Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

February 2021 - All Clear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

February 2021 - All Clear  Empty
PostSubject: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 9:55 am

Hello one, hello all ...
Repeated apologies for the belated post.
If only it was for fun going out and enjoying myself in a crowd type reasons ... Laughing Laughing

Anyhow, I have - only yesterday - had a bit of good news.
So, please let your fertile fingers frolic feverishly on:

All Clear

two thumbs two thumbs

calicole and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:20 am

And first outta the gate is this month is... Penski!

All good things must come to an end. I've really enjoyed writing Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith, along with all the Russell Gulch townsfolk. Watch for all the challenges to come together as a fanfic story, probably after Virtual Season.

All Clear

Sheriff Jones walked into the office and sat behind his desk. “Mornin’, Joshua.”

Deputy Smith paced in the office. “Where is he?”

“He’ll be here any moment. Why don’t you pour three cups of coffee and sit down?” Curry tapped the last few pieces of paper on the desk to straighten them. “I sure won’t miss doin’ all this paperwork.”

Heyes handed Curry a cup of coffee, poured two more, and sat down.

Deputy Logan opened the door and entered the office. “Morning. Sorry I was a few minutes late. Did I miss something?”

“No, have a seat. Me and Joshua want to have a talk with you.”

“Okay.” Logan sat down. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No. Why are you askin’?” The Kid took a sip of coffee.

Logan looked at Smith and Jones. “Just seems like something's going on.”

“We just wanna have a talk with you about the future,” Heyes assured him. “You see, Logan…” Heyes hesitated and looked over at his partner. When Curry nodded, he continued, “Me and Thaddeus were on our way to Denver when we came through Russell Gulch seven weeks ago.”

“Seven weeks!? A lot sure did happen!” Logan exclaimed.

“It sure did,” the Kid agreed.

“Anyway, me and Thaddeus were talking, and we’ve decided to move on.”

“On account that you’re still waiting for that second chance?” Logan asked tentatively.

“Yep.” Curry nodded. “We think we should leave before someone recognizes us and it causes a scene.”

“Like the marshal or the Carter brothers.”

“Or other outlaws we may have met on the trail,” Heyes continued.

“If you’re leaving Russell Gulch, who’ll be the sheriff then?”

“Well, I’ve already talked to Mayor Grove about makin’ you the sheriff.”

“Me? The sheriff? I dunno. Shoot, some folks still call me Loco Logan. They’ll always see me as the town drunk.”

“But you’re not that man anymore.” Heyes crossed a leg over his knee. “You haven’t had a drink since you became deputy, right?”

“Right – cross my heart!” Logan made a x-mark across his chest. “What’d Mayor Grove say?”

“Well, he says the town may consider you for a sheriff position if you were to settle down.” Sheriff Jones took a sip of coffee.

Logan smiled and blushed. “Well, I am doing that next week to the purtiest gal in town.” He quickly frowned. “You aren’t leaving before the wedding, are you? You can’t!”

“Don't worry, we’re plannin’ to stay for the weddin’,” the Kid assured him. “We wouldn’t miss it for anything. Besides, I want to start trainin’ you on bein’ a sheriff.”

“One thing, Logan, and it’s important.” Heyes leaned forward to get his attention. “You can’t mention this to anyone, not even Mrs. Tucker. Me and Thaddeus want to let folks know at the proper time.”

“Oh, sure. No one will hear it from me, including Hattie.”

“Appreciate it.” Heyes stood up. “Think I’ll go get some breakfast and take a nap. Let me know if you need me.”

“I will.” Curry turned his attention to Logan as Heyes left. “First thing to learn about is the paperwork…”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sheriff Jones and Deputy Logan were making their rounds in town when they passed McGregor Mercantile.

Logan hesitated. “Sheriff, mind if we stop in here?”

“No. You need something?”

“Yeah, a pen and some paper… lots of paper to take notes on all you’re telling me.”

Curry chuckled. “Sure. I’ll wait out here while you get your supplies. I don’t wanna hear ol’ Earl complainin’ when it’s such a nice day.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Make sure you keep the guns cleaned, even if you don’t use ‘em, at least once a week. A clean gun will be more accurate.”

Logan furiously scribbled on a piece of paper.

Kid Curry looked over his shoulder. “Can you read that?”

“What?” Logan turned and appeared confused.

“Your writin’; can you read it? Looks like Joshua’s chicken scratch.”

“Of course, I can read my own writing.” Logan turned and read back what he wrote.

“Just checkin’.” Curry smiled. “Now remember to never wear your gun when goin’ near the cells…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked into the office in the late afternoon.

“The keys to the cells stay on this hook so anyone in jail can’t get them.”

Logan quickly wrote it down.

“Unless you have some prisoners and suspect their gang may bust them outta jail. Then you keep the cell keys in the safe.”

“That’s right, Joshua. Did you get that written down, Logan?”

“Cell keys in safe… Yep, I got it.” Logan sighed. “There sure is a lot more to being a sheriff than it looks.”

“Gotta keep one step ahead of the bad guys.” Heyes sat down.

Logan wrote more.

“Did you write that down, too?” Heyes asked.

“Yep! Stay one step ahead of bad guys,” the deputy repeated.”

Deputy Smith shook his head. “Oh, before I forget, Mrs. Tucker said dinner is at 6:00.”

“Logan, why don’t you take a break from writin’ and go do your rounds?”

“Sure thing!” He shook his hand and grabbed his hat. “It’ll be good to get out and walk around. My hand has writer’s cramp from taking all those notes.”

Kid Curry sat behind the desk and Heyes leaned against the edge.

“How’s he doing?”

The Kid nodded. “Good.”

“Sounds like he’s getting lessons from some of the best on how not to let prisoners escape.”

“He sure is! Would hate to be a prisoner in his jail.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Judge Barrett pounded his gavel on the saloon bar. “Next case!”

Deputy Smith stood up. “Your honor, Deputy Edward Logan and Hattie Tucker are getting married in a few days.”

“Congratulations.”

Logan stood and nodded. “Thank you.”

“And…?”

“Well, sir,” Heyes continued, “they would like to adopt Tillie and Tommy Barton.”

“What happened to their parents?”

“A tragic wagon accident coming over the mountains. They were the only survivors.”

“I see.” The judge pondered. “Are there living relatives? Were they contacted?”

“Yes, your honor. Their aunt, Mrs. Virginia Stanton of Louisville, Kentucky, is unable to care for them.” Heyes pulled out a piece of paper from his vest pocket and handed it to the judge. “Here is the telegram.”

“What about the uncle mentioned in here?”

“According to the family Bible, he passed away before they started the trip.”

“Mr. Logan and Mrs. Tucker, are you both in agreement about raising these two children as your own? You’ll love them and teach them right from wrong?”

Ed and Hattie stood up, holding hands. “We will, your honor.”

“Tillie and Tommy, come here please.”

The two children hesitantly walked up to the judge, who kneeled down to be at their level.

“Sorry to hear about your family. Do you want these two people standing over there to be your new parents? Will you love and respect them, like you did your dad and mom? Listen to and obey them?”

Tillie and Tommy nodded solemnly at each question. “Yes, sir!”

“Okay, you can go sit down again.” The judge pondered some more. “Are you definitely getting married in a few days?”

Ed and Hattie looked at each other and smiled. “Definitely!”

“Well then, I’m going to put down on the official papers that Edward and Hattie Logan are adopting Tillie and Tommy Barton and they will become Tillie and Tommy Logan. By the time the paperwork reaches the recorder, you’ll all be Logans. One big, happy family.”

Ed, Hattie, Tillie, and Tommy all hugged each other.

“Thank you, your honor!” Heyes said, with a tear in his eye. “You've made a lot of folks very happy!”

“You’re welcome.” Judge Barnett wiped a tear away, too. “This is one of my favorite parts of the job.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few days later, Edward Logan and Hattie Tucker stood in front of the reverend, along with Tillie, Tommy, Sheriff Jones, and Deputy Smith.

"I, Horatio Edward Logan, take thee, Hattie Ann Tucker, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

"I, Hattie Ann Tucker, take thee, Horatio Edward Logan, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”

Ed chastely kissed his wife on the cheek and then gathered his new family into a hug.

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry smiled at each other.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few days later, Sheriff Jones was greeting the townsfolk as he made his rounds. He poked his head into the Golden Nugget Saloon. “Howdy, Gus!”

“Hey, hi Sheriff! Heard Loco Logan got himself married and a new family.”

“He sure did. No more Loco Logan, though… It’s Deputy Logan. He definitely proved himself when given a second chance.”

“He sure has! Have a good day.”

“You, too, Gus!”

Sheriff Jones walked over to the mercantile where McGregor was sweeping the boardwalk. “Good day, Earl.”

“And a good day to you, too, Sheriff!”

The sheriff continued down the street and looked down by his office at the same time Marshal Dillon was looking up the street.

“Curry, is that you?” The marshal drew his gun and began to run.

The Kid hurried through the back streets to the Tucker Boarding House and took the stairs two at a time. He threw open the door and quickly shut it.

“Time to go, Heyes!” He threw his clothes at him, grabbed saddle bags and began filling them.

Heyes quickly began getting dressed. “What’s going on?”

“Dillon is back in town…”

“Thought he was coming in three weeks?”

“Three weeks are up! We got too relaxed here and lost track of time. He saw me.”

Heyes stomped on his boots. “What? Are you sure?”

“Of course, I’m sure!”

“Did he follow you here?”

“Think I gave him the slip.” The Kid latched his bags closed.

Knock…Knock…

Curry pulled out his gun and stood by the door. “Who is it?”

“Logan. What’s going on? I saw you rushing up the stairs.”

The Kid opened the door and pulled him in. “Marshal Dillon is in town. Time for me and Joshua to leave.”

“You sure?”

“Positive!” Curry removed the sheriff badge and handed it to Logan. “You’re the temporary sheriff now. Go to the office and see what he wants.”

“No chance you can stay for dinner and say good-bye?”

“No! You'll have to give Hattie and the kids a kiss good-bye for us.” Heyes finished throwing his belongings in the saddle bags. “Thank goodness we got stocked up for the trail the other day.”

“Ready?” Curry looked at his partner.

Heyes nodded. “Logan, you’re gonna make a great sheriff! You have a wonderful family. Be safe and don’t be heroic, you hear?”

“Sure, Joshua.”

“Logan, find Dillon, take him back to the office, and keep him busy. We have to get our horses from the livery.”

“Okay. Not gonna tell me who you are, are you?”

“Nope.”

“Whoever you are, you’re two pretty good men, even if you must be wanted by the law. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you.”

Curry nodded. “Been a pleasure meetin’ you, too. Everyone in Russell Gulch.”

Logan shook hands with his former boss and fellow deputy and hurried towards the office.

Heyes and the Kid grabbed their things and quickly went down the stairs. Curry handed his bedroll to his partner so he could carry his gun. They looked out into the street and hurried across into an alley.

Taking the paths between the buildings, they made their way to the main street with the livery on the other side and the sheriff’s office a block away on the same side of the street they were on. Staying close to the wall of the saloon, Curry poked his head out and looked around. “All clear!”

The Kid and Heyes ran across the street and into the livery. Curry turned and checked to make sure they weren’t seen by Dillon, who he now saw talking to Logan by the office door.

Bart came out of the back area. “Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith, are you goin’ somewhere? You should’ve told me so I could’ve got your horses saddled.”

“Hi Bart. There’s an emergency over by the summit again. This time me and the Sheriff are gonna check it out.” Heyes dropped their belongings and began saddling his horse.

“Oh, do you need the wagon this time?” Bart started helping with the blanket and saddle.

“No, no, not this time.” Heyes completed putting on the halter. “You can help the sheriff while I finish up here.”

Kid Curry was throwing the saddle onto the back of his horse while Bart worked on the halter. “Appreciate all your help, Bart.”

“Oh, no trouble at all.”

Heyes and Curry tied their gear on and mounted up.

“See you when you get back, Sheriff Jones and Deputy Smith!”

“Bye, Bart!” Curry reined towards the back of the barn. “We’re gonna leave out the back.”

“Sure thing.”

Curry led the way and the two former lawmen galloped out of town heading north.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Deputy, I tell you, I saw Kid Curry down by the mercantile! He jumped into the alley and I lost him.”

“Kid Curry here in Russell Gulch?” Logan looked up and down the streets. “Are you sure?”

“Yes!” Dillon glanced at Logan and fingered the badge. “Sheriff? When did you become sheriff? What happened to the other guy?”

“Marshal, that’s a long story. Wanna come in and hear it?”

“Not with Curry, and possibly Heyes, in the area. I bet they already left town.” Dillon mounted his horse. “I’ll be back.”

“Want me to come with you?”

“Do you have backup?”

“Nope.”

“Then you better stay. Do your rounds and make sure no one looking like those two notorious outlaws are still here.”

“Yes, sir!”

Dillon hurried out of town heading south, the easier escape route.

Logan went inside and sat down behind the desk. He opened a drawer for a piece of paper and saw two pieces way in the back. He pulled them out and looked at them. “Well, I’ll be… Kid Curry was in town! Probably Hannibal Heyes, too!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry leaned against their saddles sipping coffee while watching the fire.

“I’m gonna miss Russell Gulch,” the Kid said absently. “It was a nice place to spend some time in.”

“Me, too,” Heyes agreed. “We met some really nice folks there.”

“Nice how things worked out for everyone ain't it? Logan got a wife and kids; Hattie got a husband and gets to be a mom; and the kids got a ma and pa. And, instead of bein' the town drunk, Logan's gonna have the town's respect. He worked real hard and earned it. Me and you made the right choice makin' him sheriff; He’ll do good.”

“He sure will.” Heyes glanced sideways to his partner. “You know, when we get amnesty, you’d make a good sheriff, just like Lom.”

Kid Curry smiled. “Heyes, next time I’ll be the deputy and you can be the sheriff; you don’t mind doin’ all that paperwork.

EleanorW, nm131, calicole, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am

All Clear

It was late afternoon when three saddle weary, dusty men entered the small town in Colorado. They stopped in front of the town`s only saloon after some wary glances around for anyone paying too much attention to them. Other than a few suspicious looks from a handful of people, noting the tied-down guns, they went about their business. The town was often frequented by drifters, and even cowboys with a touch of menace wavering around them, weren`t unusual in this area.

Heyes and Curry were on their way to a nearby bigger town to scout out a bank for their next job. They were accompanied by a new young member of the Devil`s Hole Gang, Curry had deemed Jake worthy of a chance to prove he could become a steady member of the gang. It was usually Curry`s job to assign the amount of men they needed for such ventures. At first Heyes wasn`t too pleased with the idea of taking him along, but the time they had spent together on the trail proved him wrong and he started to like him.

Quenching their thirst with a round of beers, they silently watched the different patrons sitting at single, makeshift tables. Some saloon girls, who seemed to have the best part of their beauty behind them, idly moved through the dim room, servings drinks where required. Nevertheless, the young red-haired man openly admired one of them. Sensing his scrutiny, she approached their table and winked at her secret admirer.

"Like some relaxation?" she said and tilted her head to the direction of the stairs leading to her private room. Blushing, the young man cast an ashamed glance to his companions.

Heyes and Curry exchanged an amused glance with each other before Curry commented, "You go ahead, Jake. Guess we`re staying overnight," he encouraged Jake with a knowing smile.

"I´ll lead the way, darling," cooed the girl and snatching a bottle of whiskey from the bar, together with two shot glasses the bartender already had prepared, they went upstairs.

The next day the outlaws continued their ride to their original destination, urging their horses into an easy-going lope. They didn`t notice the man standing on the boardwalk wearing a tin star on his vest, watching them with an evil grin.

His deputy had left town due to an urgent family business. All the better, he didn`t intend to share this easy money anyway. He mounted his waiting horse and took off into the same direction, but took a short cut which would get him a good way ahead of them.

The three men continued their journey undisturbed, Curry at the end carefully watching their surroundings. After a bend, Heyes suddenly pulled his horse to a stop, nearly forcing the following horse to bump into his bay. Ahead of them, at a point where the road narrowed, a boy sat on the ground, not older than 15 years. The boy was holding his ankle, his small chestnut brown horse grazing at some grass patches beside the trail, the reigns hanging loosely on the ground.

