Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

May 2021 -A delicate operation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

May 2021  -A delicate operation  Empty
PostSubject: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 5:06 am

Me again...

Time to once again chase a goose, cut a quill and get writing...

The challenge this month will reflect the fact that during April I had a little stay in hospital followed by the nice part of being under strict orders to take it VERY easy for six weeks. My pale hands playing on coverlet act has been superb. samovar (I am healing up nicely thank you.)
The good news is - I am forbidden to use a hoover.
The bad news is - I am also forbidden to use a garden spade - which is frustrating.

So, this month, let your fertile imaginations rove on;

"A delicate operation"
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2021 3:26 pm

I, too, am having a "delicate operation" this week, Calico, and am restricted to light duty at home for a while. I suppose that means that you and I both have time to work on a challenge for this month! Double dare you!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 6:56 pm

NOT FOR POLLING - The story is way over the word limit.

After thirty plus years in perioperative nursing, I couldn’t pass up this prompt.

This story takes place in my “Terms” universe. Although, It can be read as a standalone with no problem.

A Delicate Operation

Cough, cough, cough. The man on horseback reigned in his black stallion and sat still in the saddle, catching his breath. He was on the last leg of his two-week trip from checking in on the Heyes and Curry Agency’s security accounts in the area between Victor and Cripple Creek and Denver. He was pleased to find out that almost all the security measures Heyes and he had put in place for the various accounts were still effective. Only a few tweaks to routes and procedures were needed as the clients had expressed their satisfaction with the Agency’s services. Despite the positive report he was bringing back, Kid Curry felt awful.

He had left Will-O-Wisp early in the morning, intending to push through the forty or so miles to Denver to be home in one day. However, what he thought was just a cold four days ago seemed to be developing into something more. His throat was terribly sore, a headache was pounding away, and he was feeling chilled, despite the warm weather. Taking a drink from the canteen proved to be a mixed endeavor, his thirst was satisfied but it hurt like the dickens to swallow. A sudden wave of intense fatigue swept over Kid and that clinched his decision to look for an appropriate campsite as he didn’t think he would even make the next town. The comforts of home and family would have to wait until the next day.

Finally reaching the Denver area was an exercise in endurance. Kid had ridden many times when all he wanted to do was rest and lie down but this last leg of this trip ranked right up there with the most difficult. The beginnings of the cold he left Cripple Creek with had intensified into real illness with each passing day and mile. It was getting late in the day and Curry had originally planned to stop by the office before heading home but instead went straight to the sprawling horse ranch outside Denver.

Erin Curry was just coming down the stairs with two-year old Michael clinging like a limpet to her hip and clutching a slightly tatty stuffed pinto horse. She gave a look of admonishment over her shoulder at the thump, thump she heard behind her. Sean, who was almost four, was caught in the act of hopping down the polished wood stairs, and flashed his mother a big blue-eyed look of innocence he inherited from his father along with Jed’s looks. Erin smiled inwardly to herself at the attempt in the face of blatant disobedience. Erin continued down the stairs on her way to the kitchen to see if the Moira, the family housekeeper, needed help with dinner when she looked towards the front door, Jed should have been home by now.

“Jed, are you alright?” gasped Erin as her eyes widened in alarm even as she saw her husband was plainly not alright. She lowered Michael to the floor in haste and started for the front door. The two curly, tow-headed boys took off in a rush to greet their Dad.

Jedediah Curry stood shakily in the front doorway, clutching the door jam in a desperate attempt to hold himself steady. Dark blond ringlets clung to his sweaty forehead; his glassy blue eyes swept the center hall as if he were searching for something. His chest rose and fell rapidly as a fit of barking coughs erupted before he managed a hoarse whisper that left him breathless, “Erin…you and the kids… keep away...I’m sick” while his left hand came up palm outward in the universal stop gesture.

Erin managed reached out and grabbed the back of the boys’ shirts right before they could launch themselves at their father, certain he would catch them. Erin crouched down and drew them back close to her, murmuring, “Not now, Daddy’s not feeling well.” She kept her hazel-green eyes on Jed and her worry increased. “Moira! Moira, can you come to here!” Erin yelled loudly in order to be heard in the kitchen. Both boys’ eyes grew wide.

“Mommy yelled in the house.” Sean decided to tell his father just in case he didn’t realize the misbehavior. Michael plopped down on the floor, staring at his Dad, and pulling Finley, the family fat orange-striped tabby into his lap for a group hug with the beloved stuffed pinto pony.

Kid staggered a few steps into the house and sank onto the bench set against the foyer wall, opposite the large coat closet. His back was stiff and he leaned forward with his straight arms planted on his knees, supporting his weight. He concentrated on drawing breaths in between the bouts of barking coughs. His throat seemed on fire and it was starting to take work to breathe.

Moira, Sarah, the eldest of Jed’s two stepdaughters, with Carrie and Charlie, the Curry spaniels, came hurrying into the center hall. Moira took one look and yelled even louder than her mistress, “Rachel, before you come here go get Mr. Dunne, quickly now! Tell him your father needs him.” The housekeeper was a little breathless herself in her haste to get to the center hall of the large ranch house. “What do you need me to do, Mum,” she asked Erin Curry while she was wringing the bottom of her apron in her hands.

“Shoo, you mangy mutts, shoo!” Moira tried to herd the female English Springer spaniel and male Brittany away from her employer. They were dancing around the sick man, vying for his attention.

Erin turned towards Sarah, “Lovey, please go ‘round to the stable yard and tell someone we need the ranch foreman or his assistant, you know, Mr. Wheat or Mr. Kyle in the house right now.” She then aimed her attention to Moira Dunne. “When the men get here, one can go for the doctor while the other can help me get Jed into the kitchen. He sounds like he may have the croup. Remember, how Sean sounded with that harsh cough, when he was two. Doesn’t he sound like that? Can you start some water to boil? Breathing in the steam helped.”

“Erin…” panted Kid. “Please…the children…I’m scarin’...them.” his gaze was centered on the two small boys. Michael looked like he was trying to squeeze the stuffing out of his pony and poor Finley was squirming in discomfort but tolerating the tight hold within one chubby arm while the other hand had a firm grasp on his mother’s hem. Sean was staring with wide eyes, his good-natured excitement at his father’s return had morphed into uncertainty. He was rocking back and forth on his heels while half hiding behind his mother and grabbing onto the back of her dress with both fists.

Both women looked appraisingly at the sick man and neither liked what they saw. Erin tried to stand back up and was almost pulled back down from little hands clutching her skirts. She gently loosened their holds, all the while trying to remain calm.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Hannibal Heyes was alone in his office, finishing up on some paperwork. Everyone had already left the office or was out on assignment. He checked his watch and decided to call it a day. Heyes was anxious to hear how his partner’s business trip went. According to the Kid’s last telegram he expected him to arrive in the office yesterday or early afternoon at the latest. Maybe he went straight home, after all he was bound to have missed his family, and especially since his wife was about five months pregnant with what the doctor thought may be twins.

Heyes owned a townhouse in Denver but also had a suite of rooms at the Curry ranch and he divided his time between the two locations. When the Kid was away and Heyes still in Denver, he made a point of staying at the ranch. Not that he really needed to, Connor Dunne, the general handyman and caretaker, was a competent and genial man. Wheat Carlson and Kyle Murtrey, after finally petitioning for amnesty and having it granted in only one year, a fact that still greatly annoyed Heyes, had looked up their old gang members. Kid, despite the misgivings expressed by Heyes, had hired them as Foreman and Assistant Foreman on the horse ranch that was expanding from a hobby into a money-making business. The old friends had developed a fondness for the Curry family and could be counted on to be protective if need be.

The senior partner of the Agency gathered his things and made ready to ride out to the ranch. After dinner was his best bet of catching his partner’s undivided attention before tomorrow’s business claimed their time.

~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~

“Bandit, what are you doing wandering round out here?” Heyes exclaimed. Kid’s spirited black stallion was grazing three quarters of the way down the lane leading to the ranch. He gathered the trailing reins of the errant horse and walked his chestnut gelding and Kid’s black around the back and into the family stable yard. He handed them off to one of the ranch hands. At least he knew Kid was home but Heyes couldn’t imagine his partner leaving his horse still tacked up and free to wander around. He hurriedly made his way to the kitchen back entrance and walked into chaos.

Sharp brown eyes took in the situation at a glance. Wheat and Moira were hovering over a hunched figure, head draped in a towel, sitting at the large oak kitchen table. Erin, who was sitting alongside Jed was holding a bowel of steaming water in front of her husband with the ends of the towel draped around the bowel, forming a loose tent. A big pot of water was boiling away on the stove. The family pets were all under the table in a heap with Kid’s youngest son Michael buried among them. Kyle was corralling Sean, Rachel, and Sarah in the Corner, passing them cookies. All three children appeared to be on the verge of tears. Heyes couldn’t help but notice that Sean was stuffing cookies into his mouth as fast as Kyle was passing them out, like father like son; he was not one to let anything get in the way of a good snack. The girls were just holding theirs at their sides. Pervading the scene were the harsh sounds of rapid breathing with even harsher barking coughs interspersed.

“Kid’s under that towel?” Heyes looked directly at Wheat, who nodded affirmatively.

“Oh, Heyes! I’m glad you’re here. Jed came home sick. He’s got a high fever and sounds awful. I thought it might be the croup but the steam doesn’t seem to be helping.” Kid’s wife rushed to explain. Erin put the bowel down and pushed a few limp light auburn hairs behind her ears that had come undone from her chignon. Her shapely brows drew down and her forehead furrowed as she glanced towards her husband.

Kid tried to sit up straight but after a moment resumed his forward leaning position. The towel slipped from over his sweaty and damp head to rest around his heaving shoulders. He panted out, “Heyes…get…Erin and…” and then ran out of breath as another coughing fit started.

“I’m not leaving,” Erin stated firmly as she batted her husband’s hand away when he weaky sought to nudge her up off the chair.

“Did anyone go for the doctor?” Heyes once again turned towards Wheat.

“Yeah, Heyes. Connor Dunne left a while ago. Even before Rachel found me. If the doc was home, they should be here real soon. Me and Kyle got the Kid in here.” Wheat gestured to Heyes to come closer. Heyes stepped over and leaned in. “Kid’s real sick, Heyes. He can hardly breathe and Erin is right, he’s burning up.”

“Thanks Wheat. Kyle, take the children into the parlor, or the play room or anywhere but here and keep them occupied.”

Kyle nodded at his orders and gently took the girls’ hands to shepherd them out with Sean in front.

“Kyle! You’re forgetting one.” Heyes pointed under the table.

The diminutive assistant foreman bent down and reached in amid the two dogs and one cat to gently pull the toddler out from his hiding place. That set the dogs barking in protest as well as causing Michael to howl. Kyle spied the stuffed pony lying under the cat and retrieved the comfort item. The little boy removed his fist from his mouth to grab the toy, hiccupped and let Kyle pick him up to join his brother and sisters.

The children and Kyle were just out of sight when Rachel paused, looking back to the kitchen doorway, her lower lip trembling and dark brown eyes filling with tears.

“Sarah, Is Daddy going to heaven like papa did?”

Kyle squatted down and gathered all four children into his arms as best he could. He looked his friend’s sable-haired stepdaughters, ten-year-old Sarah and eight-year-old Rachel, as well as the two blond, blue-eyed boys right into their eyes in turn. With his voice solemn and as confident as true belief could make it, he answered Rachel’s question, “No, your Dad is real sick but he’s staying right here. I’ve known the Kid, I mean your Dad for a lotta years. I’ve seen him pretty sick before back at the Hole and he always fights mighty hard to get better. With your mom’s, Uncle Heyes’, the Doc’s and everyone else’s help and his plain ol’ stubbornness, your Dad will get through this. You’ll see.”

The little group huddled on the floor looked up at the heavy tread of fast-moving footsteps that could be heard coming their way.

Connor Dunne had brought the doctor.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Doctor Richard Bartlett could hear his patient before he even entered the room. The sound of an upper respiratory obstruction was distinctive and he knew what the chief problems was, if not the cause, before he set his large black bag down on the table in front of his patient.

“Hello, Jed.” The doctor, who was in his late thirties, greeted his patient as he opened his bag and started to take a selection of needed items out and placed them on the table. His intelligent eyes noted the flushed cheeks, damp with sweat skin, the heaving shoulders, swollen neck, rapid movement of the man’s chest, and the typical respiratory distress tripod posture at a glance. There was no time to waste with small talk and social niceties.

“Mrs. Curry, can you get his shirt off for me? I need to listen to his chest.” He was already fitting the ear pieces of the stethoscope into place.

After a careful listen to the front and back of the chest along with the heart sounds as well as palpating the swollen neck, feeling the enlarged lymph nodes, the doctor put down his stethoscope and donned a headband with a concave large, highly polished mirror at the front. He looked towards Moira, the housekeeper. “Do you have a bright lamp? I need to look down his throat.” Moira hurried off to find an acceptable oil lamp. Wheat and Connor Dunne backed off along the side of the room to stay out of the way. Heyes had his arm around his best friend’s wife’s trembling shoulders.

“Alright, I know this will be uncomfortable but I need to look down your throat. Jed, open your mouth as wide as you can, I’m going to press down on your tongue with the wooden depressor. I promise I’ll be as quick as I can.”

Kid heaved as deep a breath as he could without coughing and opened his mouth. He flushed even redder as a bit of saliva dribbled down his chin. He could barely swallow. Erin leaned forward to dab the spit and withdrew so the doctor could look.

Doc Bartlett sighed as he put the lamp down on the table. He saw what he expected to see and it was not good news. He laid a hand on his patient’s shoulder and gave a small squeeze of encouragement.

“Okay, Jed has a very serious case of diphtheria. It’s a good thing that you came and got me when you did. Diphtheria is an infection of the upper respiratory tract, that is the back of the nose, mouth, throat and affecting the lymph nodes in his neck. It’s contagious and after we take care of Jed, I’ll need to explain what else must be done. For now, you can see that his neck is swollen from the infection. I can tell that the infection is caused by the diphtheria bacteria or germ as there is the characteristic gray pseudomembrane covering his tonsils and coating the back of the throat. Between the swollen lymph nodes, the membrane, and swollen tissues of his tonsils and throat, his upper airway is being slowly closed off.” The doctor paused in his explanation but he didn’t have much time to explain everything before action would need to be taken. As he was talking, he was searching his bag for the little used canvas roll of instruments that would be needed today.

Heyes spoke up first. “Doc, how bad is it going to get and what can we do about it.”

The doctor looked around at the very concerned faces surrounding him and delivered his recommendation. He held out the canvas roll of medical instruments. “Mrs. Dunne, please take everything out of this roll and put it in the pot of boiling water you have on the stove.” He directed his next words towards Erin and Heyes. “Jed, is struggling to get air past the obstruction the swelling is causing in his throat. You can see it is taking a lot of work to breath. See how his muscles between the ribs and the shoulder and neck muscles are moving with his breathing. That means Jed is using accessory muscles or muscles not normally used to help him pull air in and expel it out. It’s very tiring to breathe this way as it takes a lot of energy. He will not be able to keep up the tremendous effort to breathe and he’ll tire, won’t get enough air and eventually suffocate.” He reached down and grabbed one of Jed’s hands to hold out for Erin Curry and Heyes to examine. “See, he’s not getting enough air now, his nail beds are blue, and if you look closely his lips are blueish, too.”

Heyes and Erin looked at each other, so far, they could see everything the doctor was pointing out and their anxiety was increasing. Erin was searching the doctor’s face for some sort of reassurance her husband would be alright. Although Kid had not said a word since the doctor arrived, Heyes knew when he locked eyes with his struggling partner that he had heard and followed every word.

Dr. Bartlett took a deep breath in readiness to explain his plan for treatment. This was the part that spooked the patient and the family. It was sometimes difficult to get family members to agree to the delicate operation that was necessary to save a life. “There are things that we can do to reduce the swelling but they are limited in effectiveness. Currently, time for the disease to run its course is really the only cure. I’ve read in my journals that a company in Philadelphia is doing research on a diphtheria antitoxin made from horse serum that’s promising but it’s not ready for market yet, so we must wait. Unfortunately, with such a severe case as Jed’s we can’t afford to wait without a surgical intervention.” His eyes went around the room to gauge how his patient’s friends and family were following his explanation. The Doc was satisfied with what he saw. Erin Curry was visibly upset but maintaining control over her emotions and dividing her attention between her husband and him. Heyes was very focused and his intense dark eyes and set jaw gave evidence to his attention and grasp of the seriousness of the situation. The ranch foreman and caretaker both looked concerned but trying not to show how much. Moira Dunne had her back to him and was busy watching the instruments in the boiling water.

Kid reached out shakily and tapped Heyes’ thigh. With great difficulty he rasped out, “Avoided…hanging…don’t…wanna…die…like…this…now. Gotta…do…somethin’.” His eyelids fluttered and his body swayed in his seat. Heyes grasped his best friend’s hand and squeezed it tightly before surrendering it to Erin.

“You heard the man, Doc. What do you have to do?”

“Jed needs a tracheostomy. That is, I have to cut a small opening in his neck below the voice box into his windpipe and insert a curved metal tube into the opening so that he can breathe. His lungs sound fine. The metal tube will stay in until the swelling in his throat and neck goes down enough to breath normally, then I’ll take the tube out and the hole will close naturally. While the tube is in place, Jed will not be able to talk since it will be below the voice box, However, he will be able to drink and eventually eat soft foods with it in.” The doctor checked his watch to see how long the instruments had been sterilizing.

Erin gasped and she stepped closer to Jed, instinctually seeking comfort, before she realized she should be comforting him. The situation must be dire if such a drastic operation must be done. Her back stiffened, and the tears dried up as she willed herself back to calmness. She met Heyes’ brown eyes and drew strength from the concerned determination she saw there. She was not going to lose a second husband to illness. Erin was going to have done whatever was necessary to hold on to the love she didn’t know was possible until she met Jedediah Curry.

“I’m going to need a clean towel and a serving tray to lay the instruments on, another towel rolled up to shove under Jed’s shoulders to extend his neck for better exposure, and I’ll need the men to help hold him down once we get him positioned. We can use this table right here. It’s big enough for him to lie on and the firm surface is better than a soft bed.” The doctor looked apologetically at his patient and his family. “I can only use a tiny bit of Chloroform as I need Jed to be consciousness and actively working to breath as long as possible. When we lay him down, he won’t be able draw enough air in and will probably become agitated and try to fight us before he finally passes out. I’ll go as fast as I can but it’s important to hold his head and neck still. You think you can do that Heyes? Oh, and I might need you, Heyes, to hold a retractor for me. Mr. Dunne and your foreman can hold his legs down. Mrs. Dunne can hold the lamp for me.”

“What do you need me to do, Dr. Bartlett?” Erin noticed she was the only one not assigned a task.

Kid’s hot and sweaty hand slipped from his wife’s grasp to rest briefly on her softly swelling abdomen before planting once again on his knee, supporting his weight as he leaned forward. He wondered if he would ever know his growing blessing.

Heyes bent down to his partner’s level at the weak bat at his thigh to listen hard at the faint raspy whisper, “Erin…no…watch…children…take care…if…die.” He whispered back fiercely, “Kid, listen to me. You are not going to die. We didn’t make it this far for it to end this way. But I’ll make sure she isn’t in the room during the operation.” His attention was yanked back to the doctor as he was finished making his preliminary preparations.

Doc Bartlett reached to take Erin Curry’s hand between his and gave a little pat to the top. “Mrs. Curry, perhaps it would be best if you wait with in another room. You can determine where we can settle your husband after the surgery. He will need to be propped up in a reclining or almost sitting position to breathe easier. A window to let in fresh air would be helpful and if you can find somewhere close or on this floor so we don’t have to carry him far or upstairs would be ideal. Can you do that?”

“I don’t want to leave him.” The titian-haired woman worried her lower lip, her brow furrowed and the smattering of freckles across her nose stood out in a face going pale as she glanced between her suffering husband and the pot on the stove containing strange and slightly barbaric instrumentation. She reluctantly admitted her decision, “Yes, I can do that. I don’t want to cause Jed any more anxiety than he has already and I know he’s trying to protect me. I…I think…I think the chaise in the library will do. I’ll check. But first I should see how the children are doing. They have never seen their father sick with anything other than a cold. And the girls’ father passed away after a sudden illness, I need to reassure them that Jed will not do the same. He will get better?” Erin cringed as she heard her own voice go quickly from confident to pleading.

Wheat escorted his friend’s wife to join Kyle and the Curry children in the upstairs playroom to wait for the outcome. He promised to come get Erin as soon as the procedure was finished before he hurried back to the kitchen. It wouldn’t be the first time he had to hold Kid down but somehow removing bullets seemed a lot less scary than cutting a hole in someone’s neck even if it was a doctor doing it. He involuntarily shuddered at the thought.

All was set. While the doctor and Heyes thoroughly washed their hands, Moira wiped her employer’s neck with a gauze pad saturated from the small bottle of isopropyl alcohol the doctor had in his bag. The boiled sterilized instruments and metal tracheostomy tube, a stack of gauze pads, suture material, and needles were laid on a clean towel set upon a tray.

The men lifted Kid onto the table and sat him upright, supported by his partner’s strong arms. They could all see that the Kid was getting tired. He was blinking slowly and his eyelids were at half-mast. The rapid breathing was slowing and getting very shallow. The towel roll was in position towards the end of the table and Wheat and Connor Dunne were stationed at Kid’s legs. Moira had a lamp, burning brightly, in her hand ready to shine light where the doctor was working. Doc Bartlett felt the fast, irregular pulse at his patient’s wrist and frowned.

“Okay, is everyone ready and knows what they are supposed to do? We have to do this as fast as we can,” asked the doc while looking at each of his helpers in turn.

“Wait, Doc. Not for nothin’ but how many of these operations have you done?” Wheat wanted to know if he was going to have to watch his employer and longtime friend pass away.

Heyes straighten up and his brown eyes shot daggers at the man. “Wheat! What kind of question is that to ask now?” He spat out.

“No, it’s a legitimate question. This operation is not one that I have had to do very often since I moved out west. However, when I was in medical school and training in Baltimore, I had to perform it many times. Don’t worry, I do know what I am doing.”

Curry’s eyes shot open in panic and he managed to grab a fistful of Heyes’ sleeve. The older cousin whispered soothingly into the younger’s ear, “Doc Bartlett isn’t the fake doc, Kid. Remember, before you let him tend to Erin we investigated. He’s a legitimate doctor who went to one medical school, the University of Maryland. It’s a good school.”

A slight upturn of Heyes’ thinned lips acknowledged the doctor’s raised eyebrows and questioning look as the doc passed a gauze sponge with a few drops of chloroform on it under the patient’s nose and then his mouth. “Don’t take offense, Doc. We had our reasons and it’s a long story, which we’ll tell you sometime. Now, let’s get on with it.”

“Quite right. Lay him down slowly with the rolled towel under his shoulders so his head is tilted back. It’s okay if the top of his head is hanging slightly off the table. The most important thing is to stretch the neck out. Moira, shine the light over my left shoulder so there are less shadows.”

The helpers rushed to comply with the directions. As soon as the patient was lying down, it was evident that it was becoming impossible for him to breath. Kid’s legs started to kick and his arms came up in an attempt to get his elbows under him to push up from the table while he was trying to toss his head side to side in a desperate effort to draw breath. The men exerted pressure to keep him still but the effort wasn’t needed for long as Curry rapidly tired, his eyes closed, and his body became still. By the time the helpers fearfully looked up they realized the doctor had already made his incision and had a variety of small metal instruments clamped onto what they couldn’t see and wouldn’t know what the structures were even if they could.

“Heyes, hold this. Keep it where I have it.” Doc Bartlett had placed a metal instrument with a hook at one end in the operative field and gave it a small jerk to indicate that Heyes should grab the straight end. “Here, hold this second one in your other hand.”

Hannibal Heyes was repulsed by the idea that Kid had his throat cut and his best friend would have to breathe through a hole in the neck with a metal tube in it. But the intellectually curious side of the ex-outlaw was also fascinated with the procedure. Heyes, since he was standing at the top of Kid’s head with the doctor at the side of the neck, had a great view of the operation and he found himself watching closely.

Wheat, surprisingly, shared the impulse to look and watched as best he could from where he was since Kid wasn’t moving. Connor Dunne, however, was keeping his hands on his employer’s legs but had twisted to look away and struggled to hold his stomach contents in place. Moira had turned white while holding the lamp and but managed to keep it steady.

In a few moments the doctor was carefully inserting the metal curved tube into the tracheal opening that he made. The helpers startled when the patient’s chest heaved. One breath was followed by another deep breath and another before the breathing settled down into a regular rhythm. The doctor pressed firmly into the side of the swollen neck with two bloody fingers, feeling for the carotid pulse.

“He’s doing fine. Hold him just a little bit longer while I finish up in case he starts to come around now that his breathing is unencumbered.” The doctor started to anchor the side flanges of the metal tracheostomy tube to the neck with strong sutures to prevent the tube from becoming dislodged. Everyone took a deep breath of their own in thankfulness.

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

A cleaned up Jedediah Curry was sleeping peacefully on the large comfortable chaise in the first floor library, which Kid and Heyes also used as an office when they were at the ranch. He was exhausted from his ordeal and once he was moved and settled Kid had fallen into a deep slumber quickly. Erin Curry sat by her husband’s side, watching his chest rise and fall in an easy rhythm. It was a little disconcerting to see the small metal tube sticking out of Jed’s neck, but she would gladly get used to the sight for the time it was needed to keep him alive and with her and the children. The four children were standing lined up in the doorway asking tentative questions that their mother answered as best she could. Kyle, with a big smile on his face now that he knew Kid would survive, made sure the Kid’s kids did not enter the room per the doctor’s instructions. He gently prodded them away from the door when a cleaned up Heyes, Wheat, and the doctor came to his side.

“Thanks, Kyle. You’ve been a big help.” Heyes murmured to his former gang’s ex-explosive man as the little group passed by him and entered the library to stand looking down at the peaceful patient.

Doc Bartlett crossed over the large curved window seat set into the corner of the room. He pushed the curtains all the way to the sides and opened several of the windows in the turreted structure. A warm gentle breeze wafted in. He turned to the anxious group.

“The immediate crisis is over but Jed is not out of the woods yet. I’ll stay the night and a good portion of tomorrow to show one or two of you how to care for him and make sure everything is going well.”

Someone heaved a grateful sigh and Heyes would later swear it was Wheat.

“Now, while Moira is re-boiling the instruments before I can pack them away, I have more bad news.” The doctor pulled a chair around from in front of the desk and sat wearily. He wiped his brow with a handkerchief retrieved from a pocket. An emergency tracheostomy was always a delicate operation and stressful for both the patient and himself.

Heyes started pacing the length of the room with nervous energy that needed an outlet. Erin Curry squeezed her husband’s limp hand tighter as everyone directed their attention to the physician.

“Diphtheria is contagious. Everyone who has been exposed, that is the Dunnes, Heyes, your foreman and his assistant, as well as you, Mrs. Curry and the children will have to be quarantined for at least two weeks, possibly a little longer. That means everyone will need to stay away from others and remain at the ranch. It is best to limit the people in contact with our patient, and if someone does have contact with Jed or anything used by him such as glasses, dishes, and personal items will need to wash their hands immediately afterwards. Don’t worry, I’ll teach one or two of you how to mange his care. The rest will need to stay out of this room unless it is absolutely necessary to enter. You’ll need to keep the door closed most of the time, the windows open to circulate fresh air and the curtains open to let in the natural light.”

The Doc looked directly at his patient’s pregnant wife and delivered his recommendation that he knew she wouldn’t like but hoped she would see reason. “Mrs. Curry, because you are in the family way…”

Heyes chuckled to himself, despite the situation. Since the Kid had married Erin there wasn’t much time that she wasn’t in the family way. Jed Curry was certainly making up for lost time in having a family. He pushed the inappropriate thought back into the recesses of his mind and once more focused on what the physician was saying.

“…I’m recommending that you are not one of those tending to Jed. Instead you should focus on keeping yourself and your children, including the little ones yet to be born, as healthy as they can be.”

Erin dropped Jed’s hand as she stood up to protest. The man who was for all intents and purposes her brother-in-law quickly strode to her side and took her into his arms. He tilted her head up so he could look straight into her eyes and delivered a solemn promise.

“Erin, you know the doc is right. Kid wouldn’t want you to bear what he just went through. I promise I’ll take good care of him. It’s second nature for me, I’ve been doing it almost all my life as he has done for me.”

There was an abrupt clearing of a throat. “I’ll help take care of him, too.”

Heyes whipped his head around to stare with incredulity at Wheat.

The gruff man looked affronted. “What? I’ve done it before, when Kid’s been shot. I’ve helped with you too, Heyes, a time or two.”

Heyes’ expression softened slowly to one acknowledging the truth, Wheat Carlson had helped take care of both of the ex-leaders of the Devil’s Hole Gang at various times and had done a good job of it, at that. Despite the often contentiousness of their relationship, Heyes wouldn’t deny that Wheat, and also Kyle, for that matter, were loyal and hidden under their rough exterior was a man capable of compassion. Just don’t ever, tell them that though. Heyes and the Kid had earned their loyalty many times over the years not the least by taking a chance and employing them at the ranch as well as using Wheat and Kyle occasionally when the Agency needed their unique talents and ability to blend in.

“Thank you, Wheat, I know Jed will much appreciate you volunteering to help Heyes and will tell you so when he can talk again.” Erin leaned up to lightly kiss Heyes on the cheek, and whispered into his ear, “I don’t know what we would do without you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing what I want to do but shouldn’t.” She wiggled out of her husband’s partner’s arms and with tears once more beginning in her eyes rushed over to Wheat to give him a peck on his stubbled cheek.

Wheat blushed beet red as he quickly looked down, hiding his face.

Knock, knock. “Excuse me, I’ve got the doctors things, all boiled clean and dried, wrapped up in his canvas roll, Mum. I’ll put in on the foyer table with his bag. No one had any dinner, I can put together a tray of sandwiches with some cookies, and coffee and bring it to you. Would that be good?”

Erin looked over her shoulder at the others. “Forgive me for forgetting.” She turned back to the cook and housekeeper, “I couldn’t eat a thing but a small light supper would not be remiss. Thank you.”

“Well, now that we’ve got that decided, why don’t we all sit down, and I’ll go over some simple care instructions. I’ll leave detailed written instructions before I leave tomorrow and after that I’ll come by often to check up on Jed and the rest of the household who was exposed.”

As Jedediah Curry slept the others sat around the desk, learned what could be expected, how they should manage the challenges, and planned for his recovery and to mitigate the risks to the household.

Epilogue

Eight days after surgery, the tracheostomy tube was removed from Jed Curry’s neck. Five weeks to the day he was firmly on his way to a complete recovery when he sat down to his first large meal of regular food. He was ravenous after over a month of nothing but liquids then very soft foods. The Kid was left with a small scar in the hollow of his neck that added to existing collection of scar, which told one kind of story of the man’s life.

Everyone who was exposed to the contagion of diphtheria managed to avoid contracting the disease with the exception of one.

Wheat Carlson came down with a very mild case of diphtheria and was competently taken care of by Hannibal Heyes to the disgust of both men. Wheat recovered quickly and was back to his old self before Kid was eating solid food.

The ranch and ranch hands survived Kyle Murtrey’s time as ranch foreman, while Wheat was laid up. It was determined that Kyle who spent minimal time with Kid Curry could escape quarantine after seven days with no symptoms.

Hannibal Heyes left the ranch outside Denver and retreated to his town house for much needed rest and solitude as soon as Kid was firmly on the road to recovery and the quarantine period was lifted by Doctor Bartlett. Heyes had taken care of Kid and then Wheat as well as dealing with Agency business that was dropped off at the ranch at regular intervals with his characteristic high level of competence.

Fourteen weeks after the surgery, Erin Curry delivered small but healthy twin baby girls. They were named Elizabeth and Bridget after Jedediah’s and Hannibal’s mothers.

Notes:

Upon reading this prompt, I knew I would have to do a story regarding an operation in the medical sense. Tracheostomy came to mind as that particular surgery has been around since ancient times. Early in the COVID pandemic before the medical community learned how to best treat the disease many patients were maintained on ventilators, always a double-edged sword, for a long time. The OR was doing so many tracheostomies it seemed like the ENTs were having a two-for-one sale on them. Now I just had to find the right disease for an adult that would necessitate the surgery as I didn’t want to go the near hanging route.

Diphtheria -Diphtheria is an infection caused by the bacterium Corynebacterium diphtheriae. Signs and symptoms may vary from mild to severe. Symptoms of diphtheria include fever of 38 °C (100.4 °F) or above; chills; fatigue; bluish skin coloration (cyanosis); sore throat; hoarseness; cough; headache; difficulty swallowing; painful swallowing; difficulty breathing; rapid breathing; foul-smelling and bloodstained nasal discharge; and lymphadenopathy. They usually start two to five days after exposure. Symptoms often come on fairly gradually, beginning with a sore throat and fever. The neck may swell in part due to enlarged lymph nodes. The most notable feature of diphtheria infection, however, is the formation of a thick gray substance called a pseudomembrane over the nasal tissues, tonsils, larynx, and/or pharynx. This can block the airway and create a barking cough as in croup.

The disease may remain manageable, but in more severe cases, lymph nodes in the neck may swell, and breathing and swallowing are more difficult. People in this stage should seek immediate medical attention, as obstruction in the throat may require intubation or a tracheotomy. An infected person, unless treated with antibiotics, is infectious for two to three weeks.

In 1883, Edwin Klebs identified the bacterium causing diphtheria and named it Klebs-Loeffler bacterium. The club shape of this bacterium helped Edwin to differentiate it from other bacteria. Over the period of time, it was called Microsporon diphtheriticum, Bacillus diphtheriae, and Mycobacterium diphtheriae. Current nomenclature is Corynebacterium diphtheriae. In 1895, H. K. Mulford Company of Philadelphia started production and testing of diphtheria antitoxin in the United States. Park and Biggs described the method for producing serum from horses for use in diphtheria treatment.

