Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22

Go down 
+16
EleanorW
calicole
Gan Ainm
Remuda
Nebraska Wildfire
InsideOutlaw
WichitaRed
sistergrace
Maz
Kid4ever
Dan Ker
Nightwalker
MoulinP
Penski
Calico
RosieAnnie
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Penski
Penski

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 am

"Put the LOCK DOWN". Very clever take on the prompt, Kid4Ever! Poor Kid was down right miserable in that cell. Reminds me of a hot summer coming up. Thank good Heyes got away and was able to rescue his partner. Clever he changed clothes and blended in - liked that. Your deputy Pfeiffer was great – really reminded me of Don Knotts. Wonderful challenge, Kid4ever!

Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Penski:

Right from the beginning I knew this challenge was going to be entertaining 'cos Wheat and Kyle were involved  sm

I liked the idee that Heyes could case the bank while getting change; good ruse.  

It was fun to 'follow' Heyes and Kid as the hunt began. You took us right along with them as they made their way from one hiding place to another as they strove to elude the whole town hunting for them. Very clever, but sometimes disasterous, places they were, too.

I had so many grins  Very Happy  throughout your challenge, but two of my favs were:

- The soiled doves bath scene - very creative place to hide!

- Heyes solving the math problem in the school - I agree with Kid - only Heyes!

I won't give away the ending, but you sure wrapped things up with a bang! excited

Thanks for taking us along on another great adventure! applause

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Kid4Ver: I love it! Heyes used his knowledge of human nature and his ability to bluff to save the day for both of them.

Penski: Fun story! Taking a little tour of the town with our boys, and all the way, they keep moving ahead of the posse. I love it when Kyle saves the day.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 3:43 am

Kid4ever

The deputy - I had to laugh about what kind of name you gave him.
"Pfeiffer" immediately reminded me of an old film called "The Burnt Punch" with the wonderful actor Heinz Rühmann, who always insisted on his name written with three 'f' s.

In your case, of course, he is funny in his own way ... If you regard him as a small self-important nobody with a badge on.
As long as he can hold up the upper hand, he's a big shot.
He'd better have, otherwise he's more of a frightened rabbit.

When such a person encounters a criminal mastermind with a silver tongue in full flow - he'd better back off.
No chance to see through Heyes bluff, even for Kid, who was to be rescued of his lock down in jail.

On top of that we have a reunion with the magic saddlebags containing Heyes nicely folded suit and hat...

Nice story.

Penski

It's always better to listen to a security expert... . But even in their heydays Heyes has a tendency to be too self assured and careless.
And once again, they get themselves into trouble and the city they are supposed to check out is locked down.
As a result they find themselves
on an adventurous escape through the town.

And, how could it be otherwise, a blessing in disguise appears, this time in form of two ladies at a brothel willing to hide them. There could be worse ways to spend some time when you're locked down.... I'm sure they enjoyed the time.

But sometimes, luck doesn't come easily... Funny, their next involuntary hideout doesn't smell so sweet like the former one...

And again, luck turns towards them, this time in form of a little, dirty outlaw with one of his toys...

I like the way how you point out
there are always two sides to every question - in this case an unintentional lock down.
Back to top Go down
Nightwalker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 12:44 am

Kid4ever – The deputy surely was cautious. No way to trick him like so many others. The local lawmen must be pretty proud about their catch, even if they only made it because of Kid Curry’s misfortune. I’m glad that Heyes found his partner soon enough and with his bluff bought them enough time to get away.

Penski – So funny - obviously not one of the boys‘ better days. Heyes and Curry take quite a different stroll through the town. They really stirred everyone up. My, the boys really found the best place to spend the time until the coast was clear again.

Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 11:46 pm

Nebraska Wildfire: I'm so glad you decided to come out and play this month; it's been pretty lonely in here applause

This story caught, and held, my attention from start to finish. Love the creative names of the characters - especially the new aliases for Heyes and Kid. And even though they didn't have a large part in this challenge, it's always a grin moment when I see that Kyle and Wheat are involved  Very Happy

The new characters themselves proved to be intriguing and I found myself wanting to know more about them as the story played out. You gave me just enough to whet my appetite as far as Miss Grace. Makes me wonder if her path will cross Heyes' and Kid's again in the future?   thumbsup

thankyou for providing an entertaining adventure to help alleviate some of the boredom that seems to prevail these days.

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 7:52 pm

Kid4ever: This made me smile. I could see the Kid getting so frustrated with the surfeit of words and Heyes happy to use them to his advantage.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Nebraska Wildfire - I'm so glad you joined in on the fun this month. I'm loving the prompt "grace". Liking their aliases Elijah Rembacker and Horace Miles and how Mr. Rembacker met Miss Gracee Morris. Smart plan checking out the bank and the town. Kind of a sad ending for Miss Morris and Mr. Rembacker. Love outlaw story, including this one. Thanks for posting. applause

Kid4ever - So clever seeing how many different meanings of grace there is. The Kid is having a bad day, especially with the women in Finesse. The elderly woman who gave Curry the sermon had me laughing along with him counting to ten to maintain his patience. Mrs. Manners also had a way with putting him in his place like a mom with a kid. Really laughed at overhearing the women talking about Heyes. I'd go back into the hotel, too, to escape. Heyes reading the book was very much in character. Loved how a bored Kid tried to get his partner's attention. Laughed again how a tired Kid perked up hearing the lack of clothing the three graces wore. What a picture - thanks for the link. Another good challenge!
Very Happy

Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 7:55 am

Nebraska Wildfire

When I checked the word "grace" in the translater, I noticed it has several meanings. I was curious which one you would decide to take; just to be surprised you took none of them but used it as a name!

I admire the way you describe Heyes and Curry's character in their outlaw days.
Clever idea to let them case their future place of robbery in fine businesslike outfits. Life for active outlaws, with increasing temperatures in such a disguise isn't as comfortable as you would think.
It is a real joy to imagine Kid's silent complaint and Heyes' worry he would blow their cover.
Kid plays his role as good as he can master though he isn't feeling at ease as his partner does on these occasions.

Splendid, how you manage to capture the atmosphere between them.
I can easily picture Heyes to act as the distinguished, polite and compassionate businessman.
Very believable for them to use a secret language which doesn't draw too much attention to themselves.
It must have been an interesting conversation Heyes and Miss Morris had on the train, which had an effect on both of them.

It's fun to see how oblivious Kid is sometimes to small, subtle existing atmospheres.
Following sentence is so typical:
"The Kid only noticed the food coming." Simple sentence right to the point in your enjoyable writing style.
Very good Heyes coded telegram, too!

Though, there are some small things I'm asking myself :
1.: How did Miss Morris new the Kid's alias? They weren't introduced before.
2. How did Heyes know the couple sitting next to them was the school board president and how did he know that his assumption of Miss Morris being a teacher is correct?
But, maybe they talked about it during their earlier conversation?

I'm fascinated about the fact how interested Heyes seems to be in this rather stiff woman... Obviously, he's able to see behind the curtain and finds something he likes...

How often does it happen they meet interesting women and can't make a closer acqaintance? Job is job....
But it's so sad to imagine saying good bye to a person to whom, under different circumstances you could feel attracted to, but the way it is they both know they will never meet again.

Your story is a real treat, written in your amazing, unique style.

Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 10:24 am

Kid4ever

Your story is something special.
The approach of involving different meanings of the prompt was enjoyable to read.
I had fun doing an overview of your chosen words.
Some of them belong to areas of the church but the most part have their origin in life of society.
And therefore you can easily draw a connection to the boys.

They lost their fixed place in a family and the possibility was taken away from them to learn more about what's important in a community.
Living in an orphanage at that time during the war is a complete different social hierarchy, where words like
" tactfulness, diplomacy, goodwill, honor, finesse, dignity, decorum, gracefulness , grace period, grace us with your presence..."
get a totally new meaning.

Considering their background and circumstances they received a "good breeding".
Nevertheless Kid feels uncomfortable in this special town because they experienced too little "social graces" or refined "manners".
I'm sure, Heyes, with all his verbal dexterity and natural "charme" will have a nice "distinguished" conversation with Mrs. "Manners" .

L
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Grace   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 11:26 am

Calico: I loved the visual scene your story gave us of the young boys singing out Amazing Grace. It made me smile of such innocence even if they were already getting in trouble. Then the segue to them later in life, with much more serious actions to contemplate, gives us more to think about. Great story, as always.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 10:41 pm

Oh, a bunny hopped for Calico - YAY!!!!  I love childhood stories.  Cute how Jed is singing his heart out and Hannibal is barely singing.  Of course, Han and Esther know all about the author of Amazing Grace.  Oh, is that a mention of Alex Heyes?   I like how you put some history of the  song into your challenge.  So Han-like to come up with forgiveness and the possibility of not having to white wash a fence (maybe next time, Han).  Fast forward and... oh, poor Kid.  Killing, even deserved ones, isn't easy.  Another awesome Calico story (complete with Alex Heyes)!  Thanks for playing with us this month!  two thumbs

Kid4ever

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 12:07 am

Calico: And even the cat came out to play! strcat Your challenge lulled me into a false sense of security with its beginning. The innocence of Han and Jed's youthful singing - even if forced or off tune - the family members, even the choir leader, Mrs. Godfrey all conspired to keep me occupied with a grin at their conversations.

Well, that lasted up until the time change. You wove a tale threaded with "Amazing Grace" that caught, and held, my attention from the beginning to the end. I couldn't help but feel deep sympathy No  for the Kid - a killer at only eighteen with his first notch on his belt. Then, a glimmer of hope with Kid's last thoughts...

I'm glad you joined in on the fun. Thanks for a 'gracing' us with a thought-provoking story applause

Kid4ever

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 12:45 am

Penski:

Oohh, Kid and Heyes are in California! applause I'm curious as to who, or what, brought 'em to - Oh, it's Silky. Hmm...scratch

Wow, what a trip to get there! They sure had to take a LOT of conveyances to make it to their destination. I'm with Kid - it had better be worth it! Suspect However, I DO like the prices back then thumbsup

So, the con man is needing the help of Kid and Heyes to run a con? Should be interesting to see how they make that happen without endangering their amnesty deal, huh?

Great surprise use of the prompt at the end Shocked

I really enjoyed how you interspersed real, factual history with fanfiction to create this story. Thanks for your notes at the end. 

What an interesting plot - at least the part that you've teased us with here in your challenge applause Can't wait to see it after it has been transformed/continued into a VS for next year yes

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 4:13 am

Calico

With the beginning of your story you immediately draw me back to your wonderful childhood stories.

A joyful reunion with a young Hannibal (and not to forget Esther Curry!), full of energy, listening to his dignified teacher and his only thoughts are " let's get over this as fast as possible.."

Gorgeous how he picks up the only important great sentence for him "Nothing is so bad it can't be forgiven" with the little limitation "as long as you are truly sorry" and "you get human forgiving only after punishment".

Funny to see the way Kid tries hard to contribute to the discussion but isn't as nimble - minded as his friend and quickly is at a loss for words.

I loved how you seized Jed's gazing up at the sky in his youth as well as in remembering the same scene 11 years before.
I like it how you made them start asking themselves the same question - if you have committed something real bad like Kid has, will he get to heaven? Will he be forgiven the bad things he had done and achieve the Grace of God?

Perhaps he won't get out of his human punishment, but maybe he has a chance to get divine forgiveness - if he's truly sorry, there might be a chance.
And that's more than he can hope for it.

Very good story.

Back to top Go down
Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 11:11 am

1) Nebraska Wildfire

Hello there Nebraska … let me get my cup of tea. Slurp.

Elijah Rembacker and Horace Miles. Wow. Those are not cool aliases – smile.
Oh, to be caught around my corseted waist by a Hannibal Heyes.
Oh, Nebraska … let down your hair, take off those glasses … (I could do the second, but am a bit close cropped for number one).

Bless Kyle – love him keeping spare dynamite in his hat.

Now… are the two ladies and their brother also planning something??

Awwww … am also loving HH’s silver tongue failing him. He really likes Grace. Sniff. Awwww – and a silent good-bye she will never see!
BIG sniff. Awww. Liked that.

2) Kid4ever

Hello there Kid4Ever… Oooooh yes, it is a word with many many possibilities.

Poor old Kid – first he has to wait, then his social graces come in for a drubbing!

“Well, I never!”
“I bet you haven't!”

Yeehaw!! ‘Tis an old joke but always welcome – smile.

Goodwill … Finesse …Charming … Manners … Dear Kid4Ever.

And loving Kid becoming suddenly interested in seeing three Nekkid Graces.

Clever and Fun there, Kid4..

3) Calico

Hello you mangy old fleabag … I thought they only let you out on Halloween.
You do realise careful readers – and what other kind do you have – realise that the first half of your story has bits and bobs in common with ‘Away in a Manger – No Script for a Jed’ and in the second half you’ve done a bit of reworking of a little section of ‘Resolutions’. You were supposed to be doing something playing on ‘There but for the Grace of…’
Lazy, lazy cat.

(What’s that? Well LEAVE the month end figures then! Everywhere’s shut – how long can they take?]

4) Penski

Hello there VS Mistress … Good heavens !! The start of a VS – you shame us all.

And a little reminder of how interesting historic San Francisco is as a bonus.

It DOES sound a bit like the bust of Ceasar scenario.

I like Grace Turner – good and clever, and loses with a good grace (but could win next time against the boys.)

Well, well Penski … you have laid out a tempting little opener for us there.
Back to top Go down
Dan Ker

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 2:11 am

Penski

OK, I have to admit I'm very bad at geography.
Just to have an imagination I googled Denver - San Francisco and realized it's over 2000 km apart!
So, Heyes was right, they traveled in quite a good time.
Heyes always remembers whom he owes something and it's understandable he appeals to Kid's conscience they have to follow Silky's request.

I like all the work you put in your story with your thorough background checks.

You manage to capture Silky's character to the series, including his brusque manners.
Kid always seems to be a little intimidated by him but I admire Heyes's way of handling. He often goes on the offensive in order to place himself on the same level with him. At the same time he has no problems in front of him to confess if he doesn't understand something.
You take all that into account.

I love the scene when they sit down and cross their legs in unison, lively and close to the series, too.
And finally, im delighted to meet Grace Turner again, this fascinating woman, who both of the boys are attracted to.
I would like the idea it's their first meeting after their last mutual dinner and wonder, how they must feel and whom she will spend more attraction to...
Looking forward to your next VS episode.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Letter of the Law   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 7:21 pm

Nightwalker: What a great explanation of why Grace recognizes the Kid and not...you know who. I might be dazzled by those blue eyes too, if I saw them first. And Heyes at his finest, spinning tales and dreaming big dreams. A lovely story to read tonight. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Nightwalker - Loved this explanation of why Grace Turner may know Kid Curry, but not Hannibal Heyes. Great that you took on the challenge to explain. Yep, Curry blue eyes would have distracted me from the rest of the robbery, too. A fanfic story had Heyes demanding Kid Curry shave when joining the DHG because he wanted him to distract the womenfolk. From your challenge, it definitely worked. Loved it! thumbsup

Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Letter of the Law   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 am

Remuda: Your story made me see young Jed, struggling so, but also triumphing, and maybe a man of the law in the end.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 10:48 am

Remuda - Love childhood stories and this one is no exception.  Loved seeing Jed struggling in school with his writing assignment and how his young mind worked to figure out the problem.  Cute having a Miss Smith and a Miss Jones for teachers.  And Jed is just as smart as his older cousin/friend - he just doesn't have the self-confidence Hannibal has.  He even stumped his teacher with his answer.  Cute story!

cool

Remuda

Remuda

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Nightwalker
First, loving the "B. Cute" as the sheriff's name. Was the "Sheriff Bell" a reference to his first name?

Otherwise, interesting idea how Grace Turner could have come to know Curry but not Heyes. However, after reading it several times, I'm confused as to a couple of things. First, if the boys were random, unknown stage robbers when her stage was held up, how could she have identified Kid Curry by name years later when she wired US authorities from Mexico if she didn't know his name? She might have recalled his looks and demeanor but wouldn't have any reason to pinpoint him as Curry, especially when there were no likenesses of him. Second, why was Heyes in disguise, and why would the sheriff have arrested him if he were just checking out stage schedules? If Heyes was at the robbery, why wouldn't none of three young women have remembered him at all? Perhaps I'm missing something or overthinking it, but I like the idea overall.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 8:23 am

Remuda - You didn't miss anything, there are just weak points in the story. ;-)
And you are right about "Sheriff Bell" which is a remnant of an earlier version. I've got to apologize. I'm not as thoughtful as usual at the moment.

Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Dan - You posted your FIRST challenge!  So excited for you.  Oh, my first one was about childhood, too, but super short.  Heyes stealing for this little cousin and Jed backing up his big cousin.  Love it.  Heyes learned at a young age that knowledge is power, especially knowledge against the authorities.  Bartering for needed items is always a good thing, too.  Now is this a Heyes plan or a Heyes scheme?  Pretty devious one!  Boy, did it work perfectly, too!  Loved the ending when Heyes asks Jed about his times tables.  Looking forward to reading more stories from you, Dan!  sm

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am

1) Nightwalker

B.Cute? Isn’t that a stage instruction to the two boys?
Loving the descriptions from the trio of outlaw appreciators.
Also loving that oh so familiar silver tongued unmentionables salesman.

Awww – so this is early in their careers before the trains. That was – forgive me, - VERY cute Nightwalker.

2) Remuda

Hello there Remuda – nice to see you challenging again!! And, not even last under the wire.

Ooooh, a very literal take on the prompt. Clever.

And, well done Jed for standing up to the teacher. Channelling Hannibal. And a little ironic prediction to close. ALSO cute – and clever.

3) Penski

Hello there VS Mistress – oh, it’s a long time since I saw the Crazy Lorraine episode.

Ooooh – and a missing scene, because dear old Lom would have been disappointed.

(You’ve left a writer’s note in Penski Add parts about Lom telling Kid & Heyes they can have guns back if they give him all the bullets )

Which – is pretty clever of Lom.

Oh – and we have a reason why we had a season two ‘Another Year of staying out of trouble’ Another clever one there Penski.

Hello there Dan Ker ... And I see this is your FIRST challenge - welcome

Oh poor young Heyes having flashbacks to when he lost his family.

Tut tut tut! Misappropriating funds meant for orphans. I sense a comeuppance coming.

I can think of a few ladies on the board who would trade bacon for a kiss from the kid.
This afternoon Han and Jed waited till Perry was alone and then crossed his path.
We have an exploding pipe in preparation??? Do we??
YES!!! what a lovely visual scene.

And Heyes has framed a snitch – he does like to get even, huh?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22   Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019  to ... April 22 - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments - May 1st 2019 to ... April 22
Page 7 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next