Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15

Go down 
+17
BeeJay
sistergrace
mouse4ever
Kid4ever
ty pender
Penski
RosieAnnie
Maz
Calico
FrankieASJ
InsideOutlaw
LittleBluestem
joannb
AllegraW
Ghislaine Emrys
WichitaRed
Fortitudine
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
sistergrace

sistergrace

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 7:24 am

Alias Alice - Your use of contrasts is very nice, shortest to longest, darkness to light, cold and bleak to warmth and sunshine, and especially from despair to joy! Well done!

Maz - The sorrow in your challenge feels so tender. Beautifully understated. No matter which of the partners has been lost and which one remains, the grieving is expressed so well. Especially in the line "this time, he was on his own."

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 1:30 pm

You warned me, Maz, and stil... (there's no sobbing smilie!?)
What a sad but well-written challenge. That definitely would seem like a very long day!

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am

1) Alias Alice

LOVING the simile ‘as legal as bank managers’ – though given what we all know of bankers, hem hem. Rolling Eyes
Awww – the longest day and the first day of the rest of their lives.
Touching Alice.
And I love them crossing the street toward champagne and the future – great wind up line.

2) Maz

Oh, Maz. Both so clever AND touching.
Which one is gone – which one is left alone?
At least we can infer from the wrinkles in the mirror they had a good long spell – AND from the crumpled telegram (?) that the amnesty did come through at some point.
Sniff.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Missyblu - Where in the heck have you been?  So glad you came out to play with the boys again.  sm
What a good challenge!  I really liked Bart and Millie - some decent loving folks.  A hard day of work from sunrise to sunset sure can seem like a long day.  Being hurt and waiting for help seems like even a longer day.

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 am

3) MissyBlue

Of course you’re always broke and looking for work boys, that’s what drives the plots!! Smile.
Loving the one beer and two glasses.
I am really liking Bart and Millie – just have an uneasy feeling something bad is about to happen. ‘Cos – that what drives the plots!
Missy – are you channelling Mizz Maz? ‘Cos someone just pushed Kid off a cliff.
OR – was that a Maz set trap to catch herself an ex-outlaw. She dug a hole and laid leaves over top??
Nice hook, Missy. So – what complications stop them hauling Kid out huh?

4) Penski

Flamin’ wire dodgers!! Rolls eyes.
They serve british beer in old Mexico, huh? Nice and warm.
So – not a bust.
Long and thinnish. Is it a chisel to carve a new bust?
Oooh – is the complaining about the drought done with feeling, Penski?
I hear the hammering of a hundred feet as Kid asks for a cute gal to wash his back.
Is this entire story about the boys being wetted down, P. ‘Cos if it is – you sure are giving the audience what they like!
Adoring HH claiming “…I look more charming and more innocent.”
HH got shot!!! Nooooo. Still, it was his turn – Kid fell in a hole.
And now we’re stripping HH and wetting him down – damping him down here, oooh – I missed a bit.
And all for a bottle of Brandy – dear old Big Mac, we do lurve him.

5) Ty Pender

It won’t be Clem who sold you out, boys. Never.
Hey, Ty – I don’t think I’ve ever seen Birdie Pickett brought back in a story before.
And Sherriff Clitterhouse…
Hey.
You’re yanking our chains aren’t ya?
So, we’re in Groundhog day.
Can we have Ned the insurance salesman – I LURVE that scene.
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Alice...I forgot to say bravo on the story...cos you was first and I forgot you!! grouphug
And you gave them amnesty....awww

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Ty - That story really went with the theme of longest day. I sure wouldn't want to repeat that day or any day over and over. Loved seeing Birdie and Clitterhouse. How sad that the boys hightailed it outta town too soon. thumbsup

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 9:20 am

Longest Day -

Maz) We all know how very funny you can be. Now we find out that you are just as good at writing sad and touching situations too.

Missyblu) Very much enjoyed this tale. It seemed very realistic. I liked its description of life on the ranch.

Penski) This was so good. I felt unbearably hot just reading it. Shocked that Heyes could be shot just for a bottle of brandy - and Mcreedy was more concerned about the brandy than about Heyes.

Heyes more charming? Oh, it's a joke!

Ty) Enjoyed the strange weirdness of this!

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

missyblu - It's very nice to see you back and writing again!  Rounding cattle was, I'm sure, hard work requiring long, long days.  But this particular day was indeed the longest for the Kid!

Penski - Your challenge this month could be a complete episode all on its own.  
Caliente - love it
Cute gal to wash Kid's back?  Sheesh!  Who the heck would wanna do that?!
Kid Curry, guns ablazin'...Ah, I see.  One of your favorite Curry moments from the series re-written into your own mini-episode.  Well done, Penski!

ty pender - Birdie Pickett!  That sweet, sweet lady.  This story is like...deja vu all over again. Wait!  Did you hear that?  I could have sworn I heard Sonny and Cher.  Great challenge, Ty!  I believe this is my NEW favorite story of yours.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 9:27 am

Alias Alice: I loved how you started this out painting such a dreary sad picture. I really thought the amnesty was going to be a dream sequence and they would be back in the damp cave at the end, but no, the boys got their amnesty and I got a smile.

Maz: What a sad, pensive portrait of loss. Very effective and understated.

MissyBlu: Glad you're posting again! You've painted a nice portrait of ranch life and the solid kindness of Bart and his wife. Yes, falling down a mine shaft would definitely make for a very long day. Loved the one beer and two glasses line!

Penski: Was it muy caliante as you wrote this? I could almost feel the sweat begin to bead on my brow. This was a very vivid read and I could easily visualize the Kid busting into the bank with both guns blazing. Big Mac was true to character--his concern was for his brandy not Heyes' wound. Nicely done.

Ty Pender: LOL! Groundhog's Day for two. Too bad it wasn't all a dream. Nice twisty story.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 am

Alias Alice: Yay! Amnesty at last! The mood you set on the shortest day was definitely dark and dreary. I'd be depressed, too!

Maz: Yes, grief makes any day a long day. Hugs.

Missy Blu: Even though Kid's day was long, this was a nice interlude for the boys. Wouldn't it be great for them to have enjoyed such a job, at such a good place, for a long while? Very nice of you to give them a break from all the stress and running.

Penski: Every day with that kind of heat, no relief, and not even water for bathing -- those are all really long days! You certainly convey the discomfort they felt, and the reality of living in Texas at that time, vividly. Curry showed how to take bold action, given proper motivation.

Ty Pender: The longest day is the one you have to live, over and over. Shades of "Groundhog Day!" But how do the escape it? Or do they?

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Calico - What a fun and wonderful nonsense story! You had me Laughing Have really missed your writing for a challenge.

Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Calico...I laughed, I scowled, I glared at the boys.
And yes it's FOOTBALL! Not soccer. But try telling that to those American folk..sheesh! soccer

ty pender

PostSubject: soccer or football?   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm

I am a fan of association football, not gridiron football. To my mind it is, intuitively, a much more interesting game.  With that as a preface, Brits - please comment on this:

When Did We Start Calling ‘Football’ ‘Soccer’?

"Soccer" isn't an Americanism at all—it's a British word

By  Colin Schultz  

The 2014 Brazil World Cup, likely to be the "most watched sporting event ever," is currently taking the world by storm. Though soccer has long been the world's favorite sport, its popularity has been surging in America over the past few decades, particularly among big-city literati, says the New York Times. These new fans often eschew the word "soccer" as a crass Americanism and adopt the name "football" for their new favorite sport.

This, argues the Wall Street Journal's Jonathan Clegg, who grew up "as a soccer fan in England," is nothing but an elaborate affectation:

I don't begrudge fans here who have only recently awakened to the charms of what the rest of the world has long known as the beautiful game. Welcome to the party!

The problem is your soccer obsessives. … They refer to the sport as "fútbol," hold long conversations about the finer points of the 4-4-2 formation and proudly drape team scarves around their necks even when the temperature outside is touching 90 degrees.

Clegg would prefer that American fans stick to the tried-and-true American name for the game—"soccer." There's only one problem with that argument: according to Uri Friedman writing for the Atlantic, the word “soccer” is no less British than the word "football."

Brits coined the term soccer in the late 1800s to refer to Association Football, the sport we now know as soccer/football. "Soccer" was picked as a way to differentiate from another kind of football—Rugby Football. For a similar reason, "soccer" became the favored term in America, a way to differentiate against Gridiron Football.

For years both "soccer" and "football" were used interchangeably in England—football was the favored term, though "soccer" picked up use after World War II.

In the end, British fans gravitated to the term "football" for the same reason Clegg is now dissuading new fan from donning scarves and saying "pitch" instead of "field"—they wanted to distinguish themselves from Americans. As the sport picked up popularity in the States in the 1980s, says Friedman, there was a backlash in England, and "soccer" dropped out of use."

smithsonian.com
June 16, 2014

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/when-did-we-start-calling-football-soccer-180951751/?no-ist

and comment on this as well; from the Wikipedia

"The rules of association football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association".[42]"

here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football#Etymology_and_names

Note that if you search Wikipedia for 'soccer' you are redirected to 'association football'

Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Alice: Such young boys. Sniff. Let me get my hands on that orphanage man. Hit my Kid would he!! Grrr.
Sweet story.

And to all you June challenge writers who snuck under the fence just as the drawbridge was being pulled up..Sheesh! Did you have to write such good stories so close to the wire? Could you maybe post them mid-month so I get the chance to read them before I need to vote?

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Interesting items on soccer Ty but if you don't mind I will still blame the Americans? It's so much easier that way. lol2

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Another cute Maz story with great dialog!

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 am

Maz)  Loved your latest story! A return to your extremely funny type of story.  Hilarious dialogue!  You seem able to write the boys exactly as they are!

Thanks for your nice comment on my entry.  But there is one thing we need to clear up.  You seem to be under the impression that the Blond One is YOURS.  I think you ought to know that actually he is MINE!  Glad we've got that straightened out.

Otherwise - Great Story from you!  I look forward to your next!
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 3:30 pm

“What’s wrong?” Heyes asked as he looked across at his partner.
Kid Curry was frowning as he looked at Maz’s laptop. “I got a problem.”
Heyes chuckled. “You only just realised that?” He returned his attention to the book he was reading.
Kid shot him a look. “This is serious, Heyes.”
Hannibal Heyes put down the book, stood up, stretched his back and wandered over to the laptop. He looked at the screen over his partner’s shoulder. “Hmmm.”
“You see what I mean?”
“I see Maz wrote another challenge story. Stars and Stripes. Good title.”
“Not that!”
“Then what?”
Kid placed his hand over the thing Maz called a mouse and made the image on the screen change. He pointed to the screen. “That.”
Heyes leaned closer and read. “Ah.”
“Now do you see what I mean?”
“Yeah.”
“Alice thinks I’m hers.”
“It seems she does.”
“But everyone knows I’m Maz’s. One hundred percent Maz’s.”
“Yeah and if you’re not she’ll hurt you, big time.”
“Yep. Bullets, arrows, Elizabeth Darkly. Maz loves me, always has always will. I am at the heart of every story she writes. Alice doesn’t realise that I can’t leave here. I belong to Maz. She has my heart.”
“If you try and leave she’ll have your heart, kidneys and liver shot full of arrows too.”
“So what do I do, Heyes?”
“You’ve got to let Alice down gently. Be your usual charming self.”
Kid turned to his partner and smiled. “I can do that.”
Heyes placed a hand on Kid’s shoulder. “I know you can, Kid. Be gentle with her.”
“I will, Heyes, Alice deserves that.”

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Laughing

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 2:57 am

Buzzzzzz!!!!

Maz's digital alarm woke her as always at 7:30 am, and, as always, she silenced it by hurling it against the wall.  It had awoken her from a delightful dream she was having about Kid telling Heyes that he was hers, hers, hers, rather than Alice's.  In the dream, Kid was about to let Alice down gently.  Now Maz was face-to-face with reality.

And reality is, of course, that Alice has the face, figure and charm of Marilyn Monroe, the writing skills of W. Shakespeare, (as you'll all have realised), and is a multi-millionairess, having won the lottery several times over.  (You're not the only one who can dream, Maz).  But, as you see, the Blond One can only find such a combination absolutely irresistible.  Maz is certainly lovely and charming enough to captivate KC if only Alice weren't around.  But she is . . .

So, Maz, I think you'd better face facts, and then we can be the best of friends.  After all, we don't want to settle it by facing each other down in a gun-fight, now do we?

Love,
Alice
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 5:33 am

lol2

draw   Think I'll step off the street and onto the boardwalk where it's safer!  draw

ty pender

ty pender

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 8:39 am

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Nuns_d10

Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Ty...Nuns! Nuns in a duel! Sheesh, that must be Elizabeth Darkly.

And Alice...I will deal with you all in good time...MUHAHA! draw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 4:09 am

Nuns,Ty????

Think Maz must be right - ED is on the loose again.

By the way, Maz, I've been thinking. The gals would miss your stories if, I mean when, I win the shoot-out. So would I miss them. So would the Boys. Also, it was Kid who taught me the quick draw, so you wouldn't have a lot of chance. So - shall we call off the shoot-out? After all, I can understand anyone having a crush on KC (or the one with the dimples, come to that).

What do you say? Call it quits for now?

x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15   Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15 - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments... from 13th June 14 to... 1st Nov 15
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alias Smith and Jones Writers  :: The Writing Spot :: The Story Challenge :: Awestruck Comments-
Jump to: