Share | 

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 am

9) CAC

Ooooerrrr – is our Heyes going to be led astray??
Oh Robert. Framing other people is mean.
Bad feeling here… is this another step in our boys’ bad luck??

Oh, Jed. I’m really sure there’s another way here.

The ‘I never want to see another gun’ line made me sniff. Awwww. And again, AWWWW.

10)

Hello Wire Dodger!! Under you slip. Careful.

Like geese huh? Our boys like to go south for the winter.

Aw. The light of the fire might be drawing their loved ones to them. Sigh. If only.

Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:30 am

Cornelia May: Halloween
Oh cool, I have been on three paranormal investigations this fall… this should be fun to read.
I like your descriptions of what she has caught, felt familiar and even more the taking time to describe getting through the gate..from the baling wire to the truck, felt like I was there. And, deadline point..that was perfect. Like the residual haunting scene… a female disembodied voice, that is interesting, considering the rules of the Devil’s Hole. Hmmmm? Cool tale, thanks for sharing

WichitaRed

Maz: Halloween
“We’re supposed to stay out of trouble,” Heyes reminded him unnecessarily.
Kid met his friend’s steely gaze. “And yet it still finds us.”
Boy howdy, if’n that is not there entire lives wrapped in two lines. Good Job, Maz.
Nice set up, Maz…enjoyed the friendly sheriff and your tongue in cheek play on words. Cute!
As always your dialogue is spot on…favorite was this.
“No, but I might forget which man I came here to shoot.”
Heyes feigned hurt and looked pointedly in both directions.

WichitaRed

Cal: Halloween

Shot and not letting himself be seen too…why does that somehow seem correct? Love, Kid asking if’n he’d put the gun down. LOLOLOL…okay the bunnies, I thought this is where the tale was going and I love that it did. Poor…Maz….such a reputation.
HA..LOLOL “Hey…. I didn’t leak from nowhere” he said, rather annoyed again “
Little bit of tun…great showing.

WichitaRed

Remuda: Halloween
Nice overall descriptions, really gives one a feeling of being there with them. Nice respite into his past and the warmth he shared softly with Heyes’ return….good tale. Thanks for sharing.

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Alias Alice – Heyes and Curry get a little different form of entertainment by going to a scary play – great thing to do on Halloween. I watched a spooky movie myself. A ghost story with a real ghost? That would be a spooky way to end the show. I’d be a nervous Nellie and leaving town, too. Very good.

applause

Calico – My heart be still… Calico wrote a challenge! Oh, I have to go back and read your Dec 2012 challenge (by the way, there were some good stories there). The great story teller Heyes is at is again. I never heard of a doppelganger before. I’ll have to google that. Heyes is feeling odd and avoiding the window. It’s the Heyes and Curry we know outside. Okay, that was kinda sad and spooky at the same time. Hope you’re not a strange and write more – you’ve been missed!

applause

Cornelia May – We get to do some ghost hunting at Devil’s Hole! What a great scene to witness and get a wink from the dark-haired one is special. Hmm… who was the female voice? Inquiring minds want to know, Cornelia May.

applause

Maz – My heart be still… Maz wrote a challenge, too! Great description and dialog – you haven’t lost your touch, Maz. Oh, someone dared to call Kid Curry out and Heyes reluctantly goes to support his partner. Oh, oh, the sheriff is coming. Hal Owen… very clever, Maz!

applause

Cal – Oh no, Heyes is hurt and bleeding! Operation! Heyes is in a wood seeing Calico, Maz, and bunnies? I love it. That’s right, Cal, you have to take him back. Aww… Heyes survives once more so one of us can shoot him again. Very cute!

applause

Cac – I love stories of when the boys were boys. “Mischief night” – I just learned about Devil’s Night. That Nick and Robert are up to no good. Heyes and the cook are blamed, just as planned. Oh, Jed is developing the “look”. Well, not the best plan and meant they had to leave the Home for Waywards, but they’re still young.

applause

Remuda – Goodness, my heart be still… Remuda wrote a challenge! Beautiful descriptive writing! Very simple and forlorn. I love the mention of Grandpa Curry in stories. Very good!

applause

So glad to have some of you back writing a challenge!!

Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm

"Watching the parade go by"

And the first one outta the gate is Wichita Red – Very nice visual of Heyes getting up, making coffee, helping himself to something to eat and reading on the porch. A parade of townsfolks to the cemetery? I’ll have to google that, too. It’s a very nice tradition. Gotta love Kyle and the boys talking about their conquests the night before. Oh, Heyes is getting all sentimental about his departed ones. It takes a good partner to change the mood of one in falling in despair. Loved it!

applause

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Wichita:  Such lovely imagery, with Heyes and his chunky coffee, Lottie telling him he needs a woman, and the Kid comforting him.

I really enjoyed the tone of this chapter.
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Parade   Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:30 pm

I know...I haven't finished up October yet ... but

WR - What a lovely and sombre chapter of your Destiny Cycle.... loved the chat on the porch and the incite that there is a lot of the boy in more than just Kid.  The scene at the picket fence was raw.  Not often you see the boys so open with their hearts on their sleeves.  Enjoyed the moment but I was glad for the bloomers banter to get them back in the saddle.  As others have said...lovely imagery...particularly like Heyes' soft words compared to the falling oak leaves.

I am going back to complete the October challenges...having trouble finding quiet moments this month.
Back to top Go down
cac

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

The rest of October:

NM: “You do know that Jasleen is currying favor by cooking a curry for Kid Curry, don’t ya.” You had a little fun with this one, didn’t you? ☺️

Liked the banter about Lancelot and Galahad. Nice touch. Unexpected in this story about Indians and right on the money with the characters.

AA: The desk clerk is hilarious! He has 2 lines!

The boys MUST have the oddest, surreal experiences like this. Going from town to town, each one so separate from the others even though they were linked with the telegraph and train, travelers must have experienced some truly unexplainable things, even if not ghosts per se.

Calico: What great writing, showing how Heyes builds up the boys as well as the suspense, introduces your theme twist, and what crazy-good different ghost descriptions!: “You’re tough, like Bill Wilson.  If he’d thought it was nothing but a mist-ghost behind him, he would have turned to face it.  Same if he’d thought it was a skeleton type ghost – its rotting flesh hanging from its chalky bones, its hollow eye sockets the home to writhing grave worms, its mouth a gaping, cavernous maw issuing forth a hooowwwlll of despaaaaaaair…”
Two small bottoms wriggled back further in their chairs as the ghostly sound echoed in the darkened room.  Sure, Nate and Alex knew it was only a story, but – still.
“Like I say, if Bill Wilson had an ordinary ghost following him – he’d have turned around.  After all, there’s nothing so scary as what you only imagine might be there.  But, Bill knew he couldn’t turn around.  He must never - never - see the face of what followed him.  No, sir - never.  In case…”  

The mustache! Perfect for the story with them having a family, as in Posse-Quit.

I really liked this. I like how each “set” had regrets or at least wonderings. Isn’t that life? Yep.

CM: VERY funny, the gentle humor you’re poking at the typical “paranormal investigators” in this early scene ☺️

Great detail, her honking the horn. Nice.

Maz: Succinct, clever, and perfect for Halloween.

Love your dialogue as always!: “No, but I might forget which man I came here to shoot.”
Heyes feigned hurt and looked pointedly in both directions. “Don’t seem like much of a choice at the moment. You sure you got the right day?”

Cal:
This is one of the most creative stories I’ve read in a long time. And fun! I love this:
“I’ve got me a live Kid Curry… preparing for a gunfight …and a very un-shot Heyes… ready to stand at his side…. I didn’t shoot him…. Not this time…. anyway….”
Calico squeezed the cuddly white bunny to her chest and looked serenely happy as her eyes briefly closed.
“Well …. I’ve got them facing up to … what might have beens…. with not even a mention of shootings… And Heyes is a well-dressed …. well educated doctor! So… HE….has to be with you!”
Maz looked confused briefly, then fascinated.
“OOOOh ….that’s really interesting…. A doctor… and no one gets shot…. Not even Kid… Not even a little bit?”
“No… It’s a bit of a stretch but …”

And no fair! You get to hold Heyes’ hand!
And really, if Kid knew more about some American bunnies [cough Playboy] he might prefer those bunnies even more than not getting shot by Maz.

Remuda:
The set-up of Kid being under the weather makes his musings all the more believable. The sun’s rays, like a star, like the candles…so true to how our minds will wander, sometimes on the mundane, and sometimes on precious memories that we often don’t take the time to actually think on. Well captured.

Sigh. So how do I vote? I've picked 4!
Back to top Go down
Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks everyone for the reviews on October's challenge story. I've seen a theme play out with everyone wondering who the disembodied voice belongs to. I had and author's note at the beginning, but when I copied it from my one drive file to here the AN didnt come through. Basically the story I wrote for this year is a continuation of last year's and is an alternate universe that I've thought about for a while. The voice is that of Sarah Parker, the shadow that appeared in the window of last years challenge. I also plan on editing this to the dog Bear have a more active part.

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am

Nebraska Wildfire - Your challenge is very unique and quite fitting for the Halloween season!  I could almost hear Rod Sterling’s voice reading the first paragraph as he did at the start of each Twilight Zone episode.  ghoulish  You used narrative very effectively, and my attention never once waned throughout the entire piece.  Truly wonderful writing and I sincerely hope that you continue this story.  

(P.S. A nurse named Ann Morgan tending to an injured Curry?!) two thumbs

Wichita Red - I really like tales set in the outlaw days.  Good plan set forth by HH and KC.  I appreciate your knowledge of horses. bronc   It shows through well in your writing.  Good one!

nm131 - Wonderful story!  Well researched and well written.  Laughed at the part where Heyes confirms that there are indeed train robbers in the area.  And this: “You do know that Jasleen is currying favor by cooking a curry for Kid Curry, don’t ya.” (All said whilst Curry curries a horse.) This line was great too:  “Well your name is Kid, Kid.” Heyes was immune to the blue-eyes gunslinger’s glare. draw

Alias Alice - The townsfolk were smart to finally build at the other end of town!  A fun and spooky Halloween tale. hauntedhouse

Calico - Oooo...Edgar Allen Poe.  How much more Halloween-ish could a writer's inspiration get?  Oh.  Ohhhh!  Oh my goodness.  I've just gone all goose-pimple y.  I don't suppose it'd be enough to just say this story is fantastic, but it sure is.  caitsh  You chased down that Poe bunny and roped 'im up for us real good.  Welcome back!  

Cornelia May - I wouldn't be surprised at all to find Devil's Hole haunted by the ghosts of HH and KC, Cornelia.  After all, Heyes and Curry were definitely more than your average "pair-o-normal" men.   13smilie Happy Hauntings!

Maz - So spooky!  (Shiver, shiver, shiver)  Happy Hal-Owen to you too, Miz Maz!  Aaawwwooo!   wolf

Cal - This was fun, Cal!  Reminded me a little of a trip taken by a gal named Alice whilst she was chasing a rabbit too. I'm glad that Calico, Maz, and YOU all managed to wrangle a bunny this month!  cowboy

cac - A night of mischief surely turned into a nightmare of scared kids making bad decisions. wanted  Definitely a scary story.

Remuda - A very well written piece with just the right amount of spookiness for Halloween!   blackcat Nice to see one of your challenges posted again, Remuda.

PostSubject: Halloween   Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:09 am

OK!...Finally have five minutes to myself.....

Alias Alice.... I liked this from the get go....Woman in Blue? I heard of the WI Black and WI White....guessed we were in for some creepy ghosty stuff. I too liked Kid's assertion that he wouldn't be going only to have them coming out of the performance next beat.... very true to the series comedy there. A real ghost at the play... that would make for a great performance.... hope she knew her lines.... and the typical western panacea....lets have a drink ...lol.  Excellent use of the narrated "what happened next".... Good read for Halloween (And I did read it then....just been dodging about trying to find a minute to comment)

Calico - this is an honor....love your work.... and other creepy, near stalker phrases that apply.....
Love that we're drawn in through the quote and the story teller in full gory flow... sets a very Halloween tone from the get go. Aw ...Alex and Nate.... aw ....just aw.... Loving Mary's use of the full "Hannibal" to pull the story teller back from the brink. Like that doppelganger myth...is that one of your own...or did you read it somewhere? Poe? Great banter between the boys about their sliding doors moment, and I was left feeling neither pair was happy, inside or outside, which was unsettling. Well done.... left me ....thinking...Ooooer!

Nelia - Don't spare our feelings. You get straight in there with a massacre!  Only joking...love the Paranormal investigating angle....you've peaked my interest. I know others have said it ...but the three blasts on the horn is genius. Loving the glimpse of the excited riders returning to their lair...bet they had orbs flying everywhere! The creepy disembodied voice has me guessing too. Enjoyed that.
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Halloween   Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 am

Maz - Yey! Love your challenges....

That was bitter sweet banter between the boys...think Heyes would have loved to stop him...perhaps Kid was a bit disappointed Heyes didn't try harder.... as they got older and went straight ...gunfights must have felt like a huge backward step for both of them ...and yet...as Kid says, trouble always found them.

Love the High noon 'crack, and the "which man to shoot" wise crack... pure AS&J gold... and the pun... least said soonest mended!

Cal - What the...????

cac - That was a different angle on the boys leaving the Home... As I read it the pair went from boys to men in my minds eye...how clever of you.  I like the idea that becoming outlaws wasn't a choice they made ...but being the best they could be at being outlaws ...given their fate... was their choice.  Very interesting challenge.

Remuda -  Read like poetry...with some lovely imagery...particularly liked...shaking cobwebs from his brain... I liked the appraisal of their options, and the decision, not to decide...seemed very them somehow. Some enjoyable quiet reflections on the part of the Kid... we also light the candles.... He's right ...it is a very reassuring thing to do... I think he should share that reminiscence with Heyes. Very fitting for the season.

...Sorry all for the delay in my feedback...I will try and do better.
Back to top Go down
cac

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Cal-I was thinking about how incongruous it is that they are comfortable with stealing and yet not with shooting people. I wondered why, so I played with the 2 sets of boys and their personal principles.

I also teach some rough kids and have seen the progression for some of them from troubled boys to felons over the years. Sometimes they progress as "Robert" does or "Nick" or our boys, either falling into it or with eyes wide open.

I think I'm pretty good at coming up with interesting ideas, but I wish I could match the dialogue and character development of you ladies!
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm behind so I'm playing catch up

October

Cornelia May - A paranormal investigator is a nice way to develop the theme but cripes a massacre. You really created a nice atmospheric somewhat disturbing creepy story with a short amount of words, Kudos to you!

Maz- - All I'm going to say is Hal Owen. shakes head

Please keep writing, I can never get enough of your stories, even if Cal's characterization in the plot bunny offering is true. (maybe because I love those bunnies even if they turn Kid into Swiss Cheese Curry)

Cal- Gotta save all those bunnies, even the small ones. And we all know the kind of bunnies Kid would have been dreaming of the ones with bunny ear headbands, little silk collar bowties, and black satin corsets with fluffy white tails.

I'd say you wrote very well about Halloween, poor Heyes, he's the one with the good imagination.

cac - You always have an interesting take on things and this was true to about the beginnings of an outlaw career. The similarities and contrasts between the two sets of friends was a interesting look into how character plays into even the worst of decisions.

Remuda - Glad to see you posting again here. The quiet contemplative story fit right into the autumnal season.

November

Wichita Red -This was a nice interlude in the Destiny Cycle story. We occasionally see a thoughtful philosophical Heyes but seldom a sentimental heart on his sleeve Heyes. You handled that with a subtle deft touch, very well done and not overdone.

P.S. To Calico, regarding your question on Amandeep. I pulled the name off a goodle list of Punjabi boy names, it could be unisex for all I know. I don't know all that much about Indian names other than most of the Indians that I know have very long difficult to pronounce names if your were reading them. I almost used the Indian nurses on my staff's names but I didn't want to have to keep typing Soosamatha, Sandhyakusuma, or Vahnijaya so I picked shorter names from a list.
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:19 am

Alias Alice, Watching the Parade Go By

Never head of ‘Hobson’s choice’, I had to look it up. As far as I know, that is a phrase that has not made it across the pond and if ‘n so, it is used very sparingly. Over here we call it a ‘Catch 22’ but, really ‘Hobson’s Choice’ fits better. Thanks for the new phrase.

Quick to the point and lots of fun. Good moment in their lives, you had the banter down perfectly. Many grins reading this early this morning, thanks for a good kick start to my day.

Great lines

“…Damn this amnesty!  Whose idea was it?”
“Yours.”
“Was it?  Well, you should have  talked me out of it!”

“And I can’t speak Australian.”
“Nope.  You could learn though.  Easier than Spanish.”

“And I thought you always say you like music!"
“I do like music! That's why I’d like you to shut up!"

WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:28 am

CAC, Watching the Parade Go By

I am really got a Kenny Rogers, 'Gambler' vibe the moment you mention the old man with the deck of cards.  Let’s see where you go…..oh my, it is exactly where you are going. Funny how songs, can bring a whole story line to life in your mind…it has happened to me to. And, amazingly, I have never read of anyone using this quite obvious song before. I do not normally like stories of them old and especially dying, but somehow this felt right. Maybe it was the great lyrics, but from here on out…I am positive I will think of your gambler when I hear the song.  Yup, I know I will. Thanks.  :0)  Oh and very tongue in cheek with your boy's name....good one.

Good lines
….  the night had drawn dow
….like your image of the dangling cigarette that he finished before Kenny had to retrieve.

Cac, you mentioned you wished you could match some of our dialogue or character development.

Here are a few tricks which assisted me years ago.

Listen to a show and type or write out the dialogue. I mean really try to type out what is being said and how it is said. Putting dialogue you hear down on to paper teaches you more about how to write it. But the real trick is, you cannot just use a bunch of quotes and grammar, you got to try to create the whole feel for what they are saying and doing.

Characterization: on-line there are loads of question sheets you can get for creating stronger and better characters. Find some that are pretty extensive and use them for Kid and Heyes. I mean, really, really fill them out...you think you know them, but as you build a dossier on them for your writing world you will learn a lot more about them. In doing this, you will find them stronger when you write. And, for your in between characters, I always remember what Stephen King said, "even a throw away character feels they are important in their own mind" So, I try to make even my throw away characters distinct in some way. Hope this is helpful, they are tricks I used ages ago when I was teaching myself how to write. I, literally, not figuratively, but literally could not write at all when I started this gambit and you think my grammar is bad now...whoo weee, you should have seen it when I began.

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Watching the parade go by ...   Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Oooo ... a nice batch of stories for me to read.

Alias Alice: I’d not heard of Hobson’s choice either, but thought I figured it out okay by context.
I loved the lighthearted mood in this story, similar to the series, what with cattle drives, singing, and jobs that are too hard on the back. My favorite line was learning to speak Australian.

cac: You had me wondering for a moment, who the farm boy might be, in some alternative story line, but then clarified it with the introductions. Kenny, huh? I loved the Gambler theme throughout, so appropriate and evocative of Heyes’ life. It might be where I am in my life, but I really enjoyed this retrospective. It seemed that Heyes had led a good life, and had one last bit of wisdom to impart, that would make a great difference. My favorite line: “the secret to surviving was knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep. Friendship, a deck of cards, your gun.“ Perfect.

Maz: Ooooo....a perfectly detailed Hannibal Heyes plan ... that goes awry. That’s never happened ... And Huggins having to make notes? Of what Heyes is saying? (Does this have anything to do with WichitaRed and her suggestions on how to write dialogue for the boys? Just kidding...) And Riggs?? Martin maybe? Or not? Lovely and fun.

WichitaRed: Sincere thanks for your suggestion. I’ve listened to the boys’ dialogue, trying to write better, but I’ve not actually written down scenes. I will have to try that.

Back to top Go down
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Maz, watching the parade go by

You ever wonder how many times in a week, Kid has to say, “Wheat.”

Way fun use of the parade, although I was looking forward to seeing his plan in use, but probably not as much as the disappointed outlaw leader. I like that he would not have to use the particular talent a drawing blindfolded ....that was a cute line. Thanks for writing, it was fun

cac

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:03 pm

WR: That’s great advice. The funny thing is, I’ve taught English in past years and can tell you exactly what great writing is. I can take apart just about any kind of writing and explain what makes this great and that effective and the other not so good…but it’s a WHOLE different deal altogether to try to write it yourself! When I give myself a few months and then read back over something I wrote, I know when something doesn’t work but don’t have a clue how to make it work. So I think I’ll try the dialogue writing first. I’ve never done anything like that, so it’ll be interesting to see what comes of that. Thank you for your suggestions!

I thought your comment on King’s writing that even minor characters should be memorable was good. One of my favorite lines from all of last month was in Alias Alice’s story with the desk clerk’s pride in his two lines in the play.

I don’t like end-of-life stories much either-they are generally sappy, and I don’t like sentimentality in general. But I was too taken with following all the details of the song (and as many of the lyrics as possible!), so there you have it ☺️

NW: “farm boy” as in The Princess Bride?! That’s what I think of with “farm boy” now that you mention it! Now that would be a tough alternate universe story. Agh. Not terribly appealing, although it is a little funny trying to picture Heyes and the Kid watching Inigo Montoya do his thing.
~~~~~~~~
November:

WR: I like how we’ve gotten to know Lottie and her place over the last few months. She’s a sort of Jenny character to me.

I like how Heyes “savors” his awful coffee.

I also thought it was a solid, believable reference that Heyes makes to when he was shot and felt his mom holding him. I can totally buy into him getting emotional, thinking of that  near-death experience which wasn’t so long ago for him.

AA: “mutton stew”!! Yeah, that’s a great reason to not go to Australia! Sigh. And then, like the cows/symbolic sheep, Heyes suggests they join. Nice imagery and symbolism. No wonder Heyes doesn’t like it, regardless of the wear on the back.

Maz: “The man named Huggins was seated at the table scribbling on a piece of paper.
“Huggins, you listenin’?” Kid asked.
Huggins looked up. “Sure, just making a note.”
“Of what?” Wheat asked.
“What Heyes is saying, so I know what I gotta do.”
“You gotta keep watch, at the back of the bank,” Heyes informed him and the man scribbled it down on the paper.
Kid and Heyes exchanged a look. Kid shrugged.”

Oh, just EXCELLENT humor for the readers!
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm

cac: I was just thinking of the our boys, when you mentioned farm boys, from Kansas. Surprised? (Can I admit that’ve never seen The Princess Bride?)
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

cac - NW: “farm boy” as in The Princess Bride?! That’s what I think of with “farm boy” now that you mention it! Now that would be a tough alternate universe story. Agh. Not terribly appealing, although it is a little funny trying to picture Heyes and the Kid watching Inigo Montoya do his thing.

OMG! - what a brilliant thought an ASJ rippoff/parody/adaptation of "The Princess Bride". Not appealing you say, au contraire. I'm going to be on the hunt for just the right moment to bring that to life. Although, It would be a tough AU. I've seen that movie so many times and played it to my children that I have large chunks of dialogue memorized verbatim. "Hello, my name is Kid Curry, you killed my family. Prepare to die." In addition to the DVD, I actually own the book by William Goldman as well as Cary Elwes' book "As You Wish", which is a kind of making of type book - easy and entertaining reading.

Nebraska Wildfire - You are young. You have missed out on one of the comedy classics. "The Princess Bride" is a great movie, in a hard to define genre, with many classic and memorable quotes that people of mature years would know. It is worth renting, downloading, borrowing a DVD.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Alias Alice - Thanks for the entertaining story. The boys must have seen way too many parades of cattle in their time for their liking. The banter was clever and echoed the series regarding the speaking the language and Kid's singing (which I don't think was that bad, when he wasn't intentionally making it bad).
cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cow2 cowboy

cac - Good use of the song by Kenny Rodgers, and good use of the artists name. I can definitely picture Heyes just like this. I also liked the nod to your other stories with the girl named Canada (The name is growing on me for real) and Moose Jaw.

It's funny how we associate things and people with songs. For me "Desperado" by the Eagles or the cover by Linda Ronstadt signifies Heyes, while the Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" always has me thinking of Kid.

train blackjack chips poker horsepoker Ace Ace Ace Ace

Maz - Oh poor Heyes, all that work just to see a parade of men is soldier blue stomp all over a Hannibal Heyes plan. Dear Kyle only he could get away with informing the leader that "it looks like a parade" with a smile and could keep his smile. Huggins, huh, scibbling things down, making notes - I must have missed that episode.

safe gold coins writing Mad
Back to top Go down
cac

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 am

NM, I went to sleep last night thinking about Princess Bride and our boys. How about this scene, although it may suit Maz more :) : Kid's shot, Heyes brings him to Miracle Max: "Good news! He's just MOSTLY dead!" Hehe. Can you picture a desperate Heyes with Miracle Max and his wife?!

And then throw Kyle in there? Maybe Kyle could bring in the Kid. That would be hilarious. Maybe they could be Kyle's long-lost parents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next