Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

March 21 - Planting

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

March 21 - Planting    Empty
PostSubject: March 21 - Planting    March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2022 9:52 am

Well ... I am tardy again.
Swimming in work - sorry. wheel

Nevertheless - better a day late than never...

This month, one that has sat on the list for a good long while...
Have a productive mull on the subject of

PLANTING awsome awsome

Penski and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Smith and Jones   March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 4:27 pm

March Challenge 2022  
Final
Abruptly, Heyes jerked backward from a strong push on his shoulder.  Dropping the rock he was carrying, he whirled his arms to stop himself from falling.  His efforts proved unsuccessful as he landed on his bottom.  Looking up he saw the six-foot-four, grizzled face of Jimmy Joe Rigoli.

“Smith, you’re lazy.  Just like you’re a liar and a cheat at poker.”  Rigoli’s deep voice was dominant.  He was accustomed to being the prisoner in charge and held that title by brutality and force.

Moving to stand, Heyes was forced down again by a strong kick to the chest.  Rigoli continued, “You cheated at poker last night in the common room.  Nobody wins that many hands in a row.  You lied to the guard about how many rocks you moved yesterday, didn’t you?  Your partner moved a lot of those for you.  Cheat! Liar!”

From his sitting position, Heyes raised his hands slowly.  “You’re right, Jimmy Joe.  My partner and me, we work as a team so we both hit our quotas.”

The thought of the beatings given to prisoners who did not hit their daily quota of rocks flashed through Heyes’ thoughts.  He had fallen short their first day.  Dragged out of line, his hands were tied in front of him, around a pole.  He refused to yell until the fourth lash caught part of the back of his newly shaved head.  After the fifth lash, he was dragged to the cell he shared with his partner and thrown on the dirt floor.  They had resolved that night to combine their efforts so that would never happen to either of them again.  

Jimmy Joe took a threatening step forward.  Heyes scooted backwards while still sitting.  “And I don’t believe your names are Smith and Jones.”

“Lots of people named Smith and Jones.”  Heyes tried a small grin.

“Not you two.  I recognize you two from somewhere, just ain’t placed you yet.”

Catching a movement behind Rigoli, Heyes yelled, “Thaddeus, NO!”  He watched Curry march across the quarry, anger in his eyes.  

With a protective glance at his sitting partner, Curry spun Rigoli around to face him.  Without waiting, he landed his right fist to the larger man’s jaw.  He followed by planting his left fist to Rigoli’s left eye.  Rigoli swung back widely, only grazing Curry’s cheek.

As Heyes struggled to his feet, he saw four guards encircle the combatants.  “Thaddeus, enough.”

Curry stepped back and nodded to Heyes.  “You okay?”

“For now,” he answered, knowing that the punishment for fighting was lashes and solitary.

Not struggling against the guards, Curry allowed one of them to herd him against the mountain of quarried rock.  Rigoli felt differently.  He punched the first guard that tried to restrain him.  Whirling, he knocked out the second guard with a blow to his head.  

“Don’t move!”  The guard holding Curry pushed him further into the rocks.  Curry raised his hands.  “Yes, sir.  Not goin’ anywhere.”

The third guard moved from Curry and approached Rigoli from the back, billy club ready.  Skillfully, he whacked the large prisoner just below the back of his knees.  He crumbled forward onto the floor, growling.

Then all Heyes could see was guards swarming everywhere.  He stood up gingerly, favoring an ankle that had twisted under him when he fell.  Watching the guards subdue Rigoli, Heyes hopped to stand next to his partner.

Four guards roughly pulled Rigoli to his feet and supported him as his injured knees failed beneath him.  Dragging him from the quarry, the rest of the guards turned their interest to Heyes and Curry.  “You convicts, follow me,” the older guard ordered.

With Curry supporting a limping Heyes, they quietly followed the guard.  Heads down, eyes down, both dreaded the coming punishments.  Lost in his thoughts of a whipping, it took a moment before Heyes realized what Rigoli was yelling.  “They ain’t no Smith and Jones!”  His deep voice was pleading, “Just take me to the doctor and I’ll tell you who they really are!”

Sharing a silent gaze with his partner, Heyes realized there was nothing they could do at this moment.  Curry shrugged his shoulders in despair.  If Rigoli named them, instead of serving six-months here in the small Idaho Territorial Prison as Smith and Jones, they would serve twenty-years in the larger and rougher Wyoming Territorial Prison.

Instead of outside to the whipping post, Heyes and Curry were led to the solitary cells deep into the prison.  The only light here came through a rectangle hole in the roof.  The guard unlocked the first cell and indicated both of them to enter.  At their questioning looks, the guard smiled.  “Warden figured Rigoli been pushing you two hard.  Mostly, you been model prisoners, holding your tempers.  You won’t get the lash but solitary for ten days for fighting.  Both of you,” he added as Heyes was going to try and object.  “We’re short on cells so you will share a cell…and a honey pot,” he finished, pointing to the bucket in the corner of the metal cell.  “Reckon Rigoli will be in the infirmary for that long.”

Slamming the door of the cell, he looked back.  “One meal a day.  A shower after seven days.  Hope you two can stand being together, alone without killing each other.”  He flipped a deck of cards into the cell with a wink.

As the guards walked away from the cell, Heyes put his hand over Curry’s mouth before he could talk and nodded down the hall.  They were rewarded as they heard the guards talking.

“Imagine Rigoli thinking those two are members of the Blue Mountain Gang.”

Their laughter floated down the dark hallway.  “Yeah, he said the talkative one was Sure Shot Webster.”

“He sure don’t fit the description of a six-foot-two, left-handed gunfighter.”

Their laughter died away as they left the building.  With a relieved look, Curry turned to Heyes.  But before he could utter a word, he saw Heyes had his finger to his lips for quiet.

“Thaddeus,” Heyes emphasized the name with a nod of his head.  “This is going to be a long ten days.”  Pointing to his ears, he indicated that their conversations could be overheard.

Nodding in understanding, Curry answered using Heyes’ alias.  “With one honey pot and one meal per day, I think you’re right.  We can play cards during the day.  But look at it this way, when we get out of here, we’ll only have two weeks left on our time.”

*****ASJ*****ASJ

One month later, freemen Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones walked out the front door of the Idaho Territorial Prison.  Dressed in the clothes they wore when arrested, every possession and dollar was returned to them.  Curry kept drawing his gun, faster and faster each time.  Heyes relished the feel of his battered black hat on his head.  He looked back and smiled.  “Good to be out of there.”

Taking a deep breath of freedom, Curry answered, “Feels good.  Never want to go back.”  He realized Heyes had stopped and was looking back at the prison.  

“Thaddeus, it does give one a feeling of accomplishment to see the work we did building that prison though.”  

“Joshua, we quarried, moved and broke rocks that the builders used to build the new cell building.  We didn’t do nothing special to take credit for.”

“Probably should check in with Lom.”Heyes clapped Curry on the back as they walked to the nearest town.

Busy counting the money in his pocket, Curry nodded.  “We ain’t goin’ tell him what we been doin’ these last six months are we, Heyes?”

“Why Kid, Heyes and Curry were law abiding citizens working in construction away from Wyoming.”

Smiling a wide grin, Curry said, “But Smith and Jones are now ex-cons. They were even innocent, just in the wrong place at the right time.”

“Better them than us.”

FINE

EleanorW, Penski, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - Planting    March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm

“Jones! Quit your lollygagging, get your lazy butt back to work! I ain’t paying you to waste my time!” bellowed a large man with a prodigious belly hanging over a cinched-in waist.  His florid face was topped by a stubbly field of gray hair.

The Kid rolled his eyes and dropped the dipper back into the bucket where he’d drawn water for a quick drink. Using his sweat-stained sleeve, he wiped his mouth and swallowed.

Heyes looked up from the grain he was shoveling into a wheelbarrow and stared at the man who was paying them little more than slave wages. If Buck Grimes only knew who he’d been riding hard for weeks, he’d learn to be a touch more respectful. Shifting his glance to his partner, he saw only casual compliance but he knew the Kid was seething. For some reason, Grimes had it out for the blond ex-outlaw and focused his ugly attention almost exclusively on him.

Heyes couldn’t figure it out. Grimes had been a grumpy cuss when they’d taken the job but, as time wore on, he’d turned nastier and nastier towards the Kid who’d done nothing, far as Heyes could tell, to be singled out. He sighed. He’d spent every evening this week talking his partner out of quitting.

They’d been dead broke and on the run from being recognized in Dolores when they’d ridden into the aptly named Disappointment Valley. There was no living off the land to be done here and they’d been forced to sell the horses and most of their gear to afford to eat before they got this job and could begin earning money to replace what they’d sold. It had seemed like a good plan to hide out in this hellhole for a few weeks, but Heyes was willing to admit he’d made a mistake. The land was desert dry for a hundred miles in any direction, with the exception of Grimes’ Heartbreak Ranch, and they’d been lucky to sign on here. A rare, very productive spring fed the ranch and permitted Grimes to grow oats and run cattle before selling both at exorbitant prices to other valley residents not as lucky. It also made him a bully and the Kid hated bullies.

Mrs. Grimes was a study in contradiction. She seemed submissive to her blustering spouse but didn’t hesitate to boldly order Heyes and the Kid around; often getting them in trouble for shirking their duties while seeing to hers. She fed them well, made sure they had enough at every meal, but watched them like she feared for her silverware. Her two small children were constantly warned to steer clear of the hired hands.

Sauntering back to his partner as slowly as possible, the Kid whistled a tune and swung the shovel he carried as he walked up to Heyes. With a smile on his face, he whispered, “One more insult and I swear I’m plantin’ him, Heyes.”  His shovel speared into the pile of oats with a vengeance before lobbing the grain into the wheelbarrow.

“No, you won’t. You’re not a killer and you ain’t starting now.” Heyes’ belly tightened as he thought of Danny Bilson stretched out in a dusty street, a bullet through the center of his heart. The Kid wasn’t a killer, he’d been defending himself when Bilson challenged him and Bilson had been very, very good. So good Heyes had been worried.

The Kid frowned and nodded, “You’re right. Killing is too easy for him.”

“Shh,” hushed Heyes, his eyes focused behind the Kid.

“Jones! I’m docking your pay for that fence you mended. That old sow busted right through it again. Dammit, you idiot, can’t you do anything right?”

“Apparently not,” growled the Kid glaring at Grimes, his chest puffing out, and his hand dropping to where his Colt should’ve hung.

Heyes quickly slid between the two men. “I’ll get to fixing that right away, Mr. Grimes. Thaddeus here will finish up storing away the oats, won’t you, Thaddeus?” The icy blue glare slid away from it’s target and locked on brown eyes. “Won’t you, Thaddeus?” repeated Heyes harshly.

Not trusting himself to speak, the Kid turned back to the wheelbarrow and began shoveling as slowly as possible.

Heyes switched his attention to the rancher. “I see the missus is putting out lunch on the veranda. Why don’t you go pour yourself a tall glass of her delicious lemonade and enjoy your meal.  I’ll have that fence mended and help Thaddeus finish up here before you’re done.”

Grimes grunted. “See that it holds this time or you’ll be out of a job. Both of you!”

“Yessir,” responded Heyes. Watching until Grimes was out of earshot, Heyes then spun around and opened his mouth, but was abruptly cut off by his partner.

“Save it, Heyes. I heard it all before.”

“Kid…”

“I said save it!” snapped Curry.

“We have enough.”

“What?”

“When Grimes pays us after lunch, we quit. The stage comes through at five tonight. When I picked up Mrs. Grimes dry goods in town this morning, I booked us two seats to Wright’s Mesa. We’ll have enough left over to stake us a couple of nags when we get there.” Heyes waited until the words sunk in and then he grinned in response to the Kid’s beaming smile.

“Well, don’t just stand there, partner. Go fix the damn fence!”

###

Heyes wheeled the barrow up the planking that led to the top of the tall silo and dumped the last of the grain inside before sliding the loading door shut. He climbed down the ladder. The Kid was carefully checking the latch that prevented the oats from pouring out of the bottom chute and spilling onto the ground. “I ain’t takin’ any chances, Heyes.”

###

Quitting did not go well but at least they’d filled their bellies on Mrs. Grimes’ chicken and dumplings before bringing the subject up. The couple had reacted exactly how Heyes had imagined. Their money had been shoved at them, after no small amount of haggling, and they’d been given only minutes to pack the little gear they had.

Heyes buckled his saddlebags and slung them over his shoulder as he turned to see the Kid was strapping on his holster.

“You really need to wear that?” he asked skeptically.

With a jerk of his head, the Kid redirected Heyes to the sight of Grimes stepping off his veranda, a scattergun in his hands. Heyes groaned. “Don’t.” He followed the Kid outside, his stomach in knots.

“You two march your tails the hell off my property or I’m filling your seats with buckshot!” yelled Grimes, gesturing towards the road. He followed them as far as the large shadow thrown by the silo and stood hurling invectives.

The two ex-outlaws had just reached the ranch gate when the boom of the shotgun went off and shot riddled the top of the gateposts. Heyes ducked low but the Kid spun around, his gun already in his hand, and fired. Reluctantly, Heyes looked back, afraid to see. The latch to the grain silo was gone and several hundred tons of oats had already buried Grimes up to his neck, yet he still manage to scream threats and insults. Mrs. Grimes and the two kids were standing on the porch gaping at him. Heyes started to chuckle.

“Told you, I’d plant ‘im.”

“You did a fine job, too.  By the time they dig old man Grimes out, we’ll be halfway to the mesa, but let’s hurry anyways.”

“Happy to.”  

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

EleanorW, Penski, Dan Ker, Gemhenry, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
EleanorW

EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - Planting    March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 4:09 pm

It's officially 31st March here in the UK so I just managed to get in before the deadline, with a very rare plot bunny Very Happy

Cheyenne, WY. Wednesday, March 21st,  1883

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry stood on the steps of the Cheyenne Courthouse, staring blankly across the street, expressions of shock on their faces.

Lom Trevors stood a few yards off to the side, a smile on his face as he watched the two try to come to terms with what they’d just been told.  That they had finally been granted amnesty.

He could understand that they weren’t quite sure how to react. Whether to laugh, cry, or jump up and down with glee.  They’d spent the last three years staying out of trouble – while still being wanted and subject to arrest, on sight, to serve a twenty year prison term  -  in order to earn their prized pardons. Three years of having to be constantly on the move, lest someone recognize them. Three years of living hand-to-mouth, and of being unable to put down roots and build a new life.  

Both had doubted they would ever be granted amnesty and so had given little serious thought to what they would do afterwards.  Now they had it, and it was obvious that they had no idea what to do next.

He watched them for a few moments longer, as they stood, side by side, Heyes, for once, speechless, Curry, flabbergasted as they tried to take it in.

When Lom had ordered them to attend the Courthouse today, to meet with the Governor of Wyoming, they had been concerned that the Governor was going to tell them that the amnesty offer had been rescinded, or else the terms were to be changed, yet again, to make them wait even longer, and they hadn’t been very keen to attend the meeting.  The thought that this was the day they were finally going to receive it never entered their heads.

Lom too, had been surprised, the Governor not having made him privy to the reasons for the meeting, only that he should ensure that Heyes and Curry attended.

Presently, he moved behind them and put a hand on each of their shoulders.

“Congratulations, boys.  I told you you’d get it eventually, didn’t I?”

Heyes finally found his voice.

“I can’t believe it!” he croaked, turning now to look at Curry, “Can you?”

Curry shook his head, not trusting himself to speak.

“What do we do now?” muttered, Heyes, genuinely stumped.

“Well, first, we’re going to go to the nearest saloon, for a celebration drink.” said Lom, propelling them down the steps and down the street to the nearest saloon.

Some time - and several whiskies - later, Heyes and Curry were beginning to absorb the fact that they were now free men and didn’t have to keep looking over their shoulder for the law.  It was a heady feeling.

Curry took out the paper detailing his pardon, for about the fourth time, and re-read it just to be sure he hadn’t imagined the events of the past couple of hours.

“You aint dreamin’, Kid. It’s really true.” grinned Heyes.

Curry blushed and put the paper back in the pocket of his jacket.

“Well, boys,” Lom began, “You’ve spent years harvesting other people’s money and assets. Now it’s time for you to do some planting.”

“Planting?” Heyes gave him a quizzical look.

“Seeds.”

“Seeds?”

Lom nodded.  “Your outlaw life is finished.  So is your life as transients, always having to be on the move. Now you can settle down, and begin to plant the seeds of a new life.  Have you given any thought to what you want to do?”

Heyes and Curry exchanged glances.  They’d sometimes indulged in idle ‘I wouldn’t mind doing that’ conversations, for when they might once more be free men, but not with any kind of conviction since they’d never really believed they would get the chance.

“Well…” Curry began, tentatively, “I always fancied trying my hand at breeding horses…”

Lom turned to Heyes, “What about you?”

Heyes thought for a moment before saying, “I’d quite like to enrol in law school…”

Curry almost choked on the whisky he’d just sipped, at the idea of the former leader of the Devil’s Hole Gang becoming a lawyer.

Heyes glared at him, “Why not? You’re always telling me I think like a lawyer. I think my past life would be a benefit, in that line of work, not a hindrance.”

“You’re right, Heyes.” Curry managed to get his amusement under control. “You definitely think like a lawyer.  If that’s what you want to do, go for it.”

“One step at a time, boys.” said Lom, “To do either of those things you’re first going to need money.”

“We’ll raise it playing poker.” said Heyes.

Lom gave him a withering look. “Poker?” A gifted poker player, Heyes had often been accused of cheating and could have ended up dead several times but for Curry’s fast draw, which usually stopped any attempt at violence before it could escalate.  But, getting involved in such situations now that they’d received their pardons was not a wise move in Lom’s opinion.

“It’s the fastest way I can think of to make the kind of money we’re going to need.”

“When you play poker, you draw trouble like a magnet,” Lom told him, “and pulling your gun” he looked at Curry now, “to help him out is the quickest way to find yourselves back on the wrong side of the law. Or dead.”

“Relax, Lom,” Heyes put a hand on Lom’s shoulder, “I don’t mean playing poker in some cheap saloon.  I’m talking about high stakes poker, like at some of those highfalutin’ gentlemen’s clubs they have in San Francisco.” He turned to Curry now, “Soapy could arrange for us to get into some of the ones his friends frequent.”

Curry nodded. That definitely sounded a better idea to him than having to get some mundane job where it would take three times as long to earn what they could make at one of those high-class poker games.

“I’m sure Soapy would lend us money for a buy-in and we could pay him back out of the profits,” Heyes continued, “and there would be far less risk of trouble playing in places like those.”

Lom could see the logic of Heyes’ suggestion, although he still didn’t care much for it.

“Well, I guess you two know what you’re doing, but just be careful.” he warned, “Those amnesties have been hard won. If you get into trouble again you won’t get a second chance to start over.”

Heyes grinned, “We will, Lom.  Now, who’s round is it?”

Denver, CO. Tuesday August 21st, 1883

Hannibal Heyes stood on the platform of Denver’s railway station, watching as the noon train pulled in, in a cloud of smoke.

As disembarking passengers mingled with those attempting to board, Heyes craned his neck looking for a familiar face.

Presently, a smile came to his lips when he saw Lom Trevors exit the railway carriage to stand looking around him.

Pushing his way through the throng of people Heyes called out Lom’s name.  Lom turned in the direction of the voice, breaking into a smile as Heyes approached him.

“Hi, Lom.  Glad you could make it.”

“I have to admit, I was a little surprised to get your wire. I didn’t expect to hear from you for some time yet.”

“I told you those high stakes poker games were the fastest way to make money.” grinned Heyes.

“I know, but even so…”

“Once we make our minds up to do something, we don’t let the grass grow.” Heyes told him, “Come on, I’ve got a buggy outside.  Kid’ll join us shortly. Said he had an errand to run.”

Heyes led the way outside where he’d left the horsedrawn buggy.

“How far is it?” asked Lom, as they rode.

“Oh, about half an hour.”

They made idle chit chat as they rode, until Heyes turned off the road and headed up a lengthy track at the end of which was a fairly large, single storey ranch house with a railed porch running around the outside of it.  The rear of the house was shielded from the cold northerly winds by a line of tall trees but off to the right-hand side were acres of grassland looking towards the mountains.

Heyes watched Lom as he looked around with open admiration.  They’d only moved in a couple of weeks ago and had invited Lom to come over and have a look around.

“What do you think?” he asked.

“I’m impressed,” said Lom, “This is perfect for raising horses.  How much land do you have?”

“About 700 acres, with an option to buy more if and when we need to. Took us a couple of months to win enough money for a down payment on the place and to get enough horses to get started.”

“Why Denver particularly? There’s lots of places where you could have set up a place like this.”

“We’ve always liked Denver.  We decided early on that it would be a good location – fairly isolated, with lots of open space, yet still fairly close to the city – and we were lucky that this place came up for sale just at the right time.  It’s registered in both our names, and we’ll both live here, but Kid will mostly be running the place himself.  It is his dream after all.”

“And you?”

Heyes grinned.  “I’m going to study law.”

Lom’s eyebrows rose in surprise.  When he’d mentioned it in Cheyenne Lom hadn’t been sure he was being serious.

“Won’t you have to go to New York to do that?” he asked.

“Not right now.  I found a law firm here in Denver who are willing to take me on as an apprentice, to read law.  I might go to Columbia or somewhere, later on, maybe, once the ranch gets established, but I can get started this way. I wouldn’t want to head off to New York or somewhere and leave Kid on his own until then.”

“Seems like you have everything worked out.”

“Hope so.  By working at the law firm, I’ll still be around to help out here until it’s financially viable to take on more staff.  Kid’ll show you the horses later. In the meantime, come on in and I’ll make some coffee.”  Heyes climbed down from the buggy and headed into the house, Lom following after him.

The house was more than adequate for the two of them, having a large living area with a separate kitchen off it, two good sized bedrooms, a dedicated bathroom housing a wash stand and basin and a cast iron bath tub, and a further room which Heyes said he was planning to utilise for his legal studies.  The previous owners had left a fair amount of the furniture behind and so they’d only had to buy beds and few odds and ends to make it comfortable.

“Did you tidy up specially for me?” quipped Lom, noticing how neat and clean everything was.

“Just because we used to live like gypsies doesn’t mean we don’t care about how we live,” said Heyes, looking slightly miffed, “It’s the first time we’ve ever had a place to call our own and we’re still a mite houseproud I guess.”

“Sorry.” Lom looked contrite.

“But I daresay the novelty will wear off after a while and we’ll get fed up of having to clean up after ourselves but, hopefully, by then, we’ll be able to afford a housekeeper.”

Lom smiled.  “Got it all planned, haven’t you?”

“That’s always been the secret of our success.  Good planning.” grinned Heyes.

Just then, the sound of a wagon approaching drew their attention.

They went outside where Kid Curry was just dismounting from a buckboard.

“Howdy, Lom. Good to see you.” he smiled, as he went around to the back of the wagon, “What do you think of the place?”

“I’m impressed so far.”

“I told Lom you’d show him the horses later on.” said Heyes.

“Sure.  We’ve got some beauties.  Good starter stock.”

“What on earth have you got there?” asked Heyes, as Curry reached into the back of the wagon and hefted a large tree sapling out of it.

“I got this to mark a special occasion – well a couple actually,” said Curry as he leaned the twenty-foot sapling against the porch railing.

“Oh?”

“Not only does today mark five months since we got the amnesty but it also marks twenty years since our folks were killed.”

“Oh.” said Heyes, his expression clouding at the mention of that fateful day when their lives were changed forever.

“This is the first place we’ve ever owned. That we can call home.” Curry continued, “I thought it would be good to plant a tree, not only to make our mark on the place, but in memory of them too.”

“That’s a nice idea.” said Lom.

“Yes, it is,” agreed Heyes, feeling a little guilty for not having remembered what the date was.  Although he and Curry rarely talked about that day, the date was etched indelibly into their minds and each would silently remember their families on it.  But, with everything that had been going on this last few months, as they’d worked to sow the seeds of their new lives, for once it had completely slipped his mind.

“So, we just need to decide on a place to plant it.” said Curry, his hands on his hips as he looked around for a suitable spot.  

“How about if we put it over there?” Heyes pointed off to the left about twenty yards from the front of the house, “That way we’ll always be able to see it from the living room window, and watch it grow.”

Curry nodded, “Good idea.”

“I’ll go get a shovel.” said Heyes, heading off to the barn situated at the rear of the house.

“I’m sure your folks would be proud of the way you two have turned your lives around.” Lom said now.

“I hope so.” said Curry, sadly, “I can’t say we didn’t enjoy our time outlawin’, even though we only started it from a need to survive.  But a part of me always felt bad about it because I knew my folks would have been disappointed in me for it. They wouldn’t have taken a cent from anyone. Heyes’ folks neither.”

“I’m sure they would have understood, given the circumstances.” said Lom.

“Maybe.”

Just then, Heyes returned with a shovel which he handed to Curry.  “Hang on a minute.” he said, going back inside the house and returning a few moments later with a tray on which stood three glasses of whisky.

“Might as well make it a proper tree planting ceremony,” he grinned, as he headed over to the spot where they were to plant the tree, placing the tray on the ground a few yards away.

They took it in turns to dig a hole deep enough to accommodate the tree’s roots and then Curry held it in place while Heyes filled in the hole.  Lom went to fetch a bucket of water with which to bed it in and then they stood back admiring their handywork.

“I wonder how long it’ll take to get full grown?” Curry said, presently.

“Longer than you and I will be around, I imagine” said Heyes, “although in thirty years it should be pretty big.”

“Thirty years? You think we’ll still be here then?” Curry cast him a sidelong glance.

“Don’t see why not, Kid.  We aint on the run no more, and I don’t have any burning desire to move anywhere else.  Do you?”

Curry smiled.  “Nope.”

Heyes picked up the tray and handed Lom and Curry a glass each before taking his own.

“Well, we made it, Kid.  From orphans to outlaws to respectable businessmen in twenty years. Who would have thought it, eh?”

“It is a bit hard to take in.” said Curry.

“I’m happy for you both,” said Lom, “I did have my doubts that you two would manage to keep to the straight and narrow, but I’m very glad you proved me wrong.”

“We’ve got you to thank for that as much as anyone, Lom.” said Heyes, “Without you keeping tabs on us we may well have backslid to our old ways.”

“Well, I’m glad you didn’t.”

Heyes’ eyes met Curry’s, an unspoken conversation passing between them.  After that fateful day, twenty years ago, when their childhoods had been torn away from them, they hadn’t been able to see any kind of future for themselves. But now, here they were, having survived all the trials and tribulations that life had thrown at them, on the brink of a new life and with a place of their own for the first time ever.  It seemed nothing short of a miracle.

They turned back to the newly planted tree, each taking a moment to remember their families.  Curry had been right, Heyes mused. This tree would serve not only as a memorial to them, but also as a symbol of the start of their new life, growing along with them as they moved forward into new ventures.

Glancing at the others, Heyes said, “Here’s to the future!”  crossing his fingers, behind his back, that the future would be brighter than their recent past.

“To the future!” echoed Lom and Curry, as three clinked their glasses and tossed back their drinks.

Penski, Dan Ker and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - Planting    March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 6:55 pm

Planting a Garden - Outlaw 1.0

Spring came early in Wyoming in 1878. The lower snowy fields melted into green valleys with pink, purple, yellow, and orange wildflowers while the still white-capped mountains lingered in the background.

Spring came early to Devils Hole in 1878. Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry sat outside the leaders’ cabin greeting the outlaws who hadn’t holed up for the winter in the outlaws’ hideout.

“You know what we need?” Heyes puffed on his cigar. “A garden.”

Curry stopped rocking his chair by the back two feet and stared at his partner. “A garden?”

“Yeah, a garden. You know, some beans, peas, corn, potatoes…”

“I know what a garden is, Heyes. Why do you think we need one?”

“Ain’t it obvious?” Heyes rolled his eyes. “We get all the meat we need with hunting, but we could use some vegetables to go with our meals.”

“Home-grown does taste better than canned.” The Kid commenced to rocking again.

“Tonight I think we should ask the gang what they think about it. We can go to town and get seeds tomorrow.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“A garden? Are you plumb loco?” Wheat asked, but quickly added, “No offense, Kid, but that is a crazy idea.”

“Why’s it such a crazy idea?” Curry asked as he leaned against the wall with his arms folded in front of him.

“Outlaws just don’t grow gardens!”

“Says the outlaw named Wheat.” Heyes grinned. “Why not? Devil’s Hole Gang ain’t like other outlaws so why can’t we grow a garden?”

“My ma had a huge garden when I was a young’un. It was fun playin’ in the dirt and helpin’ her,” Kyle reminisced.

“My folks had a big garden behind the house, too. It had the best tomatoes – nothin’ like a fresh tomato off the vine,” Hank offered.

“So, who wants to grow a garden?” Heyes asked. “Let’s see a show of hands.”

“I do!” Kyle eagerly put his hand in the air.

“Count me in.” Hank stood up from his bunk and came over to the table.

“I’ll help.” Preacher took a sip of coffee.

“So, with me and the Kid, that’s five of us.” Heyes sat down and pulled out a piece of paper and a pencil stub. “What kind of seeds should we get?”

“Green beans, corn on the cob, potatoes…” Kyle began listing.

“Don’t forget tomatoes,” Hank added.

“Lettuce and radishes?” the Kid offered.

“Sure.” Heyes wrote down the items on his list. “How about onions for cooking stews and meats?”

Preacher nodded. “Yep, that all sounds good.”

“How about carrots, cucumbers and melons?” Lobo asked.

“Does that mean you’re wanting to work in the garden, too, Lobo?”

“Sure, why not? Give us something to do between jobs.”

“Don’t forget sunflowers!” Kyle added, looking at Heyes’ list.

“Flowers?” Wheat scoffed. “You ain’t growin’ no flowers in an outlaw hideout!”

“It’s for the seeds, Wheat! I like chewin’ on the seeds,” Kyle defended his choice.

Heyes looked up and gave Wheat a look. “You said you don’t want a part of this garden so you can’t decide what’s going in it.”

“Well, if it’s for the seeds, I guess that’s okay.”

“Me and Kid will ride into town tomorrow and buy the seeds while the rest of you start getting the ground ready.” Heyes stood up. “Figure out the best sunny place.”

“We’ll get right on that, Heyes. Don’t you worry none.” Kyle spit some chaw in a spittoon.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry returned from town, fired three times, and entered the Hole.

“So, where do you think they decided to put the garden?” the Kid wondered aloud.

“Well, the best place is on the east side of our cabin?”

“East side? Why there?”

“Best sun,” Heyes stated.

“And too far from a water source.”

“Where would you put a garden?”

Curry pondered for a moment. “Between the barn and the creek.”

“Not enough sun.”

“There is too enough sun and plenty of water and horse manure nearby,” Curry defended his location.

“But the creek can flood. Have you thought of that?”

“There’s snow up in the high country, but not enough snow to make the creek flood this year.”

Heyes turned in his saddle. “What about a flash flood after a big storm?”

Curry reined in his horse and stopped. “When have we had a flash flood in the Hole?”

Heyes shrugged. “Probably will if there’s a garden there.”

The two cousins bantered their way to the barn, where they removed the saddles and tack, rubbed down their horses, and set them out in the corral.

“Well, no one thought your location was good, ‘cause they didn’t get the ground prepared here.” Heyes smirked at his partner as they walked from the barn to the creek.

“Didn’t choose your location, either.” Curry pointed to the south side of the bunkhouse. “Kyle’s workin’ the ground over there.”

“Huh. Looks like Hank’s taken a fancy to a garden over by the waterfall.” Heyes took off his hat and ran his fingers through his hair before putting the hat back on. “Kyle! Hank! Preacher and Lobo!”

The gang made their way to their leaders, even those not planning to garden.

“What’s going on here? Why aren’t you preparing the ground for one big garden?”

“I says this side of the bunkhouse is the best,” Kyle spit out.

“Is not,” argued Hank. “By the waterfall has easy water; no water by your garden.”

“I can get water…”

“Hold it, right there!” Curry demanded. “You got plots of soil, too, Lobo and Preacher?”

“I thought I’d help all of you by blessing the crops and praying for good weather; not by actually tilling the land.” Preacher took out a small bottle and took a drink.

“And I decided that’s too much hard work. I decided against gardenin’,” Lobo said quietly.

“Well, it looks like we all have a difference of opinions where a garden should be. Me and the Kid ain’t agreeing with where a garden should be, either.” Heyes looked around at the men. “I guess it don’t hurt to have four smaller gardens than one big garden.”

Curry reached in his saddle bag and pulled out pouches. “Here’s the seeds you wanted. I’ll put them over on that stump by the well for anyone who wants them.”

“Don’t use all of one seed in your garden without the others’ permission, you hear?” Heyes stated.

“Never thought I’d see the day outlaws turned into farmers,” mumbled Wheat from the bunkhouse door.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Four men worked hard to get the ground turned, grass clumps removed, the soil broken up fine, and ready for seeds.

Kyle’s plot was uneven, along with his rows, as he tossed the seed around, putting the sunflowers in the middle.

Hank created a nice rectangle, but the ground was packed down making work more difficult. He made small mounds in his plot where he only planted tomatoes.

The Kid’s area was soft soil that was easy to dig so he quickly made his garden ready for seed with rows for each of his plants, like he remembered his folks doing back in Kansas.

Heyes worked on the soil, sat and planned, worked on the soil, sat and plotted. His ground was harder than the Kid’s with a few rocks he had to remove. When he was finished, his plot was a perfect rectangle with raised beds and furrowed rows. He planned just what plants would be best placed to another.

The men in the bunkhouse laughed and played poker.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I bless this garden. May the gentle rains from heaven water it and may the produce come up abundantly.” Preacher made the sign of the cross over each garden plot and took a sip of whiskey.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“When you gonna stop playin’ in the dirt and start plannin’ for the next job, Heyes?” Wheat asked his leader who was carefully hoeing his garden.

“I can plot and plan while working in the garden,” Heyes argued. “It’s good for the mind being out here.”

“Sure, it is.” Wheat shook his head as he walked away.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Somethin’ came up in my garden!” Kyle exclaimed as he ran into the bunkhouse.

“What is it? Sunflower? Corn?” Preacher asked.

“I dunno.” Kyle scratched his head. “I don’t remember what I planted where.”

“Probably a weed,” Wheat mumbled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kyle walked into the bunkhouse with his head down and threw his hat on his bunk. “It was a weed.”

“Told you so,” Wheat said under his breath and chuckled.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hannnibal Heyes stood in the bunkhouse with all the men sitting at the table listening to the plans for the next job. Kid Curry stood near the door, leaning against the wall with his arms folded in front of him.

“Okay, does everyone know what they’re supposed to be doing and where they’re supposed to be?” Heyes looked around the table. “Are there any questions?”

Hank raised his hand. “Who’s gonna water the gardens while we’re gone?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wheat spurred his horse on to keep up with the others. He glanced back and frowned. “What’s the hurry?” he shouted to the leaders. “Is there a posse I don’t see followin’ us?”

“Gotta get back to the gardens!” Heyes yelled back.

Wheat rolled his eyes and slowed down. “I ain’t breakin’ my neck for no stupid garden.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“I got a tomato!” Hank exclaimed.

“I got corn and sunflowers comin’ up! Corn should be knee high by July.” Kyle grinned.

“All my plants are coming up, too!” Heyes put down the bucket of water and wiped the sweat from his brow with his shirt.

Kid Curry grinned. “Told you your garden was too far from water, Heyes.”

Heyes scowled. “How's your garden doing?”

“Mighty fine.” Curry gave a nod. “It’s weeded and plants are comin’ up just fine with the horse manure and water I’ve been givin’ ‘em.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Hey Hank, can I have a tomato?” Wheat asked.

Hank shook his head. “You should’ve help grow some.”

“For whatever a man sows, this he will also reap,” Preacher stated.

Hank nodded towards Preacher. “What he said.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“ARGH!…” Kyle shouted and waved his hat frantically all around.

The Kid looked up from his gardening. “What’s wrong, Kyle?”

“The dang birds are eatin’ my sunflower seeds!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Don’t anyone want a tomato?” Hank asked with his bucket full of the red fruit. “Sure is a lot of them now.”

“Not me.” Wheat shook his head. “I’ve had my full of tomatoes in the last week.”

Hank pondered. “I wonder how my ma canned tomatoes.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes looked out of the window watching his garden trying to endure the thunderstorm. “Another day of rain. Garden’s getting too much water.”

The Kid sat at the table meticulously wiping down his gun barrel. “Well, you won’t have to carry buckets of water over there to water it for a while.”

Heyes looked out another window. “Creek’s raising.”

“What?!” Curry hurried over to the window and sighed. “May be losin’ some of my melons.”

Loud noise began pounding on the cabin’s roof.

Heyes sighed. “Hail and gardens don’t get along.”

Quickly, the ground became white with hailstones.

“Really!?” Heyes shouted from the front porch as looked down, then glared up at the dark sky. “Birds eating our seeds, flooding, then hailstones... What's next? A bunch of grasshoppers or insects?”

Preacher put a hand on Heyes' shoulder. “Better be careful what you say, Heyes.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“My tomatoes ain’t lookin’ so good,” Hank sighed.

“My garden’s not lookin’ so good either,” Curry stated as he tried to hold up a plant just to have it fall again when he let go.

Heyes surveyed the plots and pushed his hat back. “None of our gardens are doing well.”

“Can’t you do something, Preacher?” Kyle begged.

“O Lord, be with your crops you have given us and help them to flourish again. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Amen.” Preacher pulled out a flask, toasted it up to the heavens, and took a deep drink.

Heyes frowned. “That’s a blessing?”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

From the window inside the bunkhouse, Wheat watched the four deflated “farmers” and Preacher assessing their gardens’ destruction from the hail. He tsked. “What a sorry bunch of folks.” Hitching up his pants, he went outside.

“Hey, you farmers,” he called out.

“Wheat…” the Kid warned him.

“I got an idea. How about makin’ some stone soup with what’s left in the gardens.”

“Stone soup?” Heyes looked up quizzical.

“Haven’t none of you heard about stone soup?” Wheat asked. “Come on in here and let me tell you a story my folks used to tell me.”

Heyes, the Kid, Hank, Kyle, and Preacher followed Wheat into the bunkhouse and sat down at the table.

Wheat began the story.

“Once upon a time, a hungry traveler happened upon a small cottage in a small village. He knocked on the door and asked the peasant if he could have some food.

The peasant said, “I’m sorry, but we’ve already eaten dinner and have no food left to cook.”

The traveler said, “Well, could I borrow a soup pot and some water? I’ll make Stone Soup.”

The traveler sat outside by a fire and the soup pot stirring the stone in the water. Someone in the village saw the traveler and asked, “Whatcha making?”

“Stone Soup,” replied the traveler. “I’d be happy to share it if you could lend me an onion.” The man returned some minutes later with an onion.

Another person noticed the boiling pot and said, “Mmm, that smells good. What are you making?”

“Stone Soup,” replied the traveler. “I’d be happy to share it, if you could lend me a carrot.” And this man returned some minutes later with a carrot.

By evening, a whole bunch of people brought different vegetables and stuff to put in the Stone Soup and at the end of the night, the traveler had made a big pot of Stone Soup to share with the everyone. They all enjoyed the warm meal together by the fire.

Wheat concluded by adding, “My folks said it's all about sharing with each other what we got when we don't think we have anything.”

Heyes pondered a moment and began to smile. “I like that.”

“You wanna make soup with stones?” Hank asked.

“No, we take what we can save from out of our gardens and make a big pot of stew.”

“Sharing with others.” Preacher patted his Bible. “The good Book talks about that.”

“I got a few sunflowers that survived,” Kyle said enthusiastically.

Wheat shook his head. “We ain’t putting sunflower seeds in soup!”

“Well, I can share ‘em with everyone later.”

The Kid nodded. “I have potatoes. They’re small and won’t grow more so they’ll be good for stew.”

“Same with my onions,” Heyes added. “I bet some of the other vegetables will be good enough for stew.”

Lobo and Kane rode into the outlaw hideout.

“Boy, was that some storm!” Lobo exclaimed. “We had to take shelter by some rocks.”

“Found these on our way back in.” Kane lifted two lifeless birds. “Thought they’d be good roasted up for dinner.”

Heyes put his hands on his hips. “Or for our stone soup.”

“Stone soup?” Kane and Lobo asked together.

“Don’t worry none. There ain’t no stones in it,” Kyle told them.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A few hours later, the bunkhouse was full of the aroma of a hearty stew. Biscuits were made to eat with the stone soup.

“Smells good. Real good.” Curry stirred the soup.

“Preacher, you blessed the gardens. Do you wanna bless our stone soup?” Heyes asked.

“Sure, I’d be happy to.” Preacher walked over to the stove. “Bless this food which we are about to receive.” He took out his flask, took a sip, and poured a generous portion in the pot. “Consider that my contribution.”

EleanorW, rachel741 and Kattayl like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 21 - Planting    March 21 - Planting    Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March 21 - Planting
Page 1 of 1