Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth" Empty
PostSubject: March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"   March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth" Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 10:38 am

Hello one and all
Huzzah - bit of sunshine this side of the pond over the weekend sunny   Yeah!!!

Now, you do all realise although I keep 'THE LIST' -  the odd thing has to repeat after all this time.
You've had  'Gift'  before.  You've had  'Horse' before

But, you have never had (crosses fingers, rechecks list)

"Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"

thrown thrown thrown

Consider those wise words from Grandpa Curry and - type
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"   March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth" Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am

March had come in like the proverbial lion, with heavy rains and a cold wind, both of which had left Heyes very glad that they hadn't been stuck out on the trail. However with April just around the corner, the weather had finally turned milder. So he and his partner were sat reclined on the chairs outside the saloon, smoking cheap cigars and appreciating the fresh warm air after too long sheltering indoors. Heyes was very relaxed, drifting with little in his head, when the Kid's voice broke into the sleepy silence. “I really hate this town, Heyes.”

“Kid, why do you say that?” Heyes startled out of his half doze, looked over at his partner in some surprise through a slight haze of smoke. “It's real pretty and the folk seem mostly friendly.”

Heyes looked away from his partner at a pretty young woman, who with a cheerful. “Evening, Mr Heyes,” smiled at him as she passed.

Heyes smiled back before watching her walk away as he said. “Some of them are real friendly in fact. I was thinking it might be worth us staying here, 'til we got a better idea of what we want to do.”

Curry snorted following Heyes gaze, before laughing harshly. “Yeah, they're real friendly to the great Hannibal Heyes. That saloon owner is rubbin' his hands with glee over all that extra money comin' in cos people are so eager to play against his new dealer.”

Heyes was a little stung at the tone in his partner's voice and said half- angrily. “It pays well, better than your ranch jobs anyways.” He regretted his words almost instantly at the pained expression that crossed the Kid's face.

“I know Heyes and I ain't really mad at you. I just really hate this town! No-one looks at me direct. And those ranches are the only place that'll hire me. 'Cos they ain't too fussed who I am, as long as I work hard and I'm cheap. Most folk here in town, never talk to me 'cept when they got no choice. If anyone tries they get glared at, 'specially the women. I feel like one of them lepers in the bible. Don't know what they figure I'm gonna do to them. They never give me a chance to ask.” He stopped talking then and took a long puff on his cigar. He wouldn't look at Heyes and his whole manner suggested he wished he'd not said anything and would certainly regret saying anything more.

Heyes taken aback at both the unusually long speech and the unaccustomed dark bitterness of his friend's tone, became aware of an uncomfortable trickling chill down his back. He was also hit with a sense of disappointment in himself that he hadn't noticed any of what the Kid had been coping with. Because now as he played the last few weeks back with new eyes, everything clicked into place like the tumblers on a Brooker.

The Kid's strange reluctance to go for a drink, except when the saloon was quiet. His unusual eagerness to accept work patently hard on the back. The odd slightly charged atmosphere when he and the Kid walked in anywhere together. He said with a lightness that he knew likely sounded as false to the Kid as it felt to him.“It's just people getting used to you Kid. Just give 'em some time. They'll soon figure out you ain't that bad once they get to know you.” His attempt at humor fell heavily between them. After a few awkward moments Curry gave an unconvinced grunt. Heyes patted him gently on the shoulder without looking at him, not liking the tight muscles he felt under his hand and said with genuine sympathy. “It'll get better, Kid. Just need to hang on in there.”

He'd not really thought about this side of things when they were so intent on the holy grail of amnesty. It suddenly felt like an unforgivable oversight and had ignored one of their Grandpa Curry's favourite adages of always looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Heyes risked a glance over at him then, eager to see if he'd made any impact, but the Kid was still studying his lap. The trickle down Heyes' back turned into a torrent as he realised why Curry had finally told him. “You're leaving aren't you?”

“I was thinkin' I'd be on tomorrow's stage to Denver. Might be easier for me in a bigger town.”

Heyes sat up straight, suddenly alert. “I'll come with you. Ain't that tied to this town.” He had a sudden fear that if he let his partner leave without him, he might not see him again. It was probably ridiculous, but Kid in this strange mood worried him.

Curry met his eyes then, looking uncomfortable, sounding weary but determined. “Look, Heyes. Ain't no need for you to move on while you're settled. I'll keep in touch. So if you get tired of it here, you can come join me, wherever I end up.” He trailed off, before looking away to stare off into the street.

Heyes followed his gaze and watched the street fill with people hurrying home in amongst men lighting the gas lamps as the sun set. When Curry's slightly wistful tone broke the silence, his throat tightened. “All them years of chasin' amnesty. I actually believed it'd be a way to live normal. But I guess fast draws don't get that right. Leastwise not in this town.” With that he stubbed out the remainder of his cigar, stood and started to walk back towards the rooms they'd rented on their arrival in town.

Heyes watched his partner walk away and flinched when a man coming the other way on the veranda deliberately gave him a wide berth. Seeing his partner cross the street with his back tight, his shoulders hunched and head down, the idea of staying suddenly felt unbearable to him too. He stamped out his cigar with some force and quickly walked to catch up to his partner before he reached the other side of the street.

As he came up beside him, he said firmly. “I'm coming with you, Kid. No tellin' what kind of trouble you might get into otherwise.”

“Heyes, there's no need.” Heyes grinned at that, the lack of conviction in his partner's tone easily confirmed what he'd suspected. Curry whatever he'd actually said, had at least half-hoped he'd not be leaving alone.

“Ain't no point in arguing with me.” Curry subsided then with a smile of his own, which didn't even fade as Heyes added. “I sure hope you looked for asterisks when you checked that timetable.”

Heyes slung his arm round Curry's shoulder, noting the much less tight muscles as his partner said in a gratifyingly normal tone “Of course I did. What do you take me for, Heyes? An amateur or somethin'?”

Once at the door to their accommodation, Heyes with a final glance back onto the street and feeling no regret, mentally waved goodbye to the unforgiving town. He smiled, before following his partner, who had already started up the stairs to their rooms. He was certain that a bright future waited for them somewhere, they just needed to find it together.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Nebraska Wildfire likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"   March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry rode side by side on a road surrounded by foothills, covered with wildflowers. The sun shone down on them and there was a gentle breeze keeping the temperature pleasant.

“What a beautiful day!” exclaimed Heyes as he took a deep breath. “I love springtime.”

Kid Curry didn’t comment but turned around looking behind them.

Heyes turned to see what his partner was looking at. “What?”

Curry shook his head and faced forward. “Just feel like we’re bein’ watched.”

“Well, you sure know how to ruin a perfect day! Have you seen anyone?”

“No.”

“So, you don’t know for sure if someone’s out there?”

“No. Just a feelin’.” The Kid's hand hovered over his gun as he scanned the horizon.

Several gunshots rang out near their horses’ feet and they struggled to gain control of their mounts. To their left, behind a rock cropping, a gun barrel glistened in the sun.

“I got my sight on you, Curry! Both of you put your hands up high in the air!”

Heyes and the Kid sighed and did as they were told.

“Okay, Heyes, slowly lower your left hand, remove your gun, and toss it towards me. Nothin’ funny or the Kid gets it.”

Heyes slowly lowered his left arm, removed his gun, and tossed it.

“Good. Your turn, Curry.”

The Kid lowered his left arm, unholstered his gun, and sighed as he tossed it.

“I bet you hated doin’ that, didn’t you, Kid?” the man guffawed. “Sure is a shame. Messed up the balance and now it needs cleanin’.” A big burly man with an unkempt beard covering his face came out from behind the rock.

“Griff, I thought I recognized your voice,” Heyes said in disdain. “Outlaw turned bounty hunter…” He shook his head.

“You know him?” Curry asked.

“Yep, from the Plummer gang.”

The man smiled as he pulled one of two leather thongs from around his neck. “Nice seein’ you again, Heyes. You two are gonna make me rich so I can retire.” The man advanced towards the chestnut sorrel. “Hands behind your back, Heyes. And don’t try anything, Curry, or your partner’s dead.”

Heyes put his hands behind, as ordered, and Griff began tying him up.

A cougar growled near the rocks. Griff quickly turned his gun towards that direction just in time to see his horse rearing up in panic before it ran away.

As fast as a quick draw, the Kid grabbed Heyes’ reins and spurred his horse forward to knock Griff down to the ground.

“Hang on!” he yelled to his partner and the two outlaws galloped away.

Griff stood, fired a few times, and then threw his hat down to the ground in disgust.

The Kid led the horses a safe distance behind a grove of trees and stopped.

Heyes leaned forward and to the side so the Kid could untie his hands. “That was close!” he exclaimed, winded.

“Yep! Let’s get some distance between him and us.” Curry took the lead and led them through the trees and a higher elevation.

Miles away, they dismounted by a stream, allowing their horses to drink and filling their canteens.

“Think we lost him?” the Kid asked before taking a drink.

“I doubt it. Griff is determined and won’t be giving up too easy.”

Curry closed his canteen, looked around, and pointed to a rocky edge. “We can get a good view of the valley from there.”

They walked over and crouched low, lying near the rim. Below them they saw the road ribbon through the green valley, colored with wildflowers. Trees grew on the sides of the foothills, getting thicker with the higher elevation.

“I don’t see him. Do you?” Heyes asked.

“Nope, but that don’t mean he’s not there,” the Kid replied.

“Hi’ya, Heyes and Kid! Whatcha lookin’ for?”

The two former outlaws quickly rolled over to see who was behind them. Curry went for his gun, but only found an empty holster.

“Charlie Nelson!” they said, in unison.

“Don’t you know better than to be sneakin’ up on us like that?” Kid Curry growled as he let out a breath.

“You two are losin’ your touch lettin’ an old man like me come up behind you and not hear me.” Charlie chuckled. “Whatcha doin’ here? Whatcha lookin’ for?”

Heyes smiled. “Nice to see you, Charlie. Remember an outlaw by the name of Horace Griff?”

Nelson thought a moment. “Yeah, he was in the Plummer gang with you, Heyes, and then joined the Red Sash Gang, but that was years ago.”

“He’s a bounty hunter now and almost got us.”

“So, you'll be needin’ a place to hide until it cools a little, huh? You’re welcome to come to my place. Griff won’t be able to find you there.” The older man started walking back to the creek. He turned and looked back. “Come on. Whatcha waitin’ for?”

Heyes and the Kid looked at each other, shrugged, and got up to follow Charlie. They got their horses and trailed behind their guide by foot for over a mile.

“How much further is it?” Heyes asked.

“Right up there.” Nelson pointed to a rock wall.

The Kid stood still a moment and carefully checked out the area. “Where?”

“Here!” Charlie slipped through a crevice that was just big enough to walk the horses.

“Huh. And we thought Devil’s Hole was well hidden!” Heyes exclaimed as he encouraged his chestnut to follow.

Curry studied the crevice for a moment to allow Heyes time to get through. “You can’t see it unless it’s pointed out to you. Charlie's right; Griff will never find it.” The Kid then walked into it, pulling his horse along. “Come on, boy. You can do it.”

The narrow path became wider and came out in a secluded valley with a stream and trees. A small cabin was nestled close to the opening and water.

“It ain’t much or big, but no one bothers me here.” Charlie walked up to his house and opened the door to a single room with a fireplace to one side to cook and provide some heat.

Heyes and the Kid secured their horses and followed him in.

“Nice place you got, Charlie,” the Kid commented. “Nice and cosy.”

“Plenty big enough for me. Let me show you the lean-to I have for my mule. You can probably hobble the horses for a while to eat and drink their fill.”

Curry and Heyes did just that and brought in their saddle bags.

“You two can put your gear over in that corner. There should be enough room to lay your blankets on the floor.” Charlie went over to the fire and stirred a simmering pot. “Dinner’s 'bout ready. Bet you’re ready to eat, Kid. You were always hungry at the Hole.” He pulled down a single plate from a shelf. “You’ll have to use your own plates.”

The Kid smiled as he dug their plates out of the saddlebags. “You got that right, Charlie; I am hungry. Whatever you’re cookin’ smells delicious

Heyes and the Kid sat on the floor, leaning against a wall as they ate.

“You two are dang far from the Hole.” Nelson blew on his stew.

“We left the Hole. Got outta the business.” The Kid took a tentative bite. “This is good.”

“Got outta the business!? Why’d you do a dang fool thing like that? You two were the best!”

“Quieter safes, bigger posses, telegrams in the area making all the sheriffs aware of where we were. It was just a matter of time before someone got killed,” Heyes explained.

“So, Griff’s a bounty hunter,” Charlie commented. “Can’t get much lower than turnin’ in his own kind.”

“He’s always been a traitor. He wanted into the Devil’s Hole Gang, but I warned Big Jim about letting him in.” Heyes took a bite of stew.

“Big Jim… I wonder what happened to him?”

“You know he went to prison for seven years…” When Charlie nodded, Heyes continued. “He went back up to the Hole and planned to rob the Denver Mint, but I talked him out of it. He met a gal and went to San Francisco with her.”

“Well, I’ll be.”

The Kid got up and took everyone’s plate. “I’ll go out and wash the dishes and check on the horses.”

“Kid…”

“Yeah, Charlie.”

“Somethin’ don’t look right.” He cocked his head and eyed the other man a moment. “Where’s your gun?”

Kid Curry scowled. “Griff has our guns.” He turned and walked out the door.

“He’s mighty upset without his gun,” Heyes explained.

“Just don’t look natural with Kid Curry not havin’ a gun.” Charlie got up and opened a trunk. He rummaged around and pulled out a handgun. “Here it is – my old Colt Patterson.”

