Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chat Schedule 2014

Go down 
+4
Calico
BeeJay
RosieAnnie
Penski
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Here's the chat schedule for 2014.  As in the past, please let Penski know your story choice by PM or posting in this forum two weeks before your scheduled date. I will do my best to remind you beforehand. Selected stories for discussion can be one of yours or another author's in this forum, and must be for general audiences and rated PG-13.

On holiday weekends, there will be informal chats.  We can discuss Bantering questions or help brainstorm for a writer having problems with a story plot.

If I accidentally did not schedule you, please let me know so I can add you to the list.  If you are on the list and would prefer not to be on it, please let me know so I can remove your name.

January 5 – Penski - Into the West Came Many Men
http://asjfanfiction.wikifoundry.com/page/Into+the+West+Came+Many+Men

January 12 – Keays - Tradition (December 2013 challenge)
https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t543-dec-13-tradition (4th story down - about 1/3 down)

January 19 – Inside Outlaw - Defensive Position (September 2012 challenge)
https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t193-sept-12-defensive-position (6th story down - not quite half way)

January 26 – Frankie - Watching
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10001714/1/Watching  or find it here:  Watching

February 2 – Due to Super Bowl, we'll be having a topic to discuss
The Romantic Interest - Some of the fanfic love interest.  Including why isn't it somebody of a more mature age?

February 9– Ghislaine - Cards on the Table (September 2013 challenge)
https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t462-sept-2013-cards-on-the-table (3rd story down)

February 16 – NO story chat due to President’s Day (USA)

February 23 – ASJ Food Discussion (only three of us discussed it and had a great time with it - worth repeating)

• Eating scenes in the series - What ARE they eating in Apache Springs?
    Eating Habits, and manners
    Pie
    Where did Heyes' bad coffee originate
    This class includes a brief discussion of Chocolate and Wine
    Dark vs. Milk vs. White Chocolate
    Do filled chocolates actually improve the thought process? Which increases the word count more: nuts or chews?
    Red vs. White
    How to utilize these to produce exceptional plots, dialog, etc.
    Reviewing spelling and grammar the next day.
    Included will be a mini course on beer, with information on the proper methodology for the removal of apple trees, utilizing a man and a truck, by Penski.

March 2 –  Wichita Red - Leave One Behind
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9183630/1/Leave-One-Behind

March 9 – StormR - Two challenges - Dark and Stormy and Who's on First - found at http://asjbuckshot.forumotion.com/f37-challenges.

March 16 – Are Heyes and Curry cousins?  Are they not related?
It seems even Roy Huggins wrestled with this question... What do you think?

March 23 – Victoria Quynn - two short challenges -- "Memories Are Forever" and "Postlude." Links for both below.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9628218/1/Memories-Are-Forever
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9649143/1/Postlude

March 30 – The Oldest Profession
Its significance in the West. How it is presented in television and in our fiction.

April 6 – Hanna Heyes - New Kid on the Trail
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7907739/1/New-Kid-on-the-Trail

April 13 – BeeJay    By Hook or By Crook

April 20 – NO story chat due to Easter (UK & USA)

April 27 – JoAnn Baker - The Bad Samaritans
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5483409/1/The-Bad-Samaritans

May 4 – NO story chat due to May Day Bank Holiday (UK)

May 11 – NO story chat due to Mother’s Day (USA)

May 18 - Cornelia May - Calico's Strangeness on a Train
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4949251/1/Strangeness-on-a-Train

May 25 - NO story chat due to Memorial’s Day (USA)

June 1 - Maz McCoy - The Canoe
http://mazmccoystories.wordpress.com/the-canoe/

June 8 – Calico - Discussion on Bounty Hunters
Are they much more villainous in fanfic than in canon?  What about real life bounty hunters?

June 15 – In honor of USA's Father's Day...
What were Heyes' and the Kid's fathers like?
Could they be fathers and not know it?
What kind of fathers would they be if they could raise kids?
Which one can you see as a father?  
Which one can't you see as a father?
Any other things you'd like to discuss involving HH/KC/and fathers

June 22 – Rosie Annie

June 29 – Kid4Ever - Nun the Wiser by moonshadow
http://asjbuckshot.forumotion.com/t271-nun-the-wiser#642

July 6 - NO story chat due to Independence Day (USA)

July 13 – NO story chat due to traveling home from ASJ Get-Together

July 20 – Sister Grace - Wrong Train to Porterville
http://gracerwilliams.wordpress.com/individual-stories/wrong-train-to-porterville/

July 27 – Eleanor Ward - Force of Will
https://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=54801

August 3 – Episodes... What's your favorites and why?  What's your least favorites and why?

August 10 – Devil's Hole... What do you think it looks like?  Can you see it being like the episode Return to Devil's Hole?

August 17 – Heyes' and the Kid's clothes...
What color shirts look best on them?  
What colors aren't your favorite on them?
Henleys and long johns
Tucking in your pant legs vs pant legs outside of boots
The famous suits
The "pirate" shirt... argh...
The many jackets
Did Heyes not wear his hat as many times as he did?
Kid's 1st season hat vs. 2nd season hat

August 24 – NO story chat due to Summer Bank Holiday (UK)

August 31 – NO story chat due to Labor Day (USA)

September 7 – The McCreedy Bust

September 14 – Exit from Wickenburg

September 21 – Wrong Train to Brimstone

September 28 – The Girl in Boxcar #3

October 5 – The Great Shell Game

October 12 – Return to Devil's Hole

October 19 – A Fistful of Diamonds

October 26 – Stagecoach Seven

November 2 – A Man Who Murdered Himself

November 9 – The Root of It All

November 16 – The 5th Victim

November 23 – Journey from San Juan

November 30 – NO story chat due to Thanksgiving (USA)

December 7 – Never Trust an Honest Man

December 14 – The Legacy of Charlie O'Rourke

December 21 – NO story chat due to Christmas & Boxing Day (UK & USA)

December 28 – NO story chat due to Christmas & Boxing Day (UK & USA)

Last edited by Penski on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:11 pm

It's just me and Joannb on chat today! Join us!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm sorry I missed chat. I went to Santa Paula for the day. I hope you had a wonderful time in chat.

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 7:59 am

I may or may not join the chat this Sunday the 18th, because I may have to work. My work schedule will be changing in June, and I won't have Sunday afternoons free anymore.

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:06 am

Loving this weeks banner Penski!! egcat 
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 7:42 am

I would love to take credit for that great chat banner this week; however, the credit goes to our favorite Webmistress - BeeJay.

Excellent and creative banner, BeeJay! LOVE IT!!!

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Oh my gosh, I have to miss the Harry Briscoe subject of chat! Talk lots in the latter half, ladies, because I'll look at the archive later to see what you all have to say about the Bannerman organization and my favorite detective. Wish I could be there!!

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I really think it will benefit our story writing if we watch episodes and discuss them using Calico's suggestions:

?? Does the episode set any - PREQUEL, MISSING SCENE, FOLLOW UP - bunnies a bouncing

?? Any of the characters ripe for a VS come back

?? Anything in the episode that is so visual it'd be a real stretch VS wise ...

?? Any favo(u)rite lines crying out to be used again and again in fanfic?

?? What on the episode has become canon

Sometimes we get so busy with real life and write what we remember to be the boys' characters. Watching the episodes again will remind us of their character and can provide plot bunnies.

So your homework, as hard as it may be, will be to dust off the dvds and watch Heyes and Curry. I know, it'll be tough watching them but I think you're up to it. sm

And please join the chats even if you didn't get a chance to watch the episode. Most of you have seen them a few times and can comment.

See you on Sunday chat!

Maz

Maz

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm

You seriously want me to sit and watch Ben as Kid Curry on my weekend?
Well if you insist!

sm sm sm sm sm sm sm sm sm

Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 pm

If anyone wants to put in their two-cents about episodes but can't make it to chat, you can email or PM me your comments and I'll post them in chat.

Yep, Maz, I want you to watch Ben as Kid Curry at least once a week. Tough job but somebody's gotta do it. May have to comment about that other guy, too, during chat.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:26 am

Dang!  Exit from Wickenburg is one of my favorite episodes and I won't be able to make it to Chat tomorrow.  

I don't have anything new to say about the episode itself since writing my blog entry a few years ago (Exit From Wickenburg) but I would have liked to read what other people have to say.  

But since Wickenburg is in Arizona, at some point I will visit it!  And hopefully get a story as a result.  I've driven past the exit sign for the city on the highway but since I was with other people who had no interest in going there (I know, how could they not?!), I haven't made it there yet.

I am sending my responses to the discussion questions to Penski for her to post during the actual Chat session. (Thanks!)

If someone would be kind enough to make a transcript (you'd have to start saving the document from early on, as waiting until the very end doesn't catch the first part/hour) and send it to me, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks in advance!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Penski can't make Wickenburg chat because of a change of time of a family obligation.

Here are Ghislaine's comments...

To answer the discussion questions:

* Does the episode set any - PREQUEL, MISSING SCENE, FOLLOW UP - bunnies a bouncing
--How the boys got the carpentry job
--Registering at the hotel for an expensive room (love the quote about paying $2 for a room so expecting a bit of privacy)
-- Something to do with bowin' and scrapin' as a big wig walks down the street
-- Obviously, outlaw days with the Plummer Gang and where Kid was during that time
-- Follow-up about Tommy: What he ends up doing as an adult or teen

* Any of the characters ripe for a VS come back
-- Sarek!

* Any favo(u)rite lines crying out to be used again and again in fanfic?
* See above: a) the line about hotel privacy, b) the line about bowin' and scrapin'
* Kid's lines to Tommy about him not needing a gun when he grows up but until then Kid will carry his life around in a holster (words to that effect)
* Kid's advice to the cheating poker player about considering it the price of bein' deliverd from sin
* Kid's line about not needing to work to work up an appetite
* These lines: “Ya know, Heyes, I’ve been thinking.” “Kid, we’ve had a pretty fair arrangement so far; let’s keep it that way.”

* What on the episode has become canon
-- These lines: “Ya know, Heyes, I’ve been thinking.” “Kid, we’ve had a pretty fair arrangement so far; let’s keep it that way.”
-- How Heyes is the brains and Kid is the brawn--HH figures out Mike's scheme and KC enforces the rules at the poker tables
-- That Kid is the one who deals well with children
-- That Kid can shovel the food down

Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Here are Penski's comments about Wickenberg...

?? Does the episode set any - PREQUEL, MISSING SCENE, FOLLOW UP - bunnies a bouncing?
- Good story about them waking up from being hit & sent out of town – Heyes has a concussion while the Kid was “just socker punched”
- Boys were good saloon managers
- Plummer stories

?? Any of the characters ripe for a VS come back
- Sloane / Plummer
- Finrock (bushy sideburns)

?? Anything in the episode that is so visual it'd be a real stretch VS wise ...
- The saloon scene with the games and card playing and pouring of liquor

?? Any favo(u)rite lines crying out to be used again and again in fanfic?
- That’s trouble and we have to stay away from trouble
- But we’re not, are we.
- That’s the nicest I’ve been asked to leave town

?? What has become canon?
- Kid is good with kids (kiss the kids good-bye for me)
- Can read each other – don’t have to discuss things but just know it (Gorman to the horse)
- NOT canon – Heyes does eat as much as the Kid in the café.  Kid isn’t the glutton many say he is.
- “Heyes, I’ve been thinkin’…”  “Kid, we’ve had a good arrangement about that…”
- Heyes and Kid don’t make good carpenters

General Comments
- Beautiful sunset at beginning
- Love the saloon scenes
- The Kid knows the days of guns will eventually be over – folks won’t be wearing guns in the future
- Who told Mary Cunningham to fire the boys – Finrock or Sloane?
- Tears DO work on the boys
- Plummer knows who is still alive of his old gang and who’s still a threat

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:07 pm

For VS comeback: Don't forget about Mary Cunningham! Yeah, sure, she said she was heading back east, but how far did she really get?

And how about those two card sharps that Heyes and Curry exposed at the beginning? Considering the time that our heroes spend in saloons, what are the ends they'll run into these two cheaters again? Or the young gunman that Curry outdrew in the saloon?

Something that comes up in this episode that I've seen in others is the bargaining skills that the boys have. "Desperate enough to make it $50 a month?" Heyes wasn't so sympathetic to Mary's problem that he donated to her cause; he upped the ante with her, and she folded. It worked for Heyes in this case. Was there ever a time when maybe he pushed too far or too hard, and it backfired on our boys?

On Penski's comment, they communicate so well -- also when they first leave the poker table. "What do you want to do about it?" Heyes knows Kid has seen the cheating and recognized it. He doesn't have to say, Hey, Kid, I think I saw those two cheat!

I love these questions and ideas (yours, not mine!). Keep 'em coming! applause

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Not everyone can make chat on Sundays but want to comment on the episode so we'll be posting the Sunday chat (cleaned up) under the Chat Room. Feel free to add your thoughts about the episodes there.

I'll start the following Sunday Chat episode early so folks can think about it and post it they know they cannot attend the chat.

I copied Ghislaine's and RosieAnnie's comments from Exit to Wickenberg under that topic so it could all stay together.

Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 am

Posting Chat...

Does anyone have any concerns about posting the Sunday Chat in the episode thread in the Chat Room?  I'll be erasing the "howdy" and the "bye", the personal things, and things said that do not relate to the episode.  I already posted the Sunday Chat that took place on Sept 7 about McCreedy's Bust.  You can see how I cleaned it up.

Please pm or email me if you have a concern - I can delete that post if needed. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll assume you all are okay with it. Lots of good information.

Thanks!

Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Changing it up...

Instead of posting Sunday chats for all to read, I'm encouraging folks to put down their "notes" for the episode chats - basically answering the questions we discuss in chat.

Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 am

I like the idea of just posting responses to the questions instead of the entire chat.  That's not only shorter, ie easier to read, but also less work for you.  sm

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2014 6:57 am

ARGH... I have to miss another chat!

Duty calls and I have to do fall cleaning at the cabin this weekend. Will comment on Root of it All when I get back.

Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 1:40 pm

CHAT ROOM PROBLEMS...

I'm having a problem in the chat room today. Is anyone else? I can log on, but my messages won't display. Don't have access to smilies and not able to choose font color. Will have to put my comments in the chat room.

I cleared cookies and more, but still not working. If you have a problem too, let BeeJay know in a pm.

sistergrace

sistergrace

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 1:56 pm

I tried the chat room. I was able to get in, and able to post, although one of my posts disappeared and then it came back in a few minutes. I posted a notice for anyone who attempts to find us today.

In the meantime, I am watching a DVD of Smiler with a Gun. wolf DANG! No wonder I love this show! cigar

Calico

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 am

Penski,
I had exactly same problem!!

I was a bit early anyhow, but was trying to leave a pawprint - but no, my typing had no effect!!
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 am

Just checked and I'm still not able to "talk" in the chat room. Is anyone else having a problem? Please check and let us know.

Calico

Calico

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 am

Hello there, I am still completely silent in chat room... I can get in, but only communicate via mime!
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 am

I was able to 'talk' in the chat room. It is functioning. Maybe it was a glitch on forumotion that has been repaired. If you have difficulties today, try clearing your cookies, etc. Drop me a line as PM as well.

Sponsored content

Chat Schedule 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Schedule 2014   Chat Schedule 2014 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chat Schedule 2014
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next