Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cousins or Friends?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Cousins or Friends? Empty
PostSubject: Cousins or Friends?   Cousins or Friends? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 am

Cousins or Friends?

Seems like Roy Huggins couldn't decide...do you like to think of Heyes and the Kid as cousins or friends? Why? And if they're friends, when do you like to think they met? On the farm or the orphanage or later when becoming outlaws?

=============================

From Ghislaine:

I don't know what I thought when I was a kid but since my rediscovery of ASJ, I've always thought of Heyes and Kid as cousins. Jo and Sandy's book says Roy Huggins always thought they were cousins, and that's good enough for me! And since the opening narration says they were (after a while) and there's a few references in some episodes indicating they were related, that reinforces it for me. Why Roy H might have changed his mind later, I have no idea and prefer to discount that thought process.

From Penski:

I like to think of them as cousins and sharing relatives, especially a Grandpa Curry. Blood is thicker than water and there are times when I feel they stay together, put up with each other, because they are kin. Friends come and go, but you always have your family.

From Penski:

Hmmm...
I haven't seen many Roger as Heyes episodes since I only have season 1 on DVD and watch the rest of the episodes if they are available online. When I watch Pete as Heyes, I definitely feel like they are cousins, BUT when I watch Roger as Heyes, I kinda feel like maybe they are friends (or people who are just together for the common goal of getting an amnesty). Anyone else feel the same?

From Talma:

I haven't watched any Roger episodes,as I've just never been able to. I know I've missed out on a lot of the Kid because of that, but it means all my opinions are based on the Pete & Ben episodes, and I do feel they're cousins. In an ideal world blood is thicker than water and the boys feel like an example of that, and it's an extra element to them staying together when in many ways it would have been safer if they'd split up and each lived quietly somewhere (if that was possible). Them always being together makes it much easier to make the connection with the gang leaders and their descriptions (such as they are). It always amazes me that from the vague details on the wanted posters that fit thousands of people they always seem to be identified easily.
Mind you as separately they always seem to be able to get into trouble they probably did make the right decision, and if they are the only ones left from their family it makes sense.

From Frankie:

I never think of them as cousins! They are good friends who have stuck together due to what they have been through together - the raids, the home and robbing. They realise they make a great team which is why they stay together and out of habit, I suspect! Blood may be thicker than water but I like the saying, 'You can choose your friends but not your family'!
I feel the friendship more in the Pete episodes but have no idea why they'd stick together when Roger is Heyes - so possibly they are cousins then and stay together out of obligation, 'cos there are times they really don't seem to like each other!

From Eleanor:

I've only watched one of Roger's episodes also, but, as anyone who reads my fics will know, I'm firmly in the "friends" camp. In my ASJ universe, I see them as having known each other since childhood, either from having lived on neighbouring farms, or else from their schooldays, and then stuck together after their families were killed. As the saying goes "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives." To me, it means more that they would stay together because they like each other rather than being obligated to because they are related.

From nm131:

I have watched all the episodes (some third season shows are very well written and acted but I have to confess I tend to imagine what they would be like with Pete) and can understand why some choose not to watch the Roger episodes. Ironically or maybe not as per many discussions on the way Ben/Pete and Ben/Roger related on screen the cousin argument works best with Pete although Ben and Roger share similar coloring. I do like the idea of them being cousins with a shared Grandpa Curry. Being related doesn't necessarily dictate a close relationship, the main requirement is a shared history. I don't object to them being close friends as long as they met in childhood. The backstory that works best for me is that they are cousins (but I accept the friend view) raised on neighboring farms. Families killed (around 12/10), went to Valpariso together, ran away (around 15/13), slit up in their late teens and reunitied in early 20's. Heyes (Pete) and Curry actually seem to act more like older/younger brothers than anything else to me and I don't think that close of relationship or the sibling-type dynamic would develop if they met as late teens or adults. If they had met as late teens or adults they would probably split up since as Talma has pointed out the likelihood of being recognized from the vague descriptions is much less separetely (especially Heyes's brown eyes, brown hair medium build and features, no mention of adorable dimple or devilish grin- fits more than a few thousand men running around the old west) than it would be together.

From Sister Grace:

I stand firmly in the "cousins" camp! There is one episode where Curry refers to "Our sage old Grandpa Curry" and another where he reminds Heyes that "Our Grandfather was Irish".

This idea could be more appealing to me since, during the 1971-1973 phase of my love affair with ASJ, my best friend was also my cousin. I was able to relate to that special bond easily.

Having said that, I have no objection to reading fanfic that portrays them as good friends.

From Remuda:

Although I can accept either the "best friends" or "cousins" label separately, I like them best as cousins who are best friends. With that scenario, I think the "touchy-feely" relationship they have comes through better, almost as brothers. I see them as first cousins, with Heyes' mom the sister of Kid's father, and therefore the shared Grandpa Curry. Any other reference to a grandparent I attribute to the non-shared side.

Regarding the inconsistent relationship in the eps, although the "cousins" angle didn't really take off until Roger's appearances, there are at least one or two eps with Pete where they're referred to as cousins. Guess I'll have to make note of some of these references next I watch.

From Eleanor:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Remuda

Regarding the inconsistent relationship in the eps, although the "cousins" angle didn't really take off until Roger's appearances, there are at least one or two eps with Pete where they're referred to as cousins. Guess I'll have to make note of some of these references next I watch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The times when they spoke to people about being "cousins" (in Pete's eps)always seemed, to me at least, to be when they were spinning some yarn to try and get out of trouble, so I just assumed they were trying to be as inaccurate as possible, in what they were saying, to make it hard for people to actually trace their real backgrounds. But Pete's Heyes also referred to "my friend and I" just as often.

From CarolineMcK

I am in the cousins camp. I know that some friendships can and do endure the worst that life has to offer, but when all is said and done, family is what counts when the chips are down.

Who else but family would risk so much for little or no reward? Blood is better than the glue of most friendships.

Cousins or Friends? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cousins or Friends?   Cousins or Friends? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 5:16 pm

I always thought of them as cousins,to me it makes sense for them to be,it feels right ya know? 🌈
Back to top Go down

Cousins or Friends?
Page 1 of 1