Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck Comments

Go down 
+19
stormr
AllegraW
Bison1
countryrosie
joannb
nm131
Shenango
Fortitudine
Maz
sistergrace
Calico
FrankieASJ
RosieAnnie
skykomish
Penski
InsideOutlaw
HannaHeyes
Ghislaine Emrys
BeeJay
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Riders: Fun story. I was envisioning a sort of Rube Goldberg process as I read. Finally, the boys are recognized for their good deed and, of course, it was totally undeserved this time!
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Riders - What a hilarious way to be heroes! Laughing I loved how they fumbled their way and ended up catching the thieves. And not to have even noticed the store was being robbed. The Kid had good reason to be mad at the singing silver-tongued one. Suspect What a fun challenge!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 am

HannaHeyes -- cute concept for a story. I liked the imagery created by the phrase "river of shadows." I know I certainly wouldn't have wanted to wake up to a giant spider on my face and I don't mind spiders in general! Not sure I see the two boys as afraid of spiders (even huge ones) in the daylight but that's one of the interesting things about reading different writers -- we all have different takes -- keeps it fresh. I also liked the difference between young Hannibal's elaborate but ineffective trap and Mrs. Curry's far more practical approach. Maybe that's where the Kid got his practical side from.
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Okay Hannaheyes I am going to admit that I didn't read ALL of your story.

Being an arachnaphobe myself I read the bit about..it crept..and HUGE and WOLF SPIDER and well..I got the picture. HIde me!!!Awestruck Comments - Page 16 966460417

Hooray for Jed's Mum is all I can say...either that or get the fly swat!!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:36 pm

HannaHeyes - Didn't you give us a bee story last month? Are you an entomologist? Great fun and the start of Hannibal Heyes' complicated plans. Would boys admit to being scared of the spider though? Mind you, there's a cockroach at the end... yeuch! Nobody would blame them for that.
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:51 pm

HannaHeyes: Bees, a spider and a cockroach...what's next, I wonder?! Cute story with a funny ending. (Though, personally, I find nothing remotely humorous about cockroaches.) I completely sympathize with Jed not wanting to go back to bed after feeling a spider on himself. Favorite lines: Then in a smaller voice said, “Was not…” Han walked off to pace while he thought. “Was too…” Jed whispered.

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
http://asjmoviewesternsetc.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Nope, not an entomologist. Just live out in the country with a LOT of bugs ;) (and my plot bunnies seem to be in hiding...)

And to be honest, I thought about whether or not boys would be all that afraid of spiders after I wrote it, but just decided to post it anyway :) My nephew is terrified of bugs LOL!

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Hanna: Funny story! That spider sure was persistent. Too bad the boys couldn't use the old "suck into the vacuum cleaner" plan. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am

INSIDE OUTLAW - This was a very enjoyable story. I could see the action clearly as I read. I liked the idea of Heyes and Kid helping the deputy, then stealing his horse. Your writing is very concise here. Good job!

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Inside Outlaw - What an action-packed story and in less than 3,000 words! Loved the predictament you put them in and that two were smart enough to figure out what Curry was up to. Nice that they saved the friend. Favorite line - Heyes laughed, “I guess you can just think of us as a couple of bad Samaritans.” Great entertainment!

RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Inside Outlaw - I really admire how you packed a complete story into less than 3,000 words, and with characterization, too! Everything fits nicely. Good work!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Ghislaine Emrys
Ghislaine Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:12 pm

InsideOutlaw: I really liked this story--it was a great character study. The action was well-written and the details of the environment were specific enough to make the story realistic without overpowering it. Milt's confusion was portrayed well. Well done!

http://commentaryasaj.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

InsideOutlaw -- I too must add my praise for this story. The contrast (though contrast is not really the correct term) of the two sets of life long partners was wonderful. As others have said, it was easy to picture the story as it went along. A good story in less than 3,000 words. A great story to break the drought. Awestruck Comments - Page 16 713145813
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

InsideOutlaw; Your writing is really improving--and that's not to say that it was bad in the first place. Very good story and, as others have already stated, the action was well writen and very visual. Again, your knowledge of the high country makes me envious. especially when I know I have to go back to riding on roads and manicured trails where gopher holes are unheard of! Anyway, I digress--again! Great story, keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

InsideOutlaw - This was a great read, with two sets of close partners involved in the chase. It really shows how Heyes and Curry are just normal men, (when it comes to their humanity, at least), it's just that the value they place on human life is not common in their world and confounds people's expectations, especially when others don't treat them with the same respect. The action was really well written and kept twisting and changing course to give us all a great ride. Clapping hard!
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 am

PENSKI - Yay, a Kyle Murtry plan! Enjoyed this story of a robbery gone wrong. Loved Heyes' last line to Wheat about some things being more important than money. Good job!

FRANKIEASJ - This was so well written, I could feel the emotions Heyes was going through on that street. Nice to see Heyes being the one in a showdown. Kinda scary though knowing Kid wasn't there to watch his back!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:47 am

Penski; Good to see Kyle finally getting a chance to show his brilliance! Or at least stumble across a good idea. Not all well laid plans can go accordingly and sometimes you just have to cut your losses!

FrankieASJ; That was certainly a different take on the gunfight. Like all of us, I'm sure; At the beginning I assumed that Heyes was agian watching Kid in yet another showdown, but then you put in your twist. Very well writen and as HH says, we could really feel what Heyes was going through and all the things that flashed through his mind at a time when he really needed to be focused.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Penski -- you portrayed the tension of the gang as they raced for freedom well. It was nice to have Kyle be the one to come up with the idea. Finally I love the train to Clarksburg -- was it the last one? Awestruck Comments - Page 16 713145813

Frankie -- Yay!! you got a story in and what an emotional one it was. I like the twist on the gunplay. I'm sure it was a very traumatic day for both our boys.Awestruck Comments - Page 16 184121345
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Frankie - YAHOO!! Frankie wrote an ASJ challenge! You deserve a drink - shall I make it a Guinness? bottle Love the tension of the whole piece with Heyes' mind not on what it should be and appreciating his partner's ability to turn everything off but the opponent. And a few nerve-wracking moments for the Kid until he saw his partner. Loved the Kid's "Let's get a drink, Joshua." (betting it wasn't a Guinness) Perfect!

Admit it... Didn't it feel good writing about the Kid again?

Last edited by Penski on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maz

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Frankie..a challenge!! Yahooooo. So now Heyes knows what it's like for Kid. Aww.

Penski...who knew Kyle would come up with an idea that actually worked? Everyone remember where you were TAHT day.

Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Insideoutlaw...like The Bad Samaritans..and of course they were going to help the deputy, that's what our boys do. :)

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:26 am

Silverkelpie - I've been working away recently to support colleagues in another force after an incident, but I just wanted to say that a 'Wet Paint' sign gave us a moment of hilarity during a tense time when I explained about a story I'd read and the whole 'It's not an instruction!' scenario. It's certainly made some hardened cops have a good laugh, and I can honestly say none of us will ever look at a 'Wet Paint' sign again, without wondering if anyone will.

I'm sorry I haven't has time to comment on more stories just yet, but I'll catch up next week when I'm back home.
Back to top Go down
HannaHeyes

HannaHeyes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 pm

KEAYS - Loved the argument between Heyes and Kid! Especially enjoyed the part where Heyes' reasoning 'got blown out of the water'. Nice job :)

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:50 am

Penski - I loved the idea of distracting from pursuit by scattering cash. I wonder how much of that money made it back to the original owner? So Kyle finally had an idea? He must have nearly blown a gasket in the process.

Frankie - I'm so glad we tempted you out to play at last. This was so well written and the whole tension of the standoff built up beautifully. The complete respect of one partner for the other's skills came across so well in this and still managed to show that Heyes is no slouch with a gun either. Why apologise for the length when there's quality like this? It's not competitive - oh wait, yes it is... but not on word count.

Keays - A really fun story. Sometimes logic just doesn't cut it, eh? So their flash hats were just as bad as each other, but Kid finally got the better of Heyes just by letting him see himself through his partner's eyes. I do love stories where Kid can best Heyes in an argument.
Back to top Go down
FrankieASJ

FrankieASJ

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 7:25 am

So now I've managed to post a challenge it's only right I should continue commenting on the others:

Silverkelpie - I just love the characters you create and Tibby is no exception. And I loved the wall washing scene! So is this a stand alone or will Tibby be back?
Awestruck Comments - Page 16 713145813

Riders - What an action packed challenge. Would love to hear the ballad of Heyes and Curry myself! Fun piece of writing.
Awestruck Comments - Page 16 184121345

Hanna - What a pair of wusses! Have to admit to spiders not being my fave creature but I guess they tend to be a little bigger and darker in the US!!! Cute story all the same.
Awestruck Comments - Page 16 1978086825

IO - Great challenge. Good bit of action, some peril, angst and then they boys get to be all heroic and win over a couple of the 'good guys'. Nice! Awestruck Comments - Page 16 3980218871

Penski - Loved that! Good old Kyle - he's smarter than he looks - well, just a bit!!! scratch Rolling Eyes

Keays - Another goody. Clever. I like the way you worked through the scenario with bantering dialogue and what a great conclusion.
Awestruck Comments - Page 16 364988687

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck Comments   Awestruck Comments - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck Comments
Page 16 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next