Alias Smith and Jones Writers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alias Smith and Jones Writers

A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19

Go down 
+15
Calico
InsideOutlaw
Elleree
Remuda
Cal
chelseagirl
Nebraska Wildfire
MoulinP
Alias Alice
Cornelia May
Penski
WichitaRed
cac
nm131
sistergrace
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Calico

Calico

Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Empty
PostSubject: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2017 2:31 am

TIME FOR A NEW THREAD ...  just over the fifteen page target.
egcat  egcat  egcat  egcat  egcat  egcat  egcat  egcat

1) WichitaRed

Darling Wheat, putting someone as short sighted as moi on look out.   Ooooh, so next month we get to see how the three stooges get off the roof.  Thinks hard about next month challenge.   Maybe.

2) Cal

Ooooh, discolated shoulder, ouch!  
Come on, Kid!  You can always jig your way out of a no gun town, smile.    Ahah, the guns go up on the roof.  I see.
Good heavens above!  You are planning a Nekkid Kid rant!  Way to make folk tune in for next episode.   This better be the real thing and not just feeling nekkid without his side piece.

3) NM

That song.   Huzzah … this used to be the BA advert didn’t it?  Love it.

I am really liking the first person voice in this story.   Oh, yes.  Nice and subtle – Kid feels trapped without a future too.  You dear boys.  And a good deed gets repaid with a character affidavit years later.   Loved that NM.

4) Nebraska Wildfire

Hey!  It is our bandanny wearer!  Very stylish knot there Wildfire.

Ah, a recognised bounty hunter.  Perfect kick off point.   Heyes hungry too?  Poor old Kid must be hollow as a drum.
You know what – after all the disbelief, you’d think they’d consider changing their aliases.    They are going to mend the roof.  Hope they get better weather than my roofers did.   Liking the picture of our sweaty boys hauling shingles.  Sigh.
Awww, wise comfort from our boys for the youngster.
Very nice.  

[NB: For any newbies – current bandanny winner never included in the poll.]

5) Maz

Maz???  On the board??  Is she lost?  

Good coffee quip from Preacher.  Snirt.
So – what the hell did happen up on that roof?

6) Cac

Oh we love them up on that Wickenberg roof.
Oh yes!  Can we get photo’ed with Kid in a fake gunslinger outfit???  Pleeeease.  
Or – for Maz – maybe in the speedos??

7) Cornelia May

Welcome back Cornelia.   You’ve been rifling the old west dictionary, huh?  Let’s see. Please can I go live in a town called Hopeless.   Blusteration.  Perfect for Wheat.  Bless him.

I feel sorry for Bronc.  He tricked them fair and square.  Tut, Heyes!
Love the vocabulary tag line!   That goes for all of us, huh?

8) Penski

They can’t know much about our two boys if they’re surprised they only have ten dollars on them.  Snirt.  
Love Kid admitting he sometimes wonders himself why they retired.
Clever Heyes – mutual benefit for all in getting them out of jail.

Dear Lom.  Any story with him in is always fine with me.

Last edited by Calico on Wed May 01, 2019 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: One mans....   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Dream on Calico...I recently read a story that put Kid in a pair of Speedos... I don't think I could go the full nekkid...

Maz.... Early bird posting...I like it!

I only have one issue with this delightful tale.... KID! YOU LEFT IT IN AN OLD CARDBOARD BOX IN THE LOFT!!!!!   I think he should have framed it.... That aside however....excellent choice of treasure and loved meeting the family.... a grandson, named for a gunslinger, with a liking for cats.... hum... wonder if he's a Calico ancestor.... glad Kid's reflexes are still quick enough to avoid Jed taking a fall... and I bet Kid can't believe no one shot him!
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Trash and Treasures   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Maz:
  I really enjoyed seeing the three generations together, that the Kid lived a long and seemingly peaceful life.  I also liked that I wasn't certain which of them it was until the last line.  I also wonder that it was in the attic, but after so many years (hopefully) maybe it had been misplaced.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 am

Finishing up my comments on the August challenges before I begin on September's.

InsideOutlaw - Your challenge was a lot of fun to read.  The Westernisms were a great idea.  Loved the ressurection of "Hotchkiss and Rembacker" and also the deliberate revealing of their real names at the end.

Penski -  A good story idea, great lines from both HH and KC, and a wonderful ending!  Well done, Penski!

Cornelia May

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Minor typo there Calico. I believe the story you gave me credit for was written by InsideOutlaw.

InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 9:03 am

Sorry I've been gone so much. Hopefully, real life will settle down soon and I can enjoy some great stories you all have been posting.

In case anyone's interested, here is a previously posted link to some western slang: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-slang.html

WichitaRed: You are still managing to keep your Destiny's Child going--impressed! Lol, too funny Wheat would give a Sharps to a nearly-blind man and then post him as lookout. Heyes had a right to be angry, but wasn't he the one to put Wheat in charge? LOLOL

Cal: Love all the great names used in this one. Kid had a tough choice to make. We all know Curry doesn't like to be separated from his hardware, but fortunately it worked out well for both of them.

NM131: Loved everything about this one! Inga Jewel provided great insight into our heroes with her own sad tale. I agree with the Kid--getting out in nature is the only way to feel truly free. Your story plays into them being called modern day Robin Hoods because they help the common people out with some of their hard won, easily lost gains. Do they do it out of a desire to help or a need to appease their conscience?

Sistergrace: Your story certainly fit this prompt. Funny how we all remember things differently. I love the opening lines with Grandpa Newman gently chiding and Heyes reverting to outlaw leader character.

NebraskaWildfire: If anyone knows about turning away from darkness, it's our two heroes. It's good that they could have a positive effect on their old friend's family.

Maz: I'm hoping we all get to find out what the hell happened, Lol.

Cac: Too funny, the Kid in a speedo. I hope he looked good, not too many guys do. Love that you set it in Ocean City; I lived there until I moved west. So he got some Mack & Manco's, but no Taylor pork roll??

Penski: I enjoyed the irony of Lom being the one to assure the deputy his past wouldn't disqualify him from his future plans. I did find myself hoping Riley would get what he deserved. Maybe his voters will deliver justice.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature." —Dave Barry
Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Cal - Kid, dear Kid, I know you're not stupid. Although,you can certainly be gullible, especially to damsels who appear to be in distress. And of course, Heyes is convincing and he most definitely is going to spin the tale to his advantage. Loved your insights into Gracie - she'll be running the whole shebang by Christmas and My, my, but she’s a class act. ... You saw the way she reeled me in, talking about Bannerman detectives and having me checked out by a Sheriff. What a woman. It was almost a privilege to see a real professional spinning a web like that. Well it would have been, if I hadn’t ended up in jail. ‘Course, I ended up a few nicer places before that but a gentleman never tells.

panda Thanks for the inventive letter from Kid Curry regarding an episode that isn't usually on my to watch list.

stage jail
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Maz – I love how you wrote the challenge so we weren’t sure who was who until almost the end.  Love little Jed and can imagine he was similar to his namesake when he was four years old.  You always have to go through a box and not assume there’s just rubbish in it.  Aww… he got “Am-ness-tee”.  Loved it!

applause  

Cal – I do like the Big Shell Game, but haven’t watched it in a while.  Kinda reminds me of another Newman/Redford movie.  Oh, a letter… we get to hear the Kid’s side of the story.  I can definitely see Grace Turner joining Soapy’s gang.  Loving how Heyes got the Kid outta town before Kenndry saw him.  You’re not stupid, Kid, but you do have one very clever partner.  Great read!

cac

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 1:18 pm

WR-

"Nice pistol."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then Kid's incredible line at the end. FREAKING HILARIOUS.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: One man's trash ...   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Cal:  I never felt so sorry for the Kid.  I didn't really ever feel sorry for him while I was watching the episode.  It was not the worst situation in which the boys had ever found themselves, unfortunately.  But when Heyes sent him looking for Mary Shelley, I knew things were going to go from bad to worse.  Of course, you redeemed Heyes in the end, and the Kid came out all right, so I should be happy...

WichitaRed:  This one was absolutely hilarious.  Poor Wheat. I wanted to feel sorry for Heyes, but the Kid kept trying to warn him.  He knew better, of course, always does.  I did love the end where he, as usual, makes the best of the situation, and simply owns it, with the Kid simply shaking his head.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: One man's trash -- overspill area   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Wichita:  Thank you for the kind comments.  I've heard it said you should write what you know.  I definitely know the plains, having lived on them my entire life.   Writing about their childhood lets me use that.

The bunnies kept hopping this month, and I came up with a second story on the Valparaiso arc, that fit the prompt.  I've posted it in the overspill area, if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
Penski
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

WichitaRed – Very nice visuals with Heyes clean and barefoot and the Kid stripping off the dirty clothes.  Great way to start a story!  OUCH – Wheat didn’t come off the roof easily.  Yeah, I can see where folks would be a bit upset with their leader.  Now there’s a Hannibal Heyes plan that I’m not too sure of (and neither is the Kid).  Oh, oh, I smell trouble.  Oh, now we have another lovely visual.  LOL… “nice pistol”.  What a fun challenge!

applause

Nebraska Wildfire – Poor Sarah doesn’t sound like she had the best marriage.  I like this picture of the Valpraiso with kind, but struggling financially sisters.  Nice to think that Heyes and the Kid would try their best to help out the orphanage with donations.  They came to deliver Mary knowing she’d have a decent life.  What a nice homecoming for the boys.  That was a very sweet challenge.

WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Nm131
I throughly enjoyed your story, it was welcome after a grueling day of work;bringing about many smiles. I enjoy the easy way you write all the characters..although from a writers point, you probably snort and sat , "easy!?" Still you achieve it with a confortable flow that has your dialogue feeling quite real. So, many good lines it would be hard to point them out. However, I did genuinely enjoy the opening talk with the leaders. Wow.. and taking the time to think up all the trash to treasures. Great job!
2thumbs

Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: One Man's Trash ...   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:24 pm

nm131: It was lovely to see what the boys get up to, when they're waiting for Heyes to come up with another brilliant plan. I can imagine it wasn't the first, nor the last, plan he had to devise to keep them from getting into trouble from boredom. The boys were very creative, and actually thoughtful. it was such a nice story to read today. I'd had some dental work and wasn't in the best of moods, when I saw there was a new story. Perfect. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: One mans Trash is another mans Treasure   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 12:52 am

WichitaRed - First thank you for the continuation.... good use of the word ....squinching... and plenty of fab visuals and japes in this one.  I did feel for Wheat... literally.... my legs crossed and I don't even own a pair! Nice pistol... had me crying.  lol2  Laughing  panda  Excellent challenge.

NBW - This was full of Autumn and mellow fruitfulness... the Golden Rod references were sprinkled through very artfully.  I liked the story very much...but more...I liked the way it was written and presented to us through the eyes of the women involved. applause  The tag was perfect.  congrats Great challenge, perfect for the time of year.

NM - This was just a romp... horsie  and no complaints from me.  I think it was nearly a crossover between Devils Hole and Little House on the Prairie barn  ....but that surrealism just made it more fun in my book.  Good thinking on the trash presents....  kazoo that button target thing....genius!
Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Whichita Red - Well Kid did try to warn Heyes. I know I should feel sorry for Heyes but he does get a little over confident and smug sometimes and Wheat is just the one to jump in a try to take him down a peg or two, without being mean about it. Just like everyone else, the line "Nice pistol" and Curry's crack at the end was pure genius. I like how you insert natural everyday action into your stories like dressing and undressing and make it interesting. It was also skillful how you hint here and there of Heyes vulnerability hidden behind the usual intelligent brash bravado.
horsepoker

Nebraska Wildfire
- Your writing is atmospheric, you have a gift for taking us to a time and place. Sarah and the Sisters seem very real as does the plains in autumn. I've never been to that part of the country but I feel I'm getting to know them and the people from reading your stories. I can sympathize with Sarah's husband, allergies are miserable! I'm sure Heyes feels better for leaving Mary with the Sisters.
grouphug

Cornelia May
- Thank you for the a tale from the very end on one of your ASJ universes. So Heyes outlived most, if not all, of his contemporaries to the ripe old age of 90. It's good that he still have caring caregivers and loving relatives in his old age. You captured the nostalgia that the elderly have for the treasured possessions which represents their history. it is indeed difficult to assign items not longer needed to the trash heap but are still treasured in their hearts. I'm glad the grandkids will treasure the treasures.

cowboyclap
Back to top Go down
Cal

Cal

PostSubject: One mans Trash is another mans Treasure   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Nelia - I nursed my dad till he was ninety, so it was easy for me to see a Heyes... ninety going on 31 ... hanging on to his memories through his treasured possessions. Fancy the hat lasting that long... guess he was never going to replace it. Sad, but wonderful to think of them seeing the wonders of the twentieth century... and the horrors of course.  That generation must have felt they'd lived a dozen lives before their dotage. What stories he must tell! applause
Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Cornelia may  trash to treasure
It was a very sweet story and well  told, very good reminder of what is valuable to a person. Enjoyed little bit's Momentos and stories that you talked about. It's always saddens me to see them and stories when you're old, however I still think you did a wonderful job on this one

Last edited by WichitaRed on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.redrockphotography.com
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 pm

I am tickled y'all liked the line, "nice pistol". You know, I'll probably never come up with one quite as good again

Calico

Calico

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 3:36 am

Huzzah, thought I was going to be locked out today but – nah. I am popping to put kettle on… Hey, I can see Maz is first out of the trap so I may need copious tea either to snicker through or to offer a very hurt Kid.

1) Maz

A new kitten? Nothing but fur clad trouble. And lurrrrve obviously.

Is it the amnesty?? Bet it is. Frame it!

Awwwwww. Nice and simple and touching. Gentle sniff.

2) Cal

Kid wrote us a letter! (Usually some gals only hear via his lawyers … i.e. ‘let my client out of your cellar’.)

Mary Shelley? Oh poor Kid.

You know what, I always liked Grace. Feminine version of our two boys. OR feminine version of Joe the bounty hunter.

Clever bit of back story there Cal.

3) WichitaRed

Ah, we are gonna get poor old Wheat off that roof. Consider me slurping tea and reading on.

Poor Wheat! He has bruised his important little places.

Now, Kid – women twenty years your senior are not to be avoided you know. Ahem.

Oooh, Wheat is not so dumb, huh?

Heyes – we love you even when you’ve been bested and an old pair of ragged pantaloons are your best treasure.

Fun to see Wheat winning out for once, Wichita.

4) Nebraska Wildfire

Ah, a little more backstory as to how our boys came to be supporting the orflanage? Awww.

Oh, sniffle. All those missed chances and the trying to make amends.

5) Nm131

Hello there bandanny wearer. Is it snuggly warm?

Aww, so Kyle is kinda like a pet and everyone likes to throw him a bone. We can relate to that.
They are basically having a Birthday Secret Santa. There are not enough AWWs on the keyboard. Oh, what clever boys! Love the presents. Darling Kid to take such trouble for Heyes.

6) Cornelia May

Heyes is handing over his hat? His HAT? Gosh. And passing on his old photos. Sniff. Growing old is not for the faint hearted.

Very nice use of the prompt.

7) Penski

Here she is! You can set your clock by her.

I want to live in a town called Total Wreck!!!!

Oh well bluffed Kid! Well done! Very neatly told, Penski.

Back to top Go down
WichitaRed
WichitaRed

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 7:14 am

Penske
I was not the least bit surprised to see your post when I got up this morning. And happy it was there. For once their luck actually held out. Good seeing them getting upper hand, Talk about taking a leap of faith using a firearm like you described, lock it in a jam or rupture in his hand. Thing is I could really see their big smiles at the end. Thank you for sharing

Nebraska Wildfire

Nebraska Wildfire

PostSubject: Trash and Treasures   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Corneila May:  It was so nice to see that Heyes made it to 90 and still had that brilliant mind functioning.  It was also nice for him to have grandkids who appreciated the trash and treasures he chose to pass along.  I've read that the Millennials do not treasure things as much as prior generations, but I think they still appreciate the history.  My daughter told me I needed to document the story with each piece I treasure, so that she can make certain to keep the most important ones.  :-)

Penski:  This story shows very well one aspect of the boys that I think we all love, their drive and ability to keep trying and never give up.  I like that Heyes, of course, had a plan, but that the Kid found a way to implement it.  Such a fun and lovely story.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm

September stories: Treasures galore, and absolutely no trash.

Maz: I was half-prepared to dislike Ellie, but she came around when she realized something important was happening. It's always nice to see one of our heroes end up with a loving family around him.

Cal: He's absolutely right; he isn't stupid. And yeah, Grace might be just the type to end up running things! Must be a story in there somewhere, right?

Wichita Red: "Was that Wheat taking the fast route down?" Laughing And a "too smart for his own good boy." Yeah, Curry understands his partner for sure. No surprise Wheat would want a little payback.

Nebraska Wildfire: I do enjoy your stories that center around the orphanage. Very realistic, and very sweet.

NM131: Who's more creative, you or the outlaws? It's a tie, I think! And yeah, all that work would keep a bunch of ornery outlaws busy, and keep them out of trouble. Well done.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 pm

More from September.

Cornelia May: Ah, the objects we care about . . . They may be dusty, but our memories are fresh, and the people we knew back then are still young. Those are definitely the kind of things the family would want to keep.

Penski: Trash did turn into treasure, didn't it? And that gun only had to fire one time, with Kid Curry's reputation to back it up.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
nm131

nm131

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Penski - - Well done, I kept checking the website, waiting for your story and finally went to bed, secure in the knowledge it would be there the next day. Thanks, I do look forward to your wire dodging.

Well, luck finally held for them, a gun that worked when it needed to, and edible provisions to boot. Heyes should know better than to try to talk Curry out of a gun, any gun is better than going nekkid in his blue eyes. I have to admit I am envious about the name of the town - Total Wreck and was surprised to find out it was a real name. I bed a lot of people, me included thinks their town should be called Total Wreck at times.

Thanks for another adventure.
desert sparkleshoe Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 772919260

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19   Awestruck comments  2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Awestruck comments 2nd Sept 17 to 30 April 19
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next