A few minutes later, Curry walked in the door with clean plates.

“Kid, I got somethin’ for you.” Charlie handed him his gun. “It’s old, but I’m sure it still works. Can’t have Kid Curry without a gun.”

The Kid took the old gun. “I can’t…”

“Sure, you can. Don’t use it no more.”

Curry looked towards Heyes who smiled and shrugged. “He did get it out of a trunk.”

The gunman nodded. “Thanks, Charlie. I’ll clean it right away.”

Nelson beamed. “Well, there’s a few more hours of daylight, so I’m gonna go back to pannin’ for a while. Probably best if you two stay put with Griff in the area.” He pulled down his pan. “Back in a few hours.”

Kid Curry sat at the table taking apart, cleaning, and oiling the old gun while Heyes sat and read a book he had found covered in dust, sitting on a shelf.

“I bet this gun hasn't been cleaned in years. This rust won’t come out. The sight is off, too,” the Kid grumbled.

Heyes looked up. “If I were you, Kid, I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Just be grateful that Charlie was kind enough to give you his old gun when you needed one.”

“Yeah, you’re right. He was pretty pleased to give it to me and we do need a gun.” Curry rubbed the barrel. “But, this doesn't change anything. We’re goin’ after Griff and gettin’ our guns back, right?”

Heyes nodded. “Yep. We can't let him get away with it.”

A few days later, Heyes and the Kid were packed up and ready to leave the cabin.

Charlie leaned against his doorway. “Haven’t seen hide nor hair of Griff while I was prospectin’, so you two should be okay. It was real nice havin’ company.”

“Sure we can’t give you something for feeding us?” Heyes asked.

“Nah, I’ve done good pannin’ and have plenty for an old former outlaw.” Nelson smiled. “It was good seein’ you boys again and I’m glad you’re former outlaws, too. You’ll live longer, if you don’t get caught by a posse or bounty hunter. You know the way out?”

“Yep. It’s getting in that’s tricky.” Heyes finished tying down his bedroll.

“Thanks, again, for the gun, Charlie.” Curry nodded once. “Appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome. Like I said, can’t have Kid Curry without a gun. You boys come back anytime you need a rest and keep your noses clean.”

“We will. Thanks for everything, Charlie!”

“Take care!”

Heyes and the Kid led their horses through the narrow path and out the crevice. They looked back and shook their heads.

“No one would find that without knowing it was there,” Heyes commented.

“Wonder how Charlie found it?” The Kid mounted his horse. “Let’s go get our guns back.”

A few days later, Heyes and Kid Curry were looking down from a edge into a campsite where Griff sat eating a plate of beans.

“I’ll distract him and you come from behind,” Heyes whispered as he backed up and stood.

“That’s your plan?”

“You have the gun.”

“Not that sure of it.”

“You shot it while at Charlie’s a few times.”

“Yeah, but it’s old and can backfire.”

“You shouldn’t have to fire it. Just don’t let Griff see it.”

A few minutes later, Heyes walked into the camp. “Hi’ya, Griff.”

“Heyes!” Griff stumbled to stand and pulled out his gun. “Where’s your…”

“Right here,” the Kid said in a menacing voice as he pressed the gun barrel to Griff’s neck.

Griff panicked and began relieving himself.

Heyes and Curry furrowed their brows in disgust.

“What… What're you gonna do with me?” he stammered as his body began to tremble.

“Just gettin’ what belongs to us. Where’s our guns?” The barrel went a little deeper into the bounty hunter's neck.

“In… In that saddle bag.” Griff pointed a shaking finger towards a bag near the fire.

Heyes bent and picked it up. He rummaged around and pulled out their guns before dropping the bag to the ground. He handed the Colt to the Kid. “There you go.”

Kid Curry smiled as he exchanged guns. “That feels better. Let’s go.”

“What are you gonna do with me?” the bounty hunter whispered, his face as pale as a ghost.

Heyes pondered a moment. He took Griff’s gun and threw it in the bushes. He found a leather thong and roughly tied the bounty hunter's hands behind his back before forcing him to sit. “That’ll keep you busy for a while. Ready, Kid?”

“Almost.” Curry removed the rope that hobbled Griff’s horse and took the reins. Now I’m ready.”

“You can’t take my horse – you’ll hang!” Griff cried out.

“We’re not takin’ him. You’ll find him a few miles away.”

Heyes and Kid Curry rode out of the camp. The Kid's right hand rested protectively on his holster.

“Hey guys…” a plaintive voice called out behind them. “You can’t leave me like this! Guys!”

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"   March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March 21 - "Always Look A Gift Horse In the Mouth"
Page 1 of 1