"Whoa, what the heck is that supposed to mean?" Kid Curry rode up to Heyes.

"Seems someone fell of his horse", Heyes stated. After taking a short look at the scene, Heyes decided to get off, and approached the boy.

He was met with frightened dark blue eyes in a handsome face. Taking an unsure glance at the rest of the riders, the boy said, " Sorry, mister, my stupid horse couldn`t watch out for its own legs. He stumbled, went half way down and I fell over his neck. Seems I kinda broke my ankle."

Curry`s right hand, which had hovered over his gun, relaxed.

Kneeling beside the boy Heyes called back, "Jake, get his horse! We`ll help you up."

Before Jake could comply, a voice behind them snarked, "Now, what have we got here?"

Emerging from behind a big boulder, a man on a horse appeared, pointing a rifle at them. "Raise your hands, nice and easy, no sudden movements. Ted, remove their guns and throw them over here."

The young boy, all of a sudden able to stand up and walk, did as he was told.

The three outlaws had no choice. After their guns were taken away, the boy tied Curry`s and Jake`s hands behind their backs with some leather throngs he had retrieved from the man`s saddlebags. Walking towards Heyes, he intended to do the same.

"There`s no use in robbing us. We only have a few dollars in our pockets. You see, my young brother here is supposed to meet his fiancee ..."

He was rudely interrupted by the man. "Don`t waste your breath, I know who you are! Your `brother` here has a big mouth after a few shots."

Heyes turned angry, flashing eyes towards Jake`s startled, embarrassed face, and a soft groan escaped Kid Curry`s lips.

Grinning, the man revealed his hidden star under his jacket and said firmly, " Hannibal Heyes, Kid Curry, you`re under arrest. That`s some fine $3000 reward on each of your heads. And I`m sure, I will find some Wanted Poster for this no-good Romeo, too."

A silent communication took place between Heyes and his partner, until Kid slightly shrugged his shoulder with an apologetic lift of his brows.

With the rifle steadily pointing at them, Heyes was also tied up and as the boy helped him on his horse, he mumbled under his breath, "I`m sorry."

After retrieving his own horse, the four men and the boy continued to ride back to town, with Ted leading and the sheriff bringing up the rear.

The group rode at a slow pace and sunset found them still some distance from town. The sheriff let them stop in a small pine grove. With Ted helping the sheriff, the two of them set camp while their captives stayed on their horses. Then they were dragged from their mounts and each of them tied to young trees, with their feet also secured with ropes.

The sheriff was tired from the long ride and hadn`t slept a lot the night before, planning his undertaking. Though the boy had dark shadows under his eyes, too, he ordered him to take the first watch.

Walking over to the outlaws, the sheriff looked from one to the other. He scrutinized Jake intently.

Seeing the sheriff`s expression, a sudden short memory long ago flashed up in Heyes but as quickly as it appeared, the quicker he pushed it to the back of his mind. Anger started to rise within his stomach. It showed itself only briefly on his face, before he managed to restore his solid poker face.

"You`re quite a young scoundrel, didn`t your parents teach you some honest work?"

Before Jake could answer, Kid spoke up, "Maybe he just prefers the company of scoundrels over lawmen?"

Within two steps, Clitterhouse moved towards Curry and kicked him hard into the ribs. Despite the restraining rope, Kid doubled over.

Narrowing his eyes, the sheriff approached Heyes again and said, "Don`t try anything, or it will be the last you ever tried in your lives. All clear?"

Heyes knew he had to pull himself together, he couldn`t let on his worry about Kid. With all his suppressed anger, he simply nodded.

Shortly after sitting at the fire, the steady crackling of the burning wood made the Sheriff`s eyes heavy and he started snoring, the rifle lying near within his reach.

"What are we going to do?" Jake timidly asked the Kid.

"You figured out a plan already, Heyes?" whispered Curry back to their leader.

"Still working on it..."

"Work faster, I can`t feel my hands anymore," urged Curry in a low voice.

"If someone would have been more on the alert, we would all sitting in a nice saloon now," came a hissed reply.

But before Curry had a fitting retort available, Heyes looked over to the young boy sitting on a boulder in the dancing shadows of the fire and called in his soft, velvet, most friendly voice eager not to disturb the sheriff, "Hey, Ted, would you mind coming over here? I could use some water."

Hesitantly, Ted rose, grabbed a canteen and squatted beside Heyes. After drinking a few gulps, Heyes amiably said, " You`re acting like a fine deputy. Rather young, ain`t you?"

"No, sir, I ain`t a deputy at all. I`m a stable hand at the local livery."

"Then how come you work for this honorable `guardian of the law`? You seem to be a smart boy."

"Guardian of the law? Oh, you mean Mr. Clitterhouse?!"

"Clitterhouse? What kind of a dumb name is that!" said Heyes with a one dimpled grin.

"Don`t ever say that to him, he`s very sensitive to being mocked. Mister, are you a real outlaw?" Big dark blue eyes searched his face. "He promised me to throw me into jail like an outlaw, if I wouldn`t help him."

"What would make him do that?" murmured Heyes under his breath, after reassuring himself Clitterhouse was still asleep.

Ted looked bashfully to the ground. "He caught me stealing something out of the saddle bags of a customer at the livery. Said he would tell its owner and the owner of the livery. But I would lose my job!"

"That`s a fine sheriff...I guess you are lucky he didn`t. A jail isn`t a good place for a boy like you."

Ted lowered his eyes and shifted uncomfortably.

Intuitively Heyes pressed on. "Anything else you want to say?" The boy turned his head. Not fast enough since the outlaw leader could see him blushing.

"No." Shadows cast from the fire reflected on Ted`s face. Nevertheless, Heyes could see his haunted eyes. Another uncomfortable memory tried to take over his mind, pictures and noises...He suppressed them once again.

"Mister, you are mighty nice for an outlaw. I`ve heard some rumours ....It`s the Devil`s Hole Gang you`re riding with, right? They are supposed to be quite cunning and slippery."

A sly smile crept on Heyes` face and he proudly answered, "Yeah, that`s me and my partner`s gang, a bunch of fine trustworthy men...Far better than this false lawman. In fact, Ted, I don`t figure him to be as clever as you are. What do you think, how did he recognize us?"

"Oh, that wasn`t too hard. He told me Lilly came to him last night. The saloon girls are supposed to inform him of any news they hear. He harasses them to pay protection money regularly. Lilly sure does know how to make a man to blab. In return, he promised to protect the girls from any harm. There are some rough patrons in this area."

Kid Curry, who had overheard their conversation, hissed angrily.

Ted returned to his boulder and though he struggled to stay awake, soon all the excitement took its toll.

"How far did you get?" Heyes whispered to Curry and Jake. "With what?" came the confused answer from Jake.

"Jake," replied Kid sitting next to him, "if you wanna be an outlaw, you still have to learn a lot. Work on your bonds, try to move your hands enough to loosen them."

A sudden movement and grunt from Clitterhouse made them all freeze in their efforts. After shifting in his sleep, the sheriff came to lie half on his rifle.

Finally, Kid noticed his throngs loosened up far enough to let his hands slip out of them. Quickly, he untied his feet and silently moved on to free the other two.

Heyes motioned them into the direction of their horses. Kid Curry shook his head. "I`m not going without my gun," he mouthed.

"Better make a run for it in time, you don`t know where he put them."

"If someone would pay more attention to our weapons, this said someone would know he put them in his saddlebags."

Annoyed brown eyes met stubborn ice-blue ones, a silent communication took place with spoken words only to be heard in their heads. With an exasperated shrug of his shoulders, Heyes nodded in acknowledgement.

He mumbled to Jake to fetch their horses. The young outlaw turned and hastily hurried towards the tree line, where their mounts were tied, only to stumble over an empty tin cup, which with a loud `clang` bounced towards another boulder. One of the horses spooked and whinnied loudly.

Clitterhouse woke up with a start. His arm felt the rifle and he grabbed it. Kid Curry was only half on the way to the place opposite of the fire, where their saddlebags were. From his position, the sheriff didn`t have a clear view on him. But what he saw in the turmoil was Jake running towards the horses.

In a split second his instincts took over, he aimed and before either Heyes or Kid could reach him, he pulled the trigger and fired. Jake got hit in the back, toppled forwards, and laid motionless.

"NO!" yelled an infuriated Heyes.

As Clitterhouse turned in Heyes`direction, Kid started forward in an attempt to protect his partner. Clitterhouse got his feet entangled with his bedroll and he lost his balance. To prevent himself from falling, he dropped the rifle.

Frantically, Heyes lunged at him. Straddling him, he pinned him to the ground. Clitterhouse tried to reach the rifle with his outstretched arm but Kid reached them and snatched it from the ground.

Knowing that Heyes could handle Clitterhouse, Kid turned quickly to check on Jake but the young outlaw was beyond help.

"Why did you shoot him in the back, you bastard? He didn`t even had a gun. He was still half a kid!" Heyes was outraged and gave the sheriff a blow to the jaw.

Slightly shaking his head after the blow, Clitterhouse sneered, "Oh, did you lose your sunnyboy? I guess I saved the world from one more critter like the rest of you."

Clitterhouse was heavier, larger and more muscular than the younger Heyes. The sheriff tried with all his experience to get his leg pulled up underneath Heyes.

Hearing Clitterhouse`s words, more memories conjured up in the outlaw`s mind, of more than one mean man he had met in his past, other fights he had to win to survive or to help his younger cousin. Everything else in his mind went blank and one blow after the other landed in the sheriff`s face.

"He`s going to kill him!" Ted shouted to Kid Curry, who stood watching attentively, rifle in hand.

"Nah, give him two or three minutes more. He deserves it." Kid Curry assured him nonchalantly.

After what seemed like an eternity to Ted, Curry grasped Heyes` arm, pulled him from the bleeding man and said firmly, "Come on, that`s enough. Let him be."

After a short while, Heyes took a deep breath and struggled to regain control. Clitterhouse rolled on the ground, groaning.

Together they yanked Clitterhouse to his feet, dragged him to a tree and secured him the same way he had done to them before.

After they took care of Jake`s body, Heyes approached the sheriff again until they stood almost nose at nose.

"Now you listen to me... I know you and your kind `honorable law-abiding`citizens. I know more than one outlaw a lot more honorable than you will ever be in your life. We`ve never killed anyone in our lives like you did, and we won`t start now. But listen carefully, if I ever find out you are blackmailing people again, who need your help, then I`ll find a way to let it be publicly known about your doings. And I`m sure Ted will be a willing witness. All clear?"

Heyes mimicked Clitterhouse`s words. All the sheriff could do was nod.

Ted stood next to Kid Curry, who could see the young boy trembling.

"Do you have family back in town we can take you to?" he asked Ted.

"No, I`m an orphan." admitted the boy. Joining them, Kid Curry turned to Heyes.

"Look Heyes, what would you say if we take Ted with us back to the Hole? We could use an experienced stable boy with lots of courage to take care of our horses. At least until he decides what to do next."

With a broad grin, Heyes nodded. "Take the rifle with you, Ted. I might know someone who could give you some pointers on becoming a good shot, that is, if said person has a good day. Some days he can barely hit the side of a barn....."

Kid gave him THE look.

"What are we going to do with the sheriff?" Ted couldn`t help asking.

"We can send a telegram from the next town to let somebody know where he is," Heyes assured him while all three mounted their horses and rode into the starting dawn.

EleanorW, Penski, nm131, calicole and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 11:22 am

“Fire in the hole!” bellowed Kyle Murtry.  Scrambling to his feet, he plugged each ear with a finger and took off running towards the opening of the deep cave as the dynamite’s fuse sizzled and sparked, beginning its slow march to oblivion.

Several scruffy outlaws stood outside of the darkened cavity backlit by bright sunlight that didn’t quite reach inside.  They hooted, hollered, and waved at the small man to hurry it up.  Lobo turned to shove crumpled dollars into Hank’s hand and hastily laid a bet. But the merriment was cut off the moment Kyle’s ankle savagely twisted on a buried rock and he fell to the ground in a puff of dusty soil.  His eyes nearly popped out of his head in horror as pain, real and imagined, carved his panicked face.

Before he could even yell for help, bodies were shoved aside, and Kid Curry was barreling towards him.  Without completely stopping, the Kid grabbed the back of Kyle’s shirt and bodily lifted him off the ground propelling the small man as he kept one arm clamped around Murtry’s waist, his legs churning up dirt as they ran toward the front of the cave.

The yelling resumed but with a different note that caught Hannibal Heyes’ attention as he sat under a leafy cottonwood tree.  He looked up from the map he was drawing in time to see his gang frantically running towards him.  As he watched, a swelling roar ripped out of the mouth of the cave expelling Kyle and the Kid through the air and drilling them into the soft sand. A shower of fine grit fell over everyone and everything.  Curry sat up, swayed alarmingly, spat out sand, and wiped his sleeve across his mouth.  Kyle rolled over onto his back, staring up at the sky, his chest heaving.  The rest of the gang peeked out from behind a large boulder where they had sought cover.  

Nobody said a thing.  

Heyes got up and put his map and pencil down onto the fallen log he’d been sitting on.  He picked up his black hat, put it on, adjusted the brim just so and casually strolled over to the two fallen men.  Two pairs of blue eyes rimmed with dirt peered up at him.  He studied them for a moment.

“All clear?”  he asked.

Mute nods affirmed his query.  With a rueful shake of his head, Heyes left them where they sat.  He entered the cave.  A huge jumble of rock filled most of the space.  He walked around it from right to left, judging it carefully, then smiled and turned.  His partner was standing at the entrance, one hand braced against stone.  “Satisfied?” asked Curry.

“Very.  Even if someone knew the loot was buried here, they’d think twice before moving all that to get it.  Now let’s split up and get out of here before that posse catches up with us.” Heyes reached the Kid and patted his arm.  Curry turned.

“So that makes me wonder how the heck are we going to get it?”

A delighted smile split Heyes’ face.  “We’ve got Kyle.”

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

EleanorW, Penski, nm131, calicole, Dan Ker and Gemhenry like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 am

Are We All Clear?

Two dusty and tired newly ex-outlaws sat on two equally dirty and tired horses and stared in consternation at a large, brightly-painted welcome to our town signboard on the outskirts of the small town of Powell, Wyoming.

“Mighty nice sign for a small ranching town, colorful, fancy writing and all, “observed the younger of the two men.

“Mighty nice of the town to put important information on their sign, too. The Honorable Mayor Tom B. Brown and Sheriff Kenneth G. Montgomery, “Hannibal Heyes read aloud, a slender finger tapped his pursed lips as brown eyes narrowed. “Kenneth G. Montgomery…not Ken Montgomery, the guy who was a deputy in Sheridan. You think it could be him?”

Kid Curry adjusted his hat brim to better shade his eyes from the strong midafternoon sun. Blue eyes scanned the country side as if the sheriff could suddenly materialize from behind every scrubby bush dotting the flat landscape of Big Horn Basin.

“Yep, I think it could be him.”

“Kid, you can’t go in there. Montgomery knows you by sight.”

“No Heyes, we can’t go in there. He may be able to identify you, too”

“Colonel Harper is paying us $200 to deliver the documents you have stashed in your saddle bags. We need to be paid and we don’t get paid if we don’t deliver them to the land agent, whose got our money. One of us has to go in there so I guess that’ll be me. I blend in better anyway. ‘Sides I don’t think he ever got a good look at me, It’s you who got him all riled up after we robbed the Sheridan First Trust Bank.” Heyes smirked at the remembrance of Kid Curry quickly and none too gently tying up and gagging the hapless deputy, leaving him in manager’s office after the man had been alerted by a precarious placed ledger falling to the floor that Kyle had inadvertently knocked over.  The deputy squeaked his ineffectual warning in outrage mixed with naked fear upon discovering the fleeing thieves and couldn’t do a darn thing about it when faced with Kid Curry’s colt, except become silently incensed by his humiliation.

Heyes dismounted and started to pace in the dirt in front of the welcome sign announcing the unfortunate name. He tilted his hat back while he thought. Kid Curry remained in his saddle, surveying the surroundings, waiting for Heyes to come up with a plan.

“If we’re going to go straight while we’re still wanted, we’re gonna have to take a few risks. We can’t stay out of every town that someone might know us, with all the banks and trains we robbed there’s too many of them. We’re gonna have to earn money the legal way. Colonel Harper is paying good money and that means going into Powell.”

Curry interrupted, “I’m not plannin’ to stay out of every town that someone might know us only the towns that we know there’s someone who does know us.”

“Not us, you, “Heyes corrected.

“Us”

“You”

“Us”

“You”

“Us”

“You. Quit it! How old are you Kid, you’re sounding like a kid”

“Us, Heyes. We can’t take a chance.” Kid was adamant. His back stiffened, his jaw tightened and he sent an annoyed glare down at his overly optimistic partner.

Heyes took no notice of his partner’s opinion, after all, Heyes was the expert on playing the odds. “I’ve got a plan on how to get the documents to the land agent.  You see, I go into town, nonchalant-like and stay away from where sheriffs normally hang out, you know the jail, the saloon, and the post and stage depot while I scope out where in town the land office is. It can’t be too hard to locate, Powell ain’t that big. It’s getting later in the afternoon, I can slip into the land office before it closes, get paid by the agent, and get out of town fast. We’ll have to wait until we can get to the next town for a nice meal, baths, beers, and soft beds.”

The ex-leader of the Devil’s Hole Gang stopped pacing, pasted a placating smile on his face and looked up towards his mulish cohort in past recent crime. “You stay outside of town, close by, so you can keep an eye on the activity just in case I do get recognized. You may need come swooping in to save the day. You’re good at that.”

“No need to get sarcastic, Heyes. I’m watchin’ your back, as always.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know and I’ll admit you do a good job of having my back.” Heyes shone a genuine smile up at the Kid. “So, are we all clear on the plan?” he asked while studying what he could see of the layout of Powell from the small rise where the welcome sign was located.

Kid made a show of looking to the left, looking to the right, and then behind him. “Whose we? The gang ain’t here. It’s just you and me, and it’s a pretty flimsy plan if you ask me.”

“Who’s asking, I want to make sure you know what you’re supposed to do while I, and just me, go into town, delivering.” The older partner strode over to Curry’s saddle bag and proceeded to remove the packet from Colonel Harper, tucking it into the inside pocket of his brown corduroy jacket.

“You asked. You said are we all clear. I’m clear but I don’t like it.”

“You don’t have to like it; you only have to follow it,” Heyes tossed over his shoulder as he effortlessly mounted his chestnut and gathered up the reins in his left hand. He kicked the horse into motion and trotted off down the road leading to the center of town.

Curry sat muttering to himself for a moment or two while he watched the retreating form of his partner. A small nod of the blond head signified that his decision was made and soon he guided his dark bay to leave the road in a direction that would take him to the outskirts of town along the side that stood in the lengthening shadows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hannibal Heyes exited the land office with a smile on his face and two hundred dollars in his pocket. He was satisfied on how easy it was that one of their first few jobs as reforming outlaws went so well. Now, if only Lom could send more of the same their way, maybe going straight while wanted wouldn’t be a hard as they originally thought. He congratulated himself for managing to avoid the sheriff, having only glimpsed the man once from a distance, especially since the jail wasn’t that far from the land office. It was the same Ken Montgomery, the former deputy of Sheridan, that was now Sheriff of Powell. The former gang leader discretely checked out the people coming and going in both directions before stepping further onto the boardwalk for the short walk to where he had hitched his horse in wait.

The brunet was scanning the opposite side of the street when he was almost knocked off his feet by a man exiting the leather goods shop with head turned slightly back into the store, finishing a conversation. Both men rocked back onto their heels and hands shot out to instinctually steady each other.

“Sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“No problem, I wasn’t paying attention either.”

Brown eyes fixated on the large sheriff’s badge on the chest before him at the same time a different darker, brown pair of eyes focused intently on the face inches from his own. Recognition flashed across both faces.

Sheriff Ken Montgomery’s left hand tightened immediately onto Heyes’ right bicep as his right sought his holster, drawing his side arm
“Hannibal Heyes’ you are under arrest,” proclaimed the lawmen, pointing his revolver directly at his prisoner’s upper abdomen.
Heyes couldn’t believe the sudden turn of circumstances. His mind worked furiously. An expression of confusion settled on his features and he dramatically looked around as if seeking something.

“Hannibal Heyes? Where? You don’t mean me, do you? My name is Joshua Smith, you can ask in the Land Office, I just finished a transaction for Colonel Harper.” Heyes was the picture of innocence.

The dark brown eyes of the sheriff showed a brief flicker of uncertainty, which Heyes’ sharp eyes noticed. The sheriff’s gun hand drooped for a moment before coming back up and steadying the revolver. He prodded the ex-outlaw in the gut after relieving him of his Schoenfeld.

“Get moving, The jail’s down a way on this side of the street. You can see it from here. I want to get you locked up first Heyes, then we can discuss things.” Montgomery’s back suddenly stiffened visibly and he shot surreptitious glances around.” Where’s your partner, The Kid?”

“What partner? Oh, you mean Colonel Harper? Colonel Harper isn’t my partner just a friend of a mutual acquaintance, who hired me to deliver some important signed documents to the Powell Land Office. I already told you that, I’m not who you think I am, and I’m certainly not some kid or a famous outlaw. My name is Joshua Smith, recently from Porterville. You can ask Colonel Harper or my good friend Sheriff Lom Trevors.” Heyes kept talking as he slowly walked in the direction of the small brick building with bars on the windows.

