Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite Story

Go down 
+5
Remuda
Alias Alice
cac
EleanorW
Penski
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Your Favorite Story Empty
PostSubject: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 am

What is your favorite story or challenge that you wrote and why?

If you haven't written a story or challenge, what's your favorite story and why?

EleanorW

EleanorW

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 11:13 am

My favourite story by another author is one called 'Test of Faith' by Red O'Toole.  Not sure if it is still posted anywhere online nowadays. I believe the author did toy with the idea of expanding it and attempting to get it made into a screenplay but I don't think that ever happened. For me the story perfectly highlighted the relationship  between Heyes & Curry and was a very emotional story. I read it about 10 years ago and it left a lasting impact on me.

My favourite of my own stories is 'Retribution' because I wrote it not too long after Pete's death and in writing it I was subconsciously trying to fathom out what could possibly have made someone like him want to end his life and as such it is full of emotional angst that I doubt I could ever recreate this many years down the line.

http://eleanorward.wixsite.com/asjfics
cac

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm not a writer, but I love reading the stories here. I first started reading fanfic last summer when I happened across some of Drena's, and so my favorite is one of hers, "Happy Birthday, Kid Curry." It's cleverly written, grabbed my emotions as a mother, has a good scene between the boys, and I'd never read anything like it, especially connected to the ASJ world I was just re-entering.

My favorite by someone here is the huge "Terms" story by Nell. I like how how true to the characters it was in such different circumstances and that she wrote other stories that connected to the main one. It felt very indulgent to have so many to read, including an alternate ending and several when they are much older. I find myself rereading one every so often.

That said, I've loved many stories here by many authors. I check nearly every day to see if there's a new one on the monthly contest site, and when there's not, I think, People! Get busy! :) Oh, and when a really good story is unfinished, THAT MAKES ME CRAZY. I want to know what happens! You owe your readers!! I would send cookies as a bribe if I knew where to send them!
Back to top Go down
Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 am

Which to choose out of so many brilliant stories?  I suppose we could start by saying you cannot fail to find something really great by Maz. Maybe ' The Reuion' or ' The Storm' or 'Nephrititis' or . . .all of them!  Drena Hills is wonderful too ("Walls for the Wind").  But we're lucky to have so many awesome writers writing marvellous fiction.

Last edited by Alias Alice on Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2016 3:58 pm

My most popular story is probably Cowboys and Indians, followed closely by The Day They Kidnapped Curry. The one I enjoyed writing the most was The Storm. That one pretty much wrote itself. While commuting to and from work, I would envision scenes, going through them until they were perfect, and then write them down. A friend mentioned she had a pet lamb so Annie was added to the story. I enjoyed Curry's interaction with everyone and Heyes going into a deep depression and coming out of it.

I'm a lover of angsty stories so Terms by Nell McKeon and For Those Who Tame Wild Horses by JD Sampson are two of my favorites.

Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Just saw this.  I posted in the challenge anniversary thread that my fave challenge story by me was "Postlude," although these days I'm also liking "The Rifle," "Calling a Bluff," and parts of the ongoing "Hopping Trains."  I have many fave challenge stories by others, but my go-to for a guaranteed laugh is Storm Richards' "Keeping the Faith" (also known as "Who's First").

My fave ASJ story I've written is probably "Jedediah" (though my current favorite is a story I just finished in another fandom; I think we all like the ones we've recently spent time with).  As for stories by others, as with challenges I have many favorites, and naming just one is difficult.  There are so many gifted writers in this fandom!

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 7:06 am

I have so many favorite stories that I almost DON'T want to begin naming them for fear I'll miss someone's.  If I can just say first that I have favorites from each and every one of YOU too, then maybe I'll be safe.  sm  Here goes:

One story that has always stuck with me is The Journals by Sharon Kennison.  study  I don't know if it is still published anywhere on the internet, but maybe Penski knows.

Karen Sumners' "Kate" series is always fun to re-read. cowboyclap
https://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/series.php?seriesid=1071

JoAnn Baker's "Wilde Hearts" series captured me from the start with Best for Everyone.  applause  I felt like she had written exactly what I would have wanted to write, if only I had thought of it first!
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2582018/1/Best-For-Everyone

As for choosing a favorite story of my own, that is difficult.  Each one of them could be my favorite at a given moment in time.  If pressed, I might say the "Regrets" series.
https://gracerwilliams.wordpress.com/regrets-series/

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 3:28 pm

I found the link for The Journals by Sharon Kennison.

http://derbysulzers.com/journalskennison.htm

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Man, Remuda, for a few minutes there I thought you were headed along the lines of Stephen King's Misery with Vinny's determination about who "Jedidiah" was and how insistent she was that he stay! What a sweet story it turned out to be :)

Weren't you the one who wrote the very short story where it was confusing as to who was walking in the saloon at first, Kid or Danny? And then it was Danny. That was well-done.

Grace, you know I love your stories! I love seeing your name pop up on the monthly challenge stories :) And I just read the "Best for Everyone" story, and I can't wait to read the rest.

Great recommendations everyone! I've already read several of the others mentioned, and I'm thrilled to have some new suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words, cac. Yes, I did the Danny challenge. I don't recall anyone's thinking it was Kid, so that's an interesting pov. It's here somewhere in the challenge threads (don't recall offhand which one), but can also be found here -- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11765056/1/Respite

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Well, I tend to think Kid should be the center of every story, so there's that :) But really, up to the "gaudy rig" part, why not? I assumed the scene was from the successful outlaw days. It's somewhat Kid's persona in the pilot and the next episode's bar scenes, all presence and confidence and just enough swagger, just more so.

Had you not intentionally played with it as being either man at first? That's part of what I thought was interesting about it, how the story suggested that Kid could have had Danny's character what with his similar confidence and deadly skill, but of course he chose a different path.
Back to top Go down
Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 12:34 am

Love these kinds of discussions about stories, cac!

It's amusing to me how you thought of Stephen King while reading "Jedediah," especially given I'm not at all a fan of that genre and only a little familiar with "Misery's" plot because of the movie trailer. It's a great example of how each of us sees something totally different than what might have been intended.

As for the other, I started it as Danny, although I see your point about Kid. Like many others, I'm fascinated by "Smiler," and this one was my second inspiration from it. I hated the ending, so the first, my fave challenge story, "Postlude," is a missing scene from the end, and Kid's reaction to that episode's events.

Again, thanks for the kind remarks and for reading.

FrankieASJ

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Can I play?! Very Happy

Fave story of my own is probably 'Watching'. I felt immersed in the writing of those opening scenes and it seemed to flow. Not the best written but it spurred me on to write more. writing

How can I possibly chose from all the great stories out there? scratch
I have similar taste to Grace as I too really enjoyed the Kate series and Terms. Also 'Test of Faith' is another one that stuck with me. There are one or two of Grace's I loved too! sm
Maz is always good value! thumbsup

I'm enjoying AKeay's ongoing saga too.

I'd forgotten about the 'Wild Horses' one which was one of the first I read. Time for a re-read possibly. reading

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 8:24 am

I am still fairly a beginner at all this, with only 40 stories under my belt. Some of them struct a nerve and I really enjoyed writing them. Such as the ghost in the storm cellar, Heyes being left behind on his own choice, Kid and his horse reckon down the hillside...Long with the scenes I've enjoyed creating, it's when the perfect dialogue flows out that gives you a thrill. But of all my stories, I have to say that lady fate is my favorite because it was the first I was brave enough to share

rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 2:05 pm

Favourite story of my own? Hmm, I like After Amnesty, as its probably my only attempt to write them several years post series and gives them spouses and children. But its a bit like asking me which is my favourite niece. Lol.

As to a favourite I've read, there are so many I like for different reasons, so I don't have a favourite favourite. Depends on my mood. I do tend to prefer stories which have angst and a happy ending, but well written humour can be fun too. I do like Ghosts by KimL55, Deadalive by Rae1013, Matter of Honour by Maz McCoy'. Learning Curve and The Mustache that wouldn't quit by Jojo. The slash story by Hardboiledbaby Absence of Fear. There are many others. Lol.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite Story   Your Favorite Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite Story
Page 1 of 1