Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just Wondering...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:18 am

Here's a place if you ever wondered something that is prevalent to Alias Smith and Jones - like the Cost of Living in the 1880's or where they filmed certain scenes.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Horse Terminology   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Since there are several members with expertise in horse matters, I was wondering...

What is the difference, if any, in the terms tacking up and saddling a horse? Just recently, I've come across tacking up in two different stories and don't recall seeing that before but in both cases it was used by writers with riding experience.

Would Heyes and Curry have used those terms or something else? Are there other phrases they would commonly have used to describe getting their horses ready to ride or when they took them to the livery for the night/a rest?

Thanks!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Tacking up.   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Ghis;

Yes, tacking up refers to saddling a horse, and it may even refer to putting a harness on as well. In other words, just getting the horse ready to use. I do believe it was used in the 1800's and is certainly a common enough term with 'horsey' people today.
Back to top Go down

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: part two   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Ghis; Just read the other part of your question. I don't think there's any odd terms referring to getting a horse settled for the night. Usually just 'bedded down' or 'stabled' of course 'un-tacked' is common as well. Off hand I can't think of anything else that would be relevant. Maybe InsideOutlaw has a few others that aren't coming to mind for me. (Just met BF for lunch and had some wine, so.....)
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Okay, first my disclaimer is that I just came back from a birthday party that involved margaritas. That said, I agree with Keays that the only terms that come to mind are 'stabling up or bedding down'. When you put a horse out in a corral it would be called 'turning out.'

Tacking up is used because saddlery is also known as tack so saddling up is the same thing. I tend to use these terms because they are familiar to me.

Now, if Keays and I just knew the term for drinking while riding......
Back to top Go down

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Hmmmm...riding while intoxicated. Thank goodness there's a horn!

Arn't horses supposed to know their way home? I was lost up on a mountain once and my horse kept insisting on going back to the same meadow so he could graze! So much for the homing instinct!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm

I think that was simple conflict of interest.
Back to top Go down

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Ya' think? As I recall I had also lost my glasses because a branch had snatched them off my face and sent them flying into the trees! I was blind and my horse knew it!! I have since learned to strap my glasses to my head!! I think I have gotten off topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just Wondering... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Wondering...   Just Wondering... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just Wondering...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Discussion Spot :: Penski's Ponderings :: Just Wondering...-
Jump to: