HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am

Oh Mistress Maz:  How do you show your love?

"You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn't hurt at all
You always take the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall."

It's always a pleasure when you give us a scene between the boys; great banter and fun visuals, with Kid pulling off Heyes boot, and then Heyes jumping around to get it on again. How about a story where Kid becomes the politician and Heyes becomes the sheriff? Might be fun!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Maz

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Rosie Annie Love harry Briscoe telling the tale to Jenkins or was it Johnson? lol2

And NM131 Love the Yellowstone Rangers and Kid Curry being the hero. A great idea for some rip-roaring tales. applause

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm

NM 131: I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't care. I love your Yellowstone series. I want to read Curry's book. I want Heyes to write his book. And I want someone to make this into a TV series. The more you give of this, the more I want.

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 pm

nm131 - What RosieAnnie said! Loved it! two thumbs

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 am

Maz:  I'm with Heyes on this one.  Why haven't you given them amnesty?  But then the Kid is right as usual, watching for the posse, and not letting his mind wander like Heyes.  Fun piece, as always.

RosieAnnie:  Harry Briscoe in all his rambling glory.  You have his nuances perfect.  This story made me smile and laugh.  Thank you.

nm131:  I love national parks, and I love the boys.  What can be better than your stories that put them together, with such historical details?  I have such fond memories of visiting Yellowstone with my parents, and then with my children.  It is so nice to see the boys settling there and doing so well.  I want to read their books too.
Back to top Go down
Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 am

1) Maz

First filly out of the stalls is Maz.

Dear old Kid. There are lots of things he could be if he ever escaped from Maz’s cellar. Yup Sherriff is a possible. Or a Marshall! Bigger shinier badge.
What could be more pleasant than a simple two hander between our two boys?

2) RosieAnnie

It is our current bandanny winner. Hi there Rosie.
Oh, we all love Harry. Is the youngster going to win a Pulitzer price all thanks to our Harry?
Come on, Harry. Start at the beginning. Go on to the end. Then stop.

Please may I also have a linear stream of consciousness?

Love the digression on song. And the laboured joke on the black eye.

Aww bless you Harry. Pretty much the truth – with a little varnish.

Really, really enjoyed that Rosie

3) nm131

We’re back in Yellowstone. Huzzah. Ooooh is he going to refuse to shoot a little bear?

Aw bless, love that Heyes can only sign well under Kid Curry.

It’s a surprise party! Well, that surprised me. Lovely.

And its second place in the dime novels that bugs Heyes most. Good story set up NM.

4) Nebraska Wildfire

So, what happened in Sevierville? Nice opening hook, Nebraska.

Oooh, so Heyes was the one that fired? In all the trains and banks they robbed he probably did kill someone after all.

Very telling story, NW.

5) InsideOutlaw

Poor boys – cold and posse chased again.
Oh, Kid, I think it was only the script writers thought you got most lady attention – snirt.

It’s THAT night. Ah. We have here a missing scene. Good stuff.

So, Kid is persuading his silver tongued partner to pitch for amnesty? I can see that.

Clever, clever use of the prompt.

6) Sistergrace

It is the board’s good gal! (Maybe)

So the Smith and Jones names bug the Kid, huh? But they give us writers so many; ‘Smith and Jones, yeah right.’ Moments.

OH … so they’ve run across their name doubles?

Laughed out at the ‘Hotchiss’ pay off line.

They were going by John and Paul … please let them now try George and Ringo.

Very good tale of how the boys became Joshua and Thaddeus.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 am

Nebraska Wildfire: The boys were mellow and looking back, but you got me wondering -- what happened after? The bank manager probably died, so that was murder. Were the bank robbers ever identified? Were any of the others caught, or did they all get away? That's the hallmark of a good story, you know. You got me thinking about it, long after I finished reading it.

Inside Outlaw: You are definitely a master at setting up a scene. The little details bring it to life for me. Heyes can smell the gunpowder permeating his jacket. A boulder like an open fan resting against a buxom woman's chest. And why didn't they save any money along the way? A hard truth -- they didn't expect to live long. Good stuff as always, IO.

Sister Grace: Yeah, there are an awful lot of people named Smith and Jones there, and apparently a lot of crooks with limited imaginations. Lom's a good guy, but if the pilot episode is any indication, he didn't always think fast. Bad habit of honesty, perhaps. It makes perfect sense to me that the boys would consult an available book for name ideas. Just think, though, if the book had been Moby Dick or Huckleberry Finn! Maybe one of them would've called himself Ishmael?

Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 am

Maz - I loved this whole challenge, Maz, but I burst out laughing with this line: “The number of times she’s had me shot I reckon you have.” Wonderful!

RosieAnnie - You did a great job with this!  You really sound like Harry Briscoe talking.  Loved how you had him going on and on, taking conversational rabbit holes left and right.  Very enjoyable challenge!

nm131 - Wonderful idea--adventure novels written about Kid Curry and the Yellowstone Rangers!  Loved the line where the author of this series of novels is revealed!  Another great idea to have HH write his own book.  The historical facts and notes that you have included make the story feel authentic.  Great job!

Nebraska Wildfire - Oh! Sad So in all the trains and banks they robbed they DID shoot someone...but no one ever knew they were Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry.  Sad story, but so very good!

InsideOutlaw - Ah, so this is how the Kid talked Heyes into trying for amnesty.  Love the lines between them.  This one stood out for me: “You’re sounding awful silvery yourself right now.” Great challenge, InsideOutlaw!

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Maz: LOL, I'm surprised neither one of them figured out what you really have in mind for the Kid! Fun tale.

RosieAnnie: As always, a great depiction of Harry Briscoe from his clipped speech to his silly squinting! It is fun to hear his side of the story but poor Johnson had a hard time keeping him on track, didn't he?

NM131: I need to catch up on your Yellowstone series as it's one of my favorite places and I've enjoyed the installments I've read so far. Can I get a copy of Heyes' new book?

Nevada Wildfire: Loved this explanation of the no violence rule, but how sad they had to learn the hard way. Jed was pretty pragmatic was about the shooting, but that's keeping in character for a future gunman. One would have to learn how to put the bad things to rest, i.e. what's done is done.

Sistergrace: Good explanation for how they chose their first names and I very much enjoyed the objections raised over some of the choices.

Thanks for the fun reads, Ladies!

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Nebraska Wildfire – I’d be regretting Sevierville, too, even after ten years. That had to have been traumatic killing a bank manager. That was a hard lesson to learn. The town must not have figured out who killed the manager since it was never pinned it on Heyes and Curry. Thinking about that would definitely darken the mood on New Year’s Eve.

two thumbs

Inside Outlaw – Love the wonderful descriptive writing of how they are staying warm, repairing a rein, and their place of concealment. LOL… loved how the Kid toyed with Heyes since he wasn’t listening. Oh, it’s a missing scene from the Pilot. I love missing scenes. Enjoy hearing their train of reasoning with Clem, Judge Hanley, and Lom. Very good challenge.

two thumbs

Sister Grace – So this is how they came up with Joshua and Thaddeus! Love how first names weren’t working for them with Smith and Jones and that the Kid realized there were lots of good names in the Bible. Very cute challenge.

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: January stories   Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm

More lovely stories...

Inside Outlaw:  I like the very practical discussion between the boys.  They weren't going after amnesty because of some inner remorse, or soul searching.  They seemed to almost wander into the decision, like the line about not planning for the future, because the might not be alive the next day.  I think that really fits the boys so well. (Oh, and it might be Arizona Wildfire soon, but not Nevada...)

sistergrace:  I loved how Heyes made such short and sweet work of finding his first name, but then banters the Kid over his choices.  Such a typical discussion between them.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Nebraska Wildfire - Yes, I bet the biggest regret would be the killing in Sevierville even if it was instinctual and not purposeful. It was a little bit of a twist that you had Heyes as the shooter but perhaps that provided a much needed lesson and cemented in the no violence edict of the grown man.

Inside Outlaw - Great missing scened. I like how you juxtaposed the everyday activity of repairing tack with the discussion of taking a potential life changing direction. The banter ranged from the humorous to the serious on the most natural of ways.

Sister Grace - LOVED the discussion about names! I don't know I might have stuck with at least Paul Jones. In a story full of chuckles, the fact that Heyes found his name rather easily and then rode Kid about his choices was fun but the best was Kid looking at the front of the Bible placed by the Gideons for inspiration.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Sister Grace - Too funny. I wondered myself about the uncharacteristic lack of posted stories in such a short month. I guess there will be fair number of wire dodgers. Love Heyes' confidence in himself that no stories is because he never needs a back up plan LOL! panda writing
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 am

Whoa, these were two very different challenges - one light and funny while the other was deep and dark!

Sister Grace - What a hilarious short story!  Loved the Heyes' explanation that no backup plan is needed for a Hannibal Heyes plan.  The Kid is going to be regretting the fact that he was disappointed no challenge yet since he'll be hurting in mine.  Loved it!  lol2

nm131 - I'm gonna guess this wasn't an easy challenge to write with lots of dialog talking about a deep and dark subject - killing.  Although, it shouldn't have surprised me that the author of Terms came up with this one.  The dialog seemed spot on for Heyes and Curry.  Excellent writing!  two thumbs

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Backup Plan   Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:54 am

sistergrace:  This made me smile, to think about the boys, or at least the Kid, checking to see if we’ve come up with some new tales about them.  I’ve read stories, where they aren’t fond of the tales being written about them, but they both have enough of an ego, that I think they’d be curious.
Tell Heyes some of us came up with a story at the beginning of the month, but have just been letting it steep.  reading

nm131:  Yes, Heyes needs a backup plan, because as the Kid obviously know very well, this isn’t Heyes.  I liked that you ended up with the boys back in balance, laughing, and ready to find an alternative.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:20 pm

Nebraska Wildfire - That was one hellva back up plan of Heyes, quite risky. The ones I feel sorry for are the horses having to give it there all, probably terrified, though that storm. I've never seen one but I got a good feeling for what one is like from this story. Good thing the sensible posse members prevailed as I doubt even an Apache would be able to find tracks. Thanks for the adventure.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 am

cac - lol2 "Good deals and trading" are just not Kid's forte (and Heyes is not much better). This enjoyable story reminded me of the horse trading in Brimstone and the traps in High Lonesome Country. The farmer Smith was great. It is even funnier when you explained the story inspiration. sunny bottle desert
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:10 pm

cac: Such a fun story, and so typical of the poor boys’ luck. Even more amusing that it was an actual story.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Sister Grace: First out of the gate! You know, a laptop would look like a slate of some sort, wouldn't it? Sorry to say, I don't have a back-up plan to offer this month. I don't even have a plan that needs a back-up. But some lovelies are already posting their offerings.

NM131: Plummer and his gang brought nothing but trouble for poor Heyes. This story is an excellent illustration of how much they understand each other, and what they are willing to do for each other. Curry really does save his life here.

Nebraska Wildfire: That is really scary and a desperate thing to do. I hate to think what Plan C might've been. You had me holding my breath, wondering if you were going to carry them through to safety.

CAC: At least it was an original idea Curry had, but it didn't turn out to be a viable back-up plan for poker success. Thank goodness the other Mr. Smith was so understanding.

Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Nebraska Wildfire – Running through a sand storm?  I’ve seen pictures of those on TV.  Can’t imagine the horses were too willing to go through that.  Love Curry’s “Heck, Heyes, I don’t think the devil himself could track us through that.”  And I loved this description - …he saw the posse itself swirling before the dust storm, which had almost reached them.  That was another close call for the boys!  Very good challenge.

applause

Cac – The Kid is an entrepreneur.  Well, he’s trying to be an entrepreneur, but not having much success at it.  With them yelling at each other after eight days, it reminds me of Heyes yelling at the Kid when Joe Simms captured them.  Loved the last paragraph with the “thousand unspoken words” and hearing what inspired your challenge.  

applause

Moulin P – An all too familiar place to be – in a jail cell figuring out how to escape.  Heyes told his partner his plans before jobs so why not before a jail break.  Only one escapes temporarily and they have to figure out the weight of something?  This ought to be interesting.  They’re in jail because the “something” got stolen?  How’s Heyes going to figure out the weight if it’s “stolen”?  hmm… Glad there’s more to come because I’m kinda confused.  At least they have the Kid’s back-up plan of both escaping.

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Moulin P - In jail and in need of a back up plan, I'm intrigued as to the why and what contraband.I'm with Kid here not sure I'd go for Heyes escaping and me sitting in jail either, but at least it's as Smith and Jones. Heyes reputation is somewhat based on his ability to think on his feet and come up with theories and plans on the fly not solely on his advance planning as you illustrate here.
jail

Penski - I always eagerly wait for your stories and this was a good one. I think Heyes will keep his promise of always having a back up plan after this narrowly adverted disaster. Curry's plan, as befitting a man of action, was adrenaline-fueled quick action. Loved Heyes comment "Usually my plans don’t need a back-up. They’re flawless.” - very typical of Heyes, a man of confident ego (charmingly so).
draw
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 am

Remuda - I really loved this one! Laughing Wheat's planning had me in stitches (no wonder the Devil's Hole Gang went down when Heyes and Curry left). A great visual to wake up with Heyes and the Kid in their underwear. And calling him Kyle - I do believe Kyle is rubbing off too much onto Wheat. Loved it!
applause

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 am

1) Sister Grace

Hello there Sister G. So, you were first out of the gate? The boys are sneaking a look at the secrets on your laptop? Tut tut.
Aww – they get worried if we gals forget them?

Snirt!! Relax boys. You see once Sister G broke the ice the others followed.

Thank you our resident good gal. Purr.

2) Nm131

It is our bandanny wearer. Welcome welcome!

Oooh – who has Heyes seen? Lovely hook in NM. What happened in the past? HH doing the gun cleaning rather than Kid. So, kinda a smiler with a gun situation in the past. Don’t do it Heyes!

Oh, Kid – you turned him around. Bless you. And Shorty’s name is actually Tallman? I love it.

3) Nebraska Wildfire

Poor boys – making their way through a sand storm. But it works … Very atmospheric Nebraska.

4) Cac

I dunno, Kid. Not sure you’re gonna find as many buyers as you think.

Loving the 8 days later and 5 days later editing. Poor Kid.

Inspired by a true story??? (Made me think of one of those Bob Hope and Bing Crosby films where someone sets up a café in the desert – but everyone thinks it is a mirage so doesn’t go.)

5) MoulinP

I am loving a plan being like a good wine. Also loving that the coin for the flip has been confiscated.

Is it a wheel of cheese?? Oooh, so someone else has stolen a weighty item and our boys have been blamed. Will March’s challenge let Moulin carry on with the tale??

6) Penski

Hello there Penski.

It’s a simple backup plan, Kid. Will it work? (Am picturing the townsfolk throwing the dynamite back – but I think that’s just cartoons.)

Oh, an injured Kid – and he’s being all brave and stoic about it.

Awww – next time HH promises a backup plan. We know you’ll get better, Kid.

7) Remuda

It is the return of the wire dodger!

I have to say, Wheat, that did work! You got their attention. So, he woke them up all sudden – so they didn’t get woke all sudden? Bless him.

That was such fun. Dear, dear Wheat.
Back to top Go down
nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:27 am

Remuda - Glad to see a story from you here this month. This is why Wheat isn't the leader - poor excuse of a back-up plan. Gotta love Wheat and Kyle, they're good hearted and great comic relief. You made my day with the visual of Kid, barefoot in just his long underwear and gunbelt coming to the "rescue". applause draw
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 am

Finishing up February chill

Penski: This story shows your skill with dialogue. I especially like the back-and-forth between Heyes and Curry while they're still in the bank. And poor Kid! He has to come up with the plan, carries out the most dangerous part (the shooting), and still gets a bullet in the leg.

Remuda: Thanks for the laugh! Yeah, Wheat is a little clueless here - maybe. And just maybe he enjoyed waking up Heyes and Curry like he did and seeing them run out in their underwear. Good last line, too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to    

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next