Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Empty
PostSubject: Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello one and all ...

Your challenge this month is driven by nothing more than the fact that this is what I faced on the way home tonight

Curses

Curses

Fume

Put your typing fingers to work on

Road Ahead is Closed
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 9:01 am

LOL, okay dodgy, tenuous link to challenge here- but read to the end and I think I managed to crowbar a line to make it relevant! If not feel free to ignore my effort.

“Heyes, will you stop lookin' at that bank as if it's your new best friend! You're makin' me nervous.”

“Kid, stop fussing will ya. I ain't even a bit tempted...”

“'Scuse me if I ain't exactly convinced Heyes! You know how long you've been staring at that door?”

“Ain't been that long, Kid.”

The Kid humphed in disgust at his partner's comment, it'd been well over half an hour and the fact Heyes had lost track of the time was telling in itself. Kid Curry sighed, he'd known they were in trouble, the moment he'd noticed the gleam of interest in his partner's face as his eyes had fallen on the brand-new Pierce and Hamilton being carried into the bank. For all his protestations to the contrary, the Kid knew full well that Heyes sometimes missed the challenge of opening safes and feeling them yield to him. If the stakes hadn't been so high and he'd not been so worried, the Kid was pretty sure that his partner would have enjoyed his success at opening the safe with Harry Waggoner. He'd certainly got a kick out of it the first-time round.

“You're always telling me to stay out of trouble and not draw no attention to us and now you're sitting staring at that damn bank as if you wanna marry it! I'm sure the sheriff has noticed and that it won't be long 'till he starts looking at us funny and figures he oughta be studying his wanted posters with more attention than usual.” The Kid's voice had risen slightly in exasperation and his mood wasn't helped when his partner waved a dismissing hand and responded with a slight smile and an offhand comment. “You're worrying too much, same as usual, Kid.”

But his face dropped when the Sheriff, who they knew was called Thomas Morton, having already made sure they weren't familiar with him before checking into the hotel came up to them looking serious. “Now I can't help but notice your interest in our little bank and I'm wondering exactly what's caught your attention. We're mighty proud of the fact that our town ain't been robbed for over five years and I'm looking to keep it that way.”

The Kid fighting the urge to rest his hand on his gun, instead folded his arms and glared at his partner with a told you this would happen expression on his face. Heyes merely shrugged and indicated the Kid's holster with a nod, his face clearly saying. “Well, makes a change that it ain't you and that gun attracting unwelcome attention.”

He then turned to the law-man and smiled his friendliest and most innocent smile. “I surely ain't got no interest in robbing your bank. Just ever since I bin a young 'un, safes have fascinated me. Used to drive my dear folks half round the bend, 'specially my Pa. Ain't never been able to shake it none. And when I saw that pretty little safe I got real distracted. Ain't that true Thaddeus? My cousin here is real patient with me and makes sure I don't get into no trouble.”

The Kid saw that Heyes' country drawl, vague expression and aww shucks demeanour was having the desired effect on the law-men. His face had lost most of its suspicion and as Heyes rambled on, Morton glanced over at the Kid with a sympathetic expression on his face, obviously figuring as had been intended, that Heyes was a bit simple and needed keeping an eye on. The Kid returned the look with a small shrug and smile and said firmly. “Now, Joshua, I think it's time we were heading back to the hotel, don't want no-one else getting the wrong idea.” He placed his arm firmly round Heyes' shoulder and with a hat tip to the slightly bemused law man propelled his friend towards the hotel. He thought Heyes' performance would at least make it safe for them to stay the night. Gullible folk were thankfully never a match for Heyes' silver tongue. He did wonder how the town had escaped being robbed for so long, but pushed that thought away and concentrated on making his walk as unconcerned as possible.

As soon as they were out of the sheriff's hearing Heyes released himself from Kid's grip, turned and grinned in some triumph. "Now, that went real easy don't ya think? Weren't no need to worry.”

The Kid sighed and shook his head. “Ya know Heyes, one of these days my heart's just gonna give up on me, giving how much strain you put on it sometimes.”

Heyes threw him an offended look but then grinned and slapped his back. “Nah, the odds are more in favour of us getting caught well before your heart gives up on you.”

The Kid snorted and shook his head, deciding that it just wasn't important enough to worry, after all a potential crisis had been easily avoided. “All that worryin' has made me hungry, Heyes, so you owe me a steak dinner.”

“Everything makes you hungry, Kid.” But Heyes didn't argue and simply changed direction to walk towards the brightly coloured cafe next to the livery.

XXX

“I bin thinking Heyes, maybe we should ride outta here after we've eaten. Ain't real sure we oughta be staying, now that you've caught that Sheriff's eye.”

Heyes frowned at him, clearly hearing the intended criticism in his voice. But his tone was mild as he replied. “We leave now, Kid, it'll just make him suspicious again. Think he's happy we ain't looking for trouble. So, our best plan is to stay tonight and leave in the morning, just like we planned.” Heyes glanced out of the cafe window at the darkening sky. “I don't know about you, but I sure ain't in a hurry to get rained on."

Kid followed his partner's gaze and nodded, no keener on the idea of getting wet than Heyes was and shrugged his agreement. “All right, Heyes. I guess there ain't no point risking getting caught in a storm, lessen we have to. Roads outta town, might get washed out and closed anyways."

Kid returned his attention to the meal and they ate in silence for a while before Heyes said wistfully. “Sure would have liked to have a crack at that safe.”

At his words, Kid pushed his plate away and sighed quietly, silently cursing Harry Waggoner, knowing that it was his stupid fault that Heyes had got itchy fingers again. “Maybe we oughta risk the storm and get outta here, Heyes.  I ain't liking that look in your eyes.”

Heyes sighed in some disgruntlement. “I ain't gonna do it Kid, I know as well as you, that road is closed now, but sometimes I sure wish there was a way it weren't, without risking our amnesty.”

Before the Kid could reply, the door to the cafe opened noisily and drew their gaze. Four men entered and the Kid sighed as he recognised them. Heyes' face fell as he too realised they knew them. “I guess that sheriff's five-year spell of not being robbed is about to get broke.”

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Kattayl

PostSubject: Road is Closed Ahead   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 8:20 pm

The Road is Closed Ahead
                   Written for November 2021 Challenge
                   (Part of Amnesty but First Penance Universe)

Waiting in Porterville for their next amnesty assignment, Hannibal Heyes and Jed Curry were once again reading the long-lost letters from Valparaiso.

“Kid, listen to this one.  Name sounds kinda familiar.”  Without waiting for an answer Heyes read the letter out loud.

“Dear Proprietors of The Valparaiso Home for Wayward Boys,

We are searching for Thomas Timothy Trent.  He is my half-brother, we have the same father.  He has been missing for two years and we learned recently he was put on an orphan train to Kansas.  He would be twelve-years old now.  He has a triangle shaped burn on his left shin.  

If he is there, we will come get him.  Please let us know.

Theodore Triston Trent.

Putting down the letter, Heyes stared across the desk at his partner and realized he had not heard a word of the letter.  “You know this Thomas Timothy Trent, Kid.”

“Kid!”

“What, Heyes?  I’m tryin’ to do something here,” answered Curry without looking up at him, busy writing on the paper in front of him.

“And I’m trying to get through these letters.  Just what are you doing that has you so engrossed?”

Making a face, Curry looked up.  “Grossed?  Nothing about this is gross.”

Heyes grinned.  “Not gross.  Engrossed – it means thoroughly absorbed in something.”  

“Guess I was engrossed then.  This is important so I guess it’s right to be absorbed.”  Curry picked up his pencil and went back to writing.  Stopping every so often he leaned back on his chair until the front legs left the floor.  Tapping his pencil on his lips, he’d stare at the ceiling.  A warm smile would cross his face and he would snap his chair forward and write again.

“What’s more important than these letters?”  Heyes was losing his patience.  “These people have waited years for answers.”

Curry met Heyes eyes and smiled.  “Those letters are very important, I know it.  This is important to us.”

‘Us?  Just what are you writing, Kid?”

“Makin’ a list,” Curry answered as if that explained everything.

Heyes decided to take another tack in his questioning.  “What makes this list so important?  Is it which diners serve your favorite food each day?”

“Hmmm.  Hadn’t thought of that.”

“Kid!”

“All right.  Remember when we used to rob trains and banks and then we was tryin’ so hard to get amnesty?”

“Kid, the list?”

“Well, when one of us would meet a pretty girl, we’d always say, ‘that road ahead is closed.’ because we didn't live a life where a wife and family were a choice?”  

Heyes was confused but knew Curry was trying to express something, he just didn’t know what.

“Well, now we got amnesty and maybe the road ahead opened up.  So, I’m making a list with columns for you and me and listin’ some of the women we know to see if maybe we want to start something up with one of them.”

Smiling with his dimples, Heyes reached for the list.  “You just might have something there, Kid.  Let me see your list.”

“No, it ain’t finished yet.”  Curry covered the list with his hands.  “But I’ll read what I got and maybe you got some ideas.”

Now it was Heyes turn to lean back in his chair.  “Okay, who you got.”

‘Well, there’s some I got in the column titled ‘Both’.

“Both?”

“Yeah, means we both like them.  Wanted to be fair with the list.”

“Okay, who’s in the ‘Both’ column?”

“Well, Clem for one.”  

Heyes nodded but said nothing.

“And Georgette and Grace Turner.”

“Grace Turner?  Yeah, I admire how well she played a con.  She’s wanted now.  Her road ahead is closed.”  Heyes leaned forward in his chair now, elbows leaning on the desk.  "And what about Mary Cunningham?  We both liked her,” he added, his thoughts thinking of women they had known.

“Yeah, I’ll add her, liked her kids too.  And I have Kate Lewis there too.”

The memory brought a smile to Heyes’ face.  “McGuffin’s daughter?  Wonder if she’s a treasury agent by now?  She the kind you looking for, Kid?  Don’t seem too needy to me.”

“Don’t think I’m lookin’ for needy, Heyes.  Want someone to stand next to me and build a life with.  Maybe I ain’t met her yet.”  Curry was staring at the ceiling again.

“Anyone else in that ‘Both’ column?”  Heyes was lost in his thoughts.

“No, I have some in the no column, though.”

“Who’s a no?”

“Well, Beth and Bridget Jordan are sweet, but too young.  Annabelle is probably married by now.  Betsy was mostly interested in diamonds and money.  Molly is becomin’ a nun. I ain’t competin’ with God for a woman.”  Curry was looking at his list.  “Wasn’t sure where to put Cybele Snively?  No sparks for me with her.  You interested in her?”

“No, no sparks there.  Nice girl, but her father and his potions just barely stay on the right side of the law.  Now that we got our amnesty, I’d like to stay a free man.”  Letters forgotten, Heyes started making his own list.  “And BeeGee is taken.”

“Yeah, I think she found what she wanted.”  

“Okay, Kid, then who do you have in my column?” Heyes questioned, curious about his cousin’s thinking in the matter.

Looking down, Curry glanced at Heyes, a small smile tickling his lip.  “Well, I put Julia in your column.”

“Ahh, Julia.”  Heyes let the exciting memory of their last kiss fill his thoughts.  “Yes, Julia belongs there.”

“And Leslie.”

“Leslie? No, not Leslie.  Just wouldn’t work out,” Heyes said, yet the memory of the pleasant kisses they shared to shut her up made him smile and Curry left her name where it was.  

“Well, I got her friend, Margaret, on my list.  If I ever get back East, I might look her up.”  Curry remembered how sad he felt when he saw her off at the train station.  At that time, he definitely felt that the road to a serious relationship was closed to him.  

“And I wasn’t sure where to put Ellen and Mary Lewis; you know, the ones that were on that stage that ended up at Diablo Station.”

Heyes thought for a moment.  “No and no for me with the Lewis sisters.”

“Me, too,” Curry agreed.  “But I got Michelle, Emma Sterling, and Charlotte Austin on my list.”

“What about Ellen Anderson?  Didn’t you enjoy your moonlight ride with her?” asked Heyes.

“Yeah, it was pleasant, and it got her back to her father.  Not sure I’d want to court someone whose father is friends with the governor; rather stay away from that if I can.”  Kid’s eyes teased as he grinned and pointed his pencil towards his partner.  “Got two more for your list, Heyes. Maybe you can see a future with one of them even more than Julia.”

“Who’s that, Kid?” asked Heyes, thinking he knew who the Kid was talking about, but still wanting to hear names.

“That schoolteacher, Amy Martin.”

Memories of poetry and pleasant evenings together forced their way into Heyes thoughts.  “Yeah, it was hard to watch Amy leave.  I wonder how she is doing?”  His gaze came back to Curry.  “Who else?”
“The widow Sarah Henderson, she’s beautiful and rich.”  Curry watched Heyes closely.  

Slowly, a smile crept across Heyes’ face until his chocolate brown eyes smiled.  “Beautiful she is but her brother is awful protective,” Heyes said.

“But I do like Jim Stokely.” Curry smiled as he answered the gunfighter.  ‘Well, that’s as far as I’ve gotten.  Some good women there.  There might be even more out there.  I’m lookin’ forward to meetin’ more of them.  Amnesty changed the game.  The game changed because of freedom.”  Curry was adamant.  

“Something to think about, Kid.  Definitely something to think about.”

“Oh, and Heyes, Thomas Timothy Trent is ThreeT; remember we first met him at Valparaiso.  He was younger than you but older than me and a real bully   Told us he got that scar from his aunt’s iron.”

“ThreeT,” Heyes remembered, then his eyes saddened as the memory continued.  “Er, don’t want to tell his half-brother what happened to him.  Think I’ll just write a letter that says he was there but we have no information after the Home.”

“Yeah, better than tellin’ them the truth; he always was troubled and violent,” Curry said softly.

Heyes finished the thought, “Stayed violent as an adult.  Killed three men in a bar fight and hung for it.  That’s not the memory we want them to have.”

Penski and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm

Road Ahead is Closed

The rain came down in buckets soaking the two weary travelers even though they were wearing slickers. Hats were tilted to keep as much water as possible from their face and running down their backs. The road, carved out of a mountainside, was wide enough for a wagon with several places where two could pass. The riders moved over as far as they could when a buckboard came from the opposite direction.

“How far to Ouray?” the Kid shouted to the driver.

“You got about five more miles,” the driver replied.

“Thanks!” Curry shivered from the cold rain.

“Sure glad we’re not delivering anything big that needed a wagon,” Heyes yelled over the weather. “Would hate to meet another one on this road.”

“Remind me never to accept a job deliverin’ dynamite and nitro to Ouray.”

Heyes nodded in agreement and immediately wished he hadn’t when a stream of water ran down his back.

The horses plodded through the mud with their heads down.

“Can’t push them to go faster with how slick the roads becomin’,” the Kid muttered as he resigned himself to at least an hour longer on the road.

Over an hour later, the road became wider and up ahead the town became visible through the sheets of rain. The horses, sensing an end of the journey, picked up the pace.

Ouray was narrow and long with steep mountains on three sides. The only way in or out was on the road they just travelled. It had a few saloons, a few stores, an assay office, a bank, a barber with a connecting bath house, a diner, a lawyer’s office, a hotel, a few boarding houses, a livery with blacksmith on the side, and a jail.

“Let’s get the horses settled and then go to the hotel and dry off some. The lawyer’s office looks dark so we probably won’t be able to make our delivery until tomorrow.” Heyes nudged his horse towards the stable with his partner following.

The men dismounted and stretched sore muscles before knocking on the door.

A man opened the large door. “Come on in! Weather’s not fit for man or beast today.”

Heyes and Curry led their horses into the barn and the horses shook to get the excess water off.

“Hey…” The Kid scowled.

“Can’t get any wetter than you already are,” Heyes commented.

“Why don’t you just take your belongin’s and leave me to wipe ‘em down good and give ‘em some food.” The man began loosening the cinches to remove the saddles. “It’ll be fifty cents a day for boardin’ one.” The man held out his hand.

Heyes reached into his pocket and pulled out a dollar. “Not sure if we’re leaving tomorrow or not. Do you know Mr. Ralph Jackson?”

“The lawyer? Sure do. Why?”

“We have a delivery for him. Seemed like his office was closed.”

“He probably closed early because of the weather. He’s usually there by 9:00 in the mornin’.”

I suppose you know just about everyone in town,” Curry commented as he put his saddlebags over his shoulder.

“Sure do. George owns the Silver Dollar and Mike owns Mountain Mike’s; Gus has the main store; Sam runs the assay; the Johnsons run the hotel; Hilbert cooks at the diner; Minnie runs one of the boarding houses and Ethel runs the other; there’s Sheriff Cooper; Joe’s the barber…”

Curry held out his hand. “You convinced me; you know everybody!”

“Sheriff Cooper, huh?” Heyes finished untying his rifle. “That wouldn’t be Eugene Cooper, would it?”

“Nah. It’s Jack Cooper. Maybe he’s related to this Eugene.”

“Maybe. You ready, Thaddeus, to make a run for the hotel?”

Kid Curry noticed a change in his partner. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Mr. Johnson registered the two dripping wet guests while Mrs. Johnson got a mop out to wipe the floor.

“Sorry about that,” Heyes said as he signed the book.

“No worries. Not like you got the floor wet on purpose.” Mr. Johnson handed the pen to the Kid and then turned to get a key. “You’ll be in room 2 at the top of the stairs on the right side facing the street. Hope you don’t mind.”

“Nope. Long as it’s dry and warm.” Curry gave the man his pen back and took the key.

“John, give them some towels to dry off with.” Mrs. Johnson continued mopping the lobby area.

The man behind the counter went into the back room and came back with a few towels. “Here you go.”

“Thank you.” Heyes reached over and took them.

Heyes and the Kid made their way up the stairs and into the room. Heyes dropped his belongings and peered out the window.

“Okay, Heyes. I’m pretty sure I don’t know no Sheriff Jack Cooper, so, you gonna tell me how come YOU do?”

“No, he shouldn’t know you. If he’s the same man, he was in the Plummer Gang and we weren’t on the friendliest of terms.”

“So, like Lom – an outlaw turned sheriff.”

“Yep.” Heyes dropped the curtain back down. “Don’t see anyone out there.”

“Of course you don’t with all this rain.” Curry hung up the slicker and began removing his wet clothes. “I sure hope there’s something not wet in my bags. How’d the package do?”

Heyes checked his saddlebags. “It’s barely damp.” He pulled out some drier clothes, removed the wet ones, and toweled himself dry before redressing.

Curry toweled his hair. “Guess we’ll be leavin’ as soon as we can in the mornin’. Meanwhile, you best stay in the room so this Jack Cooper don’t see you. I’ll go to the diner and bring back some dinner and deliver the package tomorrow as soon as I can.”

“At least I don’t have to go back out in this rain.” Heyes hung up his wet clothes and towel to dry.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning the heavy rain turned to drizzle. Curry watched from their room for the lawyer to open his office. “There’s the sheriff. Is he the Jack Cooper you know?”

Heyes came to the window and glanced out. He sighed and nodded his head. “Yep. He looks about the same so there’s no chance it’s not him.”

“Well, Mr. Jackson just arrived. You pack up our stuff and be ready when I come back from deliverin’ the package.” Kid Curry took the thick envelope and hurried out of the room.

Less than an hour later, the Kid returned and sat on his bed dejectedly.

“What’s the matter? Didn’t you get paid?” Heyes asked, concerned.

“We got paid.” He pulled the money out of his pocket and put it on the bed. “Better unpack.”

“Unpack?! Why?”

“There was a mud slide last night. Only road in or out is closed. We’re stuck here until they get it open.”

“Stuck here? I can’t be stuck here! For how long?” Heyes ran his fingers through his hair.

“Well, according to Gil – he owns the livery – the mine owners want the road open as soon as possible to get their supplies and deliver their silver to Denver. They’re pullin’ their men out of the mines to work on the road. They figure it could take up to two weeks.”

“Two weeks!”

Kid Curry nodded his head.

“There has to be another way outta town.”

Kid Curry shook his head. “I asked around and there’s not. A little further down the road is a minin’ camp in a box canyon. There’s only the one way.”

“Kid, how am I gonna stay outta sight for two weeks?”

“I guess you won’t be leavin’ this room. I’ll have to bring you up your food.”

“Two weeks…” Now Heyes sat dejectedly on the bed.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry walked through the lobby with a bag of food.

“Mr. Jones?”

“Yes, Mrs. Johnson?”

“I haven’t seen Mr. Smith since you arrived. Is he okay?”

“Well, ma’am, it appears he got a bad cold from bein’ wet. He’s been in bed with a mild fever and the shivers.”

“Oh, that poor man! I’ll make him some chicken soup. You make sure he gets plenty to drink and stays in bed. I’ll bring up a pitcher of water with the soup and leave them outside the door. I’ll knock on the door as I leave.”

Curry smiled. “Thank you, ma’am. I’ll make sure he rests and eats your soup.”

Heyes paced around the small room. He hesitated for a moment when he heard someone at the door.

“It’s just me. I brought you a sandwich.”

“Another sandwich?” Heyes asked irritated. “Is that all they serve in that diner?”

“No, it’s just the easiest thing to bring back to you.” The Kid handed him the bag. “You’ll have chicken soup pretty soon to go with it. Mrs. Johnson is makin’ you some.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re sick in bed with a horrible cold.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Would you stop pacin’! You’re makin’ me go crazy!”

“You’re going crazy? You can at least leave this room.”

Kid Curry got up and put his hat on.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m leavin’ this room!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Here you go.” Curry dropped a book on the bed next to Heyes. “I got you something to read so you won’t be so bored.”

Heyes picked up the book and looked at the title. “I’ve read this one before.”

“Well, read it again.”

Heyes sighed and put the book down.

“I could ask the Johnsons if they have a Bible. I know you haven’t read all of that.”

Heyes picked up the book. “That’s okay. This story is worth rereading.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Where’ve you been?”

“Got a drink at the saloon.”

Heyes paced. “At least you could’ve done is get me something to drink.”

Curry pulled a bottle from inside his jacket. “I did. Got a deck of cards for you, too. Thought we could play faro or twenty-one.”

“Thanks, Kid.”

“Oh, by the way, I met Sheriff Cooper and talked to him.”

“And…”

“Seems like a real nice guy. Wanted me to tell my partner he hopes he feels better soon.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes heard someone by the door and was on alert until he saw his partner. “Where were you?”

Curry removed his hat. “Took the horses for a ride up to the mud slide to see how it was goin’.”

“And?”

“It’s slow, Heyes. Real slow. One shovel at a time slow.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Mr. Jones, my wife was wondering how Mr. Smith is feeling.”

“He’s still in bed with a chest cold. I have him propped up with pillows so he can breathe easier.”

“That’s too bad. I’ll let her know to make more soup.”

“I’m sure he’d appreciate that.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“More soup?” Heyes got up from laying on the bed.

“Well, you are sick. Remember? Besides, soup goes good with sandwiches.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Heyes, tell me about Jack Cooper.”

“What do you wanna know?”

“How come you two didn’t get along?”

“Oh. Well, I was young and maybe a little cocky.”

“Just a little?”

“Do you wanna know or not?”

“Continue.”

“Cooper reminds me of Wheat. Not a leader but thinks he is. He was Plummer’s second until I proved myself to be better.”

“You were Plummer’s second?”

“No, but I would’ve been if he hadn’t disappeared with that $30,000. Me and Jack just butted heads on everything. One of us would have had to go, but then Plummer disappeared, and the gang disbanded. I bet Jack Cooper just MIGHT feel real good about being the lawman to bring in Hannibal Heyes.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ten days later, Curry came into the room with a smile. “Got some good news for you.”

Heyes looked up from his book. “Only good news would be that the road is open.”

“Not yet, but the good news is that it’s close to bein’ open again.”

Heyes furrowed his brow. “How close?”

“Just two more days!”

“Two more days?” Heyes shoulders drooped.

“What kind of sandwich do you want today?”

“Sandwich… Beans and bacon are starting to sound good.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“They’re sayin’ the road will be open tomorrow.”

“Finally! You better get some supplies and let Gil know to get the horses ready.”

“How are we gonna leave without Sheriff Cooper seeing you? He’s pretty observant and this is a narrow one-road town.”

“Hmm… What time will the road be open?” Heyes started to pace.

“They’re havin’ a grand re-opening in the late mornin’.”

“Maybe at night?”

“Heyes, I’m not travellin’ on that road in the dark!”

“I’ll think about it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry came in from breakfast and handed his partner an egg and bacon sandwich. “Folks are headin’ up the road for the grand re-opening. Even Sheriff Cooper is goin’. Too bad we can’t make our way out now.”

Heyes sat down and took a bite of his sandwich. “Are we all paid up for the livery and hotel? Have our supplies?”

“Yep, and it took most of what we earned doin’ this job.”

“You rode up to the mud slide before, right?”

Curry nodded. “Yeah.”

“Did you see anything we could use for covering?”

The Kid furrowed his brow as he thought. “There was an area just before the road narrowed that had a rocks and trees. We could use that for a coverin’. So, leave now and wait there until the folks come back into town?”

“Especially until Sheriff Cooper rides back to town.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes cautiously walked behind his partner as they made their way to the livery with their belongings and supplies. They quickly saddled their horses and tied on the saddlebags and rifles.

“Ready to leave Ouray?” Curry asked, as he mounted.

“Am I ever!” Heyes smiled and followed his partner out into the street. “Pretty quiet.”

“Like I said, everyone headed up for the re-opening of the road.”

They made their way out of town and a few miles down the road, Curry pointed to some rocks. “Here’s where we can wait until folks return to town.”

Heyes nodded and they dismounted to lead their horses behind the rocks and trees.

“This is perfect! We have a great view of the road, but they won’t see us,” Heyes commented.

An hour later, the townsfolks passed the area on their way back to Ouray, including Sheriff Cooper. When they were out of sight, Heyes and Curry led their horses back onto the road. They mounted and headed away from town.

“This must be where the mud slide was.” Heyes looked around the area.

“Yep. Now you can see how big it was and why it took so long to get the road open again.”

Heyes nodded. “That was a long two weeks. Felt like I was in jail the whole time. Don’t want to have to do that ever again.”

“Neither do I, Heyes. Neither do I.”

Gemhenry and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: The Road is Closed   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 7:11 pm

The bunny hopped with a straight literal take on the prompt. The story is a tad over but it' not for polling this month anyway.

The Road is Closed

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry leaned forward in their saddles. They both were intently reading the hand painted sign propped against a log in the middle of the road.

“THE ROAD IS CLOSED”

“Hmm, it says the road is closed, Kid”

“Yep, it does.”

“Doesn’t say why the road is closed.”

“Nope, it doesn’t”

“We’re supposed to be in Tres Piedros tomorrow at the latest.”

“That we are.” The blond turned around in the saddle, looking down the long, dusty, and winding road that they had traveled upon. “If we have to go all the way back to Caliente and then go south to the next road that goes east to cross the river before we can ride north again that’ll take us another day, at least.” He informed his companion as he watched dust devils skitter across the road.

Heyes quickly scanned the countryside as he tightened his hat’s stampede strings against the strong wind whipping across the mesa. It was high desert country, densely covered with a variety of pricky vegetation crisscrossed with deep arroyos. “It’d be slow going if we try to pick our way through this and go cross country. I’d sure like to know why the road is closed before we ride that much out of our way. Whatdya say if we ride a little further on and give it a look?”

“Okay by me.” Curry nudged his dark bay gelding to a slow walk under the hot sun. Heyes followed on his chestnut.

The two riders slowly made their way along the road that was gradually losing elevation as it entered the canyon and headed towards the narrowest gap in the river gorge for quite some miles. Conversation was minimal as they kept their eyes peeled for landslides, rock falls, wash outs, or other reasons for why the road might have been closed. They occasionally glimpsed the railroad tracks than ran roughly parallel to the road, which offered no further clues.

“Well Heyes, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out why the road is closed now,” Kid remarked as he helpfully but unnecessarily pointed to the obvious problem across the river gorge.

Heyes gave his partner a disgusted side-eye as they sat atop their mounts, starring at the uncrossable river gorge.

The existing suspension bridge was hanging from the opposite side, forming a nice cliff face decoration as it swayed side to side in the wind. The bolts anchoring the near side cables were still embedded into the rock that had once been attached to the their side of the gorge but had broken away and hung about fifty feet from the raging waters of the narrow river at the bottom of the canyon.

Heyes dismounted and stepped carefully up to the edge to take a closer look at the obstacle. He didn’t really expect to find an alternate route down and back up the canyon, but it didn’t hurt to at least look before he ruled that option out.

Curry waited semi-patiently while his partner assessed the situation, taking a drink from his canteen and habitually surveying the surroundings. Blue eyes widened as he looked to the right.

Heyes was now standing back from the edge with hands on hips and looking around, facing the Kid. He looked to his left and a dark eyebrow lifted in thought.

Brown eyes met blue. A brown head and a blond simultaneously looked up the river gorge and looked down the river gorge, lingering on the structure spanning the canyon in the distance.

“Most likely a railroad bridge.” The dark-haired partner observed.

“Probably for the line that’s been running more or less along the road,” Kid agreed.

“Wanna go see if we can cross it instead of riding way out of our way?”

“Can’t hurt.”

The ex-outlaws kicked their mounts into motion to pick their way through the inhospitable countryside in the direction of the railroad bridge.

Heyes and Curry stood by the side of the railroad tracks, evaluating the intact wooden trestle rail bridge. The bridge looked sturdy, although narrow with a wooden railing on each side about three feet up from the span. Kid Curry squatted down and examined the rails. “There’s no rust, little vegetation, and the rails are smooth. My guess is this line gets a fair amount of use. Did you happen to get a look at the train schedule while we were in town?”

The dark-haired partner untied his bandana from his head and wiped the sides of his face while he squinted into the distance, eyes following the tracks. “No, we weren’t planning on taking the train and we never robbed this line this far south that I recall. So no, I’ve no idea of the times the trains run.”

Kid straightened up and went to retrieve the horses. “Well, if we cross, we’ll have to walk the horses. Since we just bought them, we haven’t had the time to get used to each other. I don’t know how he’ll react to the swaying of the bridge in this wind plus the gaps between the boards and your chestnut seems a might skittish. Do we chance it?”

Curry handed Heyes the reins to his mount. Each man stood for a moment watching their four-legged companions with some regret for the old days of Devil’s Hole when they were able to keep and depend on trusted favorite horses that were more than a mode of transportation. Brown eyes met blue and a decision was made.

“Let me go first.” The Kid patted his dark bay’s neck before starting to walk forward. “This boy’s a little calmer and maybe if yours sees how it’s done, he’ll be a little easier to lead.”

The blond and his bay had cautiously traveled approximately twenty yards of the span, which they estimated to be a little over two hundred yards when Heyes pulled on the reins of his chestnut to start across. The chestnut placed his front hooves on the first board and then balked about moving further onto the bridge.

The dark-haired ex-outlaw spoke soothingly to his animal and gave him an encouraging pat. The horse stamped his feet and continued to refuse to move. Heyes tugged a little harder and kept up the soothing patter, while Kid and his bay continued slowly across the bridge. When the horse still refused to advance Heyes voice became deeper and louder to be heard over the gusty wind. The tug was a little sharper until they were finally on their way. The chestnut stopped every few steps and his brown eyes became a little wild as his flanks started to tremble slightly with nervousness or fear. The bridge, even though it was sturdily built, increased it’s swaying in the wind the canyon was funneling and intensifying. Vibrations of the wooden span became discernable.

Kid Curry had traveled about three quarters of the way when he stopped suddenly. The blond head cocked at the same time as the bay’s ears twitched upright as both man and beast stood listening. Boots and hooves were also registering the increased intensity of the span’s vibrations. There was a definite rumble coming straight at them. Kid’s blue eyes widened as comprehension hit him. A train was coming right at them. Curry didn’t need to hurry the bay along as the horse was starting to panic and its natural flight response kicked in. The bay took off, dragging the Kid along, straight at the oncoming train.

A loud whistle sounded above the ever-present roaring wind. Curry let go of the reins when he couldn’t keep up with the horse and narrowly missed stepping into the air between the gaps of the wooden bridge platform. He took a moment to look to see how far behind him Heyes and the chestnut were. Kid calculated Heyes had only made it about a third of the way across. The narrow bridge left no room on the sides, they either had to go forward or back and be really quick about it.

“HEYES! TRAIN’S COMIN’. GO BACK! GO BACK, NOW!” he shouted as loud as he could and hoped Heyes had heard him or at least the train’s whistle.

Kid knew the train would not be able to stop once it descended to enter the straight away for the trestle bridge. The engineer and brakeman would not risk a possible derailment and plummeting into the river gorge, by the sudden application of the brakes not even to save the life of man and horse, especially since the riders shouldn’t be on the bridge in the first place. He ran for his life, the jumping strides of his boots beating out a rapid cadence on the planks.

The loud clickity clack of the wheels rumbling along the rails grew louder. The dark shape of the steam engine came looming around the last bend before the train would start chugging across the trestle tracks. The steam whistle shrieked in warning blasts, louder and louder.

The bay’s hooves hit solid ground and the terrified animal veered sharply to the side of the tracks. His dark sides lathered with foam, heaving, and brown eyes rolling in distress. The gelding stopped some distance from the tracks as the reins snagged and tangled in a dense patch of cholla cactus.

Kid Curry looked up and saw the black and red of the train engine bearing down on him, nearly obliterating the view of the safety at the end of the bridge. Bile rose in his throat as his options flashed through his brain. With his heart pounding Kid jumped off the trestle platform, hoping to land on the rocky ledge that his peripheral vision registered and knowing if he timed it wrong or misjudged the distance he was leaping to his death. The roar of the train drowned out all sound as the cars chugged onto the trestle.

Heyes chestnut was in full uncontrollable panic. The horse stared wild-eyed across the span when the first blast of the whistle sounded. He reared, tearing the reins from the dark-haired former outlaw’s gloved hands. The terrified animal managed to turn himself around in the narrow space and bolted back the way he came, his hindquarters narrowly missing the man’s dark head but hitting into Heyes’ shoulder sending him to the floor of the bridge, precariously close to the edge. Dark gloved hands reached out for a secure hand hold and tan boots scrambled to get purchase to stand. His one hand missed the lone side railing and one leg slipped off the board and into the gap between planks. Brown eyes looked around to gauge the peril and widened in shock when Heyes realized he had only moments before he would be squashed. Despite his own desperate situation his mind registered his partner’s leap to the temporary safety of a ledge fifteen feet down from the edge of the gorge.

The nimble mind of the older partner discarded the option of up and moving off the span, leaving only one viable option. He rapidly peered down along the one dangling leg and knew his only option was to drop down between the planks onto the trestle structure and hold on for all he was worth. As he rolled his body into the gap, Heyes gave thanks for being thin as his sides grazed the wooden planks as he dropped. Grasping hands grabbed onto the first solid structure he encountered about ten feet down, and arms wrapped around the sturdy trestle beam while his feet sought a stable surface to brace himself with. One foot slid down the wood and an ankle lodged firmly in a V-shaped angle of wood with the pants snagged on a protruding spike.

The structure trembled and shook as the heavy engine and the following freight cars rumbled across the bridge towards its eventual destination.
The clackity clack rumbles faded into the distance, leaving only the sound of the still roaring wind creating eddies of blustering gusts blowing through the wooden trestle bridge. Heyes’ pounding heartbeat receded from his ears and his breathing slowed as the immediate danger passed.

Kid Curry had harrowing experiences involving trains before, more than he would have wished in his short life due to his overly clever partner having an abundance of confidence in the action partner’s athleticism to safely compete complicated plans. But this was the closest he ever came to actually being run over by a train, an ironic end for a former train robber. He was also no stranger to fear, having long ago learned to master that emotion in order to function. However, it took several minutes of quiet controlled breathing to recover his ability to move. He first looked for and spotted his partner, clinging safely to the under-structure of the trestle bridge. Curry slowly began the uphill climb, carefully planning his hand and foot holds along the cliff face.

The Kid reached the top and jogged over to his horse. He spent several moments calming the spooked animal before hobbling the horse in case it was able to free its reins from the cactus snag. Grabbing the lariat from the saddle, Curry set off to see about his partner, who had not moved any significant distance.

“Heyes? Heyes, are you alright?” The younger partner called down to the older man.

Hannibal Heyes peered up between the wooden beams and posts into the very worried face of his friend framed by the planks of the bridge platform.

“I think so, Kid. But my foot is stuck and I can’t move.”

Blonde brows drew into a tighter V and more furrows appeared in Curry’s forehead. “Did you break your leg or ankle?”

“No, I don’t think so, it’s just stuck on something. I can’t reach it without risking a fall off the bridge.”

“Oh, okay. I have an idea?’

“I’m the idea man. That’s our agreement.”

“Okay then, what’s your idea.”

“You come down here and help me.”

“That’s it, come and help. Gee, I never would’ve thought of that myself. Any particular ideas on how I should do that?” Kid didn’t keep the sarcasm from his voice.

“Your specialty is in the execution and logistics of my plan,” Heyes snapped back.

“Thanks for telling me. Give me a few minutes.” Curry tied one end of the lariat he was holding to the railing of the bridge. He firmly pulled on the rope to test the strength on the knot and of the railing. Then the Kid knelt on the floor of the bridge. A blonde head and faded red clad shoulders disappeared into the gap between the planks and blue eyes surveyed his partner’s position. Trusting brown eyes looked up.

“Heyes, I’m gonna drop a rope down that I’ve secured to the railin’. Do you think you can tie yourself off so if anythin’ happens you won’t fall off the bridge?”

“Yeah, I can do that.” replied the older man confidently. Then with a little less confidence a query drifted up, “What do you expect to happen?”

“Nothin’. Heads up.” A rope dropped down and dangled within arms reach of the temporarily trapped partner and was securely tied around a slim waist.

Kid nodded in satisfaction before he withdrew his head from the gap and stood up. He looked for the chestnut and was grateful the gelding hadn’t taken completely off but had stopped only a few yards from the spot by the bridge where they originally started from. He carefully trod across the planks to the end and calmly approached the skittish horse. It took him longer than he wished to get close enough to grab the reins and ground tie the chestnut. Kid then gathered Heyes lariat and returned to the spot directly over his partner.

Once again tying a rope to the bridge and testing its security, Curry then judged the distance he would need to travel before fashioning a harness of sorts and stepping into his creation. He took a deep breath and grabbed hold of a plank. It was a tight squeeze through but his gloved hands were able to control his descent to just below where Heyes’ leg was trapped.

“Glad you could join me.”

With just a hint of seriousness born out of the realization on how close death was cheated once again Kid Curry gave a quick nod of acknowledgement. “Me too.” The younger man then went to work on freeing his partner’s foot.

“Can you move your leg now?”

Heyes gingerly bent his knee and his lower leg moved freely and with relatively little pain. The partner’s shared a smile at the success.

“Whatdya say Kid, lets quit hanging around and get outa here.”

Blue eyes rolled but Curry heartedly approved of the idea. “Okay, let me go up first and then I can help pull you up once I’m settled up top.” The blonde placed his gloved hands on the rope and pulled himself up hand over hand until he was able to grab hold of one of the planks with one arm. Once he had a good hold on the plank and was able to squeeze back up through the gap Kid knelt back down to once again gage his partner’s position and the rope’s security.

“Hold on Heyes. I’m gonna pull you up now.”

It was slow going but eventually both ex-train robbers had both feet firmly on the sturdy bridge. They gathered up the lariats and looped them over their shoulders before walking slowly and steadily towards where Heyes’ chestnut was grazing on the sparse edible vegetation.

The gelding picked up his head and nervously watched the men approach. He backed up a way and bobbed his head up and down a few times, the red mane tossing to and fro with the movement and in the stiff wind. The men and horse eyed each other across the small distance.

It was a given that the chestnut was going to have to cross the bridge whether or not he wanted to. They needed to get back to the road and onto Tres Piedros and they needed both horses to do it. Heyes took the lead on how to coax the gelding back onto the bridge to join the dark bay on the other side. The two excellent horsemen, working together, used all their considerable combined horsemanship skills to cajole, prod, and lead the chestnut safely across the still slightly swaying railroad trestle bridge.

Horses and men survived the potential disaster to ride once again into the sunset. They mounted up and turned towards the direction of the road.

“Kid, whose idea was that to cross the bridge when a train was coming?”

Both men turned to each other, laughed, and yelled, “Yours, all yours!” They kicked their mounts into a trot and were on their way.

thrown train bronc

Gemhenry, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed   Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nov 21 - Road Ahead is Closed
Page 1 of 1