An errant ray of late afternoon sunshine glinted briefly off something shiny hidden in the shadowed alley beside the land office. Soft footfalls receded to the back alley running parallel to the main street. Nobody noticed.

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

The sheriff pushed his dark-haired prisoner toward an open cell.

“….now wait a minute Sheriff. You’re making a mistake, a big one. What makes you so sure I’m that infamous outlaw Hannibal Heyes. Would Hannibal Heyes be walking out of the land office, having just completed an important transaction for a wealthy, upstanding member of society? What’s Heyes look like anyway.”

Montgomery took a deep calming breath and interrupted the constant stream of words from the man before him. He pointed to a prominent wanted poster hanging on the wall and read the description aloud. “See, you fit the description and…”

“Lots of people fit that description, why you could fit that description, Sheriff,” Joshua Smith countered.

“Heyes, I got a glimpse of you over in Sheridan when you robbed the town’s bank. You fit the description on the wanted poster. And even if I didn’t get a good look at you, I’d know your voice anywhere. You sound like the outlaw I remember. I’ll check out your story, in case I’m mistaken but I’m betting I’m right. Where’s your partner, if you want him taken alive, it would be best to tell me before the posse finds him that I’m gonna have combing the countryside looking for him.”

The sheriff shoved Heyes into the cell, and locked the door, pocketing the keys. He stood studying the man on the other side of the bars. A brief glance at the wanted poster for reassurance revealed the tiny doubt of his prisoner’s identity.

“I’m telling you sheriff; I’m alone in town, no partner.”

“Now, once again, where is he? Where is Kid Curry?”

“Right behind you.”

Montgomery spun around at the soft menacing drawl to come face to face with an annoyed looking Kid Curry pointing a Colt .45 right at the shiny sheriff’s star pinned on his chest.

“Don’t make a sound deputy, take the keys out of your pocket and let my partner out of the cell now, nice a slow. Don’t make my finger twitch.”

Heyes let the grin he’d been holding in surface and a dimple appeared at the Kid’s perfect timing. He relieved Montgomery of the keys, and pulled out a set of handcuffs from the sheriff’s jacket’s deep pockets as a bonus. He handed the cuffs to Curry, plucked the Schoenfeld from Montgomery’s belt and covered the sheriff.

“Go ahead Kid, make the man comfortable since you did it so well last time we saw him.”

“It’s Sheriff, Curry. I knew it! I knew you were Hannibal Heyes; I knew your voice. Now, I’ll never mistake you. I know what you look like now. You two won’t get away with this.”

Heyes put his hands on his hips and looked the sheriff in the eye. “Just for the record, Sheriff, we didn’t rob anything in town, we weren’t planning to rob anything, and we would have left you and the town in peace if you didn’t come stumbling out of that store.”

“Hah, I don’t believe that for one minute. And you are committing crimes right now, resisting arrest, jail breaking, as…mmph.”

Kid was moving quickly, pushing Montgomery down on the cot against the bars of the adjoining cell.  He cuffed one hand and then rapidly threaded the handcuffs around the bars and cuffed the other hand. He pulled a bandana out of his pocket and efficiently gagged the protesting sheriff, cutting off his ranting abruptly. He locked the cell and tossed the keys to Heyes.

Heyes located the small safe in a corner and smiled an even bigger smile of pleasure as he hurried over to it. Kid moved to the front door, locked it and stood look out while Heyes worked at the safe. The safe opened in no time.

“Tsk, tsk, you have an old model, no challenge at all, at least for any self-respecting safe cracker. I don’t know how safe these keys will be in there but I feel better knowing they’re there when we leave,” Heyes remarked.

The two partners did a quick look around and moved to the short hall leading to the back door.

Curry called out, “Bye, Deputy Montgomery, someone’s bound to come lookin’ for you sooner or later. And you might want to think about gettin’ a better lock for the back door, even I could pick it easily.”

Sheriff Montgomery could hear bickering fading into the distance before silence and darkness filled the small-town jail.

““You know you can’t keep busting out of jail, by waiving your gun in Sheriffs’ faces. We’re gonna hafta have a little more finesse. Not that I’m not grateful Kid, but the plan was for you to stay out of town. What’re doing here. You said you were all clear on the plan. He was starting to waver. I coulda had him believing me, If I just had a little more time.”

“I said I was clear on the plan not that I agreed with it, Heyes”

~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~

A very dusty and tired Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry sat on equally tired and dirty horses outside a small town just over the border in Montana. The town’s welcome sign was weathered, the letters barely able to be read. Information was minimal, only the town’s name and number of occupants.

Curry sighed, “I hope the hotel and café is better kept up than the town’s sign.” He looked up at the sky and then over the countryside behind them and added, “How do you think Deputy Montgomery made out in Powell?”

Heyes, who was appraising what he could see of the town, absently answered, “Sheriff, Kid, not deputy. I think he’s mad as hell but he should be alright. After all, if no else came that night to let him loose, someone sure must have after that telegram we sent two towns ago.”

The older of the pair turned to look the younger in the eyes. “Here’s the plan for now on, we haven’t been here before, right, so we go into town like ordinary folks, only we find out who the mayor is, who the local law is and reconnoiter the place as if we were planning a job. We don’t call attention to ourselves. We gotta know the basic layout of the town and the best routes out from the livery, saloon, and the hotel. We all clear on that? You have any better ideas? “

“Yes, Heyes, I’m all clear on that. That’s a plan I can agree with.”

EleanorW, Penski, calicole, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2021 - All Clear    February 2021 - All Clear  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

February 2021 - All Clear
Page 1 of 1