. Heyes had to be in the saloon. Or the jail. Or he could be at the doctor’s office if he’d gotten into trouble? Kid squashed that thought as he descended the stairs.

“Problem, sir?” the clerk asked a trifle nervously on seeing his expression.

“Mr. Smith didn’t leave a note?”

“No sir,” the clerk said. “If I see him, I’ll say you were lookin’ for him.”

“Thanks,” Kid replied shortly, heading outside for the saloon. After that, he’d case the jail. He’d walk inside only as a last resort.

The bar’s sign was weathered. The faint painted outline of a ripped playing card still showed on the grayed wood, but the words were illegible. The spittoons had been emptied directly outside of the batwings and Kid curled his lip in disgust.

The smell inside was enough to stagger a man, but that wasn’t the reason Kid’s stomach clenched into a cold hard ball. Heyes wasn’t there, either.

Curry’s serious blue eyes scanned the crowd again, as if his partner would materialize, but there was still no Heyes. The men who’d glanced up at his arrival hurriedly looked away, seeing a stern man no one wanted to rile.
They never should have split up. It made for bad luck. Every. Single. Time.

Curry went to the bar. “Bartender, I’m lookin’ for a friend of mine, about my age and height. He’s skinny with dark hair and wears a black hat.”

The bartender noted the hardness in Kid’s eyes, his gun, and the way he carried himself. “Name’s Ned. You gonna call this fella out?”

Kid looked surprised. “No. He’s my partner.”

“A fella like that was here a couple of hours ago playin’ poker with Jackson’s bunch. He was talkin’ with one of my girls, too, but she left early.”

“He was playin’ with ‘Jackson’s bunch’? Mind tellin’ me who Jackson is so I can look him up; see if he knows where my friend’s at?” Kid asked.

“Jethro Jackson’s foreman at the Double Y. It’s south of town, the first small spread.” The bartender clearly didn’t care if he sent trouble in Jethro’s direction.

“Thanks.” Kid debated on asking more. “Know him well?”

“Mister, Jethro’s a mean son of a gun an’ he ain’t the friendly type so nobody knows him well. Doubt he invited your friend over. Might be he needed another hand now, though. You buyin’?”

Kid nodded, putting money on the table. “Why ‘now’?”

Ned took the money. “McKade’s bad livin’ catched him. He owned the Double Y, spent most of his time here an’ the rest at Louella’s place.” The way it was said led Curry to believe it was the local cathouse. “Anyway, he got hisself killed an’ left his wife the spread, but Jackson’s runnin’ it now McKade’s dead. Might be he needed another hand an’ asked your friend.”

Heyes wouldn’t have gone with them without a word by choice, but it gave Kid another place to look, though first he’d sidle by the jail, see if Heyes’ horse was at the livery, and check the doctor’s office.

Curry didn’t ask how McKade died, as he was betting the bartender would tell him more if he wasn’t questioned. Instead, he took a drink and tried to ignore whatever it was stuck on the bottom of the glass. It reminded him of Devil’s Hole and Kyle’s turns at dish duty.

“Yeah that killin’ was big news. Town’s gone to a handcart, if y’ get my meanin’. First, a nice couple gets murdered then McKade was found with a knife in his gullet. If you find your friend, I’d move on. I’d sell the place an’ go, but ain’t no one buyin.’”

“Thanks for the advice,” Kid said, refraining from commenting that maybe if Ned cleaned a few times a year and opened the windows, the chance of a buyer might improve.

A few saloon girls in tattered corsets made eyes at Kid, but he didn’t even notice as he finished his drink. He hoped the killings had nothing to do with whatever Heyes was caught up in, but figured they weren’t that fortunate. With their luck, at the end of it Curry and Heyes would end up being accused of the murders. He could handle even that, so long as Heyes was all right.

Kid Curry stood and walked out of the rank saloon and took a few deep breaths. It wasn’t too often a western street smelled so fresh.

As Curry walked, he was grim and hyper focused. His jaw was tight and his eyes were hard. Though there weren’t many on the street, those that were gave him a wide berth. The aura of danger he generally had was magnified and he was every inch a shootist.

“Just where are you goin’, pretty darlin’?” a man’s voice asked and Mary kept her head down and kept walking, sliding her hand inside her apron.

“My friend asked you a question, girl,” the second man said.

They were at the end of the alley where Mary wanted to exit, but she’d already turned and fled. “Beg pardon, I’m runnin’ a errand,” she murmured. “Got to hurry along.”

“That so?” The taller of the men said, catching up to her in several long strides and blocking her retreat. “Don’t worry. We’ll pay you.”

“I’m a decent woman, sir, not the kind you’re thinkin’,” she said. “Please let me go.”

Mary gripped the gun in her pocket but didn’t meet their eyes.

“Oh just take her, Earl!” His friend jeered. “She’s just playin’ a game.”

Earl grabbed her and made to kiss her but she wrenched away.

“You’ll regret that,” Earl said, pulling out a knife.

Mary brandished her gun, pulled back the hammer, and held it with both hands. “You leave me be.”

“You gonna shoot me?” Earl asked. “Risk a lynchin’?”

“Just leave me be an’ I won’t have to.”

He dove for her and she fired, but the chamber was empty. Mary fired again, just as his friend came up behind her and slammed into her. The shot went wild. She fought to keep her weapon but the second man wrenched it away. Earl’s knife glittered in the moonlight.

“Get your hands off her!” a voice barked from the end of the alley.

Mary and the men turned and saw a handsome young man in a blue shirt and a brown leather jacket standing there, hands by his gun belt. His right hand had the glove removed.

The men released her and she drew away.

Earl had a sidearm and slid his knife into the scabbard, squaring off with the newcomer. “Who says?”

“We do,” the man said confidently.

“Who’s we?” Earl’s friend asked.

“Oh, the two of us,” her rescuer said in a casual voice.

“I only see one of you,” Earl replied.

“There’s me…and my gun.” The young man radiated sureness and danger. Although he spoke calmly, the threat in his voice was clear.

“You gonna back that up?” Earl asked.

“Step away from the lady and this don’t have to go further,” the blonde continued. His eyes were a beautiful blue and dead serious.

Earl reached for his gun, but the newcomer already had his out and pointed at the two men as if he’d been holding it the entire time.

Mary and the men all gaped at the gunman and then both her attackers ran.

Blue Eyes stared after them, a hard, cold look on his face, but after they were gone, his attitude and posture changed and he holstered his gun, looking at her with concern.

“You all right, ma’am?” His voice was polite and he didn’t approach.

“I…yes,” she said uncertainly, still looking for her gun.

Blue Eyes nodded at it. “Right by your feet.”

Mary grabbed it and put it back in her apron. He could outdraw anyone around, especially her, so there was no use holding it. Besides, even though he was dangerous, he didn’t frighten her up close, unlike the other men.

“Thank you,” she said. “My gun didn’t fire the first time.”

“A lot of people leave the first chamber empty so there ain’t an accident. ‘Specially if they don’t use guns all the time and don’t wear a holster.”

“Oh,” she said. That was no doubt what Daniel had done.

“You’re all right?” Blue Eyes asked. “They didn’t hurt you?”

“No, I’m fine.” She gave him a tentative smile. He was a very handsome man and his eyes were kind now; he’d hidden all traces of the hard gunslinger.

“Can I see you to where you were headed?” he asked in a chivalrous tone.

“I...I got to go to the marshal’s.”

Blue Eyes looked surprised. “I was headed that way. I can walk you, if you like.”

Mary nodded, unsure why she trusted this man, but she did. “I’m Miss Mary Combs,” she said.

“Thaddeus Jones, ma’am. It’s a pleasure.” He tipped his hat to her as if she were any other lady and she smiled genuinely then.

“I’m sure grateful. I ain’t usually the kind to go out alone but my brother wouldn’t come an’ no one else was awake. I got urgent business.” She didn’t want Mr. Jones to think her a fool or a woman of loose morals.

“I’m happy to escort you.” He offered his arm and she hesitated before taking it. “You’ve urgent business with the marshal?”

She nodded as they moved out of the alley onto the main boardwalk. “I seen somebody that needs help.”

Thaddeus Jones looked at her questioningly. Was it her imagination or was he troubled underneath his calm veneer?

“Mary, that you?” A voice called and they turned together.

She noticed that Mr. Jones had his hand on his gun until he saw her brother and then his hand was back at his side, all in a split second.

“Daniel?” She and Mr. Jones asked at the same time.

Daniel did a double take. “Mr. Jones?”

Thaddeus Jones nodded at her brother, who nodded back before whirling on her.

“Mary what you think you doin’?”  Danni asked.

“Mr. Jones is walkin’ me to the marshal,” Mary said reproachfully. “You know him?”

“Daniel took care of my horse,” Thaddeus explained.

Daniel nodded and the way he didn’t seem to suspect the man of untoward behavior meant he shared her opinion that Mr. Jones was a good man.

“He saved me havin’ to shoot some men tonight,” she said pertly.

“What?” Daniel took hold of her arms. “You ain’t hurt?”

“No thanks to you,” Mary replied. “Mr. Jones saved me.”

“I said to keep your head down, not steal pa’s gun!”

“I ain’t fragile, Danni. I can handle a gun an’ nothin’ bad happened.”

“So what, you a gun dog now? Gonna wear a holster low on your apron?” Daniel glanced at Mr. Jones, who had a low holster, to see if he was offended.

Thaddeus looked mildly amused.

“No,” Mary said. “I told you I got to talk to the marshal, but I’m done talkin’ to you.”

Mr. Jones interjected, “Ah, Daniel. I wanted to ask, do you have a blazed chestnut gelding in the livery?”

Daniel blinked. “Ah, yes, sir?”

“Call me Thaddeus. I asked because that’s my partner’s horse,” Thaddeus said.

“He missin’?” she asked. Mary appreciated the change in subject, but she’d also seen his quickly concealed look of concern.

Thaddeus nodded.

“I… I’m goin’ to report a man bein’ held at gunpoint an’ taken to a wagon.  You don’t think…?”

Thaddeus Jones’ blue eyes focused on her and she stepped back at the sudden intensity. “What’d he look like?”

“Dark hair, dark hat. When I opened the door to the alley an’ seen the men with the guns, me an’ him locked eyes. His was brown. When he seen how scared I was, he smiled, with dimples.” As Mary described the victim, her rescuer became the dangerous gunslinger with the hard eyes again.

“That’s my partner,” Thaddeus said. “They took him to a wagon? What kind?”  

Mary bit her lip.

He paused at her dismay. “Please, Miss Combs,” he added, tempering his voice. “I have to help him.”

Mary’s eyes softened. He still wasn’t dangerous to them; he was just preparing to rescue his partner and becoming hard enough to do it. “I run to get help; I ain’t sure where they went. I don’t know who they was, just that they took him to a farm wagon.”

Daniel scratched his head. “What kind of horses was pullin’ the wagon?”

“Does it matter?” Mary asked.

“I might know ‘em,” Daniel said.

“Just one big black draft horse with a white sock on his back leg.”

“He got a white mark ‘tween the eyes? Pullin’ a yellow wagon?” her brother asked.

She nodded.

Thaddeus turned to Daniel. “You know the horse and wagon?”

“Both belong to the Double Y,” Daniel said.

“Daniel, where is the Double Y and Mary, how many men took him?” Thaddeus asked in an authoritative voice which masked his anxiety.

“Four men for sure an’ I guess one in the wagon.”

Daniel gave the directions then said, “I’ll get your horse.”

Thaddeus shook his head. “Take your sister home, I’ll get the horses. Thank you both.”

“You want me to report—” Mary began.

“No need,” Thaddeus said. “I’ll take care of it.”

The way he said it, Mary had no doubt that he would.

Then her rescuer was gone as quickly as he had appeared.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 am

Day Early, A Dollar Short – Chapter 3

A dark form highlighted by the morning light caught the Kid’s attention as his horse carefully picked its way along the rocky trail.  A turkey buzzard drifted lazily on an updraft, swirling gracefully in a circle, dipping and rising on the thermals above the aspen-shrouded mountain.  How could something so ugly on the ground be so beautiful in flight, mused Curry?  As he watched, another bird joined the first, performing an aerial ballet, then another, and another until a squadron of scavengers filled the air.

The Kid’s stomach soured and it had nothing to do with his recent illness.  There was only one reason for so many buzzards to flock together.  He swallowed bile.  He was torn between wanting to hurry along the trail skirting the cliff face and wishing he could manage to turn his horse around on the precipitous path and go back the way he had come.  As he neared a tight bend, his eyes closed while he steeled himself against what he might find.  He felt his horse turn the corner and tense up before erupting with a nervous snort.  Blue eyes flew open to see one of the large raptors sink to the ground and hop towards the corpse of a dead horse reposed at the bottom of a long, gouged route ripped through the steep hillside.  It wasn’t hard to read what had happened.  He’d been following two sets of tracks, now there was only one.  The other had died a terrible death but even at this distance the Kid could tell it wasn’t Heyes’ bay and he sent up a silent prayer of thanks to whatever God cared about ex-outlaws.

XXX

Mac fought through the thick shrubs, stepping over tangled roots, bending branches out of his way, and avoiding jagged, broken limbs.  From the looks of it, Heyes’ horse must’ve left the trail at a full gallop.  He chuckled.  Critter might just make his job a helluva lot easier.  It wasn’t hard to track the outlaw’s path and he wouldn’t be surprised to find Heyes skewered on a low-hanging tree branch.  He’d be disappointed, though; he wanted the pure pleasure of snuffing Heyes.  

He wished he’d just up and killed Heyes outright when they first crossed paths.  If he had, Dickie would still be with him.  He sniffed.  Damned, he’d loved that horse beyond all reason; bred and raised him right there on the farm; broke him real careful for Andy.  The boy’d only been eight when Mac had given him Dickie, but he’d manfully handled the responsibility of caring for the beast.  He could still remember the look on Andy’s face when he put him in the saddle for the first time.  Both he and his son had been so proud.  This time a tear spilled and he wiped it, and the memory, away on a grimy shirtsleeve.

XXX

A small rock tumbled downhill as Heyes and his bay wove their way through a stony field.  He wished he could hurry the animal, but the footing was too treacherous.  Concealing his tracks by using rocky ground was slow going at best and he didn’t have a choice about which direction to take.  Both man and beast were parched.  They had to find water and water flowed downhill.  He would follow the first dried up feeder stream he came across.  He’d already decided against going back up to the trail, the climb would’ve taken too much time and energy.  He was too weak and he couldn’t be sure the fall had killed Mac.  The man might still be after them.

His foot swung free of the stirrup.  It was too painful to put any pressure on the swollen limb and he had to constantly shift position to keep his leg from contacting the saddle.  It hadn’t looked any better this morning when he’d cleaned it and changed the poultice, but it hadn’t looked any worse.  He’d have to be grateful for that.  He was still feverish and fuzzy-headed and it took all his concentration to stay upright and not drift off to sleep.  The tea he’d brewed from the chokecherry bark had helped take some of the edge off, but it’d tasted terrible.  At least a generous dollop of whiskey had made the awful brew a little more palatable, but he’d missed his morning coffee and ended up washing out his wound with the rest of the concoction.  Heyes patted his shirt pocket reassuring himself his bindle of white willow bark was still there.  He’d save that for a last resort.

What day was it?  He couldn’t be sure.  He was having difficulty keeping track of time but it didn’t matter anymore.  The amnesty was as good as gone, all those years, all that risk, and it was gone.  Maybe it would be better to just lie down and die.  The look on the Kid’s face when Heyes told him he’d lost both the packet and the amnesty would kill him sure enough.

XXX

One of the buzzards turned to face the Kid as he crept towards the dead horse.  The huge bird opened its beak threateningly and spread out its wings in warning.  The others kept at their grisly meal.  Each time he took a step forward, the angered bird would feint at him, snapping its beak and driving him back in a bizarre game of give and take.  He had to get closer.  He needed to see if there was another body hidden behind the huge corpse but he couldn’t just shoot the feathered ghoul.  What if the rider had survived?  He couldn’t risk a gunshot.  The last thing he wanted to do was to let anyone know he was here.  Losing all patience with the stalemate, he took off his hat and rushed at the birds, flapping his arms and hat.  The scavengers coming in for a landing veered away, but the four on the carcass extended their wings, hissing at him, and bravely standing their ground.  He skidded to a stop out of reach of their razor-sharp beaks and began lobbing small rocks and stones at them with deadly accuracy.  He hit one in the face with a satisfying smack and the gruesome scrounger took to the sky, the others swiftly following.

The Kid circled around the body noting the bullet wound in the horse’s damaged forehead.  That explained the shot he’d heard.  He breathed a sigh of relief before turning his attention to the empty rifle scabbard and crushed canteens attached to the broken saddle, recognizing one of the canteens as his partner’s.  He examined the saddlebags.  Whoever had put the animal out of its misery had left a lot of gear behind.  The man wanted to travel fast; he was going after Heyes on foot.  

Turning away from the body, the Kid scanned the path of destruction coming down the hillside.  A single, dusty boot lay discarded under a small bush and the Kid felt his blood run cold.  It was Heyes’--the man had taken Heyes’ boots.  Was his partner still alive?  He scrambled up to it and looked for the other, finding it midway up the slope.  Angry and furiously cussing as he climbed the hillside, Curry retrieved the second boot.  Descending, he saw a single set of tracks cutting across the slope, clearly visible, and he walked towards them until he could see the impressions deep boot heels had made sinking into the soft soil.

The advantage was the Kid’s now.  He and his horse were fresh from their long night’s rest and the slow progress he’d made on the rocky trail.  He hurried back to his horse, tied Heyes’ boots on top of his bedroll, and mounted before riding away from the carnage.  

XXX

Upon reaching the bottom of a narrow valley, Heyes found a damp streambed carved through the trees.  He rode alongside it as much as the terrain allowed scanning the exposed rocks and stones until he found a small pocket of stagnant water.  He reined up the bay and awkwardly dismounted; his head spinning.  He steadied himself for a moment before tying the horse to a shrub.  The animal shifted impatiently from leg to leg nearly as thirsty as its rider.  

Heyes pulled the whiskey bottle from his saddlebag.  He couldn’t risk a fire to boil water, but he hoped the alcohol would kill whatever was growing in the dank liquid.  Dropping to his knees with difficulty, he dipped the bottle into the pool filling it to the brim.  He waited a few minutes and then drank thirstily, being careful to stop before the bottle was more than half empty, leaving some of the diluted whiskey.  After re-filling and corking, he struggled to his feet using the branches of a thorny bush and gouging the palms of his hand before noticing the plentiful rose hips ripening along the banks.  He knew he couldn’t eat too many of them, they were too acidic.  At least they’d provide some nourishment while his horse could forage on the brown grasses interspersed amongst the wild roses.  A nicker drew his attention.  His horse’s ears were pricked in his direction, and the hopeful animal was pawing the ground.

“Easy, pal.  Let me get this put away then you’ll have your chance.”  He limped to the bay and tucked the bottle in the saddlebag, untied the reins, and led the horse to the water.  The animal drank greedily, draining the pool dry.  Heyes patted him, his mind on what to do next.    Sooner or later, he’d reach civilization but could he last that long?  The way he felt it wouldn’t be long before he fell out of the saddle.  He had to find a place to hole up until he got better or…didn’t.

The horse began to wander along the streamside, tearing at weeds while Heyes leaned heavily against the saddle, taking the weight off his damaged foot.  As his mount ate, he gathered the rose hips, eating some, and tucking more into empty pockets.  He discovered a small patch of wild onions as well as a clump of prickly pear tucked behind a cluster of rocks.  The fruit was long gone, but he broke off the smaller, thinner pads.  Looping his arm through his horse’s reins so the animal could continue feeding, he sat down on one of the rocks and used a sharp stone to carefully scrape off the needles from the cactus pads.  A ray of sunlight penetrated the shelter of the trees and warmed the chill in Heyes’ bones as he worked.  He wasn’t hungry, but he had to keep his strength up.  The fever was wearing him down.  Biting into a raw pad, he alternated between the cactus and the onions.  The reins tugged gently at his arm as his horse grazed.

The last time he’d eaten cactus he and the Kid had been holed up in a box canyon hiding from a posse on their tails.  Being on the run had taught them a thing or two about staying alive.  As he chewed, his thoughts skittered aimlessly.  Had Mac survived?  Was he going to die alone?  The Kid should be on his feet by now, but was he on the way yet?  They’d always figured when they went, they’d go together.  Heyes wondered if the Kid would ever figure out what happened to him or would his bones be scattered by animals, never to be found?  As lurid images filled his fevered mind, his eyes grew heavy and his hands relaxed, his arm slipped from the reins.  The last of his meal fell to the ground seconds before he did.

XXX

Hurting, Mac had slowed to a mincing walk carefully picking his way through the mixed spruce and aspen forest.  Windblown trees impeded his progress forcing him to step over or around them.  His stacked-heeled cowboy boots weren’t made for hiking and he wished he’d kept the flat-heeled ones he’d taken from Heyes.  He couldn’t go any further.  The sun was dipping below the mountainside and dusk would be coming on quickly.  He’d camp here for the night and give his aching feet a rest.  Limping over to a snagged tree, he sat down and tugged off one boot and then the other, moaning as he rubbed his blisters.

Adding to his discomfort, he’d lost Heyes’ tracks not long after he’d found the clearing where the outlaw had shucked his handcuffs.  It had taken a long time to skirt that rocky hillside and pick up a trail again.  His hand dropped to the cuffs now dangling from his belt.  How the hell had Heyes gotten out of them without a key and with his hands behind him?  Mac had taken every precaution he could think of and the man had still gotten away.  Everything he’d ever heard about Heyes appeared to be true.  The man was wilier than the Devil himself.  If and when he caught up to Heyes, he wouldn’t make underestimate him again.  This time, he’d plug him between the eyes the first chance he got.

XXX      

The big fire crackled merrily but the man warming his hands over the flames was morose.  Worry was eating at Kid Curry and it wouldn’t stop until he found his partner. He was pretty sure he was closing in on the man chasing Heyes and he’d hated having to stop for the night.  He had to find Heyes before the man did.  Trailing behind wasn’t going to work and neither was blundering through the forest in hopes of stumbling across Heyes.  So the Kid had come up with a plan.  

He tipped his face up and watched the long column of smoke swirl upward.  Satisfied that it could be seen against the dusky sky, he got up.  His bedroll lay near the fire, stuffed with his saddle blanket and extra clothes.  He glanced at his horse.  Tied and unsaddled, the animal browsed on a small sapling.   The stage was set.   The Kid melted into the surrounding forest and waited.

XXX

The smell reached Mac’s nose before he saw it.  He looked up from his dinner of cold beans and watched the tendrils of smoke drifting across the canopy of trees.  He waited for the plume to thicken into a forest fire but the billowing grayness simply dissipated into the sky.  He had company.   Could it be Heyes?  Who else would be this far off the trail?  Whoever it was, he’d check it out but he’d be damned careful doing it.  

He waited a long time for darkness to settle around him, watching the flickering light of the distant campfire glow brighter through the heavy underbrush.  When it was dark enough, he pulled on his boots before he picked up his gun belt and got to his feet.    He buckled the belt, tied down his holster, and then walked slowly and silently toward the flames.

XXX

The Kid’s eyes kept closing and he would occasionally nod off only to have the weight of his head awaken him again and again.  Every once in a while he would shake his arms and legs to keep the blood pumping.  The moon slipped slowly past the stars and was sinking to the east when a tiny sound roused him from his stupor.  He’d heard something.  He was sure of it.  Revitalized, he peered through the trees, his attention keenly focused, as the sky lightened with dawn.

XXX

Mac felt around for another stone in the thick brush.  He’d been watching the man sleeping and was getting tired of waiting for him to roll over.  He knew it wasn’t Heyes.  Not unless he’d somehow managed to switch horses and gear in the middle of nowhere.   But who else would be stumbling around in these woods?  Could it be Heyes’ partner?  Mac needed to see the man’s face.  His fingers closed around another pebble and he pitched it at the sleeping figure raising a small puff of dust, but missed again.  Damn it all!  He had to get the man to roll over.  No way was he getting within reach of Curry.  If it was him, he’d shoot first and ask questions later.

XXX

Stealthily, the Kid crept up behind a man kneeling by a large bush.  He was almost close enough to reach out when the man swung around, pistol in hand.  Unconsciously, his own Colt leapt into his hand and his bullet sent the pistol flying from the man’s grip.  

“Aagh, $#%--don’t shoot!”  Mac thrust his pained hand in the air, the other hand gripping it tightly.  Dark eyes peered at the Kid warily.  Holding his gun on the man, Curry walked around him and retrieved the pistol, shoving it into his gun belt.  

Mac followed him with his gaunt face.  “I didn’t mean no harm, mister.  I was just trying to get ‘im to roll over so I could get a good look at ‘im ‘fore I woke ‘im up.”

A cold, tight smile creased the Kid’s face.  “He won’t be rollin’ over.  Or wakin’ up.”

Mac frowned.  “You killed ‘im?”

“I’m not in the habit of backshootin’.  

“Me neither.”  

The Kid pulled out a corner of the governor’s packet from inside his jacket and noted the glimmer of recognition in the man’s eyes.  “This says you are.  Where’s my partner?”

“I don’t know where Heyes is, he got away.  That’s right, Curry, I know who you are,” sneered Mac contemptuously.  “So who’s this?” he said, gesturing towards the bedroll.  

“That’s the oldest trick in the book and you fell for it.”

Mac chuckled, “Your sneaky partner would be proud.  Don’t look at me like that, far as I know, he’s still breathin’.”

Murderous blue eyes glared back at him promising to snip the fragile thread anchoring Mac’s soul to his body.

“You better hope he is.”

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Cornelia May

Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 am

Seeing as how this month's challenge shares the name of January 2017s challenge, I thought it would be fitting to post an excerpt of the story that began with that challenge. So here it is, the beginning of a piece I have called "A Night to Remember".

It came as a surprise to her that Heyes had booked passage on a ship bound from New York to Plymouth, England. It also came as a surprise to her that he wanted to tour around England and some other European countries for...how did he put it...long enough to feel like he was a multi-millionaire. Of course all she could really do was laugh; after all they were both well into their fifties, Heyes himself would be sixty come September.

Her health wasn’t what it was years ago either. The doctor in town had recently told her that her heart was becoming weak and that she would have to start slowing down some...and not lace her corset so tight anymore. Back in August she had been down at the corrals with Heyes overseeing the breaking of a few yearlings to the saddle. She was sitting on the top rail of the split rail corral fence when she felt something akin to an air bubble in her chest. She clamored down and nearly fell back into her husband. Worried, Heyes helped her back to the house and ordered one of the hands to bring Doc Thompson back to check and make sure she was okay.

At the time the doctor didn’t think much of it, until she had another episode in October, then another back in January. She was only fifty-eight and otherwise healthy for her age. The doctor asked if her parents had died suddenly or had heart problems. She answered that she didn’t know since her family never really talked about health problems and other things of that nature. With nothing else he could really do to help her he recommend she take it easy and not do so much around the ranch. Heyes had agreed with the doctor saying he’d been telling her the same thing for a few years.

And though the ranch was doing well and had been for the last seventeen years and Kid's stock interests in a local mine had hit pay dirt they weren't showy with the wealth they had. During that time Cornelia had grown into a lovely young woman, and Lily had also given Heyes a son, Joshua Alexander, who was attending university at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

“What are you laughing at, it’ll be like a second honeymoon for us,” Heyes said.

“Heyes, I don’t think I'm well enough to take a steamship to England, than another across the channel to France just to sight see for a few months. Besides, do we have the extra money to spend on this excursion? Joshua’s in school back east, at the Naval Academy to become an Officer,” Lily replied.

“You worry about getting us packed to spend a month in Europe, I’ll take care of the finances. Besides that, Kid said he regretted not getting us a proper wedding gift years ago and offered to pay for all the expenses. I turned it down of course knowing how you feel about these kinds of things.”

Lily gave him a smile. “Alright, honey; we'll go.”

~<>~<>~<>~<>~

By the beginning of March they were touring Europe, spending most of their time in Spain and France. Heyes was glad that his wife was well versed in both Spanish and French. He wished he had taken the time to learn Spanish while on the run from the law.

While at the Louvre Museum in Paris they looked at the Mona Lisa.

“She’s hidin' somethin’, I can tell by that little smile.”

Lily chuckled a little. “I’m sure Leonardo Da Vinci didn’t have robbing a bank or a train on his mind since neither existed during the Italian Renaissance, or at least banks didn’t exist in the way they do today. The steam engine wasn’t perfected until the late eighteenth century.”

“No, she isn’t thinking about commiting a robbery, that’s a knowing smile, like only she knows her name is an alias or something.”

“Dear,” Lily said seriously, “can’t you just stand here and appreciate fine art?”

~<>~<>~<>~<>~

They arrived in Southampton in early April. Both had greatly enjoyed their time abroad, but were anxious to get back to their Wyoming ranch.

Their hotel was near the waterfront and the window had a nice view of the ships coming and going.

Lily had stayed behind while Heyes went down to the booking office to secure passage to New York on the RMS Carpathia.

“Sir,” the clerk said, “White Star Line is launching a new ship on the tenth. The RMS Titanic.”

“Titanic, I been reading a lot about that in the papers, supposed to be the grandest ship on the ocean when she’s launched,” Heyes recounted from several articles he’d read, “supposedly ‘unsinkable’ as well.”

The clerk nodded. “Yes, sir. Would you like tickets for her maiden voyage?”

“Yes, two first class tickets, please.”

“Millionaire’s suite or regular cabin?”

“Just a cabin, please, I’m a rancher from Wyoming, not a railroad tycoon.”

The clerk chuckled a bit, thinking second class would have been more appropriate for this gentleman, but who was he to judge?

“Alright, here are your tickets. Ship sails in about a week. Have a good trip.”

Heyes tipped the brim of his bowler to the man and made his way to the telegraph office.

The telegrapher looked up from his paper. “Can I help you?”

“Yes sir,” Heyes replied, “is it possible for you to send a telegram, how do you all say…across the pond to Wyoming?”

“Yes we can do that for you. To whom is this message to?”

“To Jedediah Curry, Porterville, Wyoming,” Heyes paused to give the man time to write it down. “Lily and I have booked passage home on Titanic. Will be back in Porterville hopefully no later than April twentieth or a day or two later. Sign that H. Heyes.”

The clerk finished writing out the message a few seconds after Heyes had finished dictating. He then tapped it out.

“Be a pound ten pence. Will you be waiting for a reply or shall I be delivering it to where you are staying?”

Heyes paid the fee. “My cousin knows not to reply to something like that.” Again he tipped his hat brim to the man before leaving. As he walked down the street he thought about going into a saloon for a few hands of poker, but thought better of it, knowing there would plenty of opportunity on the cruse back to New York. He had decided to take Lily out for dinner at a nice restaurant rather than ordering room service like they’d been for the last month.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~

After dinner they walked leisurely back to their hotel. Lily leaned into her husband’s side and Heyes wrapped an arm around her waist. He could tell she was feeling tired and ready to get back to the hotel. He felt her stop and looked at her worriedly.

“You alright, honey?” he asked, concern evident in his voice.

She nodded, then felt her knees go weak.

Heyes easily caught her up in his arms and carried her all the way back to the hotel. Upon entering he ordered one of the porters to fetch the nearest doctor to their room.

After the doctor examined her he looked at Heyes and shook his head. “Your wife is lucky she did not have a heart attack. I suggest she is in bed early from now on, no later than nine in the evening.”

Heyes looked at him questioningly. “Do you mind filling in some of the spaces with words, Doctor?”

“Heart failure, a common condition among people of your age group.”

“How does one…”

“Sorry to say there’s not anything that can be done for it. Rest and comfort are all I can advise you to give her.”

“We're boarding a steamer to New York, will she be able to make the crossing?”

The doctor nodded. “She could live twenty more years or only twenty minutes, it’s a matter of when, not if. I suggest you take a coach to the dock rather than walking when the time comes for you all to leave.”

Heyes nodded as the doctor wrote something down.

“Here, after boarding pay the ships surgeon a visit. Due to her current fragility, in case of an emergency that would cause an abandon ship it would be beneficial if you are with your wife.” He turned his attention to Lily. “Mrs. Heyes, you get plenty of rest now; if either of you need me again just send one of the hotel staff.”

Heyes nodded as he closed the door behind the doctor. He crossed and sat down on the edge of the bed, taking Lily's hand in both of his. He wore a worried expression.

“Don’t worry about me, not yet,” she said, meeting his gaze.

“How can I not? They say pregnant women are in delicate or fragile condition. This is beyond that, this is…well worse. One good scare or over doing yourself and…you could end up in a pine box…” he sighed, needing to get how he felt off his chest. “I’m not ready to go through that again. I know it’s been decades since Lydia’s passing, but it's still a fresh wound…” he rambled on for a few minutes.

