Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Empty
PostSubject: Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid   Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 9:52 am

Hello to you one and all...

I am surprised not to have used this one before, but hey, I checked THE LIST (capital letters) and apparently not.

So, please set your imaginations a churning as you contemplate

"What I heard when I was a Kid"

Penski likes this post

Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid   Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 9:18 pm

What I heard when I was a Kid…

Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry left Rosie’s Diner and headed to the saloon a block away. Curry entered first and glanced around before Heyes pushed through the batwing doors. They both made their way to the bar.

“What’ll you have?” The barkeep wiped dirty glasses clean.

Heyes put some coins on the counter. “Two beers.”

“Coming up!” The man tossed his gray towel over his shoulder and filled two of the now cleaned glasses. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.”

Heyes and the Kid took a sip, sighed, and then turned with their backs toward the bar as they watched the action around the smoky room.

A few minutes later, two men stood up from a poker table and walked out. The Kid nudged Heyes and nodded to the seats they'd just vacated. Heyes smiled and walked over.

“Have room for two?” he asked.

“Sure do. Have a seat.” The dealer shuffled the cards.

Heyes and Curry quickly sat down across from each other and picked up the cards recently placed before them.

“I’m Bill and this is Harry, Jack, and Abe,” the dealer introduced the men around the table.

“I’m Joshua and my friend is Thaddeus.”

The Kid tipped his hat. “Gentlemen…”

“Harry, are you still having livestock disappearing?” Jack laid down a card. “I’ll take one.”

“Sure am. Heard a loud howl the other night, too.”

“I heard a really loud howl the other night. Give me two cards. Must be a wolf.”

“We don’t have wolves in the area.”

“Well, whatever it is, it’s big… tall!”

“You seen it? I fold.” Abe threw down his cards.

“Nah, but I saw a shadow in the trees. Tall, big, and it moved fast on…” Harry hesitated.

“And moved fast on what?” Bill asked. “Anyone else need a card?”

Harry blushed and looked down. “I swear it moved on two feet.”

“A bear?”

“I know what a bear is and it was not a bear.”

Another two men came from the bar and joined in the conversation.

“We heard the howling, too. Sounded louder than just a wolf.”

“Wonder what it could be?”

The Kid took a card and mumbled, “Sounds like a wolf man.”

“What was that?” one of the players asked.

Curry fanned his cards. “Are we playin’?”

Jack, sitting next to the Kid, stated, “He said it sounds like a wolf man.”

“A wolf man?”

All the men around the table laughed.

“What’s so funny?” asked the others in the room.

“You know how a few of us are having problems with livestock disappearing? Well, this stranger says maybe it’s a wolf man!”

Heyes gave the Kid a look as all eyes were now on them. Meanwhile, the Kid’s warm blue eyes became glacier blue.

Heyes threw down his hand of cards. “We’re done – come on, Thaddeus.”

Curry threw down his hand and both gathered their money before quickly walking out of the saloon.

Upon arriving in their hotel room, Heyes threw his hat onto the dresser and sat on the bed. “What a foolish thing to say! Why would you answer anyway?”

The Kid shrugged his shoulders and pulled off his boots. “What they were sayin’ sounded like a wolf man. I didn’t think no one was listenin’ or could hear me.”

Heyes furrowed brow. “A wolf man?”

“Yeah.”

“Where’d you hear about a wolf man?”

“Something I heard when I was a kid. Probably from Grandpa Curry. Remember him tellin’ us about those little men in Ireland, too?”

“Leprechauns.”

“Yeah, those.”

Heyes sighed. “You didn’t hear about wolf man from Grandpa Curry.”

“I didn’t? Who else would’ve told me about them?”

“ME!”

“YOU?”

“Yeah, me.”

“Where’d you hear about a wolf man?”

“I read about a werewolf and changed it when I told you.”

“Why would you do that?”

“So I would sound smart like Grandpa Curry.”

Kid shook head. “You told me a lie…”

“Not a lie. Just sharing my imagination with you.”

“Sounds like a lie to me, Heyes.”

Heyes, in his long johns, laid back in his bed leaning against the head of the bed, with his hands folded behind his head. “I forgot all about the wolf man.”

“Well, I didn’t. I remember not sleepin’ every time I heard a coyote or dog howl at night,” the Kid grumbled.

“What did I tell you about them?”

“I just remember that they were six to seven feet tall – about as tall as the barn doors – and husky and looked like a wolf with pointed ears, but walked like a man.”

“That’s right. I remember now.”

“Well, thanks. The whole town thinks I’m strange because of you.”

“I didn’t tell you to blurt out wolf man tonight.”

“I didn’t blurt it out!” Curry crawled in bed and turned his back towards his partner. “Are you turnin’ off the light soon?”

“I’m just reading a chapter of my book and then I’ll turn it off.”

“Humff.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, Heyes and Kid Curry packed and signed out of the hotel.

“Ready to go?” Heyes asked as he tied down his saddlebags.

“Yep, after breakfast.”

Heyes smiled and put his arm over the Kid’s shoulders. “You never disappoint me. Let’s go.”

They walked into the diner and sat in the back corner, away from everyone.

Rosie came up to their table with two cups and a pot of coffee. “What’ll it be?”

“What’s the special?” Curry asked.

“Two eggs, two sausage, fried potatoes, and toast.”

“Two of them.” Heyes took the cup of steaming coffee and blew into it.

A while later, while Heyes and the Kid were finishing their breakfast, a man dressed in leather with a fur hat came into the diner and walked up to their table.

“Mind if I sit down?”

Heyes and Curry glanced at each other, then shrugged.

“No. Have a seat.”

“More coffee, Rosie,” the man called out before sitting down. “The name’s Gus and, as you probably guessed, I’m a trapper. Lived in the mountains and woods all my life.”

Rosie filled three coffee cups.

“Thanks, darlin’!”

“What’s this have to do with us?” the Kid asked.

“Seen a lot of strange things in the woods. Heard a lot of strange things, too. I was in the saloon last night and I didn’t laugh.” The man paused for a minute and sipped his coffee. “I’ve seen a wolf man.”

“What?” Heyes asked in disbelief.

“I’ve seen a wolf man.”

Heyes set down his cup. “You couldn’t have. I made up the wolf man when I was a kid. It came from my imagination after reading about werewolves.”

“No, you didn’t. They really exist.”

“Tell me what you seen, Gus,” Curry encouraged the trapper.

“It’s huge, tall, and looks like a wolf, but it can walk like a man. Can easily walk on all fours, too.” Gus leaned in. “And they’re evil! Can’t shoot ‘em dead easily.”

“Evil, you say?” Kid Curry asked.

Gus nodded. “Nothin’ good happens when they’re around. Be careful of ‘em!” Gus warned as he finished his coffee and stood up. “I gotta go, but I just needed to tell you that you’re not crazy and to be careful of a wolf man if you run into one.”

“Thanks for letting us know, Gus.” Heyes pulled out some money and the two men also stood up.

The three men mounted their horse outside the diner. Gus, leading a mule, headed north, while Heyes and the Kid reined their horses the opposite way.

“Be careful! Remember what I said!” Gus called out to them as they all started going their own ways.

“Huh… imagine that. Something I thought I made up is really real,” Heyes grinned.

NOTE – Werewolves and wolf man are both cryptids. While a werewolf is a shape-shifter, a man who changes into a wolf with a full moon, a wolf man, or dogman, is a hybrid of humans and canines. Because of this fusion, they have a unique blend of the best possible traits of the two species. Here are some key physiological features:

Stand up to 6′ on hindquarters
Can walk or run on human-like legs (but they still have haunches like dogs)
Sprint up to 45 miles-per-hour on all fours
Have human-like hands with opposable thumbs
Have shaggy, brown coats or a tri-color blend of black, brown, and tan
See well at night
Can track prey better than a Bloodhound or Bassett Hound
(ghostsandmonsters.com)

There are sightings of dogman throughout the United States, especially Michigan. Others sightings have been in southeastern Wisconsin and it is called the Beast of Bray Road.

Dan Ker, Kattayl and Leah_Anders like this post

Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid   Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 4:20 pm

“I don’t like this, Heyes.”  Kid Curry’s voice was muffled by the burlap grain sack his partner had thrown over his head.  He blindly swatted at the hands tugging it into place.  The rough eye holes cut into the bag sagged lopsidedly and the mouth hole hung open over an ear.

“Cut it out!” snapped Heyes, roughly jerking the baling twine he was trying to tighten around the Kid’s neck.  “Will you hold still?!”  Thrown off-balance, he backed into a stall door and nearly fell before looking around the livery to see if anyone had heard the commotion.

With a shove, Curry pushed Heyes away and jerked the sack off.  “No, I ain’t holding still!”  He glared at the dark-haired man before him.  “When you said we needed disguises, I didn’t think you were gonna truss me up like my horse’s favorite daydream!”  He angrily fished inside the bag and pulled out his Stetson, sniffing it.  “Great, now I’ve got molasses all over my hat.”

“Kid…”

“Don’t, Heyes,” warned the Kid.  “I get we have to use disguises since it’s a stick ‘em up, but I don’t get why we ain’t just using our bandanas like every other outlaw does.”

“Think about it.  A bandana only hides everything from the nose down.  Heck, it won’t hide that you’re five feet eleven inches tall, say one hundred sixty-five pounds or so, or even that you have dark blond hair and blue eyes.  Any of that sound familiar to you?”  Heyes asked sarcastically as he pulled another sack over his own hat and head and clumsily tied it with the twine.  “See?  The hat takes care of the height and the sack hides the rest of it.”

“It don’t hide your weight,” observed the Kid.

“Ha, no need.  I’ve lost a few pounds since that poster was put out and you’ve gained…”

“Don’t say it!”  With a growl, the Kid put the sack back on and extended his hand.  “I’ll tie it on myself.”

Heyes handed him a length of twine and turned away, mumbling.  “Good, because I’m tempted to…”

“What’re you sayin’ now?”

“Nothing.  Not a darn thing.”

The robbery went as smoothly as Heyes had said it would.  They’d gotten a good haul; nearly five grand by the Kid’s estimate and had managed to slip out of town a good twenty minutes before a hastily raised posse.  Unfortunately, their luck didn’t hold.  The escape route they’d chosen crossed a broad river eight miles from town but the bridge had been washed out by yesterday’s gully-washer and the water was still too high for the horses to swim.  

The Kid sat looking at the debris flowing past him sweeping the last remnants of the structure away.  “What’s your Plan B, Heyes?”

“I don’t have a Plan B; Plan A was all we needed!”  Heyes ran his hand through his hair in frustration.  “Why do I have to come up with Plan B?” His voice rose.

“Well, my Plan B is to hightail it outta here.  C’mon.”  Swinging his horse around, the Kid lashed its hind quarters with the ends of his split reins and the bay sprang into a gallop with Heyes urging his mount to keep up.

“Whew, I think we lost ‘em.  Gettin’ kinda dark to be sure.”  Pocketing the spyglass, the Kid turned to look at the dense forest he and Heyes were about to enter.  His pleased expression soured and he shook his head.  “If anyone’s still on our tails, we’ll lose ‘em in here for sure.”
“We better hope we don’t get ourselves lost in there,” said Heyes.  “I’ve never seen a forest like this in Wyoming.  Looks like something out of Grimm’s Fairytales.”  He smiled.  “Grandpa used to scare the heck out of us with those stories.”

With a chuckle, the Kid clicked to his horse and started onto the narrow game trail that led into the darkness.  “You just had to mention that, didn’t you?”

They’d been riding along in silence for several hours, both of them nearly nodding off with exhaustion, when Heyes abruptly pulled his horse up.  “Smell that?”

“Hmm, wha’…”

“Wake up.  I smell smoke.  I think there’s a cabin ahead.  Maybe we can bunk there for the night.”  

Carefully, the two men picked their way through the heavy underbrush using the scant light from a quarter moon.  The scent of a woodfire grew stronger and a few minutes later they could see a clearing with a huge bonfire burning brightly.  Heyes stopped before they emerged from the safety of the forest and the two partners watched as an odd figure danced around the flames.  It was a woman, but not like any woman they’d ever seen.  The raggedy clothes she wore boasted of hard times and her hair was a tangled mess of twigs and dead flowers which stuck out at haphazard angles.  Her lips moved but the two men couldn’t hear what she was saying.  Her head turned this way and that as though the night itself was engaging her in conversation.  Every few steps, she stooped and picked up a stone, tossing it into the fire, her voice rising as she did.  

At the edge of the bonfire, a dutch oven sat bubbling with an unknown substance.  The bones of a dead animal lay on a flat stone a few feet away along with the cores of a few apples and what appeared to be a handful of nutshells.  A bowl and spoon sat next to them.

Still concealed amongst the trees, her spectators pondered the scene.

“What do you think, Kid?”

“I think I’m hungry enough to see what she’s got in that pot.”

“Hmm, I don’t know.  She looks pretty strange.  Why don’t you stay here and cover me.  I’ll go in and see if I can sweet talk her into letting us stay for dinner.”  Heyes waited until the Kid unholstered his gun and then nodded, dismounting quickly.

“I ain’t shootin’ a woman, Heyes.”

“No, but you can let her know I’m not alone.”  With that, Heyes walked into the clearing his hands held out in front of him.  “Hello,” he said loudly.

The woman startled and dropped her next stone as her words died on her lips.  Huge eyes turned to him, a hint of madness in them lit by the fire.

“Samhain!” she hissed, clutching herself and shaking.

“Um, no, ma’am.  My name’s Arthur.  Arthur Wells.  But you can call me Art.”

“I know who you are, you’re a demon!”  

That stopped Heyes in his tracks and he looked uncertainly over his shoulder.

“Who else is out there?” demanded the woman.

“No one, ma’am.  I’m alone.”

“Liar!!”  She scooped up another rock and prepared to throw it.

“Wait,” commanded the Kid, emerging from the woods.  “You’re right, he is lyin’ but we weren’t sure we’d be welcome.”

The woman cowered, giving them a good look at her.  She was old, although she moved with the grace of youth.  Her hair was nearly white and lines carved her face but her eyes were bright and wary.  The flame flickered wildly casting shadows that dipped and swooped across her visage.

The Kid approached cautiously keeping his face friendly and easy.  “So who’s this demon you’re expectin’?”

The crony pointed dramatically at Heyes.  “He is!”

“Naw, that’s my partner, Art.  He may look like a demon but he’s a pussycat.”

Nodding, Heyes lowered his hands.  “He’s right.  I’m harmless.”

The woman relaxed but spit into the fire and watched the flames intently.  “I don’t see evil in you but I see mischief.  You’re a liar and a thief and proud o’ both.  And your name ain’t Arthur.”

Heyes smiled.  “You’re right, it’s not.”

“Yes, the spirits tell me that.”  Gesturing to the fire, the woman turned back to the two men observing her.  “They also tell me you ain’t here to harm me.”

“You’re Irish,” whispers Heyes softly.  “Our grandpa and ma came over from the old country.”

“Irish, you say?  You smack of the Limey to me.”

“I’m half English, but my friend here is Irish through and through although neither of us can speak a word of it.”

“May the Devil choke you if you’re lying to me,” swore the woman.

“Ma’am, why are you out here?  You’re an awful long way from anywhere and it ain’t safe.” The Kid took a step closer.

“Stay where you are!” She lifted her arm again threatening him with a small stone.  After a moment, she cocked her head and slowly lowered her arm.  “My pa says I can trust you.  He wouldn’t lie to me.”

The partners glanced at each other, confused by the change in her but they stepped closer.

“Yes ma’am, you can,” said Heyes reassuringly.

“Tsk, where’s me manners?  Here, come now, sit down.  I’ve a fine stew to celebrate the night and plenty to share.”

“Do you have a name, ma’am?” asked the Kid.

“I do but I won’t speak it tonight.  Not with the demons and the spirits about it.  It ain’t safe.”  Comprehension dawned on her face.  “That’s why you lied!  You are Irish!”  With a cackle, she bustled to her cookpot and scooped up a bowl of fragrant stew and held it out to the Kid.  “Go ahead,” she encouraged, “quit your drooling.”

Taking the bowl, the Kid inhaled appreciatively.  “It smells good.”

She bobs her head, delighted.  “Of course, it does.  It’s meant for a god.  I best be getting back to them.  They’ll leave if I don’t keep up my end of the conversation.”

Sharing another look, the two men looked back at her.  “Thank you,” they said at the same time.

They ate their fill as the woman took up her weird dance again and began speaking in Gaelic to her unseen visitors.  

Back in their saddles, with their bellies full and a long way from the strange woman, the Kid finally stopped and turned around gazing behind him.  “What the heck was that all about?”
“I have no idea, but if I had to guess I’d say we met one of Mr. Grimm’s witches.”

The Kid stared at him skeptically for several seconds then smiled.  “I’m sure glad it wasn’t the one that cooks little kids in her oven.”

“Me too, Kid, me too,” chuckled Heyes.

To read more about Samhain:
https://westportlibrary.libguides.com/Samhain
https://druidry.org/druid-way/teaching-and-practice/druid-festivals/samhain-festival

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry

Penski, Dan Ker, Kattayl and Leah_Anders like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: What I heard as a kid   Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 5:37 pm

Disguise And What I heard as a kid
October 2023 Challenge

Hannibal Heyes and Jed ‘Kid’ Curry tried to look casual as they walked out of a dark alley close to the telegraph/post office.  They knew they had never robbed this town and the sheriff’s name was unfamiliar.  Still, they were only thirty miles from Denver after visiting Clementine Hale for a few days.  Denver was large enough that there were bound to be people who would recognize the most successful outlaws in the west.  

“Don’t see anyone in there,” Curry said, as he looked in through the window.  “But I see two familiar wanted posters on the wall.  ‘Course mine is partially covered by one for He and Her.”

Heyes pushed Curry back into the alley so they could talk.  “He and Her, that the masked man and woman that are robbing all of them banks without any help?  They say her eyes are so pretty everyone gets distracted until it’s too late.”

“Yeah, the one time there was a third person with them, he was found dead outside of town.”  Curry stood in the shadows in the front of the alley, eyes searching the street as he spoke.  

“Paper yesterday said no one knows their real identities.  Maybe the law will look for them instead of us.  This going straight is hard,” Heyes answered.  “Telegraph office clear?”

“Yeah, no customers.”

“Then let me see if there’s a telegram from Lom waiting for us.”

Curry was watching two ladies chattering away as they went in the dress shop across the street when Heyes hurried towards him, telegram in hand.

Sitting on a bench in front of the telegraph office, Curry asked hopefully, “Telegram from Lom?”

“No, Clem, and I don’t understand it.”

“Let me see.  Boys, need help now,” Curry read.  “Well, that part makes sense.  It looks like it got here about an hour ago.”

“We left her this morning.  What trouble could she be in already?”  Heyes didn’t seem too concerned but Curry read on.

“Life and death.  Mine.  Meet asap at green tree like witch.”

“That’s the part that doesn’t make sense.”

“Green tree like witch?” Curry questioned.

Smiling, Heyes said, “Think it’s that tree down by the river about seven miles from her house.  She was talking about it how it looked like a witch when we drove by it.  You were there.”

“I love Clem, but when she gets titterin’ on and on about somethin’ and keeps goin’, I just don't listen no more.”

Heyes took a deep breath and caught his cousin’s eyes.  “Do we go?”

“We don’t have to.  Maybe we didn’t get the telegram.”  Curry hesitated a minute studying Heyes’ face.  “But we’re gonna, right?”

ASJ*****ASJ

By the time they got to where they thought Clem might be, dusk was threatening.

“Heyes, I don’t see anyone here looking like Clem.”  Curry was leaning against a tree, arms crossed, watching.  “Only female I see is that girl in the green dress, but she’s way too tall for Clem and her hair is short and lighter.”

Heyes looked at the woman and let his eyes drift right on by.  The Kid was right, too tall and she had the wrong color hair.  But something about her brought his gaze back to her.  She felt familiar.  And she was looking around frantically.

“Kid, I think that is Clem.”  Heyes set out toward her.  As soon as she saw him, she took a quick step, tottered, and almost fell.  She walked slowly toward him.  

“Clem?” Heyes asked.

“Shh.  Shh.  I’m Madeline; remember that.”  Taking his arm, she leaned heavily on him, and he caught a glimpse of the four-inch heels she was wearing.  They walked toward Curry.  He knew something was wrong by the way she kept looking around them.  No one said a word until they were further in the trees.  

“Clem, what’s happening?  Why the disguise?”

“I saw something today and now he’s trying to kill me.”

“Start at the beginnin’.”  Curry’s patience was wearing thin, and he was hungry.  Clem could talk in circles for hours and not say anything.

Heyes helped her sit on a log with her legs and the high heels straight out in front of her.

“After you left, I went into town and I saw her.”

“Who her?” Curry demanded impatiently.

“Her her.  Of He and Her.  She was standing outside the mercantile and I was inside.  She couldn’t see me because of the way the light hit.  She used the window as a mirror, and I saw her face as she was putting her mask on.  Then she walked into the bank and people started screaming in there.  He and she robbed it and shot a clerk.”  She stopped to take a breath.  

“I didn’t see them come out, but I saw her without her mask on the street a few minutes later.  I told the deputy and he arrested her.  I identified her.  And I’m the only witness who saw her put on that mask.”  A tremble went through her body.

She had the men’s interest now and she knew it.  “I got to testify tomorrow morning in court against her.”