The current U.S. childhood immunization schedule for diphtheria includes five diphtheria toxoid immunizations before age six years, plus one booster dose for adolescents. (A toxoid is a toxin modified to invoke an antibody response, but not capable of causing disease.) All diphtheria immunizations for children are given in a single injection combined with tetanus toxoid and pertussis vaccine (known as DTP or DTaP). Adults receive diphtheria toxoid in combination with a tetanus toxoid booster, which is recommended every ten years. The adult product can protect against tetanus and diphtheria (a vaccine known as Td) or all three diseases (a vaccine known as Tdap).

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/timeline/diphtheria

Tracheostomy - Tracheostomy is a life saving procedure done to establish airway in-patients with upper respiratory tract obstruction. It requires an opening to be made in anterior wall of trachea and a tube is inserted through the opening to allow passage of air and removal of secretions. Instead of breathing through the nose and mouth, the patient now breathes through the tracheostomy tube. If we look into history, the tracheotomy is one of the oldest surgical procedures, which was dreaded with complications until 19th century when procedure was understood clearly and indications properly defined. The etymology of the word tracheotomy comes from two Greek words: the root tom- (from Greek τομή tomḗ) meaning "to cut", and the word trachea (from Greek τραχεία tracheía).The word tracheostomy, including the root stom- (from Greek στόμα stóma) meaning "mouth," refers to the making of a semi-permanent or permanent opening, and to the opening itself.

By the late 19th century, some surgeons had become proficient in performing the tracheotomy procedure. The main instruments used were:

"Two small scalpels, one short grooved director, a tenaculum, two aneurysm needles which may be used as retractors, one pair of artery forceps, haemostatic forceps, two pairs of dissecting forceps, a pair of scissors, a sharp-pointed tenotome, a pair of tracheal forceps, a tracheal dilator, tracheotomy tubes, ligatures, sponges, a flexible catheter, and feathers".

Haemostatic forceps were used to control bleeding from separated vessels that were not ligatured because of the urgency of the operation. Generally, they were used to expose the trachea by clamping the isthmus thyroid gland on both sides. To open the trachea physically, a sharp-pointed tentome allowed the surgeon easily to place the ends into the opening of the trachea. The thin points permitted the doctor a better view of his incision. Tracheal dilators, such as the "Golding Bird", were placed through the opening and then expanded by "turning the screw to which they are attached". The optimum tracheal tube at the time caused very little damage to the trachea and "mucus membrane"

In the 1820s, the tracheotomy began to be recognized as a legitimate means of treating severe airway obstruction. In 1832, French physician Pierre Bretonneau employed it as a last resort to treat a case of diphtheria. In 1880 Morell Mackenzie's book discussed the symptoms indicating a tracheotomy and when the operation is absolutely necessary.

http://ispub.com/IJORL/4/2/7498

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheotomy

Alcohol has been used as an antiseptic as early as 1363, with evidence to support its use becoming available in the late 1800s. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines. Commercial formulations of alcohol-based hand rub or with other agents such as chlorhexidine are available. At concentrations greater than 60 percent, alcohol effectively kills germs on the skin and household surfaces. Microbes including bacteria, viruses, and fungi are susceptible to alcohol's germicidal effects.

A 70% concentration of ethanol or isopropyl alcohol has been demonstrated to be the most effective. Water acts as a catalyst and plays a key role in denaturing the proteins of vegetative cell membranes. The water content slows evaporation, therefore increasing surface contact time and enhancing effectiveness. At concentrations higher than 80-85% the effectiveness of alcohol as a disinfectant decreases.

The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHUSOM), located in Baltimore, Maryland, is the research-intensive medical school of Johns Hopkins University. Founded in 1893, the School of Medicine shares a campus with the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Children's Center, established in 1889. Johns Hopkins has consistently ranked among the top medical schools in the United States, in terms of the number of research grants awarded by the National Institutes of Health, among other measures. When I think of medical schools in Baltimore, Johns Hopkins immediately comes to mind, however it was not established in time for this story as the first graduating class would have been 1897.

The University of Maryland School of Medicine (abbreviated UMSOM), located in Baltimore City, Maryland, U.S., is the medical school of the University of Maryland, Baltimore and is affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical Center and Medical System. Established in 1807 as the College of Medicine of Maryland, it is the first public and the fifth oldest medical school in the United States. It was also the first medical school to institute a residency training program. UMB SOM's campus includes Davidge Hall, which was built in 1812, and is the oldest building in continuous use for medical education in the Northern Hemisphere.

EleanorW, Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 10:28 pm

A Delicate Operation

“Kid… Kid…” came a pained whisper from the other bed.

Kid Curry yawned and stretched, then cocked his head to listen for a repeat of what noise had woke him up.

“Kid…”

He turned his head towards his partner. “Heyes, you okay?”

“No.”

The Kid sat up and felt for the oil lamp and matches on the table. He lifted the glass chimney, struck the match, and lit the wick.

Heyes groaned and put his hand over his eyes until Curry lowered the wick to cast a soft light.

“What’s wrong? Where’re you hurtin’?

“My gut. Must’ve been something I ate.”

“You hardly ate at all yesterday.” Curry went over to his cousin’s bed and put a hand on his forehead. “You’re warm.”

“Bucket!”

“Bucket?”

“Need a bucket! Hurry!”

The Kid quickly got a bucket from the table and barely handed it to Heyes when the nausea took over.

“Feel better?”

Heyes shook his head and threw up some more.

“Anything I can do?”

More shaking of a brunette head.

“Let me empty that and get you some water.” The Kid took the bucket and went outside to empty and rinse it. He found another pail and filled it with water from the creek. His brow was furrowed with concern, his blue eyes with worry for his partner as he returned to Heyes' bedside.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

As the sun was rising over the mountains, Kid Curry made a decision. He dressed and saddled a fast horse before knocking on the bunkhouse door. “Wheat. Preacher. Wake up!”

The Devil’s Hole Gang moaned in their beds and turned from the noise at the door.

“Wake up! Heyes is real sick and I need someone to go and watch over him while I get a doctor.” Curry went over to Preacher’s bed. “He passed out last night?”

“Yeah,” came a muffled answer under a quilt.

Kid Curry walked over to where the answer came and snagged the quilt, pulling it away from the inhabitant of the bed.

“What the…” Wheat sat up, ready to fight who stole his blanket.

“Wheat, I need you to go over and keep an eye on Heyes. Have Preacher watch him when he wakes up. I’ll be back as soon as I can with a doctor.

“Yeah, yeah.” Wheat yawned and scratched his head.

“Now!”

“Okay! No need to get proddy,” Wheat grumbled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Before noon, Kid Curry rode into town of Piedmont, located near the Union Pacific railroad. He stopped by the mercantile where two men were sitting outside and playing checkers. “Excuse me, where can I find the doctor?”

“Ol’ Doc Barton died. We got us some young doc from back East. Check!”

“Where can I find him?” Curry asked impatiently.

“He’s living at the boarding house at the edge of town. Says he ain’t staying long.”

“Thanks!” The Kid reined his horse over to the livery.

“Can I help you?” The livery owner leaned against a pitchfork.

“I need two of your fastest horses saddled and ready when I come back.”

“Those two in the corral have some spirit. You think you can handle them?”

“Yep.” Kid Curry handed the man a few bills. “Keep what’s left over. Just have them ready as soon as possible.”

The livery owner smiled as he took the money. “Yes, sir!”

Next, the Kid hurried to the boarding house nearby and knocked on the door.

An older woman answered the door. “Yes, may I help you?”

“I need the doc.”

“He’s at his office a few doors down that way,” she pointed.

Kid Curry nodded and tipped his hat. “Thank you, ma’am.”

He dashed down the street until he found the doctor’s office and knocked before entering. “Doc?”

A young man came out from behind a desk in a room full of books. “May I help you?”

“I need the doctor!”

“I am the doctor.”

“You? Ain’t you a bit young?”

“I’ll have you know I graduated top in my class in New York,” the doctor stated, indignant.

“Well, get your stuff and hurry.”

“Where are we going?”

“Don’t matter. My partner’s hurtin’ real bad.”

“Hurting where? What are his symptoms?”

“Does it matter?” the Kid asked frustrated.

“As a matter of fact, it does. If he can’t come here, I have to make sure I take everything I’ll need.”

“It’s his gut. He’s warm and has been all bent over throwin’ up, even water.”

“Where exactly is the pain?”

“Right about here, I think.” Curry pointed to his lower right side. “At least that’s the area his grippin’ with his arm.

“Oh my. And when did this start?”

“He woke me up moanin’ in pain in the early hours of the mornin’. That’s when he started overthrowin’’ up.”

“Okay, I may need some ether and rags, my bag, and maybe I should bring some instruments, just in case…”

“Hurry up, doc.”

“I am! I need to be sure I bring everything! I won't be any good for my patient if I'm not prepared to help him.”

Curry sighed. “I’ll go get the horses.”

The doctor gathered his items, put on his coat, and grabbed his hat. He walked outside. “Where’s the buggy?”

“Buggy?” Curry asked, holding the two horses.

“We’re not riding those, are we?” The physician pointed to the dancing horses.

Kid Curry nodded. “Yeah. You got a problem?”

“Yes! I can ride, but not one of those. Isn’t there a docile animal at the livery?”

“We don’t have time for you to ride a docile animal. Give me your stuff and get on that horse NOW!”

“No! I’m not breaking my neck riding on that creature.”

“Look doc, I heard a rumor you ain’t stayin’ in this town long.”

“I most certainly am not! I was on my way to San Fran…”

“I’ll get you to San Francisco iff’n you get on that horse and save my partner.”

“You’ll pay for a train ticket to San Francisco?”

“Yep!”

“Here’s my bags.” The doctor handed over his item and cautiously mounted the horse.

Curry returned the bag to him. “Put the handles around the horn and just hang on. I’ll take the reins and lead the horse.” The Kid quickly mounted, grabbed both sets of reins and spurred his horse out of town.

“Ahhhh…” screamed the doctor, hanging on for dear life.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

After a few hours, Kid Curry slowed the horses to a walk to give them a rest.

“Can’t we stop and rest, too?”

“Nope.”

“How far away is this place?”

“Just over halfway there.”

“My backside will never be the same!” the doctor groaned.

“Hang on!” Curry urged the horses into a lope.

The physician clung onto the pommel for dear life, praying he'd live long enough to meet his newest patient.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry reined in his horse near the entrance of the Hole. He pulled out his gun and shot it three times into the air.

The doctor looked puzzled. “Where are we? Why’d you do that?”

“Doc, I hate to do this to you, but I have to blindfold you.”

“WHAT!?!”

“It’s for your own good.” Curry took a clean bandana from his pocket and reached over to tie it around the doctor’s eyes.

“This must be a hideout! You’re… you’re an outlaw!” the doctor sputtered. “I’m going to die!”

“You’re not gonna die unless you don’t try savin’ my partner.”

“He’s an outlaw, isn’t he?”

“Don’t you havta take some kinda hypocrite oath about savin’ all folks?”

“It’s the Hippocratic Oath, not hypocrite oath, and yes I did make an oath to treat the ill to the best of one's ability.”

“That’s all I’m askin’. Just a few more miles and I’ll take it slower since you can’t see.”

“I’d appreciate it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two horses rode into the Hole. Before his horse was completely stopped, Kid Curry jumped down and hurried to the leader’s cabin. Preacher came out and greeted him.

“How’s Heyes?”

“Still alive but he’s in a bad way.”

“Help the doctor get down and someone take care of the horses,” Curry ordered as he went into the cabin.

Heyes laid in the fetal position barely groaning.

“I’m back with the doc, Heyes. Hang in there.”

The doctor stiffly walked into the cabin with his bag. He took in his surroundings and the bed with the patient.

“What’s his name?” asked the doctor. “I like to know who my patient is.”

“Harry.”

“Harry?” the doctor questioned.

“Okay, Heyes.”

“As in Hannibal Heyes? That means you’re…”

“Kid Curry. You can call me Jed. Help him, Doc.”

The doctor went over to the bed and felt his patient’s forehead. “Is he warmer than he was earlier?

Curry place his hand on Heyes’ head. “Yep.”

“Mr. Heyes…”

“Just Heyes.”

The doctor looked over at the Kid.

“He just goes by Heyes – no mister.”

“Heyes, I’m Dr. Ryan Morris. Where exactly does it hurt? Point to the source of your pain.”

Heyes held his stomach tighter.

“I know your stomach hurts, but I need to know exactly where. The whole thing? I’m going to have you lie flat on your back so you can show me.” Dr. Morris slowly pushed Heyes out of the fetal position and onto his back.

Heyes gasped in pain.

“Can’t you give him something for the pain?” Curry asked.

“Not until I know exactly what is ailing him.” The doctor gently prodded his patient’s stomach. “Tell me when it hurts.”

When the doctor touched the right lower side of patient’s abdominal area, Heyes cried out and went back into the fetal position.

“Darn, it’s what I feared – right lower quadrant inflammatory disease.”

“A right lower… what?”

A right lower quadrant inflammatory disease. There’s an inflammation in the area.”

“What can you do for it?”

“If I was in an eastern hospital, I’d consider operating.”

“Operatin’? And if you don’t?”

“There’s a good chance he’ll die.”

“Have you done this operatin’ before?”

“I studied General Surgery under Dr. Willard Parker from Francistown, New York. I watched as he performed one of these surgeries.”

“Well, then, you have to operate!”

“Do a delicate operation in these conditions?! Why he’d die from an infection if I did that.”

“You tell me what has to be done and it’ll be done.” Kid Curry looked around the cabin to make sure no one was around. “Doc, nobody here knows this, but me and Heyes are kin. You gotta save him. He’s my only family now.”

Morris sighed. “Well, it’ll be best if we operate on that table. It has to be scrubbed well with soap and water. The patient has to be washed and only wearing clean long johns. His bedding has to be changed and unsoiled. I’ll need hot water to sterilize my tools. Light – lots of light.” He looked at Kid. “You'll need to wash up, too, before you touch my patient.”

“Okay.”

“You can do all of that?”

“Yep. While we get ready, why don’t you rest some and supervise. I’m sure there’s somethin' cookin’ in the bunkhouse we can bring you.” Kid Curry stuck his head out of the door. “Wheat, Kyle, everyone… I need your help. Get lots of water heatin’ up. Get the lye soap and brush in here and wash down the table. Bring the doctor something to eat and fresh water to drink. Doc has to operate on Heyes. Find all the lanterns you can. Hurry up!”

The Devil’s Hole Gang sprang into action at Curry’s orders. The doctor sat near the fireplace and ate stew. Soon the water was warm so Curry could clean up before he washed his partner. The table was scrubbed clean. The stove had boiling water waiting for the surgical instruments. Fresh bedding was out and ready to put on the bed. Less than an hour passed before the doctor declared all was ready.

“We gonna need men to hold him down?” Wheat asked.

“No. I brought some ether to put him out. The fewer men in here, the better. Everyone needs to wash their hands and arms before touching anything, especially the patient. Do you have any alcohol?”

“We got whiskey.”

“Good. Bring me a bottle. I’ll sterilize the table and incision area with it and then we’ll pour some on our hands.

“You heard the Doc. Clean your hands, up to your elbows. And Kyle, spit out that chew,” Kid Curry ordered.

Wheat, Preacher, Kyle and the Kid washed their hands and arms while the doctor supervised and wiped the clean table with alcohol.

“Okay, we’re ready. Carefully lift Heyes from the bed to the table.”

The four men carried Heyes to the table while the doctor put a few drops of ether on a rag.

Heyes moaned as he was moved and tried to curl up in the fetal position, again.

“In a few minutes, he won’t be feeling anything,” Dr. Morris assured the Kid, who was looking distraught. He placed the rag over Heyes’ nose and mouth for a few moments. Heyes’ body went slack.

Kyle’s eyes widened. “Did Heyes just die?”

“No, he’s asleep.” The doctor rolled down the patient’s long johns.

Kyle took the cloth. “Just ‘cause you put this under his nose?” He smelled the cloth and fell to the floor.

“Kyle, you okay?” Wheat bent down and gently slapped his face.

The doctor sighed. “He breathed in the ether, too. He’ll be sleeping for about an hour and feel sick afterwards.”

“Wheat and Preacher, get him outta here and don’t let no one come in unless I say so,” Kid Curry ordered.

“Hold out your hands while I pour alcohol on them and rub it in good. You’ll be handing me instruments and helping with the surgery.”

Kid Curry cupped his hands as Morris poured a little alcohol in them and wiped down his hands.

“Ready?”

Curry gulped. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Good. Now hand me that thing that looks like a knife.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few hours later, Heyes rested in his bed and the cabin was cleaned of blood. The Kid and the doctor sat by the fireplace having a glass of whiskey.

“Heyes ain’t gonna be happy when he wakes up and realizes he has that scar.”

“From what I saw, that’s not his first scar and, I bet, it won’t be his last.”

Curry sighed and took a sip. “That thing you took outta him wasn’t even the size of my little finger and it caused all that pain.”

“It was a good thing you convinced me to operate. It looked like it was about to rupture and then he would have surely died from all the poison in his system.”

“He’s gonna make it though, right?”

The doctor smiled. “As long as there’s no infection. Heyes seems young and strong so I think he’ll be able to fight any infection.”

