Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

June 19 A difference of opinion

Go down 
+2
LittleBluestem
Calico
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

June 19  A difference of opinion Empty
PostSubject: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 11:56 pm

Hello everyone!!

Waves from across the pond

A reasonably easy one for you this lovely month of flaming June

Engage your brains and don your thinking caps for

A difference of opinion Mad
Back to top Go down
LittleBluestem

PostSubject: A Difference of Opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 9:54 pm

A bit of fluffiness, but I keep hearing them bickering... And since no one else has posted yet, I figured what the heck:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Looks like what we got here is a failure to communicate.”

“Naw,” Curry drawled, shaking his head slowly, his arms folded across his chest, “looks like what we got here is just a difference of opinion.”

“Well, that’s your opinion,” Heyes insisted.

“Yeah. A different one than yours.”

“C’mon, Kid, you can’t mean that you really don’t want to –"

“Yes, Heyes,” the Kid interrupted. “I do mean it! I don’t wanna! And no matter how much you try to use that silver tongue of yours on me, you ain’t gonna change my mind.”

“But, Kid – “

“NO.”

“Kid, hear me out. If you would just listen for a min—”

“No.”

Kid Curry strode purposely across the hotel room, his long legs covering the distance to the bureau in three long strides. He picked up his gunbelt and proceeded to strap it around his hips, fasten the buckle, and tie the rawhide thong around his thigh.

Hannibal Heyes hastened after him, demanding, “Why do you have to be so stubborn?”

The Kid straightened and whirled around, his face betraying disbelief at the pot calling the kettle black. “Stubborn? Me stubborn? You’re the stubborn one that can’t take no for an answer. I told you. The answer is no.” This last was emphasized with a finger stabbing at his partner’s chest.

“But if you would just listen to reason,” the darker man wheedled as the kid checked his Colt, then twirled it around his finger several times before sliding it into its holster.

“I’ve been listening to you all afternoon, Heyes. My answer three hours ago was no. My answer one hour ago was no. And my answer now is  -- hmm, let me think -- still no!” Curry scooped up his saddlebags, turned on his heel and headed for the hotel room door.

“But, Kid, I don’t think you’re really considering the entire situation,” Heyes continued, grabbing his own saddlebags as the Kid swung the door open.

The Kid, about to step into the hall, stopped and turned back to face his partner in exasperation, deftly switching to his alias. “Joshua!” he barked, “What’s it gonna take to shut you up about this?!”
Curry continued down the hotel hallway, Heyes dogging his heels.

“I would definitely stop takling about it if you would just say yes,” he argued reasonably, keeping pace one step behind him.

Curry stopped in his tracks. Heyes had to draw up short so as not to ram into him from behind.

“NO!”

This last was shouted – loud enough to  startle a chambermaid walking toward them with an armload of towels. She flinched at the disturbance, then quickly lowered her eyes and brushed past them hastily.

"Shhh! You’re gonna attract attention,” Heyes scolded, almost whispering.

Curry lowered his voice as well and replied through gritted teeth, “I am not gonna attract attention. YOU are gonna attract attention because you can’t let this go!”

“I’m not the one shouting about it! Shouting is going to attract attention,” protested his partner, the picture of innocence. By this time, they were both descending the staircase into the lobby, shoulder to shoulder.

“Ya know what’ll really attract attention? When I flatten you, that’s what will attract attention! So just let this go before I have to flatten you.”

“You really wouldn’t flatten me over a silly little thing like – “

“It is NOT a silly little thing. It is a big, dumb, you-know-who kinda plan! And no matter how much you try to convince me I will never agree to it  and I don’t wanna hear another word about it.”

“But I don’t think you really understand the plan. If I could just explain it to you one more time.”

Ignoring the last comment, Curry approached the clerk’s desk where a mild-mannered, narrow-shouldered gent sporting extravagant whiskers hovered nervously.

“Fix us up our bill,” he demanded. “We’re checking out.”

“Yes, Mr. Jones.”

Heyes joined his partner at the counter and countermanded, “I beg your pardon, but what Mr. Jones here meant to say was that we’re staying another night.”

“Yes, Mr. Smith.”

“No, he did not. What Mr. Jones meant to say is what he said. We’re checkin’ out. Now.”

“Yes, Mr. Jones.”

“I’m afraid we really are not leaving yet,” Heyes persisted.

The poor clerk looked as if he was a spectator at a tennis match between two players of equal skill -- that is, two players of equal skill who were also glaring at each other fiercely
“It appears that you two gentlemen have a difference of opinion,” the clerk ventured meekly.
Back to top Go down
Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 am

[continuing the little sillyness from last month]

As it turned out Kid Curry meanwhile did what he did best: he checked out the kitchen. Standing behind the counter, he prepared something that looked like sandwiches to his partner.

When Heyes opened the door, his head popped up while his right dropped to the butt of his gun. Recognizing his partner, a genuine smile lit up his face.

“I’m glad, you finally got here, Heyes,” he said, obviously in best spirit. “You won’t believe it, but you will love it! This kind of ... well ... funny strong box holds no money, but supplies, nice and cool and fresh. Who would think of something like that?”

Heyes entered the room, relieved to see his partner well, but nevertheless scolding him. “Kid, what do you think you’re doing?”

“Gettin’ me somethin’ to eat. Lovemakin’ makes me hungry all the time,” the blond replied matter-of-factly.

Everything makes you hungry all the time!” Heyes retorted. “Just look at you, Thaddeus! You not even took the time to get properly dressed! That’s anything but decent in a lady’s house.”

“What lady?” his partner mumbled; his voice muted by a rich slice of ham he just stuffed into his mouth.

Said lady took it as a call to enter the scene, too. She had thought about staying in bed, but decided to follow Not-Heyes instead. The plain thought was mind blowing: Hannibal Heyes was checking out her house and she was lying in bed, sleeping and snoring?! A part of her mind tried to convince her that it was impossible and no sign of sanity to believe what seemed to happen, but her heart was of a different kind of opinion. How often would she get a chance to meet the man of her dreams? And then she was supposed to stay in bed, faking a sane mind? Ha! No, sir! If she was going crazy now, she would at least enjoy it to her fullest!  

Yet she decided it was about time to bring some light into the darkness - literally. She tried to switch the light on, but the lamp refused its service. ‘A blackout? Now?’ she thought. ‘Just great. What else can go wrong tonight?

Reality – or at least what felt like reality for her – distracted her mind. The cowboy of her dreams stood behind her kitchen counter with tousled, honey-colored hair, only dressed in his jeans and gun belt. The faint light seeping through the shutters caressed his bare chest. His boyish features and casual stance only enhanced his masculinity and sex appeal. It was the most appetizing thing she’d ever seen, here or elsewhere. She just couldn’t take her eyes off him.

The eyes of the man, who would probably deny being Kid Curry, widened, then he swallowed the big bite of food he was chewing at, almost choking. “Oh, I ... uh ... I apologize, ma’am. I didn’t know about you.” His baby-blues looked her up and down, sending a blissful shiver down her spine. “To be honest, your kind of dress, well ... ain’t quite up to scratch, too.”

A red flash of anger flushed her face. “Now wait a minute! You’re here without my invitation, in the middle of the night – in my kitchen! Whom do you blame of being indecent?”

Their eyes met. The male one’s wandered down her figure, drawing her attention with them. Suddenly she realized her outfit and the color of her face deepened. She used to sleep in her slip and an oversized tee-shirt. Considering the time period he was coming from, she must appear everything but decent, she had to admit. There just wasn’t much she could do about it, for the kitchen usually presented a distressing lack of clothing, and she would be damned if she would leave to miss any beat of whatever happened.

The blond man noticed the trouble she was in. He took another bite of his snack, then he turned around and grabbed his light-blue shirt from one of the barstools lined up along the counter. Shrugging into it he approached her slowly.

He snapped his fingers and indicated Not-Heyes something behind him. The owner of the place followed his gesture with her look and noticed a light leather jacket that she hadn’t seen before. Leapfrogging her dark-haired visitor, she grabbed it first and wrapped it around her shoulders. Still chewing, the curly one smiled at her before he turned around, edged around the counter and returned to his midnight snack.

She was following his every movement with her eyes as he walked away, admiring the setting of his shoulders, the confidence in his stance, the movement of his hips... He was definitely nobody she would push out of her bed – quite the opposite.

Chocolate-brown-eyes watched her watching his partner. He rolled his eyes and huffed. “Lost,” he stated, shaking his head.

He then started strolling through the kitchen, exploring the unfamiliar place and devices. His eyes where shining in bright curiosity and fascination. “I’d love to know what all the machines, dials and switches are for,” he murmured. “For some reason nothing happens when I turn those triggers...” He turned his head and noticed that his partner wasn’t listening, but working his way through his pile of sandwiches. “Heck, Kid, how can you eat in a situation like this?”

“Would it do us any good, if I’d starve?” the blond mumbled.

“Well...”

“Exactly!”

“Do you have any idea where we are?"

“Nope. But the food is excellent!”

“But you have to know something. It was you who brought us here!” the dark one complained.

“Who said it was me?”

“You went first, I just followed you.”

“Now, I admit you have a point there, but I just walked through that door like any time before, but instead of the backstreet I ended up here.”

“And where is here?”

“How should I know? Am I supposed to be the brains?”

“Have I really been looking out for you? I can’t understand why I should do such a fool thing like that. I’d be better off without you!”

“That’s what I told you before, but you wouldn’t listen to me!”

“Why should I? As you said, I do the thinking here! Your ideas are nothing but trouble. Just look where we ended up just because of you!”

“Thanks a lot! You wouldn’t make it one week without me, Hey... Joshua, and you know that!”

“I know!?” Dark-brown eyes sparkled in annoyance.

“Yeah!”

“Yeah!? I’ll show you that I can! We can split up right here and now.”

“Fine.”

Fine!

“Just tell me where the heck is ‘here and now’!”

“Well ... I’m working on that,” Heyes shot back.

The blond just snorted.

“You can’t split up, Heyes,” a female voice chimed in. “Didn’t you tell me that bad things happen when you do so?”

“I don’t believe that,” Heyes answered ruefully, and looked sideways at his partner. “And don’t call me that. The name’s Smith.”

“It’s not, and I know it! You slipped, when you addressed your partner ‘Kid’,” she countered with a self-sufficient smile on her face. “And weren’t you scared when you didn’t see your partner when you arrived?”

“Well...”

“You were?” Kid Curry said, obviously very curious and interested in this topic.

“Nope.”

“He was?” the Kid asked, turning away from him and towards their host.

She nodded agreement. “He couldn’t think of anything else.”

A wide grin lit up the gunslinger’s face. Wherever they were, things took quite an interesting turn...

With sparkling eyes, he resumed his annihilation of food.

Astonished she watched him, wondering what would happen if he found out about ice cream and chocolate. Maybe he didn’t ever want to leave again? The combined thought of Kid Curry, bare skin and soft melting ice-cream flashed through her mind and inspired some quite delicious ideas.

But she knew Heyes was right: usually bad things happened when the boys separated. They could run out of chocolate and ice cream for example and where would they end up then?

Still tempted, she flirted with the thought of introducing him to the contents of her freezer as she suddenly noticed sounds, unfamiliar sounds emerging from somewhere in the house...

[might be continued]

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:04 pm

A Difference of Opinions

Sometime in 1879…

Eyes closed, Hannibal Heyes sat cross-legged in front of the safe with his ear pressed against the metal door.  His hand slowly moved to the right.  A moment later, a dimpled smile and twinkling brown eyes showed as he pushed down on the handle.

“Heyes, you did it!” exclaimed Kid Curry, watching from the outside of the railcar and keeping an eye on the gang and passengers.  “How much is in there?”

“Kid, there’s enough to take a long trip.”

“Where to?”

“How about Virginia City?”

“That minin’ town in Nevada?”

“That mining town that financed the Civil War and built San Francisco!”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes and Curry got off the Central Pacific Transcontinental Railroad in Reno, Nevada and went to the ticket office.

“Two tickets to Virginia City.”  Heyes pushed several bills forward on the counter.

The clerk took the money and gave him two tickets.  “You’re in luck.  The train leaves in 30 minutes.  That’s the one over there.”  He pointed to Engine #11, called the Reno, with a few passenger cars and more freight cars.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry whistled as he hopped off the train.  “I didn’t imagine it bein’ so big!”

A conductor overheard and commented, “There’s just under 20,000 folks who live here now.  There was over 25,000 before the big fire.”

“The big fire?” Heyes questioned, as he swung his saddle bags over his shoulders.

“October of 1875, a big fire just about burned the whole town down.  About 2,000 buildings burned.”

“2,000?” Curry exclaimed.

“Yep, only the wind changing directions kept it from the south side and the mines.  Would’ve been terrible if it went into the mines and trapped the workers.”

“Where would you recommend us staying?” Heyes asked.

“Well, if you have money, the new International Hotel is the best.  Can’t miss it – it’s the six-story building over there.”  The clerk pointed to the center of town.

“Thanks for the information.”

Heyes and Curry trekked up the hilly path onto C Street, the main road running through town.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

“Heyes, can you believe this place?” Curry asked as they stood outside of the brick building with arched windows, taking up a city block.

“No.  Bet it’s not gonna be cheap.”

They entered the lush lobby and rang the bell at the desk.

“May I help you?”

“One room with two beds.”

“Facing the front, if possible,” the Kid added.

“The cost is $2.50.  How many nights will you be joining us?”

“$2.50?  We’ll be here about a week.”  Heyes glanced sideways to his partner, who nodded.

“Very well.  Seven nights will be $17.50.  I’m sure you’ll be very satisfied with the accommodations.  We just opened last year and have gas lighting in the rooms.”  The clerk wrote in a book and turned to the key rack.

Kid shook his head in awe at the number of key hooks.  “How many rooms do you have?”

“One hundred sixty rooms, sir.”  He handed them both keys.  “Your room will be 524, on the fifth floor facing the front, as you requested.”

“Fifth floor?  That’s a lotta steps.  Got anything lower?”

The clerk held out his hand, two keys resting on its palm.  “No steps here at the International Hotel.  We have the state's first hydraulic elevator.”

Heyes and the Kid took the proffered keys.

“Imagine that!” Heyes exclaimed.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Curry tossed his bags on a bed and looked out the window.  “Heyes, I bet we can see a hundred miles from up here!”

Heyes put his belongings on the other bed.  “That elevator ride was amazing!  Kid, this place is well worth the price of $2.50 a night.”

“I wonder how their restaurant is?”

“I’m getting hungry, too.  How about we check out a few of the saloons after dinner?”

“Sounds like a plan, Heyes.”  

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A weary Curry and Heyes removed their boots, vests, shirts, and pants before climbing into their beds.

“Kid, can you believe the Bucket of Blood Saloon?”

“We are not goin' back in there.” Curry shuddered.  “If they have as many fights as they did while we were there, it'd be enough to draw a bucket of blood every day.  That place sure had some rough customers!”

“It sure did!”

“That faro table in the Delta was eerie.  I heard someone say that the owner, Black Jack, lost $70,000 one night and shot himself on that table.”

“I already decided not to play at that table – sounds like bad luck.  Besides, I prefer poker over faro.”  Heyes put his hands behind his head as he leaned against the headboard.  “What I wanna do is play poker at the Millionaire Club.”

Curry sat up.  “Heyes, we might be flush with money, but we’re no millionaires.”

“Don’t have to be a millionaire.”  Heyes smiled.  “Just have to act like one by dressing like one and wave around some money.”

“I dunno about that.  Once you’re upstairs, I can’t watch your back.”

“I don’t need you watching my back.  There’s just millionaires up there.  There won’t be any danger.  No one’s gonna challenge me up there or draw a gun on me.”

“You don’t know that for sure.  No.  There’s poker at the Delta Saloon or the Union Brewery or how about the Silver Queen with the portrait of that lady with her dress made with all those silver dollars?”

Kid, you can’t tell me what to do.”

“Heyes…”

Heyes laid down and rolled over with his back to his partner.  “End of discussion.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heyes, dressed in an expensive black suit and slicked-back hair, walked through the Washoe saloon and entered a back door.  He waited and nodded to a beautiful blonde lady in a long blue gown before going up the spiral staircase into the Millionaire Club on the upper floors of the building.  A large wad of money was in his jacket pocket.

At the top of the stairs, he was greeted by a gentleman sitting behind a walnut desk.  “May I help you, sir?”

“Yes.  I’m visiting Virginia City for a week and was hoping to play a little game of poker.”  He pulled out his pile of money.  “Is there a buy in?”

The gentleman smiled.  “I think we can accommodate your request, sir.  And your name?”

“Jonathan Pearce of Denver.”

“Please make yourself at home in the reading room or billiards, Mr. Pearce.  You can find beverages or fine cigars for purchase in the wine-room.”

“Thank you.”

~ *~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry knocked and entered their hotel room.  “Heyes… Heyes?”  He looked at a piece of paper on the dresser – a receipt for a suit.  “You didn’t!”  He left the room, slamming the door behind him.  “I’m gonna kill you, if someone else don’t beat me to it.  You better keep your silver-tongue quiet and not win too much tonight.”

He hurried a few blocks down C Street and entered the Washoe Saloon.  He ordered a beer and sipped it with his back against the bar as he surveyed the patrons in the bar.  In a corner by the back room where the entrance to the Millionaire Club was located, an old prospector sat drinking his way through a bottle.  Curry glared at him and the man quickly left, leaving the table available for him.  The Kid sat down and nursed his beer.  “It’s gonna be a long night.”

~ *~ * ~ * ~

Heyes walked through a broad, arched doorway, richly and heavily draped with crimson curtains.  An elegant sideboard was amply stocked with the very best beverages and cigars.  A lunch table was covered with delicacies.  The whole floor was richly carpeted.  Purchasing a brandy, he walked into a reading room with four large French plate glass windows facing C Street.  In the center of the room was a 4’ x 12’ table of black walnut inlaid with laurel, on which were all the papers and periodicals usually read.  He took a newspaper from Denver and chose one of the easy chairs.  Two chandeliers of polished steel brilliantly lit the large room.

Just outside of the room near the reception, a stock-reporting telegraph gave regular quotations from the market, and its registerings were narrowly watched while points were given and exchanged among the members.

Finishing his drink while reading about a daring railcar robbery by the Devil’s Hole Gang, Heyes wandered into the billiard-parlor.  The richly carpeted room contained two Strahle tables with beds of slate and beautifully carved legs.

“Mr. Pearce?”

Heyes turned to see the gentleman from the reception.  “Yes?”

“You were interested a game of poker?  There is a table needing one more.”

“Very interested.”

“Follow me.”  He led Heyes into a private card room, lavishly decorated.  “May I introduce you to President Grant, Samuel Clemens, and William MacKay.  Gentlemen, this is Jonathan Pearce of Denver.”

~ *~ * ~ * ~

Kid Curry yawned and looked up at the tin ceiling, wondering where and what his partner was doing upstairs.

A young woman with her brunette hair swept up and wearing an emerald satin gown with a low décolletage came to the table.  “Can I get you another drink?  A cigar?”

“How ‘bout another beer?”

When she came back and handed him a glass, the Kid smiled.  “Thanks.  Do you know what time it is?”

“You must be waiting for someone.  It’s after midnight.  The Club doesn’t close, but it does wind down soon.  You shouldn’t have to wait much longer.”

“I hope not.”

“Do you know who’s upstairs?”

“No, who?”

“The former President Grant!”

“Really?”  Curry’s eyes widened.

“Yep, I saw him go up earlier.”

“Huh.  Maybe I’ll see him when he leaves.”

“Unless he leaves through the back door towards B Street.”

~ *~ * ~ * ~

An hour later Heyes came down the spiral staircase and entered the saloon.  He chuckled when he saw his partner’s head nodding as he fought falling asleep.

“Hey, partner.”

“Hey…partner.  You stayed outta trouble?”

“I sure did.  Didn’t say too much or win too much, just like you said to do.”

“Do you know who’s up there?  President Grant!”

“I know.  Played poker with him.”

“You played poker with a president?”

“Sure did.  And one of the other players was a man named MacKay, who owns a mine in town.  There was a third fella, he’s the former editor of the newspaper who’s becoming an author.  Heyes offered a hand and pulled his friend up.  “Let’s go.”

The two partners walked outside in the chilly high desert evening.

“Hannibal Heyes played poker with a president and a millionaire!” Curry quietly spoke as he put his arm over his partner’s shoulders.

NOTES:

This challenge was inspired by a visit to Virginia City in early June.  While touring the haunted Washoe Club, the guide showed us a card table where “President Grant, Samuel Clemons, William MacKay, and others played poker.  I leaned over to my husband and said, “And Hannibal Heyes, too.”  He smiled.  “Of course, he did.”

Virginia City was one of the richest towns in the West at one time.  President Lincoln made Nevada a state so the money coming out of Virginia City could finance the Civil War.  There were 25,000 people at the height of the Silver Lode, many being miners who were paid fairly well at the time for very dangerous work.  The temperature in the mines could be 140 degrees.
June 19  A difference of opinion Virgin11
Virginia City ca. 1880

In late 1871, a line extension to Reno was begun, to connect the V&T line with the Central Pacific Railroad.  This would allow through train service between Virginia City and San Francisco.  Construction began with track being installed starting at the Reno end of the line.  The first train to run end-to-end from Virginia City to Reno took place on August 24, 1872, pulled appropriately by the road's newest locomotive at the time, No. 11, the Reno.  This milestone marked the completion of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad.  In 1875, the railroad was earning a profit of over $100,000 per month and started paying annual dividends of $360,000 (or $30,000/month) to investors.
June 19  A difference of opinion Ticket11          June 19  A difference of opinion No_11_11
Ticket to Virginia City and the No. 11 - the Reno

There were three International Hotels with the third one being the tallest and most elegant.  First-class rooms included gas lighting and could be rented for $55 per month, while overnight stays cost $2.50.  Notable visitors and guests included U.S. presidents Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes and Benjamin Harrison, as well as generals William Tecumseh Sherman and Edward Lawrence Logan.  Other notable visitors included Adolph Sutro and New York senator Frank C. Platt.  Mackay was a permanent resident in the hotel for several years.
June 19  A difference of opinion Intern11

The Millionaire Club was very lavishly decorated and had approximately 100 members.  They allowed guests, as long as they had plenty of cash.  The spiral staircase is only one of two of its kind.  It was built with glue and dowels and no main support – quite an achievement.  It’s still stands with a screw or two now and is no longer in use.  The other one is in a church in New Mexico.
June 19  A difference of opinion Old_wa11         June 19  A difference of opinion Washoe11         June 19  A difference of opinion Poker_11         June 19  A difference of opinion Spiral11

Samuel Clemens was an editor of the Virginia City’s Territorial Enterprise, Nevada's leading newspaper.  The name Mark Twain was first used here.  He was pushed out of his position after writing a hoax.  He was good friends with President Grant and assisted in the writing of his biography.
June 19  A difference of opinion Samuel11

The Silver Queen is 15-ft. tall and 8-ft. wide, a ceiling-touching painting of a lady in an evening gown decorated with 3,261 "Morgan" silver dollars minted in Carson City (in what is now the Nevada State Museum).  Her belt is fashioned from 28 twenty-dollar gold pieces, and her choker and bracelets are made from dimes.
June 19  A difference of opinion Silver11

The lady in blue descending the spiral staircase is a nod to Lena, one of the ghosts in the Old Washoe Club.

MoulinP

MoulinP

PostSubject: Re: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 3:04 am

Scene from the Kid's new life post amnesty

“Well what d’ya think?”

The Kid and Cowdry stood side by side contemplating which of the three suits, hanging over the closet door the Kid should wear to a lavish Gala that evening. When Cowdry didn’t answer him the Kid looked at him, with a sigh.

“Well?”

Cowdry winced. “Its difficult to say, sir.”

“I know,” the Kid agreed. “That’s why I’m asking for ya opinion.”

“It’s not for me to say, sir.”

“Yes it is. I’ve asked ya to say. I’ve given ya PERMISSION to say.”

“I know sir. Thank you sir.”

When nothing more was forthcoming, the Kid growled. “Cowdry, help me make the right decision, huh? Isn’t that what I’m paying ya for?”

“I’m trying sir. Really I am.”

The Kid took a deep breath and pursed his lips. “Trouble is they’re identical.”

“Not quite sir. The linings are different colours, the cloth is different, the cut is slightly … .”

“They’re all BLACK!”

“Yes sir.”

More pondering.

“They’re identical to the untrained eye,” the Kid started slowly. His eyes slide towards Cowdry and grinned. “But we don’t have an untrained eye do we?” He turned to face Cowdry. “You’re trained in … .” The Kid waved his hands in frustration. “Valetry.”

“Not fully sir!” Cowdry spluttered. “I’m learning on the job now sir,” he added, quickly. He paused.
“The correct term is valeting sir.”

“Uh-huh, so consider this a test. Of your abilities so far.”

Cowdry’s face looked like he’d eaten something that hadn’t agreed with him.

“You’ve tried them all on sir,” he began.

“I have,” the Kid agreed with a nod.

“How did they feel sir? Which was the most comfortable?”

“Cowdry they’re SUITS! They’re not SUPPOSED to be comfortable!” Then inspiration seem to strike.

“Say did we ever find out what happened to my old suit?”

“No sir.”

“Pity, I coulda worn that,” the Kid said, with a big martyred sigh.

“No sir.” Cowdry shuddered. “You really couldn’t,” he added, under his breath.

“Huh?” the Kid frowned.

“It was grey sir. Tonight’s event calls for black sir,” Cowdry said, quickly, finishing with a beam reminiscent of one belonging to a dark haired former outlaw.

The Kid sighed, hands on hips, reminiscent of the same dark haired former outlaw.

“If it was you, which one would you prefer to wear?”

Cowdry winced. “I’m shaped a little differently to you sir,” he said, diplomatically. “It would only be a matter of opinion.”

“It’s your opinion I want!”

Cowdry gulped and took a deep breath. “All of them are appropriate. They are made by the three best tailors in Boston.”

“I know that,” the Kid said, mustering more patience from somewhere than he ever thought possible.

“Look, Caroline wants me to look my best tonight. How do I choose which one of these suits tailored by the best three tailors in Boston is the best?”

“That’s a difficult one sir.”

The Kid sat down and rubbed his forehead, wearily. “If I don’t pick the right one, she’ll know won’t she?”

“I believe so sir.”

The Kid groaned. He looked up suddenly. “Then maybe she can choose.”

He sprung up and headed for the interconnecting door. He threw it open and marched into the other bedroom.

“Caroline!”

Cowdry heard a small scream and widened his eyes. Mr Curry was unconventional to say the least. It did make life interesting. However, he wasn’t sure that Mrs Curry’s ladies maid would agree right at this moment.

“Sorry Margaret. Is Caroline here?”

“Madam is in the bathroom sir,” a flustered Margaret said.

Cowdry waited and winced.

“Sir! She’s in the bath!” Margaret was horrified.

Cowdry waited some more.

“Jed! Get OUT!”

The Kid returned, looking slightly embarrassed. “No joy there Cowdry,” he said, quickly, shutting the door. He cleared his throat. “We’re on our own.”

“You could toss a coin sir?” Cowdry offered.

“Naw! Need a three sided coin and not even HEYES has one of them,” The Kid muttered, contemplated the problem again as if a magical insight would suddenly provide the answer. “I bet HE could decide which suit to wear.”

“Perhaps you could … send an urgent telegram sir?” Cowdry said, dryly.

The Kid gave him a withering look.

“Sorry sir.”

The Kid gave the problem some more thought. He was fast reaching the conclusion that finding a three sided coin might be easier, when there was a knock on the door.

“Yeah?” he called, glad of the interruption.

Johnson came in.

“Sorry to disturb you sir. There’s a gentleman to see you.”

“For me?

“Yes sir. He left his card.”

Johnson handed it over.

The Kid pursed his lips but gave nothing away.

“Hmmm, okay. I’ll come down.”

Johnson held the door and the Kid marched through, only to pause in the threshold.

“Cowdry, this may take a while. I won’t have much time to change when I get back so pick a suit and put the other two back, will ya?” he said, with an amused smirk before disappearing.

Cowdry’s shoulders slumped.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm

I'm sorry this is such a short chapter.  The month just got away from me but I promise I'll post the next one very soon.

A Day Early, A Dollar Short – Chapter 10

“How long do you reckon Joshua’s gonna be out, Doc?”  The Kid sat at the foot of Heyes’ bed and watched the ragged breaths his partner drew.  

Minner handed a chicken leg to Mac and turned towards Curry.  “Well, it’s hard to say.  Mr. Smith seems like a healthy man but his injury has drained his strength.  Sleep is what he needs now and, with any luck, he won’t awaken until morning.”

“Hmpf,” grunted Mac after a large bite.  “Ain’t much point in patchin’ ‘im up if’n you ask me.  Man’s gonna swing sooner rather than later.”

“Shut…up.”  The Kid spoke so softly Minner could barely hear him but he felt the menace conveyed in the two simple words.

“What’re you gonna do, Curry?  Kill me?  Ain’t that what you said?”  Grinning grotesquely, Mac nodded at the doctor.  “See, Curry here don’t want you to know that there’s Hannibal Heyes you’re treatin’.  Guess he figures you might not want to work on a damned outlaw.”

“I’m a doctor.  It doesn’t matter who my patient is, I’ve taken a vow to treat him.  You sir, are ample proof of my fealty to the oath,” countered Dr. Minner disdainfully.

Mac reached into the bag next to Minner and pulled out another chicken leg waving it about punctuating his words.  “Mark my words, it’ll be your fault if good people are made to suffer ‘cause you saved the wrong man.”

“What happened to your hand?”  Minner seized Mac’s wrist and stared at his battered appendage.

“Ain’t nothin’.  I dislocated myself gettin’ out of them cuffs the first time.”

“It needs to go back in place immediately!  Do you realize you’re risking the loss of use?”

“Don’t go gettin’ your tail in a twist, it don’t hurt much and I think it looks just fine.”  Pulling away from the doctor, Mac tried to wiggle his fingers but failed miserably.

Minner frowned.  “Well, sir, you and I have a difference of opinion.  Mr. Jones, or whatever your name is, hold down Mr. Lamford while I put his thumb back in place.”   His eyes shifted to the Kid who had neared Mac without the older man sensing him.  He nodded and the blond outlaw seized Mac by his shoulders and forced him to the ground.

“With pleasure.”  The Kid smiled grimly.

While Mac cussed and squirmed, the doctor deftly snapped the joint in as his patient howled with outrage.  Releasing Mac, Minner stood up and dusted the knees of his trouser as the man before him glared up at him.  “Try not to use your hand for a few days and you’ll be fine.”  He glanced at the Kid.  “I’ll be outside if you need me.  I want some time alone to think.”

“Sure, Doc.  And thanks,” replied the Kid, before looking down and letting his fury galloped across his face..

Mac enjoyed the play of emotions. “Ya can’t shoot me now, Curry.  The doc ain’t sure who you are but he will be if’n you perforate me.”

The Kid’s eyes narrowed dangerously and he leaned down close.  Close enough Mac drew back.  “Well, I ain’t gonna have to worry about that if I kill you both, am I?”  Alarm flooded the eyes staring up at him.  “After all, I’m a stone-cold killer, right?”

Both men turned as the doctor came in.  “The sky has clouded over.  It appears we are to finally have our rain.”  A peal of thunder rolled across the peaks and reverberated around the valley.  “Mr. Jones, we will stay here tonight but leave first thing in the morning.”

The Kid shook his head.  “Uh, Doc, I don’t think Joshua is gonna sit a horse.”

Minner smile back at him.  “None of us are.  You, Mr. Jones, are going to use the last of our light to cut down seven straight saplings.  We shall spend our evening constructing two travois, one for Mr. Smith and one for Mr. Lamford.  You and I will lead them and we will walk back to Grand Lake!” he finished triumphantly.

“Walk?” Curry frowned.  “You’re kiddin’, right?”

“I am completely serious.”

Cold blue eyes assessed the doctor.  “I ain’t walkin’ twenty miles back to Grand Lake in these boots.”

“And, as you say, I ain’t ridin’ back to Grand Lake.”  Minner’s chin lifted in challenge.

“I…say…you are.”

“I most certainly am not and, if you wish your partner to be as comfortable as possible, neither are you!”  

The blue eyes faltered and the coldness faded as they clouded with confusion and defeat.

XXX

As the cabin grew darker, the Kid and Minner hunched over their projects trying to fasten strong knots on the cross-braces of each travois.  Heyes was still out.  Mac lounged back and dozed off once in a while, but jerked himself awake.  Sooner or later Curry had to sleep and, when he did, Mac would be ready.

XXX

“Psst, Heyes.  Psst!  Wake up.”

Heyes sat up and reached for his gun only to have his gun arm gripped by the Kid’s firm hand.  He peered up into his partner’s brown eyes.  “What’s wrong?”

Leaning down, Curry lowered his voice even further and whispered, “Mac told him who we are.”

Heyes flopped back and closed his eyes.  “Just once.  Just once couldn’t a job go well?”

A loud, rasping snore erupted from Mac followed by several smaller snorts.

“What’re we gonna do?”

Brown eyes opened.  “We’re gonna get outta here, right now.”

“Heyes, you ain’t fit to ride.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time.”

Curry shook his head.  “We’ll go into Grand Lake, deny everything, and leave as soon as we get you on your feet.”

“Not gonna work.  Mac’ll go to the nearest law and have them pull paper on us.”  Another snore tore the darkness.

A chuckle escaped from Kid Curry.  “Heyes, are you forgettin’?  Those wanted posters don’t have a likeness of us.”

“Are you forgetting the railroad putting up that fat reward will send out someone who can identify us on sight?” hissed Heyes.

The smile slid off Curry’s face. “I did kinda forget that part,” he said sheepishly.

“Well, that’s the part that’ll get us killed.”

“What if we asked the governor for help?”

“Are you crazy?  The governor can’t admit he knows us.  He’d be drummed outta office.”  Heyes ran a hand through his dirty hair.

“What good is doing all these jobs for the governor if he won’t lift a finger to help us?”

“You forget about the amnesty, too?”

“What amnesty?  We’ve done everything we were asked to and I don’t see any,” the Kid paused as Mac’s snoring reached a crescendo before he rolled over and mumbled, “damned amnesties.”

Heyes sighed loudly.  “What if we just gave up?”

“Turn ourselves in?!”

“No, just gave up going after amnesty.”   Heyes waited watching his partner carefully.   “What if we just up and disappear?  Vanish.  Never to be seen again.”

“You mean leave the country.”  The Kid rubbed his chin thoughtfully then dropped his hand.  “No.”

“No?”

“No, Heyes.  I ain’t leavin’ the country.  This is my home.  I flat-out don’t want to go.”

Heyes nodded.  “Me either.  It’s settled then.  We go into Grand Lake.”  He grinned.  “Heck, the worst that’ll happen, we’ll have to bust outta another jail call.”

The Kid smiled back.  “It wouldn’t be the first time.”

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 19 A difference of opinion   June 19  A difference of opinion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

June 19 A difference of opinion
Page 1 of 1