Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

June 22 Jubilee

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

June 22  Jubilee Empty
PostSubject: June 22 Jubilee   June 22  Jubilee Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 am

Hello, here I am late again ...

Well, today and tomorrow are Bank Holidays over the Herring Pond here in the old country.
Bunting is a hanging and I am off to a nice garden party on Saturday taking a Trifle and a Nice 'Twenty Photos of the Queen - what's the date? Quiz'

So, I think there can be only one topic for June's challenge

Have a think about

JUBILEE

(I do know US States and Towns celebrate Jubilees too, so ... there is scope lol2 )
Back to top Go down
rachel741

rachel741

June 22  Jubilee Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 22 Jubilee   June 22  Jubilee Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2022 12:53 pm

Feel free to ignore as this is posted elsewhere!

"I think you're cheating, it ain't natural how much you're winning.”

The Kid sighed as the very bad poker player seated to Heyes' left, stood angrily to confront him. This just wasn't fair, he'd been enjoying Bairstow and was still tired enough that another day of sleeping in a bed rather than out on hard ground, would have been very welcome. Maybe they'd be in luck, and this could be settled easily without causing them too much trouble.

Putting down his beer, the Kid pushed himself away from the bar to stand behind and to the right of his partner, his hand hovering round his gun, and realised as he got a better look at the man's face, that there was no way he would avoid having to draw. Before Heyes could even open his mouth and attempt to talk the man down, the yahoo went for his weapon.

There was a collective gasp from the other players and those now watching the drama unfold, when the Kid's colt had already cleared leather and was aimed straight at the man, before the idiot's gun was even fully in his hand.

From amongst the watchers, the Kid heard a muttered. “I thought I recognized those guys, it's Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry!”

“You're right, I recognise them now too. They robbed a train I were a passenger on.”

When a second voice chimed in to support the first, the Kid’s heart sank. Here we go again.

Heyes with a glance back at him and a small shrug, quickly gathered his winnings and together they ran out of town and didn't stop until they were a few miles away and up in the mountains, where they could see whatever was coming at them.

They lay safely hidden, with aching feet and likely blistered heels, watching as the quickly formed, but fortunately disorganised and ineffective posse, headed back towards town. The Kid glanced over at Heyes with a smile when as the riders faded from view, he heard a distant train whistle.

Heyes grinned back at him and started to stand. “I think that train is going our way, Kid.”

XXX

The Kid hanging precariously to the boxcar behind his partner, gasped, trying to breathe round the dust in his lungs, ignoring the ache in his arms, wincing as small stones flung up from the dusty ground stung his cheeks. With a sigh of relief, he managed to pull himself in after Heyes, who had finally managed to get enough purchase to swing inside. He landed awkwardly and stifled a groan when something twinged and clicked as he hit the filthy hay strewn floor. Damn he was getting too old for this.

The Kid shifted for the umpteenth time as the pain in his back and legs made it impossible to get comfortable awake, never mind settle enough to sleep. He stood carefully and hobbled to the other side of the car to try and relieve his discomfort disturbing Heyes who glared at him. “What is it with you, Kid? You ain't bin still for more than two minutes and I'm trying to sleep here!”

Kid turned to glare at him, the burning throb in his legs making his tone sharp. “I pulled my back all right?”

“Well, guess now you're close on thirty, it ain't just your draw that's slowing down.”

The Kid expecting that exact comment or some variation of it, simply rolled his eyes and sat down carefully, putting his hat over his eyes as he said. “I ain't in the mood Heyes, if you've got nothing helpful to say, just go back to sleep and I'll try to groan quietly.”

Fifteen minutes later the Kid shifted again, unable to get in a position that didn't aggravate the throb and stood, shuffling round as quietly as he could, but he still managed to wake his partner who opened his eyes and eyed him with an almost sympathetic expression on his face. “Hopefully in the next town, there won't be no trouble and you can rest up.”

XXX

The train's first stop was Jubilee Springs and with a quick look round to check that they were unobserved, Heyes jumped down from the boxcar and then offered an arm to his friend. When the Kid accepted the help without a murmur, Heyes knew he must be in a lot of pain.

They were just walking slowly towards the hotel when he spotted the sheriff heading in their direction. Heyes squinted and then clicked his teeth quietly as he realised that he recognised him from another town. He really wished lawmen would stay in one place, it would make their life a lot easier. With a sigh, he yanked Kid out of sight behind the nearest building, eliciting a groan and causing his friend to stumble slightly and snap. “What did you do that for, Heyes? Ain't like I'm not in enough pain already.”

“Well. You'd be in a lot more pain if we'd got ourselves arrested by the sheriff we just avoided.”

Heyes watched his friend wince and saw the crease in his forehead deepen even further as the words penetrated. “How'd you figure he knows us? I didn't recognise his name and we ain't never even been close to here before!”

“He was a deputy down in Graystone...I remember him getting a real good look at us while we was robbing their bank.”

The Kid humphed and rubbed a weary arm across his forehead as he leant against the livery wall. “I sure wish lawmen would stay put, it don't seem fair that they keep moving!”

“I know what you mean, Kid, it makes it real hard to avoid 'em.”

The Kid sighed. “Guess we oughta leave this town quick. I hope we got enough for a couple of horses, seeing as there ain't no train outta here till tomorrow, and I don't fancy hanging round...”

“You up to riding, Kid?”

Kid smiled tiredly and shrugged. “Like you told me, you worry about staying on your horse and I'll worry about staying on mine.”

“There ain't no need to get proddy, Kid. I was just asking.”

“Well, it ain't as if we got much choice one way or the other. Might be better than riding a stage, leastwise I got some control and it's easier to avoid getting robbed.”

XXX

The Kid hung onto his saddle horn with a grim concentration, knowing it was the only thing keeping him from sliding off the horse, but he was determined not to give in to the pain, or admit he couldn’t go any further. He wanted a soft bed, not hard ground to sleep on tonight. He was a long way behind his partner, having to stop frequently, unable to stand riding more than a few steps at a time. Heyes kept glancing behind him and finally brought his own mount to a halt, waiting with unconcealed impatience for Kid to catch up.

“This is stupid, Kid. We ain't getting anywhere at this speed.”

“Well, what do you want me to do about it?” The Kid almost shouted, before he paused and swallowed hard, as a shooting pain reminded him why raising his voice was a bad idea and said less loudly. “If it's bothering you that much ride on ahead and I'll catch ya up.” Eventually, like tomorrow, he added silently.

Heyes blew out a heavy breath, obviously irritated and shook his head. “That ain't what I'm meaning. Why don't we call it quits for the day? I got some laudanum in my saddlebags, and we'll be good and safe out here, so it won't matter if you sleep heavy.”

Kid sighed, considered arguing, then reluctantly nodded in agreement. The soft bed would have to wait. Heyes glanced at him and then rode off a short distance looking for a good place to camp. Kid took a deep breath and attempted to get off his horse, thinking walking might be easier. After a couple of tries, he realised the only way he was getting down was by embarrassing himself by hitting the ground with his face. As Heyes came back to him, obviously wondering why he hadn’t followed, he said a little breathlessly. “I can't get off my horse, Heyes.”

Heyes grumbled and dismounted, muttering under his breath about mulish partners, who ain't got no sense, but his hands were gentle as he eased Kid down and steadied him. “Now there’s a real good spot just over there, so you stay put against that rock, before ya fall over and I'll get us set up.”

Kid too sore and weary to pretend he was fit to do otherwise, leant against the rock Heyes had waved at and watched his friend pottering round. Once there was a fire blazing and the horses were settled, Heyes rifled in his saddlebags, before turning round to look at him, a bottle in hand. “I'm just gonna go shoot us something to eat.” He tossed Kid the bottle, which he caught awkwardly and eyed in some suspicion. Heyes gave him a cheerful wave as he walked off to hunt them down some food, leaving Kid to glare at the bottle he was now holding. After a few minutes of hesitation, the Kid opened it, and took a hefty swallow.

By the time Heyes returned, holding what looked like two rabbits, he was already seated on the floor against the rock he'd been leaning on, feeling less uncomfortable and floating in a slight haze. He started a little when Heyes loomed over him, not sure how he’d not been aware of him walking over. “There's a hot spring down yonder, spills into a lovely pool of water Kid. I figure in the morning you should give it a try, might ease your back some.”

Kid feeling mellow enough that he was agreeable to anything, nodded and as his eyes started to drift shut, Heyes chuckled and spoke softly. “Guess you ain't wanting supper.”

The last things Kid felt and heard, before his awareness faded completely, were a blanket being thrown over him and a gentle. “Sleep well, Kid.”

He woke to bright sun and a blinding headache, that was still better than the pain of the last two days. Heyes already up and preparing breakfast, looked over at him with a smile. “Don’t know if you remember me telling you, but there’s a hot spring down aways. I figure after we’ve eaten you can go take a dip in the pool it drains into.”

XXX

With Heyes watching out for any company, Kid stripped down carefully, enjoying the early afternoon sun on his exposed skin. He slipped down into the wonderfully warm water and moaned in sheer pleasure as the throb in his back and legs eased. Eventually as he squinted at a now slightly restless Heyes, he stood up, splashing the water onto his skin as he realised that he could now move with much more ease. Calling over to his partner he said. “Ya know, Heyes you oughta take a dip. Can’t see no one finding us out here.”
Heyes hesitated, took a final glance around him, before he too stripped down and joined his partner in the warm pool sinking down, with a deep comfortable sigh.

The Kid feeling relaxed and content, playfully splashed him, laughing at Heyes’ expression and poor attempts to return fire, before he too lay back down into the water. After a few more minutes, the Kid clambered out leaving Heyes to his relaxation. He dried himself and dressed slowly, taking a deep breath as he enjoyed the quiet around him and settled down to clean his gun.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Penski, Nebraska Wildfire, Kattayl and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.rachel74asj.com/om/website
Penski
Penski

June 22  Jubilee Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 22 Jubilee   June 22  Jubilee Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2022 7:54 am

This is a continuation of January 22 Starter Paragraph challenge where Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry give up on amnesty and get “lost” in California with new aliases.  Here are the last few sentences:

Joe filled the glasses.  “Almost midnight?”

Sam pulled out his watch.  “One more minute.”

The two men formerly known as Hannibal Heyes and Jed “Kid” Curry stared at the dancing flames for a moment in silence.

“Happy New Year, Joe.”

“Happy New Year, Sam.”

Alias Sam Anderson and Joe Barton clinked their glasses together and grinned.

“To our future!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

10 years later, 1893…

Joe Barton, aka Jed Curry, walked into the two-bedroom cabin, hung his hat on a peg by the door, and tossed a newspaper to his roommate, who looked up from his paperwork in time to catch it.

“How was the livery?” Sam Anderson, aka Hannibal Heyes, asked his partner.

“Good.”  Joe rinsed his hands in a bowl and dried them with a towel nearby.  “You wanna hear the numbers now?”

“May as well since I have the book out.”  Sam pulled a closed book closer and opened it.  Dipping his pen in ink, he looked up, ready to write.

Joe pulled money from his pocket and handed it to Sam, who counted it.

“Two hundred dollars – good day.”

“I had to buy some oats and used some of the money for it.”

Sam began making his entries.  “How much for the oats?”

“It was 21 cents a bushel and I got four bushels.”

“Anything else I need to know today?”

Joe stopped what he was doing and thought a moment.  “Rented a horse and buggy for the day for $5, took in three horses for the night at $2 each, and a miner bought a horse for $150.  He already had a saddle.”

“Which horse?”

“The chestnut gelding.”

Sam nodded and continued to write.

“Oh, and I finally sold that stubborn mule to an even more stubborn miner convinced there’s still a lotta gold in the hills.”

“Good.  How much?”

“Fifty.”

“That low?  He was worth more.”

Joe shook his head.  “He bit the hand that fed him and kicked down a stall.  Oh, I also had to buy lumber to fix it and that cost $5.  Fixin’ the dang stall about cost me a thumb.”  He gently rubbed the hurt finger.  “I’m starvin’!  Who’s turn is it to cook?”

Sam pulled out a coin.

“If we’re tossin’ a coin to decide who makes dinner, I’m usin’ one of mine.”  Joe pulled out a coin from his pocket.  “Call it,” he added as he flipped it in the air.  

“Heads I cook.”

Joe sighed.  “It’s tails.  I can’t even win with my own coin and toss.  Bacon and biscuits, okay?”

“Sure.”  Sam closed the book and gathered the others on the table.  He put the books and money on top of a safe in the corner of the room, sat cross-legged in front of it, and put his ear against the door.  He slowly turned the dial, listening for the tumblers to fall.  He smiled as he opened the door and placed the accounting books and money in the safe.  “Don’t forget to change the combination.”

“Just leave the door open and I’ll do it after supper,” Joe answered as he cut the slabs of bacon and put them in the hot frying pan.

Sam sat down at the table and began reading the paper.  “Bart Hopkins died.”

“Yeah, I heard that.  Funeral's on Sunday.”

“The Wild Bunch held up a Santa Fe train west of Cimarron, Kansas June 11th.  They took $1,000 in silver from the California-New Mexico Express.  A sheriff's posse from old Beaver County, Oklahoma Territory, caught up with the gang north of Fort Supply.  The gang got away, but they're pretty sure one was hit because of the blood trail for a while.”

Joe remained quiet and continued to mix up the biscuits.

“There's a mountain lion in the area eating livestock north of town.”

“Wanna make some extra money?  Rumor is you once were a champeen tracker.”  Joe grinned.

Sam made a face.  “I don’t think so.”  He sat up straight and read in silence for a minute.  “Joe, guess what?  Mark Twain will be at Angel’s Camp for a jumping frog jubilee in a month!”

“Isn't Mark Twain that author you like with the alias name?”  Joe turned the bacon.  “What’s a jumpin’ frog jubilee?”

“It says here it’s the first year for a frog jumping contest and it’s based on a short story Twain wrote called ‘The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County’.  That story made him famous.”

Joe stopped cooking and looked up, seeing the excitement in Sam’s face.  “You wanna go.”  It was a statement, not a question.

“Yeah.  Let’s go!”

“You wanna go down to Angel’s Camp to see an author and watch some frogs jump?”  Joe pulled the golden biscuits out of the fire and took the bacon off the stove.  “Are you kiddin’?”

“It’ll be fun, and we haven’t left Jackson since Soapy’s funeral.”

Joe shook his head as he put the food on the table.  “No.  It’s too risky.”

“Risky?  Why?”

“Too many strangers.  Someone might recognize us.  In case you forgot, Heyes, we’re still wanted.”  The plates were dropped next to the food as Joe sat down.

Sam gulped and put down the paper.  He quietly filled his plate and pulled it towards him.  “You haven’t called me that in ten years.”

“There wasn’t a need to remind you of our past.”  Joe filled his plate and began eating.

“You see strangers every day at the livery.”

“Yeah, I’m aware and I’m cautious.”  He took a bite.  “I may not wear my gun on my hip in full view like I used to, but but I still carry one.”

“You may still carry a gun, but are you as fast and accurate?”

Joe dipped a biscuit in the bacon fat and ate it.

“You had to practice all the time back then.”

Joe took a bite of bacon and chewed it.

“How good are you now?”

“I can usually hit what I aim for.”

“How fast?”

Joe shrugged his shoulders and continued to eat.

Sam eyed him speculatively.  “When do you have time to practice?”

“I make the time.”

“Why?  You haven’t had to use your gun in years.”

“You never know who may be around that knows us.  It only takes one person and there goes the life we now have.  Can’t be too cautious.”  Joe got up and threw his plate in the dry sink.  “I’m goin’ to go take care of the livestock.”

Sam quietly finished his dinner and thought about how to talk his partner into going to Angel’s Camp.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The sun was barely making its appearance above the hills when Sam and Joe were cinching up their horses and tying down bedrolls and saddlebags.

“I can’t believe you talked me into this… and before breakfast, too,” grumbled Joe.

“You hired good men to work at the livery and they can handle it for a long weekend.  The neighbor’s kid will be happy to earn some money taking care of our place and, if something happens, his pa will come to take care of it.  Everything will be fine.”  Sam smiled as he mounted his mare.  “I even packed snacks for the trip so you won’t get hungry.”

“I'm hungry now!”  Joe patted his gelding’s neck and looked around before mounting up.  “I guess you're right about the place.”

“Stop worrying and enjoy yourself.  No one will recognize you if you don’t wear your gun low on your hip and don’t shoot it.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Midday, Sam was trying to stretch while riding.  “Why’d I let you talk me into riding?  We could have taken a stage this thirty miles instead of being in a saddle all day.”

“That’s how you finally talked me into even goin’.  We have horses just in case we need a fast way outta town.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sam Anderson and Joe Barton rode into Angel’s Camp at dusk and unconsciously checked out the people and the town.  They rode past the sheriff and nodded.  He smiled back.  They made eye contact with each other and chuckled.

“Seems old habits die hard.”  Sam grinned.

“They sure do,” Joe agreed.

Sam pointed to the quieter of the saloons.  “How about a drink?”

“Sounds like a good plan.”

They both eased off their horses and stretched, before tying the animals to the hitching post.  Joe walked into the saloon first and was checking out the place when Sam bumped into him from behind.

“What are you doing?”

“Just lookin’ the place over.”

“Well, stop it and get in there.”  Sam pushed his way past his partner and made his way to the crowded bar.  When he got the bartender’s attention, he held up two fingers.  “Beer,” he shouted.

The bartender nodded and poured two glasses.

“Busy night,” Sam commented as he paid for the drinks.

“It sure is!”  The man left to serve another customer.

Sam handed a beer to his friend, and they stood in a corner where they had a good view of the room.

“Probably won’t be any rooms available in town with this crowd.  We’ll have to sleep outside of town somewhere.”

Joe took a drink of his beer and sighed.  “It’ll be nice sleepin’ under the stars for a few nights, as long as we don’t make a habit of it.”

“I saw a place near just north of town…”

“By the creek?”

Sam nodded.

“I think I know exactly what spot you mean.”

Sam sipped his beer.  “I’m going to move around the room and see if I can find out when things are happening this weekend.”

“I’ll be watchin’ your back.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Mark Twain was reading his short story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”:

"Now, if you're ready, set him alongside of Dan'l, with his fore-paws just even with Dan'l, and I'll give the word." Then he says, "One, two, three – jump!" and him and the feller touched up the frogs from behind, and the new frog hopped off, but Dan'l give a heave, and hysted up his shoulders so like a Frenchman, but it wan's no use he couldn't budge; he was planted as solid as an anvil, and he couldn't no more stir than if he was anchored out. Smiley was a good deal surprised, and he was disgusted too, but he didn't have no idea what the matter was, of course.

The feller took the money and started away; and when he was going out at the door, he sorter jerked his thumb over his shoulders this way at Dan'l, and says again, very deliberate, "Well, I don't see no p'ints about that frog that's any better'n any other frog."

Smiley he stood scratching his head and looking down at Dan'l a long time, and at last he says, "I do wonder what in the nation that frog throw'd off for I wonder if there an't something the matter with him he 'pears to look mighty baggy, somehow." And he ketched Dan'l by the nap of the neck, and lifted him up and says, "Why, blame my cats, if he don't weigh five pound!" and turned him upside down, and he belched out a double handful of shot. And then he see how it was, and he was the maddest man he set the frog down and took out after that feller, but he never ketchd him. And-

[Here Simon Wheeler heard his name called from the front yard, and got up to see what was wanted.] And turning to me as he moved away, he said: "Just set where you are, stranger, and rest easy I an't going to be gone a second."

But, by your leave, I did not think that a continuation of the history of the enterprising vagabond Jim Smiley would be likely to afford me much information concerning the Rev. Leonidas W. Smiley, and so I started away.

At the door I met the sociable Wheeler returning, and he button-holed me and recommenced:

"Well, thish-yer Smiley had a yeller one-eyed cow that didn't have no tail, only jest a short stump like a bannanner, and "

"Oh! hang Smiley and his afflicted cow!" I muttered, good-naturedly, and bidding the old gentleman good-day, I departed.

Sam, Joe, and the crowd cheered and clapped, showing their appreciation.

“I love that story!” Sam exclaimed.  “I’m going to go see if I can talk to Mark Twain.”

“It's hot in here.”  Joe used his bandana to wipe his face.  “Think I’ll go outside where it's cooler and check out the frog jumpin’.”

Sam nodded and began moving towards the stage.  He waited in a line until most of the folks left.

“Mr. Twain, it’s a pleasure meeting you!  You’re my favorite author,” Sam exclaimed.

“Well, thank you.  Call me Samuel.  My real name is Samuel Clemens, you know.”

“Oh, I do know.  I’m Sam.  Sam Anderson.”  He shook the author’s hand.  “I have to tell you that because I read “Life on the Mississippi”, it saved a man’s life.”

“Really?”  The author’s bushy brow rose.  “And how’s that?”

“You writing about fingerprints.”  Having the man’s attention, Sam continued, “The man was falsely accused of murder, and I suggested fingerprints.  The sheriff hadn’t heard of it and neither had the dead man’s lawyer.  The lawyer panicked and gave himself away as the murderer.”

“The lawyer killed his client?  Why ever for?”

“He was stealing from his client for years and was caught.  There was a fight between them and the lawyer killed him.  He thought he'd got away with it, too.”

“Amazing!  That should be a story to be told.”  A man whispered in the author’s ear.  “Ah, Sam, I fear I am wanted at another engagement.  It was a pleasure meeting you.”

“And a pleasure meeting you, too!”  Sam shook the author’s hand again, a dimpled smile on his face.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sam Anderson found his partner, Joe Barton, leaning against the wall of a building eating popcorn from a bag.  He joined him, took a handful of the snack and began to eat it.  “Enjoying the frog jumping?”

Joe shrugged his shoulders.  “Not sure where they find these guys; they're a lot bigger than the ones around our place.”

The two men watched the competition for a while.

“How about a bet?” Sam asked.

Joe cocked his head.  “What kind of bet?”

“A friendly bet about the final competition.”

“What’s the winner get?”

“The loser buys the next drinks.”

Joe nodded and pointed.  “Okay, which frog are you choosin’ to win?”

“Lucky Star – I like the name.  And you?”

“I have a good feelin’ for ol’ Henry over there.”

After a few frogs jumped, Lucky Star’s owner, or jockey, came up to the line.

“Next we have Lucky Star, owned by Lloyd Donaldson.”

The jockey bent down and dropped Lucky Star in the arena that had been set up.  He knelt and slammed both hands down right behind the frog.  Lucky Star jumped 5 feet 3 inches to get away.  Next the jockey blew at the frog at the same time he slammed his hands down.  The frog jumped 6 feet.  Finally, the jockey yelled as he waved his hands above Lucky Star, who jumped 5 feet 11 inches.

Several men reviewed jumps and measurements so another could tally the numbers.

“Lucky Star jumped a total of 17 feet and 2 inches!”

Sam Anderson grinned and tapped his partner on the arm.  “Try and beat that!”

After a few more frogs jumped, Henry’s owner, or jockey, came up to the line.

“Next we have Henry, owned by Bartholomew Higgins.”

The jockey bent down and dropped Henry in the arena.  He knelt, clapped his hands, and said, “Boo!” behind the frog.  Henry jumped 6 feet 1 inches to get away.  The jockey clapped and said, “Boo!” again.  The frog jumped 5 feet 6 inches.  Finally, the jockey clapped his hands and yelled a third time behind Henry, who jumped 5 feet 10 inches.

Once again, several men reviewed jumps and measurements so another could tally the numbers.

“Henry jumped a total of 18 feet and 5 inches!”

“Whoa ho!  I think you owe me a drink!” exclaimed Joe, patting Sam's back.

“The winner of the first Jumping Frog Jubilee Competition goes to Henry and jockey Bartholomew Higgins.  Congratulations!”

Samuel Clemens came forward and shook the winning jockey’s hand and gave him an envelope with a cash prize.  “Congratulations, sir!”

Higgins smiled as he shook the author’s hand and took the money.  He then raised Henry up high for all to see and admire.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Joe Barton and Sam Anderson made their way back north to their home in Jackson.

Sam looked back towards his partner.  “So, did you have a good time?”

“Yeah, I did.  It was nice gettin’ away for a few days,” Joe answered.  “How about you?”

“I gotta say it was a dream come true meeting Mark Twain.  I even got my books signed by him.”  Sam patted the right side of his saddle bag.  “Wanna go through town to see if the livery burned down?”

Joe gave him a look.  “Now why would the livery burn down?”

“You never know.  You weren’t there for a few days.”

“You assured me that Harold and Fred could take good care of the place while we were gone.”  Joe kicked his horse to walk even with Sam’s mare.  “Did you just say that to get me to go?”

“No, no I didn't.  You said you thought they were responsible men, so they should have been able to handle running the livery for a few days,” Sam assured his partner.

“Maybe we better go through town.”

“If we do, we can hear what happened and get the cash from the last few days.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Note:
I took a few liberties writing this story. The event did start in 1893, but not in Angels Camp. I'm sure Mark Twain never came to the event.

The Calaveras County Fair & Jumping Frog Jubilee is one of the longest running events in the State of California. Its earliest roots date back to 1893, held that year in Copperopolis, the fair eventually found a permanent home outside of Angels Camp. The rules for the contest dictate that each competitor’s frog is allowed three jumps in a row, and the distance of each jump is combined for the total score. The current record, set in 1986 by “Rosie the Ribiter” and jockey Lee Giudici, is 21 feet, 5 3/4 inches: 7.16 feet per jump. On average, the scientists observed that, at the recent Jubilee, the jockeys’ frogs jumped nearly 5 feet per attempt.

A good source for the cost of things:
1870 Cost of Goods - 1870CatalogueofGoods.pdf (nps.gov)

Kattayl likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kattayl

June 22  Jubilee Empty
PostSubject: Preacher's Lost Joy   June 22  Jubilee Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm

Preacher’s Lost Joy
June 2022 Challenge Jubilee

Sequel to my story:  The Making of a Preacher - Preacher’s Train

They had ridden in silence the entire day into the lower mountains of Wyoming.  Heyes loved this country’s wild untamed beauty, its natural untouched elegance and stunning vistas.  Still, he respected its unpredictable, often tempestuous weather.  Further up and to the right thunder rolled.  Casting a glance at the Kid riding silently beside him, he saw a shrug of shoulders and a nod of his head toward the man and horse they were following.  

Even though he had been drinking for days, Preacher sat tall in his saddle and set a brisk pace, riding with purpose.  Heyes and Curry had found him two days earlier drinking in the Hammered Eagle Saloon.  Sitting at a back table, only raising his head to pour more whiskey into his glass, the partners had almost overlooked him.  

“Heyes.”  Curry nudged his partner’s shoulder, almost spilling his drink.  “Think that’s Preacher.”

Annoyed but curious, Heyes put his empty glass on the bar and studied the man Curry had indicated.  “Yup, that’s Preacher.  Looks like he’s in rough shape.  Let’s see if we can get him out of here and back to the hotel.”

Walking over to the back table, the cousins took the seats on either side of the man with his head resting on the table.  Heyes moved the half-filled whiskey bottle to the far side of the table.

Curry put his hand on Preacher’s back.  “Hiya, Preacher, good to see you.”

Without lifting his head, Preacher turned to look at the man next to him.  In a second, recognition set in.  “Kid,” he said with a drunken smile gracing his face.  “Just who I needed to see.  Heyes with you?”

“Right here, Preacher.”  Heyes saw the dizziness when his friend’s head turned to see him.  “How about you come back to our room, and we’ll catch up.”

“No, got something they need me to do.  Be pleased if you two would ride with me tomorrow,” he said earnestly.

As Heyes picked up the bottle from the table, Curry slid his arm under Preacher’s shoulder and helped him stand up.  “Now, Preacher, you know we’re goin’ for that amnesty.  We don’t do anything the least bit illegal anymore.” said Curry.

Preacher pulled out of Curry’s grasp.  “Who do you think I am, boys?”  Preacher sounded offended and looked hurt.  “You two are my friends, more family.”  He fell backwards into Curry who caught him, supporting him once again.  “Wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.  Just gotta go somewhere important and I’d like your company.”

Heyes unlocked the door to their room and Curry helped Preacher to the far bed. Slumping over to try and take off his boots, Preacher mumbled, “Gotta leave tomorrow morning so I’ll be there on time.  Wouldn't do to be late.  Joannie wouldn’t like that.”

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

Sleeping in the chair by the window so Preacher could have his bed, Heyes woke at first light.  Preacher’s soft snoring was only broken by his muttering, “Thy will be done.  Why?  Why?  Why is thy will so harsh?”

In the other bed, Curry lay on his back, sleeping deeply so Heyes slipped out of the room and went downstairs for a cup of coffee.  When he returned, bringing coffee for his roommates, he found Preacher sitting on the side of his bed and Curry shaving.

“He says we need to leave within the hour if we are goin’ to get THERE on time,” Curry said to the mirror image of his partner.  “Better give both cups of coffee to him; he’s goin’ to need them.”

ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ*****ASJ

Preacher hadn’t said a word, just led them toward the low mountains.  Lightning flashed and again thunder roared.  Preacher looked up this time and pulled his battered black hat down tighter on his head in anticipation of wind and rain.  Still, he showed no sign of stopping and the partners saw nothing but wild nature ahead of them.

Climbing, they followed a wide, gentle curve to the left and buildings came into view in the distance.  An hour later, Preacher stopped in front of an ornate carved city sign with chiseled mountains in the background and the scripted words Welcome to Miner’s Delight population 1,000.  Untended, weeds had grown up around the sign to cover the last line.  Preacher dismounted.  Angrily, he yanked the offending weeds and wildflowers from the ground with force until the signpost stood alone.  “Townspeople used to take pride in that sign,” was all he said by way of explanation.

Alert now, Preacher studied each boarded up building they passed, mumbling what Heyes thought sounded like prayers.  It seemed a ghost town to Heyes, and he pointed to the wind battered ‘Sheriff Noah Svengard’ sign swinging by one last rusting nail out to Curry.  

Preacher stopped in front of the Fortune’s Gift saloon, tying his horse to the hitching post.  It looked to be the only still inhabited establishment on the street.  With a moment of hesitation, Preacher led them through the batwing doors and headed to the bar.  Heyes followed him while Curry stepped to the right of the doors and surveyed the room.  A small poker game was taking place in the center of the room.  Four patrons, looking as old and battered as the town, leaned on the bar.  Seeing no threats, Curry joined his companions at the bar just as the bartender approached Preacher.

“Reverend Johnson!” he exclaimed, reaching over the wooden bar to hit Preacher on the arm.  “Thought you might be coming around soon.”

“Brian, how are you?”  Preacher’s voice was sincere, caring with a tinge of long held grief.

Putting three glasses on the bar and pouring from the ‘good’ whiskey bottle hidden under the bar, Brian answered, “Drinks on the house, Reverend.  Doing as well as can be expected.  Not many locals left around here since the mines closed.  Good to see you, again.  I’ve been taking care of them for you.”

Preacher looked the bartender in the eyes, “I thank you for that.  May God bless you,” he said softly.

“Joannie’s flowers by the house are in bloom.”

Heyes watched a small smile escape Preacher’s control.  

Preacher turned to Heyes and Curry.  “Got to go out back for a minute.  Then we can leave.”

When he had left, Heyes asked the bartender, “Looks like this was a nice town.  People left when the mine closed?”

Brian shook his head, “No, mines closed because there was no one left to work them.  Measles swept  through here like a January wind.”

Preacher’s reappearance stopped the bartender from saying any more.  He reached out and shook Brian’s hand and placed his left hand over the handshake.  “Thank you, again.”

“Nice to have met you.”  Curry hurriedly touched the brim of his hat as he trailed after the striding Preacher.

Riding again, Preacher lapsed into his dark silence.  In less than half an hour of climbing, Heyes saw a house with a flower garden gracing the front yard.

“Wait here,” Preacher said as he dismounted and gathered a big handful of daisies.  “Almost there,” he added as they again started climbing on what looked like a defined but seldom used trail.

Under the branches of a magnificent tree, Preacher stopped and removed his hat.  Following his lead, the cousins removed their hats and walked the few steps to stand next to their friend.  “Ten years.  I can’t believe it’s been ten years since I held them.”  His voice was soft, solemn.

Heyes read the names on the gray weathered tombstone with the date exactly ten years earlier.

“Here lies Joannie Collins Johnson, beloved wife and mother.”  Underneath in smaller but ornate lettering it said, “Jubilee Joan Johnson, beloved daughter of Josiah and Joannie.  One year old.”

Curry wiped the unbidden tears from his eyes as Preacher knelt at the graves of his wife and daughter.  He had never talked of his past; never talked of the sorrows he carried.  

Heyes knelt next to him and was digging a small hole for the daisy bouquet while trying to let Preacher grieve privately.  Then he stood silently next to Curry wishing he knew how to pray for his melancholy friend.  

Finally, Preacher stood up.  He shook each of their hands but spoke only through his eyes.  

Walking to the horses, they mounted quickly.  Preacher turned to his friends.  “Thanks for coming, boys.  That house back there is mine.  We can spend the night there.  Ain’t got much food but there’s plenty of whiskey.”

“Not too many ghosts?” Heyes asked.

Preacher gave them a thoughtful smile.  “No, no ghosts.  Did you know Jubilee is a girl's name in Hebrew?  Means joy.  That house is filled with the joy she brought to her ma and me in the short time we had her.  How could I help but be blessed with loving dreams in that house?”

Penski and KimL55 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

June 22  Jubilee Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 22 Jubilee   June 22  Jubilee Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

June 22 Jubilee
Page 1 of 1