Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Girl in Boxcar #3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

The Girl in Boxcar #3 Empty
PostSubject: The Girl in Boxcar #3   The Girl in Boxcar #3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Well, this certainly seems to be a quest episode! In fact, there are many quests that are undertaken: The boys searching for a way to outwit the men who want to prevent them from completing the job they've been hired to do; Kid searching for the money after he "lost" it; Annabelle searching for authentic experience as well as her father; Heyes searching for Kid; and even Kid searching for food when he leaves the train. Also, Heyes and Curry search for answers from the banker as to how he managed to fool them regarding the money they thought they were carrying.

What other plot types do you see in this episode?

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

The Girl in Boxcar #3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Girl in Boxcar #3   The Girl in Boxcar #3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 4:06 pm

The theme that always struck me from this episode is "The Hero With the Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. Briefly put, the major focus of this is the search for the father. The hero has to go through a series of adventures and challenges before he can meet and discover the meaning of the father.

In this episode, of course, it is Annabelle who is searching for her father. She undergoes a series of adventures and trials and, at the end, she maybe realizes that she already has within her the knowledge the father might have imparted.

Of course, in Campbell's classic, the hero goes through some pretty tough stuff. It may be interesting to some to know that George Lucas was a protege of Joseph Campbell, and based his story of Luke Skywalker on "Hero With a Thousand Faces." Luke's trials and tribulations were a lot more dramatic and life-threatening than Annabelle's, of course, but the same myth underlies both stories.

Ghislaine, I think the other "quests" you mention are secondary to the main story, the monomyth of the search for the father.

I'll also mention that this is not one of my favorite episodes. Maybe part of that is because Heyes is secondary here, and I am a Heyes girl forever. But Annabelle, in my opinion, was a bit of a whiner and a baby. It wasn't till the end, when she admits that she's not quite grown up to deal with the reality of her father, that I start to like her, and maybe even identify a bit with her.

Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down

The Girl in Boxcar #3
Page 1 of 1