Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Separating or Splitting Up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Separating or Splitting Up Empty
PostSubject: Separating or Splitting Up   Separating or Splitting Up Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 am

What would it take for Heyes and the Kid to decide to part and go their own ways?

===========================

From Eleanor:

Hmm, that's a tough one. In fics, I've had them part over a woman, betrayal and arguments about the amnesty,
but thats just to further the storyline. Thinking about the series, I can't come up with a situation, off the top of my head, that would have made them go their separate ways.

From Ghislaine:

I think one of them would've lost his temper and said something intemperate. The other one would've taken
offense or gotten mad and said something cutting in return, which would have escalated the argument. Eventually, one of them would say let's split up and in their anger, not thinking clearly, the other would agree. Then, both would be too stubborn to back down. And so, they separate.

However, I think such a scenario would only occur when they were young(er), before they went for amnesty. While they were trying for pardons, I think that, although they'd occasionally lose their tempers and say things they'd later regret, they were mature enough to realize that splitting up in anger wouldn't do them any good and one of them, Heyes probably, would back off from the idea and try to get Kid to see reason.

OTOH, if they both agreed that separating would enhance and expedite their chances for amnesty--because it'd be
harder for them to be recognized and it'd be easier for them to get work individually--then I think by mutual agreement they would do so.

From Kwiltn

I actually have thought of this as a premise for a story. I think that their ties are so long and so deep, it would take something very, very serious to make them split. Some serious type of betrayal -- like say if Heyes knew all these years of a relative that had tried to contact them back in Valparaiso (I think I read a fanfic story where Heyes intercepted letters at the Home that were meant for Kid). Or some other such life-changing secret.

As much as I hate to think that a woman could come between them, I know from personal experience that love can make people do lots of things they've never thought possible. So, yes, I think that say, for instance, Heyes fell in love with someone Kid didn't like and wouldn't accept, he'd eventually tell Kid to take a hike or get over it.

WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Separating or Splitting Up   Separating or Splitting Up Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Change is one of the few constants in life and as a human we are forever changing and evolving. These changes lead us down differentvroads varying or ethics and morals.
We are shown a prime example of this as Heyes and Curry strive to not only try to be law abiding but actually become so... They are basically becoming a new person.
Some situations almost force a person to change....love, death, health, marriage, career advancement for a few.
What if one of them changed all of a sudden, the change might be too severe for one or the other to deal with and they might end up going their Own way to adapt.

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Separating or Splitting Up   Separating or Splitting Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 6:05 am

Anything is possible, when it comes to the idea of Heyes and Curry splitting up. Wichita Red is very wise; people change, and not everyone around them can handle the changes.

I've seen a couple stories out there that show them splitting up. Fortitudine did one in which the boys got amnesty, but found their reputations in the West caused them a lot of problems. Heyes wanted to move to the east, and he did, but he couldn't convince Curry to go with him. Heyes ended up a rich and successful politician in Chicago (as a Chicagoan, I can tell you, crooks do very well here), and Curry ended up joining the military and eventually dying on the Lusitania.

Lately I've been thinking about a comment I saw, where the writer referred to the tense relationship that developed between Heyes and Curry in the Roger Davis episodes. She said it was logical that the stress of chasing the amnesty for years, while living hand-to-mouth, would cause a strain on their relationship. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Reasons why they might separate:

1) Physical safety: One thinks he poses a danger to the other, and believes separation will be better for his partner.

2) The amnesty: as Curry says in The McCreedy Bust, he thinks Heyes has a better chance at getting amnesty than he does. Selflessness in this case.

3) A relationship: One of the boys finds love, and wants to make a go of it with the woman. The other partner realizes it, and leaves.

4) A stupid argument: underlying tension leads to a blow-up, and one, or both, boys stalk off in opposite directions. They can't or don't find the other afterwards.

5) They want different, mutually exclusive goals.

6) lack of the amnesty: one decides to stay straight, no matter what, and the other says, the heck with it. I am getting back into the con game. Remember, in the first Clementine episode, the boys are waiting for the train, and they say, hey, if this amnesty doesn't work out, we can always go into the con game business. And neither one says, heaven forfend! We are honest men now!

7) Opportunity. In Helen West's series, Heyes gets the opportunity to study in New York and he grabs it. The men are still best friends, but they move on to very different lives. The days of travelling together are over. In this case, they haven't severed their relationship, but it has changed dramatically.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with the stupid argument separating them, and then a whole variety of circumstances could prevent their reuniting.

Anyway, I think that anything is possible in human relationships, and that fanfic writers can take these characters into widely different situations, while making it all plausible.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
FrankieASJ

FrankieASJ

PostSubject: Re: Separating or Splitting Up   Separating or Splitting Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:41 am

Haven't got time to answer this fully at the moment but the first thing that sprang to mind is 'why do people get divorced?' It's been said their relationship is like a couple who compliment each other - and I'm not talking slash here! Shocked 

As has been said, people change and there could be any number of reasons why they separate. I know I'm not really in touch with my best friends from school - I've made new friends as my ideas and circumstances have changed so feel Kid and Heyes would be no different. No 

Let me think some more and I'll hopefully be back .... scratch  Very Happy 

PostSubject: Re: Separating or Splitting Up   Separating or Splitting Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Separating or Splitting Up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Discussion Spot :: Banterings-
Jump to: