Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Empty
PostSubject: October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...    October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2022 9:16 am

Hello hello hello

October - and blackcat halloween month come round once again.

So, we have a Challenge prompt which COULD give us Halloween Tales... or could give us any story your fertile minds think of

Bend your pens to

Nothing to be scared of

caitsh
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

PostSubject: Re: October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...    October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am

Nothing to be scared of

“There ain't nothing to be scared of Jed, it'll be over soon and we'll all be safe.”

That was the first time that Jed remembered hearing those words, and it was the last thing his Pa ever said to him.

Pa had got him so snugly fixed in the storm cellar, that he couldn't move and had to watch helplessly through the tiny window as his family died one by one.

He couldn't move at all, could only cry helplessly, his eyes stuck on his dead family, until several hours later, Hannibal came hollering and yelling for him and pulled him out of what now felt like a prison, with his own face streaked with tears. Together they buried their families before taking the long walk into Lawrence.

They reached the town as dusk fell and were scooped up in the comforting arms of Mrs Fletcher, the doctor's wife.

Jed opened his mouth to tell her what had happened, but nothing came out, so he shut it again. He looked helplessly at Hannibal who patted him gently on the shoulder, swallowing hard before saying softly. “They're all dead, Ma'am...we didn't know what else to do, so we walked here."

XXX

The second time he remembered hearing them, was when Preacher Johnson was saying goodbye, as he left them at Valpo. “There's nothing to be scared of boys, I've heard good things about this place.”

Valpo was what Jed thought hell must be like, and he wondered what he'd done for God to hate him so.

They survived just over two years, until two weeks after Jed turned thirteen, a severe beating left them both in the hospital wing.

Hannibal looked over at him, trying to smile through swollen lips as he said softly. “We're outta here Jed, soon as we can walk.”

A week later in the gloomy dark, they slipped out of the hellhole and as they stood wondering what way to go, Hannibal put his hand on Jed's shoulder. “I know you're scared Jed, I am too and we oughta be...'cos what we're doing ain't gonna be easy.”

With the light from the moon, Jed saw his friend's face break into a puzzled expression as he laughed at the comment before saying. “How we gonna decide which way to go, Hannibal?”

“I was thinking maybe a coin toss, Jed, as I ain't got a clue.”

XXX

The third time he heard it, was a few years later, when he and Heyes were arguing about a con Heyes wanted them to pull, when Kid was sure it would be a disaster. “Kid, there ain't nothing to be scared of...be smooth as silk, I remember everything we was taught by Soapy.”

A solid lump grew in Kid's stomach as he glared at his friend in shock. “I ain't one of your marks Heyes, so you don't get to lie to me. You do what you want, I ain't sticking round to watch.”

He gathered his things together and stalked to the hotel room door and walked out without looking back even as he heard Heyes asking him to just hold up.

XXX

He stood facing a man in the dusty street of a tiny town in South Texas and whispered to himself, “there ain't nothin' to be scared of.” He stomach flipped as he drew his weapon and fired, intending to wound, but he watched breathlessly as the man who had called him out, fell to the ground dead.  

The Kid stared wondering why the man had twisted, all he had needed to do was stay still and he'd be alive. He turned to get away, but was soon surrounded by the man's idiot friends and didn't know much of anything for a while, until he woke up in the doctor's office.

“Boy, I think if you can walk, you better get out of here as I ain't sure if I can stop 'em killing you.”

XXX

“You're leadin' the Devil's Hole Gang?” Kid stared at his old friend in shock as he grinned at him.

“Yup, Kid, I sure am...you can join me if ya want, but I'm telling you, while the gang ain't as bad as some and your speed with that gun is gonna help, robbing banks and trains ain't easy, got a lot that can go wrong. Even with me planning them.”

“So what you're saying is I oughta just walk away?”

“No, Kid I ain't saying that at all, just warning you.”

“Can't be much worse than dodgin' gunfights and least I'll have someone I can talk to.”

Heyes' eyes lit up. “Now that's the spirit. I'll introduce ya to the rest of the gang.”

XXX

“C'mon, Heyes, there ain't nothing to be scared of. I think you're just being a coward or maybe you just don't like other folk havin ideas.”

Mort Graham, one of the gang members least accepting of Heyes being leader, was trying to persuade him to pull a job, that he'd said no to at least four times. Kid stared at the other gang members assembled in the bunkhouse searching their faces for which way they intended to go. Most of them looked unconvinced by what the fool was saying, but three maybe four seemed willing to be persuaded.

Heyes looked round at the men too, his hands on his hips. “I ain't stopping you Mort, but if you pull the job you're gonna do it without me.”

Three Men Arrested-One dead

A failed bank robbery led to the fatal shooting of one man and the arrest of three others on Thursday.

Heyes sipped his whiskey and read the newspaper with a sigh before pushing it over to Kid. “I tried to tell him...”

Kid scanned the paper Heyes had thrust in his hands and looked up. “Mort is an idiot, Heyes, he'll have a lot of time to think about the fact he should a listened to you in Laramie.”

XXX

After they arrived back at their hotel, they stared at each other for a few minutes as they considered the news Lom had brought them. When Heyes didn't speak, his gaze far away, the Kid cleared his throat and asked quietly. “You think we oughta forget the whole thing, Heyes?”

Heyes drawn out of his thoughts looked over at him, a faint smile on his lips as he replied. “Probly so Kid, plenty to be scared of, no gang to back us up, likely to be broke most of time and not to mention them posses. Be sensible to just rob a bank and high-tail it to South America.”

Kid smiled as he said. “But we ain't gonna are we?”

Heyes laughed out loud, “No, Kid we ain't gonna...bein' sensible ain't never been our strong point.”

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Dan Ker, Gemhenry, Kattayl and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...    October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 8:34 pm

This challenge is a continuation of my October 21 challenge with the same name. You can read that one first at https://asjfanfic.forumotion.com/t1161-october-2021-nothing-to-be-scared-of

Nothing to be scared of ...  

Hannibal Heyes coughed as he shivered while buttoning his jacket.

Kid Curry followed behind keeping an eye on his partner.  It was a nice day and not chilly enough to wear a coat.

Heyes stretched as much as he could while riding and coughed.

“Heyes?”

“Hmmm…”

“You okay?”

“Of course, I’m okay.  Why do you ask?”

“Just appears you’re not feelin’ the best.”

Heyes sat a little taller in the saddle.  “I’m fine.”

Several hours later, it was apparent that Hannibal Heyes was anything but fine.  He slouched in the saddle and was now coughing more often.  Curry caught up to him and noticed beads of sweat trickling down his friend's forehead while he shivered.

“You sure you’re okay?” asked the concerned partner.

“I’m…okay…just…tired,” came out a labored response.

“Sure, you are.  What’s the next town?”

Heyes thought a moment.  “I…think…Jefferson.”

“That sounds about right.  Probably about three hours?

“Yeah.  Why?

“That’s where we’re headed.  No trail tonight.  You need a bed.”  The Kid furrowed his brow.  “Think you can make it that far?”

“You…stay…on…”

“Yeah, I know.  You stay on your horse, and I’ll stay on mine.”

An hour later, Heyes was swaying in his saddle and having difficulty breathing.

“Heyes, stop.”  Curry dismounted.

“Why?”

“I’m comin’ up there behind you.”

“I’m…”

“You’re NOT okay and you’re about to fall off your horse.  Now stop complainin’ and kick your feet outta the stirrups.”

Heyes shivered and relented, allowing his partner to climb on his horse behind him.

The Kid tied his gelding’s reins to the saddle horn before getting up and settled.  “Okay, now give me your reins.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Jefferson was closed up for the night with the exception of the several saloons.  A drunk staggered out of one of them.

“Hey, does this town have a doctor?” Curry asked, his partner barely conscious and leaning back against him.

“Yeah.  Dr. Morgan.”  The man hiccupped and pointed down the street.  “House with the white pic…hic…ket fence.”

The Kid glanced in the direction and saw a picket fence towards the end.  “Thanks.”

Curry rode down the street and noticed a neat house with a sign out front that read: Doctor Jonathan Morgan.  He leaned Heyes forward and carefully got down.  He quickly tied the horses to the hitching post and grabbed Heyes as he slid out of the saddle.

Kid Curry carried his unconscious partner up to the door and “knocked” with his boot.

A woman wearing a robe pulled back a lace curtain, peeked out, and then quickly opened the door.  “What’s wrong with him?”

“Sorry to bother you and the doctor this late, ma’am.  I think he has the grippe.”

“Follow me.”  She led them down a hall and opened the second door.  “Let me light the lamp.  There’re two beds so you can lay him on one of them.  Do you see them in the dark?”

“I do.  Thank you, ma’am.”  The Kid laid Heyes on a bed.  “Is the doctor here?”

“Unfortunately, my husband is at the Lang farm.  Baby number four is coming any minute, if not already.”  The woman lit a lantern and placed the glass chimney back on it.  “Oh my!”

“Ma’am?”

She slightly shook her head.  “Nothing.  Nothing at all.”  She put a hand to Heyes’ forehead.  “He definitely has a fever, and it sounds like he’s having difficulty breathing.”  She went to the door.  “I’m going to get some cool water and a rag for his fever and get some water boiling for a breathing treatment.”

“What can I do?” the Kid asked.

“Remove all his clothing except his long johns and cover him up.  I’ll be back and you can start wiping down his face and arms with the cool water.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Mrs. Morgan or Maggie.”

Curry nodded.  “I’m Thaddeus Jones and that’s my friend Joshua.”

“Well, Thaddeus Jones, I’m not the doctor, but I’ve learned quite a bit being the doctor’s wife.  We’ll make Joshua comfortable until my husband comes home.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Morgan.”

When Maggie returned with a bowl of chilled water and a cloth, Curry had just tucked the blanket over Heyes’ bare chest.

“You can keep his fever down by wiping his face and arms with a wet cloth.  I’m going to make a mustard plaster for his chest, and I have water boiling for a breathing treatment.”

“A breathing treatment?”

“I’ll have you sit him up as much as possible and we’ll have him breathe the steam with some eucalyptus and mint leaves and lavender buds.”

Kid Curry wet the cloth and began wiping Heyes’ face.

“I’ll be back shortly.”  Mrs. Morgan was about to leave the room, but hesitated.  “Mr. Jones, can I get you something?  I’m guessing you were traveling when your friend got sick.”

Curry smiled.  “You’re right.  A glass of water, please.”

“Anything else?”

“That’ll be enough.”

About fifteen minutes later, Maggie Morgan came back into the room with a large tray.  Curry quickly took it from her and set it on a dresser nearby.

“I made you a sandwich to go with that water.  While you eat, I’ll apply the mustard plaster I prepared on his chest, and then you can help with wrapping the linen and the breathing treatment.”

Curry’s stomach growled at the smell of food.  “Thank you.  I guess I am a tad hungry.”  He sat on a chair near the tray and began to eat.

Maggie smiled as she lowered the blanket and began applying the mustard plaster to Heyes’ bare chest.  A few minutes later, she placed a large cloth over the mustard.  “Are you ready to lift him up some so I can wrap strips of linen around his chest to keep this in place?”

“Just finished eatin’.”  The Kid went over to the other side of the bed and lifted Heyes’ torso from the bed while the doctor’s wife wrapped strips around his chest.

“There!  Now I’ll get the hot water and herbs.  Can you get a towel out from the bottom drawer of the dresser?”

“Sure.”  Kid Curry set his partner down, got a towel and laid it on the bed.  He took the cool cloth and wiped down his face and arms, again.

A few minutes later, Maggie returned with a steaming pan smelling with the strong herbs.

“I think it might be best if you get behind Joshua and let him lean back against you.  We can put the water on the side of the bed and use the towel so Joshua has to breathe in the steam and herbs.  This should help his breathing.”

“Okay.”  Kid Curry lifted his partner, again, and slid in behind him so that he leaned back against him.  “Like this?”

“Yes.  Now holding him, you lean forward.  I’m going to place the towel over his head.  Sorry, but it won’t be too comfortable for you.  Only have to do this for about fifteen minutes.”

“I’m fine as long as it’s helpin’ Joshua.”

“Joshua… That’s not the name I remember.”

“Ma’am?”

“Hannibal Heyes is how he introduced himself, Kid Curry.”

Curry’s eyes widened and he drew a sharp breath.

“Oh, there’s nothing to be scared of; I’m not going to turn you in.  Hmmm… In fact, you said those same words to me, but you said there’s nothing to be scared of – I won’t hurt you.”

The Kid sighed.  “Let me guess.  A train robbery?”

Maggie nodded.  “I’m sure you don’t remember me.  One of the outlaws removed me from the rest of the passengers…”

“And began forcin’ himself on you behind the rock.  I remember and I’m so sorry.  He was a new member and was warned ahead of time that we don’t hurt the passengers or take anything from them.”

“I’m just relieved you came to my rescue when you did.”  Maggie checked on Heyes and continued, “You gave me your jacket to cover my torn dress.”

“It was the least I could do.”

“My Jon still uses it today.”

“You kept it?”

“I did.  It was a nice leather jacket and I felt secure when you covered me with it.”

“Kid?” came a weak raspy voice from under the towel.

“’Kay…”

“Why Joshua and Thaddeus Jones?” Maggie asked.

“We gave up bein’ outlaws and are tryin’ to live honest lives.”

“Oh, that’s why I haven’t read about you in the paper.  Well, there have been articles about a murder and some robberies, but shortly afterwards an article comes out saying it wasn’t the two of you.”

“Yeah, we’ve been blamed for several crimes we didn’t do so we try to clear our names.”

“But you’re still wanted, correct?”

“Yes, we are.”

“That must be difficult.”

“You have no idea, ma’am… Mrs. Morgan.”

Maggie smiled.  “My Jon knows, of course, what happened; however, I will use Joshua and Thaddeus Jones when he returns.  It’ll be our secret.”

“We appreciate that.”

“His treatment should be over now.  You can lay him back down.”  Maggie got up and listened to Heyes’ breathing.  “Seems he’s breathing a little easier.  We’ll do another one in the morning, which is only a few hours away.”  She yawned.  “I’m going to get some sleep and I suggest you do the same.  You can use that other bed against the wall.  Hopefully Jon… Dr. Morgan will be here in the morning.  He may have more ideas to help Joshua.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Morgan… for everything.”

“You're welcome.”  She turned to leave, then pivoted back.  “Oh, and we keep our horses over at the livery.  Your horses should be okay in the front of the house until the morning.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, after taking their horses to the livery, Kid Curry bathed a still unconscious Heyes with cool water.

“Maggie, honey, I’m home!” came a deep voice from the front door.  “Mrs. Lang finally got a baby girl and both are doing fine.”

Maggie came down the stairs dressed and yawning.  “I’m so happy for them.”

“Didn’t you get any sleep?” Dr. Morgan asked his wife as he gave her a kiss.

“I got some.  We have a patient with grippe in the sick room.”

“With grippe?”  Morgan took off his jacket and hat.  “Is he okay?”

“Uh huh.  His friend stayed with him last night.”

The Morgans knocked and entered the sick room while the Kid rinsed the now warm cloth in the cool water.

“Good morning, I’m Dr. Morgan.”  He walked into the room and went over to the bed.

“Thaddeus Jones and that’s my friend Joshua.”

“How long has he been sick?”

“He was coughin’ a lot yesterday mornin’ on the trail and looked uncomfortable.”

“Probably aching.”

“By early afternoon I could tell he had a fever, but Joshua was bein’ stubborn.”

“Most men are when they’re sick.”

Maggie joined her husband.  “Mr. Jones and I did a mustard wrap and a steam treatment last night after they arrived.”

“Good.  Good thinking, Maggie.”  The doctor pulled a stethoscope from his bag and listened to Heyes’ chest.  “Still a lot of congestion.”

“I’ll start boiling water for another treatment and make some coffee.”

“Perfect!”

“Can I do something?” Curry asked.

“Just keep bathing him.  We have to get that fever down more.”

“He’s gonna be okay, though?”  The Kid started wiping his partner’s face again.

Dr. Morgan touched Curry’s arm.  “I’m sure he’ll be just fine in a few days.  He’s young and seems strong.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A week later, Kid Curry sat on his horse and adjusted his hat while waiting for his weak partner, struggling to mount his mare.

“Are you sure you’re up to leavin’ today?” the Kid asked, concerned.

Heyes slowly made his way into the saddle.  Panting, he huffed, “You worry about staying on your horse, and I’ll worry about staying on mine.”  He sat up and grasped the reins.

“Yeah, I'm worried alright,” Curry muttered, not convinced they should be leaving so soon.

Maggie Morgan came out of her house and walked over to the two men.  “I wanted to say goodbye to you two.  I suppose you might be wondering how long it’ll be until I tell someone that you’re Hannibal Heyes.”

Heyes stared at her, shocked.  “What?”

“You haven’t told your friend?” Maggie glanced at the Kid.

“Ahhh, no, ma’am; I thought I’d tell him later when he was feelin’ a little better.”

Heyes turned to face his partner and the two made eye contact.  “Alright.  How did she know?” he asked accusingly.

“From us bein’ arrogant and introducin’ ourselves durin’ a train robbery.  The one with Floyd Baker.”

“She’s the…”

“Uh huh.”

“Oh.”  Heyes turns to face her.  “I’m really sorry about that, ma’am.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about.  The fact that you turned in your own man made us all realize you had nothing to do with it and didn’t approve of what he did.”

Mrs. Morgan smiled and put a hand up to shield her eyes from the sun.  “I meant it when I said you have nothing to be scared of.  No one will ever hear it from me.  Goodbye, Mr. Curry.”

“Goodbye, and thank you for everything, Mrs. Morgan.” The Kid tipped his hat.

“Goodbye, Mr. Heyes.”

“Goodbye, Mrs. Morgan,” Heyes gave her a nod.  “And I'd like to add my thanks to my partner's.”

Maggie put her hands on her hips.  “If you ever come by this way again, you’ll be Joshua Smith and Thaddeus Jones – and you’ll be very welcome.”

“It's nice to know we have a friend who knows all about us and still puts out the welcome mat.”  Curry grinned.

Heyes and the Kid reined their horse to the left and rode slowly out of Jefferson.

Still mulling over the way things had worked out in their favor, Curry spoke aloud.  “You know what, Heyes?”

“What?”  His expression quizzical, Heyes turned to look at his partner.

“Because we did the right thing back at that train robbery and saved Mrs. Morgan from bein' hurt, she was able to help save you when we needed her.”

Heyes nodded.  “Yep, you're right.  Sometimes the odds are in our favor, but more often than not, the odds are against us.  Let's not make a habit out of it, alright?”  He grinned.

Curry answered with a grin of his own and the two continued their way along the trail.

Dan Ker, Gemhenry, rachel741, Kattayl and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

PostSubject: Nothing to be scared of 2   October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 9:34 pm

October 2022 Challenge

Outlaw Days

The small town of Drew was the perfect place for the gang to meet after they robbed the Bank of Bare Creek.  Heyes and Curry had checked out the town twice in the last six weeks.  It was a crossroads for three stage lines and two major roads so during the day there was a lot of activity and strangers in the town.  Its population was less than two hundred but was big enough that it had three hotels and two mercantiles, and three saloons.  And a back-alley crap game that Heyes found when walking late one night.  On their second visit, Heyes booked rooms in each of the three hotels under different names.  

Planned down to the minute, the bank robbery needed six people.  Besides the leaders, Heyes chose Wheat, Kyle, Hank, and Little Fingers to go, all men he trusted.  Little Fingers pretended to be drunk.  Stumbling into the head clerk as he left the bank, Little Fingers gently worked the keys out of his pocket and slipped them to Hank walking behind him.  Then Little Fingers convinced the head clerk to have a drink with him as an apology.  

With Wheat watching the front door from across the street and Kyle watching the back, Hank unlocked the back door of the bank.  Curry took his position by the window and watched the street and the time.  Heyes caressed the safe and smiled at her as he sat in front of her.  He listened carefully and she was open in four minutes revealing the expected railroad payroll.  They were out of there two minutes early.  Hank locked the door and went to the bar where Little Fingers slipped the keys back into the bank clerk’s pocket.  The gang split into groups of two and headed for Drew.

It was there that everything went wrong.  

It rained, not a little light rain, but a full-on surprise Wyoming rainstorm.  

“Heyes, you got that money where it ain't getting’ wet?” Curry asked as he pulled his sherpa coat collar up high.”

“It will be the last thing that stays dry.”

“That don’t make me feel any better,” Curry said.

“Should, this rain’s gonna stop soon.  Look at the clouds breaking ahead.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Although the rain had cleared, the streets of Drew were running with mud when the leaders of the Devil’s Hole Gang arrived just after dark.

“Heyes, this don’t look like the same city and I’m not just talkin’ about the mud.”  Curry leaned over on his horse to whisper to his cousin.

Surveying the main street, Heyes nodded.  “Way too many people here.”

“Too many men here, Heyes, and a good portion of them is wearin’ badges.”

Cautiously, they took their horses to the livery.  “Two horses board and feed for the night fifty cents each,” a voice called from the back.  “Only got space for two more.”

Heyes looked into the stall where the voice came from.  “Never saw Drew so crowded, sir.  What’s going on?” he asked ever so politely.

“Interviews for US Marshals.  Never heard of such a thing, but they are trying to give everyone a chance at the job,” the liveryman explained.  “Town ain’t used to this many people.  You got reservations?”

“Yes, sir, we do.”

“Then you're one of the lucky ones.  Men gonna be sleeping all over the benches and doorways tonight.  Even keeping the saloons open until eleven tonight.”  He was shaking his head as he took their horses.

As they walked to the hotel, across the street, a buggy slipped sideways in the river of mud that was now main street.  The wheel clipped Curry’s ankle and he sat down in a deep puddle of mud.  The righted buggy kept on down the street.  Two men joined a laughing Heyes to offer a hand to help him stand up.  

Curry growled then looked around urgently.  “Partner, my gun!”  Curry knelt in the muck and started feeling around as the dark of the night melded with the mud to render their eyes useless.  

“Nothin’ to be scared of.  I got it.”  Heyes held up the gun dripping of the mud that seemed to have penetrated every section of the weapon.  “Didn’t you have the leather guard on from your holster fastened?”

“Always do, but…”  The Kid showed Heyes one end of the broken loop.  “Must’ve broke in the fall.”

Holding the gun at arm’s length, Curry waited while Heyes checked Mr. Joseph Slattery  and Mr. Daniel Williams into their room.  He spread a towel on the small table and started to take the gun apart before he even cleaned the hardening mud from his face.  

“Kid, clean up a bit.  Leave that for later. We need to meet the boys in the diner.”  

Ten minutes later, with a change of clothes, Curry stayed alert while following his partner down the stairs.  “Hey…Joseph, I feel naked without a gun and all these wanna be marshals.”

“Here take mine for now.”

“When’s the last time this was cleaned?” Curry asked as he spun it around before settling it in his holster.

“Last time you did it.”

ASJ*****ASJ

Nervous with so many would be marshals everywhere, Heyes gave instructions to leave in the same groups of two and be careful.  If this was an open invitation, there were probably would-be marshals camping on every road into Drew.  Just the thought of them made Curry nervous, although only Heyes knew him well enough to tell.  Wheat was wary but playing it lowkey.  Kyle couldn’t sit still.  

Heyes leaned close to Wheat.  “Get your food to go and get Kyle out of here.  He’s so nervous he’s drawing attention to us.”  There seemed to be a large boisterous group standing just outside the front door.

“Shooting contest tomorrow.  Let’s see what you can do, hotshot.”  The men were gathered around a man in his twenties, dressed neatly in black.  Heyes closed his eyes and nudged Curry.  Glancing over his shoulder, Curry turned back around quickly and scooted his chair around, so his back was to the door.

“Francis One-Shot Sheldon?” he whispered to Heyes.

“Sheriff Francis One-Shot Sheldon of Victory Springs,” Heyes repeated.

Kyle’s mouth fell open.  “Didn’t the Kid get into a shootin’ contest with him last year…and lost?”

Curry growled,   Dan Williams got into a shootin’ contest with him and lost on purpose.  Was hard to do.  The man can’t hit nothing he aims at.  Still don’t know if he would remember me.”

“Aw, Kid, how could he forget?” Heyes teased.

Electing to skip the gathering crowd and go to their room, Heyes and Curry slipped out the back door and into the middle of the crap game.  The players started to run.

“Boys, we don’t mean you no harm.  Go on playing,” Heyes said with a charming, dimpled smile.  “We’re just passing through.”

Every set of eyes watched them as they tried to step carefully around the small pile of bets on the ground.  

“Sorry for the interruption; enjoy your game!”  Heyes waved as he turned the corner onto the street and into Curry’s back.  

“Well, if it isn’t Dan Williams.”  Heyes recognized the voice of Sheriff One-Shot Sheldon.  “Care to shoot with me?”

“Well, One-Shot, I think we already had that contest, and you were the winner.”  Curry’s voice was low as he looked over the men in front of him.  

Heyes had gone to stand on the other end of the group, with a small grin on his face, but this was serious.  Some of these men were lawmen.  They might put the two drifters in Drew together with the names Heyes and Curry.

Curry felt himself being pushed in the middle of the crowd toward a corral with bottles set on it.  “Let’s go for it, Mr. Williams.”  

The partners had learned the had earned the nickname one shot because he never hit anything with just one shot.  He liked the name and kept it telling people he could hit anything in one shot.  

One-Shot went first, hitting two of the six bottles and knocking one off the fence.

Curry concentrated on finding another target to aim at.  He drew quickly and fired six quick shots scattering the men watching.  He hit everything to his left.  The livery building, the fence, and a couple went in the dirt where the crowd had been standing.  

Visibly shaken, Curry stared at the gun in his hand.  He saw Wheat in the back of the crowd with a satisfied smile.  

“Don’t worry, Williams, you can’t win them all.  That’s why I’m gonna be one of the ones they pick to train as a United States Marshall.”  One-Shot patted him on the back.  “Better luck next time.  Practice some and we’ll shoot again next time our paths cross.”

As the crowd dispersed, Heyes came to stand next to Curry.  They both stared at the gun in his hand.  “Hey…Joe, how do you ever shoot this gun?”

“I don’t need to very often.  That’s why I hang around you.”

Curry turned to Heyes.  His cornflower blue eyes darkened with anger.

“Daniel, let’s get back to the hotel before someone hears about that great shooting and thinks you’re Kid Curry,” he teased, but Curry stayed angry.

In the hotel, Curry threw the offending weapon on Heyes bed.  “What if our lives had depended on that gun, Heyes?  Have you ever thought of that?”  The Kid's voice rose but fell when he realized the walls might be thin.  “I’d have shot better with my gun full of mud.”

Heyes went to pick up the gun.  

“Leave it there.  When I finish cleanin’ my gun, I’ll clean yours…and fix it.  I ain’t never shot a gun with trigger creep like that one.  You aim forward and it shoots left, and the trigger is so gritty you almost pull it twice.”

“Maybe that’s why you say I twist when I shoot.  I correct the creep.”

Curry looked sternly at Heyes, but his eyes had calmed.  “So, if I fix the creep, you won’t be able to shoot straight,” he teased.  

They both laughed hearty deep laughs until Curry thought about the story Wheat would be telling the gang when they returned.  

Penski and Dan Ker like this post

Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...    October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2022 8:23 pm

Not for polling -the word count got away from me and I don't have time to go back and pare it down. This is part one. I have more written but it's not completely finished and it seemed the best place to break.

October 2022 Challenge

Nothing to be Scared About

Kanab, UT

BANG! BANG! BANG!

“Oh my God! He shot him!”

“Is he dead? He was moving as fast as he could. You didn’t need to do that”

“Not fast enough. Now hurry up and fill those bags or one of you will be next!”

“Why you..”

BANG

“Hey, the last man standin’, iffin ya still want to be standin’ an’ not bleedin’ on the floor like those two, get a move on. NOW!” The blond gunman turned slightly towards the dark-haired man beside him and a light-colored eye winked above the red bandana covering the rest of his face. He tossed over his shoulder, “The rest of you, get the horses and shoot anyone who comes runnin’. Someone is bound to have heard those shots. We’ll be right behind ya.”

~~~~~~~~~~~ASJ~~~~~~~~~~~

Kid Curry was tired. He was hot, thirsty, hungry, and very dusty when he rode into Kanab, Utah at the end of a very long day. He hoped that Heyes arrived from Iron City before him but didn’t expect it. Unaccountably uneasy, he hesitated for a moment, senses on alert, while he mopped his sweaty brow with his red bandana. The blond stuffed the cloth square half into his pocket and continued slowly into town. He turned down a small street that ran parallel to the main thoroughfare, listening to the part of him demanding caution until the situation could be more thoroughly scoped out.

Kid dismounted at the livery. He studied the horses in the corral, looking for Heyes’ chestnut gelding and not finding him. He secured his horse to the corral and went in search of the liveryman, glancing at the stalls on his search.

“Hello, anyone here?”

A tall rangy older man peered out of a room at the back of the barn. He studied his new customer closely before ducking back into the room, calling “Be right with ya.”

Curry watched a young boy scoot around the man, who reappeared in the doorway and run out the back door. His attention was brought back to the liveryman.

“What can I do for ya?”

Arrangements were made for Kid’s horse. The liveryman was banging feed buckets around, making a racket. Kid shook his head at the ruckus as he led his dark bay into his assigned stall. Curry was retrieving his saddle bags off the saddle when the hair on the back of his neck stood on edge. An unpleasant tingle of being watched rushed down his spine. His ears picked up the unmistakable sound of multiple firearms being cocked.

“Get your hands up where we can see them!”

Out of habit blue eyes scanned the surroundings and immediately registered the lack of options afforded by the livery stall. The ex-outlaw raised his hands above his head and slowly turned to face the sheriff, a deputy, and several assorted armed townsmen.

“You’re under arrest. Bill, get his gun and then we’ll cuff him and escort this piece of scum to the jail. You others keep your guns trained on him until we get him safely into the cell where he can join his partner.”

Kid felt a weight drop into the pit of his stomach at the mention of his partner, but he kept quiet as he was manhandled out of the livery.

The small group proudly paraded the manacled prisoner down main street. The men basking in the praises by onlookers who stood in doorways of the establishments and in the street to watch. Jeers, curses, and threats were shouted at the Kid, who kept his attention on the deputy’s back.

Crossing the threshold into a jail always caused a well-hidden sense of panic and doom, which was made worse by the mention of having his partner for company. It was harder to affect an escape plan without one of them on the outside. Blue eyes scanned the cells for Heyes, who he didn’t see. What he did see brought his sandy brows down in a frown over his suddenly slitted eyes. His shoulders stiffened and he resisted the hands pushing him forward into the unoccupied cell of the two.

“Now wait a minute. I haven’t done anythin’. Who do you think I am and what are the charges?”

The sheriff was intent on getting his dangerous prisoner safely behind bars and ignored the protest as he propelled him forward. The cell door clanged shut with a loud bang.

Bill, the deputy gave a low growl. “You’ve done plenty in this town last week and you’re stupider than I thought comin’ back, even to save your no good, murderous, thieven’ partner’s neck. Turn around and the sheriff will take the cuffs off.”

Kid stood with his back to the room, giving the prisoner in cell next to him the side eye while he placed his hands next to the bars.

The sheriff yanked Curry’s wrist roughly into the iron bars before unlocking the hand cuffs. He formally pronounced, “Vernon Bucks you are under arrest for murder, attempted murder, and armed bank robbery.” He then added in hard voice while looking the blond straight in the eyes, “Me and everyone in Kanab is goin’ to be happy to see you hung, just like your partner, Les, over there. I might even delay ole Lester Japer’s appointment with the hangman. It’ll be more satisfyin’ to have a double hangin’ for the leader and the gunman of the Jaspar gang.”

Kid paled and he gripped the bars tightly. “I’m not Vernon Bucks. My name is Thaddeus Jones and I’ve never set foot in Kanab, Utah before. And If I did rob the bank in this town, I wouldn’t be riding back into it in daylight, stablin’ my horse at the livery.”

The sheriff rubbed his whiskered chin before turning around, heading for his desk, determined to ignore the prisoner’s lies.

The deputy smiled and leaned against the wall, gloating over the capture of two notorious gang members. He laughed before his voice turned menacing. “You fit the description people gave of a tallish blond about medium build and weight. Light colored eyes. Of course, you always wear bandana’s covering your faces during robberies so no one’s got a good look of the rest of your face. But we can see the red bandana hanging out of that pocket there. Yep, you’re Vernon alright.”

“There’s lots of people that fit that description. I…”

The sheriff interrupted from across the room. “Shut up. I have paperwork to do. Plus, I don’t hear your pal Les there denyin’ it. If you have official type proof you’re Thaddeus Jones you can talk to the judge pre-trail.”

The dark-haired powerfully built man in the next cell rose from his bunk and ambled over to the bars separating the two cells. He half turned from the room, so his face was hidden from the lawmen. Les Jasper’s dark eyes bored into the blond and his face set into a threatening expression which belayed the disgusted resigned tone of his voice, “Give it up Vern. They got us. It had to end sometime, friend.”

“Tell it to the judge and jury. But they’ll see through your lies.” The deputy pushed himself off the wall and joined the sheriff on the other side of the room.

Kid kept his poker face, but his blue eyes turned ice cold as he held the brown eyes of the outlaw. “It’s not endin’ for me. I ain’t your friend or your gunman.”

Les was the first to break eye contact as he whispered under his breath, “Nothin’ to be scared of Curry. Stay quiet and I won’t have to tell them who they really have. You may not be a known killer but you’re still a big-time outlaw. I’ll even admit you and your partner are more of a prize than me and Vern. We’ll talk more when those two ain’t liable to listen.’” He returned to the cot, laid down, and closed his eyes.

Hours later Kid was laying on the narrow cot, staring at the ceiling, his mind racing and listening to the increasingly noisy crowd gathering outside the jail. He put aside his worry for himself and wondered where his partner was and what exactly Heyes would find and do when he finally did arrive from Iron City.

The deputy nervously peered out the barred front window. He worriedly looked over at his shoulder toward the cells as the shouts for immediate action against the murderers inside. He wished the sheriff would hurry back from his late-night rounds. Guarding two such dangerous outlaws that had drawn the anger of the entire town was not what he wanted to be doing this night.

Les Jasper had dragged his cot to the side nearest to his fellow prisoner. He sat with his back to the wall looking out into the main room of the jail. Les pitched his voice low and with confidence not warranted by his situation spoke to the Kid. “Don’t’ look so worried, Curry. Like I said earlier there’s nothin’ to be scared off in this one-horse town. My partner, my real partner is comin’ to break me out with the rest of the gang. Probably tonight possibly tomorra.”

Blue eyes flicked sideways, “If we have a tomorrow. Maybe, I will let you tell them who I am once I decide if bein’ hanged by a lynch mob is better or worse than twenty years in prison.”

Jasper gave a snort of laughter. “We ain’t gonna hang. My boys are gonna come a shootin’. Of course, when they get here if you want to stay in your cell that’ll be fine with me. Vern may have different ideas, though. He’s got a mighty powerful grudge against you. I’m guessin’ he gonna insist you come with us and shoot it out with ya later. He’s been practicin’ with you in mind and has the speed of the wind now.”

Kid opened his mouth to respond but shut it quickly at the sudden opening of the back door of the jail.

The sheriff strode rapidly in and went straight to the rifle rack on the wall. He took out his keys and unlocked the rack. Grabbing a rifle for himself, he then tossed one to his deputy who had moved from the window to the middle of the room. The sheriff then quickly crossed to the desk, opened a drawer and removed boxes of cartridges, stuffing a box in his pocket and tossing one to Bill. Lastly, he withdrew two pairs of handcuffs.

Kid Curry and Les Japser had moved to the front of their cells and silently watched the sheriff. The two outlaws shared a puzzled and concerned look between them.

The Sheriff grabbed the gaping deputy, shoved the cuffs into his hands and dragged him over to the cells. He ordered with a more than a hint of urgency in his growl. “Come up to the bars boys so Bill can cuff your hands. The crowd is getting nasty, too riled up, and is bigger than the two of us can safely handle.”

“What are talking about sheriff?” Les demanded as the deputy cuffed his hands before moving onto the Kid.

“My duty is to legally see you hanged, Jasper. You too, Bucks, soon enough. Lynchin’ aint legal but I’m not gonna fire into a crowd of my neighbors to protect the likes of you. Bill and I are gonna take you the back way to the livery. The tack room there has a good, strong, solid door and lock with no other way in or out. You should be safe enough there until I can calm the crowd down or they wind down on their own.”

All four men inside the jail froze at the closeness of the shouting from the rapidly growing mob.

“Come on, we don’t have much time. I’m doin’ you a kindness by cuffing your hands in front so we can move more quickly before the mob gets wind you’ve been moved. Iffin’ we think you’re even thinkin’ of runnin’ Bill and I will shoot you both in the back with no regrets. Although, that would be a quicker death than the two of you deserve. Now get goin’.”

Bill unlocked the cell doors and with a rifle in their left hands and their pistol in their right hands prodded the two outlaws out the jail’s back door into the moonlit night.

A group of unsavory hard-bitten individuals rode unnoticed into Kanab.  The leader of the pack held his hand up as his light-colored eyes caught site of the unruly mob gathering down the main street. Undiscernible shouting could be heard drifting up towards the Jaspar Gang.

“Well Vern, looks like we have a readymade diversion.”

Flint gray eyes darted to the side and then back down the street. “Yeah, maybe we can make this work for us. The lawmen will busy in front, and we’ll bust in the back to free Les. And if there’s a problem it will be like shootin’ fish in a barrel the way all they’re all close together.”

The Jasper Gang veered to side and filed quietly into the dark dusty street that ran behind the buildings on the main street. The soft clomping of the horses, the creaking of leather from the saddles and of men pulling sidearms from holsters were drowned out by the noise of the angry mob in the main street. They kept in the deep darkness on the side of the seemingly deserted street, avoiding the moonlit center.

In the front of the gang Vernon Bucks suddenly straighten in his saddle. He pushed his dirty blond hair out of his eyes to peer intently at the four shadowy forms slinking further down the back alley towards the other end of town. The metal clanking of chains rang softly out in the dark, the harsh sound funneled up the alley by the closeness of the buildings. “They are sure making it easy for us. We don’t even have to bust into the jail.”

“Who’s the other guy with Les? Do we shoot him too or just the lawmen?”

“Just the lawmen for now but we’re here for Les. Nobody else matters. Got it” the Jaspar Gang’s gunmen stated menacing and unequivocally. Let’s go!”

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BAMG! BANG!

The Jaspar Gang came thundering down the back way with their guns blazing.

“UGHHHH! I’m hit.” The deputy fell flat on his face as his left leg gave out on him. The rifle went flying out of his hand and skidded into the middle of the street. He managed to push Les Jaspar down and lay sprawled across Jaspar’s legs. He was able to twist around and emptied his revolver in the general direction of the unwelcome on comers.

“Get to cover!” The sheriff yelled, pushing Kid in front of him and closer to the back of the general store.  Kid crouched down behind a full barrel of chicken feed. He quickly sized up the situation. He tugged at the handcuffs to no avail. The eight inches of chain between the cuffs severely limited his preferred options. The sheriff was crouched beside him and firing at the incomers.

Bullets were flying around, ricocheting off the buildings. Neither the Jaspar Gang nor the lawmen were taking the time to aim. The lawmen were pinned down and the gang members were visible targets in the open. One of the gang members reeled in his saddles, fell off and landed heavily, bleeding out in the dirt. Vernon Bucks was swerving closer, leading a saddled horse ready for his gang leader to jump on. The sheriff and the deputy had the spare cartridge boxes spilled out on the ground next to them. The sheriff’s rifle was lying on the ground just out of reach of the Kid.

Les Jaspar managed to free himself from under Bill, the deputy and stood up. He waved his manacled hands at the gang. “Vern, over here.”  He turned towards where the Kid and the Sheriff had taken cover. “It’s now or never Curry, make your choice.  I told you my boys would come through.”

Bill reached out and grabbed Les’ ankle, causing him to drop to the dirt, cursing. His shooting became even more erratic as the deputy divided his attention to hindering his prisoner’s escape and defending himself.

“Umppf.” The sheriff groaned in pain, grabbed his right shoulder and leaned back onto his heels. Warm blood ran between his fingers. His right hand dropped to the ground; the gun still held in frozen fingers.

Kid pulled the sheriff further behind the barrels and shuffled forward on his knees. “Give me your gun.”

“No.”

“I’m not Vernon Bucks, can’t you see that now. Do you want to die? Give me your gun.” Kid ducked back as two shots skimmed the end of the barrel, sending a spray of wood splinters and chicken feed their way. He managed to get off his knees and onto his feet.

“No, I don’t want to die but…”

The sound of rushing feet and more guns being fired drew the attention of the gang and the law. Armed townsfolk from the crowd in front of the sheriff’s office were starting to run to see what was happening.

“The Jaspar Gang!”

“Get them, the murderous thugs!”

“Don’t let them get away this time!”

Kid spun around to face the sheriff. He spoke furiously, “Give me your gun. People are going to die if you don’t.” He didn’t wait for the sheriff’s reply and yanked the revolver from the lawman with his still handcuffed right hand. The infamous gunman grabbed a handful of bullets from the blood splatter dirt with his left hand as the right was already opening the gate. Skillful fingers loaded the Colt in a blink of an eyes and the Colt was raised in a two-handed steady grip.

Bang! Bang!

The two nearest outlaws, who had been aiming up the nearest alleyway drooped to the ground, writhing in pain. Their horses bolted down the street and out of view.

More shots came from the deputy and from the sheriff who managed to fire once using the rifle before dropping the long gun once more into the dirt.

Horses wheeled and the remaining members of the Jaspar Gang took positions on the other side of the street as best they could.  Vernon Bucks was closest to the defender’s location shielded by his horse and a large red rock boulder. Bucks had the reins of two horses firmly in hand.

Les Jasper eyed the deputy. The junior lawman’s paleness was visible even in moonlight. Les smiled. The deputy wasn’t gonna last much longer and the sheriff was also wounded. He glanced to his side across the gap. He couldn’t see clearly but the sheriff’s posture didn’t indicate much of a threat in his opinion.

Kid inched forward slightly, checking positions of the remaining gang members. He cocked his head listening to sounds coming from behind and to the left of him. It sounded like some of the angry townspeople were still coming cautiously down the alley. They were about to get their head’s blown off.

He fired a few shots at the Jasper gang to keep them back and behind their cover.

Curry spotted a supply wagon a little further up that would give him some cover and a much better angle of fire. He once again pulled his hands apart fruitlessly. “Where’s the key for these?” he demanded.

The sheriff didn’t answer as his head hung low.

Curry sighed impatiently. He prodded the man with his foot. “The key, hurry, I need the key to free my hands.”

The injured senior lawman lifted his head. Glassy eyes look blankly at the Kid. ”Huh? My keys? Can’t give my keys to an outlaw. I can’t…” his voice trailed off and his head dropped to his chest.

Giving the sheriff one last look of disgust, Curry scooped up the remaining ammunition, got into a crouch position ready to run. He took off for the wagon, shooting a covering pattern to keep everyone down.

Les saw his chance and as the Kid took off, he kicked the deputy hard and managed to get to his hands and feet then ran as fast as he could towards his gang’s gunman. He stooped down in the middle of the street and grabbed hold of the deputy’s rifle on his way.  He turned slightly as he cocked the rifle and took aim at the Kid. He faltered as red blossomed in the middle of his thigh and his shot hit the dirt a few feet in front his intended target. A few more steps were all he managed before falling in front of the rock providing cover for Vernon Bucks. The rifle slipped from his hand, was hit and skittered just out of his reach. He gave up the quest for the gun and yelled, “Vern, the shooter is Kid Curry. He ain’t workin’ with us.”

Les was able to regain his feet but tripped and had a hard time regaining his balance with his hands still in handcuffs. His leg buckled under him. The injured leader of the Jasper gang started to crawl towards the large boulder when a rifle crack was heard from the alley. Les Jasper jerked once and was still. Bright red stained the back of his shirt.

The kid, having reloaded took aim at the still shooting members of the Jasper Gang. Two of which recklessly stood at either end of a stack of lumber to getter a better angle down the alley. Two quick shots from Curry had them both down and still.

Men started to take shots from the edge of the alley before ducking back out of sight. Their anger at the bank robbery, serious injury of the head teller and senseless killing of the well-liked bank manager fueling their courage.

Vernon Bucks’ eyes widened in the dim light and his face hardened. Curry got the better of him once. He wasn’t going to let him get the better of him again. He muttered determinedly, “Curry’s a dead man.” As he watched the three still relatively uninjured gang members run for their horses. Two made it to mount and escape into the night. He inched himself around to the other side of the boulder. His line of sight was improved and he gave a small evil anticipatory smile upon spying the glint of metal around Kid Curry’s wrists and heard the telltale clinks of metal links when the Kid reloaded the revolver.

Kid raised his head from his task to check on the rapidly changing situation. He didn’t immediately see Bucks where he last saw him. Calm eyes quickly darted to the either side before glimpsing the tip of the brim of the Jaspar Gang’s gunman’s hat. The killer seemed to be the only gang member still capable and conscious in the area, although, he wouldn’t count on that until all the men on the ground were thoroughly checked. His focus now divided on the gunman across from him and the angry armed townsmen to the side of him.

Vernon Bucks popped up, stood square, gun aimed squarely at Kid Curry’s head, yelled, “See you in hell Curry.” and pulled the trigger simultaneously with his target. He staggered back in shock and sank back against the boulder, sliding slowly to the ground. Grey eyes glazing fast, the pistol fell from his hand as the left hand tentatively touched his red splattered chest before dropping to his lap lifelessly.

The guns were silenced. A quiet fell on the back street. The peace only lasted a moment before the mass of men from the alley rushed forward into the mess left by the gunbattle. Some men ran to the fallen outlaws and kicked the hardware away from them before checking to see if they were dead or still alive. Others rushed over to the injured lawmen. Still others gathered around the still handcuffed other prisoner and surrounded him with cocked firearms. A small group had him in their grasps, having retrieved the sheriff’s purloined pistol from the outlaws still steady right hand. A red-faced man stuffed a dirty handkerchief into Curry’s mouth as he started to protest. One had a rope fashioned into a noose and started to slip it over the struggling man’s neck.

“No!” called the deputy desperately. “He saved our lives, practically singled handed. Probably some of yours too. Never saw shooting like that before and in handcuffs, never would’ve believed it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.”

The mob of men looked over to the deputy skeptically but paused long enough to listen.

The injured lawman continued while his leg was being bound, “He’s not Vernon Bucks and never was part of the Jaspar Gang. We were mistaken on that.”

The man holding the rope noose around the man’s neck looked up. He looked into the prisoner’s eyes and was shocked to not see fear but an icy calm steadiness instead.

“I’m not Bucks. You’d be makin’ a mistake that you’d regret in the light of day. I’m not a cold-hearted killer like him.” The kid said as the handkerchief was pulled out of his mouth.

The noose was lifted off his neck. The general tenseness of the mob began to dissipate into concern for the injured, pride in their part, and satisfaction of the defeat and near annihilation of the murderous Jaspar Gang.

The sheriff roused as he was being lowered onto a makeshift stretcher for transport to the doctor’s office. He was able to prop himself up on his good side elbow to take in the surroundings. He had heard the deputy’s words to the crowd and needed to add in his own directions. He gestured to the burly man hovering by his feet.

“Joe, I’m appointing you acting sheriff until Bill and I are fit for duty. Get yourself an acting deputy or two. You’re gonna need it. That fella that done all the fancy shootin’ is Kid Curry, accordin’ to Les Jaspar and Vernon Bucks. Yeah, he ain’t exactly gonna admit who he is, most likely gonna give you some story about being Jones.” The sheriff’s voice was getting weaker and he needed to lower himself back down to catch his voice. Joe came closer to his head and nodded to the man holding the board at top to hold still. The sheriff continued, “Can’t ask the two no good outlaws how they know he’s Curry no more. Gotta hold him until we can get this straightened out. Lock him up again. The jail and cuff keys are in my right pants pocket. Keep a close eye on him, if he’s really Curry, he’s gotta history of escapin’” With that last piece of advice the sheriff’s eyes screwed up in pain before he once again dropped into unconsciousness.

There was renewed enthusiasm for dealing with the blond prisoner. Men started to slap their fellow men’s backs and congratulating themselves on having Kid Curry handcuffed and in their hands. The group who moments ago were intent on hanging the man they thought was the killer gunman Vernon Bucks now was intent on getting the infamous Fastest Gun in the West, Kid Curry into a locked jail cell as quick as they would have strung him up.

The Kid murmured to himself as he was being pushed and pulled back up the alley to the main street and into the jail, “Heyes, I sure hope you’re on your way. And partner when you get here be careful and think up a darn good plan to get me out of this. Hurry, I need you… again.”

TBC

Penski, Dan Ker, Gemhenry and rachel741 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...    October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October 2022 - Nothing to be scared of ...
Page 1 of 1