“So, Doc, why are you from the East and in Piedmont?”

“I was on my way to San Francisco but didn’t have enough fare to make it all the way. I told the ticket office to get me as far west as they could, and this is where I ended up. Thought I’d work for a year or two here to get enough money for a fare all the way to San Francisco.”

“Me and Heyes are beholdin’ to you. We’ll make sure you make it all the way this time and with some money to start out with once you get there.”

“I’d appreciate it.”

~ *~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, Heyes woke up.

“How are you feeling,” Morris asked.

Heyes thought a moment. “Okay. Sore.” He looked around the room.

“I’m here, Heyes. This is Dr. Morris and he saved your life.”

Heyes smiled. “Thanks.” He fell asleep, again.

“He should be fine. His incision area looks good. Just keep it clean and wiped down with alcohol.”

Curry nodded. “Thanks, again, for comin’ with me.”

“No problem. I really should be getting back to town.”

“I’m havin’ Wheat take you back. I wanna stay with Heyes.”

“I completely understand. I don’t have to ride that same horse, do I?”

Kid Curry smiled. “Nope. We should have a fairly docile one for you to ride.” He went over to a crude desk and pulled out some money. “This should be plenty for a train ticket and spendin’ money once you get to San Francisco.” He handed him a wad of bills. “Hate to tell you this, but Wheat’ll have to blindfold you until you’re outta the Hole…”

“For my good. I know.” The doctor gathered his coat, hat and bag. He held out his hand. “Well, Jed Curry, I’m glad I got to meet you this way and not while being held up on a train. You and Heyes might want to consider another less dangerous profession.”

The two men shook hands.

“We’ll think on it.” The Kid nodded and gave Dr. Morris a grin.

Author’s Notes:

A few autopsy reports from the 16th to 19th centuries noted perforated appendices. Doctors took note of the phenomenon and named this “right lower quadrant inflammatory disease.” However, they still didn’t blame the appendix itself.

The first successful operation addressing an intestinal perforation due to an abscess of the appendix, was reported by the English surgeon Henry Hancock (1809–1880) at the Charing Cross Hospital in London.

This case was then followed in 1867 by the first in the US authored by Willard Parker (1800–1884) from Francistown, NY. Parker advocated the opening of appendicular abscesses at an early stage.

In 1886, U.S. doctor Reginald Fitz presented a study at the first meeting for the Association of American Physicians in Washington, DC. Dr. Fitz stated that most cases of so-called right lower quadrant inflammatory disease actually started in the appendix. In his presentation, Dr. Fitz used the term appendicitis for the first time. Additionally, he recommended prompt surgical removal for treatment, which he named an appendectomy. By 1900—just 14 years after Dr. Fitz’s presentation—thousands of appendectomies had been performed. Mortality rates of appendicitis dropped.

EleanorW, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2021 7:13 pm

A Delicate Operation

Above the noise of hammers pounding nails and wood being sawed, an occasional oath filled the air as the hammers missed their mark and hit human flesh instead.

“Joshua,” Kid Curry winced, then spoke through teeth clenched in pain and cradled one hand with the other, “I don't know why I let you talk me into takin' another carpenter job – I'll be lucky to have one finger that hasn't been mashed flat by the time we finish this job!”

Heyes held up his own bruised hand. “At least today's our last day. We can ride outta here tomorrow with money in our pockets.”

“Won't be able to get the money outta my pocket 'til I get the feelin' back in my fingers!” the Kid grumbled. “Think anybody'd notice if a few hammers went missin'?”

“They'd notice and we wouldn't get paid.” Heyes frowned. “After going through all we have these past two weeks, we're definitely gonna collect our pay.  Get back to work!”

Curry sighed, then reached for his nemesis and a nail. Holding the nail between his first finger and thumb, he took careful aim, raised the hammer and brought it down. Immediately the air was filled with a howl of pain. The Kid tried to alleviate some of the agony by shaking his hand back and forth. It didn't help. He scowled at the hammer in his hand and raised it in the air.

“Don't even think about it,” Heyes warned.

Curry turned to favor his partner with 'the look'.  “You jus' worry 'bout your hammer an' I'll worry 'bout mine!” he growled and lowered it. “I wasn't really serious, you know.”

Heyes bit back a grin

~*~*~*~*

Curry looked up as the foreman approached. “What's up, Joe?”

“I've got one last job for you before quitting time, Jones.”

“Does it involve a hammer and nails?”

“Nope, just those leftover boards over there.” He pointed to a nearby pile. “I need you to toss 'em outta the way. C'mon, I'll show you.”

The Kid listened as Joe explained, then nodded when the foreman finished. “That shouldn't take me too long; I'll get right on it, Boss.”

“When you're finished, meet me by the bank; I'll be handing out pay.”

“Sure thing; see ya in a bit.” Curry bent down and picked up a board. It wasn't hard work; soon the pile was reduced to two boards. The Kid picked one up and flung it on top of the others. Gripping the final board in his right hand, he flung it wide. A look of pain crossed his face. He grabbed his right hand, held it against his body, and squeezed his wrist hard. Biting down on his lip, he drew blood as waves of pain consumed him and forced him to his knees. He closed his eyes as he fought to gain control.

It took a couple minutes, but after taking a few deep breaths, Curry got to his feet and dared to look down at his right hand. “No wonder it hurts so bad,” he muttered. “That's one giant splinter!” It had embedded itself in such a way that it was going to require great skill to remove it.  As he examined his hand further, the Kid discovered there were about a dozen more smaller splinters, but they were insignificant compared to the big one.  He tried to close his hand but found it impossible and frowned. “That's not good–”

“Hiya, Kid. Whatcha doing?”

Curry whipped around to find Heyes only a few yards away. He quickly lowered his hand to his side. “Perfect timing! Jus' finished a job Joe gave me. You ready to go get our pay?”

“What did he need done?”

“Nothin' much; jus' movin' some of the scrap boards.” He grinned. “I didn't care as long as it didn't involve a hammer!”

“Yeah, think I'd rather ride drag on a cattle drive than hitting one more finger instead of the nail!” Heyes grinned back. “Let's get going; I can almost taste that beer!”

The partners headed off in search of Joe.

~*~*~*~*

Sitting in the saloon, enjoying their beers, Heyes tapped Curry on the leg with the back of his hand.

“Hey, that table over there just opened up with two seats. C'mon, let's go.”

Curry shook his head. “You go an' play; I'm jus' gonna sit right here an' relax.”

“You sure?”

“Yep; go win us some money. I'll watch your back.”

Heyes picked up his beer and headed towards the poker game.

The Kid sighed. “Pretty sure I couldn't play one-handed; least not without raisin' some eyebrows, anyway.” Yep, Heyes would definitely notice. Once sure his partner was settled with his attention on the game, Curry eyed his critically.  Two inches long, the splinter had jagged edges that felt like tiny barbs jabbing into his flesh. “You an' I are gonna part ways real soon – when I can figure out how.” His thoughts turned to the best plan to rid himself of the painful splinter deep under his skin. A plan that didn't involve Heyes an' anything sharp.

“Welp, I sure ain't gonna pull you out myself,” he muttered. No matter how he decided to do it, it was going to be painful. “An' I thought havin' mashed fingers was bad!” he huffed. He reached for his beer and winced as his hand came into contact with it. “Better remember to use my left hand.” As he brought the beer to his lips, he glanced over to the poker table to find Heyes watching him. He raised the glass in a gesture of good luck and took another sip before setting it down. Darting another quick glance at his partner, Kid was relieved to see that he was no longer under scrutiny.

“Maybe if I soak it awhile, it'll soften up some an' it won't hurt so much to pull it out?” Curry racked his brain trying to think of ways to make this delicate operation as painless as possible. He recalled that his ma had usually used a sewing needle to go under the skin and loosen it before it was pulled out. “Yeah, I bet that'd work,” he said aloud.

“What would work?” Heyes asked as he slid into a seat across from Curry.

Curry jumped at the words. “Would you quit sneakin' up on a fella!? Sheesh, that's twice you've done it in the past few hours!” he snapped, glaring at his cousin.

“I wasn't sneaking – on either occasion – and since when do you start keeping track of something like that?” The dark-haired man gave the Kid a thoughtful look. “What's got you all proddy?”

“I'm not keepin' track – they're jus' fresh in my mind. Folks makin' me jump do that, you know!” Curry reached for his beer and bit down on the cry of pain that almost escaped past his lips. He let his hand rest against the handle of the glass instead and glanced up to find Heyes staring at him.

“You still mad at the hammer?”

