Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stable Cleanup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:37 am

Stable Cleanup

From Friscogirl

Kind of a bizarre question. The boys are always mucking out stables. What did one DO with the (ahem) muck afterwards? Must have been kinda smelly!!!! I know farmers use the stuff to fertilize, but....idle thought this morning.

=======================

From Remuda

Interesting question, generally, but when did the boys clean stables in the series? They paid the livery to take care of that when in town, and when out on the trail, the horses knew what to do!

Anyway, if they did, it would not have been their place, so presume they'd have put it wherever the owner / employer wanted. If it was a farm, it likely would have gone to fertilizer, but otherwise . . . who knows . . .

=======================

From GiddyUp

When I worked in a stable once the "muck" was just put on a big pile. I think it was going to be fetilzier but I'm not sure. Should have asked it when I had the chance.

Btw I'm with Remuda, when 'd the boys clean out stables? Must have missed that episode... I know Kid have been working in a stable in a story somewhere. But that was fan fiction. Just a parathese.

Anybody who got or had horses that knows the answear to this?

=======================

From Frisgogirl

sorry for any confusion. I think they mucked a stable in fan fiction
it came to mind when I was writing the October challenge and the boys went into the barn to take care of their horses. I wondered what they did with the .....stuff.

I know, I know. very bizarre thinking!!!

=======================

From Fortitudine

My grandfather kept a manure pile (fairly large at one point) in an area on the far side of the barn from the house, the house itself being a fair ways from the barn for obvious reasons. At regular intervals it was trucked off, presumably to neighbors with gardens. In the days before chemical fertilizer, manure would have been a valuable commodity.

I seem to remember reading, years and years ago, of farmers who dumped it in local rivers. This would have been prior to the existence of the EPA, however.

=======================

From Countryrosie

Frisgogirl when I was younger and lived on the farm with my parents and grandparents my dad and grandpa would go down to the barn where the cows where every so often with a tractor and scoop the muck as you call it out and put it in a wagon that had spiked cyclinders at the back and they would load the manuer wagon as it was called and then run it out to the fields and spread it over them as ferterlizer. That was another use for the muck

=======================

From Frankie ASJ
I have memories of a smouldering manure heap. When it had dried out some it was lit and slowly burned away for days on end. There's only so much horse poo roses need so, I guess, what wasn't wanted for gardens was burnt.

=======================

From Kwiltn

My Maw-Maw used to tell me of the days when as a girl she (and her 8 siblings) were sent out into the street to scoop up the valuable poo left by horses or ox-carts for their garden.

And I spent more than one field exercise in Bavaria where the farmer sprayed liquified sh#* from their fertilizer tanks over their fields next to our bivouac sites....we highly suspected they weren't thrilled with the thought of nuclear missiles parked in their neighborhood.....not that I blame them, but try living downwind of THAT for a week at a time! PHEEEEEEWWWWWW!

nm131

nm131

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:24 pm

My husbands Aunt and Uncle have a farm in Bucks County PA. They use a tractor to clean the muck (horse, cow, and sheep) out of the barn periodically and make a pile a small distance and on the non house side of the barn until it is used as fertilizer in the fields.

Ed has less than fond memories of helping to muck out the barn (as the youngest of the boy cousins he didn't get to drive the tractor often, he was the one with the shovel and rake) during childhood summers.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 3:22 pm

I have to jump in on this one even though it's old. I used to run a riding stable and have shoveled more than my fair share. We gave our manure to mushroom farmers. The stable was in Southern New Jersey and the farmers were in Pennsylvania so if they were willing to come get it they could have it. It actually went fast.
Back to top Go down

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:47 pm

My daughter works for a small barn at her old school. I do know that in Montgomery Cty, MD stables are not allowed to keep the manure in the county and have to pay to have it hauled away. Her barn sells/pays (I think it's a break even deal but am not sure) a company also in PA to come take it. It too probably fertilizes mushrooms since Kennett Square (the mushcroom capital) is so close.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Some things never change. Our farmers were from Kennett Square, too. BTW, I grew up in Montgomery County and started riding in Potomac at the old River Oaks stable. It's a housing development now, of course. I am talking many, many moons ago.
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey, inside outlaw, I grew up in Montgomery County, MD, too, and grew up riding at Meadowbrook! We're former neigh-bors! And I also did some cross-country riding around Potomac!

That was on a pair of horses that belonged to a doctor and his wife. Their daughters grew up and got married and left their horses behind and the parents didn't ride. So my friend and I had all the fun! One day we got lost because there had been so much construction and we were many miles from the stable. We gave one horse his head and he just meandered all over, but the horse who was used to leading got us home safely, although all the construction meant that she had to take a route she had never taken before. So when I have the Kid ask the horses to take him home, I do for sure know it can work. Although how they found a town they had presumably never seen before - well, creative license.
HW
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 am

Small world, isn't it? I had my first horse show at Meadowbrook, but I never got to ride in the park. What are the odds that there'd be three of us from Montgomery County, MD, on this small forum?

I'll never question a horse's ability to take you home, and it doesn't seem like a stretch that they'd find a town. They seem to have an innate sense of where there's water and shelter. I do all my riding now in the mountains and desert near where I live in Colorado. I have a 11 year old paint mare who has been there and done that. My husband and I will sometimes stray way off the trail exploring, and the horses always know right where the trailer's parked. They are more amazing animals than they get credit for!

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
HelenWest

HelenWest

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 am

I'm jealous that you get to live with horses! They are amazing animals. They don't get credit for being just as affectionate and nice as they are. I can see where our boys would get to be fond of their horses, when they could manage to keep the same ones for long.
HW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stable Cleanup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stable Cleanup   Stable Cleanup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stable Cleanup
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Discussion Spot :: Penski's Ponderings :: Just Wondering...-
Jump to: