Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Settling Down to Write

Go down 
+7
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
Calico
HannaHeyes
BeeJay
InsideOutlaw
Penski
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Settling Down to Write Empty
PostSubject: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Inquiring minds want to know... scratch

When is your favorite time to write?
Do you have a favorite place and, if so, where is it?
Do you handwrite or use a laptop or desktop?
Any other special touches or food or drink that get you in the mood to write?

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Penski wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know... scratch

Enquiring minds, huh? Okay...

Favorite time to write: Anytime, although favorite is probably late at night when the distractions of the day have pretty much settled down.

Favorite place to write: Anywhere I happen to be when the mood strikes, although it's mostly in front of the computer, wherever it happens to be.

Handwrite or use a laptop or desktop: Yes. Have done both paper or computer, but mostly use laptop.

Special touches or food or drink that get you in the mood to write: Umm, not really. Mood can strike anywhere, anytime, and I find food or drink a distraction to the process.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Usually in the evening. Friday nights were great for writing, but not as much for some reason. I can get on a "role" while at work during lunch, too.

In the living room, sitting in a comfortable recliner. Too bad water and electronic don't mix 'cause I'd love to be sitting in the hot tub and typing away at a story on my laptop . bath

Laptop although I usually carry a notepad with me wherever I go since you don't know when a scene or dialog will come to you. I get some of my best ideas while "dozing" on the bus as I commute to work.

I like lighting candles and usually have an adult beverage. Just one drink or I'll bottle And no food because that can cause sticky fingers. OH... and be very careful not to spill drinks on the keyboard. Can ruin a good computer, huh? (I won't name names)

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 am

After work. My job is quite stressful and it's a great escape from real life.

Sitting feet up, in the living room on my comfy settee.

Laptop, most definitely. I write on my favourite seat

A large, mug of tea is always gratefully received.

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 4:27 am

Really when an idea strikes, but mainly that's weekend mornings or late in the evening after dinner. Sometimes when I'm trying to work out a tricky argument for a brief or such at work, I'll put that aside and turn to fanfic writing -- letting my mind figure out the other issue on its own, without conscious thought.

Do you have a favorite place, and if so, where is it?

Sitting on my bed.

Laptop almost always, otherwise the desktop.

No.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:25 am

Whenever the mood strikes me--which can often be in the middle of the night. I tend to wake up a lot and the brain is always clicked to on.

I have my laptop on a small side table in our great room.

Paper if I'm out camping, otherwise it's always my laptop or desktop (at work).

I always have something to drink which is either coffee, water, or wine depending on the time of day.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 am

I suppose my best time to write is in the afternoon and evenings when work and other committments for the day have been taken care of. I don't really have any set time other than that as I tend to get down to it whenever I'm not busy with R/L.
I used to use my pc but now I have a laptop and am finally getting used to it. The real challange was learning how to turn off the touch pad (that thing was a nuisence!) Even the tech where I bought it didn't know how, he had to ask his boss. Of course once we figured it out it was very simple!!
I usually write in my studio, but now that I have the laptop and the olympics are on, I will be moving into the living room occasionally. That way I can watch the events that I want to and then go back to writing when they jump to stuff I'm not interested in. The equestrian events will of course have priority!
I don't really need any stimulantes to get writing; I just sit at the computer and my imagination takes over. A glass of wine always sounds nice, but it makes me tired and then I can't write so I generally stay away from that. In the evenings, maybe a cup of coffee or two but that's about it and they really arn't essential to the creative process.
Happy writing everyone!
Back to top Go down
BeeJay
Admin
BeeJay

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:24 am

On the weekend. I need a long stretch of uninterrrupted time to concentrate.
My mad-room, the den or the dining-room table.
laptop
Drinks but no food. No specific type of drink.Alcohol is always nice, but I am a light-weight and have to be careful about that. The fingers are easily confused and can type the strangest things.

HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:47 am

Favorite time to write - I can at any time, but prefer to at night.

Place to write - Reclined on the couch, himmy cat beside me, tv on, and maybe some music that matches the mood of the story

Usually use a laptop or tablet, sometimes write on paper. All my plot ideas are on paper.

A nice cold coke usually accompanies me :)

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:56 am

I guess a nice, rainy weekend afternoon...
Or evenings when work has not left me a wrung out rag...

Sofa, telly on for background.

Always a laptop.
Back in days when I did proper plots might do a pencil flow line - but that's been a while, huh?

Plenty of tea.
Encouragement from the other half.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:07 pm

What is your favorite time to write?
Evenings, when there's peace and quiet.

Do you have a favorite place?
The not-so-comfy desk chair, where I am right now. But the comfy chair in the living room is better. It has wide arms and a wide back, and sometimes the calico cat lays there, next to me, and purrs away while I type.

Do you handwrite or use a laptop?
I compose on the laptop. I'm visually oriented, so I tend to print out the whole story and edit it that way. Sometimes I read the whole thing out loud. That helps me catch phrases or words that may pass muster on the page, but don't sound right, or are maybe too repetitive. I find I eliminate lots of nods and smiles that way.

Any other special touches of food or drink?
Nothing special. Definitely nothing alcoholic. I usually have something nearby, though, so I don't have to get up for a drink when I'm on a roll. Right now I've got a big thermos of water nearby.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
FrankieASJ

FrankieASJ

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:20 am

I tend to have writing days - usually when the horrids are at school. Find it difficult to write in the evenings and am usually too tired at night, although I often work through an idea in my head as I'm trying to go to sleep but often forget what it is by the time morning comes!
Either in my bed - especially on cold winter days or on the sofa in my kitchen which overlooks the garden when the weather's nice.
I mainly use my beloved laptop but also have a writing book which I use when haven't got my laptop with me. Have been known to write on scraps of paper when at work when bored and suddenly have a flash of inspiration!
Beware the perils of having drinks by your laptop - very stressful when you knock it over into the keyboard! I find too much wine makes for some interesting spelling and a lot of editing the next day! Generally I just need peace and quiet and inspiration to write - not too much chance for that during school holidays. Rolling Eyes

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 am

Great questions, Penski! I am overwhelmed by the number of interesting responses already! thumbsup

I usually like to set aside time in a large block, like a writing day, starting early in the morning when no one else is going to be around other than the cat and I can be creative in blissful, uninterrupted silence.

Kitchen table, looking out the back window. Lots and lots of trees and wildlife.

I prefer the laptop, but have been known to resort to paper and pencil in emergencies, like extended power outages or for sudden bursts of inspiration at times when a laptop is not available.

My "special touch" would be the inspirational bandana which was a gift from a member of this forum. THANKS! sm I don't actually wear it while writing, but as long as it is touching me, it seems to work. I don't usually eat or drink anything while writing because I tend to get absorbed in what I'm doing and forget to stop and eat.

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 5:13 am

It used to be in the evenings/nights. When I wrote fanfic I still lived with my parents and when everything had settled down and everything was quiet, it was the best time for me to concentrate and write.

Back against the wall, sitting on the bed. That used to be my spot. I couldn't write while sitting at a desk. I had to sit as relaxed as possible.

Ideas pop up at the craziest of times and then I tried to jot them down on whatever was within reach while they were still fresh in my head.
I used a laptop but it broke down. Am tempted to buy a new one, but I don't think my neck and shoulder are too keen on the idea. Sad

Lucky Luke comics! They served twice as inspiration for my stories - or rather 2,5 times as the third story was never finished.
I do recall having music on while I was writing but other times I didn't have music on.
Back to top Go down
Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 am

Any time really. Sometimes I get the feeling or urge that I "have" to write and other times I either get an idea or the my muse has found the key to unlock the writer's block which has temporarily kept me a prisoner of my own thoughts... FYI, there is a real writer's condition called "Hypergraphia" (Van Gogh had it) but most of us do not go to that extreme Suspect

Again...any place will do. BUT...if I get the chance to sit near water where I can "hear" it, gonefishing I would take that in a heartbeat! I don't need peace and quiet (unless I am trying to think like Heyes - then I could use a padded cell! padded )

Definitely handwritten most of the time writing and then transferred into a laptop. I can take a notebook anywhere and everywhere, so it is easy to put down my thoughts no matter if there is internet or not.

lol2 Yes - CHOCOLATE - and the darker the better! eat I already mentioned being near running water (fountains, rivers, waterfalls) and IF possible, I love to put on my fav music in the background - just open another window on the comp and put one of my YouTube playlists on and I'm good to go! I will even open another window and add "Rainy Mood" to play along with my music to get the sound of rain/water thumbsup

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Inquiring Minds   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 9:05 am

Enjoyed reading all the responses they are as varied as the tales I read from the many authors.

Owning my own company. . . I cannot write until all my work is caught up. So when it is and so is life, I will write. Consequently it could be anytime at all. I have been known to write all day and late, late into the nights or get up way too early to write. Basically if the logical (adult side) of my mind will let me play, I will write.

I migrate from location to location about my home.

If I am in my truck waiting for a client and inspiration strikes I will dictate to my iPhone draft pad. But for writing I use my laptop although the tale "One Left Behind" was handwritten on paper. Wow oh Wow I haven't done that since the early 90's it felt rather novel.

If I have the opportunity I love three fingers of American Honey but that depends on the time of day. I always have liquid of some sort nearby no food though. In fact, writing days are basically good for my waistline :0)
I also have speakers throughout my house so I will have my favorite instrumentals playing on shuffle...sometimes the music has to be changed to fit the mood of my writing. But I find American Outlaws, Last Confederate, Last of the Mohicans, Gladiator, Dances with Wolves, Quiggly Down Under, Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, 1800 and Civil War music keep my ideas flowing nicely.

Claybank

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 10:29 pm

My mind is constantly going over potential scenes, dialogue, and research. Because my time spent actually writing is limited, by the time I get to putting it down on paper or the computer it has to need very little re-writing. Evenings are best for getting it down because the house is quieter.

The best ideas usually come when I'm really busy with something else so can't write them down!

Both: I carry notebooks around with me everywhere, but what goes in the notebook is usually just the dialogue and the who-said-what, not necessarily in the order that they'll eventually end up. When I go to typing it on the computer I put in the descriptions and put the scenes in the order that I want them.

The music of the Mills Brothers keeps the keyboard clicking, and if I get writer's block a Snickers bar helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Claybank wrote:
The music of the Mills Brothers keeps the keyboard clicking.

Claybank, ever since I read this, "Cab Driver," one of my all-time faves, has been playing on continuous loop in my head, and it really does go so well with the the clickety-click on the keyboard. sm Thanks for the reminder of the tune. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Settling Down to Write   Settling Down to Write Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Settling Down to Write
Page 1 of 1