“Heyes, listen to me for a moment. I don’t expect you to have healed completely from that, you lost your wife  and newborn son that day, and you have every reason to be fearful now, but we all die at some point. It’s a matter of when, not if. I’m not sure if I’m ready to go yet, either; but if it’s my time, then I have no choice when it happens.”

“Lily…”

“There are two possible choices after death, stay behind as a ghost, or spirit, or whatever you want to call it; or cross over into the afterlife, whatever that may be. Whatever choice I make, just know that I’ll always be with you; here,” she placed her free hand over his heart, “and here,” she moved her hand to cup his cheek, “in your memories.”

“You already sound like you’re saying goodbye.” Tears had started to form in the former outlaw’s eyes.

“I’m saying only what needs to be said. It may be premature, but I’d rather it be now, than only get half said before drawing my final breath.”

Heyes nodded in understanding, knowing his wife was saying all this for his benefit. Having heard enough he leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “Well, you aren’t going to die, not tonight.”

~<>~<>~<>~<>~

Heyes helped the porter get the luggage into their cabin and gave the boy, he couldn’t have been older than twenty, a nickel. After helping Lily get their clothes into the wardrobe and other things put into the chest of drawers they went down to the ship’s infirmary.

Dr. William O'Loughlin, the grand ocean liner's surgeon, looked up after doing his own examination of Lily. “Sailors say it is bad luck to speak of vessels sinking, but seeing how this ship is supposedly unsinkable, in the high unlikely hood of an abandon ship situation, I believe it is beneficial for you and your wife to disembark together.” He sighed. “I’ll write up and official document and have it sent up to your cabin.”

“Thank you, Doctor. Do we owe you anything?” Heyes asked, reaching into the interior pocket of his coat to get his wallet.

“No, Mister Heyes, I’m not going to charge for this. However, if you would like a bottle of seasickness pills they are ten pence per bottle.”

Heyes got a dime out of his pocket. “Never hurts to be prepared. We've been on a few sternwheelers, and the crossing to Europe wasn’t bad, but might be different for our return.”

O’Loughlin nodded and took the dime then handed the former outlaw a bottle.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~

MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am

Fragile2

The morning was greeted by sounds of groaning, which could be interpreted as a wounded animal in great pain. Instead, the sounds emanated from Kid Curry, who sat with his head in his hands at the kitchen table.

Across from him was Hannibal Heyes, his forehead on the table, forearms resting either side of his head. Similar wounded animal sounds came from him.

Both were unshaven and dishevelled, hair mussed and sticking up at odd angles. Heyes even had a flower head stuck behind one ear. Both looked as though they had slept in their clothes, which they had.

“Heyes.”

A grunt of acknowledgement.

“I think I’m dead.”

“Oh, Kid. I know I am,” came the moaned reply.

Elsewhere in the kitchen, Mary and Caroline looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Both shook their heads at the state their husbands were in, unusual for either of them.

So what could have caused this departure in behaviour? The marriage of one Wheat Carlson, later that day, that’s what.

After his amnesty and installation as manager of The Hardware Store’s Salt River branch, Heyes concerned about Wheat’s literacy standards, had sought help from the town’s schoolteacher. A spinster of middle years, Elizabeth Burton had taken no nonsense from Wheat, applied him to the task and succeeded in raising his reading, writing and arithmetic several grades. On thing had led to another and Wheat had mumbled a proposal expecting the best-case scenario of a slapped face. To his great surprise, he was accepted.

Wheat found himself in the same situation Heyes had. He had to tell Elizabeth about the outlawing and his real name. He was working out how to do so when it became public knowledge who Joshua Smith was, or rather had been. Bringing it up in conversation, Wheat gauged how Elizabeth reacted. She was ambivalent about it but finally conceded that any man should have a second chance. Then she had asked whether he, Walter Brown, had known he was really working for Hannibal Heyes, ex Outlaw King, as she had described him.

Wheat had pulled at his shirt collar in disgust. “He was full of hisself ma’am but he weren’t no king!” he had spat at her. Which only prompted further questions and Wheat knew he had no alternative but to make a full confession.
Elizabeth had listened to his tale, glossed over and embellished in parts with equal measure, quietly and calmly.

“Amnesty you say?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Like Hannibal Heyes, your employer?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“The Hardware Store isn’t a front for illegal activities is it?”

Wheat had looked shocked. “No ma’am. Me and Heyes are strictly by the book these days. We’re a lawful enterprise. No stain on our characters. No … .” He fought for a new word Elizabeth had taught him. “Blemishes on us, ma’am. No way. Too much to lose now. I mean Heyes has his family to think of and I … .”

Wheat had pulled up short at that point. What DID he have to lose? Only his livelihood, security and … her. He’d dropped his head when he realised just what was at stake. Just how fragile his new life really was.

“I’m sorry ma’am, I … well I best be getting along. Outta your hair.” He’d turned to go but she called him back.

“Walter.” When he’d turned back she was smiling. “Wheat.” She’d laughed. “No I’m NOT calling my husband Wheat so … .” She’d paused as if making a final decision. “I know you don’t like it but if you can accept being called Walter for the rest of your life then
… that’s what I’m happy to call you.”

Wheat had grinned when he realised what Elizabeth was saying. “Yes ma’am. I reckon I can tolerate that.”

The wedding was still on and Elizabeth would become his wife later that day.

The bachelor party had taken over a back room of the saloon in Porterville, a small select group, designed to drink the health of Wheat and his fiancée and wish the pair good luck. That’s how it had started out and was a quiet dignified affair, until the arrival of Hank and Lobo. Wheat had issued the invitation without any real expectation of acceptance, so no one was expecting the arrival of the former gang members. That’s when the atmosphere in the party had changed. Several toasts to Kyle, and other missing old friends, later and the party had descended into drunken revelry. At that point, John Beecher, Heyes’ liveryman cum gardener and several others of Wheat’s now conventional acquaintance had departed. John, as designated driver, and Wheat’s best man, would return later to transport the Amnesty House Trio home safely.

On returning to Amnesty, Wheat had stayed with John in the stables, whilst the Kid and Heyes had weaved their unsteady way along the path to the main house. Twenty minutes later both were snoring in the study, the Kid face down on the chaise lounge, Heyes sprawled untidily across two chairs. Peeking in from the door, their night attire clad ladies, were relieved that their men were at least home safely. Seeing that there was no point in trying to encourage them upstairs, all the ladies could do was make them more comfortable with blankets and pillows.

“Coffee, Jed?” asked Caroline, pot in hand.

“Yes,” the Kid breathed and held out his hand. He remained huddled over the table.

Rolling her eyes at Mary, Caroline pushed a mug into the awaiting hand and closed his fingers around it.

A grunt of thanks and a second hand shakily joined the other around the mug and together they raised the hot liquid to trembling lips. Tentative slurping followed.

Mary didn’t bother asking the question of her husband. Instead, she slopped a mug down next to his head. Hard enough and close enough to make him start. She wafted coffee fumes in his direction and then stood back arms folded. Caroline looked a question at her and Mary nodded, with a tight-lipped smile. Together they watched as the dark head attempted to lift from the table, failed once, and then with more determination forced its way up. Flowery relic from the previous night floated off to the floor. He sat bolt upright. Eyes blinked open, and then closed smartly as the morning sun through the kitchen window, hit with its full force. A groan escaped, then hand shielding his eyes, they opened again to spy the coffee mug.

“Ah! Coffee.” A faint smile flickered and the nearest hand made a lunge for the mug, succeeding in securing it on the third attempt.

Stereo slurping began in earnest.

Both ladies turned away with heavy sighs. Today was going to be a long day until their menfolk even remotely resembled the men they’d married.

“If they look and feel THAT bad, how is the groom feeling?” Caroline asked, keeping her voice low. Normal conversation level had already provoked strong protests to “keep it down”.

“Oh, I think HE’S feeling just fine,” Mary said, seeing Wheat coming up the path from the stables, whistling tunefully.

A moment later, said whistler had opened the kitchen door and stamped in.

“Morning ma’ams,” Wheat greeted, loudly. “Beautiful day for it.”

Groans and requests to SHUT UP greeted him.

He started in surprise at the reaction from the seated men. Then Wheat chortled. “A mite fragile are you,” he said, stating the obvious. He shut the door unnecessarily loudly.

“Coffee, Wheat?” Mary asked.

“Thank you, ma’am. Don’t mind if I do.”

Before he could move to join the table, the internal kitchen door opened and a small whirlwind rushed in.

“Wheat!”

Wheat grunted as the whirlwind launched itself at him, barely giving him enough time to catch it.

“Hey, Little Missy,” he greeted Susan.

“Happy wedding day, Wheat. I’m excited. I’ve never been a bridesmaid before. Are you excited?”

“Susan … .” Heyes started.

“Yes I sure am, Little Missy. I sure am.” Wheat confirmed his state of mind as he lowered her to the floor.

“Do you like my bridesmaid’s dress?” Susan asked, eagerly and spun round so he could see it in its full glory.

Wheat nodded. “Yes I sure do.”

“Susan, you’re not supposed to be wearing it yet. I’m not ironing it again. Go and take it off before it creases,” Mary scolded.

“Oh, Mama, I’m just showing Wheat.”

“Wheat will see it later.”

“But Mama he’ll be TOO busy then,” Susan protested.

“SUSAN … .” Heyes yelled and then groaned, putting a hand to his forehead. “Do as Mama says please.”

“Pappy are you not feeling well?” she asked in concern.

“No Susan not this morning.”

Susan glanced over to the Kid and she realised. She folded her arms.

“Oh this is the demon drink isn’t it? They told us about this at Sunday school. You ought to take more care. Men are PARTICULARLY susceptible.”

The Kid smirked and watched as Heyes’ lips twitched to speak. However, the battery that powered his brain was running on minimal power this morning. No sign of any reply in formulation. Instead, defeated, Heyes looked up at Mary, giving her his best pleading face.

Mary sighed and moved to take hold of Susan firmly.

“Susan, go and take that dress off now.” Mary shuffled Susan to the door. “You can lecture Pappy later, when he’s feeling better.

“Yes Mama,” Mollified Susan trooped out determined to tackle her father about alcohol and its effects at another time.

The Kid snorted into his coffee

Wheat scratched a cheek, amused.

“You have your work cut out with Little Missy there Heyes,” he chortled.

Heyes shook his head and then wished he hadn’t.

“Believe me, boys are SO much easier to deal with.”

“You think?” The Kid was surprised. His three boys ran him ragged most days.

“All things considered, yes.” With that, Heyes groaned again.

Wheat pulled out a chair deliberately slowly, increasing the level of noise and length of the scraping. He sat down and looked from one to the other.

“Still cen’t hold ya drink can ya?” he said, shaking his head and sipped at his coffee. “Amateurs,” he mumbled. “Hope you two are gonna buck up ‘fore the wedding. Don’t want folks mistakin’ it for a funeral.”

Wheat appeared unfazed as a double dose of “the look” hit. “Yous no call to look at me like that. Only sayin’.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2018 - Fragile    November 2018 - Fragile  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

November 2018 - Fragile
Page 1 of 1