“Yep.” The Kid forced a grin to his face. “That's a grudge I'm not gonna forget soon – or easily.” Heyes picked up his beer and, as soon as he dared, Curry pulled his hand away and put it under the table, away from Heyes' watchful eyes. “Why'd you quit the game?” He reached out with his left hand and grabbed his mug.

“Wasn't worth my time; all they were betting was coins. Pot never got higher than a few dollars.” He glanced around the saloon. “Well, you wanna stay or head to the hotel? We can get an early start in the morning.”

Curry opened his mouth.

“After breakfast.” Heyes grinned.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” The Kid downed the last of his beer and got to his feet.

Heyes held out Curry's hat.

The easiest thing would have been to take it in his right hand, but the Kid knew it wasn't the wisest. He took a step sideways and grabbed it with his left hand. “Thanks.” He placed it on his head and brushed past his partner.

Curry went to put his right hand on his gun and that's when it hit him. As the pair made their way through the crowd, and out of the busy saloon, he realized the real gravity of the situation. This ain't good; with my hand like this, I'm about as useful as a water bucket shot full of holes. All I havta do is make it through tonight. I'll come clean with Heyes when we stop for rest tomorrow. I'd prefer as few as possible witnesses around when he has to take that splinter out.

~*~*~*~*

When Heyes pushed the door to their room open, Curry walked past him to throw his hat on the bed closest to the window, claiming it as his. He sat down on the far side of the bed and began to undress. Make that try to undress. He sighed quietly.  It was a near impossible task one-handed. Maybe jus' the boots an' my vest? It'll make things easier in the mornin', too. He eased the vest off his off his left shoulder, then down his right arm. So far, so good; that wasn't so bad.

Next, the boots. With the aid of his feet and left hand, he was ready to lay back on the bed and get some sleep. His shoulders slumped in defeat when he felt his gunbelt still around his waist. Heyes might accept the clothes, maybe... but not the gunbelt. It was an exercise in futility, but somehow he managed to get if off and untied the string from around his thigh. He laid it on the nightstand next to the bed. NOW, I can lay down...

Exhausted, the Kid stood up enough to pull the blankets back, eased himself down on the pillow, then pulled the blanket up to his neck, tucking his wounded hand under it. His good hand under his head, he sighed and closed his eyes. A moment later he realized that the room was way too quiet. No, Heyes was way too quiet. He hadn't heard him leave. He opened his eyes and looked in his partner's direction, a look of wide-eyed innocence in his blue eyes.

Heyes was standing beside his own bed, a thoughtful expression on his face.

“Why're you jus' standin' there? Aren't you gonna go to sleep?”

“I was, until you stopped me.”

“Huh?”

“You're going to bed like that? Dressed?

“Why not? It'll save time in the morning; we're gonna get an early start, right?”

“Not that early. You've never done that before; I was just... curious.”

“Well, don't lose any sleep over it; I'm not,” Curry yawned. “G'night, Heyes.”

Heyes remained standing, staring at his partner.  “G'night, Kid.” He doused the light. In the darkness, the sound of his boots hitting the floor and the rustling of his clothing being removed could be heard. Heyes slid under the blanket and stared at the ceiling as he fought to keep his train of thought from derailing.

~*~*~*~*

Contrary to the Kid's optimistic words about not losing any sleep, he did nothing but toss and turn fitfully, restless and uncomfortable, until dawn arrived. In addition to the pain in his hand and lack of sleep, his head hurt. Truth be told, he felt lousy from head to toe. Looking out the window, he judged it to be around six o'clock.

Unable to remain in bed any longer, he did his best to be as quiet as he could as he got his boots on, biting down several times to stifle the cry of pain as he jostled the wounded hand. Deciding to forgo the gunbelt and vest, he shoved the rest of his belongings into his saddlebags and put his hat on his head. Placing the vest over his sore hand, he slung the saddlebags over his shoulder and carried his gunbelt in his left hand. He walked quietly towards the door and grabbed the doorknob.

“You leaving, Kid?”

Curry whipped around. “Sorry, didn't mean to wake you.”

“You didn't. I couldn't fall asleep.”

“Me neither,” Curry admitted.

“I know; I heard you. Guess you had things on your mind, too.”

“Didn't mean to keep you awake. It wasn't somethin' on my mind; I was just restless. Even with the window open, I felt warm an' my head's throbbin' pretty bad.”

“Maybe you're coming down with something?” It was light enough that they could see each other's face as Heyes added quietly, “You never answered my question. Are you leaving?”

“No!” Curry denied with a vehement shake of his head. He was immediately sorry when he felt the room begin to spin around him. He leaned against the door for support. “Like I said, it's too warm. I was just goin' downstairs to see if I could find someplace to sit that was cooler. I'll be waitin' for you when you're ready to go.”

“Give me a few minutes and we'll go over to the cafe and have some breakfast.”

When his stomach protested, the Kid gulped and shook his head. “I don't think I'd better. Maybe you could ask 'em to make a couple sandwiches for later? Maybe I'll feel better by then.”

Heyes got out of bed to put his hand on Curry's forehead. The Kid protested and tried to pull away, but with his back pressed against the door, he didn't have much room to move.

“Yep, you're warm, Kid,” Heyes confirmed as he searched his partner's face. “We don't have to travel if you don't feel like it.”

Curry shrugged. “I'm okay enough to ride. We can meet downstairs. I'll go over to the livery and get the horses ready while you eat.”

Heyes took the Kid by the arm and escorted him to the bed. “We're not going anywhere; sit down.”

“But–”

“No arguments.” Heyes took Curry's gunbelt and the saddlebags, then laid them on his bed. When he tried to take the vest, the Kid jerked away and tucked his arm closer to his body.

Heyes took a step back, folded his arms across his chest and gave his partner a look. “Okay, what's going on? You've been acting strange ever since we finished work yesterday. Talk to me, Kid.”

Curry couldn't meet Heyes' eyes. He stared down at the vest that hid his hand instead.

“Kid?” Heyes crouched down in front of his cousin.

Curry averted his eyes, then slowly pulled his hand out from under the vest. He turned it palm up for his partner to see.

Heyes sucked in his breath and stood up. “No wonder you were acting strange! How–”

“When I was throwin' that scrap wood. The last board was splintered; it ripped right into my palm.” Curry looked up. “At least it took my mind off what the hammer did to my fingers.”  He tried to smile, but it didn't reach his eyes.

“That's gotta come out, Kid.”

Curry nodded but cradled the hand protectively.

Heyes sat down next to him on the bed. “Do you remember when we were kids, how you got that splinter in your hand when we were building that raft? You didn't want anyone to touch it then either, but once I got it out, you felt a lot better, didn't you?”

“That one wasn't this big! I remember that needle hurt, too!”

“You trust me, don't you, Kid? If my fingers can work magic on a safe, they can surely do a delicate operation like this without a problem, right?”

Curry gulped, then nodded and tentatively held his hand out.

“First thing we're gonna do is soak your hand to soften the wood. Then, I'll sterilize my knife.  I'll very carefully cut a small, thin line under the wood, so it won't tear your skin when I take it out.” He got water and poured it into the basin, then brought it, along with a towel to the bed. “Stick your paw in there and relax.” Heyes set about getting the other things ready, talking as he did so. “When you decided not to tell me, did it occur to you that this is your gun hand?”

“Yeah, when we were leavin' the saloon. It hit me kinda hard.”

“All the more reason to take good care of that hand. I count on you to help protect us both with it, you know.”

“Yeah, I know,” Curry answered quietly. “Do me a favor and bring me one of my bullets.”

Heyes took one from the Kid's gunbelt and handed it to him. He watched as his partner tucked it into his cheek.

“Don't wanna scare the other hotel guests,” Curry deadpanned. “I'll do my best not to yell, but it can't hurt to have back-up.”

Heyes peered into the water. “Okay, Kid; let's get this taken care of.”

Curry nodded, then put his hand on the towel that lay on the table and turned away.

“You've got to hold perfectly still, Kid; don't jerk. This knife is sharp...”

The Kid didn't respond; he was too busy trying not to think about what Heyes was about to do.

~*~*~*~*

“That's it, Kid; we're done.” Heyes noticed the sheen of perspiration on his partner's face. “You should start feeling like your old self real soon.”

“That'll be good.” Curry looked down at the bandage wrapped around his palm.

“You'll have a nice scar to remember this by.”

“Another one to add to the collection you mean.”

“Consider it more like a survivor's badge of courage.”

“I like that better.” Curry grinned. “So, does the person who performed such a delicate operation get a badge, too?”

“Of course,” Heyes nodded smugly. “After all, it was my plan that saved you."

Even as both men chuckled, each couldn't help but wonder who would be next to earn a badge...

EleanorW, Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 2021 -A delicate operation    May 2021  -A delicate operation  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

May 2021 -A delicate operation
Page 1 of 1