“So why did you cut your hair and start wearing those shoes?” Heyes asked, but he thought he knew why.  

“A masked man came to my house about an hour later.  I’m sure it was He.  He said he’d kill me if I testify tomorrow.  He meant it.  So, I needed a disguise.  I cut my hair and put lemon juice on it and sat in the sun so it got lighter.”

Each of the boys were now holding one of Clem’s shaking hands.  “I don’t want to die but I need to testify.  When I was a kid, I heard my father talking to his brother about how important it was to do his civic duty.  I have to do this, even though I’m scared.”

“You’re sure it’s Her?”

“Yes.  Will you help me?”

Locking gazes for a second, Heyes answered for them both.  “There’s an abandoned line shack about five miles back.  We’ll spend the night there and you can work on walking in those shoes.  Where did you find four-inch heels?”

“The saloon.  I borrowed them from Miss Dixie for five dollars.”

ASJ****ASJ

The next morning, neither Heyes nor Curry wanted to go into the courtroom, but they did it for Clem.  Curry went in first.  Standing against the back wall, he searched each man’s face for someone looking for Clem.  He was sure that He would be here…and maybe try to kill her.  Heyes escorted the tall Miss Madeline with short, light brown hair in through the side door and sat in the second row.  

The night before, Curry had delivered a letter to the prosecutor Heyes had written about Miss Hale’s altered appearance.  And the threat she had received and what the two men thought would happen the next day.

Curry nodded when he saw Heyes and Clem.  Moving to the shadows in the corner, he found the man he was looking for.  The dark-haired man was nervously looking at each lady that arrived…and his hand wavered about his gun.  Neither man sat down when the trial started.  Curry edged over until he was standing next to the man he thought was He.

“Interesting trial,” Curry whispered to the man.  He didn’t get an answer.  He hadn’t thought he would.

They stood side by side.  The man never took his eyes off of Her.  She gave her name as Adelaide, only Adelaide.  And proclaimed her innocence.  But now everyone had seen her face.  In his opening speech, the prosecutor spoke of an eyewitness that had seen the lady don the mask.

The defending attorney made the comment that it seemed the eyewitness had not shown up in court so there was no evidence that Miss Adelaide was Her.  The man beside Curry relaxed at those words.  Until the prosecutor called Miss Clementine Hale to the stand.  

Taking off the long coat that she donned to hide the heels she had worn in, Clem stood up, now wearing her own shoes.  She ran her fingers through her short hair nervously as she approached the front.

Meanwhile, the man next to Curry slipped out the back door.  Quietly, Curry followed him and watched him put on a mask.  He drew his gun and opened the side door only enough to see.  Before Clem could testify, he pointed his weapon at her.

“Hold it right there.  That’s my Colt in your back.  You shoot her.  I shoot you,” Curry told him with a growl.  Pushing the side door open, Curry forced the man forward into the courtroom.  Two deputies moved to take the gun.  With a nod to the attorney, Curry disappeared.  In the confusion, Heyes left, too.  

ASJ*****ASJ

After the trial ended, Clem, Heyes, and Curry sat around her table talking.  

“So, Her, who is actually Adelaide Russell, was convicted of all the robberies and as an accessory to murder,” Clem explained.

“Russell?  As in the president of the bank Russell?”

“Yes.  Evidently, her pa didn’t like her choice of boyfriends and refused to let her marry him.”

“Am I missing somethin’?  He was her boyfriend, right?” asked Curry.

“He’s an unemployed ranch hand that decided it was easier to rob banks than work.  And he recruited Adelaide.  She was upset enough with her father to join up with him.”

“So, all’s well?”

“She was convicted of the robberies and accessory to three murders.  And he was convicted of the robberies and the murders.  Both will be in prison until they are old and gray.”  Clem stood and cleared the plates from the table.  She nervously pulled at her short, light hair as she said, “So, you two will be leaving again?”

Smiling, Heyes stood, pushed her hair down and kissed her.  “Your hair looks cute.  Fits you.  And we are leaving now.  Been here too long.”

Curry pulled her away and gave her a strong embrace as he, too, kissed her goodbye.

She turned away and took a package off the counter.  “Some food for the road.  You know, the prosecutor said he wanted to thank you in person.”

The partners looked at each other and grinned.  “You’ll just have to tell him he’s welcome.”

Penski and Dan Ker like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid   Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oct 23 - What I heard when I was a Kid
Page 1 of 1