A forum devoted to writers of Alias Smith and Jones Fan Fiction

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Why do you vote how you vote?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cac

PostSubject: Why do you vote how you vote?   Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 pm

I've been mulling this over the last few months since there have been quite a few stories that vied for my vote each time.

Sometimes, I want to vote for the best written story, even if it's not the most memorable. But I have voted for a story because one single sentence was JUST THAT GOOD.

Sometimes, I want to vote for the story that I thought about for days after, even if it's not the best one written.

Sometimes, I want to vote for the overall story that one particular month's story is a part of because I like the overall story so much.

Sometimes I pick a clever story, sometimes an emotional one. I will say that if the story ends weakly, then I don't pick it, even if I loved it up until then.

I really debate quite a bit before I vote and wonder what other people's criteria is.
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnie

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:50 am

Interesting question!

Many times, there's one story that just grabs me at an emotional level. The month may feature 10 good tales well-told, but that one . . . that one stands out for me.

At the most basic level, I have to see the essentials of English grammar. I rarely, if ever, see issues with that anymore, but I do remember seeing stories on different websites where the rules of sentence structure and punctuation weren't followed. The writer didn't run a spell check, and there were numerous typos and misspellings. I won't even finish reading that story. If the author is too lazy to edit, I'm not interested.

I love to see a different perspective that is reasonable, fits into the AS&J universe, and offers something fresh. Alias Alice's winning story from a few months ago, about the fortune teller at the fair who finds herself giving uncannily accurate readings to three young women, is a good example. It was a fresh perspective. It gave us some background on an event most fanfic writers know about. It introduced a new character, the fortune teller, and explored her reactions and feelings. I loved that story.

I enjoy seeing the standard characters in a fresh light. Inside Outlaw did a story last year, in which a bank robbery goes awry, and Kyle saves the day. Kyle is a beloved character in fan fiction, but he doesn't usually get to be the hero. And it all made sense. That was another story for which I voted.

Sometimes a writer uses a different story structure and handles it beautifully. I remember Calico's "five years earlier," which was written in an episodic style. Each section was short, but was a story into itself that carried the theme. That one still stands out.

If someone writes in the first person and carries it off, that might get my vote. Writing in the first person is an easy way to go wrong. When it's done well, I'm impressed. It's the same with writing in the present tense. It's hard to do well.

Thanks, Cac, for posing the question. You really made me think!

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Penski

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16 am

I vote for stories that after I read it I think, "Wow, that was good!" It has to have minimal errors and a great line or scene doesn't hurt. What's really important is that it sounds like something Heyes and Curry would do or say. I've read a few stories and thought there was no way they would say or do that.

I do not vote for the writer nor do I vote for myself so I get at least one.

cac

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

That's a good point, Penski. I don't vote for the writer or for myself either.

RosieAnnie, I remember the first two you mentioned and just went back to check out Calico's story. What a neat idea! I read the rest of them too, and wow, did you ever write more with the Jake Wheeler storyline?

I agree about the grammar issues with one exception: Drena's stories. She was the first fanfic writer I ever read, and I love, love, love about 80% of her stories. But I'd willingly edit them if I could!
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:54 pm

I don't really have a formula for casting my vote, but I have enjoyed reading all of your thoughts about this.

When I vote, I don't pay attention to who the writer is. I look for a story that stands out in some way, either emotionally or with writing style, and also a story that speaks to the prompt in the best way, or in a unique way.

That's about it.

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Oh! One more thing. I look for a story where the characters are speaking and behaving in a way that rings "true" to the series. cigar

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 am

I don't vote for myself, either. It is fun doing the challenges, because each prompt makes me think. Sometimes I have great ideas -- well, at least I think they're great! -- but the month gets crazy, and I don't commit anything to paper. Or to the computer screen, more accurately. Even so, I really enjoy seeing how other people have been inspired.

"The failure in doing something is stopping too soon."
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

OOOh interesting thoughts

I just go with gut instinct. Usually one stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I must be doing something right though because I've voted every month for over a year now and I've never failed to vote for the winner.
Back to top Go down
sistergrace

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:19 pm

That's an amazing track record, Cal! Now, speaking of picking winners, any thoughts on lottery numbers? sparkleshoe

PostSubject: Re: Why do you vote how you vote?   

Back to top Go down

Why do you vote how you vote?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1