Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snow and freezing temperatures.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Alias Alice

Snow and freezing temperatures. Empty
PostSubject: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 am

I hope the atrocious weather you've been having in the USA has gone/will go very soon. . .
The news coverage here (the other side of The Pond, that is) makes it look totally dreadful.
Stay in, keep warm and think about outlaws!
Hope you're all OK.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 am

I'm getting similar news reports about the UK being flooded - hope everyone there managed to keep their feet dry!
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks for thinking of us, Alias Alice! It's cold here, but it's nothing out of the ordinary for Colorado. I think some of our members in the Midwest and Northeast are having a rough time, though.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Would you believe that while rest of the country was freezing it was almost 70° in Kansas today?

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Snow and freezing temperatures   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 am

I think most of us will feel like hurrying straight to Kansas, in that case, Witchita Red! (And wondering why the boys ever left the place!)

Glad there is no real problem in Colorado, Inside Outlaw.

There's no real problem here in the north of England, either, RadioGaga, no flooding. Yet. Touch Wood. But they seem to be having a rough time with floods down south, again. - Dry feet? Sometimes I think that what all of us over here need is actually webbed feet. Maybe we'll evolve that way . . .

All the best to every one suffering from awful weather at the moment. How long is it until summer?
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 am

I read of the snow and hear of the weather on the news and I feel dreadfully sorry for those in other parts of my nation. However I sure do wish we had got more about moisture. For here in Kansas we may be warm but unfortunately were not raising our water table level very much and there's a reason why Lewis and Clark called Kansas the Great American desert along with most of the rest of the Midwest. To answer alias Alice's question the reason the boys left Kansas is because when the winter is here we have to driving wind that makes you feel like dying no matter what the temp And Summer We Have the Same Wind but It's Broiling You Because It's so Hot Here with the Humidity and the Sun You Just Want to Escape. On the other hand we do have really pretty falls

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Snow and freezing temperatures   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 9:11 am

When I read your first post, Witchita Red, It occurred to me that I don't really know very much about Kansas. So I looked up 'Kansas' on Wikipedia. Just about the first thing it said was that the name Kansas came from an Indian word meaning 'people of the wind'.

I thought how nice that sounded. It wasn't until your second post arrived that I realised what kind of wind it was!

I really didn't realise that Kansas was such a windy state. I thought it was Oklahoma that was windy a lot of the time.

Next I think I'd better look up Colorado!
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am

Both Kansas and Oklahoma and Nebraska are all rather windy states. I never lived in Nebraska so I can't say much about it. However Kansas it seems that wind never stops sometimes. A common joke that we laugh about around here is, when the weather Channel is talking about hurricane gust winds coming in at 20 to 30 miles an hour off Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico. We all laughed around here because quite honestly 20 to 45 mile an hour winds can be a typical day here in Kansas. When we say it's breezy we meanswe have 15 mile an hour winds going that day. I found living in Oklahoma quite windy too just not as much. What was unique about Oklahoma was how quickly it's weather changed. Growin up in Kansas, I always heard if you don't like the weather wait an hour. Which seems to pretty true some days. In Oklahoma it often felt like if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes. They have the most crazy, chaotic, on weather patterns I have ever lived in. Biographies that I have Fred speak of people going crazy in Kansas because of the wind. Imagine living in an open prairie all tallgrass no trees and the constant wind howling around your home. They say cabin fever was a totally different experience in Kansas because the howling wind would actually push people over the edge. Today the wind is howling, I've heard several limbs fall in the yard and the leaves run rushing across the yard by the end of the day I'll be so tired of hearing the wind that when it finally settles maybe after dark it'll be a blessing. And that is with the heater running music on and everything else in the house I think it would be terrible to listen to this wind all day long with nothing else to interrupt your thoughts.

Alias Alice

PostSubject: Snow and freezing temperatures   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 am

I really did not realise how truly awful the Kansas weather could be. The perpetual noise and effects of the wind sound as if they must be very hard to bear sometimes. It makes you wonder how on earth the early settlers coped. As you say, some of them didn't.

I hope that the weather/wind you're experiencing today improves soon.

By the way, I looked up Lewis and Clark too, who you mentioned in one of your posts. Part way through reading the account of them, (Wikipedia again), I realised that I have heard of them. But I found it very interesting to read about their journey again.

It seems one thing that Kansas and Oklahoma and England have in common as regards weather is how it can vary from one type of weather to another in one single day. In the south of France, (easy to visit from England), the weather is flawless sunshine for day after glorious day! Jealous? I am!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow and freezing temperatures.   Snow and freezing temperatures. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow and freezing temperatures.
Page 1 of 1